Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

just in.. Pack releasing Nelson

ShocknAwe80 : 3/13/2018 4:30 pm
I would 100% kick those tires. Threadshit with funny gifs!
Give me Nelson over Marshall any day  
nyjuggernaut2 : 3/13/2018 4:31 pm : link
.
.  
arcarsenal : 3/13/2018 4:31 pm : link
Nelson is injury prone and was a complete non-factor without Rodgers.

Buyer beware.

I'd pass.
.  
arcarsenal : 3/13/2018 4:33 pm : link
I shouldn't say he's injury prone - that's not really fair.

But he did miss all of 2015, and got banged up again towards the end of last season.

My point remains - very ineffective without Rodgers and the price tag will probably be high. I wouldn't be a buyer on Nelson.
He's gonna go to Dallas.  
Giants in 07 : 3/13/2018 4:36 pm : link
Ugh
RE: He's gonna go to Dallas.  
adamg : 3/13/2018 4:37 pm : link
In comment 13862709 Giants in 07 said:
Quote:
Ugh
Good call. That's a good fit. I hope he's toast.
i don't know...  
ShocknAwe80 : 3/13/2018 4:37 pm : link
All I can say is that I"m getting excited thinking about the offense trotting out with beck, nelson, engram and shep.
I'm.not even saying the word  
idiotsavant : 3/13/2018 4:44 pm : link
WR until we fix the line. F off.
Just in,  
RottenApple : 3/13/2018 4:44 pm : link
Aging receivers on their last legs need not apply. Gettleman has a plan, just ask Norwell.
Phins  
Dragon : 3/13/2018 4:46 pm : link
Just needed to wait a few hours before signing Wilson and maybe Amendola FA sucks.
Nelson >>>>>>> Marshall  
Beezer : 3/13/2018 4:46 pm : link

All things factored.
.  
Danny Kanell : 3/13/2018 4:46 pm : link
I actually think he’d be a pretty good fit
He was a non factor  
ryanmkeane : 3/13/2018 4:49 pm : link
without Rodgers because the other QB isn't good...
RE: He was a non factor  
arcarsenal : 3/13/2018 4:54 pm : link
In comment 13862733 ryanmkeane said:
Quote:
without Rodgers because the other QB isn't good...


Yet 34 year old Larry Fitzgerald caught over 100 passes with Blaine Gabbert and Drew Stanton spending half the season starting for Arizona.

Are those guys good?
Jordy Nelson  
Jerry K : 3/13/2018 4:54 pm : link
Durability may be a problem but he's the kind of receiver who might be a good fit here. He's a bigger receiver with good hands, decent speed, and experience.
Graham to Pack.  
old man : 3/13/2018 4:54 pm : link
Danny A to Phins.
Brees to Saints...shocked;-).
Cousins to Vikes.
Bradford to Cards.
Watkins to Chiefs.
It's heating up folks.
NO  
BigBlue4You09 : 3/13/2018 4:57 pm : link
Big fat NO
Nelson  
mrvax : 3/13/2018 4:57 pm : link
will be 33 this year. Caution.
.  
arcarsenal : 3/13/2018 5:06 pm : link
Hell, forget Fitzgerald.. Adams had a pro-bowl year on the same team.

Nelson benefitted more than anyone else from Rodgers' ability to extend plays and exploit busted coverages.

He'd have to be pretty inexpensive for me to think the Giants should be signing him. He's also not a long-term solution. He's getting up there in age. Already been in the league for a decade.
He has  
The 12th Man : 3/13/2018 7:11 pm : link
Cowboys written all over him.
RE: NO  
AcidTest : 3/13/2018 7:28 pm : link
In comment 13862747 BigBlue4You09 said:
Quote:
Big fat NO


+1. Better than Marshall, but still not good enough to sign given his age and injury history. I agree he's probably headed for the Cowboys.
Jordy never regained his quicks one year after ACL  
dcp : 3/13/2018 8:52 pm : link
so could not separate from DB's. Maybe in year two, he finds his speed. Wrong side of 30 however. 2017, 53 catches, 482 yards, 9.1/catch, 6 TDS, not impressed.
Sure. If we're signing 30 year old RBs  
Ten Ton Hammer : 3/13/2018 8:59 pm : link
why not go for beat up WRs too?
RE: .  
Section331 : 3/13/2018 9:28 pm : link
In comment 13862763 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
He'd have to be pretty inexpensive for me to think the Giants should be signing him. He's also not a long-term solution. He's getting up there in age. Already been in the league for a decade.


I have to agree. I agree that Rodgers was pretty instrumental in Nelson’s success, and that was before the ACL injury. I’d look elsewhere.
Fitzgerald has played the slot for a few years.  
MOOPS : 3/13/2018 10:50 pm : link
Nelson is not a slot receiver. And he never will be.
That's the difference in numbers and effectiveness.
Pats need a white receiver...  
bw in dc : 3/13/2018 10:55 pm : link
now that Amendola left... ;)
RE: Fitzgerald has played the slot for a few years.  
arcarsenal : 3/13/2018 11:18 pm : link
In comment 13863582 MOOPS said:
Quote:
Nelson is not a slot receiver. And he never will be.
That's the difference in numbers and effectiveness.


Has nothing to do with that - there are a billion examples of good WR's who still produce with poor QB's.

DeAndre Hopkins had a massive year.

96/1378/13 and that was with Tom Savage and TJ Yates spending more than half the season starting.

Forget Fitzgerald. Davante Adams was on the same team as Nelson, isn't a slot guy, and had the same crappy QB play when Hundley was under center and still had a much better year than Nelson.

Here's what Nelson did with Rodgers sidelined

Week 7: 1 catch, 13 yards
Week 8: 4 catches, 35 yards
Week 9: 3 catches, 20 yards
Week 10: 2 catches, 24 yards
Week 11: 3 catches, 11 yards
Week 12: 5 catches, 17 yards
Week 13: 4 catches, 33 yards
Week 15: 3 catches, 11 yards

0 touchdowns with Rodgers sidelined.

Nelson is one dimensional and isn't getting any younger. If you want to blame Hundley for all of those games where he was literally no factor whatsoever, go ahead - I saw a guy who couldn't get separation, couldn't get open, and couldn't make any plays without Rodgers under center. I saw quite a bit of GB this past season.

I don't see any benefit for the Giants here. Nelson is going to be 33 years old when next season starts and I wouldn't touch him.

Let Dallas have him.
RE: RE: Fitzgerald has played the slot for a few years.  
MOOPS : 3/14/2018 2:12 am : link
In comment 13863610 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
In comment 13863582 MOOPS said:


Quote:


Nelson is not a slot receiver. And he never will be.
That's the difference in numbers and effectiveness.



Has nothing to do with that - there are a billion examples of good WR's who still produce with poor QB's.

DeAndre Hopkins had a massive year.

96/1378/13 and that was with Tom Savage and TJ Yates spending more than half the season starting.

Forget Fitzgerald. Davante Adams was on the same team as Nelson, isn't a slot guy, and had the same crappy QB play when Hundley was under center and still had a much better year than Nelson.

Here's what Nelson did with Rodgers sidelined

Week 7: 1 catch, 13 yards
Week 8: 4 catches, 35 yards
Week 9: 3 catches, 20 yards
Week 10: 2 catches, 24 yards
Week 11: 3 catches, 11 yards
Week 12: 5 catches, 17 yards
Week 13: 4 catches, 33 yards
Week 15: 3 catches, 11 yards

0 touchdowns with Rodgers sidelined.

Nelson is one dimensional and isn't getting any younger. If you want to blame Hundley for all of those games where he was literally no factor whatsoever, go ahead - I saw a guy who couldn't get separation, couldn't get open, and couldn't make any plays without Rodgers under center. I saw quite a bit of GB this past season.

I don't see any benefit for the Giants here. Nelson is going to be 33 years old when next season starts and I wouldn't touch him.

Let Dallas have him.


Nelson v Fitzgerald, position absolutely plays into production.
Nelson with Hundley: Long game. Targets went down. Bread and butter back shoulder with Rogers non-existent due to lack of timing and rapport. Doesn't get open in short spaces.
Fitzgerald with Gabbert and Stanton: Short game. Targets remained the same. Still quick.
Nelson's game requires rapport with his QB. Fitzgerald's, not so much.



This guy would be a serious upgrade over Marshall  
PatersonPlank : 3/14/2018 9:50 am : link
Why not if the price is right? Some people don't want to pick up anyone.
RE: This guy would be a serious upgrade over Marshall  
Section331 : 3/14/2018 10:00 am : link
In comment 13864101 PatersonPlank said:
Quote:
Why not if the price is right? Some people don't want to pick up anyone.


At this time last year, many were saying the same about Marshall being a serious upgrade over VC (I know, I was one of them!). I'm not totally against it, Nelson is a savvy vet, and I think he and Eli could work well together, but he is 33. I'd rather look for someone younger.
RE: RE: RE: Fitzgerald has played the slot for a few years.  
arcarsenal : 3/14/2018 11:03 am : link
In comment 13863705 MOOPS said:
Quote:
In comment 13863610 arcarsenal said:


Quote:


In comment 13863582 MOOPS said:


Quote:


Nelson is not a slot receiver. And he never will be.
That's the difference in numbers and effectiveness.



Has nothing to do with that - there are a billion examples of good WR's who still produce with poor QB's.

DeAndre Hopkins had a massive year.

96/1378/13 and that was with Tom Savage and TJ Yates spending more than half the season starting.

Forget Fitzgerald. Davante Adams was on the same team as Nelson, isn't a slot guy, and had the same crappy QB play when Hundley was under center and still had a much better year than Nelson.

Here's what Nelson did with Rodgers sidelined

Week 7: 1 catch, 13 yards
Week 8: 4 catches, 35 yards
Week 9: 3 catches, 20 yards
Week 10: 2 catches, 24 yards
Week 11: 3 catches, 11 yards
Week 12: 5 catches, 17 yards
Week 13: 4 catches, 33 yards
Week 15: 3 catches, 11 yards

0 touchdowns with Rodgers sidelined.

Nelson is one dimensional and isn't getting any younger. If you want to blame Hundley for all of those games where he was literally no factor whatsoever, go ahead - I saw a guy who couldn't get separation, couldn't get open, and couldn't make any plays without Rodgers under center. I saw quite a bit of GB this past season.

I don't see any benefit for the Giants here. Nelson is going to be 33 years old when next season starts and I wouldn't touch him.

Let Dallas have him.



Nelson v Fitzgerald, position absolutely plays into production.
Nelson with Hundley: Long game. Targets went down. Bread and butter back shoulder with Rogers non-existent due to lack of timing and rapport. Doesn't get open in short spaces.
Fitzgerald with Gabbert and Stanton: Short game. Targets remained the same. Still quick.
Nelson's game requires rapport with his QB. Fitzgerald's, not so much.




You're too fixated on Fitzgerald.

Hopkins had a huge year with 3 different QB's. He didn't "require rapport" - he gets open and makes plays because he's far better than Nelson.

Davante Adams didn't seem too phased by his rapport with Hundley, either.

Nelson is a one trick pony who has benefitted from the best QB in the sport. For me, it's a major pass.
I'm not saying sign Nelson.  
MOOPS : 3/14/2018 11:46 am : link
It would be a waste of money for the Giants.
I'm just comparing his stats to Fitz and pointing out the differences and reasons.

I'm just responding to what you wrote, here:


Yet 34 year old Larry Fitzgerald caught over 100 passes with Blaine Gabbert and Drew Stanton spending half the season starting for Arizona.

Are those guys good?
.  
arcarsenal : 3/14/2018 11:50 am : link
I know - Fitzgerald wasn't the best comp.

All I'm trying to illustrate is the stark difference in production for Nelson with and without Rodgers.

He was almost a complete zero without AR under center. All DB's had to do was keep him in front of them and he didn't get open.

I also haven't seen the same gear he used to have since his ACL popped - which would also just be age-related.

In any event, I'd steer clear.
Back to the Corner