Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFLN: Fully expect Josh Allen to go 1

twostepgiants : 4/9/2018 11:01 pm
Marcus Mosher
@Marcus_Mosher
Just now on NFL Network, @MoveTheSticks said that "people that know people inside the Browns" fully expect Josh Allen to be the pick at No.1.
7:35 PM ∑ Apr 9, 2018


Here is a full article by Browns Wire from USA Today on it

If we believe the rumors then: Giants go Darnold?
Article - ( New Window )
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
RE: RE: You Darnold guys are going to cry  
Big Rick in FL : 4/10/2018 6:42 am : link
In comment 13907358 Emil said:
Quote:
In comment 13907357 NikkiMac said:


Quote:


When the Giants select Josh Rosen

I believe Colin when he says the owners flying to LA to

Interview Rosen with 8 man contingency was a big tell

And Mara sent Jerry Reese out to see him before he got fired.......



Maybe but Mara didnít fly to LA. That was misreported. Tisch was there but Mara was not.


I don't think so. Josh Rosen is the one that said he was at dinner.
RE: Also  
NikkiMac : 4/10/2018 6:45 am : link
In comment 13907281 twostepgiants said:
Quote:
This comes in addition to a report from SIís Peter King and the MMQB, in which King said that one of Dorseyís friends believes that he will select Josh Allen with the first overall pick.


Two step this was predicted by the 2 sports announcers at the

Wyoming bowl game last year they were saying all game that they thought he was going to Cleveland so Iím not surprised.....
RE: From a business standpoint  
Zepp : 4/10/2018 6:50 am : link
In comment 13907360 SHO'NUFF said:
Quote:
with OBJ and Barkley...we would no doubt be #1 in merchandise sales and double up on a whole new generation of Giants fans. This could prove to be more valuable in the long run.


If DG wants to go safe and compete now this is the move. Taking a QB here could be career suicide because the team will be tops mediocre until the QB is ready and if the QB busts its over for DG. The NFL is not a 5 year wait and see. DG very well knows that if they don't compete now his job is in jeopardy.

Again this is not madden where you can be patient and this is not fantasy football where you draft need. This is the Not For Long league and if you mess around drafting insurance policies, which is pretty much what drafting a QB at 2 is doing, then you're putting a lot of faith that the QB you get will be a franchise QB and not in 2-3 years possibly next year.

The right move is to draft Barkley, compete for the playoffs the next 2 years with one of the most dynamic offenses in the league, and develop Webb. Win-Win-Win.
RE: RE: RE: You Darnold guys are going to cry  
Emil : 4/10/2018 6:53 am : link
In comment 13907361 Big Rick in FL said:
Quote:
In comment 13907358 Emil said:


Quote:


In comment 13907357 NikkiMac said:


Quote:


When the Giants select Josh Rosen

I believe Colin when he says the owners flying to LA to

Interview Rosen with 8 man contingency was a big tell

And Mara sent Jerry Reese out to see him before he got fired.......



Maybe but Mara didnít fly to LA. That was misreported. Tisch was there but Mara was not.



I don't think so. Josh Rosen is the one that said he was at dinner.


He misspoke. It was Chris Mara, not John Mara
Link - ( New Window )
I find that hard to believe  
Big Rick in FL : 4/10/2018 6:57 am : link
He's a very very smart person. It'd be very hard to confuse the owner of the team for the VP of Player Evaluation. Especially since during the interview Rosen's people were correcting things that Rich Eisen said. I would think they would have corrected that. Pretty big difference.

Either way they had a ton of people out for a dinner with him.
RE: No way it's Allen  
GFAN52 : 4/10/2018 6:58 am : link
In comment 13907317 Joey in VA said:
Quote:
I don't buy it for a second.


I don't either. Sportswriters that follow the Browns on a regular basis, like Mary Kay Cabot don't believe it either. Darnold will be the Browns pick.
RE: I find that hard to believe  
Zepp : 4/10/2018 6:59 am : link
In comment 13907368 Big Rick in FL said:
Quote:
He's a very very smart person. It'd be very hard to confuse the owner of the team for the VP of Player Evaluation. Especially since during the interview Rosen's people were correcting things that Rich Eisen said. I would think they would have corrected that. Pretty big difference.

Either way they had a ton of people out for a dinner with him.


Sounds like a guy whose main focus isn't football. Oh wait thats one of the red flags on him. Hmmmmmm
RE: RE: No way it's Allen  
Zepp : 4/10/2018 7:00 am : link
In comment 13907370 GFAN52 said:
Quote:
In comment 13907317 Joey in VA said:


Quote:


I don't buy it for a second.



I don't either. Sportswriters that follow the Browns on a regular basis, like Mary Kay Cabot don't believe it either. Darnold will be the Browns pick.


They've been saying its gonna be Allen for the Browns for a couple of months now. I'm with you I can't see it. Way too much of a risk for the Browns.
RE: A little over two weeks to go until the draft  
Klaatu : 4/10/2018 7:01 am : link
In comment 13907292 blueblood said:
Quote:
officially known as "LYING SEASON"... I wouldnt believe anything anyone says right now..


I don't believe you.
Zepp  
Nomad Crow on the Madison : 4/10/2018 7:03 am : link
Unless, of course, you pick a FRANCHISE QB at #2, which is what Rosen and possibly Allen will be. Then your legacy and your team is set for 12 years. And a 3rd or 4th round RB helps to carry the load with Gallman, Perkins and Stewart. Name the last team to make it to the SB with a 1st round RB.
RE: I find that hard to believe  
Emil : 4/10/2018 7:05 am : link
In comment 13907368 Big Rick in FL said:
Quote:
He's a very very smart person. It'd be very hard to confuse the owner of the team for the VP of Player Evaluation. Especially since during the interview Rosen's people were correcting things that Rich Eisen said. I would think they would have corrected that. Pretty big difference.

Either way they had a ton of people out for a dinner with him.


After the interview NYG beat writers said John Mara was not there. This was clarified day of the quote, but nation figures continue to misrepresent this. Also, Yesterday on Big Blue Kickoff Live the hosts said John Mara had not gone out to meet Rosen. Either way, the Giants certainly sent a ton of top brass to see Rosen. Plus we are in the lying season.
RE: RE: I find that hard to believe  
Big Rick in FL : 4/10/2018 7:06 am : link
In comment 13907371 Zepp said:
Quote:
In comment 13907368 Big Rick in FL said:


Quote:


He's a very very smart person. It'd be very hard to confuse the owner of the team for the VP of Player Evaluation. Especially since during the interview Rosen's people were correcting things that Rich Eisen said. I would think they would have corrected that. Pretty big difference.

Either way they had a ton of people out for a dinner with him.



Sounds like a guy whose main focus isn't football. Oh wait thats one of the red flags on him. Hmmmmmm



Holy shit you're annoying. Give it a fucking rest.
RE: RE: RE: I find that hard to believe  
Zepp : 4/10/2018 7:07 am : link
In comment 13907377 Big Rick in FL said:
Quote:
In comment 13907371 Zepp said:


Quote:


In comment 13907368 Big Rick in FL said:


Quote:


He's a very very smart person. It'd be very hard to confuse the owner of the team for the VP of Player Evaluation. Especially since during the interview Rosen's people were correcting things that Rich Eisen said. I would think they would have corrected that. Pretty big difference.

Either way they had a ton of people out for a dinner with him.



Sounds like a guy whose main focus isn't football. Oh wait thats one of the red flags on him. Hmmmmmm




Holy shit you're annoying. Give it a fucking rest.


In other words even you can't defend the manifestation of this very well known red flag.
RE: Zepp  
Zepp : 4/10/2018 7:13 am : link
In comment 13907374 Nomad Crow on the Madison said:
Quote:
Unless, of course, you pick a FRANCHISE QB at #2, which is what Rosen and possibly Allen will be. Then your legacy and your team is set for 12 years. And a 3rd or 4th round RB helps to carry the load with Gallman, Perkins and Stewart. Name the last team to make it to the SB with a 1st round RB.


Here we go with the Super Bowl talking point. How can you say that when the team that just won the super bowl was led by Nick Foles and played by a QB drafted in the 6th round? Or that LeGarette Blount probably would've been a 1st round pick had he not had his issues?

As I've said if they really really believe the franchise QB is there then they should get him. But without the knowledge of the future, taking one of these QB's is extremely risky because they have tremendous red flags and could easily bust all over the place.

This is about risk analysis. If DG wants to roll the dice he can but I don't think any one of you would take that much of a risk if your job and reputation, on display for the country to see, was on the line.
Don't get it  
jeff57 : 4/10/2018 7:28 am : link
Of the top 4 QBs, Allen has the most question marks. I guess the Giants would then pick Darnold.
What is it about Cleveland that makes people stupid?  
Brown Recluse : 4/10/2018 7:31 am : link
The Browns have done everything they can to bring in people who can turn that franchise around. Picking Josh Allen over Darnold and Rosen is just more of the same.
RE: What is it about Cleveland that makes people stupid?  
GFAN52 : 4/10/2018 7:33 am : link
In comment 13907383 Brown Recluse said:
Quote:
The Browns have done everything they can to bring in people who can turn that franchise around. Picking Josh Allen over Darnold and Rosen is just more of the same.


It'll be put to rest when they select Darnold which I fully expect and also come away with Barkley at 4.
RE: RE: From a business standpoint  
ajr2456 : 4/10/2018 7:34 am : link
In comment 13907364 Zepp said:
Quote:


If DG wants to go safe and compete now this is the move. Taking a QB here could be career suicide because the team will be tops mediocre until the QB is ready and if the QB busts its over for DG. The NFL is not a 5 year wait and see. DG very well knows that if they don't compete now his job is in jeopardy.

Again this is not madden where you can be patient and this is not fantasy football where you draft need. This is the Not For Long league and if you mess around drafting insurance policies, which is pretty much what drafting a QB at 2 is doing, then you're putting a lot of faith that the QB you get will be a franchise QB and not in 2-3 years possibly next year.

The right move is to draft Barkley, compete for the playoffs the next 2 years with one of the most dynamic offenses in the league, and develop Webb. Win-Win-Win.


There's no logic behind any of this post.

Taking a RB 2 would be the Madden/fantasy football version you're alluding to
If Darnold is there I hope they take him  
DavidinBMNY : 4/10/2018 7:41 am : link
QB is the most important position in the game. Yes Darnold has some negative elements like Eli to his game (turnovers). So what? He also gets hot and is big in the clutch like Eli.

This is a question about the next 15 years of Giants football. Darnold is the guy I want - He's a guy I can envision winning a playoff game for you.

Unless Davis Webb is something this staff feels right now can start and be at least an average starter then you go get Darnold.

Allen's accuracy, Rosen's health, and Baker being baker scare me off slightly from those 3.

I just can't see Cleveland passing on Darnold on the upside of Allen. Sure his accuracy has improved during the pre-draft process, but what about in game time - will he revert to form? Accuracy is not easy to correct.

Make it happen Cleveland go get Allen.
RE: RE: RE: RE: I find that hard to believe  
Big Rick in FL : 4/10/2018 7:50 am : link
In comment 13907378 Zepp said:
Quote:
In comment 13907377 Big Rick in FL said:


Quote:


In comment 13907371 Zepp said:


Quote:


In comment 13907368 Big Rick in FL said:


Quote:


He's a very very smart person. It'd be very hard to confuse the owner of the team for the VP of Player Evaluation. Especially since during the interview Rosen's people were correcting things that Rich Eisen said. I would think they would have corrected that. Pretty big difference.

Either way they had a ton of people out for a dinner with him.



Sounds like a guy whose main focus isn't football. Oh wait thats one of the red flags on him. Hmmmmmm




Holy shit you're annoying. Give it a fucking rest.



In other words even you can't defend the manifestation of this very well known red flag.


No it's just that you are a fucking idiot and I don't want to read your dumb posts everytime a QB discussion happens on this board. Especially when they are just flat out wrong. I've talked to many of his former teammates that are in the NFL. Both offensive & defensive players. They've all basically laughed at the notion that he doesn't love football yet was the first one there and last to leave while getting destroyed for 3 years. All stated he was a great teammate and a leader to the team even with horrible coaching and changes to the OC all 3 years he was there. Nope not gonna listen to them!, but yup instead I'm going to listen to Zepp like he has any fucking clue what's going on.
One thing I think I know,  
Big Blue '56 : 4/10/2018 8:28 am : link
If Darnold is there at 2, the cost to trade up to get him rises, perhaps by a lot
For all of you out there  
DonnieD89 : 4/10/2018 8:29 am : link
thinking as to who the Giants are going to select at #2, please listen to the Ourlads scout who is very familiar with DG, as DG used to be a scout along with him. Listen to minute 47 of the podcast on on Big Blue Kickoff 04/09/18 at Giants.com. Very interesting opinion on who he would take and who he thinks DG should take.
Why is there such a big concern for Darnold with turnovers?  
UberAlias : 4/10/2018 8:39 am : link
I'm pretty sure between '16 and '17 seasons Darnold had fewer turnovers per game than Rosen did. So why the turnover label?
RE: For all of you out there  
UberAlias : 4/10/2018 8:40 am : link
In comment 13907418 DonnieD89 said:
Quote:
thinking as to who the Giants are going to select at #2, please listen to the Ourlads scout who is very familiar with DG, as DG used to be a scout along with him. Listen to minute 47 of the podcast on on Big Blue Kickoff 04/09/18 at Giants.com. Very interesting opinion on who he would take and who he thinks DG should take.
Where can I find this?
RE: RE: For all of you out there  
UberAlias : 4/10/2018 8:44 am : link
In comment 13907429 UberAlias said:
Quote:
In comment 13907418 DonnieD89 said:


Quote:


thinking as to who the Giants are going to select at #2, please listen to the Ourlads scout who is very familiar with DG, as DG used to be a scout along with him. Listen to minute 47 of the podcast on on Big Blue Kickoff 04/09/18 at Giants.com. Very interesting opinion on who he would take and who he thinks DG should take.

Where can I find this?
Never mind, I misread.
Allen number 1  
est1986 : 4/10/2018 8:45 am : link
Would be a draft night shocker to me.
RE: Is Darnold worth a #2?  
QB Snacks : 4/10/2018 8:52 am : link
In comment 13907314 Route 9 said:
Quote:
From what I've seen of him he doesn't look that good

(No. I don't watch college football. Please educate me.)


If you dontwagch college football what have you seen of him?
RE: RE: Is Darnold worth a #2?  
AcidTest : 4/10/2018 8:57 am : link
In comment 13907322 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
In comment 13907314 Route 9 said:


Quote:


From what I've seen of him he doesn't look that good

(No. I don't watch college football. Please educate me.)



He certainly has good qualities. He has ideal QB size, pretty good athleticism for a guy his size - he's a competitor. Not pinpoint accurate, but accurate enough - can make all NFL throws. Has a very even demeanor. He doesn't seem to get shaken up by a negative play or a mistake (I've said many times that he reminds me of Eli a lot in this regard)

The concerns with Darnold are the turnovers. Way too many fumbles and INT's (again.. reminds me of Eli)

Also don't love the mechanics. He has a wind up type throw and a long release. Rosen's mechanics by comparison are much more polished.

Also the team - it's no secret that SC QB's haven't fared well in recent history.

From Leinart to Sanchez to Matt Barkley.... all of these guys were fairly highly touted prospects. None panned out.

The offense they run is basically all out of the gun, so he doesn't have much experience under center.

I personally feel Rosen is the better player. But the injury concerns there are real.

Darnold is like a moose. He'll be more durable in the NFL and has the body type to withstand taking some hits.

I won't be mad if we take him - but there's definitely bust potential. He's not can't miss.

Love the intangibles and think he can absolutely handle New York and the expectations and all that. But I'm still a bit iffy on the player

I do think Darnold is safer than Allen, FWIW.


Great analysis. I wouldn't hate the pick, but I'd prefer not to take Darnold or any QB at #2. And that has nothing to do with Webb. I just don't think any QB is worth that pick. Darnold has bad mechanics. In addition to his loopy throwing motion, his upper and lower body are frequently not in sync when he throws. He steps before he throws, which causes many of his passes to sail.
RE: RE: RE: No way it's Allen  
AcidTest : 4/10/2018 9:04 am : link
In comment 13907372 Zepp said:
Quote:
In comment 13907370 GFAN52 said:


Quote:


In comment 13907317 Joey in VA said:


Quote:


I don't buy it for a second.



I don't either. Sportswriters that follow the Browns on a regular basis, like Mary Kay Cabot don't believe it either. Darnold will be the Browns pick.



They've been saying its gonna be Allen for the Browns for a couple of months now. I'm with you I can't see it. Way too much of a risk for the Browns.


Agreed. Allen is too much of a risk given their QB situation for years.
The Browns..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 4/10/2018 9:08 am : link
really need to hit on the #1 pick. It would be the traditional Browns thing to do to select Allen and then have all of his weaknesses highlighted vs. taking the most pro-ready QB.

That franchise is career killing!
Zepp  
joeinpa : 4/10/2018 9:12 am : link
Find it difficult to embrace the concept of making a run in the next two season considering how bad this team was last season, to say nothing of how mediocre they ve been since 2011.

This team needs a rebuild which is why drafting a quarterback makes sense.
JT  
KWALL2 : 4/10/2018 11:06 am : link
If Allen goes 1, I don't think it matters which team has the #2 pick. It will be Rosen. He'll be too good to pass up for any team including NYG.

It's Allen/Rosen as 1-2.

RE: If true  
JonC : 4/10/2018 11:09 am : link
In comment 13907343 jtgiants said:
Quote:
Giants go Darnold. Again, from what I have said from beginning, the only qb giants will take is darnold


jt, that's the first I've read you state a QB to NYG. Did you hear something recently?
RE: RE: RE: Is Darnold worth a #2?  
arcarsenal : 4/10/2018 11:17 am : link
In comment 13907446 AcidTest said:
Quote:
In comment 13907322 arcarsenal said:


Quote:


In comment 13907314 Route 9 said:


Quote:


From what I've seen of him he doesn't look that good

(No. I don't watch college football. Please educate me.)



He certainly has good qualities. He has ideal QB size, pretty good athleticism for a guy his size - he's a competitor. Not pinpoint accurate, but accurate enough - can make all NFL throws. Has a very even demeanor. He doesn't seem to get shaken up by a negative play or a mistake (I've said many times that he reminds me of Eli a lot in this regard)

The concerns with Darnold are the turnovers. Way too many fumbles and INT's (again.. reminds me of Eli)

Also don't love the mechanics. He has a wind up type throw and a long release. Rosen's mechanics by comparison are much more polished.

Also the team - it's no secret that SC QB's haven't fared well in recent history.

From Leinart to Sanchez to Matt Barkley.... all of these guys were fairly highly touted prospects. None panned out.

The offense they run is basically all out of the gun, so he doesn't have much experience under center.

I personally feel Rosen is the better player. But the injury concerns there are real.

Darnold is like a moose. He'll be more durable in the NFL and has the body type to withstand taking some hits.

I won't be mad if we take him - but there's definitely bust potential. He's not can't miss.

Love the intangibles and think he can absolutely handle New York and the expectations and all that. But I'm still a bit iffy on the player

I do think Darnold is safer than Allen, FWIW.



Great analysis. I wouldn't hate the pick, but I'd prefer not to take Darnold or any QB at #2. And that has nothing to do with Webb. I just don't think any QB is worth that pick. Darnold has bad mechanics. In addition to his loopy throwing motion, his upper and lower body are frequently not in sync when he throws. He steps before he throws, which causes many of his passes to sail.


It's sort of a tough class - it's rare to have a group like this where you have so many guys in the mix at the top of the draft. Any of Allen/Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield can go top 5... or even top 3. And there's really no clear cut "best QB" in the group.

Everyone has major pluses and some fairly worrisome minuses.

I could see any of the 4 being great and I could just as easily see any of the 4 completely bombing.

To me, Allen presents the biggest on field risk and Rosen presents the biggest injury risk. Yet those are the two guys that I think have the highest ceilings. I'm torn on Mayfield. It's not the height that bothers me. But some of the personality stuff does.

It's all just paralysis by analysis at this point. The draft can't come soon enough - I just want to see who we pick so we can focus on that player / the other players we take.
if cleveland really wants allen  
CGiants07 : 4/10/2018 12:25 pm : link
i see them taking barkley first, then trade with us or stay at 4 and take allen
I hope it's true, because of all the 1st round QB's,  
Section331 : 4/10/2018 2:40 pm : link
Allen is the biggest bust risk to me. This would be a typical Browns move, I thought Dorsey would be smart er than that. Of course, this could all be smoke.
RE: I hope it's true, because of all the 1st round QB's,  
DonnieD89 : 4/10/2018 3:35 pm : link
In comment 13908051 Section331 said:
Quote:
Allen is the biggest bust risk to me. This would be a typical Browns move, I thought Dorsey would be smart er than that. Of course, this could all be smoke.


If you listen to yesterday's Big Blue Kickoff Podcasts with the Ourlads scout speaking with John Schelk and Paul Dottino, he referenced that Dorsey likes to play games.
'If we believe the rumors then: Giants go Darnold?'...  
Torrag : 4/10/2018 3:35 pm : link
...if we're very lucky it will fallout this way.
RE: RE: I hope it's true, because of all the 1st round QB's,  
Section331 : 4/10/2018 3:40 pm : link
In comment 13908149 DonnieD89 said:
Quote:


If you listen to yesterday's Big Blue Kickoff Podcasts with the Ourlads scout speaking with John Schelk and Paul Dottino, he referenced that Dorsey likes to play games.


Sounds right. Even if you like Allen, why take him with the 1st pick when he's likely to be there at 4?
Dottino's just worried  
bceagle05 : 4/10/2018 3:43 pm : link
about all his guarantees that the Giants are not going QB.
RE: RE: I hope it's true, because of all the 1st round QB's,  
UberAlias : 4/10/2018 4:03 pm : link
In comment 13908149 DonnieD89 said:
Quote:
In comment 13908051 Section331 said:


Quote:


Allen is the biggest bust risk to me. This would be a typical Browns move, I thought Dorsey would be smart er than that. Of course, this could all be smoke.



If you listen to yesterday's Big Blue Kickoff Podcasts with the Ourlads scout speaking with John Schelk and Paul Dottino, he referenced that Dorsey likes to play games.
What games are there to be played with the #1 pick? That's a bit of a waste of energy. Number 4 pick is a different story.
RE: Dottino's just worried  
UberAlias : 4/10/2018 4:04 pm : link
In comment 13908166 bceagle05 said:
Quote:
about all his guarantees that the Giants are not going QB.
Watching Paul Dot, it seems almost personal with him. In a pod cast I saw he was visibly discomforted by a caller suggesting they go QB.
.  
arcarsenal : 4/10/2018 4:17 pm : link
Dottino is a clown. He just comes off as an overzealous fan. I rarely take what he says seriously.
It would be so 'Browns'  
T-Bone : 4/10/2018 4:21 pm : link
to take Allen #1.
RE: Allen goes 1  
santacruzom : 4/10/2018 4:32 pm : link
In comment 13907319 KWALL2 said:
Quote:
Rosen goes 2.

Or Rosen 1st and Allen next. Thatís the way it will go.


You don't think it would be the Giants taking Allen at 2nd in that scenario, do you? Are you predicting a trade-down to another interested team?
RE: The Browns..  
FStubbs : 4/10/2018 5:02 pm : link
In comment 13907459 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
really need to hit on the #1 pick. It would be the traditional Browns thing to do to select Allen and then have all of his weaknesses highlighted vs. taking the most pro-ready QB.

That franchise is career killing!


The Browns probably want Tyrod Taylor to absorb the punishment next year while their drafted QB sits. So if they feel Allen is the best talent but he needs a year of development, they're already set up for that.
Santa  
KWALL2 : 4/10/2018 6:23 pm : link
I do.

Doesnít matter the team at 1 or 2. Those are the top 2 guys.

Guessing if starts with pick 3. My guess is Mayfield.
I just don't see  
santacruzom : 4/10/2018 7:46 pm : link
the Giants taking Allen, but who knows.
RE: I just don't see  
arcarsenal : 4/10/2018 7:53 pm : link
In comment 13908480 santacruzom said:
Quote:
the Giants taking Allen, but who knows.


I don't either.
RE: RE: I just don't see  
T-Bone : 4/10/2018 8:02 pm : link
In comment 13908485 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
In comment 13908480 santacruzom said:


Quote:


the Giants taking Allen, but who knows.



I don't either.


Me neither.

Unless... like I said in another thread... they expect Eli to stick around for another year+ so that he has time to be groomed. But I donít see it.
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner