Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Gabriel: "The real lying is underway."

gidiefor : Mod : 4/10/2018 8:29 am
Quote:
Greg Gabriel @greggabe

Report: Giants would take a Darnold but not Rosen. Could be true, could be BS. Iíve known Dave Gettleman for 25 years, heís not about to tell anyone his plans. Donít believe what you read. The real lying is underway

Link - ( New Window )
This is one of Gettleman's real strengths over Jerry.  
Heisenberg : 4/10/2018 8:34 am : link
.
This is why...  
Chris in Philly : 4/10/2018 8:40 am : link
believing anything in the media is foolish. Information that is out there is out there for a reason.
I don't know why but I have had a weird feeling lately  
Chris684 : 4/10/2018 8:41 am : link
that it's going to be Baker Mayfield.

That would be a very non-traditional NYG/non-Mara move, but I can see Shurmur and Shula loving him for what they want to do.
Nobody outside of maybe 2 or 3 people  
Dave in PA : 4/10/2018 8:42 am : link
Really know what the hell is going on. Whoever they take, either we trust the new regime or not. No point in ďremote throwingĒ or incessantly bitching about the results.
RE: This is one of Gettleman's real strengths over Jerry.  
bigbluescot : 4/10/2018 8:43 am : link
In comment 13907421 Heisenberg said:
Quote:
.


Not really. The Carolina 1st rounders were well trailed. Everyone knew they were taking McCaffery last year.


Link - ( New Window )
I have a  
Giantophile : 4/10/2018 8:46 am : link
hunch it's going to be Rosen.

Not only does he have the goods, but go back and listen to DG's comments about most of the QBs today having never called protections, run a huddle, etc..."not even qb-101 stuff". Rosen fits the bill, I think he's their top choice.
RE: RE: This is one of Gettleman's real strengths over Jerry.  
Ira : 4/10/2018 8:48 am : link
In comment 13907433 bigbluescot said:
Quote:
In comment 13907421 Heisenberg said:


Quote:


.



Not really. The Carolina 1st rounders were well trailed. Everyone knew they were taking McCaffery last year.
Link - ( New Window )


That's true about McCaffery, but I don't think it was the case in previous years.
RE: This is one of Gettleman's real strengths over Jerry.  
Rflairr : 4/10/2018 8:50 am : link
In comment 13907421 Heisenberg said:
Quote:
.


lol there is no evidence of that. But whatever makes you feel good
You don't have to bluff with the 2 spot.  
x meadowlander : 4/10/2018 8:51 am : link
Not much danger of someone trading up and stealing the pick the Giants want.
RE: RE: This is one of Gettleman's real strengths over Jerry.  
Heisenberg : 4/10/2018 8:58 am : link
In comment 13907440 Rflairr said:
Quote:
In comment 13907421 Heisenberg said:


Quote:


.



lol there is no evidence of that. But whatever makes you feel good


Well, the way he's conducted the offseason so far is a pretty good indication. Lots of surprise moves with few, if any, leaks in advance. No real idea what he wants to do at #2 yet at all.
RE: You don't have to bluff with the 2 spot.  
Gatorade Dunk : 4/10/2018 9:12 am : link
In comment 13907441 x meadowlander said:
Quote:
Not much danger of someone trading up and stealing the pick the Giants want.

You do have to bluff if you want to keep open the option of trading your own pick.
RE: This is why...  
GIANTS128 : 4/10/2018 9:16 am : link
In comment 13907430 Chris in Philly said:
Quote:
believing anything in the media is foolish. Information that is out there is out there for a reason.


Ive had the same thought...if not us I see him being a Jet....
Not sure I follow that.  
Ten Ton Hammer : 4/10/2018 9:16 am : link
If you own something that someone else wants, what are you bluffing for. Even if the buyer doesn't think you are going to take the player they want, they also have to be concerned with all the teams picking between them and the player they want.
RE: I have a  
OBJRoyal : 4/10/2018 9:16 am : link
In comment 13907437 Giantophile said:
Quote:
hunch it's going to be Rosen.

Not only does he have the goods, but go back and listen to DG's comments about most of the QBs today having never called protections, run a huddle, etc..."not even qb-101 stuff". Rosen fits the bill, I think he's their top choice.


on the flip side, DG and Shurmur have both be on record that a QB's best attribute has to be his availability, and that isn't Rosen.
You guys...  
FatMan in Charlotte : 4/10/2018 9:20 am : link
really can't take much from leaks or non-leaks in Carolina. Jerry Richardson has been a wild card for most of the past decade and was a apt to have loose lips as anyone else, especially if people took him to his favorite restaurant or watering hole.

When Gettleman got fired simply for trying to do his job and not by the results, that's all you need to know about their ownership and the differences to ours.
Greg is right  
Peppers : 4/10/2018 10:07 am : link
It isn't because NYG is posturing by sending out misinformation. Its mostly the beats/media playing the guessing game and making up lies. That's their idea of reporting now. If they aren't lying, if they happen to be telling the truth, and they say they know what a team is thinking it's usually that they know what a low level scout from the team is thinking..

I've heard, and I've tried not to be repetitive but the only people in that room is Gettleman and the Mara's. All of which have been very hands on and distant from everyone else with the information they are gathering.

RE: You don't have to bluff with the 2 spot.  
Eman11 : 4/10/2018 10:13 am : link
In comment 13907441 x meadowlander said:
Quote:
Not much danger of someone trading up and stealing the pick the Giants want.


You'd bluff if you're looking to trade back a few spots though. Whether it's making teams think you're interested in a certain player or making them think other teams are.

If another team really wants a player you don't, it makes good sense to bluff.
RE: You guys...  
bigbluescot : 4/10/2018 10:19 am : link
In comment 13907477 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
really can't take much from leaks or non-leaks in Carolina. Jerry Richardson has been a wild card for most of the past decade and was a apt to have loose lips as anyone else, especially if people took him to his favorite restaurant or watering hole.

When Gettleman got fired simply for trying to do his job and not by the results, that's all you need to know about their ownership and the differences to ours.


To be honest, Tisch seems the sort who'd be loose with info as well.
But Tisch..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 4/10/2018 10:22 am : link
is far less hands on than Richardson from what I've seen and heard.

Richardson wanted to be part of the decision making process or at least be directly consulted before final decisions were reached.

I don't think Tisch does - could be wrong, but that isn't my impression.
RE: Greg is right  
JonC : 4/10/2018 10:37 am : link
In comment 13907570 Peppers said:
Quote:
It isn't because NYG is posturing by sending out misinformation. Its mostly the beats/media playing the guessing game and making up lies. That's their idea of reporting now. If they aren't lying, if they happen to be telling the truth, and they say they know what a team is thinking it's usually that they know what a low level scout from the team is thinking..

I've heard, and I've tried not to be repetitive but the only people in that room is Gettleman and the Mara's. All of which have been very hands on and distant from everyone else with the information they are gathering.


Same here, have heard painfully little since the week after the Combines.
RE: You don't have to bluff with the 2 spot.  
DonQuixote : 4/10/2018 10:45 am : link
In comment 13907441 x meadowlander said:
Quote:
Not much danger of someone trading up and stealing the pick the Giants want.


That's not true. In any negotiation, it does not help to just state your bottom line position. The Giants may be in negotiations to trade up to to trade down. Even if they stay put, they may not want to telegraph to the Browns who also have the #4 pick.
Timing  
GeoMan999 : 4/10/2018 11:53 am : link
The Giants will get together and start finalizing their board after the interviews this week. They do not know yet who they want to pick so all of these articles and stories are pure speculation or intended leaks.

It is fun to follow, but we shouldnít get sucked in.
Davis Webb  
NikkiMac : 4/10/2018 12:49 pm : link
Holds all the cards his pro day coming up
I  
AcidTest : 4/10/2018 1:12 pm : link
wonder how much Shurmur even knows.
.  
arcarsenal : 4/10/2018 1:16 pm : link
It's a new rumor every day - this is exactly what Gettleman wants.

This is definitely where everything starts to become posturing / smokescreening. I basically just take every new report with a grain of salt.

By now, we've heard that NYG like or don't like nearly every player possible for us @ 2.
Wait, smokescreens are possible?  
Giants34 : 4/10/2018 2:00 pm : link
Because everyday the beat writers write something as if it is gospel. I don't listen to a word that is said at this point.
RE: I  
UberAlias : 4/10/2018 4:20 pm : link
In comment 13907926 AcidTest said:
Quote:
wonder how much Shurmur even knows.
Quite a bit, you would hope. Your head coach is a puppet if he isn't at the table when big football decisions are made. He's only the man who has to execute on behalf of those decisions, after all. It works when HC and GM are on the same page. When they aren't... that's a formula for failure.
Not to mention if Ownership can't trust the head coach  
UberAlias : 4/10/2018 4:21 pm : link
Then why the hell did you hire him.
RE: RE: I  
giants#1 : 4/10/2018 4:23 pm : link
In comment 13908222 UberAlias said:
Quote:
In comment 13907926 AcidTest said:


Quote:


wonder how much Shurmur even knows.

Quite a bit, you would hope. Your head coach is a puppet if he isn't at the table when big football decisions are made. He's only the man who has to execute on behalf of those decisions, after all. It works when HC and GM are on the same page. When they aren't... that's a formula for failure.


Especially when the HC is widely viewed as a "QB guru" and you are (potentially) in the market for a QB. Management would be dumb not to consult with the HC.
The fact that everyone has a different opinion on what the Giants  
PatersonPlank : 4/10/2018 7:33 pm : link
are going to do is great.
Love It  
Rong5611 : 4/11/2018 7:06 am : link
Reese would have already telegraphed our pick...

I'd be happy with one of these 3 QB's - Darnold, Mayfield or Rosen...even if Webb is the real deal.

I still think Giants would be crazy not to take a QB at #2.
RE: RE: This is one of Gettleman's real strengths over Jerry.  
djm : 4/11/2018 10:02 am : link
In comment 13907433 bigbluescot said:
Quote:
In comment 13907421 Heisenberg said:


Quote:


.



Not really. The Carolina 1st rounders were well trailed. Everyone knew they were taking McCaffery last year.
Link - ( New Window )


Actually not really to both takes. Stopped watch is right twice a day.

When blogs and twats and writers guess 1000 times over a 2 month span, they are bound to get one or two guesses right. So the Panthers scout McCaffery and have a need and some wad on the web predicts interest and low and behold MC is the pick and that wad nailed it? Bullshit...that WAD got lucky. Where are the other articles predicting that the Panthers would take Cook or a young TE like Engram or Howard? I saw those...no one cares.
Back to the Corner