Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Knicks fire Hornacek!!

LawrenceTaylor56 : 4/12/2018 1:44 am
Just got the alert on my phone.
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
RE: Mark Jackson's history is well known.  
nygiants16 : 4/12/2018 11:54 am : link
In comment 13911041 bceagle05 said:
Quote:
The fact that Stephen A. Smith is so obsessed with Jackson getting the job shows you how far SAS's head is up his own ass.


If mark jackson was white he would not be pushing for him
RE: Surprised no one else mentions  
Heisenberg : 4/12/2018 11:56 am : link
In comment 13911034 LawrenceTaylor56 said:
Quote:
Nick Nurse. He's a good coach with a proven record. He isn't a media grab, so that's a plus. He's the man behind Toronto Raptors offensive game these past few years.

Stackhouse? Really? Why?

And no thanks to JVG. He's the Bill Cowher of the NBA.


Stackhouse is a legit up and coming coaching prospect. His G league teams have been the best defensive team both years he's been a coach, too. That's music to my ears.
Here's a good link about him with a really good mini documentary about him as well. - ( New Window )
Cool Oakley cameo in the doc, too  
Heisenberg : 4/12/2018 11:58 am : link
.
Blatt  
PaulBlakeTSU : 4/12/2018 12:03 pm : link
Is my top choice. Mark Jackson would be a terrible decision.
I feel like Dolan is the least of our problems here at MSG  
djm : 4/12/2018 12:06 pm : link
Knicks need great players. Need more talent.

The rebuild didn't even start until the KP pick and then it had to wait another year because they no picks or space. The rebuild really truly began last year with the Frank draft.

I know it's hard to let go of the past but to me what happened 5 years ago doesn't apply anymore. Knicks seem to be taking the long game approach and have plenty of picks and some nice building blocks, notably KP, who will be back.

I don't see doom and gloom with this franchise going forward. They finally have resources to work with and a great young player. They don't even have to be perfect here the next 2 years in order to build a legit team with staying power. If they hit doubles in the draft and signed one good max over the next 2 years, they will be fine.

This is the biggest decision the KNicks will make over the next few years. Bring in the right coach.
when I say plenty of picks  
djm : 4/12/2018 12:07 pm : link
I mean they have picks. Don't jump down my throat for semantics.
The owner is essential to a winning organzation  
arniefez : 4/12/2018 12:09 pm : link
anyone who thinks differently has never worked with, for or around someone like Dolan. He have to get an upgrade to be a cancer. He's more like a permanent plague.
Jay Wright  
TyreeHelmet : 4/12/2018 12:13 pm : link
Doesn't make that much for a college coach- 2.5mill year. Why not offer him a 5 year deal for 40-50 million? He also has NYC ties. I think he would a home run pick but I'm not sure the Knicks are attractive enough for him.
RE: The owner is essential to a winning organzation  
djm : 4/12/2018 12:16 pm : link
In comment 13911106 arniefez said:
Quote:
anyone who thinks differently has never worked with, for or around someone like Dolan. He have to get an upgrade to be a cancer. He's more like a permanent plague.


Of course, but the Rangers have been just fine with Dolan as the owner. And I know Dolan spends the money, that's an important attribute. He also seems to be staying away the last few years.
RE: Surprised no one else mentions  
Enzo : 4/12/2018 12:18 pm : link
In comment 13911034 LawrenceTaylor56 said:
Quote:
Nick Nurse. He's a good coach with a proven record. He isn't a media grab, so that's a plus. He's the man behind Toronto Raptors offensive game these past few years.

Stackhouse? Really? Why?

maybe read up on Stackhouse and what he's been doing since he retired.
Dolan has  
Enzo : 4/12/2018 12:20 pm : link
been staying away - but he did decide all on his own to give Mills final say on everything basketball. Mills is simply not qualified.
RE: RE: Mark Jackson's history is well known.  
bceagle05 : 4/12/2018 12:32 pm : link
In comment 13911052 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
In comment 13911041 bceagle05 said:


Quote:


The fact that Stephen A. Smith is so obsessed with Jackson getting the job shows you how far SAS's head is up his own ass.



If mark jackson was white he would not be pushing for him

Yeah that's for sure.
I don't know crap  
idiotsavant : 4/12/2018 12:44 pm : link
About basketball.

But it does seem -much more- a pure BPA proposition than football. Great player driven.

Much more. Well, you cannot predict the draft.

So, really, you cannot predict team style or system. Ergo you need a real savvy nuts and bolts practical veteran coach who can do it all rather than be wedded to any particular system. Probably an old cruster. Maybe not. For the next few years. Until you see what you have.

Not a single clue who that is though.
RE: RE: Surprised no one else mentions  
LawrenceTaylor56 : 4/12/2018 12:49 pm : link
In comment 13911144 Enzo said:
Quote:
In comment 13911034 LawrenceTaylor56 said:


Quote:


Nick Nurse. He's a good coach with a proven record. He isn't a media grab, so that's a plus. He's the man behind Toronto Raptors offensive game these past few years.

Stackhouse? Really? Why?


maybe read up on Stackhouse and what he's been doing since he retired.


Okay. Now what? Still rather have Nurse.
Round and round we go  
ghost718 : 4/12/2018 12:49 pm : link
Where it stops,everyone knows

Right at the next lay off press conference
RE: The owner is essential to a winning organzation  
nygiants16 : 4/12/2018 12:52 pm : link
In comment 13911106 arniefez said:
Quote:
anyone who thinks differently has never worked with, for or around someone like Dolan. He have to get an upgrade to be a cancer. He's more like a permanent plague.


Dolans issue is he gets involved and pushes for quick fixes, otherwise he spends money when his teams asks, he spent millions on crappy teams that Isiah built, he is currently paying 2 head coaches for the knicks...

You can say he is to loyal to his guys..

But how have the rangers been good if dolan is such a shot owner?

RE: RE: The owner is essential to a winning organzation  
Greg from LI : 4/12/2018 1:00 pm : link
In comment 13911249 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
But how have the rangers been good if dolan is such a shot owner?


For one thing, he has never been as involved with the Rangers as he was with the Knicks. For another, much as I dislike Glen Sather, he is nowhere near as incompetent as Isiah and Mills. For a third, the Rangers had a few major strokes of luck. They picked up Jagr as a salary dump at the end of the no-cap era and he gave them some terrific years. They hit the jackpot with a 6th round pick named Henrik Lundqvist. The lockout gave them a chance to restart without the burden of some horrific contracts in a way the Knicks never had.
Well, this is encouraging...  
bceagle05 : 4/12/2018 1:06 pm : link
Quote:
@alanhahn

“Jim (Dolan) has given us the room to be patient....and that hasn’t been common in the past here.” - Steve Mills #Knicks
RE: RE: RE: The owner is essential to a winning organzation  
Victor in CT : 4/12/2018 1:09 pm : link
In comment 13911275 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
In comment 13911249 nygiants16 said:


Quote:


But how have the rangers been good if dolan is such a shot owner?




For one thing, he has never been as involved with the Rangers as he was with the Knicks. For another, much as I dislike Glen Sather, he is nowhere near as incompetent as Isiah and Mills. For a third, the Rangers had a few major strokes of luck. They picked up Jagr as a salary dump at the end of the no-cap era and he gave them some terrific years. They hit the jackpot with a 6th round pick named Henrik Lundqvist. The lockout gave them a chance to restart without the burden of some horrific contracts in a way the Knicks never had.


BINGO! Dolan actually thinks he knows something about basketball and he is interested in it. He doesn't care about hockey. Thankfully.

The lockout is all that saved Slats. That and MTL being dumb enough to trade for Scott Gomez. He was a total disaster to that point. Remember, he actually chose to trade for Lindros rather than pay up for Jagr in his prime. And OOF those awful contracts.
RE: RE: RE: The owner is essential to a winning organzation  
nygiants16 : 4/12/2018 1:12 pm : link
In comment 13911275 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
In comment 13911249 nygiants16 said:


Quote:


But how have the rangers been good if dolan is such a shot owner?




For one thing, he has never been as involved with the Rangers as he was with the Knicks. For another, much as I dislike Glen Sather, he is nowhere near as incompetent as Isiah and Mills. For a third, the Rangers had a few major strokes of luck. They picked up Jagr as a salary dump at the end of the no-cap era and he gave them some terrific years. They hit the jackpot with a 6th round pick named Henrik Lundqvist. The lockout gave them a chance to restart without the burden of some horrific contracts in a way the Knicks never had.


But greg that is exactly my point, his biggest issue was he was to involved with the jnicks...

If you believe Perry and mills, dolan has told them he is willing to be patient..

Now that all can chance
great, he's going to be  
Enzo : 4/12/2018 1:15 pm : link
patient with Steve Mills of all people. Lucky us.
RE: great, he's going to be  
bceagle05 : 4/12/2018 1:22 pm : link
In comment 13911334 Enzo said:
Quote:
patient with Steve Mills of all people. Lucky us.


Ha! Well, I've given up on ever getting rid of Mills. Hopefully he trusts Perry enough to defer here and there. Sounds like they're into analytics, so maybe the numbers will spit out some good ideas.

All in all, I've been OK with the Mills/Perry pairing so far. My only gripe is with the Hernangomez trade - we should be hoarding young, cost-controlled guys with any potential, especially when the futures of Kanter, KOQ and Noah are very much in flux, and KP is out for half of next season. If nothing else, he was cheap labor. Still don't like the Timmy signing but that was before Perry could talk him out of it.
We could spend all day talking about Dolan  
arniefez : 4/12/2018 1:29 pm : link
He's why the Knicks are what they are. As far as the Rangers go they followed the exact same script as the Knicks until they got the break of a lifetime with the lockout/buyout reset and almost won a championship. But they fell short and then went right back to doing business like the Knicks, trading away all their draft picks and young players for washed up names that ruined what they built. You think that was a coincidence? Now MSG will be dark in the playoff spring for a long time for both teams.
RE: RE: great, he's going to be  
Enzo : 4/12/2018 1:31 pm : link
In comment 13911350 bceagle05 said:
Quote:
In comment 13911334 Enzo said:


Quote:


patient with Steve Mills of all people. Lucky us.



Ha! Well, I've given up on ever getting rid of Mills. Hopefully he trusts Perry enough to defer here and there. Sounds like they're into analytics, so maybe the numbers will spit out some good ideas.

All in all, I've been OK with the Mills/Perry pairing so far. My only gripe is with the Hernangomez trade - we should be hoarding young, cost-controlled guys with any potential, especially when the futures of Kanter, KOQ and Noah are very much in flux, and KP is out for half of next season. If nothing else, he was cheap labor. Still don't like the Timmy signing but that was before Perry could talk him out of it.

don't forget the Baker contract. Almost a year later and I still can't wrap my head around it. It's obviously not a mega disaster like Noah's deal, but everything about it is nonsensical. There's not another team in the league that would have given him that deal with that structure.
good post arniefez  
Victor in CT : 4/12/2018 1:58 pm : link
.......
Dolan hasn't been a problem for  
Phil in LA : 4/12/2018 2:35 pm : link
the Rangers, which he also owns. That's probably because he put all of his eggs in the Sather basket and stepped away. He wanted to do that with Phil Jackson, but it imploded. Fortunately, they still have their picks, some young talent and don't mind paying people off if things don't work out.
I was encouraged that when Mills pulled off his coup, he  
Heisenberg : 4/12/2018 2:37 pm : link
realized that he needed a real basketball talent guy and brought in someone. Time will tell how Perry does with that control.
Kanter tidbit:  
Enzo : 4/12/2018 2:56 pm : link
Quote:
Adam Zagoria
@AdamZagoria
Enes Kanter says he's leaning toward opting out and hopes to sign a long-term deal to stay with the #Knicks.

I'll believe he's opting out when I see it.
Kanter  
Jon in NYC : 4/12/2018 2:57 pm : link
opting out would also be a great move as long as they don't re-sign him.

Helps the tank next year and allows for more flexibility.
RE: Kanter tidbit:  
giantsfan44ab : 4/12/2018 2:58 pm : link
In comment 13911617 Enzo said:
Quote:


Quote:


Adam Zagoria
@AdamZagoria
Enes Kanter says he's leaning toward opting out and hopes to sign a long-term deal to stay with the #Knicks.


I'll believe he's opting out when I see it.


Kanter opting out would make up for the misfortune of the Knicks tanking somewhat properly and still landing at 9th.
Please opt out, Enes.  
bceagle05 : 4/12/2018 3:05 pm : link
We’d be out of our minds signing him long term. This will be a good litmus test for Mills and Perry.
RE: RE: RE: The owner is essential to a winning organzation  
djm : 4/12/2018 3:15 pm : link
In comment 13911275 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
In comment 13911249 nygiants16 said:


Quote:


But how have the rangers been good if dolan is such a shot owner?




For one thing, he has never been as involved with the Rangers as he was with the Knicks. For another, much as I dislike Glen Sather, he is nowhere near as incompetent as Isiah and Mills. For a third, the Rangers had a few major strokes of luck. They picked up Jagr as a salary dump at the end of the no-cap era and he gave them some terrific years. They hit the jackpot with a 6th round pick named Henrik Lundqvist. The lockout gave them a chance to restart without the burden of some horrific contracts in a way the Knicks never had.


All you did was provide reasons why Dolan didn't destroy the Rangers. Facts are, he didn't. We know why.

The Knicks need great players. I don't think Dolan is necessarily preventing the Knicks from getting great players, at least not now he isn't. Knicks need to stay the course and add talent whenever possible.
My worry  
nygiants16 : 4/12/2018 3:16 pm : link
Knicks don't sign anyone and then say ok we will resign kanter..

If Kanter opts out, go get randle
RE: great, he's going to be  
djm : 4/12/2018 3:17 pm : link
In comment 13911334 Enzo said:
Quote:
patient with Steve Mills of all people. Lucky us.


Well, there is that...now we have to hope and pray that Mills and Perry know wtf they are doing. Mainly, these guys have to hire the right HC for this franchise.

I don't think things are as dark as they were 7 years or 10 years or 15 years ago. There's a light at the end of the tunnel but this franchise can still fuck things up. Hopefully they don't.
the bar is pretty low around here  
Enzo : 4/12/2018 3:30 pm : link
Even if they stay in the lottery for a a few more years and become your typical losing team that hits on some picks, misses on others, and takes its lumps while guys like Frank and whoever develop - that would still be an improvement over the drama we've had here. As long as they stay away from dumb moves like Rose, Noah, no-trade clauses, etc.
Really let’s be honest  
djm : 4/12/2018 3:49 pm : link
It’s sinplistic and probably unfair but the Knicks will go as far as KP takes them. We aren’t drafting a legend over the next few years and likely won’t land a legend in FA or trade. KP could be a legendary player if things go our way.

Hit doubles in the draft and FA and pray KP is a future HOFer. That’s our hope.
Simplistic  
djm : 4/12/2018 3:50 pm : link
..
Very nervous  
GMEN46 : 4/12/2018 4:01 pm : link
If Kanter opts out that hey will sign someone stupid to a long term deal.
RE: Very nervous  
giantsfan44ab : 4/12/2018 4:20 pm : link
In comment 13911795 GMEN46 said:
Quote:
If Kanter opts out that hey will sign someone stupid to a long term deal.


There's a lot of good FAs but not much money chasing them this offseason.
Regarding the jay wright interest  
bhill410 : 4/12/2018 4:26 pm : link
Little known fact that Wright had a deal in place to go to Boston College 4 years ago. Terms settled and all that - Jay Wright’s wife thought it over and told him she wasn’t moving away from philly. She is from there and went to nova law school. Now nyc is closer and the knicks would offer more than bc (which i heads was about mil over what he was getting) so there is that. Just pointing out there are very strong family roots to that area.
Wright  
Jon in NYC : 4/12/2018 4:28 pm : link
would make 2-3x what he is making at Villanova. I get that he may like it there, but he has nowhere else to go and this is a unique opportunity for him.
RE: Regarding the jay wright interest  
nygiants16 : 4/12/2018 4:30 pm : link
In comment 13911852 bhill410 said:
Quote:
Little known fact that Wright had a deal in place to go to Boston College 4 years ago. Terms settled and all that - Jay Wright’s wife thought it over and told him she wasn’t moving away from philly. She is from there and went to nova law school. Now nyc is closer and the knicks would offer more than bc (which i heads was about mil over what he was getting) so there is that. Just pointing out there are very strong family roots to that area.


I am sure dolan would offer the private jet to go back and forth whenever she wanted it
Dolan has said that he grew up loving hockey not basketball  
steve in ky : 4/12/2018 6:28 pm : link
and was a huge hockey fan as a boy.
According to daily news  
nygiants16 : 4/12/2018 6:54 pm : link
Knicks have reached out to stackhouse
from Begley  
Enzo : 4/12/2018 8:08 pm : link
Quote:
Ian Begley
Steve Mills and Scott Perry appear to be bullish on rookie Frank Ntilikina. Here’s how Mills described him today: “We have the second youngest player in the NBA that can walk out on the floor today and feel like he can guard any perimeter player that he's (playing) against.”

so then why acquire Mudiay?
RE: from Begley  
nygiants16 : 4/12/2018 8:15 pm : link
In comment 13912144 Enzo said:
Quote:


Quote:


Ian Begley
Steve Mills and Scott Perry appear to be bullish on rookie Frank Ntilikina. Here’s how Mills described him today: “We have the second youngest player in the NBA that can walk out on the floor today and feel like he can guard any perimeter player that he's (playing) against.”


so then why acquire Mudiay?


Because they took a chance on a 21 year old kid who they got for nothing?
the cost  
Enzo : 4/12/2018 9:24 pm : link
wasn't "nothing" (wouldn't shock me if McDermott is still kicking around the league in 5-6 years and Mudiay is playing in Turkey). And how exactly are you supposed to develop 3 young point guards simultaneously? Especially when you have plenty of depth at shooting guard? All this did was push Frank off the ball for long stretches at a time. Player development!
RE: the cost  
Jon in NYC : 4/12/2018 10:36 pm : link
In comment 13912225 Enzo said:
Quote:
wasn't "nothing" (wouldn't shock me if McDermott is still kicking around the league in 5-6 years and Mudiay is playing in Turkey). And how exactly are you supposed to develop 3 young point guards simultaneously? Especially when you have plenty of depth at shooting guard? All this did was push Frank off the ball for long stretches at a time. Player development!


Frank played as well as he did all year off ball.
McDermott is the definition of an average nba ballplayer  
Ten Ton Hammer : 4/12/2018 10:42 pm : link
You should be able to get that production in other places.
Doug is also  
giantsfan44ab : 4/12/2018 11:04 pm : link
a FA and it’s not really ideal to extend anymore average players so instead of letting him walk, they got a flier.
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner