Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Great article by Peter King and Albert Breer

NYSports1 : 4/13/2018 4:23 pm
Talks about the 96 draft when we took that bust Cedric Jomes and what occured

They both also talk about what they expect to happen if Darnold goes 1 and if Allen goes 1


King and Breer - ( New Window )
"Great article by Peter King"  
Greg from LI : 4/13/2018 4:35 pm : link
first time I've ever heard those words in the same sentence.
I remember watching that draft unfold  
Paulie Walnuts : 4/13/2018 4:37 pm : link
I really wanted Ogden... Stupid Phillips wasted his life.. sad situation

when they picke Cedric Jones over Terry Glenn, that was a throw the remote

My brothee in law is a huge colleg FB guy and draftnik type and he was like "Cedric Jones? Never hard of him"
Just staggering  
Giantfan in skinland : 4/13/2018 4:38 pm : link
that the Giants legitimately didn't prepare for that scenario to unfold. Same reason it HAS to be the case that the Jets have three QBs they're in love with. If they're banking on one of the browns or Giants taking a non-qb, they're morons.
like the 2016 draft  
sundayatone : 4/13/2018 4:40 pm : link
with eli apple,reese has no plan B when the guys he targeted were taken.
but they missed the most likely scenario  
George from PA : 4/13/2018 4:44 pm : link
if Browns draft Darnold.

Giants trade with Denver who jumps the Jets and prevents Buffalo, Arizona and Miami from jumping them..to grab their QB
.....

this might lead someone to trade up for Cleveland 4th....QBs going g 1,2,3,4.

Giants draft BPA at 5.....Barkley
George  
Arkbach : 4/13/2018 4:55 pm : link
lost it after 1991. Giants were a mess until Accorsi took over.
RE: George  
Greg from LI : 4/13/2018 5:03 pm : link
In comment 13913421 Arkbach said:
Quote:
lost it after 1991. Giants were a mess until Accorsi took over.


Not really true. Several of the Giants' best players in the Accorsi era were Young draftees: Strahan, Sehorn, Armstead, Toomer, Barber, Hamilton. The '90s Young drafts kept bombing in the first round but finding good players in later rounds. Young made more than a few blunders in his time but so did Accorsi. Accorsi's drafting until 2003 (when Reese started running the draft) were mostly awful.
RE: but they missed the most likely scenario  
GFAN52 : 4/13/2018 5:34 pm : link
In comment 13913409 George from PA said:
Quote:
if Browns draft Darnold.

Giants trade with Denver who jumps the Jets and prevents Buffalo, Arizona and Miami from jumping them..to grab their QB
.....

this might lead someone to trade up for Cleveland 4th....QBs going g 1,2,3,4.

Giants draft BPA at 5.....Barkley


That would be nice. The Browns are locked on Darnold despite the Allen noise. And I donít see the Giants drafting Rosen or Allen at 2. Surprised they didnít include Chubb in their scenarios.
I am a known idiot here  
Big Al : 4/13/2018 5:36 pm : link
but it is even beyond my comprehension that they were caught unprepared. Donít assume anything. Have your top five players listed in order and take the top one left . If there is a big drop off between your value of 4 and 5, explore your trade options before draft so that you donít panic with time ticking. If things go wrong through 4 and you took all possible steps before to get a trade and you canít get value, take your 5 and deal with it. Life screws you sometime but at at least you optimized your chances.
RE: Just staggering  
FStubbs : 4/13/2018 5:45 pm : link
In comment 13913399 Giantfan in skinland said:
Quote:
that the Giants legitimately didn't prepare for that scenario to unfold. Same reason it HAS to be the case that the Jets have three QBs they're in love with. If they're banking on one of the browns or Giants taking a non-qb, they're morons.


Yeah, Reese was asleep at the wheel that draft.
RE: RE: George  
FStubbs : 4/13/2018 5:46 pm : link
In comment 13913430 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
In comment 13913421 Arkbach said:


Quote:


lost it after 1991. Giants were a mess until Accorsi took over.



Not really true. Several of the Giants' best players in the Accorsi era were Young draftees: Strahan, Sehorn, Armstead, Toomer, Barber, Hamilton. The '90s Young drafts kept bombing in the first round but finding good players in later rounds. Young made more than a few blunders in his time but so did Accorsi. Accorsi's drafting until 2003 (when Reese started running the draft) were mostly awful.


You mean when Gettleman took it over.
No, heís got it right and itís been covered pretty well  
Ten Ton Hammer : 4/13/2018 6:05 pm : link
Reese ran the drafts prior to accorsi stepping down.
RE: Just staggering  
fanofthejets : 4/13/2018 10:02 pm : link
In comment 13913399 Giantfan in skinland said:
Quote:
that the Giants legitimately didn't prepare for that scenario to unfold. Same reason it HAS to be the case that the Jets have three QBs they're in love with. If they're banking on one of the browns or Giants taking a non-qb, they're morons.


Jets love Mayfield, Darnold, and Rosen. Probably Mayfield slightly better than the rest but who really knows. But we're getting one of 'em and they're extremely thrilled over it.
still amazes me when I read about this draft  
bluepepper : 4/13/2018 10:20 pm : link
Quote:
Sure enough, Johnson, Hardy, Rice and Ogden ended up going 1, 2, 3 and 4. The Giants entered the draft certain that Nebraska running back Lawrence Phillips would be picked somewhere in the top four, and perhaps even wideout Terry Glenn or tackle Willie Anderson.

If they knew enough about Glenn and Anderson to know they might be off the board at 5, then why not just take one of them? And notice they didn't list Jones as a guy who might be gone - that might have been a tip-off right there. Either Glenn or Anderson would have been a nice pick at positions of need at that time though Glenn's career went off the rails fairly early. At least they didn't take Phillps but they didn't need a RB because they thought Wheatley was going to take over.
Sorry, this sounds like bullshit.  
slickwilly : 4/13/2018 10:29 pm : link
Their plan, as poor as it may have been, was to draft Jones if their first 4 weren't there. You are telling me they went into the draft with the 5th pick and only had 4 guys they wanted to use it on and no other options? I get that player might not be a blue chip, but you still have a plan. Phillips was a huge risk and I wouldn't have drafted him regardless of talent, but the Giants were convinced he was top four vuaranteed? I don't believe it regardless of what this scout says. They just made a bad choice after the top 4 were gone.
With all the various predictions, someone will probably guess right  
Ira : 4/13/2018 10:29 pm : link
and say, 'I told you so'. But no one has a clue about what we're going to do - none of us and none of the media. All we can do is wait and find out.
Article  
Dragon : 4/13/2018 11:14 pm : link
Makes little sense since it truly makes them look like fools no one had done mocks where your top four players were gone really. Then it says they did not get a great offer for the pick so they select a guy 10 or 12 slots to early. This after two guys they felt would go in the top four were still available why not draft one of them instead you draft a blind guy?
RE: Sorry, this sounds like bullshit.  
ThatLimerickGuy : 4/13/2018 11:44 pm : link
In comment 13913705 slickwilly said:
Quote:
Their plan, as poor as it may have been, was to draft Jones if their first 4 weren't there. You are telling me they went into the draft with the 5th pick and only had 4 guys they wanted to use it on and no other options? I get that player might not be a blue chip, but you still have a plan. Phillips was a huge risk and I wouldn't have drafted him regardless of talent, but the Giants were convinced he was top four vuaranteed? I don't believe it regardless of what this scout says. They just made a bad choice after the top 4 were gone.


I agree with this.
RE:  
JCin332 : 4/14/2018 6:13 am : link
In comment 13913393 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
first time I've ever heard those words in the same sentence.


Lol good one Greg!
RE: Sorry, this sounds like bullshit.  
bluepepper : 4/14/2018 1:17 pm : link
In comment 13913705 slickwilly said:
Quote:
Their plan, as poor as it may have been, was to draft Jones if their first 4 weren't there. You are telling me they went into the draft with the 5th pick and only had 4 guys they wanted to use it on and no other options? I get that player might not be a blue chip, but you still have a plan. Phillips was a huge risk and I wouldn't have drafted him regardless of talent, but the Giants were convinced he was top four vuaranteed? I don't believe it regardless of what this scout says. They just made a bad choice after the top 4 were gone.

Been reported multiple times over the years that they had only vetted 4 guys and were completely unprepared for none of them to be available. Obviously they had some clue on other players but not to the usual level and had no agreed upon plan of action to handle the situation. Apparently they didn't even know that Jones was blind in one eye.
Back to the Corner