Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

What makes Barkley HOF bound

GoBlue6599 : 4/14/2018 1:34 pm
Serious question? His numbers in college are very good but not eye popping or incredible. He was handled fairly easy by pedestrian college comp on more then one occasion
Why are poeple convinced this guy has HOF potential?
Is it because of the open field moves and his speed?
Just some chatter until draft night and the contrarian pov... I see a nice player but I'm not even convinced he is going to be the most productive back in this class

This is just my opinion  
TrueBlue56 : 4/14/2018 1:44 pm : link
But, tiki was regarded as a borderline hall of famer. Barkley presents the same type of running / receiving style. He has speed, elusiveness, quickness and he can help in pass protection. He can be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

Gettleman said that Barkley is a rare talent and a lot of people see the talent.

If he can put up the type of numbers tiki did under Coughlin, then he is a homerun.
Barkley's got some questions to answer.  
mittenedman : 4/14/2018 1:49 pm : link
He might be the next Gale Sayers, but you've got to get that tough yard in the NFL. I see his grades higher than anyone lately. But Gurley, Zeke & Fournette can get the tough yards AND bounce it outside. That's what makes them so good. Even Lesean McCoy can stick it inside enough to keep D's honest.

I love Barkley and expect the Giants to draft him, but there's that lingering concern that freaks me out. I do think Shurmur's scheme is an excellent fit for him, attacking the edges.

These are all questions  
allstarjim : 4/14/2018 1:52 pm : link
that have been answered and discussed at length in more than a few threads on this board...you can probably check the archives, I've answered these objections several times with relevant facts that must be considered as well as coloring the stats with actual tape study.

It seems like those that say things like "he was handled fairly easy by pedestrian college comp" really don't do much of any tape study at all.
Barkley  
mdthedream : 4/14/2018 3:06 pm : link
and Tiki are not close Barkley has all of that and he is 230lbs. Barkley is more of David Johnson can catch and run extremely fast and he a very down back.
Adrien Peterson  
mdthedream : 4/14/2018 3:12 pm : link
has been stopped but he as also had monster games and wins football games. Saying that he is not a top pick because he has been stopped in a few games is crazy. He is a top 4 pick whether the Giants should draft a QB or A RB is another question. I guarantee in fantasy football he will be taken in the first round or second in everyone draft. Now I know it doesn't mean anything but it does tell you what people think of him everywhere else.
This definitely needed its own thread  
Gatorade Dunk : 4/14/2018 3:12 pm : link
rather than adding it to one of the dozens of Barkley threads already on the board.
who cares  
mdthedream : 4/14/2018 3:37 pm : link
its another thread not like there is anything else to talk about. Barkley is a beast so is Chubbs. The Giants also need a Stud QB hopefully we get this right.
Wayyyyy too many negative or 0  
.McL. : 4/14/2018 3:43 pm : link
runs for my taste...

Kills drives.
Did you read Sy's Evaluation?  
giantstock : 4/14/2018 3:59 pm : link
Here is is. WHich do you think he is wrong with?

1-- Top tier movement when it comes to agility, explosion, speed

2--- -Able to see diagnose and adjust on the fly, balance and control are at a rare level

3-- -A big time factor as a pass catcher
Good article  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 4/14/2018 4:03 pm : link
Link below


Why Barkley is a transformational talent - ( New Window )
RE: Did you read Sy's Evaluation?  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 4/14/2018 4:04 pm : link
In comment 13914148 giantstock said:
Quote:
Here is is. WHich do you think he is wrong with?

1-- Top tier movement when it comes to agility, explosion, speed

2--- -Able to see diagnose and adjust on the fly, balance and control are at a rare level

3-- -A big time factor as a pass catcher


3 great reasons that translate to the NFL game
What will get him to the HoF is a great oline, the Giants do not have  
SterlingArcher : 4/14/2018 4:16 pm : link
an oline that will get him there. If you are looking for a HoFer draft Quenton Nelson.
RE: Barkley's got some questions to answer.  
Zepp : 4/14/2018 4:21 pm : link
In comment 13914074 mittenedman said:
Quote:
He might be the next Gale Sayers, but you've got to get that tough yard in the NFL. I see his grades higher than anyone lately. But Gurley, Zeke & Fournette can get the tough yards AND bounce it outside. That's what makes them so good. Even Lesean McCoy can stick it inside enough to keep D's honest.

I love Barkley and expect the Giants to draft him, but there's that lingering concern that freaks me out. I do think Shurmur's scheme is an excellent fit for him, attacking the edges.


I really don't care if he can get that 1 yard as long as he can get 75 on any other play. Seriously thats why you sign backups to complement what you have. If Barkley is the Barry Sanders type then Gallman is going to have to run in between to get that yard or the Giants find some vet in FA that can do that. Its not hard.
RE: What will get him to the HoF is a great oline, the Giants do not have  
Zepp : 4/14/2018 4:22 pm : link
In comment 13914166 SterlingArcher said:
Quote:
an oline that will get him there. If you are looking for a HoFer draft Quenton Nelson.


Barkley will be ROY of the year with the offensive line we have right now. DG almost positively will draft at least 1 or more offensive lineman in this draft. It will only improve.

I'm not a Barkley fan but  
Dave on the UWS : 4/14/2018 4:57 pm : link
to not draft him because of the OL as it stands today is just assinine. It's been improved and DG will continue to improve it. If they don't like the QBs and see SB as a good fit then they should pick him.
The OL comments are lazy  
UConn4523 : 4/14/2018 5:05 pm : link
the line is already improved and it will only continue to get better.
If we draft barkley in the 1st rd and Scarborough in the 5th  
gtt350 : 4/14/2018 5:37 pm : link
the NFC east has big trouble
Barkley is HOF bound?  
81_Great_Dane : 4/14/2018 6:06 pm : link
Is that actually a thing people are saying? Or is it a straw man?
Like I said on the other Barkley thread - he could be Faulk or Bush  
TD : 4/14/2018 6:32 pm : link
Reggie Bush looked just as good coming out, won every award and had a similar style and similar on-field qualities as Barkley.

https://youtu.be/RQauccrEEuQ
RE: Barkley is HOF bound?  
DonnieD89 : 4/14/2018 7:29 pm : link
In comment 13914249 81_Great_Dane said:
Quote:
Is that actually a thing people are saying? Or is it a straw man?


I am a big Barkley fan, but I think it is very premature to say that he is a Hall of Famer. He sure does have the traits coming out of college though.
I really donít see Reggie Bush  
UConn4523 : 4/14/2018 7:52 pm : link
and I donít know why heís always brought up. Barkley is more complete and played on a team of average college players as opposed to the superstars Bush played with, who was also in a dual RB offense.
Unless you can guarantee  
David B. : 4/14/2018 8:50 pm : link
He can stay healthy and unscathed -- no ACLs, or similarly terrible injuries, I don't see it. And it's not about BARKLEY. It's about being a RB in the NFL.

You have to envision a gold jacket?

NO, you pick a RB, and you have to envision performing at a high level for 6 years tops. Sure you might get more, but the law of averages isn't with you.
RE: Unless you can guarantee  
Gatorade Dunk : 4/14/2018 8:59 pm : link
In comment 13914381 David B. said:
Quote:
He can stay healthy and unscathed -- no ACLs, or similarly terrible injuries, I don't see it. And it's not about BARKLEY. It's about being a RB in the NFL.

You have to envision a gold jacket?

NO, you pick a RB, and you have to envision performing at a high level for 6 years tops. Sure you might get more, but the law of averages isn't with you.

The so-called "law of averages" applies to a large universe of samples, wherein the aggregate will inevitably regress to the mean. It doesn't apply to a single sample which has not yet been performed and could become an outlier in your sample set.
Lots of questions  
RAIN : 4/14/2018 11:19 pm : link
About Barkley. Non of those, for me are about talent. Take him off that Penn State team and they arenít a top ten team or worse. They game planned against him.

Now if your making the argument against Chubb or a QB, then those are legitimate questions. Or trading down to get one of those guys (Chubb, Nelson, or a qb) and a couple extra picks. But his talent is undeniable and is a foundation type player. Instant identity for an offense.
OH ffs  
Joey in VA : 4/14/2018 11:54 pm : link
Still we are at this point? Some people love him some people don't and neither side will convince the other of anything because we are all dumb animals who apparently are unable to reason any longer. WE find a position, we cling to it like a Koala on a tree and we never let go, yelling at anyone who disagrees. He's the best, he's the worst, he's a HoF, he can't break a tackle....and on and on and on and on and on. If you're seriously starting this thread out of curiosity, then fine, but otherwise you're being a shit stirrer who wants to shit on a player you don't like. What a novel fucking concept on BBI. Can anyone on this planet DISCUSS anything without it being absolutely the best or worst? Can ANYONE discuss the plus and minus of any situation any more? My guess, no fucking way
Barkley's numbers as a runner are not huge because....  
Dry Lightning : 4/15/2018 5:58 am : link
he wasn't given the ball like a workhorse runner. The reason for that is that he was catching the ball and returning kicks. He was doing all three things at a super blue chip level. The decision on who to take in this draft is very clear if the Browns take Darnold- we either take Barkley at 2 or trade down. Chubb may be a nice prospect- I personally think he will be a bust- but he is not even close to the level of prospect Barkley is. I would take Nelson before Chubb at 2 regardless of the position value. Barkely is the type of player who having on a roster can make you three or four wins better. A true bell cow. Very, very rare.
RE: OH ffs  
DonnieD89 : 4/15/2018 9:54 am : link
In comment 13914513 Joey in VA said:
Quote:
Still we are at this point? Some people love him some people don't and neither side will convince the other of anything because we are all dumb animals who apparently are unable to reason any longer. WE find a position, we cling to it like a Koala on a tree and we never let go, yelling at anyone who disagrees. He's the best, he's the worst, he's a HoF, he can't break a tackle....and on and on and on and on and on. If you're seriously starting this thread out of curiosity, then fine, but otherwise you're being a shit stirrer who wants to shit on a player you don't like. What a novel fucking concept on BBI. Can anyone on this planet DISCUSS anything without it being absolutely the best or worst? Can ANYONE discuss the plus and minus of any situation any more? My guess, no fucking way


Amen Joey! I want opinions on proís and conís of why the player is worth the #2 pick. Not stupid absolutes. I am in the Barkley camp because IMO I see opportunity; however, I understand the need and value of QB but only see one worthy of the pick. That just my opinion. If DG thinks otherwise, I completely would be happy with the pick. Nobody should be calling DG an idiot for what he does this draft, unless you have decades of experience in being a NFL staffer.
RE: Good article  
kes722 : 4/15/2018 6:16 pm : link
In comment 13914154 Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx said:
Quote:
Link below
Why Barkley is a transformational talent - ( New Window )


Thanks... good artical
RE: Good article  
Canton : 4/15/2018 6:34 pm : link
In comment 13914154 Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx said:
Quote:
Link below
Why Barkley is a transformational talent - ( New Window )



Excellent
RE: Barkley's numbers as a runner are not huge because....  
GoBlue6599 : 4/16/2018 9:13 am : link
In comment 13914554 Dry Lightning said:
Quote:
he wasn't given the ball like a workhorse runner. The reason for that is that he was catching the ball and returning kicks. He was doing all three things at a super blue chip level. The decision on who to take in this draft is very clear if the Browns take Darnold- we either take Barkley at 2 or trade down. Chubb may be a nice prospect- I personally think he will be a bust- but he is not even close to the level of prospect Barkley is. I would take Nelson before Chubb at 2 regardless of the position value. Barkely is the type of player who having on a roster can make you three or four wins better. A true bell cow. Very, very rare.

I don't know if he was running the ball at a super blue chip level.. His rushing numbers are not much better then the other backs in this draft... He was also shut down by Rutgers for crying out loud
RE: This is just my opinion  
Section331 : 4/16/2018 10:07 am : link
In comment 13914067 TrueBlue56 said:
Quote:
But, tiki was regarded as a borderline hall of famer. Barkley presents the same type of running / receiving style. He has speed, elusiveness, quickness and he can help in pass protection. He can be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

Gettleman said that Barkley is a rare talent and a lot of people see the talent.

If he can put up the type of numbers tiki did under Coughlin, then he is a homerun.


I disagree somewhat with the Tiki comp. There are certainly similarities, but Tiki was a MUCH better runner between the tackles. That's the thing with NFL RB's - you have to be able to make yardage up the middle. It's great to have outside speed, but most of your runs will start inside, and I don't think Barkley is particularly strong there.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a terrific player, but wouldn't be so quick to punch his ticket to the HOF.
Back to the Corner