Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Brewers and Mets Game 3 Thor Day!

ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 11:41 am
Mets Lineup

Brandon Nimmo – RF
Michael Conforto – CF
Yoenis Cespedes – LF
Todd Frazier – 3B
Wilmer Flores – 1B
Amed Rosario – SS
Jose Reyes – 2B
Tomas Nido – C
Noah Syndergaard – C

Brewers Lineup

Jonathan Villar – 2B
Eric Thames – 1B
Lorenzo Cain – CF
Travis Shaw – 3B
Domingo Santana – RF
Hernan Perez – LF
Orlando Arcia – SS
Jett Bandy – C
Jhoulys Chacin – P

The streak is over. Let's win this series and gear up for the Nats again. I actually love the lineup today. We need to keep our bench involved. Shitty weather again, unfortunately.
You think they play this game?  
bhill410 : 4/15/2018 11:54 am : link
.
To add - it would be nice to postpone Thor  
bhill410 : 4/15/2018 11:55 am : link
And go into the nats with Thor - DeGrom
Yeah, it’s not supposed to rain until later tonight.  
PhiPsi125 : 4/15/2018 11:55 am : link
But it will be cold and windy. Not like yesterday’s nice weather.
Supposed to be in the 30s with the wind chill  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 11:57 am : link
Rain is supposed to start around 3:00 PM.
Yeah, they’ll play  
Shecky : 4/15/2018 12:01 pm : link
Terrible conditions, but rain won’t be an issue till after 4. Worst case scenario is it’s a rain shortened game, but most likely can play 9
how long do we stick with Reyes  
CMicks3110 : 4/15/2018 12:03 pm : link
on the bench. This is his what? second start? I don't think he's a bench player. He needs to play regularly.
I’m seeing temps in the low 40s and rain won’t begin  
PhiPsi125 : 4/15/2018 12:05 pm : link
until 6pm. Definitely windy though.
RE: how long do we stick with Reyes  
Mike in NY : 4/15/2018 12:09 pm : link
In comment 13914754 CMicks3110 said:
Quote:
on the bench. This is his what? second start? I don't think he's a bench player. He needs to play regularly.


I think this might be his third start. Guillorme would offer more defensively at SS, but can't hit. Cecchini has defensive issues at SS so really is not ideal if Rosario needs a night off.
And don’t mess with this clubhouse  
Shecky : 4/15/2018 12:24 pm : link
Reyes will be fine
30 pitch first inning for Thor  
PhiPsi125 : 4/15/2018 1:25 pm : link
Fantastic.
Starting to wonder if Thor is hurt  
jpkmets : 4/15/2018 1:27 pm : link
He's a 96-97 pitcher right now rather than 98-99.

Been an uneven start to the season for him and the first was more of the same.

Disconcerting.
Cespedes looks dreadful  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 1:36 pm : link
I swear people used to complain about Duda. Cespedes is ten times more streaky.
Another great AB  
jpkmets : 4/15/2018 1:37 pm : link
from Frazier!
Frazier is a beast  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 1:37 pm : link
Thank you Toddfather.
Thor probably having a tough time getting a feel for the ball  
Vanzetti : 4/15/2018 1:53 pm : link
In the cold.

With a 20 mph wind blowing in from right field no reason to worry about LH hitting it out. More high fastballs
Thor should be batting 6th in this lineup  
Vanzetti : 4/15/2018 1:56 pm : link
.
Thor strikes out 5 in a row on an ice cold day  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 2:06 pm : link
Yeah... he's clearly injured.
20 swinging strikes in the first 4 innings  
Vanzetti : 4/15/2018 2:29 pm : link
Wow!
Clealry something isn't right  
Shecky : 4/15/2018 2:31 pm : link
He hasn't K'd EVERY batter.
DL him just to be safe.
1 foot short jeez  
bhill410 : 4/15/2018 2:34 pm : link
Also I kind of hope the brewers get a 2 out hit to take what would be noah lifted after 6 with a no-no
Wheres the tag attempt  
spike : 4/15/2018 2:42 pm : link
Todd?
No arguing  
spike : 4/15/2018 2:44 pm : link
Balls and strikes
They should start running Nimmo  
CMicks3110 : 4/15/2018 2:46 pm : link
to see if his long speed translates at all to stolen bases:

Have a day, Brandon Nimmo. Current #Statcast status ➡️
Leadoff hit: 103.3 mph exit velo, 29.8 ft/sec sprint speed.
Scoring from 2nd: 28.4 ft/sec SS.
Triple: 103.8 mph, 400-foot #barrel, 28.6 ft/sec SS. #Mets

29.8 FT/S is very very good.
Thor with a ton of 98s in the ice cold  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 2:46 pm : link
in the 5th inning for those still worried about velocity.
nice play  
madgiantscow009 : 4/15/2018 2:47 pm : link
Rosario.
RE: They should start running Nimmo  
spike : 4/15/2018 2:48 pm : link
In comment 13914941 CMicks3110 said:
Quote:
to see if his long speed translates at all to stolen bases:

Have a day, Brandon Nimmo. Current #Statcast status ➡️
Leadoff hit: 103.3 mph exit velo, 29.8 ft/sec sprint speed.
Scoring from 2nd: 28.4 ft/sec SS.
Triple: 103.8 mph, 400-foot #barrel, 28.6 ft/sec SS. #Mets

29.8 FT/S is very very good.


He should learn to bunt for basehits
Jose Reyes not coming through  
Chris L. : 4/15/2018 3:01 pm : link
in the clutch. Now there's something new. Please get rid of this guy.
101 pitches  
spike : 4/15/2018 3:07 pm : link
But only 6.1 innings. Shame that Noah has to leave the game.
He has to be more economical.

Maybe they shouldve pinched hit for him last inning.

RE: Jose Reyes not coming through  
spike : 4/15/2018 3:08 pm : link
In comment 13914961 Chris L. said:
Quote:
in the clutch. Now there's something new. Please get rid of this guy.


Reyes is the 25th man and tutor for Rosario and friend for Cespedes.
Now he can sit back down for a week
For everyone bitching about Gonzalez this game  
bhill410 : 4/15/2018 3:15 pm : link
Is 1-0 if he played today over flores
They have to double switch in  
spike : 4/15/2018 3:16 pm : link
Gonzalez for defense on a 1-0 game!

And how that wasn’t an error on Frazier  
bhill410 : 4/15/2018 3:17 pm : link
I have no idea. Just sloppy play all inning letting gsellman down
This weather is killing  
spike : 4/15/2018 3:17 pm : link
The Mets defense
Reyes should be the 26th man  
Chris L. : 4/15/2018 3:20 pm : link
he is sooo done. Also, can't play him on a day when you have all the other bench guys in the line up. Bad lineup constructed by Calloway today. This is a rubber game and you have to give Thor some help.
Mookie  
madgiantscow009 : 4/15/2018 3:21 pm : link
probably my first favorite baseball player.
Nimmo  
madgiantscow009 : 4/15/2018 3:22 pm : link
Mookie inspired HR.

nice ft/sec sprint speed on that.
Nimmo into the wind  
Vanzetti : 4/15/2018 3:25 pm : link
Impressive

With his size, he should be able to hit for more power than he was shown so far
RE: Nimmo into the wind  
madgiantscow009 : 4/15/2018 3:29 pm : link
In comment 13914985 Vanzetti said:
Quote:
Impressive

With his size, he should be able to hit for more power than he was shown so far


I assumed he was a smaller guy, guess not:

Brandon Nimmo

Positions: Outfielder and Pinch Hitter

Bats: Left • Throws: Right

6-3, 207lb

Nimmo should be the mets CF  
spike : 4/15/2018 3:33 pm : link
For the next 7 years
Im pretty sure Nimmo is my  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 3:33 pm : link
favorite Met at the moment.
RE: Nimmo should be the mets CF  
Mike in NY : 4/15/2018 3:35 pm : link
In comment 13914990 spike said:
Quote:
For the next 7 years


Where do Bruce, Cespedes, Conforto , and Smith/Alonso play?
Future Mets team  
spike : 4/15/2018 3:35 pm : link
Nimmo
Conforto
Cespedes
Machado
Flores
Smith/Alonzo
Rosario
Plawecki/Nido

Mets might want to consider a move  
pjcas18 : 4/15/2018 3:37 pm : link
to acquire a catcher and free up playing time for Nimmo.

Lagares? Not sure he's enough to get a catcher.

and they're not going to deal Bruce IMO.

Not sure who else, but Lagares seems the ideal candidate, but technically that just makes Nimmo the 4th OFer, need to get him in the every day lineup. and not just saying this off today's performance, many people felt this way.
RE: RE: Nimmo should be the mets CF  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 3:40 pm : link
In comment 13914993 Mike in NY said:
Quote:
In comment 13914990 spike said:


Quote:


For the next 7 years



Where do Bruce, Cespedes, Conforto , and Smith/Alonso play?


Bruce and Cespedes only have 2 more years left. Maybe you go with a 4 man OF rotation for one more year than trade Bruce or Cespedes. Nimmo isnt doomed to ride the bench forever and Im going to go out on a limb and say everyone wont stay healthy forever making it moot anyway.
RE: Mets might want to consider a move  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 3:41 pm : link
In comment 13914995 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
to acquire a catcher and free up playing time for Nimmo.

Lagares? Not sure he's enough to get a catcher.

and they're not going to deal Bruce IMO.

Not sure who else, but Lagares seems the ideal candidate, but technically that just makes Nimmo the 4th OFer, need to get him in the every day lineup. and not just saying this off today's performance, many people felt this way.


Nimmo is already the 4th OF. Lagares only plays against lefties or comes in late for defense.
RE: RE: Mets might want to consider a move  
pjcas18 : 4/15/2018 3:46 pm : link
In comment 13915003 ZGiants98 said:
Quote:
In comment 13914995 pjcas18 said:


Quote:


to acquire a catcher and free up playing time for Nimmo.

Lagares? Not sure he's enough to get a catcher.

and they're not going to deal Bruce IMO.

Not sure who else, but Lagares seems the ideal candidate, but technically that just makes Nimmo the 4th OFer, need to get him in the every day lineup. and not just saying this off today's performance, many people felt this way.



Nimmo is already the 4th OF. Lagares only plays against lefties or comes in late for defense.


Either way, my point is dealing Lagares doesn't necessarily free up playing time for Nimmo.

Bruce might be the only one they move that can do that and it's more natural I think having Nimmo in CF and Conforto in RF.

but I doubt they trade Bruce.

not sure what they can do
Remember when I said Nimmo should  
Chris L. : 4/15/2018 3:51 pm : link
not have been sent down....this is why. He is so much better than no hit Juan. Late game defense only buys you so much. Nimmo is a big difference maker in the line up.
RE: RE: RE: Mets might want to consider a move  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 3:53 pm : link
In comment 13915008 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 13915003 ZGiants98 said:


Quote:


In comment 13914995 pjcas18 said:


Quote:


to acquire a catcher and free up playing time for Nimmo.

Lagares? Not sure he's enough to get a catcher.

and they're not going to deal Bruce IMO.

Not sure who else, but Lagares seems the ideal candidate, but technically that just makes Nimmo the 4th OFer, need to get him in the every day lineup. and not just saying this off today's performance, many people felt this way.



Nimmo is already the 4th OF. Lagares only plays against lefties or comes in late for defense.



Either way, my point is dealing Lagares doesn't necessarily free up playing time for Nimmo.

Bruce might be the only one they move that can do that and it's more natural I think having Nimmo in CF and Conforto in RF.

but I doubt they trade Bruce.

not sure what they can do


I dont think it's the end of the world to have a real rotation. Give Bruce, Cespedes, Conforto, and AGone each one day off a week. If Nimmo is getting 4 starts plus is the first guy off the bench as a pinch hitter I think he will be fine. For some reason we arent doing that with him yet though.
Nimmo  
pjcas18 : 4/15/2018 3:55 pm : link
needs a double for a cycle.
At some point, Mickey is going to have to make the big boy decisions  
PhiPsi125 : 4/15/2018 4:01 pm : link
and sit players that are underperforming. This is ridiculous. Reyes shouldn’t start ever.
Reyes and Lobo are automatic  
Chris L. : 4/15/2018 4:05 pm : link
outs. You can't have the two of them and the pitchers spot. Too easy to shut that lineup down. Gavin C. has to be better than Reyes...no?
I would love to trade  
CMicks3110 : 4/15/2018 4:10 pm : link
for Derek Dietrich. Reyes is not a bench player. He needs to play everyday or not at all. He is an awful pinch hitter.
This is absolutely filthy  
pjcas18 : 4/15/2018 4:27 pm : link
for anyone who has twitter (there are more of these showing Thor's movement). I assume its not edited at all
Link - ( New Window )
WILMAAAAAAA!!!  
PhiPsi125 : 4/15/2018 4:40 pm : link
For the win!
Flo  
pjcas18 : 4/15/2018 4:40 pm : link
with the walkoff
Wilmerrrr  
CMicks3110 : 4/15/2018 4:40 pm : link
..
Wilmahh  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 4:42 pm : link
Haha.
Mets 9-2 against  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 4:46 pm : link
playoff contenders.
Really hope Nimmo is in the lineup tomorrow and Cespedes  
PhiPsi125 : 4/15/2018 4:46 pm : link
sits. Wouldn’t mind if Cespedes sits for a couple of games but I know that won’t happen. Hell, he’ll probably be in the lineup tomorrow. But Nimmo earned another start and this team desperately needs a player that can actually hit.
Wilmer totally clutch!  
Chris L. : 4/15/2018 4:50 pm : link
Just as big it saves the bullpen from further use.
Nats lose!  
Everyone Relax : 4/15/2018 4:52 pm : link
Haha.  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 4:53 pm : link
Nats 3-7 home stand.
Gotta admit, didn’t think that was a HR off the bat.  
PhiPsi125 : 4/15/2018 4:57 pm : link
That was a shot by Flores.
Flores  
spike : 4/15/2018 4:57 pm : link
Made up for his miscatch with a walkoff!
I’m almost more concerned about the Braves right now.  
PhiPsi125 : 4/15/2018 4:58 pm : link
Their offense is locked in right now.
Big series for the Nats  
spike : 4/15/2018 4:59 pm : link
They are already 5.5 games out.

The Mets can do a lot of damage this week
lol.  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 5:00 pm : link
Most walk off hits since 2015:
Wilmer Flores: 5
Bryce Harper: 5
Carlos Correa: 5
Nelson Cruz: 5
Ian Kinsler: 5
Josh Harrison: 5
Mark Trumbo: 5
Is there anyone that looks happier after hitting a HR than Nimmo?  
PhiPsi125 : 4/15/2018 5:16 pm : link
That was great!
Nimmo  
pjcas18 : 4/15/2018 5:21 pm : link
always seems happy, he seems like he's smiling all the time.

Great quote from him here per Gelbs twitter:

Quote:
Want to love Brandon Nimmo more? Read this quote: "If you talk to a lot of the guys around here, it’s the most talented team they’ve played on. So yeah, that makes at-bats hard to come by but that also makes a World Series a very plausible thing..."

And thats what we all want to do. I mean how many opportunities do you get to do that? So I want to be a part of a World Series team and if that means that I have to come off the bench and put up a good at bat for a pinch hit or whatever it may be, that’s what I’m gonna do..."

"Because I want to see this team winning a World series at the end of the year."
.  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 5:33 pm : link
@Todd_Rosiak

I asked Travis Shaw what it was like facing Noah Syndergaard today in those conditions. "Good luck," he said. "Freakin' wiffle balls at 98 miles an hour. His changeup's disgusting. It's what he's known for."
RE: Big series for the Nats  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 5:36 pm : link
In comment 13915073 spike said:
Quote:
They are already 5.5 games out.

The Mets can do a lot of damage this week


Just take 2 of 3 and we are so in the drivers seat for a while.
Realmuto  
Vanzetti : 4/15/2018 5:45 pm : link
Does a package of Dom Smith, Cecchini and Bautista get him?
Marlins  
CMicks3110 : 4/15/2018 5:47 pm : link
Are going to try to get a bidding war and they already have bour
RE: Realmuto  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 5:49 pm : link
In comment 13915097 Vanzetti said:
Quote:
Does a package of Dom Smith, Cecchini and Bautista get him?


Who knows. You have people on one extreme side that are usually always wrong that will say no package on earth will get him and there are others that will suggest too little. Sandy isnt giving up our farm or giving away guys like Rosario so if there have been any discussions Im betting they have been modest.
Yelich and Ozuna are better and younger than Realmuto  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 5:51 pm : link
and they didnt exactly go for a kings ransom. I do think Realmuto's pricetag will be large but you just dont know how these things will go down. Im on record saying I would give up Gimenez.
RE: RE: Realmuto  
Vanzetti : 4/15/2018 6:04 pm : link
In comment 13915103 ZGiants98 said:
Quote:
In comment 13915097 Vanzetti said:


Quote:


Does a package of Dom Smith, Cecchini and Bautista get him?



Who knows. You have people on one extreme side that are usually always wrong that will say no package on earth will get him and there are others that will suggest too little. Sandy isnt giving up our farm or giving away guys like Rosario so if there have been any discussions Im betting they have been modest.


To me, Alonso makes Dom expendable so
Mets would be trading from strength
Nats board. lol  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 6:14 pm : link
So does anyone know who is starting for nats tomorrow?  
bhill410 : 4/15/2018 7:01 pm : link
I have seen Cole, hellickson, and gio on different websites
.  
arcarsenal : 4/15/2018 8:03 pm : link
:)
RE: Nimmo  
spike : 4/15/2018 8:19 pm : link
In comment 13915079 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
always seems happy, he seems like he's smiling all the time.

Great quote from him here per Gelbs twitter:



Quote:


Want to love Brandon Nimmo more? Read this quote: "If you talk to a lot of the guys around here, it’s the most talented team they’ve played on. So yeah, that makes at-bats hard to come by but that also makes a World Series a very plausible thing..."

And thats what we all want to do. I mean how many opportunities do you get to do that? So I want to be a part of a World Series team and if that means that I have to come off the bench and put up a good at bat for a pinch hit or whatever it may be, that’s what I’m gonna do..."

"Because I want to see this team winning a World series at the end of the year."



Gotta love theses glue guys like Nimmo and Flores
RE: So does anyone know who is starting for nats tomorrow?  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 8:23 pm : link
In comment 13915139 bhill410 said:
Quote:
I have seen Cole, hellickson, and gio on different websites


Hellickson
Nimmo is awesome - I really hope he doesn't get traded but he will be  
Eric on Li : 4/15/2018 8:31 pm : link
their most obvious trade bait. It wouldn't shock me if he could headline a trade for a Realmuto or someone like that, but honestly I think he's a gamer and a winning player so I really don't want to deal him. He's part Eckstein, part Brett Gardner.

Bruce is a solid hitter and an underrated player (based on no other team in baseball wanting him for 2+ years) in general, but resigning him locked them into a difficult playing time situation - unless he moves to 1b. Which isn't impossible, but also didn't seem like something they were considering in ST when Dom Smith was hurt and AGon wasn't looking good. I guess this is 1 of those good problems to have though.
I dont believe that at all.  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 10:18 pm : link
Based on nobody wanting him? He actually went farily early in this offseason as far as free agency went in a very depressed market for power hitting players this year. Did nobody want Moustakas, Frazier, or Hosmer either? He also was traded for a player at the deadline last year and that prospect is currently impressing.

Bruce is what a three time all star coming off one of his best seasons? Plenty of teams would like to have Bruce.
Didn't we say that last year about Bruce? I don't remember  
Ten Ton Hammer : 4/15/2018 10:42 pm : link
much interest in him then.
RE: Nimmo is awesome - I really hope he doesn't get traded but he will be  
JayBinQueens : 4/15/2018 10:44 pm : link
In comment 13915215 Eric on Li said:
Quote:


Bruce is a solid hitter and an underrated player (based on no other team in baseball wanting him for 2+ years) in general, but resigning him locked them into a difficult playing time situation - unless he moves to 1b. Which isn't impossible, but also didn't seem like something they were considering in ST when Dom Smith was hurt and AGon wasn't looking good. I guess this is 1 of those good problems to have though.


Have they said they don't want to see Bruce at 1st? They've mentioned on the broadcast that he didn't get reps at 1st in spring training was because of a foot injury
RE: RE: Nimmo is awesome - I really hope he doesn't get traded but he will be  
Eric on Li : 4/15/2018 10:59 pm : link
In comment 13915318 JayBinQueens said:
Quote:


Have they said they don't want to see Bruce at 1st? They've mentioned on the broadcast that he didn't get reps at 1st in spring training was because of a foot injury


In ST they seemed to not want to move him there. I'd guess that will remain the case while they remain hopeful in Smith and Gonzalez is playing well.
RE: I dont believe that at all.  
Eric on Li : 4/15/2018 11:05 pm : link
In comment 13915299 ZGiants98 said:
Quote:
Based on nobody wanting him? He actually went farily early in this offseason as far as free agency went in a very depressed market for power hitting players this year. Did nobody want Moustakas, Frazier, or Hosmer either? He also was traded for a player at the deadline last year and that prospect is currently impressing.

Bruce is what a three time all star coming off one of his best seasons? Plenty of teams would like to have Bruce.


He was on pace for a career year last year and he didn't even bring back a top 30 prospect in the Cleveland org. That's underrated. Not sure how you figure nobody wanted Hosmer when he got $100m more than Bruce.
RE: RE: I dont believe that at all.  
ZGiants98 : 4/15/2018 11:19 pm : link
In comment 13915334 Eric on Li said:
Quote:
In comment 13915299 ZGiants98 said:


Quote:


Based on nobody wanting him? He actually went farily early in this offseason as far as free agency went in a very depressed market for power hitting players this year. Did nobody want Moustakas, Frazier, or Hosmer either? He also was traded for a player at the deadline last year and that prospect is currently impressing.

Bruce is what a three time all star coming off one of his best seasons? Plenty of teams would like to have Bruce.



He was on pace for a career year last year and he didn't even bring back a top 30 prospect in the Cleveland org. That's underrated. Not sure how you figure nobody wanted Hosmer when he got $100m more than Bruce.


That was the same thing for every free agent at the deadline last year. Because of the juiced ball there just wasnt a huge demand for power hitters. JD Martinez might be the best hitter in baseball and he got traded to the Diamondbacks for a crappy return. It was a product of the season. Doesnt mean these are players nobody wants.
next 3 games  
spike : 4/15/2018 11:25 pm : link
Jeremy Hellickson-Degrom

Gio Gonzalez - Wheeler

Roark - Matz
RE: next 3 games  
ZGiants98 : 4/16/2018 12:24 am : link
In comment 13915352 spike said:
Quote:
Jeremy Hellickson-Degrom

Gio Gonzalez - Wheeler

Roark - Matz


Love it. We miss Sherzer and Stras and they miss Harvey. Sweet. Lets bury them.
Really hope  
gmen9892 : 4/16/2018 9:39 am : link
Citi has some good draining. I dont want to PPD ANY of these games. Mets need to kick the Nats while they are down, and take advantage of these pitching matchups this series. We could see a 7+ game lead by the time the Mets are done in Washington.
RE: RE: next 3 games  
Metnut : 4/16/2018 9:45 am : link
In comment 13915376 ZGiants98 said:
Quote:
In comment 13915352 spike said:


Quote:


Jeremy Hellickson-Degrom

Gio Gonzalez - Wheeler

Roark - Matz



Love it. We miss Sherzer and Stras and they miss Harvey. Sweet. Lets bury them.


From your mouth to god's ears! Let's take it to these bastards and dig their hole even deeper.
RE: Really hope  
gmen9892 : 4/16/2018 9:49 am : link
In comment 13915615 gmen9892 said:
Quote:
Citi has some good draining. I dont want to PPD ANY of these games. Mets need to kick the Nats while they are down, and take advantage of these pitching matchups this series. We could see a 7+ game lead by the time the Mets are done in Washington.


*With Washington.
Great win  
Rflairr : 4/16/2018 10:16 am : link
But they aren’t going to keep getting away with these five inning starts and being this bad with RISP. Bullpen has been unbelievable
The actual raw innings pitched  
Metnut : 4/16/2018 10:18 am : link
by our bullpen isn't really anything unusual. The issue is that the Mets best guys are shouldering most of the load because the team is winning so many games. Most teams will have more games like Sat night where you can just let your last guys on the roster eat up those innings.

It's a good problem to have, but it presents a challenge to the coaching staff to keep these guys fresh realizing that a baseball season is a marathon.
Last time I’ll mention it  
Shecky : 4/16/2018 10:37 am : link
There is one team in all of MLB, and only one. That is built to avoid a burnt out BP. Good or bad, that is the one area, depth of BP, that shouldn’t be a concern.
RE: The actual raw innings pitched  
gmen9892 : 4/16/2018 10:44 am : link
In comment 13915706 Metnut said:
Quote:
by our bullpen isn't really anything unusual. The issue is that the Mets best guys are shouldering most of the load because the team is winning so many games. Most teams will have more games like Sat night where you can just let your last guys on the roster eat up those innings.

It's a good problem to have, but it presents a challenge to the coaching staff to keep these guys fresh realizing that a baseball season is a marathon.



The offense as a whole really needs to start picking it up. The team has played in a LOT of close games, which is causing their best guys to get overworked.

Would also help to get some legit length out of the Starters for a week straight.
6th in NL in R/G  
Shecky : 4/16/2018 10:48 am : link
Not exactly anemic
Especially for a team built on pitching
But us Mets fans always have to find something
RE: RE: The actual raw innings pitched  
Section331 : 4/16/2018 11:13 am : link
In comment 13915752 gmen9892 said:
Quote:

The offense as a whole really needs to start picking it up. The team has played in a LOT of close games, which is causing their best guys to get overworked.

Would also help to get some legit length out of the Starters for a week straight.


It's not unusual for offenses to struggle in cold weather. I'm not too worried about the O, wait until it starts to get warm, and Ces takes off.
Cespedes has definitely been disappointing  
ZGiants98 : 4/16/2018 11:24 am : link
But we are still scoring enough in spite of him. He’s a streaky guy, as are most power hitters. He’s the straw that stirs the drink though... when he takes off so will the offense. It’s already pretty decent even without him.
I admire  
Metnut : 4/16/2018 11:29 am : link
Cespedes' passion but he needs a day off or two. Even if he's playing well, he should be sat at least once a week IMO. Look at the guy's injury history. Also, we might have the best 4th OF in MLB.
RE: I admire  
spike : 4/16/2018 11:35 am : link
In comment 13915835 Metnut said:
Quote:
Cespedes' passion but he needs a day off or two. Even if he's playing well, he should be sat at least once a week IMO. Look at the guy's injury history. Also, we might have the best 4th OF in MLB.


Agrred. Not a youngster anymore. Same for Bruce.
RE: I admire  
ZGiants98 : 4/16/2018 11:42 am : link
In comment 13915835 Metnut said:
Quote:
Cespedes' passion but he needs a day off or two. Even if he's playing well, he should be sat at least once a week IMO. Look at the guy's injury history. Also, we might have the best 4th OF in MLB.


Agree. I rest everyone one day a week. Everyone thinks they are playing the “Show” and wants to see the A+ lineup every day but it’s a long season. Keep the bench involved and keep the regulars rested and fresh.
RE: 6th in NL in R/G  
PhiPsi125 : 4/16/2018 11:53 am : link
In comment 13915767 Shecky said:
Quote:
Not exactly anemic
Especially for a team built on pitching
But us Mets fans always have to find something


Come on, man. You really think all is fine on the offensive side of the ball? Teams can't live an entire season on these types of wins. I love what we've been able to do but the worm is going to turn at some point if the offense can't get it going. And I'm sure they will. But it's not just something to bitch at.
I'm surprised that Ces hasn't been rested yet,  
Section331 : 4/16/2018 11:55 am : link
but he doesn't need a day off every week. He's 30 an dplays LF, not a lot of stress there. Every other week is plenty of rest, IMO.

I'm not worried about Ces at all. He'll break out soon.
Would love to see Cespedes get the day off today  
Mike in NY : 4/16/2018 11:56 am : link
But he has hit Hellickson well in the past and has not hit well against Roark while Nimmo I think is 2 for 3 with a HR in his career against Roark. Ideally they go with regular line-up today, replace Conforto with Lagares and Gonzalez with Flores against Gio, and give Cespedes off against with Roark and have Nimmo in his place. Thursday or Friday against Atlanta you have Nimmo spell Bruce unless he has a hot series against Washington.
I'd rest players  
pjcas18 : 4/16/2018 12:10 pm : link
regularly, but less to keep them fresh and more to get the bench guys involved.

Yesterday it was clear that offensively Nimmo (bench) and Flores (bench) won the game.

May not happen that way every day that they get bench contributions, but I can't remember a deeper bench on a Mets team. '86?
.  
ZGiants98 : 4/16/2018 12:11 pm : link

Anthony DiComo

@AnthonyDiComo
Brandon Nimmo showed off his wheels on the basepaths yesterday, reaching a season-high 29.8 ft/sec, per Statcast. That's elite speed. To give you some perspective, Amed Rosario ranked fifth in baseball last year with an average max-effort sprint speed of 29.5 ft/sec.
I had no idea Nimmo was still that fast  
ZGiants98 : 4/16/2018 12:13 pm : link
Pretty fucking cool.
We have a bunch of huge power hitters  
ZGiants98 : 4/16/2018 12:15 pm : link
Eventually when the weather warms up we are going to have weeks where we put up 10+ runs in games. Bruce, Frazier, Conforto, Cespedes... none are really hitting bombs yet. They will.
Cespedes is leading all of baseball in  
ZGiants98 : 4/16/2018 12:16 pm : link
Strikeouts. Yikes.
RE: I had no idea Nimmo was still that fast  
Mike in NY : 4/16/2018 12:19 pm : link
In comment 13915904 ZGiants98 said:
Quote:
Pretty fucking cool.


He actually has good sense/speed when underway, but he really does not have that good first few steps that base stealers have
.  
arcarsenal : 4/16/2018 12:20 pm : link
I have no concerns about Cespedes right now - the weather has really been terrible. So many of these games have been played in very cold/windy conditions.

If Ces is still striking out more than anyone else in baseball when the temps get into the 70's, I'll be concerned.
I think with YC  
Chris684 : 4/16/2018 1:12 pm : link
it's important to note that even with the high number of K's there have been a couple of game winners, some power, and some impactful plays in LF.

Knock on wood, but he's in a good place both physically and mentally. If this team is to be playing in October, he will have to be a big part of it.

So far so good.
Phillies are 9-5  
dep026 : 4/16/2018 1:14 pm : link
just wanted to join in on conversation on teams playign good ball!
RE: Phillies are 9-5  
spike : 4/16/2018 1:24 pm : link
In comment 13915998 dep026 said:
Quote:
just wanted to join in on conversation on teams playign good ball!


Both Phi and Atl have arrived earlier than expected.
Kapler has done a fine job after looking terrible the first couple pf days
RE: Cespedes is leading all of baseball in  
Rory : 4/16/2018 1:54 pm : link
In comment 13915911 ZGiants98 said:
Quote:
Strikeouts. Yikes.


Z lets also give credit where credit is due

Ces is also been showing that 5th skillset he has gunning down runners from the outfield to the basepaths.

The power will come soon, it always does. Just keep the guys hammys fresh.
Back to the Corner