Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Browns Asshat rd 1 thinking..

1st and 10 : 4/16/2018 1:06 am
I have a friend in the business, no direct connection to any one team. It is the same friend that told me about the Solder signing before it happened (Which I posted the signing and number of years before the story broke in the press on this board).

Anyway, he has told me the Browns organization is debating how to best ensure they get both Allen and Barkley. The current thinking is to take Barkley at one knowing the Giants will be forced to pick Darnold and the Jets prefer Rosen, thus ensuring Allen at 4. The only fear is the Jets in this scenario taking Allen.

They are afraid if they leave a choice of Darnold or Barkley to the Giants, they will choose Barkley.

My own opinion here, I could see the Browns inquiring with the Giants about pick 2.

Pages: 1 2 | Show All |  Next>>
.  
huygens20 : 4/16/2018 1:12 am : link
Jesus,,, if allen goes #1.... there will be chaos
Thanks for the info...  
Saos1n : 4/16/2018 1:12 am : link
Please continue to do so, despite the bullshit some endure
Thanks for sharing.  
bceagle05 : 4/16/2018 1:21 am : link
Nice to know we're only 10 days from finding out.
I don't think  
allstarjim : 4/16/2018 1:22 am : link
There is much chance at the Browns either:

A) Taking Barkley at 1.
B) Trading up to 2.

I believe the Browns know that the stable of picks they have, particularly at the top of round 2, with picks at #33 and #35 (and another at 64 for that matter), that they would forgo those picks unless they were trading back into the first round for a player they really liked, which would be a 3rd first round pick for them.

This is the best chance for them to make a huge turnaround of their franchise adding 4 top 35 picks to their team, the QB at the top of their board, and the one of the top 2 position players.

I think that's incredibly difficult to pass that up. I've said before, 25 years. 25 years of not having a franchise QB. If they dick around, and take Barkley at #1, then they really risk not getting their QB, because the Giants could yet still trade down with the Bills or Broncos, who could then take their desired QB. I think if Dorsey goes anything but QB at #1, he will have to answer to a very angry fan base, particularly if the QB they grab at 4 doesn't pan out. It's a disaster waiting to happen and one that could cost jobs.

The one thing I am concerned about is their love for Barkley. I really do want him as a Giant and will be pretty bummed if he's not, no matter who the player is we get. I'll get over it. However, if the Browns do love Barkley as much as it sounds like they do (and what's not to like), the bad news for the Giants is that there likely isn't a way to get him after a trade down, even to the Broncos at #5. Theoretically, the Giants could trade down to 5, and perhaps trade back up 1 spot to the Browns at 4, but if they love Barkley this much, throwing an extra pick or two at them isn't likely going to entice them enough to part with the chance of drafting Saquon.

It's starting to sound like the Giants simply must either take Barkley at 2, or trade down and resign themselves to getting the next best thing and more players.

If that's the case, and I'm Gettleman, that's what I do, is just take Barkley at 2, and be happy I'm getting the best offensive weapon to come out of the draft for a very long time.

RE: I don't think  
Saos1n : 4/16/2018 1:28 am : link
In comment 13915393 allstarjim said:
Quote:
There is much chance at the Browns either:

A) Taking Barkley at 1.
B) Trading up to 2.

I believe the Browns know that the stable of picks they have, particularly at the top of round 2, with picks at #33 and #35 (and another at 64 for that matter), that they would forgo those picks unless they were trading back into the first round for a player they really liked, which would be a 3rd first round pick for them.

This is the best chance for them to make a huge turnaround of their franchise adding 4 top 35 picks to their team, the QB at the top of their board, and the one of the top 2 position players.

I think that's incredibly difficult to pass that up. I've said before, 25 years. 25 years of not having a franchise QB. If they dick around, and take Barkley at #1, then they really risk not getting their QB, because the Giants could yet still trade down with the Bills or Broncos, who could then take their desired QB. I think if Dorsey goes anything but QB at #1, he will have to answer to a very angry fan base, particularly if the QB they grab at 4 doesn't pan out. It's a disaster waiting to happen and one that could cost jobs.

The one thing I am concerned about is their love for Barkley. I really do want him as a Giant and will be pretty bummed if he's not, no matter who the player is we get. I'll get over it. However, if the Browns do love Barkley as much as it sounds like they do (and what's not to like), the bad news for the Giants is that there likely isn't a way to get him after a trade down, even to the Broncos at #5. Theoretically, the Giants could trade down to 5, and perhaps trade back up 1 spot to the Browns at 4, but if they love Barkley this much, throwing an extra pick or two at them isn't likely going to entice them enough to part with the chance of drafting Saquon.

It's starting to sound like the Giants simply must either take Barkley at 2, or trade down and resign themselves to getting the next best thing and more players.

If that's the case, and I'm Gettleman, that's what I do, is just take Barkley at 2, and be happy I'm getting the best offensive weapon to come out of the draft for a very long time.


Unless... The following is considered 'too cute'...

Giants take Barkley at 2, call the Browns when they are on the clock, and work out a deal....

Take Rosen, along with a slew of picks...

So tasty
Id be happy with Either  
RAIN : 4/16/2018 3:26 am : link
To be honest.

Though its not sexy, Id learn to like Chubb too. 🤯🕺🏽
I think the Giants sprint to the podium if Darnold is available.  
shockeyisthebest8056 : 4/16/2018 3:45 am : link
(Or they should.) If this is true, the Browns are best off taking Allen first overall. I think Darnold being off the board is the only way the Giants select a non-QB second overall.

I've read in a few different places writers saying their own sources tell them the Browns are trying to get the Giants to trade up to first overall. This lends credence to the idea the Browns prefer Allen to Darnold.
By the way,  
1st and 10 : 4/16/2018 5:01 am : link
he also mentioned he would not be surprised to see the Browns unload a 2nd round pick this year for a 1 next year, most likely not the 33rd pick though.
This would be A dream scenario  
jgambrosio : 4/16/2018 5:38 am : link
Trade back to 4 and then someone who wants the third QB can pay us a random as well. I'm in the barkley camp put this could get us a ton of early picks by trading back twice, even if it's just with the broncos on the second trade. We could still get Chubb or nelson at 5 or theoretically trade back again at that point who knows what the colts will give up to make sure they get what they want.
RE: I think the Giants sprint to the podium if Darnold is available.  
TheMick7 : 4/16/2018 6:04 am : link
In comment 13915410 shockeyisthebest8056 said:
Quote:
(Or they should.) If this is true, the Browns are best off taking Allen first overall. I think Darnold being off the board is the only way the Giants select a non-QB second overall.

I've read in a few different places writers saying their own sources tell them the Browns are trying to get the Giants to trade up to first overall. This lends credence to the idea the Browns prefer Allen to Darnold.


Agree. If Darnold is there,DG should send in the pick almost immediately. Unless some team then overwhelms him,then he'll have to decide if Sam is Gold Jacket quality!
could be true  
Tom from LI : 4/16/2018 6:18 am : link
but the Giants are also sending out signs they love Allen. So they pass on their QB to grab Barkley the Browns could lose Allen to the Giants or if the Giants trade out.

Like JonC has said for some time now I think the Giants want Darnold or Barkley. Their current interest in Allen and Chubb could be genuine but I think it is to make the Browns think they have to trade with the Giants from 4 to 2. I believe the Jets were ok with going to #3 because they feel they can snag either Mayfield or Rosen. I think they want Mayfield but it could be Rosen. I think they know that the Giants and the Browns both have no real interest in Mayfield or Rosen.

I also think that Denver is going to sit tight because they know a QB will fall to them at 5 but if they don't I outlined an trade idea below.

All this misdirection is between the Browns and Giants. Honestly the only trade down I can see is the Giant sliding to 4.

At that rate the Browns go:

Allen/Darnold
Barkley

Jets go
Mayfield/Rosen/(Darnold or Allen)

Giants get the Browns #35 and #64 and they pick
(Darnold, Mayfield, Allen or Rosen)
Chubb
Nelson
or they could trade back with Denver and get another 2nd rounder and maybe a 1st next year and then still pick
the remainder of(Darnold, Mayfield, Allen or Rosen)
Chubb
Nelson.

All this talk is chess moves.

DG is playing it perfectly. To me it seems like he is the one in the drivers seat, not Dorsey.

The #2 pick is a really great place to be if you want to maximize return.




I do not think any of the QBs are gold jacket worthy  
George from PA : 4/16/2018 6:20 am : link
Barkley and Nelson and some unknown who will excell
I could see Barkley going 1..  
Sean : 4/16/2018 6:21 am : link
Id assume NYG takes Darnold, Mayfield to NYJ & Browns still get Allen.
I wonder about the Browns passing (again) on the top rated QB  
JohnB : 4/16/2018 6:28 am : link
whoever that may, for Barkley at #1. Do they really take a chance on losing their top guy? I don't doubt the asshat info (and thank you) but in at the end of the day, I have to believe that the Browns will take the best QB at #1 and hope for the best at #4.
I'm sure the Beowns have talked about this  
ZogZerg : 4/16/2018 6:40 am : link
But, there is NO CHANCE they take Barkley at 1. ZERO chance. They can talk about it for the next 2 weeks, but when time comes for them to make their choice, it will be a QB. Which ever one they believe will be "the guy".

If the Giants are really at Barkley or Darnold then there is no way the Giants trade with Browns and move down to 4.
You had the solder signing  
QB Snacks : 4/16/2018 6:47 am : link
Years ago?
Sorry  
QB Snacks : 4/16/2018 6:48 am : link
Misread!
This kinda matches Colin's info  
twostepgiants : 4/16/2018 7:05 am : link
That there is intrigue going on at top of Draft and Browns trying to get extra pivk because they think Giants and Jets both want Rosen and they are going Darnold.
If Browns want to control their own destiny and make a deal  
Jimmy Googs : 4/16/2018 7:07 am : link
for the the #2 pick, we should simply be able to rape them.

Imo, the Browns should do this as they are offered the unique opportunity to pull it off based on how this draft order fell and the capital they maintain.

RE: If Browns want to control their own destiny and make a deal  
Tom from LI : 4/16/2018 7:13 am : link
In comment 13915447 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
for the the #2 pick, we should simply be able to rape them.

Imo, the Browns should do this as they are offered the unique opportunity to pull it off based on how this draft order fell and the capital they maintain.


+100000

the ONLY way the Browns can guarantee the availability  
markky : 4/16/2018 7:22 am : link
of their top 2 choices is to trade with the Giants. and they have the capital to do it.

and the only way i would do it would be for their 2 #2s and next year's 1.

otherwise stay and take your first choice.
RE: could be true  
twostepgiants : 4/16/2018 7:27 am : link
In comment 13915427 Tom from LI said:
Quote:
but the Giants are also sending out signs they love Allen. So they pass on their QB to grab Barkley the Browns could lose Allen to the Giants or if the Giants trade out.

Like JonC has said for some time now I think the Giants want Darnold or Barkley. Their current interest in Allen and Chubb could be genuine but I think it is to make the Browns think they have to trade with the Giants from 4 to 2. I believe the Jets were ok with going to #3 because they feel they can snag either Mayfield or Rosen. I think they want Mayfield but it could be Rosen. I think they know that the Giants and the Browns both have no real interest in Mayfield or Rosen.

I also think that Denver is going to sit tight because they know a QB will fall to them at 5 but if they don't I outlined an trade idea below.

All this misdirection is between the Browns and Giants. Honestly the only trade down I can see is the Giant sliding to 4.

At that rate the Browns go:

Allen/Darnold
Barkley

Jets go
Mayfield/Rosen/(Darnold or Allen)

Giants get the Browns #35 and #64 and they pick
(Darnold, Mayfield, Allen or Rosen)
Chubb
Nelson
or they could trade back with Denver and get another 2nd rounder and maybe a 1st next year and then still pick
the remainder of(Darnold, Mayfield, Allen or Rosen)
Chubb
Nelson.

All this talk is chess moves.

DG is playing it perfectly. To me it seems like he is the one in the drivers seat, not Dorsey.

The #2 pick is a really great place to be if you want to maximize return.





JonC has been very clear so far that he has not heard anything and has been stating his opinion.
They would have to take Barkley 1  
Chip : 4/16/2018 7:29 am : link
and then you can trade with Cleveland or whoever for the QB pick. I believe the Giants are not interested in the QBs. Every time Gettleman or Shurmar say win now means were not taking a QB. Barkley or Chubb.
If Browns take Barkley  
Andy in Boston : 4/16/2018 7:32 am : link
Giants will trade down
1st and 10  
joeinpa : 4/16/2018 7:37 am : link
Boomer Eaison just agreed with your take on the Browns in regards to coming out of this draft with Allen and Barkley.

It makes sense that if the Browns believe the Giants would choose Barkley over Darnold, the safest path to getting both their guys would be to take Barkley first.

The interesting thing in this scenerio is that it is the Jets that could screw up their plans.

I would be disappointed if Darnold were there at #2 and the Giants don't take him.

But your info is encouraging for those that want Darnold.

Thanks for sharing and ignore any who always feel the need to be jerks on these types of posts. Most of us love them
Id be fine letting the Browns give us #4, their 2nd rd pick  
mfsd : 4/16/2018 7:44 am : link
And their #1 next year for #2

I have been suggesting Cleveland would and should want  
Rjanyg : 4/16/2018 7:44 am : link
To trade for the 2nd pick. They need a franchise QB in the worst way but should also try to secure Barkley. It all depends on what Cleveland would be willing to give in return.

For pick #2, Cleveland should have to trade 33,64 and at least another pick, maybe the first pick of round 4.

Think back to 2004. NYG traded, Rivers, 2004 3rd round, 2005 1st and 5th round picks, to basically move up 4 places. The Browns are trying to move up 2 places but the value of the pick is so much more because I think other teams want the pick too.

Gettlemen has his price but more importantly, does he think any player is truly worth the 2nd overall pick? The answer may be NO and the idea of more picks is worth the 2nd round pick.

Personally, regardless of the Giants QB situation, Barkley is the best player in the draft and worth the 2nd pick, Neslon is next then Chubb. Rosen is most polished QB and Darnold is the guy who has the most potential. He is young but has a knack of winning and making things happen.

Here is the thing: NYG will still have a chance at One of the QB's. If they know who Cleveland is taking and who NYJ wants, this could work out unbelievable if they drop to pick4. Maybe get you QB, but if not, the best OL or the best Edge guy in the draft, plus an additional 3 picks this year.
Thanks for the  
section125 : 4/16/2018 7:46 am : link
asshat info. It is a real possibility, but the Browns in the end should take their QB 1st. QB is more important than RB and there are plenty of very good RBs that will be available at #33.
If they take Barkley 1st, I guess the Giants go Darnold 2nd (prefer Rosen), Jets may take Allen, leaving Cleveland Rosen and Mayfield.

But it really comes down to who is their #1 QB and do they view Barkley more important than QB.
If the Browns think that they're nuts.  
FStubbs : 4/16/2018 8:02 am : link
I think if they take Allen #1 Barkley will fall to them naturally at #4.

The Jets are obviously taking a QB. The Giants are either going to take a QB, or, with Allen off the board and Darnold/Rosen still there, some team will make the Giants an offer they can't refuse and draft a QB.

If they take Barkley at #1 they're insane.

Now if they want to move from #4 to #2 and give up both 2nd round picks, I think the Giants would do it, and get Darnold or Rosen at #4.
I've heard Barkley, Chubb, Nelson in that order  
JonC : 4/16/2018 8:06 am : link
Nothing on QBs, I just have a suspicion they'll pick Darnold if he's there, and suspect the other QBs are graded below the three blue chips I mentioned.
as for the OP  
JonC : 4/16/2018 8:07 am : link
I did hear the same theory a few weeks ago and mentioned it here, Browns are trying to get both SB and their QB target.
The browns trading up to 2 to take Barkley doesn't make sense  
Hades07 : 4/16/2018 8:10 am : link
In order to do that the Browns would need to think that the Giants will take Barkley. If the Giants make the deal it means they wouldn't have taken Barkley, so why would the Browns give up picks? If the Giants do want Barkley, they won't trade.
Thank you for sharing  
UberAlias : 4/16/2018 8:11 am : link
Here is a comment from Michael Silver from SI, who is well connected with the Browns:

Michael Silver

Verified account

@MikeSilver
Apr 12

More
I would caution anyone making assumptions about which player(s) the Browns would likely take at 1 and 4 overall. Long way to go, lot of misinformation out there. I'm not allowed to tip picks but... stay tuned
If Allen is their target  
Motley Two : 4/16/2018 8:19 am : link
I think that's the way to go about it.

Consolation prize Darnold or Rosen (which only sucks if their is something about whichever one is left that they really don't like). Not bad.
Who knows,  
Big Blue '56 : 4/16/2018 8:45 am : link
but if the Browns take Barkley or we pass on him, At least (hopefully) hell be out of the NFC, should he prove to be all they say he is
Darnold is the prize  
ThatLimerickGuy : 4/16/2018 8:47 am : link
Been saying it for weeks and it's not just my opinion.
According to the source..  
1st and 10 : 4/16/2018 8:49 am : link
the only thing stopping the Browns from taking Barkley at 1 is the Jets.

They do not want Darnold and Allen to go 2 and 3 as they are not high on Rosen at all due to the injuries.

RE: Darnold is the prize  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 4/16/2018 8:52 am : link
In comment 13915507 ThatLimerickGuy said:
Quote:
Been saying it for weeks and it's not just my opinion.


If Darnold is truly the prize over Barkley then Browns could take Allen or Barkley #1 and still get their guy at 4.

Giants could trade down and another team could take their QB too. I dont see Browns risking losing their QB.A franchise QB when push comes to shove (if your team has decided they need one) will trump any other guy no matter how good he is.
RE: According to the source..  
section125 : 4/16/2018 8:53 am : link
In comment 13915511 1st and 10 said:
Quote:
the only thing stopping the Browns from taking Barkley at 1 is the Jets.

They do not want Darnold and Allen to go 2 and 3 as they are not high on Rosen at all due to the injuries.


Again, what is more important to the Browns, QB or RB? They have crapped the bed over the last 20 years in QB picks. They have a chance to get it right this year and then get Chubb at #4 and a very good RB at #33...
RE: RE: According to the source..  
1st and 10 : 4/16/2018 9:03 am : link
In comment 13915520 section125 said:
Quote:
In comment 13915511 1st and 10 said:


Quote:


the only thing stopping the Browns from taking Barkley at 1 is the Jets.

They do not want Darnold and Allen to go 2 and 3 as they are not high on Rosen at all due to the injuries.




Again, what is more important to the Browns, QB or RB? They have crapped the bed over the last 20 years in QB picks. They have a chance to get it right this year and then get Chubb at #4 and a very good RB at #33...


I agree with you, I think if they do this, they are nuts and I think they should value the QB over the RB.

I do think it is wise for them to explore everything to see if they can get their top 2 players.
RE: I've heard Barkley, Chubb, Nelson in that order  
AcidTest : 4/16/2018 9:05 am : link
In comment 13915475 JonC said:
Quote:
Nothing on QBs, I just have a suspicion they'll pick Darnold if he's there, and suspect the other QBs are graded below the three blue chips I mentioned.


Agreed. Darnold or Barkley, in that order. Rosen would be mildly surprising, but not stunning. Allen even more so. Mayfield would be shocking.

A trade down is possible, and what I prefer, but I don't think it would be past Denver at five, and would have to include a first round pick next year. I'd be stunned if we traded with Buffalo.

"Don't get cute."
RE: RE: According to the source..  
markky : 4/16/2018 9:12 am : link
In comment 13915520 section125 said:
Quote:
In comment 13915511 1st and 10 said:


Quote:


the only thing stopping the Browns from taking Barkley at 1 is the Jets.

They do not want Darnold and Allen to go 2 and 3 as they are not high on Rosen at all due to the injuries.




Again, what is more important to the Browns, QB or RB? They have crapped the bed over the last 20 years in QB picks. They have a chance to get it right this year and then get Chubb at #4 and a very good RB at #33...


Browns should probably take Darnold at 1 and then Rosen at 4.
I  
AcidTest : 4/16/2018 9:13 am : link
still think the Browns will take Darnold. Allen's accuracy issues are too great a risk at #1, especially for a QB starved team like the Browns.

But if the Browns do take Barkley, then they will have to trade up with the Giants to guarantee that they get Allen. The problem for the Giants is that the Jets would presumably take Darnold at three. But Rosen at #4, and a bunch of picks, might be enough for DG and Shurmur.

Less than two weeks to go.
Another scenario to look is  
mofti : 4/16/2018 9:23 am : link
What if the browns think the Bills might trade for the #2 and take Allen? So now browns take barkley, bills take allen, gets take darnold, that leaves you with either mayfield or Rosen.

Or what if Denver trades with the Giants and takes Allen with #2.

IMO, its too risky for the browns to pass up at Allen at #1 If they really feel he is the QB they want.
If this info is to believed  
twostepgiants : 4/16/2018 9:24 am : link
That Browns want QB and Barkley

And Giants dont want QB

Then isnt a Clev trade to 2 from the 4 pick very logical?

Giants still get Chubb plus draft picks. Browns have them to deal

Or

If Browns want Allen & Barkley and Giants only want Darnold

Then they should fo a reasonable trade with Giants for the 1 pick

The only scenario where this doesnt work is Browns want Darnold/Barkley and Giants want Barkley or Darnold.
If Giants want Darnold  
JonC : 4/16/2018 9:27 am : link
then the various info and mis-info has been designed for them to stay put and get him at #2.
I will make it easy for the Browns  
Essex : 4/16/2018 9:28 am : link
give us the fourth pick, give us your first pick in the second round this year and your first and third next year and you can have any two players you like
RE: I  
GFAN52 : 4/16/2018 9:29 am : link
In comment 13915544 AcidTest said:
Quote:
still think the Browns will take Darnold. Allen's accuracy issues are too great a risk at #1, especially for a QB starved team like the Browns.

But if the Browns do take Barkley, then they will have to trade up with the Giants to guarantee that they get Allen. The problem for the Giants is that the Jets would presumably take Darnold at three. But Rosen at #4, and a bunch of picks, might be enough for DG and Shurmur.

Less than two weeks to go.


Darnold is a going #1 to the Browns. Forgot the noise about Allen he's way over-hyped.
and FWIW  
Essex : 4/16/2018 9:37 am : link
I do know one high ranking NFL executive and his exact words to me is that Dorsey is a loner and keeps his cards close to the vest, so he had no idea where he was going with the pick. Take it for what it is worth (which if true means that nobody that is reporting on what the Browns are thinking has the slightest clue what they are talking about).
All this noise  
LakeGeorgeGiant : 4/16/2018 9:38 am : link
but I still expect the Giants sit tight at 2 and take the top player on their board. I also expect that there is more than one player they'd be happy with selecting at 2. Only one player will be off the board.
Pages: 1 2 | Show All |  Next>>
Back to the Corner