Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: My experience trying to lease a new car

GMAN4LIFE : 4/16/2018 1:36 pm
It was something i wanted to do on my own but i said forget it. I asked for some help from a buddy that used to work in the industry.

The car was a Honda Pilot. and it was a 2018 EX-L with NAV.(Navigation)

Their first number they threw at me was 1500 down for 600 a month for 39 months. I was like um hell no. My buddy said "dont say your number." ask them for their best offer. They came back with 1500 down(which included taxes and fees) 380 a month for 39. Would be 38 more payments as first payment was in the 1500 down. My buddy said "now you have their attention. But you can get lower and still save. Ask the Money factor and the residual number. Ask for 415 a month and zero out of pocket money". I said "screw it. give me 400 a month with no out of pocket"

The manager came out and said they couldnt and they would be losing money. The lowest they can go is 415 a month with no out of pocket. I said ok then im not interested. . Manager "do you really want to lose a deal for 500 bucks?" i said "no do you want to lose a deal for 500 bucks?"

So after calculations that my buddy did. He said to make them wait. They will go even lower if they want your business. Your credit is good but wait til the end of the month when they get desperate. So they caved again after i threatened to leave. 400 is now what they wanted. First payment right there. Basically the bottom line deal with them was no out of pocket cash.

So, this car is MSRP 41235... the residual was 27225.45 for a 39 month lease. There were no rebates or anything.

But i have to say, i almost pulled the trigger but my buddy knew how they worked. He knew they would cave because he knows the business and basically they were caving in just the car msrp. He wanted them to go lower. So we go back on the 28th.

Man this shit can be annoying but it was good i had someone with me that knows the business. And if they dont want my business i already have a deal in place with Nissan.

figure i share with you peeps
so they went from 1500 down and 600 per month  
theold5j : 4/16/2018 1:47 pm : link
right to 1500 down and 389 per month?
..  
Dodge : 4/16/2018 1:49 pm : link
How many miles per year is the lease?

That's where they get you.
opps i forgot to mention the miles... i ask for 10k a year.  
GMAN4LIFE : 4/16/2018 1:55 pm : link
no they went from 1500 down(with taxes and fees) /600 a month to 1500 (taxes, fees and 1st payment for 380.

crazy shit right?
Leasing a car is a game, you need to learn how to play.  
Keith : 4/16/2018 1:57 pm : link
First off, your first step is to get the money factor in residuals and do a google search for your car on kelly blue book message boards. You'll see what people are paying for the same car.

Once you feel like you've gotten the dealers best offer, call another dealer local and negotiate(best to search the lot and find a dealer that has the same car). Say "Dealer A just offered me X(exaggerate their offer a tad if you want), I will come sign paperwork right now if you come in at Y". It's really that simple. If the second dealer says no, you know dealer A offered a fair deal. Always play 2 dealers against each other.
RE: Leasing a car is a game, you need to learn how to play.  
GMAN4LIFE : 4/16/2018 2:03 pm : link
In comment 13916082 Keith said:
Quote:
First off, your first step is to get the money factor in residuals and do a google search for your car on kelly blue book message boards. You'll see what people are paying for the same car.

Once you feel like you've gotten the dealers best offer, call another dealer local and negotiate(best to search the lot and find a dealer that has the same car). Say "Dealer A just offered me X(exaggerate their offer a tad if you want), I will come sign paperwork right now if you come in at Y". It's really that simple. If the second dealer says no, you know dealer A offered a fair deal. Always play 2 dealers against each other.


where is the message boards as i am searching the website and cant seem to find it
Best way is to do the following  
Jim in Forest Hills : 4/16/2018 2:11 pm : link
Deal with multiple dealers
Find out the Residual and Money Factor (MF) ahead of time
Find about any lease incentives.
Negotiate the price of the car only without rebates.
Apply rebates to negotiated price.
Once you have that final price apply the Residual and the MF and you have a monthly payment.
Always go 0 down.
If you get under 1% of your purchase price you have done very well.
How many miles are you allowed?  
section125 : 4/16/2018 2:12 pm : link
That is important. And what is the overage $0.25/mile?

Crazy - $16000 to drive a car for 3.25 years and then turn it in.
God bless anyone whoís patient enough to play that game  
UConn4523 : 4/16/2018 2:18 pm : link
I donít have the time or patience for it. I have a number in mind based off of research and if I get it Iím satisfied. I know I can always push back but I canít do the song and dance.
Whether buying or leasing  
Gman11 : 4/16/2018 2:31 pm : link
Negotiating for a car is one of the biggest pains in the ass you have to endure in life.
I leased a 2014 Hyndai Santa Fe Sport  
Jints in Carolina : 4/16/2018 2:53 pm : link
and the lease is up soon. I have 32,000 miles on it and would like to just keep it. My question is, can I just continue making the payments already established with the lease to buy the car, or will have to put more money down and renegotiate?

I will be contacting my dealership soon but wanted to see what the opinion was.
RE: How many miles are you allowed?  
GMAN4LIFE : 4/16/2018 3:12 pm : link
In comment 13916110 section125 said:
Quote:
That is important. And what is the overage $0.25/mile?

Crazy - $16000 to drive a car for 3.25 years and then turn it in.


i think 12k or 15k are also allowed but i dont need that many. should i just get that for the better deal?
Youíd have to buy it for the price stated in your lease  
UConn4523 : 4/16/2018 3:13 pm : link
which would mean financing it either through the dealer or bank.
Youre in a good spot  
Young Elijah : 4/16/2018 3:14 pm : link
I just got the Infinity Qx 60 for $399 a month no money down 12K miles no Nav. So the nav washes out the extra miles I got and were in the same boat for a similar car. I did trade in a financed car (that they took for what I owed) that wiped out some taxes, so I think youre in a good place because my deal would be 15$ more a month with the tax I'd be paying - which is about fair for the Infinity to Honda drop off.
Literally just went through this with my CLA 45  
ZGiants98 : 4/16/2018 3:44 pm : link
I felt like I went off to the Vietnam War by the time it was over. In the end I got about half of what they started out with but I had to walk off like three times. They also finagled the numbers and removed rebates/changed miles... everything they could think of to make what they were offering look better. I had to scan everything with a fine toothe comb to catch what they were doing. It sucks but I still think leasing is the way to go.
RE: RE: How many miles are you allowed?  
section125 : 4/16/2018 3:44 pm : link
In comment 13916196 GMAN4LIFE said:
Quote:
In comment 13916110 section125 said:


Quote:


That is important. And what is the overage $0.25/mile?

Crazy - $16000 to drive a car for 3.25 years and then turn it in.



i think 12k or 15k are also allowed but i dont need that many. should i just get that for the better deal?


Big difference in pricing between 12K and 15K. Some leases are only 10K - that way the residual is higher and your monthly payment is less. The more miles allowed per year the more you pay.
Hard to believe your friend didn't mention this as it is important. I upped my daughter's lease from 12k to 15k and it added $20 per month to the lease. Worked out perfectly as she came in within 400 miles under the allowance at 15k per year.
RE: RE: RE: How many miles are you allowed?  
GMAN4LIFE : 4/16/2018 3:46 pm : link
In comment 13916253 section125 said:
Quote:
In comment 13916196 GMAN4LIFE said:


Quote:


In comment 13916110 section125 said:


Quote:


That is important. And what is the overage $0.25/mile?

Crazy - $16000 to drive a car for 3.25 years and then turn it in.



i think 12k or 15k are also allowed but i dont need that many. should i just get that for the better deal?



Big difference in pricing between 12K and 15K. Some leases are only 10K - that way the residual is higher and your monthly payment is less. The more miles allowed per year the more you pay.
Hard to believe your friend didn't mention this as it is important. I upped my daughter's lease from 12k to 15k and it added $20 per month to the lease. Worked out perfectly as she came in within 400 miles under the allowance at 15k per year.


he knows that but i am returning my nissan pathfinder with 20k miles as opposed to 36 miles.
Also.. a big trick I learned  
ZGiants98 : 4/16/2018 3:48 pm : link
Dealers will buy back your months towards the end of the lease. Mercedes will do at least 4 months if you turn it in early, some do up to 6. Because of this I can do 12k miles a year and never feel like Iím going to go over. I just turn my car in early when Iím getting close and Iím good.
My bad,  
Keith : 4/16/2018 3:49 pm : link
its edmunds. Also, make sure you call a 2nd dealer once you got the best offer from the first and shop it. These dealers compete against each other a ton.
Link - ( New Window )
RE: RE: RE: RE: How many miles are you allowed?  
section125 : 4/16/2018 3:54 pm : link
In comment 13916259 GMAN4LIFE said:
Quote:
In comment 13916253 section125 said:


Quote:


In comment 13916196 GMAN4LIFE said:


Quote:


In comment 13916110 section125 said:


Quote:


That is important. And what is the overage $0.25/mile?

Crazy - $16000 to drive a car for 3.25 years and then turn it in.



i think 12k or 15k are also allowed but i dont need that many. should i just get that for the better deal?



Big difference in pricing between 12K and 15K. Some leases are only 10K - that way the residual is higher and your monthly payment is less. The more miles allowed per year the more you pay.
Hard to believe your friend didn't mention this as it is important. I upped my daughter's lease from 12k to 15k and it added $20 per month to the lease. Worked out perfectly as she came in within 400 miles under the allowance at 15k per year.



he knows that but i am returning my nissan pathfinder with 20k miles as opposed to 36 miles.


Ok great, so then you can negotiate at only 10K/yr and maybe get a better rate. If you are pretty certain that you will be close to existing mileage, see what they can do for you. Might save you $15 to $20 per month....
that edmunds site is great...  
GMAN4LIFE : 4/16/2018 4:28 pm : link
they get you the money factor and residual shit
Yep,  
Keith : 4/16/2018 4:30 pm : link
and if you are lucky, there is a lot of info about peoples exact deals to compare to. Again though, you have to get another dealer involved to compete. Then, you'll truly know if its their best offer.
Find a dealer that has  
Keith : 4/16/2018 4:31 pm : link
your car on the lot though(look through the inventory). They'll be much more likely to deal on a car that they have on the lot rather than one they need to ship.
RE: Yep,  
GMAN4LIFE : 4/16/2018 4:33 pm : link
In comment 13916332 Keith said:
Quote:
and if you are lucky, there is a lot of info about peoples exact deals to compare to. Again though, you have to get another dealer involved to compete. Then, you'll truly know if its their best offer.



can i negotiate this shit over the phone? i hate going to each dealer to do this.
RE: Also.. a big trick I learned  
AnnapolisMike : 4/16/2018 5:28 pm : link
In comment 13916264 ZGiants98 said:
Quote:
Dealers will buy back your months towards the end of the lease. Mercedes will do at least 4 months if you turn it in early, some do up to 6. Because of this I can do 12k miles a year and never feel like Iím going to go over. I just turn my car in early when Iím getting close and Iím good.


That's called a pull ahead. Dealer will waive the remaining X number of payments and the lease end fee (disposition) Mercedes pull aheads are 3 or 5 months depending on vehicle coming out of and going into.
RE: How many miles are you allowed?  
AnnapolisMike : 4/16/2018 5:32 pm : link
In comment 13916110 section125 said:
Quote:
That is important. And what is the overage $0.25/mile?

Crazy - $16000 to drive a car for 3.25 years and then turn it in.


Gotta look at what the car is going to be worth 3 years down the line if you buy it. Most cars will depreciate about 45-50% over the first 3 years. You need to figure in the costs of maintenance (tires/brakes) when you look at what is the best deal.

Typically...leasing will work out better over the long run if you are one to get a new car every 3-4 years.

Leasing also is great if you are upside down in your trade.
If the residual is remotely close to the true value of the car...  
EricJ : 4/16/2018 5:34 pm : link
after 39 months, then you grossly overpaid for the vehicle.
Just curious, why lease at all ?  
Ron from Ninerland : 4/16/2018 6:29 pm : link
The only justification I can think of is if you work in a occupation where you must drive a new car. It seems you're getting screwed otherwise. Even if you'd simply like to drive a new car, isn't it better to buy one and trade it in three years ?

Another question: When you lease, do they at least throw in maintenance , repairs and tires ?
RE: RE: Yep,  
Keith : 4/16/2018 6:36 pm : link
In comment 13916338 GMAN4LIFE said:
Quote:
In comment 13916332 Keith said:


Quote:


and if you are lucky, there is a lot of info about peoples exact deals to compare to. Again though, you have to get another dealer involved to compete. Then, you'll truly know if its their best offer.




can i negotiate this shit over the phone? i hate going to each dealer to do this.


I always go in to the first dealer and negotiate face to face and when they claim they are at their best offer(I go in knowing what that number should be about), Iíll call the second dealer and give them a chance to beat it(has to be by 10-15 bucks per month). If they do(again, for a car in their lot), Iíll drive to that dealer and sign paperwork.
Itís a shitty experience,  
Keith : 4/16/2018 6:37 pm : link
but could be accomplished in a few hours.
True story from Oct 2002...  
EricJ : 4/16/2018 8:58 pm : link
Negotiated a price for a new truck from a dealer in northern NJ an hour from my home. It is Saturday morning and the dealer is waiting for me to arrive later that day to sign the papers and make the exchange.

I see a different truck online at a dealer that is half the distance from where I am in Monmouth County. The wife and kids are getting ready to leave the house with me to go get the truck. I call this other dealer and tell him this..

I am leaving the house now to go pickup a truck in northern NJ. I see you have this other truck on your lot. I am willing to pay $X for it out the door but I am not coming in to talk about it. You have about 30 min to call me back and let me know if we have a deal. Once I pass your exit on the highway I am not turning around. Gave the guy my cell phone # and we started driving north.

He called me back 15 min later and said you have a deal. Got off at his exit, walked in and bought the truck for the price I wanted.
RE: True story from Oct 2002...  
section125 : 4/16/2018 10:08 pm : link
In comment 13916680 EricJ said:
Quote:
Negotiated a price for a new truck from a dealer in northern NJ an hour from my home. It is Saturday morning and the dealer is waiting for me to arrive later that day to sign the papers and make the exchange.

I see a different truck online at a dealer that is half the distance from where I am in Monmouth County. The wife and kids are getting ready to leave the house with me to go get the truck. I call this other dealer and tell him this..

I am leaving the house now to go pickup a truck in northern NJ. I see you have this other truck on your lot. I am willing to pay $X for it out the door but I am not coming in to talk about it. You have about 30 min to call me back and let me know if we have a deal. Once I pass your exit on the highway I am not turning around. Gave the guy my cell phone # and we started driving north.

He called me back 15 min later and said you have a deal. Got off at his exit, walked in and bought the truck for the price I wanted.


What did you tell the other guy that was waiting for you up North or did you buy his and hers...?
RE: RE: True story from Oct 2002...  
EricJ : 4/16/2018 10:23 pm : link
In comment 13916837 section125 said:
Quote:
In comment 13916680 EricJ said:


Quote:


Negotiated a price for a new truck from a dealer in northern NJ an hour from my home. It is Saturday morning and the dealer is waiting for me to arrive later that day to sign the papers and make the exchange.

I see a different truck online at a dealer that is half the distance from where I am in Monmouth County. The wife and kids are getting ready to leave the house with me to go get the truck. I call this other dealer and tell him this..

I am leaving the house now to go pickup a truck in northern NJ. I see you have this other truck on your lot. I am willing to pay $X for it out the door but I am not coming in to talk about it. You have about 30 min to call me back and let me know if we have a deal. Once I pass your exit on the highway I am not turning around. Gave the guy my cell phone # and we started driving north.

He called me back 15 min later and said you have a deal. Got off at his exit, walked in and bought the truck for the price I wanted.



What did you tell the other guy that was waiting for you up North or did you buy his and hers...?


Called that other dealer and just told the guy I changed my mind. They probably hear that every day.
ok i need someone to explain the below to me as if i were 2  
GMAN4LIFE : 4/17/2018 9:16 am : link
here is the response from the edmunds forum:

I posted this question:
Can I please get MF, resid % and any Incentives

New Jersey
10k/ 36 Months or 39 months

EX-L w/ NAV
Touring AWD
Elite AWD


Quote:



Response:
.00159 MF
$800 incentive
No 10K available from Honda - 36/12 residuals are 60%/58%/57% residual, respectively
Subtract 2% for 39/12


I responded back with the paramus dealership offered 10k. The person responded
Quote:
In the Tri-State area, it seems Honda offers 10K/yr.
Subtract 1% from the 12K/yr residual.

Doubtful that you'll get the lower money factor on 39 months... better stick with 36

Miles per year on leasing  
gmenrule : 4/17/2018 10:23 am : link
is in the stoneage. 5-8 years ago the average miles driven per year was 15,000 (18K for a man and 12K for a woman). Who wants a car that you can't drive ? The whole leasing thing is a game most people will lose. For me, if I knew I had a good deal, I would still walk away if they said 10K miles per year. I'd want 15K and perhaps settle for 12K minimum. Dealers want their cake and to eat it to.
Look for a calculator online  
Keith : 4/17/2018 10:26 am : link
and plug in those numbers.
after seeing one dealer, im trying to do deals over the phone  
GMAN4LIFE : 4/17/2018 1:34 pm : link
but the dealers dont want to talk over the phone and want me to come in. arrgghhh so annoying
Yep, they'll always try to get you in. I told you what you need to do.  
Keith : 4/17/2018 1:40 pm : link
Once you deal with dealer A and you think you got your price, then you call dealer B, but ready to sign paperwork. For example, here is what I do....

Dealer A makes me a final offer of $0 down and $400 per month. I tell them that I need to call my wife, I'll let you know today one way or the other.

I then call Dealer B and ask for sales. I say to the guy, listen, I've already been through the motions and I know what I want. You have a car on your lot(give them the specific car you are calling about) and I don't think dealer A is giving me their best deal. They offered me $0 down and $390 a month(please notice I didn't tell them the exact deal). If you can beat that, I will come in right now and sign the paperwork, I'm only 10 minutes away.

Dealer B will then go to his manager and call you right back with an answer. It's that simple.
Car buying can be frustrating or fun  
Shecky : 4/17/2018 1:44 pm : link
Depends on how you look at it. Usually the people who find it frustrating just want a fair price for the car and donít enjoy negotiating the deal. In those cases, hire a car buyer or use a car buying program like Costco, trueCar etc. youíll get the car you want with zero hassle. And the satisfaction of knowing someone else isnít driving the exact same car as you but payed $5k less.

Personally, I enjoy the game. Dealership has zero power. They have the car I want, but itís a commodity that several other dealerships have as well. Plus other dealers have competing models. I know the exact car I want. I know the exact price I am willing to pay for it. If financing it, I know the rate Iím going to get or less. And if trading in, I know the minimum value I will get when getting rid of my car.

As long as you know you are the one in control, know what you want, and need the car yesterday - what leverage does the dealership have over you?
RE: Yep, they'll always try to get you in. I told you what you need to do.  
GMAN4LIFE : 4/17/2018 2:01 pm : link
In comment 13917557 Keith said:
Quote:
Once you deal with dealer A and you think you got your price, then you call dealer B, but ready to sign paperwork. For example, here is what I do....

Dealer A makes me a final offer of $0 down and $400 per month. I tell them that I need to call my wife, I'll let you know today one way or the other.

I then call Dealer B and ask for sales. I say to the guy, listen, I've already been through the motions and I know what I want. You have a car on your lot(give them the specific car you are calling about) and I don't think dealer A is giving me their best deal. They offered me $0 down and $390 a month(please notice I didn't tell them the exact deal). If you can beat that, I will come in right now and sign the paperwork, I'm only 10 minutes away.

Dealer B will then go to his manager and call you right back with an answer. It's that simple.


gotcha... will play hardball with these cocks.
Yep,  
Keith : 4/17/2018 2:13 pm : link
gotta play the game. They will screw you any chance they can get, so give it back to them.
RE: Yep,  
EricJ : 4/17/2018 2:27 pm : link
In comment 13917628 Keith said:
Quote:
gotta play the game. They will screw you any chance they can get, so give it back to them.


The best way to make sure this happens is to do the following..
1. Be indifferent as to whether you buy a car or not.
2. Never let your enthusiasm to have a particular car force you into a bad decision.
3. Do your homework.
4. Always leave the building when they think they have you.
5. Before walking into a dealer, get a meal and take a leak.
6. Negotiate a price that is "all in" or "out the door" with all fees including DMV factored in.
RE: Car buying can be frustrating or fun  
mitch300 : 4/17/2018 2:55 pm : link
In comment 13917567 Shecky said:
Quote:
Depends on how you look at it. Usually the people who find it frustrating just want a fair price for the car and donít enjoy negotiating the deal. In those cases, hire a car buyer or use a car buying program like Costco, trueCar etc. youíll get the car you want with zero hassle. And the satisfaction of knowing someone else isnít driving the exact same car as you but payed $5k less.

Personally, I enjoy the game. Dealership has zero power. They have the car I want, but itís a commodity that several other dealerships have as well. Plus other dealers have competing models. I know the exact car I want. I know the exact price I am willing to pay for it. If financing it, I know the rate Iím going to get or less. And if trading in, I know the minimum value I will get when getting rid of my car.

As long as you know you are the one in control, know what you want, and need the car yesterday - what leverage does the dealership have over you?


I did the Costco program. Very happy with it.
RE: RE: Yep,  
Keith : 4/17/2018 2:57 pm : link
In comment 13917654 EricJ said:
Quote:
In comment 13917628 Keith said:


Quote:


gotta play the game. They will screw you any chance they can get, so give it back to them.



The best way to make sure this happens is to do the following..
1. Be indifferent as to whether you buy a car or not.
2. Never let your enthusiasm to have a particular car force you into a bad decision.
3. Do your homework.
4. Always leave the building when they think they have you.
5. Before walking into a dealer, get a meal and take a leak.
6. Negotiate a price that is "all in" or "out the door" with all fees including DMV factored in.


#4 is huge. As soon as they say they are at their best offer and you say, ok well thanks for your time. You are gonna see their manager jump up and somehow work out a better deal.
One huge piece to keep in mind  
Shecky : 4/17/2018 3:07 pm : link
No matter what advice you get, remember you are playing THEIR game. Never, EVER go in thinking you have a chance to ďwinĒ.

You are playing their game - a game you might play 5-10 times in your entire life. The salesman probably plays the game 5-10 times per DAY. No matter what you do, or advice youíve been given, theyíve already experienced people like you thousands of times.

So remember it is isnít a game. You canít win. Find the car you want, at a price you want at a finance rate you want. First dealer that meets or beats it, gets your business.
im trying to lease but yeah i know...  
GMAN4LIFE : 4/17/2018 3:11 pm : link
i will do my best to keep costs down
Untrue,  
Keith : 4/17/2018 3:24 pm : link
you can win if you do your homework. You should know a ballpark for the specific car you want and then once you pin a dealer against a rival, you'll win.
RE: One huge piece to keep in mind  
Jim in Forest Hills : 4/17/2018 3:39 pm : link
In comment 13917710 Shecky said:
Quote:
No matter what advice you get, remember you are playing THEIR game. Never, EVER go in thinking you have a chance to ďwinĒ.

You are playing their game - a game you might play 5-10 times in your entire life. The salesman probably plays the game 5-10 times per DAY. No matter what you do, or advice youíve been given, theyíve already experienced people like you thousands of times.

So remember it is isnít a game. You canít win. Find the car you want, at a price you want at a finance rate you want. First dealer that meets or beats it, gets your business.


Sorry, but this is old news. The internet has broken their game. You may not want to find the right deal (some on the thread have already said its too much headache) and thats fine, but you can absolutely win at the dealership. I have seen $300/month leases for $50000 cars. For 0 down.
RE: im trying to lease but yeah i know...  
EricJ : 4/17/2018 5:19 pm : link
In comment 13917717 GMAN4LIFE said:
Quote:
i will do my best to keep costs down


Negotiate the price of the car first with the lease. Then, check out your total lease payments including any money down. If your negotiated vehicle price minus your total lease payments is less than the residual value they are calculating... then red flags should be going up.
Yeah, do your homework, get your number  
Stan in LA : 4/18/2018 1:44 pm : link
And stick to it. My last car I leased I told the guy the payment had to have this number in front of it. He couldn't do it and played the old game with the manager coming in with the dealer invoice etc. etc. I came back with holdback, dealer incentives, etc.etc.

I got my number with a lot of 999's in the back, but I was happy. But sitting there for a few hours was not fun at all.
I love reading about the negotiation  
Essex : 4/18/2018 2:02 pm : link
I will never forget when I got my license, my dad was kind enough to buy me a car. So, we go to the dealership and he was buying it (not leasing it), and they were negotiating back and forth etc etc. The sales manager could obviously see that I really wanted the car ( it was a new car, but last year's model with all the things loaded so it was not like I could find this car anywhere or at least I thought and to get the current year version was over the budget my dad allowed for me). My dad and him kept negotiating back and forth to the point where they were arguing over what I thought, being the spoiled brat that I was, inconsequential sums. Finally, the salesman comes out of the manager's office for like the 15th time with the invoice ripped up and says to my dad, "I can't do this deal. I am sorry, we are going to have part ways on this one" My dad said thank you and said to me "let's go." Me being the spoiled pos that I was when I was 16 pulled a tantrum and screamed "Dad, but you have to get it!" My dad, being the nice man that he is, saw that I really wanted it and caved and told the guy that he would do the deal at the dealer's last price. However, I will never forget when we got into the car to go home, he told me "Dummy, didn't you know he ripped up the invoice because he knew exactly how you would react. You didn't disappoint him."
Back to the Corner