Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Optimism thread: What is absolute best season we could have?

Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 5/5/2018 10:45 am
Mine are based on these following premises (in order of importance):



1. Coaching is truly improved in all 3 phases.

2. Health. Always a huge wild-card. Our key guys will need to remain on the field this year and not drop like flies.

3. OL has been greatly improved and will play better in a cohesive system/offense. The 2 wild cards: Hernandez proves to be plug and play and one of Wheeler or Flowers play at least adequately at RT

4. The defense quickly adapts to a new system (the good news here is Bettcher has been called a great teacher and someone who gets guys playing at a high level very quickly in his system)

5. With the loss of JPP and DRC the talent on D is not as good as it used to be but can still be pretty high-level if a couple 'wild-cards' fall favorably our way. Some of the top ones: Eli Apple has his head back on straight and plays up to his draft position (he has flashed so it is possible), Zo Carter and or one of the drafted DLs can make an immediate impact as a pass rusher to make up for JPPs loss, and we find a suprise nickel corner who emerges from the bunch on the roster (or we bring back DRC).

6. The rumors of Eli's demise have been greatly exaggerated. There was a stat about Eli's 'tight window' throws last year were still very high level and there is still plenty of velocity on his ball. A new system with probably the best QB friendly HC we have ever had could very likely rejuvenate his game.


If the majority of these things fall our way, and I don't think any are un-realistic or out of the realm of possibility, I could see a 10+ win season and a possible strong playoff run.

Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
19-0 and  
section125 : 5/5/2018 1:56 pm : link
Super Bowl Champs....

Realistic best 9-7 possible WC berth.
Look at it this way  
DennyInDenville : 5/5/2018 2:00 pm : link
Conservatively this is How much better we are

OL: 2.5 wins better
WR: 1 win better (assuming OBJ is back)
TE: Even
RB: 2 wins better
QB: 1 win better (with all the help)

Kicker and punter hopefully another 1.5 wins.. but for now. Even at 0

DL 0.5 wins better, imo more fat and depth
LBs 1 win better or more
Safety's .5 win better, that safety from the dolphins will end up helping a lot
CBs negative 2 wins worse imo , no depth

Coaching , 3 wins better


So we should win 13 games total or more including postseason
RE: RE: Well if I知 being specific about my feelings  
chopperhatch : 5/5/2018 2:10 pm : link
In comment 13955362 Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx said:
Quote:
In comment 13955337 GoDeep13 said:


Quote:


I think, barring injuries, that we could have a 11-5 record.

Saquon Barkley - 1,200 Rush yards, 600yrds rec. 15 TDS

OBJ - 93 catches, 1,150 yards 11 TDS

Shep - 71 catches 850 yards 7TDs

EE - 68 catches - 750 yards 6 TDS

Eli - 3, 500 yards 28 TDS 13 INTs





That kind of O production would be pretty sweet.


Lmao, and laughably unrealistic! But hey, its always cool to dream.
Well, considering the GM and head coach  
Dave in Hoboken : 5/5/2018 2:14 pm : link
said we're ready to win now, I'm expecting a deep playoff run each of these next 2 seasons at minimum. Definitely have to win a SB in one of these years.
RE: RE: Well if I知 being specific about my feelings  
Jimmy Googs : 5/5/2018 2:14 pm : link
In comment 13955434 BestFeature said:
Quote:
In comment 13955337 GoDeep13 said:


Quote:


I think, barring injuries, that we could have a 11-5 record.

Saquon Barkley - 1,200 Rush yards, 600yrds rec. 15 TDS

OBJ - 93 catches, 1,150 yards 11 TDS

Shep - 71 catches 850 yards 7TDs

EE - 68 catches - 750 yards 6 TDS

Eli - 3, 500 yards 28 TDS 13 INTs





So, the total yards receiving between the rest of the roster will be 150?


No it will be more. Eli isn't the only QB...
I知 going with 11-5  
UberAlias : 5/5/2018 3:10 pm : link
Matching two seasons ago. Obviously that痴 assuming a lot of things go right. But not out of the question. The offense will be better, and coaching.
14-2...  
Milton : 5/5/2018 3:37 pm : link
...if I'm being realistic
RE: RE: RE: Well if I知 being specific about my feelings  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 5/5/2018 3:37 pm : link
In comment 13955452 chopperhatch said:
Quote:
In comment 13955362 Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx said:


Quote:


In comment 13955337 GoDeep13 said:


Quote:


I think, barring injuries, that we could have a 11-5 record.

Saquon Barkley - 1,200 Rush yards, 600yrds rec. 15 TDS

OBJ - 93 catches, 1,150 yards 11 TDS

Shep - 71 catches 850 yards 7TDs

EE - 68 catches - 750 yards 6 TDS

Eli - 3, 500 yards 28 TDS 13 INTs





That kind of O production would be pretty sweet.



Lmao, and laughably unrealistic! But hey, its always cool to dream.


Intersting you say unrealistic.
Lets break it down player by player.

What has Odell averaged over a full 16 game season? His numbers projected are actually a touch conservative.
What has Shep averaged? Again those numbers are right in line. Evan Engram he basically had those yards as a rookie.

Now Saquon. Well what did Zeke have as a rookie, how about Fournette, how about AP? What did McAffery have in receiving yards? Heck if you project rookie Dalvin Cooks numbers in a Shurmur offense over 16 games:
296ATT 1416YDS
Receving 44 CT 360 YDS
TOTAL YDS from scrimmage:1776 YDS

I dont think the yards he listed were outlandish for Barkley by any means in a Shurmur offense.

The passing yds for Eli at 3500 all of a sudden look pretty conservative too.
RE: I知 going with 11-5  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 5/5/2018 3:39 pm : link
In comment 13955518 UberAlias said:
Quote:
Matching two seasons ago. Obviously that痴 assuming a lot of things go right. But not out of the question. The offense will be better, and coaching.


I dont think that is unrealistic at all provided good health to our key players.
We open with the Jags  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 5/5/2018 3:42 pm : link
But a Pitts offensive scheme led by their really good OC rung up 42 pts on them in the playoffs.

We have talent that matches theirs now. Now Im not saying 42 pts and the team has to gel but if think the 2 year streak of not scoring 30 points under Mac goes by the wayside early this season.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Well if I知 being specific about my feelings  
chopperhatch : 5/5/2018 3:55 pm : link
In comment 13955547 Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx said:
Quote:
In comment 13955452 chopperhatch said:


Quote:


In comment 13955362 Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx said:


Quote:


In comment 13955337 GoDeep13 said:


Quote:


I think, barring injuries, that we could have a 11-5 record.

Saquon Barkley - 1,200 Rush yards, 600yrds rec. 15 TDS

OBJ - 93 catches, 1,150 yards 11 TDS

Shep - 71 catches 850 yards 7TDs

EE - 68 catches - 750 yards 6 TDS

Eli - 3, 500 yards 28 TDS 13 INTs





That kind of O production would be pretty sweet.



Lmao, and laughably unrealistic! But hey, its always cool to dream.



Intersting you say unrealistic.
Lets break it down player by player.

What has Odell averaged over a full 16 game season? His numbers projected are actually a touch conservative.
What has Shep averaged? Again those numbers are right in line. Evan Engram he basically had those yards as a rookie.

Now Saquon. Well what did Zeke have as a rookie, how about Fournette, how about AP? What did McAffery have in receiving yards? Heck if you project rookie Dalvin Cooks numbers in a Shurmur offense over 16 games:
296ATT 1416YDS
Receving 44 CT 360 YDS
TOTAL YDS from scrimmage:1776 YDS

I dont think the yards he listed were outlandish for Barkley by any means in a Shurmur offense.

The passing yds for Eli at 3500 all of a sudden look pretty conservative too.


What youre not factoring in is that both Shep and Engram will probably both have their production cut,possibly significantly, with Beckham coming back and Barkley getting the numbers youre forecasting. Lastly, in order for the players to put up totals like that, I would think the defense would have to be top 7 in the league in order to have the offense on the field that much. Like maybe 2016 good...so
I predict 9-7 or 10-6  
BigBlue4You09 : 5/5/2018 3:56 pm : link
Not unrealistic to get back close to two years ago.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Well if I知 being specific about my feelings  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 5/5/2018 4:03 pm : link
In comment 13955565 chopperhatch said:
Quote:
In comment 13955547 Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx said:


Quote:


In comment 13955452 chopperhatch said:


Quote:


In comment 13955362 Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx said:


Quote:


In comment 13955337 GoDeep13 said:


Quote:


I think, barring injuries, that we could have a 11-5 record.

Saquon Barkley - 1,200 Rush yards, 600yrds rec. 15 TDS

OBJ - 93 catches, 1,150 yards 11 TDS

Shep - 71 catches 850 yards 7TDs

EE - 68 catches - 750 yards 6 TDS

Eli - 3, 500 yards 28 TDS 13 INTs





That kind of O production would be pretty sweet.



Lmao, and laughably unrealistic! But hey, its always cool to dream.



Intersting you say unrealistic.
Lets break it down player by player.

What has Odell averaged over a full 16 game season? His numbers projected are actually a touch conservative.
What has Shep averaged? Again those numbers are right in line. Evan Engram he basically had those yards as a rookie.

Now Saquon. Well what did Zeke have as a rookie, how about Fournette, how about AP? What did McAffery have in receiving yards? Heck if you project rookie Dalvin Cooks numbers in a Shurmur offense over 16 games:
296ATT 1416YDS
Receving 44 CT 360 YDS
TOTAL YDS from scrimmage:1776 YDS

I dont think the yards he listed were outlandish for Barkley by any means in a Shurmur offense.

The passing yds for Eli at 3500 all of a sudden look pretty conservative too.



What youre not factoring in is that both Shep and Engram will probably both have their production cut,possibly significantly, with Beckham coming back and Barkley getting the numbers youre forecasting. Lastly, in order for the players to put up totals like that, I would think the defense would have to be top 7 in the league in order to have the offense on the field that much. Like maybe 2016 good...so


Drives will go alot longer than they used to under Mac
RE: We open with the Jags  
Diver_Down : 5/5/2018 4:08 pm : link
In comment 13955556 Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx said:
Quote:
But a Pitts offensive scheme led by their really good OC rung up 42 pts on them in the playoffs.

We have talent that matches theirs now. Now Im not saying 42 pts and the team has to gel but if think the 2 year streak of not scoring 30 points under Mac goes by the wayside early this season.


Looking at the point total is one thing, but when you realize how Pitt scored on 14 of the points, you'll temper your enthusiasm. 2 of their touchdowns came off 4th down and forever where with blown coverage/excellent passes.

I think Jax will be a good test for both sides. Assume that both sides are completely healthy. I would give the conditioning edge to Jax. Doug will have his team working in the heat/humidity of Florida like last year. Their defensive front will be a challenge for our revamped OL. Ramsay will matchup against OBJ. Our run D gets a healthy Fournette to stop with their OL getting better with Norwell.

It might be proverbial grudge match with special teams deciding it. The deciding edge would have to go to Jax as Lambo can kick it from 60 yards out.

With the overall Jax/Giants record sitting at .500, I don't see any favorite.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Well if I知 being specific about my feelings  
chopperhatch : 5/5/2018 4:34 pm : link
In comment 13955572 Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx said:
Quote:
In comment 13955565 chopperhatch said:


Quote:


In comment 13955547 Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx said:


Quote:


In comment 13955452 chopperhatch said:


Quote:


In comment 13955362 Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx said:


Quote:


In comment 13955337 GoDeep13 said:


Quote:


I think, barring injuries, that we could have a 11-5 record.

Saquon Barkley - 1,200 Rush yards, 600yrds rec. 15 TDS

OBJ - 93 catches, 1,150 yards 11 TDS

Shep - 71 catches 850 yards 7TDs

EE - 68 catches - 750 yards 6 TDS

Eli - 3, 500 yards 28 TDS 13 INTs





That kind of O production would be pretty sweet.



Lmao, and laughably unrealistic! But hey, its always cool to dream.



Intersting you say unrealistic.
Lets break it down player by player.

What has Odell averaged over a full 16 game season? His numbers projected are actually a touch conservative.
What has Shep averaged? Again those numbers are right in line. Evan Engram he basically had those yards as a rookie.

Now Saquon. Well what did Zeke have as a rookie, how about Fournette, how about AP? What did McAffery have in receiving yards? Heck if you project rookie Dalvin Cooks numbers in a Shurmur offense over 16 games:
296ATT 1416YDS
Receving 44 CT 360 YDS
TOTAL YDS from scrimmage:1776 YDS

I dont think the yards he listed were outlandish for Barkley by any means in a Shurmur offense.

The passing yds for Eli at 3500 all of a sudden look pretty conservative too.



What youre not factoring in is that both Shep and Engram will probably both have their production cut,possibly significantly, with Beckham coming back and Barkley getting the numbers youre forecasting. Lastly, in order for the players to put up totals like that, I would think the defense would have to be top 7 in the league in order to have the offense on the field that much. Like maybe 2016 good...so



Drives will go alot longer than they used to under Mac


As I said, wildly optimistic outlook. For a team that finished 31st in points, 21st in yards and really didnt add much in the area of greatest concern. Shurmur would have to be a genius to get production like that. But hey, the Rams did it. Though it was a very flukey turnaround.
I think Trainmaster is on point.  
Jim in Forest Hills : 5/5/2018 5:33 pm : link
8 and 8, +-2.

+ if healthy
- if not
The offense should be 20 times better  
NikkiMac : 5/5/2018 5:37 pm : link
and not only because of the talent, the last HC did not know how to disguise the offense, I believe this HC and coaching staff will be night and day when it comes to disguise Macadoo scheme was bullshit......
RE: The offense should be 20 times better  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 5/5/2018 5:45 pm : link
In comment 13955620 NikkiMac said:
Quote:
and not only because of the talent, the last HC did not know how to disguise the offense, I believe this HC and coaching staff will be night and day when it comes to disguise Macadoo scheme was bullshit......


On coaching alone it should be magnitudes better and thats not even counting the addition of Barkley and Hernandez
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Well if I知 being specific about my feelings  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 5/5/2018 5:47 pm : link
In comment 13955585 chopperhatch said:
Quote:
In comment 13955572 Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx said:


Quote:


In comment 13955565 chopperhatch said:


Quote:


In comment 13955547 Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx said:


Quote:


In comment 13955452 chopperhatch said:


Quote:


In comment 13955362 Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx said:


Quote:


In comment 13955337 GoDeep13 said:


Quote:


I think, barring injuries, that we could have a 11-5 record.

Saquon Barkley - 1,200 Rush yards, 600yrds rec. 15 TDS

OBJ - 93 catches, 1,150 yards 11 TDS

Shep - 71 catches 850 yards 7TDs

EE - 68 catches - 750 yards 6 TDS

Eli - 3, 500 yards 28 TDS 13 INTs





That kind of O production would be pretty sweet.



Lmao, and laughably unrealistic! But hey, its always cool to dream.



Intersting you say unrealistic.
Lets break it down player by player.

What has Odell averaged over a full 16 game season? His numbers projected are actually a touch conservative.
What has Shep averaged? Again those numbers are right in line. Evan Engram he basically had those yards as a rookie.

Now Saquon. Well what did Zeke have as a rookie, how about Fournette, how about AP? What did McAffery have in receiving yards? Heck if you project rookie Dalvin Cooks numbers in a Shurmur offense over 16 games:
296ATT 1416YDS
Receving 44 CT 360 YDS
TOTAL YDS from scrimmage:1776 YDS

I dont think the yards he listed were outlandish for Barkley by any means in a Shurmur offense.

The passing yds for Eli at 3500 all of a sudden look pretty conservative too.



What youre not factoring in is that both Shep and Engram will probably both have their production cut,possibly significantly, with Beckham coming back and Barkley getting the numbers youre forecasting. Lastly, in order for the players to put up totals like that, I would think the defense would have to be top 7 in the league in order to have the offense on the field that much. Like maybe 2016 good...so



Drives will go alot longer than they used to under Mac



As I said, wildly optimistic outlook. For a team that finished 31st in points, 21st in yards and really didnt add much in the area of greatest concern. Shurmur would have to be a genius to get production like that. But hey, the Rams did it. Though it was a very flukey turnaround.


Not flukey. Good coaching and good system does wonders for a teams execution and subsequent performance
Lol,  
chopperhatch : 5/5/2018 5:51 pm : link
Whatever you say.
If Eli stay's healthy well team health in general .  
Bluesbreaker : 5/5/2018 6:05 pm : link
I think 10-6 is a possibility .
Much will depend on how fast the defense comes together and
if we can stop the run . Is there enough pass rush I like
the additions but were transforming as well .
New HC, New OC, New DC, New STC  
BlackLight : 5/5/2018 6:10 pm : link
It might take awhile for things to jell. We might only finish at 8-8, but after a slow start.
RE: RE: Well if I知 being specific about my feelings  
GoDeep13 : 5/5/2018 6:36 pm : link
In comment 13955434 BestFeature said:
Quote:
In comment 13955337 GoDeep13 said:


Quote:


I think, barring injuries, that we could have a 11-5 record.

Saquon Barkley - 1,200 Rush yards, 600yrds rec. 15 TDS

OBJ - 93 catches, 1,150 yards 11 TDS

Shep - 71 catches 850 yards 7TDs

EE - 68 catches - 750 yards 6 TDS

Eli - 3, 500 yards 28 TDS 13 INTs





So, the total yards receiving between the rest of the roster will be 150?
where are you getting 150?
RE: RE: RE: Well if I知 being specific about my feelings  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 5/5/2018 7:22 pm : link
In comment 13955655 GoDeep13 said:
Quote:
In comment 13955434 BestFeature said:


Quote:


In comment 13955337 GoDeep13 said:


Quote:


I think, barring injuries, that we could have a 11-5 record.

Saquon Barkley - 1,200 Rush yards, 600yrds rec. 15 TDS

OBJ - 93 catches, 1,150 yards 11 TDS

Shep - 71 catches 850 yards 7TDs

EE - 68 catches - 750 yards 6 TDS

Eli - 3, 500 yards 28 TDS 13 INTs





So, the total yards receiving between the rest of the roster will be 150?

where are you getting 150?


Do the math.
All I know is I am excited for this season.  
Boy Cord : 5/5/2018 9:54 pm : link
And that says a lot coming off 3-13 and the Eagles.
We are winning the Super Bowl  
bradshaw44 : 5/5/2018 10:01 pm : link
Eli will shut everyone up. Except BBI. He will only have won because of Barkley and if we had drafted another qb we would have won the super bowl sooner. 🤨
RE: RE: RE: RE: Well if I知 being specific about my feelings  
GoDeep13 : 5/5/2018 10:12 pm : link
In comment 13955683 Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx said:
Quote:
In comment 13955655 GoDeep13 said:


Quote:


In comment 13955434 BestFeature said:


Quote:


In comment 13955337 GoDeep13 said:


Quote:


I think, barring injuries, that we could have a 11-5 record.

Saquon Barkley - 1,200 Rush yards, 600yrds rec. 15 TDS

OBJ - 93 catches, 1,150 yards 11 TDS

Shep - 71 catches 850 yards 7TDs

EE - 68 catches - 750 yards 6 TDS

Eli - 3, 500 yards 28 TDS 13 INTs





So, the total yards receiving between the rest of the roster will be 150?

where are you getting 150?



Do the math.


600 + 1,150 + 850 + 750 = 2,750

3,500 - 2,750 = 750.

750 left for the other options.
Put new batteries  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 5/5/2018 10:24 pm : link
In your calculator ;)
I still believe in Eli (nothing new there). As I致e said of late,  
Big Blue '56 : 5/6/2018 6:51 am : link
and as a disclaimer, my ONLY concern now that he値l most likely have a decent OL and incredible tools to work with, is if his PTSD from the last bunch of years lingers, he痴 toast. Done.

So I値l presume he値l be emotionally ok and not gunshy. If so, who TF is going to stop us consistently? I also love what Bettcher did with the Cards and how he changes things up almost constantly.

I don稚 care who has improved and who we have to contend with. This team with reasonably good health can and will contend with anyone, imo. This parity league has complete record reversals almost every year.



Yes, the Giants will be unstoppable  
Jimmy Googs : 5/6/2018 7:19 am : link
and after we win the SB, we can challenge the Klingons for interstellar domination...
RE: I still believe in Eli (nothing new there). As I致e said of late,  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 5/6/2018 8:59 am : link
In comment 13955865 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
and as a disclaimer, my ONLY concern now that he値l most likely have a decent OL and incredible tools to work with, is if his PTSD from the last bunch of years lingers, he痴 toast. Done.

So I値l presume he値l be emotionally ok and not gunshy. If so, who TF is going to stop us consistently? I also love what Bettcher did with the Cards and how he changes things up almost constantly.

I don稚 care who has improved and who we have to contend with. This team with reasonably good health can and will contend with anyone, imo. This parity league has complete record reversals almost every year.




Faith in a better offensive system and a coach that actually beleives in him will be huge. I expect a big turnaround from Easy E
NFC East  
royhobbs7 : 5/6/2018 10:07 am : link
The last team to win consecutive years in the NFL East was the 2003-4 Eagles. The division is the toughest in the NFL to repeat.
Are the Eagles that good that they could repeat in 2018?
Perhaps, but if not, who is going to be "King-of-The-Hill"?
Dallas? Washington?
Does Dallas have the talent to reemerge as the division winner? They have a weakest passing game in the division. Their defense has improved. But their secondary is still mediocre.
The Redskins? Their passing offense was good (the change to Smith this year will probably help slightly); rushing offense and defense was the worst in the division last year (their running game was even worse than ours).
So, is it the Eagles again, or are we improved enough to go toe-to-toe with them? The Eagles were near the top in all of the offensive and defensive categories.
Maybe they'll repeat? But if they don't (e.g., have more injuries at key positions other than losing Wentz), and if our Giants stay healthy, maybe we have a chance, because we're not far off from having more talent than both the Cowboys and the Redskins.

If Paul Perkins starts the 1st 5 games gain  
BluesCruise : 5/6/2018 10:13 am : link
you are looking at an upside of 4-12
RE: NFC East  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 5/6/2018 10:14 am : link
In comment 13955943 royhobbs7 said:
Quote:
The last team to win consecutive years in the NFL East was the 2003-4 Eagles. The division is the toughest in the NFL to repeat.
Are the Eagles that good that they could repeat in 2018?
Perhaps, but if not, who is going to be "King-of-The-Hill"?
Dallas? Washington?
Does Dallas have the talent to reemerge as the division winner? They have a weakest passing game in the division. Their defense has improved. But their secondary is still mediocre.
The Redskins? Their passing offense was good (the change to Smith this year will probably help slightly); rushing offense and defense was the worst in the division last year (their running game was even worse than ours).
So, is it the Eagles again, or are we improved enough to go toe-to-toe with them? The Eagles were near the top in all of the offensive and defensive categories.
Maybe they'll repeat? But if they don't (e.g., have more injuries at key positions other than losing Wentz), and if our Giants stay healthy, maybe we have a chance, because we're not far off from having more talent than both the Cowboys and the Redskins.


We already have more star talent at the premium positions than Cows and Skins.
RE: If Paul Perkins starts the 1st 5 games gain  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 5/6/2018 10:16 am : link
In comment 13955947 BluesCruise said:
Quote:
you are looking at an upside of 4-12


Are we assuming that BOTH Gallman and Barkley dont play the 1st 5 games?
Best case in my opinion is hovering at or around .500  
The_Boss : 5/6/2018 10:40 am : link
I don't think everything Gettleman has accomplished this offseason, and yes it has been a good spring, has made up the 7 wins in the standings coming off a 3-13 season to get to a "lock" playoff record of 10-6.
RE: Best case in my opinion is hovering at or around .500  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 5/6/2018 10:44 am : link
In comment 13955966 The_Boss said:
Quote:
I don't think everything Gettleman has accomplished this offseason, and yes it has been a good spring, has made up the 7 wins in the standings coming off a 3-13 season to get to a "lock" playoff record of 10-6.


There are only 2 'swing' positions that could possibly derail the season if they prove to be glaring weaknesses. RT and CB. Janoris is one of the best CBs in the game, but we will need to get at least adequate play from Eli Apple as the 2nd CB. The OL has shaped up enough that our RT will need to be just decent for us to get by, but he can't be Bobby Hart level.
I expect 7 or 8 wins.  
joe48 : 5/6/2018 11:43 am : link
The OL is still very questionable. The DL had an anemic pass rush and will be working a new scheme. Giants still have a lot of holes on the OL. It remains to be seen how well Barkley can run with no holes opening. Will Eli have protection or hear footsteps. Special teams were horrible last year and I do not see improvement at this time.
Last year we were not as bad as 3-13 but had other issues which the new HC and GM have addressed held us back.
Giants are not ready to challenge the Eagles.
Super Bowl champs, 5th Trophy in the Case.  
mittenedman : 5/6/2018 2:49 pm : link
I'm as disgusted as anyone with the last several years.

But did anyone think the Eagles were that good last year? Doug Pederson?

The NFL is wide open, the best case scenario is everything works. The Giants have made some major organizational upgrades:

*Dave Gettleman over Jerry Reese is big improvement. Rumors were Reese (and Ross) were arrogant and grew more and more lazy (and thus incompetent) over time. Gettleman turned around the Panthers quickly and made all the right moves in Giants Pro Personnel.

*Saquon Barkley. Adding one of the most talented RBs ever to the worst backfield in the NFL is a huge net gain for the Giants. Barkley will be featured in Shurmur's run heavy offense and take a massive amount of heat off Odell, and set up Shurmur's notorious play action game perfectly.

*Nate Solder over Ereck Flowers is a field-tilter. The Giants had to do all sorts of things to hide Flowers poor play at LT and he was single-handedly responsible for Eli's internal clock going wonky. (Imagine actually playing QB as a pocket passer with Flowers protecting your blindside? You have no idea what's going on behind you and if you're about to get crushed by an NFL linebacker. Solder isn't Anthony Munoz, he just provides Eli peace of mind. He is also an excellent fit in their zone running scheme, especially outside stretch plays where Barkley also excels.

*Hernandez over the joke G's on the field the last few years. The Giants had nobody on the interior that could get any push. They do now.

*Alec Ogletree over a rookie B.J. Goodson, Jonathan Casillas and any other 3-down LB they've had since Michael Boley in 2011. They got their QB of the defense.

*Getting rid of Tom Quinn, Brad Wing, Dwayne Harris from PR and the rest of a bad group and replacing them with McGaughey and a renewed commitment to special teams.

*Pat Shurmur over Ben McAdoo may be the biggest upgrade any team in the NFL made anywhere. McAdoo was that bad and ran this team into the ground. I wasn't even a huge Shurmur guy but he is a proven commodity with a proven scheme, and he'll earn the respect of the lockerroom. The Giants will be a well-coached team, that will be a HUGE difference why they could have a massive turnaround. Shurmur has the brains and experience to integrate Saquon, OBJ and Engram for maximum impact.

----------

These aren't just minor moves, these are game-changing organizational moves that should provide a significant swing in play.
RE: Super Bowl champs, 5th Trophy in the Case.  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 5/6/2018 2:52 pm : link
In comment 13956127 mittenedman said:
Quote:
I'm as disgusted as anyone with the last several years.

But did anyone think the Eagles were that good last year? Doug Pederson?

The NFL is wide open, the best case scenario is everything works. The Giants have made some major organizational upgrades:

*Dave Gettleman over Jerry Reese is big improvement. Rumors were Reese (and Ross) were arrogant and grew more and more lazy (and thus incompetent) over time. Gettleman turned around the Panthers quickly and made all the right moves in Giants Pro Personnel.

*Saquon Barkley. Adding one of the most talented RBs ever to the worst backfield in the NFL is a huge net gain for the Giants. Barkley will be featured in Shurmur's run heavy offense and take a massive amount of heat off Odell, and set up Shurmur's notorious play action game perfectly.

*Nate Solder over Ereck Flowers is a field-tilter. The Giants had to do all sorts of things to hide Flowers poor play at LT and he was single-handedly responsible for Eli's internal clock going wonky. (Imagine actually playing QB as a pocket passer with Flowers protecting your blindside? You have no idea what's going on behind you and if you're about to get crushed by an NFL linebacker. Solder isn't Anthony Munoz, he just provides Eli peace of mind. He is also an excellent fit in their zone running scheme, especially outside stretch plays where Barkley also excels.

*Hernandez over the joke G's on the field the last few years. The Giants had nobody on the interior that could get any push. They do now.

*Alec Ogletree over a rookie B.J. Goodson, Jonathan Casillas and any other 3-down LB they've had since Michael Boley in 2011. They got their QB of the defense.

*Getting rid of Tom Quinn, Brad Wing, Dwayne Harris from PR and the rest of a bad group and replacing them with McGaughey and a renewed commitment to special teams.

*Pat Shurmur over Ben McAdoo may be the biggest upgrade any team in the NFL made anywhere. McAdoo was that bad and ran this team into the ground. I wasn't even a huge Shurmur guy but he is a proven commodity with a proven scheme, and he'll earn the respect of the lockerroom. The Giants will be a well-coached team, that will be a HUGE difference why they could have a massive turnaround. Shurmur has the brains and experience to integrate Saquon, OBJ and Engram for maximum impact.

----------

These aren't just minor moves, these are game-changing organizational moves that should provide a significant swing in play.


Best post yet. Obviously any team winning a Super Bowl a bunch of things have to fall right including health. But if health works out and we find at least viable players at RT and CB (Apple? Wheeler?) there is no telling what this teams ceiling could be.
and btw? That shitty, depleted team we fielded last year?  
Big Blue '56 : 5/6/2018 3:21 pm : link
That high school team (and I知 being kind) could have/should havebeaten the Eagles twice last year. No one gave as much trouble to the Eagles than we did. Yes, all that counts is the W or the L..Just sayin
The best season any team can have is the super bowl title  
djm : 5/6/2018 3:42 pm : link
Giants included.
Worst/Best  
Giantslifer : 5/6/2018 3:45 pm : link
1-5 in division
1-3 v NFC north
2-2 v AFC North
1-1 remainder

5-11

4-2 in division (turns out dallas sucks)
1-1 vDC
1-1 vPhilly
2-0 v dallas

Rest is same.

8-8
Best season we "COULD" have  
Hades07 : 5/7/2018 9:26 am : link
is 16-0 with a Super Bowl victory.

IDK, seems the answer was fairly obvious.
RE: Well if I知 being specific about my feelings  
Knee of Theismann : 5/7/2018 5:32 pm : link
In comment 13955337 GoDeep13 said:
Quote:
I think, barring injuries, that we could have a 11-5 record.

Saquon Barkley - 1,200 Rush yards, 600yrds rec. 15 TDS

OBJ - 93 catches, 1,150 yards 11 TDS

Shep - 71 catches 850 yards 7TDs

EE - 68 catches - 750 yards 6 TDS

Eli - 3, 500 yards 28 TDS 13 INTs



I agree this is possible (in a perfect world), but the one thing I will say is I think the rest of the roster will have more than just 150 yards receiving if our stars put up this kind of production. OBJ, Barkley, Shep, and EE all performing well will make it easier for lesser-known guys like Lewis, Latimer, and Ellison to get open and make some plays here and there. If the O-Line can hold up and be half-way decent and our "Big 4" all bring their A game, I think Eli throws for over 4,000 yards and 30+ TDs.

Then, if Bettcher can even just find a way to put together an average or slightly above defense (i.e. ranked #15 or slightly better in yards and points against), then we have a real shot at grabbing a WC spot in the playoffs.

My honest (yet admittedly optimistic view) is that we will start the season 4-4, but then go 5-2 from there, leaving us with a win-and-in game against Dallas in week 17 in the Meadowlands.

RE: Worst/Best  
Knee of Theismann : 5/7/2018 5:39 pm : link
In comment 13956177 Giantslifer said:
Quote:
1-5 in division
1-3 v NFC north
2-2 v AFC North
1-1 remainder

5-11

4-2 in division (turns out dallas sucks)
1-1 vDC
1-1 vPhilly
2-0 v dallas

Rest is same.

8-8


So in both your worst and best case scenario, we go 4-6 against non-divisional opponents? That's set in stone? But we could either go 1-5 OR 4-2 in our division? That is a really strange prediction.

Non-divisional teams on our schedule, I'll divide into two groups (shitty and good) :

SHITTY:
49ers
Bucs
Texans
Colts
Bears
Titans

GOOD:
Jags
Saints
Panthers
Falcons

So even in your "best-case" scenario, we lose to all four "good teams" lose to two of the "bad teams", but then somehow we beat Dallas twice and also beat Philly?

I don't get it.
RE: RE: Worst/Best  
Knee of Theismann : 5/7/2018 5:41 pm : link
In comment 13957285 Knee of Theismann said:
Quote:
In comment 13956177 Giantslifer said:


Quote:


1-5 in division
1-3 v NFC north
2-2 v AFC North
1-1 remainder

5-11

4-2 in division (turns out dallas sucks)
1-1 vDC
1-1 vPhilly
2-0 v dallas

Rest is same.

8-8



So in both your worst and best case scenario, we go 4-6 against non-divisional opponents? That's set in stone? But we could either go 1-5 OR 4-2 in our division? That is a really strange prediction.

Non-divisional teams on our schedule, I'll divide into two groups (shitty and good) :

SHITTY:
49ers
Bucs
Texans
Colts
Bears
Titans

GOOD:
Jags
Saints
Panthers
Falcons

So even in your "best-case" scenario, we lose to all four "good teams" lose to two of the "bad teams", but then somehow we beat Dallas twice and also beat Philly?

I don't get it.


Also, we only play one NFC North team (NFC South is our full NFC division to play) and we don't play the AFC North, we play the AFC South. Why am I even wasting my time responding to you? Damn it.
RE: Well if I知 being specific about my feelings  
JOrthman : 5/7/2018 5:51 pm : link
In comment 13955337 GoDeep13 said:
Quote:
I think, barring injuries, that we could have a 11-5 record.

Saquon Barkley - 1,200 Rush yards, 600yrds rec. 15 TDS

OBJ - 93 catches, 1,150 yards 11 TDS

Shep - 71 catches 850 yards 7TDs

EE - 68 catches - 750 yards 6 TDS

Eli - 3, 500 yards 28 TDS 13 INTs



If we stay healthy or relatively healthy, then 3,500 yards is conservative for Eli.
RE: RE: We open with the Jags  
JOrthman : 5/7/2018 5:54 pm : link
In comment 13955577 Diver_Down said:
Quote:
In comment 13955556 Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx said:


Quote:


But a Pitts offensive scheme led by their really good OC rung up 42 pts on them in the playoffs.

We have talent that matches theirs now. Now Im not saying 42 pts and the team has to gel but if think the 2 year streak of not scoring 30 points under Mac goes by the wayside early this season.



Looking at the point total is one thing, but when you realize how Pitt scored on 14 of the points, you'll temper your enthusiasm. 2 of their touchdowns came off 4th down and forever where with blown coverage/excellent passes.

I think Jax will be a good test for both sides. Assume that both sides are completely healthy. I would give the conditioning edge to Jax. Doug will have his team working in the heat/humidity of Florida like last year. Their defensive front will be a challenge for our revamped OL. Ramsay will matchup against OBJ. Our run D gets a healthy Fournette to stop with their OL getting better with Norwell.

It might be proverbial grudge match with special teams deciding it. The deciding edge would have to go to Jax as Lambo can kick it from 60 yards out.

With the overall Jax/Giants record sitting at .500, I don't see any favorite.


We may have a slight advantage in that, there is no tape on this team. With this being a new coach and new system we my surprise the first two or three teams we play.
RE: RE: RE: Worst/Best  
Giantslifer : 5/7/2018 6:40 pm : link
In comment 13957286 Knee of Theismann said:
Quote:
In comment 13957285 Knee of Theismann said:


Quote:


In comment 13956177 Giantslifer said:


Quote:


1-5 in division
1-3 v NFC north
2-2 v AFC North
1-1 remainder

5-11

4-2 in division (turns out dallas sucks)
1-1 vDC
1-1 vPhilly
2-0 v dallas

Rest is same.

8-8



So in both your worst and best case scenario, we go 4-6 against non-divisional opponents? That's set in stone? But we could either go 1-5 OR 4-2 in our division? That is a really strange prediction.

Non-divisional teams on our schedule, I'll divide into two groups (shitty and good) :

SHITTY:
49ers
Bucs
Texans
Colts
Bears
Titans

GOOD:
Jags
Saints
Panthers
Falcons

So even in your "best-case" scenario, we lose to all four "good teams" lose to two of the "bad teams", but then somehow we beat Dallas twice and also beat Philly?

I don't get it.



Also, we only play one NFC North team (NFC South is our full NFC division to play) and we don't play the AFC North, we play the AFC South. Why am I even wasting my time responding to you? Damn it.


My bad. I read schedule wrong. But either way

NFC South
1-3
AFC South
2-2
NFC East
1-5( depends on dallas, some "experts" think dallas is going to regress this year)
Best case NFC East
4-2 ( because dallas implodes, split with home wins)

Worst
5-11
Best
8-8
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner