Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Scout: UDFA Nick Gates ‘third- or fourth-round grade'

Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 5/5/2018 1:00 pm

“I probably saw so many train wrecks, he was like an oasis,” Dan Shonka said of former Nebraska Cornhuskers tackle Nick Gates. “The No. 1 thing an offensive lineman has to do in the NFL is pass protect, and he can do that. And God knows we need tackles.”

If you’re wondering why Gates, who started a Huskers-record 26 straight games at left tackle, elected earlier this month to forgo his senior season to enter the NFL draft, start there. It’s simple math: Weak Tackle Class + Good Film = Opportunity.

“I’ve looked at the tackles in the country, and quantity doesn’t mean quality,” chuckled Shonka, a longtime NFL scout and now the general manager at Ourlads.com. “And the tackles out there are not very good, really. But hey, you’ve got to play with what’s there — or, rather, the NFL has got to play with them.


“He might get kicked into a guard. I’d put a third- or fourth-round grade on him.”

In other words, there’s a damn good shot that the 6-foot-5 Las Vegas native will be the first Big Red player off the board in April. In fact, the last time Shonka felt this good about a Huskers tackle was more than two years ago — and Alex Lewis worked out like gangbusters for the Baltimore Ravens.

Im high on Wheeler but Him and UDFA Evans may provide legit competition for RT and C.
Nick Gates - ( New Window )
Thanks for the article  
chopperhatch : 5/5/2018 1:21 pm : link
Know nothing about him. He and Wheeler come from big programs. Hooefully they can compete and at least one of them becomes a fixture on our line.
We need lightning to strike on the offensive line  
widmerseyebrow : 5/5/2018 1:42 pm : link
On paper we're in trouble. Hopefully Wheeler and/or Gates surprise.
RE: We need lightning to strike on the offensive line  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 5/5/2018 1:45 pm : link
In comment 13955421 widmerseyebrow said:
Quote:
On paper we're in trouble. Hopefully Wheeler and/or Gates surprise.


Actually, we are in better shape than you may think . Only RT has the potential for a glaring weakness and that's only if Wheeler disappoints. The rest of the OL is known quantities or a high draft pick (Hernandez)
RE: RE: We need lightning to strike on the offensive line  
widmerseyebrow : 5/5/2018 1:56 pm : link
In comment 13955426 Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx said:
Quote:
In comment 13955421 widmerseyebrow said:


Quote:


On paper we're in trouble. Hopefully Wheeler and/or Gates surprise.



Actually, we are in better shape than you may think . Only RT has the potential for a glaring weakness and that's only if Wheeler disappoints. The rest of the OL is known quantities or a high draft pick (Hernandez)


Jones is a known quantity. He's not a guy you want starting full time.

Omameh came from a solid line last year, but he was replaced. He's on his fourth team in 6 years in a league that is starving for offensive lineman.

I like Solder, I like that we invested early in offensive line, and even though I'm not as high on Omameh as most, I think he can be part of a good overall unit. However, I think the expectations should be tempered greatly.

This place, every offseason, has a tendency to overrate the offensive line and we've seen the results in season. "If rookie A turns out to be a solid starter." "If player B plays much better than he has ever shown in his career." Too much wishing and hoping. I've read more of that this year, perhaps because everyone just assumes Saquon will just run wild without much help.
RT  
5BowlsSoon : 5/5/2018 2:27 pm : link
So, we have three candidates:
Flowers
Wheeler
Gates

I’m sure one of them will rise up. I’m not worried.
Don t rule out  
YANKEE28 : 5/5/2018 2:51 pm : link
John Jerry at RT. We are 100 % set with Hernandez and Omameh at guard.
RE: RE: RE: We need lightning to strike on the offensive line  
chopperhatch : 5/5/2018 3:33 pm : link
In comment 13955437 widmerseyebrow said:
Quote:
In comment 13955426 Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx said:


Quote:


In comment 13955421 widmerseyebrow said:


Quote:


On paper we're in trouble. Hopefully Wheeler and/or Gates surprise.



Actually, we are in better shape than you may think . Only RT has the potential for a glaring weakness and that's only if Wheeler disappoints. The rest of the OL is known quantities or a high draft pick (Hernandez)



Jones is a known quantity. He's not a guy you want starting full time.

Omameh came from a solid line last year, but he was replaced. He's on his fourth team in 6 years in a league that is starving for offensive lineman.

I like Solder, I like that we invested early in offensive line, and even though I'm not as high on Omameh as most, I think he can be part of a good overall unit. However, I think the expectations should be tempered greatly.

This place, every offseason, has a tendency to overrate the offensive line and we've seen the results in season. "If rookie A turns out to be a solid starter." "If player B plays much better than he has ever shown in his career." Too much wishing and hoping. I've read more of that this year, perhaps because everyone just assumes Saquon will just run wild without much help.


While I understand your point, we have gotten boned pretty good in the past few years on making OL a priority in FA and the draft. It was like that every stinking year with that GM of ours that looked like an earth worm. Geoff Schwartz had a very promising year in KC but came here and was hurt all the time. I dont think anybody was particularly excited about John Jerry. Maybe a little bit from Fluker, but really thats it. I think we reached out to Mitchell Schwartz but didnt make him a very serious offer. We were blase about Whitworth too. Our draft picks have ALL been whiffs in terms of building a consistent line. Flowers, Pugh (wasnt really bad per se, just hurt and looked to cash in somewhere else), Brewer, Mosley, as well as the greatest RT in the league, Bobby Hart.

I have not gotten the impression that Giants fans have been particularly positive about our OL in about the last 5/6 years. Yes, many were more optimistic that Flowers would improve enough to lock down LT, that Fluker would improve RG somewhat and some misguided faith in Macadoo's system for Eli getting the ball out early enough to cover up warts on the line. But for the most part, BBI has been an ugly place to find positive discussions about our OL.
Also Omameh was replaced....  
chopperhatch : 5/5/2018 3:42 pm : link
....by the very best Guard on the market. My outlook for Omameh for me is very similar to what I envisioned for Geoff Schwartz....just a lot less expensive.
RE: Don t rule out  
nochance : 5/5/2018 3:42 pm : link
In comment 13955499 YANKEE28 said:
Quote:
John Jerry at RT. We are 100 % set with Hernandez and Omameh at guard.

Bite your tongue with this John Jerry stuff. He just won't go away, He is like that little doll in the Alfred Hitchcock episode with Telly Savalius where he tried to cut its head off with a table saw, tried to burn it with a blow torch, drown it and finally throw it out in a trash can. Then it came back to trip him down the stairs in his house and killed him
Jerry  
TommyWiseau : 5/5/2018 4:06 pm : link
Is not bad as a backup which he will be for us at LG and RG.
RE: Don t rule out  
Mark from Jersey : 5/5/2018 5:39 pm : link
In comment 13955499 YANKEE28 said:
Quote:
John Jerry at RT. We are 100 % set with Hernandez and Omameh at guard.
Do I have to? I really want to!

All kidding aside, JJ not a bad option as a bench guy.
The Center position is more concerning  
WillVAB : 5/5/2018 5:41 pm : link
We could be looking at zero depth or absolute shit at the position. Hopefully the Giants strike gold with the UDFA.
RE: Also Omameh was replaced....  
Milton : 5/5/2018 6:46 pm : link
In comment 13955555 chopperhatch said:
Quote:
My outlook for Omameh for me is very similar to what I envisioned for Geoff Schwartz....just a lot less expensive.
Omameh is not a lot less expensive than what Schwartz cost...
Quote:
On March 12, 2014, Schwartz signed a four-year, $16.8 million deal with $6.2 million guaranteed with the New York Giants.
Quote:
Patrick Omameh signed a 3 year, $15,000,000 contract with the New York Giants, including a $4,500,000 signing bonus, $10,050,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,000,000.
Hopefully Nick Gates  
Jay on the Island : 5/5/2018 6:51 pm : link
is an Andrew Norwell or Mike Remmers type. He might surprise with a transition to guard. He does have a solid chance of making the roster and hopefully he will beat out Jerry.
RE: Don t rule out  
RottenApple : 5/5/2018 7:54 pm : link
In comment 13955499 YANKEE28 said:
Quote:
John Jerry at RT. We are 100 % set with Hernandez and Omameh at guard.


You’re funny. But, not really. If this piece of garbage is starting at any position, there will be problems.
He better check his grading system  
short lease : 5/5/2018 8:13 pm : link
Weak Tackle class + 4th round grade = UDFA? huh?

Who signed him? He is not on the Roster ... on this site.
Jones is a known quantity. He's not a guy you want starting full time.  
Torrag : 5/6/2018 3:19 am : link
Jnes is going to be a plus starter on this line for years to come. Do yourself a favor go and watch the tapr and highlight his blocking. You'll be surprised how well he did last season surrounded by garbage.
We need Solder, Omaneh and Hernandez to be steady.  
George from PA : 5/6/2018 5:08 am : link
We need to fine a steady RT and Center....

I am hoping for steady....do your job!

Anything more would be a blessing...the roster have big guys....who is Mama? 342....
For fans who would like to welcome Nick to The Big Apple,,,  
Big Blue Blogger : 5/6/2018 8:28 am : link
...here’s a way to do it that also serves a worthy cause:
https://pledgeit.org/gates-nebraska

Now a brief rant. My dad is from Omaha. His relatives are all huge Nebraska fans. We used to get excited when the Giants drafted or signed a Husker. “You’re gonna love this guy”, “You got a steal”, blah, blah. After forty years of Larry Jacobson, Jamie Williams, Rob Zatechka, Phillip Dillard, and Prince Amukamara - punctuated by an occasional, productive domestic abuser like Christian Peter or Josh Brown - my enthusiasm has been muted.

Of course, the history has no bearing on the chances of any one player. Maybe 2018 is the year to break that particular hex.
RE: Hopefully Nick Gates  
jeff57 : 5/6/2018 8:46 am : link
In comment 13955668 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
is an Andrew Norwell or Mike Remmers type. He might surprise with a transition to guard. He does have a solid chance of making the roster and hopefully he will beat out Jerry.


Yes, from what I’ve read guard may be his future.
Is there a cap hit to cutting John Jerry?  
Jimmy Googs : 5/6/2018 8:52 am : link
...
RE: Is there a cap hit to cutting John Jerry?  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 5/6/2018 9:11 am : link
In comment 13955911 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
...


Cap savings 2.5 mill I believe. You could cut Jerry and resign DRC.
RE: Jones is a known quantity. He's not a guy you want starting full time.  
WillVAB : 5/6/2018 11:16 am : link
In comment 13955855 Torrag said:
Quote:
Jnes is going to be a plus starter on this line for years to come. Do yourself a favor go and watch the tapr and highlight his blocking. You'll be surprised how well he did last season surrounded by garbage.


I’m sure DG watched his tape and determined he’s only worth a weak one year deal.
Lance Zierlein at NFL.com was not very complimentary.  
Klaatu : 5/6/2018 11:29 am : link
But who knows? Maybe the kid will surprise.
Link - ( New Window )
RE: We need lightning to strike on the offensive line  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 5/6/2018 11:45 am : link
In comment 13955421 widmerseyebrow said:
Quote:
On paper we're in trouble. Hopefully Wheeler and/or Gates surprise.


After going through the previous regime, it seems like a lightning strike to find a gem in a late round pick or FA, but DG has a knack for finding them, especially oline men.

Fingers crossed.
WillVAB: Although you might be right about DG’s assessment of Jones...  
Big Blue Blogger : 5/6/2018 11:52 am : link
... I think you are assuming too much from his contract. Barring further developments, Jones will play 2018 for $2.914 MM on a second-round RFA tender. We don’t know whether the Giants offered a long-term deal, or whether they have continued to pursue one. With the RFA tender available, there was no urgency. If Jones got an attractive offer elsewhere, the Giants could match it or let him go for a #2 pick. Besides, $2.9MM isn’t chickenfeed.

Again, I’m not disputing your view of the player - just putting his salary in context.
Ehhhh no  
Joey in VA : 5/6/2018 12:01 pm : link
Gates was picked right where he should have been, after the draft. He's cut high and he's not a power player at all, Reese would have taken him in the 5th most likely, he likes the tall weak terrible OL.
RE: WillVAB: Although you might be right about DG’s assessment of Jones...  
WillVAB : 5/6/2018 12:08 pm : link
In comment 13956007 Big Blue Blogger said:
Quote:
... I think you are assuming too much from his contract. Barring further developments, Jones will play 2018 for $2.914 MM on a second-round RFA tender. We don’t know whether the Giants offered a long-term deal, or whether they have continued to pursue one. With the RFA tender available, there was no urgency. If Jones got an attractive offer elsewhere, the Giants could match it or let him go for a #2 pick. Besides, $2.9MM isn’t chickenfeed.

Again, I’m not disputing your view of the player - just putting his salary in context.


That’s a reasonable take but Jones turns 27 in July. If DG thought he was the goods, wouldn’t he at least try to extend him on a team friendly multi year deal? Everything screams “stopgap” to me.
DG is trying to put  
Doomster : 5/6/2018 3:54 pm : link
a viable product on the field.....While Jones may be stop gap right now, he's not playing for vet minimum....who knows, under another OL coach, he might surprise....

In a perfect world, Solder will play at his current level........Hernanadez will play adequately....Jones is Jones(maybe his play elevates with better guys to the left and right of him)....Omameh steps right in and solves the other guard position.....that leaves RT with everyone of the contenders with huge question marks.....have to hope we get lucky, and one of these guys clicks...it will be the weak link of the line, and the side that will be attacked....

If this line even resembles an almost average line, and with the weapons Eli has, he could have a huge year...under TC and Mac, the Giant offense has been held back.....it never was an offense that went for the jugular......Shurm may be the guy that does....
....  
ColHowPepper : 5/6/2018 4:10 pm : link
the Music City Bowl tape embedded in the linked piece was frightening, Bobby Hartesque, so maybe the scout linked by Klaatu is right about a move inside being in the cards.

Jones--sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. So many here are quick to write Jones off, but when he replaced Richburg, once in 2016 and again in 2017, the lines, what there were of them, became more cohesive. Yes, he lacks ideal height, weight, raw power and anchor, but he knows his assignments, is quick on pulls and traps, and surrounded by better than Pugh and Jerry, or whoever replaced Pugh (was it Halapio), I think he'll be solid enough.
RE: RE: Don t rule out  
Klaatu : 5/6/2018 6:36 pm : link
In comment 13955557 nochance said:
Quote:
In comment 13955499 YANKEE28 said:


Quote:


John Jerry at RT. We are 100 % set with Hernandez and Omameh at guard.


Bite your tongue with this John Jerry stuff. He just won't go away, He is like that little doll in the Alfred Hitchcock episode with Telly Savalius where he tried to cut its head off with a table saw, tried to burn it with a blow torch, drown it and finally throw it out in a trash can. Then it came back to trip him down the stairs in his house and killed him


The Twilight Zone, not Alfred Hitchcock.

Living Doll.
Back to the Corner