Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: NYK - David Fizdale introduction @11am

Pep22 : 5/8/2018 10:24 am
Things I'd be interested in hearing:

-his thoughts on the key young pieces (KP, FN, Burke, Troy Williams)

-style wise, does Kanter need to change his game as he required from Gasol (a point of contention)? Note: I have no expectation that EK will opt out unless they have an agreement to resign him w/ extended years.

-coaching staff

-play style

I'm expecting a lot of "fluff" because thats how these things go, but hopefully we can gain some insight.
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Perry says off court development as important as on court  
Heisenberg : 5/8/2018 11:52 am : link
developing the holistic person will increase ability on the floor.

Mills mentions Craig Robinson and how commitment to development resonated to Fiz too.

Fiz - it all connected when looking at the roster.
That's a wrap - most of it is platitudes but parts that stood out  
Heisenberg : 5/8/2018 11:58 am : link
Miami conditioning program shout out
Multiple references to Dolan committed to a no short cuts rebuild.
Very sincere (seemingly at least) commitment to player development.
Mills/Perry/Fiz all seemed to really be on the same page.

I have no idea if the product on the court is gonna work but this regime is very different than its predecessors tonally.
One major  
Phil in LA : 5/8/2018 11:59 am : link
advantage Fiz gets over the last several hires is no Coach Challenging stars like Melo. These guys should listen,
If they can draft  
elisha2014 : 5/8/2018 12:00 pm : link
Mikal Bridges 9th overall that's a great start.

Hope KOQ and Kanter opt out - play Noah at C or sign someone on the cheap.

Get KP healthy - if he misses the first 30 games so be it.

TANK TANK TANK next year - get in the top 5

Start next offseason with a healthy KP, Mikal, Frank, that top 5 pick and cap space.

that NEEDS to be the plan.
RE: I think this hire is largely insignificant  
nygiants16 : 5/8/2018 12:00 pm : link
In comment 13957905 Chris684 said:
Quote:
as would be the case with any other head coach.

Would anyone know of or care about Spoelstra if LeBron, Wade and Bosh didnt decide to all play together?

The Knicks need KP to stay healthy.
Frank to become Tony Parker.
Draft a very good player this year.
Suck again next season and try to get an even higher pick.

As a Knicks fan it's just difficult. We got excited about Donnie Walsh clearing cap space. We got excited about Amare. We got excited about Carmelo Anthony. We got excited about Phil. None of those moves led to consistent winning. It's doubtful hiring this HC does either.



Um spoelstra is one of the beat coaches in the NBa so you see the garbage roster miami has that he just coached to the playoffs
RE: RE: Weird  
giantsfan44ab : 5/8/2018 12:01 pm : link
In comment 13957911 TyreeHelmet said:
Quote:
In comment 13957843 DanMetroMan said:


Quote:


KOQ is there considering he will opt out



I really hope they sit out this years FA. Even if Kanter and KOQ opt out. Let Noah play center. Let the rookies, Frank and Burke develop and get a top 5 pick. Make sure KP is healthy and be extra cautious. Look to spend in 2019. Or keep cap flexibility moving forward- a crazy concept for the Knicks.

But this is the Knicks which means theyíll be doing the opposite of all that....


I'm fine with this strategy, but I'm also fine if they chase Randle and Randle alone if Kanter opts out. Next season plenty of teams have money again, which means the Knicks could end up overpaying a mediocre player if they miss out on the top guys. But if Lakers match or Kanter opts in, then tank away.
RE: One major  
Heisenberg : 5/8/2018 12:02 pm : link
In comment 13957944 Phil in LA said:
Quote:
advantage Fiz gets over the last several hires is no Coach Challenging stars like Melo. These guys should listen,


True. Fizdale mentioned how he had a veteran team with a closing window in MEM and he came in guns ablazing. He said this team is very different, I think he described it as a blank slate - it really is; They have no identity.
Spoelstra  
DanMetroMan : 5/8/2018 12:06 pm : link
is an excellent coach. Miami is 133-113 the last 3 seasons and go look at that roster.
Lets win  
Phil in LA : 5/8/2018 12:07 pm : link
the lottery and take Luka Doncic.
Yea that's what I'm saying  
Chris684 : 5/8/2018 12:09 pm : link
Players move the needle in the NBA. Not coaches.


The difference between here and memphis  
nygiants16 : 5/8/2018 12:11 pm : link
Memphis was an established veteran team very hard to change vets...

Here it is a bunch of young kids trying to improve, he can mold them the way he wants, he is going to progress with the team
RE: Lets win  
Anakim : 5/8/2018 12:11 pm : link
In comment 13957959 Phil in LA said:
Quote:
the lottery and take Luka Doncic.


It'll be interesting who will be the #1 pick in June. Seems like it's a three-horse race between Doncic, Ayton, and Bagley III.



I think Porter Jr. would be a very interesting option if we pick outside the top-5.
RE: Yea that's what I'm saying  
nygiants16 : 5/8/2018 12:12 pm : link
In comment 13957964 Chris684 said:
Quote:
Players move the needle in the NBA. Not coaches.



Without spoelstra no chance the heat make the playoffs...

Go look at that spurs roster and tell me they should of made the playoffs...
Spoe is a really good coach - but the first step to winning in the NBA  
Heisenberg : 5/8/2018 12:16 pm : link
is getting the best players you can. Good players will trump a good coach. I think that's the point Chris is trying to make.

To contend, you need both great players and a good coach.

Right now the Knicks can't really say they have either. Hopefully Fizdale is the latter.
RE: RE: Yea that's what I'm saying  
giantsfan44ab : 5/8/2018 12:17 pm : link
In comment 13957972 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
In comment 13957964 Chris684 said:


Quote:


Players move the needle in the NBA. Not coaches.





Without spoelstra no chance the heat make the playoffs...

Go look at that spurs roster and tell me they should of made the playoffs...


I think his point was not to make the playoffs but to contend, which I agree with. Knicks dont land at least one other all star caliber player it doesn't matter if Fizdale is as good as Spoelstra or not.
Heat made the playoffs  
dep026 : 5/8/2018 12:20 pm : link
because they were in the East. Best of the futile teams. Out West, they are a bottom team.
RE: Heat made the playoffs  
DanMetroMan : 5/8/2018 12:28 pm : link
In comment 13957982 dep026 said:
Quote:
because they were in the East. Best of the futile teams. Out West, they are a bottom team.


The Heat are 20 games over the past 3 seasons, The Knicks 60 games under. Sorry but the rosters weren't that much different.
RE: RE: Heat made the playoffs  
dep026 : 5/8/2018 12:35 pm : link
In comment 13957995 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
In comment 13957982 dep026 said:


Quote:


because they were in the East. Best of the futile teams. Out West, they are a bottom team.



The Heat are 20 games over the past 3 seasons, The Knicks 60 games under. Sorry but the rosters weren't that much different.


The Heat didnt have the Melo effect :)
RE: RE: RE: Heat made the playoffs  
giantsfan44ab : 5/8/2018 12:40 pm : link
In comment 13958004 dep026 said:
Quote:
In comment 13957995 DanMetroMan said:


Quote:


In comment 13957982 dep026 said:


Quote:


because they were in the East. Best of the futile teams. Out West, they are a bottom team.



The Heat are 20 games over the past 3 seasons, The Knicks 60 games under. Sorry but the rosters weren't that much different.



The Heat didnt have the Melo effect :)


The Heat's roster isn't even as garbage as we're making it out to be. Dragic is still an All Star. Aside from the playoffs Whiteside was still better than anyone on the knicks aside from KP. And the rest of the roster is filled with solid but not exceptional bench talent, hell of a lot deeper than the Knicks. The Heat really aren't performing too far above or below their talent level.
The  
DanMetroMan : 5/8/2018 12:44 pm : link
Heat leaders in minutes

Josh Richardson, Dragic, Waiters, Tyler Johnson, James Johnson, Ellington... again... 20 games over the last 3 seasons, the Knicks... 60 games under... not talking about a 10 game difference here.
RE: If they can draft  
81_Great_Dane : 5/8/2018 12:49 pm : link
In comment 13957945 elisha2014 said:
Quote:
Mikal Bridges 9th overall that's a great start.

Hope KOQ and Kanter opt out - play Noah at C or sign someone on the cheap.

Get KP healthy - if he misses the first 30 games so be it.

TANK TANK TANK next year - get in the top 5

Start next offseason with a healthy KP, Mikal, Frank, that top 5 pick and cap space.

that NEEDS to be the plan.
At some point, if you have a good coach, two or three young guards on the rise, a budding star in KP and an impact rookie, you're going to start winning games even if you want to tank. If you really, really want to tank, you probably have to trade KP.
RE: The  
giantsfan44ab : 5/8/2018 1:21 pm : link
In comment 13958016 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
Heat leaders in minutes

Josh Richardson, Dragic, Waiters, Tyler Johnson, James Johnson, Ellington... again... 20 games over the last 3 seasons, the Knicks... 60 games under... not talking about a 10 game difference here.


In '15-'16 The Heat had 2 All Stars, Dragic (2 years removed from an All NBA selection) and Whiteside in his breakout season and ended the season +10 wins.

And alll those players are good two way players that can space the floor on offense and are above average defenders (some really good like Johnson and Richardson). And the Knicks record reflects their talent level as well. The Knicks were -24 games this season alone where KP missed half the season.

The Knicks minutes leaders this season were Kanter, Lee, THJR, Beasley and Courtney Lee. Their respective records make perfect sense to me.
If he turns mudiay  
nygiants16 : 5/8/2018 1:41 pm : link
Into a good defender I will give him coach of the year...

Next year should be all about development of he gets these guys playing defense and improving their games I give him an A plus
RE: If he turns mudiay  
TyreeHelmet : 5/8/2018 2:51 pm : link
In comment 13958098 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
Into a good defender I will give him coach of the year...

Next year should be all about development of he gets these guys playing defense and improving their games I give him an A plus


I hope I'm wrong but I just dont see it with Mudiay. If I'm the Knicks, he would not be in my plans going forward...
RE: RE: If he turns mudiay  
nygiants16 : 5/8/2018 2:52 pm : link
In comment 13958181 TyreeHelmet said:
Quote:
In comment 13958098 nygiants16 said:


Quote:


Into a good defender I will give him coach of the year...

Next year should be all about development of he gets these guys playing defense and improving their games I give him an A plus



I hope I'm wrong but I just dont see it with Mudiay. If I'm the Knicks, he would not be in my plans going forward...


Yeah I liked mudiay coming out but he showed zero last season, I thought maybe his conditioning was down but he never really did anything...

I said though if they hit on him or burke it is a win, burke right now is looking like a win...
Knicks have enough talent to be reasonably encouraged.  
bceagle05 : 5/8/2018 2:58 pm : link
Despite the scrutiny in New York, KP and Frank are held in high regard around the league for a reason. Hardaway is decent enough. Dotson and Burke are worth developing into good role players. We'll draft another talented player in the lottery. I've been as beaten down as any Knicks fan, but this situation is far from hopeless right now. Fizdale and Perry are solid basketball men worked their way up the ladder the old fashioned way - if the two of them can keep Mills and Dolan at bay, we might have a chance.
Well, for all the talk of development  
Heisenberg : 5/8/2018 2:58 pm : link
Mudiay is a perfect candidate. You can really see there is a lot of talent there. And the athleticism and length should make for really good defensive potential.

He didn't seem super engaged last year, although that may be more appearance than reality. It has to be tough to get traded like that mid season. Maybe a full offseason with the new regime will help him.

But developing Frank,Mudiay, Dotson, Baker, Kornet, etc has to be what this organization gets good at.
no lose situation w Mudiay  
Pep22 : 5/8/2018 2:58 pm : link
1) if he continues to suck (likely scenario), he's a 3rd string PG with an insignificant contract

2) if he plays well enough to be a trade asset, then great
1 thing in favor of mudiay  
nygiants16 : 5/8/2018 3:01 pm : link
Hornaceks offense was dog shot, mudiay showed some things in the open court...

Mudiay burke and hardaway on the fast break with kp trailing could be fun..
RE: One major  
mfsd : 5/8/2018 3:22 pm : link
In comment 13957944 Phil in LA said:
Quote:
advantage Fiz gets over the last several hires is no Coach Challenging stars like Melo. These guys should listen,


Agree, especially if he wants to bring a Miami style conditioning program. Melo would have been too cool for school for that
RE: RE: If he turns mudiay  
Enzo : 5/8/2018 3:22 pm : link
In comment 13958181 TyreeHelmet said:
Quote:
In comment 13958098 nygiants16 said:


Quote:


Into a good defender I will give him coach of the year...

Next year should be all about development of he gets these guys playing defense and improving their games I give him an A plus



I hope I'm wrong but I just dont see it with Mudiay. If I'm the Knicks, he would not be in my plans going forward...

I'm with you on Mudiay. What exactly is he good at when it comes to playing basketball? He has good size and seemingly above average athleticism. Beyond that, I don't see much to work with. Admittedly I didn't see every game down the stretch and I wasn't watching him in Denver.
RE: no lose situation w Mudiay  
Enzo : 5/8/2018 3:36 pm : link
In comment 13958188 Pep22 said:
Quote:
1) if he continues to suck (likely scenario), he's a 3rd string PG with an insignificant contract

he's obviously not making cap killing money but $4.3 million isn't chump change either. Could you trade that contract into empty cap space this summer without having to attach an asset to it? Not sure...
If it really came to  
giantsfan44ab : 5/8/2018 3:46 pm : link
Mudiays contract preventing a big enough deal then you can just stretch it into obvlivion at that point.
I think that we all expect Kanter to opt in and then he and Mudiay  
Heisenberg : 5/8/2018 3:54 pm : link
would represent a nice package of expirings next season. As the cap tightens, the expiring contracts will start to regain value.
RE: I think that we all expect Kanter to opt in and then he and Mudiay  
giantsfan44ab : 5/8/2018 4:11 pm : link
In comment 13958252 Heisenberg said:
Quote:
would represent a nice package of expirings next season. As the cap tightens, the expiring contracts will start to regain value.


Kanter seems pretty confident he can land a long term deal in FA.
RE: RE: I think that we all expect Kanter to opt in and then he and Mudiay  
Heisenberg : 5/8/2018 4:13 pm : link
In comment 13958264 giantsfan44ab said:
Quote:
In comment 13958252 Heisenberg said:


Quote:


would represent a nice package of expirings next season. As the cap tightens, the expiring contracts will start to regain value.



Kanter seems pretty confident he can land a long term deal in FA.


If so, I would guess he's willing to take less per year than next year's salary if he opts in, but be guaranteed more overall?
I'm not sure what the front court depth  
bceagle05 : 5/8/2018 4:17 pm : link
is going to look like, but Kanter may not put up the same numbers next season in Fizdale's offense. Coming off a strong statistical season, he might think now is his best time to strike. We can only hope.
RE: Well, for all the talk of development  
TyreeHelmet : 5/8/2018 4:58 pm : link
In comment 13958186 Heisenberg said:
Quote:
Mudiay is a perfect candidate. You can really see there is a lot of talent there. And the athleticism and length should make for really good defensive potential.

He didn't seem super engaged last year, although that may be more appearance than reality. It has to be tough to get traded like that mid season. Maybe a full offseason with the new regime will help him.

But developing Frank,Mudiay, Dotson, Baker, Kornet, etc has to be what this organization gets good at.


From what I saw last year, I donít see a talented or athletic player. But thatís just me.

I will say the more I read and hear about Fizdale, the more I like this hire.
Mudiay  
Pep22 : 5/8/2018 5:00 pm : link
I see a less feisty/effective Lance Stephenson (not a compliment)
RE: Kanter's decision is very big tho  
djm : 5/8/2018 5:08 pm : link
In comment 13957793 Pep22 said:
Quote:
If he opts out and they redeploy the $ elsewhere, it could mean somebody like Julius Randle.

If he opts out and they have some agreement to re-up him long term, it means KP at the 4 long term.

If he opts in, its status quo for a year.


Heís opting in. Iíd bet a lot of my money on it because heís not making a lot of money if he opts out.
RE: RE: Kanter's decision is very big tho  
giantsfan44ab : 5/8/2018 5:13 pm : link
In comment 13958315 djm said:
Quote:
In comment 13957793 Pep22 said:


Quote:


If he opts out and they redeploy the $ elsewhere, it could mean somebody like Julius Randle.

If he opts out and they have some agreement to re-up him long term, it means KP at the 4 long term.

If he opts in, its status quo for a year.



Heís opting in. Iíd bet a lot of my money on it because heís not making a lot of money if he opts out.


It doesn't make sense but there's been a lot of buzz about him looking for a long term deal. I believe he switched agents as well, not entirely sure if it's related. But it is somewhat logical that there's reports that he's going to test FA after hiring his new agent. I would guess his previous agent was telling him to opt in and he probably has an inflated perception of what he can command after a career year coming off a $17M a year deal.
If Tyler Johnson can get $50 million, why would Kanter  
Ten Ton Hammer : 5/8/2018 5:55 pm : link
think he can't get paid on the open market? I'd take the chance.
RE: If Tyler Johnson can get $50 million, why would Kanter  
TyreeHelmet : 5/8/2018 6:42 pm : link
In comment 13958351 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
think he can't get paid on the open market? I'd take the chance.


Much different landscape this summer.
RE: lottery drawing is next week right?  
djm : 5/8/2018 6:46 pm : link
In comment 13957877 Enzo said:
Quote:
just want to prepare myself for the inevitable disappointment.


Just grateful the Knicks canít slide all the way down to the second round because you can bet your ass even if the chance was 1 in a million they would.

I just hope  
nygiants16 : 5/8/2018 7:13 pm : link
The fans and the media and management are patient with fizdale. This is not a quick fix, if they do it right this should be a gradual thing, no trading for old vets...

Let fizdale grow with the young guys and he can build his own culture...

I am actually very surprised riley talked with mills..
RE: RE: Heat made the playoffs  
djm : 5/8/2018 7:15 pm : link
In comment 13957995 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
In comment 13957982 dep026 said:


Quote:


because they were in the East. Best of the futile teams. Out West, they are a bottom team.



The Heat are 20 games over the past 3 seasons, The Knicks 60 games under. Sorry but the rosters weren't that much different.


Other than the terrific guard(s)or at least good guards on Miami?

People continue saying that Miami has the same roster as the Knicks. The Knicks guards have been been bad on a historical level. Thatís just a fact. Itís a guard driven league. We finally saw a halfway decent pg the last two months in Burke and we all went ape shit.

Miami has better players and a better coach and culture.
RE: Knicks have enough talent to be reasonably encouraged.  
djm : 5/8/2018 7:19 pm : link
In comment 13958185 bceagle05 said:
Quote:
Despite the scrutiny in New York, KP and Frank are held in high regard around the league for a reason. Hardaway is decent enough. Dotson and Burke are worth developing into good role players. We'll draft another talented player in the lottery. I've been as beaten down as any Knicks fan, but this situation is far from hopeless right now. Fizdale and Perry are solid basketball men worked their way up the ladder the old fashioned way - if the two of them can keep Mills and Dolan at bay, we might have a chance.


I agree. I also really donít care what happened here with Donnie Walsh or amare or melo. Thatís in the past. Moribund franchises have in fact turned things around and itís happened a lot lately.

The Knicks need to get lucky but they donít need to correct the mistakes of 2005 or 2010 or 2015. They need to just keep moving forward.

Sick of the talk of the past 20 years. Itís stupid voodoo shit.
RE: RE: RE: Kanter's decision is very big tho  
djm : 5/8/2018 7:22 pm : link
In comment 13958319 giantsfan44ab said:
Quote:
In comment 13958315 djm said:


Quote:


In comment 13957793 Pep22 said:


Quote:


If he opts out and they redeploy the $ elsewhere, it could mean somebody like Julius Randle.

If he opts out and they have some agreement to re-up him long term, it means KP at the 4 long term.

If he opts in, its status quo for a year.



Heís opting in. Iíd bet a lot of my money on it because heís not making a lot of money if he opts out.



It doesn't make sense but there's been a lot of buzz about him looking for a long term deal. I believe he switched agents as well, not entirely sure if it's related. But it is somewhat logical that there's reports that he's going to test FA after hiring his new agent. I would guess his previous agent was telling him to opt in and he probably has an inflated perception of what he can command after a career year coming off a $17M a year deal.


Weíll see. Heís an easy guy to root for but may his agent work some serious magic this summer. Weíd be better off with him leaving now rather than next year although the latter isnít terrible, as long as the Knicks arenít giving him anything long term...
RE: I just hope  
djm : 5/8/2018 7:24 pm : link
In comment 13958411 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
The fans and the media and management are patient with fizdale. This is not a quick fix, if they do it right this should be a gradual thing, no trading for old vets...

Let fizdale grow with the young guys and he can build his own culture...

I am actually very surprised riley talked with mills..


One thing is for certain, fizdale has inherited a better situation here than any of his predecessors have. Heís got picks and talent in the fold. Make it happen!
RE: RE: I just hope  
nygiants16 : 5/8/2018 7:25 pm : link
In comment 13958424 djm said:
Quote:
In comment 13958411 nygiants16 said:


Quote:


The fans and the media and management are patient with fizdale. This is not a quick fix, if they do it right this should be a gradual thing, no trading for old vets...

Let fizdale grow with the young guys and he can build his own culture...

I am actually very surprised riley talked with mills..



One thing is for certain, fizdale has inherited a better situation here than any of his predecessors have. Heís got picks and talent in the fold. Make it happen!


And a patient front office! Hopefully
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner