Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

John Mara: The opinion on Barkley was unanimous

GFAN52 : 5/8/2018 8:28 pm
Quote:
Jordan Raanan
& #8207;
Verified account

@JordanRaanan
23m23 minutes ago


John Mara on passing on a QB for Barkley: "You always have reservations but the opinion in our draft room was unanimous that he was the best player in the draft." #Giants
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
This is simple.  
Britt in VA : 5/9/2018 11:23 am : link
Some (not all, but some) of the posters here can't rationalize exactly how wrongly they read the situation all offseason. They were so sure that QB was the pick at two, and super vocal/argumentative about it while dismissing any alternate theory on which way the franchise might go as assinine, that they just can't wrap their head around it. So they have to make up all of these false realities that can't be proven... "room full of yes men", "protect Eli at all costs", "directives from above", etc... in order to protect their own ego and save face.

That can be the only explanation for all of the hand wringing here over picking the best player in the draft. The experts agree, the public at large agrees, it's only here that I read that this was a mistake pick, or picked for some other strange fantasy reason other than the player just simply being good.
RE: I preached the value of a QB at #2 constantly, early on  
dep026 : 5/9/2018 11:23 am : link
In comment 13959095 JonC said:
Quote:

Drafting the next Andrew Luck would've been optimal, but it was not an option.


One thing I hate is comparing players from one draft to another. People saying there wasnt a Luck or a Wentz in the draft is crazy. I am sure the Pats, Seahawks, and Saints are quite alright with their non-Luck/Wentz projects.

And I am not saying you Jon, I am speaking in generalities.
The issue here is pretty simple  
Dave on the UWS : 5/9/2018 11:28 am : link
Some of you wanted the front office to have absolute conviction on the pick-so long as it was a QB. Otherwise, the front office is a bunch of blithering idiots (see Terps and BC). Some of us however, even though we wanted a QB, are happy the front office had a conviction on Someone. The fact that that player was the consensus best player in the draft by MOST peopleís assessment means they saw what everyone else saw. THAT gives me confidence they have a clue.
Are people really arguing for a QB  
UberAlias : 5/9/2018 11:30 am : link
For the sake of a QB? I suspect people in favor of a QB thought highly of the options.

For my part, I thought there was two transformative players in the draft -Darnold and Barkley. I have a feeling we might regret passing on Darnold, but others more informed than me feel differently, and I am otherwise super happy with the player we got. I also hope the QB transition strategy doesn't come back to bite us, but there is no denying a player of SB's talents will make things that much easier for whoever that person may prove to be.
RE: This is simple.  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 5/9/2018 11:31 am : link
In comment 13959107 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
Some (not all, but some) of the posters here can't rationalize exactly how wrongly they read the situation all offseason. They were so sure that QB was the pick at two, and super vocal/argumentative about it while dismissing any alternate theory on which way the franchise might go as assinine, that they just can't wrap their head around it. So they have to make up all of these false realities that can't be proven... "room full of yes men", "protect Eli at all costs", "directives from above", etc... in order to protect their own ego and save face.

That can be the only explanation for all of the hand wringing here over picking the best player in the draft. The experts agree, the public at large agrees, it's only here that I read that this was a mistake pick, or picked for some other strange fantasy reason other than the player just simply being good.


They're as angries as Mr. Glass Rosen at 9 teams.
Britt  
JonC : 5/9/2018 11:32 am : link
That's true of some you argued with, but it's not representative of the whole. It's pretty easy to suggest a QB would have been the pick if the value had been there, not so much that they were determined to not pick a QB, and run with Eli.

dep, I'm using it as a means to express to those who don't seem to understand the actual value of the QBs that were in this draft. In other words, they didn't live up to billing when all was said and done.
And that's why I said...  
Britt in VA : 5/9/2018 11:34 am : link
"some, not all" in my first sentence.

But there was a very vocal group, and it wasn't exactly small.
RE: Mara - stay the f*ck out of the draft room.  
Big Blue '56 : 5/9/2018 11:36 am : link
In comment 13959085 baadbill said:
Quote:
I just hope his quote isn't implying Mara played any role in the draft. I have confidence in Gettleman. I have zero confidence in Mara - or any owner. The team is simply their personal toy.


Hey buddy. I think Mara has his rightful opinions as owner. I have never heard (outside of BBI, media speculations/opinions) that he has had any definitive input on the draft. Could he technically sign off on the draft pick? I guess. He does most likely sign off on FAs given that it is his money, but I think itís mostly symbolic signing off of draft picks. He will go with the pros on this I would believe
I get it  
JonC : 5/9/2018 11:37 am : link
but the point is their position wasn't really wrong in the sense of the actual value of that rare draft pick.

They were wrong in how highly the QBs would grade out, myself included.
There is some shocking stupidity on this thread  
Mike from Ohio : 5/9/2018 11:38 am : link
If your house caught fire while you were eating dinner, and everyone at the table agreed instantly that the best course of action was to get out of the house, would you stand outside questioning whether or not anyone was really thinking? Or would you assume you were all just a victim of "group think" and run back in the house to have a more healthy debate?

Bill Walsh had a quote...that quote should be applied unthinkingly to all situations due to its universal infallibility? Sometimes decisions are obvious and you don't need someone to be a contrarian just for the sake of being a contrarian.

If you like people making counter arguments to common sense just to see disagreement, turn on C-Span and watch your congress work.
RE: I get it  
Britt in VA : 5/9/2018 11:39 am : link
In comment 13959129 JonC said:
Quote:
but the point is their position wasn't really wrong in the sense of the actual value of that rare draft pick.

They were wrong in how highly the QBs would grade out, myself included.


My problem was that they refused to listen to any alternate viewpoint, especially when it came to the value of these particular QB's, and how important it was for the Giants to have conviction in one of them.
now, I'm by no means excusing those who act a fool here  
JonC : 5/9/2018 11:40 am : link
but there is some talking past each other that continues.
RE: Britt  
Big Blue '56 : 5/9/2018 11:40 am : link
In comment 13959121 JonC said:
Quote:
That's true of some you argued with, but it's not representative of the whole. It's pretty easy to suggest a QB would have been the pick if the value had been there, not so much that they were determined to not pick a QB, and run with Eli.

dep, I'm using it as a means to express to those who don't seem to understand the actual value of the QBs that were in this draft. In other words, they didn't live up to billing when all was said and done.


Bingo. If there was, in their opinion, a franchise QB to be had, they would have drafted him. There wasnít according to their choice, imv
And hell....  
Britt in VA : 5/9/2018 11:41 am : link
they STILL are refusing to listen to any alternate viewpoint, what other explanation can there be for these continuing threads?
RE: RE: I get it  
JonC : 5/9/2018 11:41 am : link
In comment 13959136 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
In comment 13959129 JonC said:


Quote:


but the point is their position wasn't really wrong in the sense of the actual value of that rare draft pick.

They were wrong in how highly the QBs would grade out, myself included.



My problem was that they refused to listen to any alternate viewpoint, especially when it came to the value of these particular QB's, and how important it was for the Giants to have conviction in one of them.


Understood, there is/was a significant QB or bust crowd, to go along with the OL or bust crowd.
Jon..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 5/9/2018 11:47 am : link
I'm guessing we will always have people talking past one another when a very vocal group maintains the team is led by a bunch of idiots, that the GM is "old school" and a mouthpiece for the owners, and that "Jints Central" lives on strong.

Basically most narratives that have been debated this offseason center around that group's insistence that the team is incompetent and that all of their decisions must be treated that way.

I get being frustrated, but some of these posters are so focused on illustrating that the team is run by a bunch of idiots that they fail to recognize any other points. Which is ironic because after the shitshow the past few seasons, the team did exactly what they asked of it - clean house.

What this offseason shows is you can:
- Clean house and people will still say things are run business as usual
- Pick the consensus #1 rated player in the draft and poke holes to make it appear to be a poor selection
- Take a GM who lost his last job for refusing to bend to ownership and maintain he's going to ride the train to retirement as a yes man for Mara

The inconsistencies in the argumentation are mind-boggling.
RE: And hell....  
UberAlias : 5/9/2018 11:49 am : link
In comment 13959141 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
they STILL are refusing to listen to any alternate viewpoint
So why continue the effort?
Every organization makes good and bad decisions  
Mike from Ohio : 5/9/2018 11:54 am : link
Not always in equal amounts, but no group or individual ever gets it all right or all wrong. Yes, even the Browns.

There are many posters on this site that view every decision made by the organization as wrong. There are just as many that see every decision by the organization as right. Both groups are just as blinded by prejudice, just on opposite ends of the spectrum. I'd suggest to anyone who finds themselves in one camp or the other to challenge themselves to think a little more critically.

But even if you disagree with a decision made, it is weird to almost hope it turns out to be wrong just so you are vindicated in your opinion. We are all (ok maybe mostly) Giants fans. The team succeeding should be more important than winning some obscure BBI debate nobody will remember in a week.
I don't think it was QB or bust, at least not to me it wasn't  
Go Terps : 5/9/2018 12:02 pm : link
"Barkley was the clear best player in the draft" is being repeated often now, but that was not the feeling (definitely not on this board) between the end of the college football season and the draft. The feeling was that there were about 6 or 7 blue chip prospects: Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, and Allen. It was mentioned often how the #6-#7 range was the dividing line down into the next level of prospects.

I was hoping for either Darnold (not any of the QBs...Darnold) or a trade down, as based on what I'd heard and read from experts like Sy, Dave Te, and others it seemed likely that an excellent prospect or two would still be there at #12 (Buffalo - who had been rumored as wanting to trade up). Well Tampa was smart enough to make that trade and get both of Buffalo's second rounders, and STILL draft Vea, who I believe Sy had as his third or fourth best prospect in the draft.

What might we have gotten from Buffalo? We can use the Tampa trade as a baseline, but after not even using our entire 10 minutes Gettleman preferred to make food jokes and mock analytics.

I have super high hopes for Barkley and will be rooting for him unlike FMIC and arcarsenal imply. I hope we build the team around him starting immediately. But rooting for him and questioning our draft management in our most important draft since 2004 can be independent things.
RE: Itís so odd to me  
bw in dc : 5/9/2018 12:03 pm : link
In comment 13959065 FThomas said:
Quote:
That some of you really seem like you would prefer to see Barkley fail just to be vindicated in your opinion of the ďJints CentralĒ FO. And I mean you can deny that to the moon but the posts donít lie.


This is very funny, and galacticly stupid.

Since you cite ďJints CentralĒ, Iím going to assume I am a target of your stupidity, I have never once suggested that I want Barkley to fail. My position has always been that he was the WRONG selection.

I have been a PSU for for over 30 years. I root for all PSU players who get drafted or signed as a FA, to have nothing but great success.

So some friendly poster advice - put down the stupid pills and get some rest...
RE: RE: And hell....  
Britt in VA : 5/9/2018 12:11 pm : link
In comment 13959156 UberAlias said:
Quote:
In comment 13959141 Britt in VA said:


Quote:


they STILL are refusing to listen to any alternate viewpoint

So why continue the effort?


I'm not. Just pointing it out.
Buffalo said they had no intention of  
Chris684 : 5/9/2018 12:15 pm : link
going up to #2 Terps.

The price was too steep. They were content to wait for one of these QBs to inevitably fall out of the top 5 which 3 of them ultimately did.

Based on what NYG looks for in a QB, pretty much only Darnold would even be in play. Jackson, Rosen and Mayfield would pretty much be excluded based on size/character/maturity/injury/style of play concerns.

Darnold had an underwhelming year. He also spent the least amount of time under center. He was also passed over as the #1 pick. It's also been reported that while fans think the Jets "lucked out", the Jets themselves traded to #3 with every intention of taking Mayfield and the Browns basically blew up their #1 plan.

The 3 best football players in this draft were Barkley-Nelson-Chubb in that order.

Not only did the Giants draft the best football player who happens to be a RB. They complimented the pick by taking a road grading Guard who figures to start from day 1 in round 2. They addressed the pass rush. They drafted a viable replacement for Eli in the 4th round.

Here's an overview of what the Giants did.

Took the consensus best player in the draft.
Rebuilt the trenches 3 picks along OL/DL.
Addressed the pass rush.
Took a QB Shurmur apparently really likes.

If you listened to Gettleman talk the last 3 months, there were zero surprises in this draft. None.
RE: RE: T-Bone correct  
T-Bone : 5/9/2018 12:18 pm : link
In comment 13959105 dep026 said:
Quote:
In comment 13959013 Chris684 said:


Quote:



Cleveland, NYJ, Buffalo, and Arizona had nothing more than poop on a stick at the QB position prior to making the pick.




I dont understand this line of thinking. There are new coaches, GMs, and management in place than who took prior QBs. Just because they failed in the past, it has no bearing on what they did now.

Its like saying taking a PSU RB early is a bad decision based on their history ;)


I think you missed the point of that post.
Cool.  
Dave in Hoboken : 5/9/2018 12:19 pm : link
Now go win a SB in these next 2 years. Good luck with that.
RE: RE: I preached the value of a QB at #2 constantly, early on  
T-Bone : 5/9/2018 12:20 pm : link
In comment 13959109 dep026 said:
Quote:
In comment 13959095 JonC said:


Quote:



Drafting the next Andrew Luck would've been optimal, but it was not an option.



One thing I hate is comparing players from one draft to another. People saying there wasnt a Luck or a Wentz in the draft is crazy. I am sure the Pats, Seahawks, and Saints are quite alright with their non-Luck/Wentz projects.

And I am not saying you Jon, I am speaking in generalities.


I think you're missing the point in this one too. LOL!
RE: Itís so odd to me  
Jimmy Googs : 5/9/2018 12:20 pm : link
In comment 13959065 FThomas said:
Quote:
That some of you really seem like you would prefer to see Barkley fail just to be vindicated in your opinion of the ďJints CentralĒ FO. And I mean you can deny that to the moon but the posts donít lie.


This is simply not the case, or at least I do not seem to read them as you do. Show me the posts that "don't lie" and state they want Barkley to fail.

I will make it really easy...show me 1 or 2.
RE: Jon..  
bw in dc : 5/9/2018 12:24 pm : link
In comment 13959152 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
I'm guessing we will always have people talking past one another when a very vocal group maintains the team is led by a bunch of idiots, that the GM is "old school" and a mouthpiece for the owners, and that "Jints Central" lives on strong.



Serious question - didn't Gettleman himself says he was old school?
Chris684  
Go Terps : 5/9/2018 12:24 pm : link
This discussion is about the Barkley pick, not the rest of the draft (which I agree with you, I liked).

You say the price for #2 was too steep for Buffalo...who set that price? We did. And we also don't know what other trades may have been on the table.

But what does seem to be clear is that you're right...Gettleman seemed to be dead set on what he was going to do with the pick for quite a while come hell or high water.
RE: RE: Jon..  
Go Terps : 5/9/2018 12:25 pm : link
In comment 13959195 bw in dc said:
Quote:
In comment 13959152 FatMan in Charlotte said:


Quote:


I'm guessing we will always have people talking past one another when a very vocal group maintains the team is led by a bunch of idiots, that the GM is "old school" and a mouthpiece for the owners, and that "Jints Central" lives on strong.





Serious question - didn't Gettleman himself says he was old school?


He did.
Read most threads  
Thegratefulhead : 5/9/2018 12:38 pm : link
And I have pretty good memory, I do not remember anyone saying they wanted Barkley to fail. I would love to know who that poster is so I can ignore anything they say from now on. If it isn't true, don't make shit up, you already have a good argument, lying to make your point stronger makes you an ass.
Like the pick  
Thegratefulhead : 5/9/2018 12:41 pm : link
Wanted a QB but the Barkley pick is awesome. I was considering canceling my Sunday ticket but I changed my mind because I do want to miss anything this kid does. He has a chance to be special.
Terps  
Chris684 : 5/9/2018 12:45 pm : link
I think itís tough to make the point that Barkley was a good or bad pick without looking at the entire draft.

After Thursday night, some were arguing the Barkley pick sucked because of our terrible OL. Well, after stealing Hernandez in round 2, one can argue combined with Solder and Omameh, this OL has a chance to be a strength.

The biggest gripe, the one that automatically puts NYG in QB hell because they passed on Darnold, Rosen, etc. Maybe they liked Lauletta better in round 4? Taking a look back at 2012, did anyone think Russell Wilson would be rock solid and Luck and RGIII would have turned out this way due to injury or otherwise?
RE: RE: RE: Jon..  
T-Bone : 5/9/2018 12:45 pm : link
In comment 13959197 Go Terps said:
Quote:
In comment 13959195 bw in dc said:


Quote:


In comment 13959152 FatMan in Charlotte said:


Quote:


I'm guessing we will always have people talking past one another when a very vocal group maintains the team is led by a bunch of idiots, that the GM is "old school" and a mouthpiece for the owners, and that "Jints Central" lives on strong.





Serious question - didn't Gettleman himself says he was old school?



He did.


Yeah he did.
BW and all...  
FThomas : 5/9/2018 12:56 pm : link
I wrote "seems", because thats what it seems like to me. Apologies if my wording offended anyone, as well as the use of "Jints Central" which I just associated here with an unfavorable opinion of the FO direction.
At the end of the day I want this team to succeed, and yes maybe I'm a blind fan but this offseason has given me hope.
RE: Cool.  
BigBlueShock : 5/9/2018 1:20 pm : link
In comment 13959188 Dave in Hoboken said:
Quote:
Now go win a SB in these next 2 years. Good luck with that.

Why? Is the world ending in 2 years?
Just checked with Eli's agent  
Jimmy Googs : 5/9/2018 1:40 pm : link
its not...
Yes, I wish Jawn would keep his trap shut  
HomerJones45 : 5/9/2018 2:14 pm : link
The reputation of "Jints Central" is richly deserved going back to the 60's except for the "George Young Agreement" years. The members of the front office have shown themselves to be serial bunglers, and "clean house" is a relative phrase when the old was swept out in exchange for the former and the remaining were elevated. Posters have a right to be skeptical.

I wish Barkley to be all that his ardent admirers hope and that a successor to Eli comes from one of these two qb's if nothing else but to spare us from further ministrations from the owners' box.
LOL..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 5/9/2018 2:48 pm : link
Quote:
The reputation of "Jints Central" is richly deserved going back to the 60's except for the "George Young Agreement" years.


Did you pull a Rip Van Winkle from 2000-2011, or were you too busy trying to figure out how to work "Jawn" into every fucking post??

I know it doesn't fit the narrative that we're a bumbling, incompetent franchise, but hey - you have a point you've driven into the ground, so why not just make more shit up??
Dave in Hbkn...Why are we sarcastically wishing the franchise luck  
Chris684 : 5/9/2018 3:00 pm : link
for the next "2 years"?

Are we somehow destined for failure beyond that time frame?

Is it set in stone that neither Webb nor Lauletta can play?

Also, if we truly are trotting out Eli's corpse, then I guess we will be picking high again?

Just want to make sure I know what the future holds so I can prepare myself.
RE: BW and all...  
bw in dc : 5/9/2018 3:43 pm : link
In comment 13959233 FThomas said:
Quote:
I wrote "seems", because thats what it seems like to me. Apologies if my wording offended anyone, as well as the use of "Jints Central" which I just associated here with an unfavorable opinion of the FO direction.
At the end of the day I want this team to succeed, and yes maybe I'm a blind fan but this offseason has given me hope.


All good - no worries.



Iíd guess Mara wanted Darnold..  
Sean : 5/9/2018 4:41 pm : link
I just listened to him with Francesa and he is Eli 2.0 personality wise. There was the report right before the draft that ownership preferred QB & Mara signed off on the Eli benching.

For everyone who says ownership shouldnít be involved, you should be relieved that this appears to be a DG call.
RE: Terps  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 5/10/2018 8:39 am : link
In comment 13959218 Chris684 said:
Quote:
I think itís tough to make the point that Barkley was a good or bad pick without looking at the entire draft.

After Thursday night, some were arguing the Barkley pick sucked because of our terrible OL. Well, after stealing Hernandez in round 2, one can argue combined with Solder and Omameh, this OL has a chance to be a strength.

The biggest gripe, the one that automatically puts NYG in QB hell because they passed on Darnold, Rosen, etc. Maybe they liked Lauletta better in round 4? Taking a look back at 2012, did anyone think Russell Wilson would be rock solid and Luck and RGIII would have turned out this way due to injury or otherwise?


I think Rosen cultists would straight up trade Luck and RG3 for Barkley. Teh sabermetrics puhsitional valyou!
RE: LOL...  
Ten Ton Hammer : 5/10/2018 9:20 am : link
In comment 13958937 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
Jesus.



Quote:


I get why people need to feel like the people making these decisions
Ten Ton Hammer : 1:45 am : link : reply
MUST know what they're doing, but isn't this the same franchise that drafted a player who was blind in one eye 5th overall?



Using this standard of argumentation, why not just go back to the #2 pick of LT??

I'm pretty sure I know why, but since apparently the decisions made on the #5 player a couple decades ago are fodder for yuks, why not go back further for the example??

Why? Because it doesn't paint the decision makers as blithering idiots....


You don't have to go back that far to find examples of them getting it right. I didn't suggest they've never made correct decisions.

Bad teams have bad years for a reason. When you have a string of bad decisions, which the Giants absolutely do, it's perfectly reasonable to not rush to judgement that just because the people in the offices changed that everything is going to be okay.
And what..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 5/10/2018 9:23 am : link
exactly does that have to do with a comment about drafting a blind guy 22 years ago with pretty much an entirely different staff?
I don't understand that  
Bill L : 5/10/2018 9:27 am : link
if a team made bad decisions, and decisions are made by people, and the people who made those decisions are all gone (changed), then it's still permissible to hold the bad decisions up as examples about the team's organization? The "team" is not really more than vapor and a name (even the buildings are different now). What exactly are you hanging historical decision on?
I never got an answer before  
UConn4523 : 5/10/2018 9:27 am : link
but outside of being forced to wait and see how this all plays out, given we have no choice, why wouldnít you be excited or optimistic? What does questioning ever single move actually do?

I realize itís a message board and these things are to be discussed, but to basically downplay everything until proven otherwise is a very taxing and unproductive. Unless you think the Giants will react based on a message board I really donít know what some posters want to see happen.
RE: I never got an answer before  
Bill L : 5/10/2018 9:30 am : link
In comment 13960096 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
but outside of being forced to wait and see how this all plays out, given we have no choice, why wouldnít you be excited or optimistic? What does questioning ever single move actually do?

I realize itís a message board and these things are to be discussed, but to basically downplay everything until proven otherwise is a very taxing and unproductive. Unless you think the Giants will react based on a message board I really donít know what some posters want to see happen.

I think it's mostly that we all just miss radar so much, that we've collectively decided to become him.
I wasn't thrilled with the pick, but at some point you have to move on  
jcn56 : 5/10/2018 10:11 am : link
I'm obviously pulling for the guy, and really hope the Giants made the right move and I'm completely wrong.

There's a very simple set of success criteria for this pick, though. Or in this case, failure criteria. The pick was a bad move if:

- Barkley ends up not being as good as advertised, and not significantly better than other backs in the draft

- Barkey ends up being good, but the wheels fall off Eli and we're in need of a QB sooner than later AND one of the QBs picked early turns out to be a franchise quality QB.

- Barkley busts

I'm hopeful that the third bullet isn't likely, given how universally he was touted. If Barkley ends up being really good - preferably, one of the top 5 backs in the NFL on a yearly basis - then it was a good pick. Yes, you'd like a generational player with a top 5 pick, but that's unrealistic to expect to hit on every single time. If it wasn't, the cost to get into the top 5 would be far more prohibitive than it is.

I just hope we don't look back on Barkley and see that he was a just a good but not great back, or that his career was shortened due to injury, and we passed on a QB making our transition from Eli more difficult. I don't like to call draft picks busts when injuries are involved, but some of the concern with picking a RB high is the fact that RBs take a lot more abuse than most other positions. That's why many were concerned with taking a RB at #2 overall.
RE: I wasn't thrilled with the pick, but at some point you have to move on  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 5/10/2018 10:18 am : link
In comment 13960136 jcn56 said:
Quote:
I'm obviously pulling for the guy, and really hope the Giants made the right move and I'm completely wrong.

There's a very simple set of success criteria for this pick, though. Or in this case, failure criteria. The pick was a bad move if:

- Barkley ends up not being as good as advertised, and not significantly better than other backs in the draft

- Barkey ends up being good, but the wheels fall off Eli and we're in need of a QB sooner than later AND one of the QBs picked early turns out to be a franchise quality QB.

- Barkley busts

I'm hopeful that the third bullet isn't likely, given how universally he was touted. If Barkley ends up being really good - preferably, one of the top 5 backs in the NFL on a yearly basis - then it was a good pick. Yes, you'd like a generational player with a top 5 pick, but that's unrealistic to expect to hit on every single time. If it wasn't, the cost to get into the top 5 would be far more prohibitive than it is.

I just hope we don't look back on Barkley and see that he was a just a good but not great back, or that his career was shortened due to injury, and we passed on a QB making our transition from Eli more difficult. I don't like to call draft picks busts when injuries are involved, but some of the concern with picking a RB high is the fact that RBs take a lot more abuse than most other positions. That's why many were concerned with taking a RB at #2 overall.



Rough way of evaluating our choice at #2 , 4 or 5 years from now....

Possible Scenarios


Positives:

1. Giants win a SuperBowl in Elis remaining window of quality QB play. Barkley plays a major role. (This justifies the move in itself, regardless of anything else)

2. Giants come close to winning a SuperBowl in Elis remaining few years and Barkley is a strong contributor.

3. Webb or Lauletta become franchise level starters i.e. top 10 QB in the NFL and play well for next 8+ years.

4. Barkley is a beast RB who is on the level or surpasses level of LdT or Tiki in his prime years for 7 or more years.

5. Lauletta or Webb become decent NFL starters on level of like a Joe Flacco.

6. Barkley becomes a decent RB with decent level impact for next 5 or more years.

Negatives:

1. One of the top QBs we passed up at 2 ,Sam Darnold ,Josh Rosen or Allen become durable franchise QBs for the next 10+ years.

2. One of the top QBs we passed up at 2 ,Sam Darnold ,Josh Rosen or Allen becomes a viable starter on the level of like a Joe Flacco.

In 4 or 5 years from now: Whichever ones come true from the negative grouping are weighed with the true statements from the positives. If you end up w/ positive outweighing negative taking Barkley was likely the best choice. If you end up in the negative, Barkley likely was NOT the right choice.
This place kills me  
Jimmy Googs : 5/10/2018 10:41 am : link
but its like a drug not being able to respond to some of these posts...
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner