Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

NFT: Knicks Chat: Perry suggests Knicks will go BPA

DanMetroMan : 5/15/2018 7:46 am
Ian Begley
& #8207;
Verified account

@IanBegley
Following Following @IanBegley
More
Knicks GM Scott Perry reiterates to @alanhahn that the club is looking to draft the best player available, regardless of position. “We’ve got to get the highest level of talent that we can get on our roster and we’ll figure out all of the positions once they get in there.”

(Bamba reportedly has early helium as high as 4, but he's my hope at 9 given the realistic names being thrown around... Bridges, Sexton etc)
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
So who are your nine best players?  
Anakim : 5/15/2018 9:37 pm : link
I'll give it a shot:

1. Luka Doncic
2. Deandre Ayton
3. Mo Bamba
4. Jaren Jackson Jr.
5. Marvin Bagley III


^^^Those guys will for sure be gone


6. Wendell Carter Jr.
7. Michael Porter Jr.
8. Collin Sexton
9. Trae Young


And then the Bridges?
9.
Why are we looking for role players when there is only one stud on  
Jim in Hoboken : 5/15/2018 9:50 pm : link
the roster, an injured one at that. That's how we ended up with Frank when Mitchell was still on the board.

It appears that some of us can make better picks by looking at YouTube clips, here is a name to keep an eye on: Zhaire Smith!!

I definitely don't want Mikal or Miles. At our range, Sexton seems to have that "it" factor but I don't know how his athleticism translates to the NBA level. I'd give Trae Young a long look also, we need playmakers, period. The other target would be SGA.
Where do we pick in the second round?  
Anakim : 5/15/2018 9:54 pm : link
Maybe we can get guys like Mitchell Robinson or Isaac Bonga?
Apparently we pick 36th.  
bceagle05 : 5/15/2018 10:00 pm : link
I think we have another second rounder later on, too.
RE: Apparently we pick 36th.  
Jim in Fairfax : 5/15/2018 10:18 pm : link
In comment 13965116 bceagle05 said:
Quote:
I think we have another second rounder later on, too.

They pick 37th. They have no other second round picks.
If Sexton  
GMEN46 : 5/15/2018 11:43 pm : link
Is available you have to pick him over either Bridges. Way more upside for Sexton.
RE: RE: Apparently we pick 36th.  
Anakim : 5/15/2018 11:49 pm : link
In comment 13965137 Jim in Fairfax said:
Quote:
In comment 13965116 bceagle05 said:


Quote:


I think we have another second rounder later on, too.


They pick 37th. They have no other second round picks.


So maybe a guy like Isaac Bonga, Hami Diallo, Mitchell Robinson (insanely athletic center), or Mo Wagner? Or maybe a G-League stash guy like Anfernee Simons?
RE: Not sure if this right, without checking,  
Ten Ton Hammer : 5/15/2018 11:51 pm : link
In comment 13965008 Beezer said:
Quote:
But off the top ... the Knicks won 5 of their last 13, soooo ... essentially this. If they’d only won 2 of the 13, they’d have ended up in the spot occupied by Sacramento. Meaning the No. 2 pick.


That's not how that works. They could have had Sacramento's slot and still not drawn the Number 2 pick. It's the Knicks. They don't have that kind of luck.
RE: RE: Not sure if this right, without checking,  
Anakim : 5/15/2018 11:57 pm : link
In comment 13965183 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
In comment 13965008 Beezer said:


Quote:


But off the top ... the Knicks won 5 of their last 13, soooo ... essentially this. If they’d only won 2 of the 13, they’d have ended up in the spot occupied by Sacramento. Meaning the No. 2 pick.



That's not how that works. They could have had Sacramento's slot and still not drawn the Number 2 pick. It's the Knicks. They don't have that kind of luck.



Butterfly Effect!
RE: RE: Apparently we pick 36th.  
bceagle05 : 5/15/2018 11:59 pm : link
In comment 13965137 Jim in Fairfax said:
Quote:
In comment 13965116 bceagle05 said:


Quote:


I think we have another second rounder later on, too.


They pick 37th. They have no other second round picks.


I saw something on Twitter about Sacramento and Chicago switching places in round two, since they had the same record and Sac had the higher first round pick (supposedly it's an obscure NBA rule?). That would bump the Knicks up to 36, but I can't swear by it.
Extremely  
DanMetroMan : 5/16/2018 9:28 am : link
early but sounds unlike Sexton is high on their board.
I wouldn't give Trae Young a look at all  
Greg from LI : 5/16/2018 9:29 am : link
undersized, mediocre athlete, shooting declined significantly once teams started keying on him. Don't think he's an NBA star.
RE: I wouldn't give Trae Young a look at all  
nygiants16 : 5/16/2018 9:33 am : link
In comment 13965354 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
undersized, mediocre athlete, shooting declined significantly once teams started keying on him. Don't think he's an NBA star.


Definition of chuck and duck...

He has very good vision but he is turnover prone...
RE: Extremely  
nygiants16 : 5/16/2018 9:34 am : link
In comment 13965351 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
early but sounds unlike Sexton is high on their board.


Unless Sexton is head and shoulders above the small forwards in that range I see no reason to take him...

Knicks may get lucky and porter falls right into their lap
Bulls seem destined for Wendall Carter  
dep026 : 5/16/2018 9:37 am : link
and seem destined to be a lottery pick for years.

I rather them take a chance on Miles Bridges or Michael Porter before Carter.
RE: Bulls seem destined for Wendall Carter  
nygiants16 : 5/16/2018 9:40 am : link
In comment 13965366 dep026 said:
Quote:
and seem destined to be a lottery pick for years.

I rather them take a chance on Miles Bridges or Michael Porter before Carter.


Is kris Dunn viewed as the future there or would that be a landing spot for sexton?
RE: RE: Bulls seem destined for Wendall Carter  
dep026 : 5/16/2018 9:42 am : link
In comment 13965373 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
In comment 13965366 dep026 said:


Quote:


and seem destined to be a lottery pick for years.

I rather them take a chance on Miles Bridges or Michael Porter before Carter.



Is kris Dunn viewed as the future there or would that be a landing spot for sexton?


They are very high on Dunn. Bamba was their ideal pick. Dont think he lasts until 7 though.
RE: RE: RE: Bulls seem destined for Wendall Carter  
nygiants16 : 5/16/2018 9:48 am : link
In comment 13965377 dep026 said:
Quote:
In comment 13965373 nygiants16 said:


Quote:


In comment 13965366 dep026 said:


Quote:


and seem destined to be a lottery pick for years.

I rather them take a chance on Miles Bridges or Michael Porter before Carter.



Is kris Dunn viewed as the future there or would that be a landing spot for sexton?



They are very high on Dunn. Bamba was their ideal pick. Dont think he lasts until 7 though.


Yeah I am trying to find 2 landing spots for young and Sexton so porter falls
Read the NY post comments from Avery Johnson  
Carl in CT : 5/16/2018 9:50 am : link
On Sexton. He thinks he is as fast as KJ was and also as athletic as R. Westbrook with a stroke. Said he should be top 5. If any of that is true, he has to be considered.
Cleveland is a good choice  
dep026 : 5/16/2018 9:51 am : link
for one of them. They need a scoring guard in the worst way. And I would look at Orlando as another potential suitor. They have Gordon and Isaacs already. Bamba seems destined to go there, but do they really have any guards that are good?
RE: Read the NY post comments from Avery Johnson  
DanMetroMan : 5/16/2018 9:52 am : link
In comment 13965392 Carl in CT said:
Quote:
On Sexton. He thinks he is as fast as KJ was and also as athletic as R. Westbrook with a stroke. Said he should be top 5. If any of that is true, he has to be considered.


His own head coach... what would you expect him to say? Not exactly unbiased.
RE: RE: RE: Bulls seem destined for Wendall Carter  
giantsfan44ab : 5/16/2018 9:54 am : link
In comment 13965377 dep026 said:
Quote:
In comment 13965373 nygiants16 said:


Quote:


In comment 13965366 dep026 said:

They are very high on Dunn. Bamba was their ideal pick. Dont think he lasts until 7 though.


You think Ayton, Jackson, Bamba, and porter all get picked before the bulls? I think they'd go for any one of them and its not hard seeing Bagley and Young both go top 5 as well.
RE: Cleveland is a good choice  
giantsfan44ab : 5/16/2018 9:56 am : link
In comment 13965393 dep026 said:
Quote:
for one of them. They need a scoring guard in the worst way. And I would look at Orlando as another potential suitor. They have Gordon and Isaacs already. Bamba seems destined to go there, but do they really have any guards that are good?


I think Young's best shot of going high is Orlando. They've been killing trying to get PG production.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Bulls seem destined for Wendall Carter  
dep026 : 5/16/2018 9:57 am : link
In comment 13965402 giantsfan44ab said:
Quote:
In comment 13965377 dep026 said:


Quote:


In comment 13965373 nygiants16 said:


Quote:


In comment 13965366 dep026 said:

They are very high on Dunn. Bamba was their ideal pick. Dont think he lasts until 7 though.



You think Ayton, Jackson, Bamba, and porter all get picked before the bulls? I think they'd go for any one of them and its not hard seeing Bagley and Young both go top 5 as well.


If I had to guess right now....

1. Donacic
2. Ayton
3. Bagley
4. Young
5. Jackson
6. Bamba
7. Carter
8. Sexton
9. Porter
10. One of the Bridges

So the Knicks may get Porter if it goes like this.
I get it his coach  
Carl in CT : 5/16/2018 9:58 am : link
But he was also an NBA player for years. He really owes no loyalty for a one and done freshman to go to that extreme. All I’m saying (if any is true) don’t miss out on the next Mitchell. I don’t care who we have. Need studs.
I definitely see Cavs going point  
nygiants16 : 5/16/2018 10:00 am : link
..
I only saw him play in the tournament  
Greg from LI : 5/16/2018 10:10 am : link
But I can't see what the big deal is about Sexton. Can't shoot, not a great playmaker, lousy defender. Very athletic and can get to the rack, but that's about it. Plus, fair or not, Alabama was an enormous disappointment last season and as their star player he's going to bear some of the responsibility for that.
RE: I only saw him play in the tournament  
dep026 : 5/16/2018 10:14 am : link
In comment 13965425 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
But I can't see what the big deal is about Sexton. Can't shoot, not a great playmaker, lousy defender. Very athletic and can get to the rack, but that's about it. Plus, fair or not, Alabama was an enormous disappointment last season and as their star player he's going to bear some of the responsibility for that.


A lot of what you wrote was written about Westbrook too. he wont be nearly as good as him, but his athleticism and able to score will appeal to a lot of teams.
RE: I only saw him play in the tournament  
giantsfan44ab : 5/16/2018 10:15 am : link
In comment 13965425 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
But I can't see what the big deal is about Sexton. Can't shoot, not a great playmaker, lousy defender. Very athletic and can get to the rack, but that's about it. Plus, fair or not, Alabama was an enormous disappointment last season and as their star player he's going to bear some of the responsibility for that.


I'm pretty sure you said something similar about Donovan Mitchell last year because he shat the bed against high and mighty UVA.
Dep  
giantsfan44ab : 5/16/2018 10:18 am : link
you think CHI would pass on Porter for Carter? I see no chance Porter falls to NYK. As for #1 overall I think Phoenix goes Ayton. Not cuz of Arizona, but can you build a backcourt with 2 non-defenders in Booker and Doncic? I think Portland has given insight on how that ends up working even when you have 2 of the best offensive guards in the league.
We'll see what this new regime is made of  
ghost718 : 5/16/2018 10:24 am : link
Will they take someone unexpected,or will they select the player most frequently seen in mock drafts.

They're not in a bad spot.It would have been nice to get in the top 3,but there are also a handful of players I would like to avoid.Picking 9th helps with that.
RE: Dep  
dep026 : 5/16/2018 10:26 am : link
In comment 13965437 giantsfan44ab said:
Quote:
you think CHI would pass on Porter for Carter? I see no chance Porter falls to NYK. As for #1 overall I think Phoenix goes Ayton. Not cuz of Arizona, but can you build a backcourt with 2 non-defenders in Booker and Doncic? I think Portland has given insight on how that ends up working even when you have 2 of the best offensive guards in the league.


I see Porter and Markhanan playing the same position. I think they want a more legitimate defender next to Lauri. I think they would drool for Bamba, but he wont be there.

Porter is still a big unknown.
RE: RE: Dep  
giantsfan44ab : 5/16/2018 10:30 am : link
In comment 13965452 dep026 said:
Quote:
In comment 13965437 giantsfan44ab said:


Quote:


you think CHI would pass on Porter for Carter? I see no chance Porter falls to NYK. As for #1 overall I think Phoenix goes Ayton. Not cuz of Arizona, but can you build a backcourt with 2 non-defenders in Booker and Doncic? I think Portland has given insight on how that ends up working even when you have 2 of the best offensive guards in the league.



I see Porter and Markhanan playing the same position. I think they want a more legitimate defender next to Lauri. I think they would drool for Bamba, but he wont be there.

Porter is still a big unknown.


Maybe, I think there will be a lot of differing opinions on the bigs. I think Ayton goes 1. Doncic 2/3. Does Atlanta put another big next to Collins? I can see Memphis getting a Gasol replacement but they could also try competing and chase Porter in hopes he can make noise with Conley coming back. Dallas I can see going for a big. Orlando I can't if they're keeping Gordon. If Bagely is one of the bigs that gets taken ahead of CHI I think they can get Bamba or JJJ.
I think Donacic goes 1  
dep026 : 5/16/2018 10:31 am : link
because wasnt he coached by the Suns new coach? It makes way too much sense for me.

RE: I think Donacic goes 1  
DanMetroMan : 5/16/2018 10:39 am : link
In comment 13965465 dep026 said:
Quote:
because wasnt he coached by the Suns new coach? It makes way too much sense for me.


Ayton went to HS in Arizona, then college there. He's going 1/1.
RE: I think Donacic goes 1  
giantsfan44ab : 5/16/2018 10:43 am : link
In comment 13965465 dep026 said:
Quote:
because wasnt he coached by the Suns new coach? It makes way too much sense for me.


Oof that will be a rough backcourt defensively, at least they will have size but still. If I were Phoenix I'd look at Smart closely in the offseason, exactly the type of guard they need for Booker. I think Ayton is what Booker needs offensively, he really looks like he can run the point.
RE: Dep  
nygiants16 : 5/16/2018 10:47 am : link
In comment 13965437 giantsfan44ab said:
Quote:
you think CHI would pass on Porter for Carter? I see no chance Porter falls to NYK. As for #1 overall I think Phoenix goes Ayton. Not cuz of Arizona, but can you build a backcourt with 2 non-defenders in Booker and Doncic? I think Portland has given insight on how that ends up working even when you have 2 of the best offensive guards in the league.


Ayrton doncic bagley jjj Carter bamba Sexton young...

Not hard to see how porter falls, just need young and Sexton to go top 8
RE: RE: Dep  
giantsfan44ab : 5/16/2018 10:51 am : link
In comment 13965480 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
In comment 13965437 giantsfan44ab said:


Quote:


you think CHI would pass on Porter for Carter? I see no chance Porter falls to NYK. As for #1 overall I think Phoenix goes Ayton. Not cuz of Arizona, but can you build a backcourt with 2 non-defenders in Booker and Doncic? I think Portland has given insight on how that ends up working even when you have 2 of the best offensive guards in the league.



Ayrton doncic bagley jjj Carter bamba Sexton young...

Not hard to see how porter falls, just need young and Sexton to go top 8


There's still a month left but I'm not seeing the "hype" for Sexton and Bamba going high yet. Like KP jumped from lottery to top 5 lock by this time in that draft. Still also like SGA if we're going PG/wing. Would need either Frank or SGA to bulk up to guard 3s though.
Bamba's wingspan  
dep026 : 5/16/2018 11:01 am : link
is like 9 feet long...haha. He can hit 3s. Someone will fall in love with him.

Hes a better Clint Capela potentially.
RE: Bamba's wingspan  
giantsfan44ab : 5/16/2018 11:05 am : link
In comment 13965492 dep026 said:
Quote:
is like 9 feet long...haha. He can hit 3s. Someone will fall in love with him.

Hes a better Clint Capela potentially.


I like Bamba, I dont think hes comparable athletically to Capela. His 3 point shooting is intriguing.
RE: RE: Bamba's wingspan  
dep026 : 5/16/2018 11:08 am : link
In comment 13965497 giantsfan44ab said:
Quote:
In comment 13965492 dep026 said:


Quote:


is like 9 feet long...haha. He can hit 3s. Someone will fall in love with him.

Hes a better Clint Capela potentially.



I like Bamba, I dont think hes comparable athletically to Capela. His 3 point shooting is intriguing.


What I like about Mamba is he can put on 25 pounds without losing his athleticism.

I remember what Tyson Chandler looked like whene he was drafted to what he is now. If Bamba can come close to that.... pretty good prospect.
RE: RE: RE: Bamba's wingspan  
giantsfan44ab : 5/16/2018 11:14 am : link
In comment 13965500 dep026 said:
Quote:
In comment 13965497 giantsfan44ab said:


Quote:


In comment 13965492 dep026 said:


Quote:


is like 9 feet long...haha. He can hit 3s. Someone will fall in love with him.

Hes a better Clint Capela potentially.


I remember what Tyson Chandler looked like whene he was drafted to what he is now. If Bamba can come close to that.... pretty good prospect.


He'd be perfect for Chicago. Mainly because I dont think you can survive with markannen at the 5 like you can with KP at the 5. Chicago has means of trading for a decent 3 if they need. Based on age/contract situation I'd take Markannen over Portis, but do you think it's guaranteed Lauri will be better than Portis at peak? I'm taking Portis over Bagley or Carter anyday. I'd rather trade 9 for Chicago for Portis than take those 2.
Comps  
Pep22 : 5/16/2018 11:26 am : link
Upside Comp = Ayton: David Robinson; more likely ________

Upside Comp = Doncic: Paul Pierce; more likely ________

Bagley: a more athletic Derrick Favors

Upside Comp = Bamba: Rudy Gobert; more likely ________

Sexton: Eric Bledsoe

Young: a homeless man's Steph Curry; more likely Mike Bibby

JJJ (Jackson): Marquisse Chriss

Porter: Joe Johnson

Carter: David West

Mikal Bridges: Khris Middleton

Miles Bridges: Stanley Johnson

SGA: Frank Ntilikina
RE: Comps  
giantsfan44ab : 5/16/2018 11:29 am : link
In comment 13965522 Pep22 said:
Quote:
Upside Comp = Ayton: David Robinson; more likely ________

Upside Comp = Doncic: Paul Pierce; more likely ________

Bagley: a more athletic Derrick Favors

Upside Comp = Bamba: Rudy Gobert; more likely ________

Sexton: Eric Bledsoe

Young: a homeless man's Steph Curry; more likely Mike Bibby

JJJ (Jackson): Marquisse Chriss

Porter: Joe Johnson

Carter: David West

Mikal Bridges: Khris Middleton

Miles Bridges: Stanley Johnson

SGA: Frank Ntilikina


Yikes...
Jerry West  
bceagle05 : 5/16/2018 11:42 am : link
made some great points about the draft during his interview on the dais yesterday - the only good part of ESPN's coverage. He said that everyone wants stars with every draft pick, but there's really only five or six true superstar players in the whole league. The goal should be to just add a good player to your team.

Everyone talks about how unlucky the Knicks have been in the lottery, but the KP pick is about as lucky as it gets. We got the second best player in that draft - someone with HOF potential - with the fourth overall pick, while the guys picked at #2/#3 have been disappointments.
RE: Jerry West  
giantsfan44ab : 5/16/2018 11:45 am : link
In comment 13965541 bceagle05 said:
Quote:
made some great points about the draft during his interview on the dais yesterday - the only good part of ESPN's coverage. He said that everyone wants stars with every draft pick, but there's really only five or six true superstar players in the whole league. The goal should be to just add a good player to your team.

Everyone talks about how unlucky the Knicks have been in the lottery, but the KP pick is about as lucky as it gets. We got the second best player in that draft - someone with HOF potential - with the fourth overall pick, while the guys picked at #2/#3 have been disappointments.


To me West is just saying something without saying anything. how does that change a draft strategy approach to anything. Good players and great players all exhibit similar skills, it's just great players have more of them.
I don't think it had to do with draft strategy necessarily  
bceagle05 : 5/16/2018 11:50 am : link
just about lowering expectations. He has the 12th and 13th picks, so maybe he was speaking to his fan base a little, too.
No way porter falls to 9  
GMEN46 : 5/16/2018 1:05 pm : link
Just curious if Porter was there at 6 or 7 and Knicks really wanted him as their guy, what is thhe cost for that kind of move? I have no idea in the NBA. I am assuming probably a future protected 1st and some 2nds?
RE: No way porter falls to 9  
giantsfan44ab : 5/16/2018 1:06 pm : link
In comment 13965675 GMEN46 said:
Quote:
Just curious if Porter was there at 6 or 7 and Knicks really wanted him as their guy, what is thhe cost for that kind of move? I have no idea in the NBA. I am assuming probably a future protected 1st and some 2nds?


That or Frank.
RE: No way porter falls to 9  
Enzo : 5/16/2018 1:14 pm : link
In comment 13965675 GMEN46 said:
Quote:
Just curious if Porter was there at 6 or 7 and Knicks really wanted him as their guy, what is thhe cost for that kind of move? I have no idea in the NBA. I am assuming probably a future protected 1st and some 2nds?

doesn't happen all that often. But a few years ago the Sixers dropped down to 12 from 10 and got a future #1 and a #2.
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner