Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Howard Cross III to play DL at Notre Dame

Beezer : 5/15/2018 10:34 am
Not sure if this has been posted. I believe it was announced last month (looked around this morning and saw a Chicago Tribune article dated April 22).

But more than just the announcement, I liked this article. More from Dad's perspective.

Gotta love our old TE.

Quote:
“I’ve listened to parents my kids’ whole lives talk about having high expectations for their kids to play beyond the Rec League, YMCA or whatever. I just never did that. I was like, ‘Just have fun and enjoy it. If you grow into something, you grow into something.’ But I never went down the path of special training sessions or ‘You’re going to get there.’ That’s not the way. I don’t prescribe to that.”


Good stuff.
Link - ( New Window )
Ol' stone hands Cross  
antdog24 : 5/15/2018 10:53 am : link
but the guy could block like a left tackle. He was one of my favorite unsung heroes from those 80s teams.
I recall seeing him at the old stadium  
Beezer : 5/15/2018 10:57 am : link
some years ago, after a Giants OT win over the Falcons. He was on the main concourse, with a throng of people around him, signing programs, whatever. I didn't stop, but I remember how he seemed very attentive and friendly with everyone. Seems like a really good dude.
Guy is a really friendly guy  
Essex : 5/15/2018 11:00 am : link
I was once at a birthday party in a restaurant in the West Village and he was also at the same party and he told me his best sports moment was a TD he scored at Alabama against Notre Dame. The implication I got was that he hated Notre Dame, now his son is going there. The circle of life. Good luck to Howard and his kid!
RE: Guy is a really friendly guy  
njm : 5/15/2018 11:11 am : link
In comment 13964184 Essex said:
Quote:
I was once at a birthday party in a restaurant in the West Village and he was also at the same party and he told me his best sports moment was a TD he scored at Alabama against Notre Dame. The implication I got was that he hated Notre Dame, now his son is going there. The circle of life. Good luck to Howard and his kid!


His son goes to St. Joes, so you know BC and Notre Dame would be among the suitors.
Notre Dame has been cleaning up in North Jersey  
Bobby Humphrey's Earpad : 5/15/2018 11:13 am : link
DiCosmo's kid has them as a finalist.
Nice story  
Les in TO : 5/15/2018 8:26 pm : link
Sounds like Cross who was a solid tight end for a number of years is a great parent.
I played college football with HC's brother Eric at Austin Peay  
MattyKid : 5/15/2018 8:58 pm : link
Great teammate and a better person. Family is completely down to earth and humble. Very nice people
Underrated  
giantsFC : 5/16/2018 12:42 am : link
Player. He had a few seasons where he was a solid security blanket for short yardage passes.

Ferocious blocker. Possibly the best blocking TE I ever saw.
Love Howard Cross  
trueblueinpw : 5/16/2018 7:16 am : link
He’s fantastic on the radio. He was the first person I heard who pointed out how McAdoo ran 11 personnel a disproportionate number of plays. He has something interesting to say from the sidelines on almost every game day broadcast.

I met HC after a game in NE and I thought, he’s not any taller than I am. Then I shook his hand which was the size of a catchers mitt! Hands of stone, he’d tell you himself, but he could block and he was smart as heck and made the plays he had to. Super nice guy, even back then when he was so young. He’s a great New York Giant!
RE: Love Howard Cross  
Essex : 5/16/2018 9:39 am : link
In comment 13965239 trueblueinpw said:
Quote:
He’s fantastic on the radio. He was the first person I heard who pointed out how McAdoo ran 11 personnel a disproportionate number of plays. He has something interesting to say from the sidelines on almost every game day broadcast.

I met HC after a game in NE and I thought, he’s not any taller than I am. Then I shook his hand which was the size of a catchers mitt! Hands of stone, he’d tell you himself, but he could block and he was smart as heck and made the plays he had to. Super nice guy, even back then when he was so young. He’s a great New York Giant!

I agree with this, he has some excellent analysis and enjoy listening to him on the Giants radio network and that TV show he is on (can't remember if it is MSG or SNY or some other local deal).
RE: I recall seeing him at the old stadium  
FJ : 5/16/2018 10:19 am : link
In comment 13964183 Beezer said:
Quote:
some years ago, after a Giants OT win over the Falcons. He was on the main concourse, with a throng of people around him, signing programs, whatever. I didn't stop, but I remember how he seemed very attentive and friendly with everyone. Seems like a really good dude.
I've seen Howard Cross at rec football games over the years and he has always been nice and friendly.
Back to the Corner