for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Transcript: WR Brandon Marshall

Eric from BBI : Admin : 5/25/2017 3:20 pm
WR Brandon Marshall

May 25, 2017

How are you guys doing? My name is Brandon Marshall, the new wide receiver for the New York Football Giants. Letís get the business out of the way. I see some of the old Jets beat writers here. Sheldon Richardson question, go ahead and open it up.

Q: How did you feel about Sheldonís comments?

A: You know what? It was the third or fourth time that we have gone down that path and like I said, it was tough year for us, and in the National Football League, it is not unique. There are 31 other teams in that same position trying to fight to get to a Super Bowl and win a Super Bowl and it didnít happen for us. We had high hopes coming off of that first year that we were all together in 2015 and it kind of blew up in our face, so we were all disappointed.

Q: Everyone knows you guys had gotten into arguments. When he says that you were doing things and he called you out, do you know what he is talking about?

A: No, I mean I am not a perfect guy, but I worked extremely hard to get into the position that I am in today. The first couple years of my career were rough and a lot of it I did myself, hurt myself and since that point, once I figured things out, I have worked extremely hard to be a better person and extremely hard to be a better teammate, a better father, a better husband, and I am proud of where I am at today. I wake up every single day trying to make a positive impact in any room that I step into and you guys are around me every single day, so you know the type of person that I am and that is not going to change here. I am extremely excited about being in this organization. A rich history and probably a top three organization in the National Football League and maybe one of the best organizations in all of sports. You hear about it and it is a known thing across the league, but when you are in here, you can feel it. I had an opportunity to sit at the desk with Phil Simms for a few years at Showtime, Inside the NFL, and he is always talking about it. I thought that he was just blowing smoke up my butt, but this truly is a special place. The difference between this place and others is that every organization that you go to, you find a person, whether it is in the equipment room or cafeteria, that has been around 20, 25 years, but every department (here), you hear of people being here 13, 14, 15 years, 20 years, 25 years and that is special. It keeps the team together.

Q: Does it bother you, though? Hearing what Sheldon said, given all of the work that you have put in.

A: I mean, I am human, so like I said, the first couple years of my career Ė more than the first couple years, probably the first five years, I wasnít responsible with this amazing platform that we have and once I got that, which it is mental health awareness month, I ended up at McLean Hospital in a three month outpatient program. I studied dialectical behavior therapy, mentalization therapy, self-assessment. I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and that was probably the most phenomenal experience for me and the reason why is because this is just a platform to fulfill my purpose, and I truly believe that my wife and Iís purpose is to help bridge the gap in the mental health community and it makes no sense for me to walk into this organization and this locker room and blow that up because [football] is easy. I have been doing this since I was six years old. Father time will win eventually, but until then I am just going to continue to kick my own butt and work extremely hard so I can continue to have a voice. We are doing some amazing things in the community and really saving lives and we have to continue to fight the fight.

Q: What is your weight? You look slimmer.

A: I just think that when you get older it just happens. But I am 230 and I think I will play right around that.

Q: What did you play at last year?

A: Well, remember last year in camp I was on the Todd Bowles diet and I came in at 224 and I think that was a little too low. I think I played at 228, 230 last year and I think this is the right weight for me. I love it and I feel great.

Q: There has been a lot of attention given to players that arenít here. What is the mindset of the players that are here about the teammates that arenít here? And with Odell in particular, is there any concern on your part that he is not here?

A: I mean obviously when he has been here we have gotten great work and he is a special, special talent. Of course it is always good when you have your full team there, but he is out working hard. That is one thing that I notice about him, he is a freak. The first day when we were running sprints he was playing with the rest of the wide receivers. We are running extremely hard and at full capacity and he would just jog and be 10 yards in front of us and then stop and let everyone else beat him. It is just special to see this guy work. He is truly a freak. I didnít get it from afar. I just thought, yeah, he has Eli Manning and they are throwing the ball to him every single time, of course he is going to catch the ball. Then he had the one-handed catch that kind of put him on the scene, but this kid is the real deal. He is special and he is a freak. I just watch everything that he does. One day we were in the weight room and he was hanging from the bars with one hand and then fell and caught himself with the other hand on the floor. I know you canít follow what I am saying, but for him to have that type of body control is just unbelievable. He is probably the best athlete that I have ever seen. I mean he can kick a soccer ball, he can kick a football, he can throw a baseball, he can hit a baseball. I am not saying that I am envious, but dang I wish I could be him. He has cool hair, he just signed the biggest shoe deal in football history. Dang, I wish I had that, man. That is awesome.

Q: So you have worked here with him?

A: Yeah.

Q: In what context?

A: The same as the teamwork. The work that we have had. So he is not right here obviously, but I know he is handling his business and he will be ready when he comes in.

Q: Do you find yourself challenged in going up against Janoris Jenkins in practice every day?

A: Oh, absolutely. I mean I have been blessed my entire career to have that type of competition in practice. Champ Bailey, Darrent Williams, Vontae Davis in Miami, Peanut Tillman and Tim Jennings in Chicago and Darrelle Revis with the Jets and now I have three guys that can really compete and the first couple days I have really been competing against the Rabbit. I am still getting used to that name and he is special. I won one today and caught a go ball and then came back and he wiped that play out and he just shut me down on an in-cut and a 15 yard comeback. There were a few other plays where the ball didnít come our way, but it was great competition and I appreciate that because I am not going to come out here and be embarrassed. So I know that he is going to bring it every day and that means that I have to do the same or I am going to be on the film and not looking too hot.

Q: What is it like working with a bunch of younger guys like Evan Engram and Sterling Shepard?

A: Well, I think it just happens organically. With me, like I said, I have a wealth of experience that they can pull from organically and whenever that happens I am always open and happy to give advice and I just think that this is a special locker room. There is so much swag. I have never been on a team with so much swag, so much dancing, guys dressing amazing, guys with great hair. Did you see that I changed my hair this year? You see this, Seth over there. I am just trying to keep up with these guys.

Q: What is the most valuable lesson that you can give them?

A: It is an honor. It is an honor to be in the NFL. That is the biggest thing. It truly is a blessing. When I was four years old, this is what I knew I wanted to do. There wasnít a plan B. I should have had a plan B for all those kids out there listening, but I didnít and now I am here, living out my dream and going into my 12th season and that is the biggest thing that I hope they understand, is what an honor it really is.

What a great quote RE: OBJ  
Anando : 5/25/2017 3:25 pm : link
Quote:
A: I mean obviously when he has been here we have gotten great work and he is a special, special talent. Of course it is always good when you have your full team there, but he is out working hard.

That is one thing that I notice about him, he is a freak. The first day when we were running sprints he was playing with the rest of the wide receivers. We are running extremely hard and at full capacity and he would just jog and be 10 yards in front of us and then stop and let everyone else beat him. It is just special to see this guy work.

He is truly a freak. I didnít get it from afar. I just thought, yeah, he has Eli Manning and they are throwing the ball to him every single time, of course he is going to catch the ball. Then he had the one-handed catch that kind of put him on the scene, but this kid is the real deal.

He is special and he is a freak. I just watch everything that he does. One day we were in the weight room and he was hanging from the bars with one hand and then fell and caught himself with the other hand on the floor.

I know you canít follow what I am saying, but for him to have that type of body control is just unbelievable. He is probably the best athlete that I have ever seen. I mean he can kick a soccer ball, he can kick a football, he can throw a baseball, he can hit a baseball.

I am not saying that I am envious, but dang I wish I could be him. He has cool hair, he just signed the biggest shoe deal in football history. Dang, I wish I had that, man. That is awesome.
Damn  
Peter from NH (formerly CT) : 5/25/2017 3:28 pm : link
He really is an interesting guy. Overcome a lot and i am sure he has his issues but he is pretty impressive.
Clearly a locker room cancer...  
Bchurch : 5/25/2017 3:32 pm : link
.
Great Signing  
WillVAB : 5/25/2017 3:56 pm : link
Excited to see him play this year.
RE: What a great quote RE: OBJ  
Dan in the Springs : 5/25/2017 3:59 pm : link
In comment 13482511 Anando said:
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. So well said - he handled it perfectly.
Sounds like an intelligent,  
section125 : 5/25/2017 4:04 pm : link
positive and happy guy. Sounds like he is really happy to have stayed in NY/NJ.
i really like him  
LG in NYC : 5/25/2017 4:39 pm : link
I hope he lights it up for a few more years.
.  
arcarsenal : 5/25/2017 4:44 pm : link
I love Marshall. He's been one of my favorite players in this league for a long time and it's awesome the way he's matured as a person and really grown and worked hard to become a better man.

This is why people need to stop saying things like "Beckham being 24 years old isn't an excuse, he IS a grown up, etc, etc.."

Brandon Marshall @ 24 and Brandon Marshall today are very different people.

Beckham is taking his lumps but he's also under a ridiculous microscope right now and everyone is out for blood. He'll get better at handling it as he continues along his path.

And if anyone still doubts that Odell is a hard worker, all you need to do is read about how Marshall talks about him.
I wish Marshall was 25.  
Dave in Hoboken : 5/25/2017 4:50 pm : link
.
Wow.  
Mr. Bungle : 5/25/2017 5:14 pm : link
Marshall really handled the Richardson questions masterfully. He didn't merely avoid taking the bait. He went further than that. He took control of their questions and shifted the answers toward what he wanted to talk about.

I got the impression that the reporters stopped asking not because they didn't want to press the issue any further (they likely did, especially the ones on the Jets beat), but because they knew they were outmatched.

I think he's going to work out pretty well here.
I pray he can walk  
CT Charlie : 5/25/2017 5:26 pm : link
the walk. This is one of the best talk-the-talk moments I've heard from any NFL player in a long while.
RE: Wow.  
Bchurch : 5/25/2017 6:00 pm : link
In comment 13482652 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
Marshall really handled the Richardson questions masterfully. He didn't merely avoid taking the bait. He went further than that. He took control of their questions and shifted the answers toward what he wanted to talk about.

I got the impression that the reporters stopped asking not because they didn't want to press the issue any further (they likely did, especially the ones on the Jets beat), but because they knew they were outmatched.

I think he's going to work out pretty well here.


I thought the same thing... It's like a chess match with words.
RE: I wish Marshall was 25.  
chopperhatch : 5/25/2017 8:17 pm : link
In comment 13482617 Dave in Hoboken said:
Quote:
.


If he was we wouldnt have been able to afford him and he probably would have beat up ODB and then Eli for throwing the ball to him so much.
RE: RE: I wish Marshall was 25.  
Dave in Hoboken : 5/25/2017 8:20 pm : link
In comment 13482800 chopperhatch said:
Quote:
In comment 13482617 Dave in Hoboken said:


Quote:


.



If he was we wouldnt have been able to afford him and he probably would have beat up ODB and then Eli for throwing the ball to him so much.


25 with this mindset, but I know that's the not the norm these days. He'd be my favorite player on the team, that's for sure. He's a likable guy in a league with that not that many likable guys.
This sort of reminds me of  
Phil in LA : 5/25/2017 10:15 pm : link
when Pierce was signed and started making sense of everything.
Back to the Corner