Just cruising around and stumbled across this video, featuring Bill Belichick and his NFL journey. Some brief snippets of him as a Giants defensive coordinator, with interactions with Bill Parcells.
I also found a few things strangely familiar about Belichick's early time with the Patriots. A few highlights from the video:
* A locker-area interview with a clearly upset Drew Bledsoe who had just been benched in favor of the upstart and unproven late-round QB Tom Brady. Bledsoe was emotional, but handled it professionally. This scene might remind you of something.
* During one ESPN segment, the tag line at the bottom of the screen: Has Belichick lost his team?
* ESPN's Tom Jackson, in a mini-rant after Belichick had cut defensive captain Lawyer Milloy, saying "They (the Patriots players) hate their coach."
* Then during a string of clips showing Belichick's occasional unorthodox approach, we see Mike Vrabel, of all people, caching a touchdown pass. Thought that was weird, given all the recent Vrabel/head coach chatter here.
Toward the end of the video, the camera follows Belichick on a tour of the offices/lockers at the old Giants Stadium before it was demolished. Among the interesting things there:
* Standing in the defensive film room, Belichick says, "Did Lawrence fall asleep in some meetings? Yeah, he did."
* Belichick talking about interactions with Parcells, and how a lot of the time Parcells would be cool with a plan Belichick proposed. But sometimes, he wouldn't be, and his only instruction to BB would be: That plan is screwed up, fix it. Belichick said he'd ask Parcells what he'd like to do, and he'd respond that he didn't know but just fix it.
* He showed the old coaches' locker area where he, Parcells, Romeo Crenell and Tom Coughlin would hang.
* And off that, the racquetball court where he said he, Parcells and Randy Dean would play. He said the old quarterback was the best of them and would win most of the time. Head-to-head games, he said he would beat Parcells, then Parcells would go and smoke 4 cigarettes.
* Last part had Belichick standing ion a hallway, getting a bit emotional about his years spent there, trying to build his coaching career.
I hadn't seen this video before. Enjoy. Link
- ( New Window