Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Rangers getting their ass kicked

bluesince56 : 2/7/2018 9:29 pm
at home tonight. This is really a bad team
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 <<Prev | Show All |  Next>>
He's around 30 years old and just got his first big contract  
Kyle in NY : 2/8/2018 1:51 pm : link
he's not giving that up.

Hope someone claims him and if not, give him another shot with a new coaching staff. He wasn't flashy but was at least decent in Detroit and after coming over last season. Don't know why he's been so bad this season. Word was he came back out of shape
RE: If I'm Garth Snow  
MetsAreBack : 2/8/2018 1:54 pm : link
In comment 13826560 Metnut said:
Quote:
I take a long serious look at claiming Smith. Isles still have a very talented top 6 on offense but are giving up 45 or so shots a game. Smith still has above average shot suppression metrics on a bad Rangers team and was third in CA/60 for Rangers dmen. Would seem to be a gamble worth thinking about (unless the tape is just so bad). He also plays LH and Isles are lacking that at the moment, and after this year as well.


I'll pack his bags personally. I don't hate Smith, but he's a 3rd pair player and teams that want to contend can't pay third pairing D-men $4.25mm a year.

I also thought the Islanders were right on top of the cap -- can you afford him? I guess if you sent us back Seidenberg or someone else you dont want to clear up the space it could work.

With JT owed likely double his current AV this summer, I would think the Isles would rather avoid locking up money in guys like this next 3 years right now. If he only had a year or two of term left i could see it, but not 3+ years.

Note that McDavid just got a $12MM AAV... JT, currently at 5.5mm, should get at least 11mm especially with team caps expected up 10% next year. Of course, franchise players in this league continue to sign for well below their worth... consider complimentary players like Stepan, Stastny, Backes, Parise - all get 6-7mm a year... makes no fucking sense... so I'm prepared to shoot myself when JT signs a ridiculous Stamkos/Crosby *charity* deal to stay home this summer.
RE: It's unfortunately not a 50% cap savings  
MetsAreBack : 2/8/2018 1:57 pm : link
In comment 13826589 jv said:
Quote:


Quote:


Larry Brooks
@NYP_Brooksie
Rangers would save pro-rated $1.025m on cap if, as expected, Smith clears and is assigned to AHL.



His cap hit for the Rangers would become about $3.3 Million



Brutal. I know nobody bats 1000%, but our GMs simply make too many mistakes.
They aren't in the best spot  
Metnut : 2/8/2018 1:59 pm : link
cap wise (JT, Bailey and CdH all need to be signed) so it wouldn't be easy. That being said, a ton of money is coming off the books after this year too. The Isles might let CdH walk, so you'd have to hope that Smith was just in a bad situation. Not saying the Isles are a better situation, but sometimes a change of scenery can make a big difference.

Either way, even if they pass on Smith, they need to do something about the D situation.
RE: They aren't in the best spot  
KWhite2250 : 2/8/2018 2:01 pm : link
In comment 13826619 Metnut said:
Quote:
cap wise (JT, Bailey and CdH all need to be signed) so it wouldn't be easy. That being said, a ton of money is coming off the books after this year too. The Isles might let CdH walk, so you'd have to hope that Smith was just in a bad situation. Not saying the Isles are a better situation, but sometimes a change of scenery can make a big difference.

Either way, even if they pass on Smith, they need to do something about the D situation.


They passed on Paul Martin and Cody Franson, who arent anything special but are better than the shit we put out, pretty sure they will pass on Smith as well. Garth Snow only works in the offseason
RE: Rangers have called up Pionk  
MetsAreBack : 2/8/2018 2:11 pm : link
In comment 13826402 Phil in LA said:
Quote:
and the beats say Gorton and Sather have a meeting later. So the sell off might be starting soon.


Why is Sather still involved? Just go away.

The Rangers are already asking us season ticket holders for prepayment for next season - two months earlier than usual. They havent even decided yet what the ticket prices will go to. Forgive me if I wait this one out before signing the dotted line... next year could be really ugly as far as ticket sales for Dolan.
RE: Some letter was sent out  
gmen9892 : 2/8/2018 2:12 pm : link
In comment 13826595 bxgiants4 said:
Quote:
Basically letting us know that the rangers are sellers


As a Ranger fan, this is so refreshing. They were up front and honest about what they were going to do. This team needs to be retooled. Music to Ranger fans ears and it was very well-worded IMO.
I just hope Gorton does this fire sale thing better than Sather did  
Greg from LI : 2/8/2018 2:17 pm : link
The last time the Rangers were sellers was 2004. They dealt a ton of veterans away and got virtually nothing of value in return:

Leetch to Toronto for Maxim Kondratiev, Jarkko Immonen, and a second round pick which ended up being Mike Sauer (sniff)

Kovalev to Montreal for Josef Balej and a second (who never made the NHL)

Nedved and Jussi Markkanen to Edmonton for Dwight Helminen, Steve Valiquette, and a second (Dane Byers, played about 10 NHL games)

Martin Rucinsky to Vancouver for RJ Umberger and Martin Grenier, neither of whom ever played for them.

Malakhov to Philly for someone named Rick Kozak and second. The second was later dealt to the late Atlanta Thrashers who used it to pick.....Ondrej Pavelec!

Greg DeVries to Ottawa for Karel Rachunek and Alexander Giroux

Chris Simon to Calgary for Jamie McLennan, Greg Moore, and Blair Betts

Matt Barnaby for Dave Liffiton and Chris McAllister.

A whole lot of deals that accomplished absolutely nothing.
RE: RE: Some letter was sent out  
MetsAreBack : 2/8/2018 2:20 pm : link
In comment 13826679 gmen9892 said:
Quote:
In comment 13826595 bxgiants4 said:


Quote:


Basically letting us know that the rangers are sellers




When did it go out? A letter or an email? I havent gotten anything in my email inbox.

Talk is cheap - Dolan raised my ticket prices from $95 in 2010 to $166 this year. If we're rebuilding, fine, but i expect my ticket prices down 10% next year then.
it's on twitter  
Greg from LI : 2/8/2018 2:21 pm : link
.
Link - ( New Window )
It probably wont keep Dolan from making a move  
MetsAreBack : 2/8/2018 2:36 pm : link
but Vigneault does still have 2 years, $8.5 million left on his deal.

Would love to understand, coming off an embarrassing season and ass-kicking to Pittsburgh in the prior year stanley cup playoffs.. why they felt the need to extend him last january when he still had 1.5 years left on his deal.

Again, i remain stumped by too many decisions made by this team - whatever the Gorton/Sather team is and who does what.
...  
BrettNYG10 : 2/8/2018 2:58 pm : link
Have to think McDonagh and/or Zucc are going if they have a press conference like this.
RE: I just hope Gorton does this fire sale thing better than Sather did  
old man : 2/8/2018 2:59 pm : link
In comment 13826714 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
The last time the Rangers were sellers was 2004. They dealt a ton of veterans away and got virtually nothing of value in return:

Leetch to Toronto for Maxim Kondratiev, Jarkko Immonen, and a second round pick which ended up being Mike Sauer (sniff)

Kovalev to Montreal for Josef Balej and a second (who never made the NHL)

Nedved and Jussi Markkanen to Edmonton for Dwight Helminen, Steve Valiquette, and a second (Dane Byers, played about 10 NHL games)

Martin Rucinsky to Vancouver for RJ Umberger and Martin Grenier, neither of whom ever played for them.

Malakhov to Philly for someone named Rick Kozak and second. The second was later dealt to the late Atlanta Thrashers who used it to pick.....Ondrej Pavelec!

Greg DeVries to Ottawa for Karel Rachunek and Alexander Giroux

Chris Simon to Calgary for Jamie McLennan, Greg Moore, and Blair Betts

Matt Barnaby for Dave Liffiton and Chris McAllister.

A whole lot of deals that accomplished absolutely nothing.


A whole roster full of failure right there. That's an amazing amount of garbage now that its been displayed.
AV has to go.
Now its a press conference?  
MetsAreBack : 2/8/2018 3:02 pm : link
thought it was just a letter.

Nash might be the player they meant with 'care about and respect' I dont think Grabner has been around long enough to necessarily qualify.

But 'this tradeline AND INTO THE SUMMER' means this isnt as simple folks as trading Nash and Grabner and bringing them back in July and going for it next year... this is going to be a legit rebuild.

That's how i'm reading it anyway, and i'm fine with that actually... but embrace it and dont cut corners. Trade Zucc, McD, go back to Hank again, probably Hayes... and dont buy out players that will cost you 4-6 years from now.
They had a press conference this afternoon.  
BrettNYG10 : 2/8/2018 3:06 pm : link
.
RE: They had a press conference this afternoon.  
MetsAreBack : 2/8/2018 3:08 pm : link
In comment 13826875 BrettNYG10 said:
Quote:
.


Ok then, well now they're just being drama queens. Get it done and move on.
RE: Now its a press conference?  
Greg from LI : 2/8/2018 4:17 pm : link
In comment 13826863 MetsAreBack said:
Quote:
thought it was just a letter.

Nash might be the player they meant with 'care about and respect' I dont think Grabner has been around long enough to necessarily qualify.


Zuccarello is who came to mind for me. Pretty long tenured Ranger at this point, fan favorite.
RE: RE: Now its a press conference?  
pjcas18 : 2/8/2018 4:22 pm : link
In comment 13827028 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
In comment 13826863 MetsAreBack said:


Quote:


thought it was just a letter.

Nash might be the player they meant with 'care about and respect' I dont think Grabner has been around long enough to necessarily qualify.



Zuccarello is who came to mind for me. Pretty long tenured Ranger at this point, fan favorite.


I assumed Zuccarello, Lundqvist, and/or McDonagh since most people assume Nash, Grabner, Holden, etc. anyone who is a FA after the season is a solid candidate for a sell off.
So anyone watch the press conference?  
Greg from LI : 2/8/2018 4:23 pm : link
BSB comments think it indicated that AV is a goner after the season.
they can't trade Lundqvist, though  
Greg from LI : 2/8/2018 4:24 pm : link
Not if you believe Henrik's repeated comments that he will be a Ranger till the day he retires no matter how bad the team might be in the future. Maybe he could be convinced otherwise, but he's been pretty consistent so far that he'll never approve a trade.
Probably true  
pjcas18 : 2/8/2018 4:28 pm : link
I did read him say he was ok with a rebuild, I just think if the FO looks at him getting yanked for the 4 time in 2018 (or whatever it's been) as an indictment of him not just AV or the rest of the team they could ask him to waive his NMC.

I can't put myself in player's shoes to say what they'd do, bu I personally cannot imagine saying no to a team that asked me to do that. If they don't want me somewhere I can't imaging forcing them to keep me, contract or not.

I may find a way to get more $$$ out of it, if possible, but I can't see me forcing my way to stay somewhere even if it's my contractual right (though I'm also not a egocentric professional hockey player).
SNY has the transcript  
NYerInMA : 2/8/2018 5:17 pm : link
of the presser
Everything that Jeff Gorton and Glen Sather said on Thursday - ( New Window )
some of this stuff is refreshing, very un-Mara like  
ColHowPepper : 2/8/2018 6:17 pm : link
e.g., where it comes to the impact of injuries:

[i]Did injuries change things, "we have a lot of them but to say that we are in that spot because of injuries, I'm not here to say that. We aren't going to say that. We haven't played well. What you are seeing on the ice is not what we hoped for and that is basically where we are.....

On where the organization is, "I would say that we definitely thought we would be better than this. When we made the trade that we did in the summer time to get the 7th pick overall and traded a pretty good player in Stepan, we knew we were resetting it. As the season has developed, like I said, it hasn't gone the way we wanted it to go and it will force us into some decisions to think long term and start to try to rebuild and build a Stanley Cup contender."
.  
arcarsenal : 2/8/2018 8:20 pm : link
So, who's the first to go?

Zuccarello? To Calgary?
Arc  
brunswick : 2/8/2018 8:28 pm : link
You hearing something?
I have to think faster is better on this  
MetsAreBack : 2/9/2018 11:39 am : link
usually your best offer is your first one... and while they play meaningless games here, they could get hurt. According to that article above, a lot of scouts were at our last game (i'm sure these players looked good losing 6-1)... never understand why scouts need to see a game live to assess a veteran player.

The rumored asking price for Nash of a first + top prospect + middle round pick/mid tier prospect is a joke... all teams try this, be it Duchene or Buflygien a few years ago or Patches ... never understood why.

Just start out realistic and manage fan/other teams expectations from the get go. The market is going to bid what it perceives as fair value regardless.
RE: I have to think faster is better on this  
pjcas18 : 2/9/2018 11:47 am : link
In comment 13827567 MetsAreBack said:
Quote:
usually your best offer is your first one... and while they play meaningless games here, they could get hurt. According to that article above, a lot of scouts were at our last game (i'm sure these players looked good losing 6-1)... never understand why scouts need to see a game live to assess a veteran player.

The rumored asking price for Nash of a first + top prospect + middle round pick/mid tier prospect is a joke... all teams try this, be it Duchene or Buflygien a few years ago or Patches ... never understood why.

Just start out realistic and manage fan/other teams expectations from the get go. The market is going to bid what it perceives as fair value regardless.


I agree with you in principle but Duchene may not be the best example. And he, like Pacioretty as opposed to Nash and Evander Kane, has another year on his contract.

Duchene netted:
Girard (decent prospect)
Kamenev (decent prospect)
Bowers (decent prospect)
2018 1st, 2nd, and 2019 3rd round picks

so they didn't get a high end prospect per se, but Girard is pretty good, right now playing top 6 D minutes in the NHL at 19 years old.

I would be lying if I said I know the other prospects that well but Bowers is at BU and was a 1st round pick in 2017.


Dude at the BSB comments has been claiming he's hearing  
Greg from LI : 2/9/2018 11:48 am : link
Zuccarello to Dallas rumors.
Not surprisingly, and unfortunately  
MetsAreBack : 2/9/2018 1:25 pm : link
Smith cleared waivers and is now a member of the WolfPack.

Not... Gorton's finest hour.
Rangers  
jv : 2/9/2018 1:32 pm : link
have recalled John Gilmour. Won fastest skater in AHL All Star Game. Has had a good season in Hartford.

Does this mean something is already happening? Hopefully..
Pretty cool article on the Islander/Rangers goaltending prospects.  
BrettNYG10 : 2/9/2018 1:36 pm : link
.
In Goal Mag - ( New Window )
Gilmour, Pionk, whoever  
Greg from LI : 2/9/2018 1:38 pm : link
The defense already is horrid - what do they have to lose by giving these guys a chance?
excellent find, Brett  
Greg from LI : 2/9/2018 1:42 pm : link
Mainly because it argues that Shestyorkin is the more likely to succeed in North America :)
RE: excellent find, Brett  
BrettNYG10 : 2/9/2018 1:47 pm : link
In comment 13827708 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
Mainly because it argues that Shestyorkin is the more likely to succeed in North America :)


Ha! I'm excited to see the Rangers have another wasted 15 years of elite goaltending.

I would have liked to see Graves called up as well.
I mean ... have we seen Hartford's record this year?  
MetsAreBack : 2/9/2018 1:58 pm : link
I'm fine bringing these kids up and getting them exposure... and more excited that it will mean we should be able to plummet maybe into the top 5.

(of course, when was the last time NYR/NYK did well in a lottery? Dolan's a dick... but man his teams cant buy a break with these pong balls)

PS someone actually bought my Capitals/NYR 3/26 game on ticketexchange for above face today (and thats net of fees)... they must not be paying attention. Thank you!

they've never been high on Ryan Graves and I'm not sure why  
Greg from LI : 2/9/2018 1:58 pm : link
He's not an elite prospect, of course, but he seems like a kid who could hold his own on the third pairing better than Holden or, god help us, Kampfer.
Staal  
Professor Falken : 2/9/2018 1:58 pm : link
placed on IR.
they're 22-20-4  
Greg from LI : 2/9/2018 2:04 pm : link
They're not nearly as bad as last year, and when you consider how shallow the talent is at fwd and how bad their goaltending is, I don't think that record's bad at all. They don't have any top-shelf prospects outside of Chytil and now Andersson, but they have some guys who could be useful.
RE: Staal  
Greg from LI : 2/9/2018 2:05 pm : link
In comment 13827736 Professor Falken said:
Quote:
placed on IR.


I may an asshole for saying it, but hopefully that turns into LTIR
wow... i hadnt looked in a month  
MetsAreBack : 2/9/2018 2:06 pm : link
didnt realize they were 7-0-1 over the last couple weeks
RE: RE: Staal  
MetsAreBack : 2/9/2018 2:07 pm : link
In comment 13827748 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
In comment 13827736 Professor Falken said:


Quote:


placed on IR.



I may an asshole for saying it, but hopefully that turns into LTIR


we dont need the cap space this year though so who cares (I think)
RE: Pretty cool article on the Islander/Rangers goaltending prospects.  
pganut : 2/9/2018 2:13 pm : link
In comment 13827694 BrettNYG10 said:
Quote:
. In Goal Mag - ( New Window )
Yup, nice find, Brett. Thanks.

And Greg, it wouldn't surprise me if somehow Sorokin never found his way to North America. It would be so Islanders (however, that may well be dulled when Soderstrom makes the big club). It would be, though.
RE: wow... i hadnt looked in a month  
Greg from LI : 2/9/2018 2:17 pm : link
In comment 13827750 MetsAreBack said:
Quote:
didnt realize they were 7-0-1 over the last couple weeks


Chytil getting healthy and Andersson arriving played a big part in that, I'm guessing
how far away is Soderstrom?  
Greg from LI : 2/9/2018 2:19 pm : link
Also, it would amuse me, at least, if the Isles ended up with another goalie named Soderstrom.
....  
BrettNYG10 : 2/9/2018 2:25 pm : link
Quote:
(of course, when was the last time NYR/NYK did well in a lottery? Dolan's a dick... but man his teams cant buy a break with these pong balls)


Dolan isn't paying commissioners off because he sucks.
Russia  
pjcas18 : 2/9/2018 2:25 pm : link
has 3 goalies in the top 10 overall NHL prospects (the only goalies in the top 15.

Samsonov could eventually be the best of the 3, he was the only one taken in the 1st round of the 3 I believe. He's still just 20 years old and has the best size, but he has been oversold (on his capabilities) every time I've seen him. But he is just 20.

Shestyorkin and Sorokin are both lights out in the KHL this year, but I have no clue how goalies (or anyone) play translates from KHL to NHL.

Could be a good rivalry if they come over here at the same time.
RE: how far away is Soderstrom?  
pganut : 2/9/2018 2:35 pm : link
In comment 13827775 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
Also, it would amuse me, at least, if the Isles ended up with another goalie named Soderstrom.
He'll at least be in Bridgeport to start the year. Right now coming off an abdominal surgery and has been on the shelf for HV71 in the SHL. But he won the SHL for them this past season and had won top goaltender in the 2016 WJC for Sweden previous to that. Great kid, has Asperger's, and uses his bit of celebrity to do a lot of awareness promotion. Rooting for him.
Not a bad ESPN article today  
MetsAreBack : 2/9/2018 5:45 pm : link

Agree those are probably the two (only) landing spots for Hank anytime soon, and maybe close enough to "home" that he'd consider it... but doubt it and doubt either of those teams wants to tie up 8.5 mil into their goalie next 3 years.. Rangers would have to absorb 2-3mil/year

ESPN Article - Heavy Rangers discussion - ( New Window )
Am I seeing things or is  
RodneyHamp : 2/9/2018 7:27 pm : link
Fast wearing an A on his jersey? When did that happen?
Gilmour’s skating is  
bigbluehoya : 2/9/2018 7:49 pm : link
Pretty outstanding
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 <<Prev | Show All |  Next>>
Back to the Corner