Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Snacks Harrison on Cowherd

Daniel in Kentucky : 2/20/2018 4:59 pm
Discussed his favorite snacks.
That Eli Apple needs to grow up!
OBJ is always giving 100%! Heís the real deal.
He didnít want to be a captain last year because he saw a lot of guys who werenít all in. Didnít want to lead men who were only there for the check.

Wow!
That last comment bothers me.  
robbieballs2003 : 2/20/2018 5:01 pm : link
He has never been a leader by his own words but now he is saying he would have been a leader if it was easy? Come on. Fuck. We need some true leaders on this team.
Link  
Daniel in Kentucky : 2/20/2018 5:03 pm : link
.
Link - ( New Window )
This team is a disaster  
Go Terps : 2/20/2018 5:09 pm : link
.
People really misunderstand leadership  
blueblood : 2/20/2018 5:15 pm : link
There are basically several types of people..

Those who have leadership ability, discover it and become leaders because its who they are.

Those who have the desire to lead but not the ability.

Those who has the ability to lead but not the desire.

Those who have none of the above.

And even if you are a leader and have the ability.. people STILL have to want to be lead. Following leadership isnt automatic.

RE: People really misunderstand leadership  
robbieballs2003 : 2/20/2018 5:17 pm : link
In comment 13837433 blueblood said:
Quote:
There are basically several types of people..

Those who have leadership ability, discover it and become leaders because its who they are.

Those who have the desire to lead but not the ability.

Those who has the ability to lead but not the desire.

Those who have none of the above.

And even if you are a leader and have the ability.. people STILL have to want to be lead. Following leadership isnt automatic.


Who misunderstands leadership?
I think many people do.  
blueblood : 2/20/2018 5:37 pm : link
I dont think most people understand what makes a good leader.

I dont think they understand how leaders are made.

Even those who have an innate ability to become leaders normally have something that transpires in their life that causes them to become who they become.

Leaders arent always the ones out in front..being the face and the most vocal. They can definitely be behind the scenes. They can lead through example.

I believe the other thing that people misunderstand is that you will always have people in every environment that will not embrace being led. The rebels. The goats.. They butt and kick against everything.. Just because you have leaders doesnt mean everyone and everything falls in line either.

sometimes it gets worse before  
mdc1 : 2/20/2018 5:41 pm : link
it gets better. The new leadership is now clean Aegean stables and it is going to be bad...
robbieballs: Respect you as a poster and don't agree with you.  
idinkido : 2/20/2018 5:45 pm : link
Snacks wasn't in confession and bearing his heart out, so you may not really know the issues, personnel/coaching, that concerned him. Also being a leader can take a lot out of a player who plays at the level snacks does, because he is already playing at max effort, and it takes a lot out of a player leader when his teammates have just given up. I think you may want to rethink your opinion on this and give him the benefit of the doubt.
RE: robbieballs: Respect you as a poster and don't agree with you.  
robbieballs2003 : 2/20/2018 5:54 pm : link
In comment 13837453 idinkido said:
Quote:
Snacks wasn't in confession and bearing his heart out, so you may not really know the issues, personnel/coaching, that concerned him. Also being a leader can take a lot out of a player who plays at the level snacks does, because he is already playing at max effort, and it takes a lot out of a player leader when his teammates have just given up. I think you may want to rethink your opinion on this and give him the benefit of the doubt.


Agree to disagree. I like Snacks the player but don't go on tv, radio, etc. and point fingers at others as to the reason you didn't "lead" this team. Leadership is most needed in times of adversity. It doesn't take days off. If you don't want to be a leader then that is fine. He is a hell of a player and the least of our worries. But, please, stop blaming others for your decisions. Excuses are excuses and we need to start looking for solitions. And, like I said, Snacks has said numerous times he's not a leader and doesn't want to be. I never had an issue with that because that is apparently who he is so stop point fingers at anybody but yourself as the reason.
And isn't this the same player that called out Banks to  
robbieballs2003 : 2/20/2018 5:57 pm : link
"put a name" to the players that quit and told Banks to do something about it? Banks went right back at him and said it was not his responsibility anymore since he did his job duriny his career. Now, Snacks is calling guys out because they were only there for the checks? Maybe he should start putting names to the players.
RE: I think many people do.  
mrvax : 2/20/2018 6:00 pm : link
In comment 13837446 blueblood said:
Quote:
I dont think most people understand what makes a good leader.

I dont think they understand how leaders are made.

Even those who have an innate ability to become leaders normally have something that transpires in their life that causes them to become who they become.

Leaders arent always the ones out in front..being the face and the most vocal. They can definitely be behind the scenes. They can lead through example.

I believe the other thing that people misunderstand is that you will always have people in every environment that will not embrace being led. The rebels. The goats.. They butt and kick against everything.. Just because you have leaders doesnt mean everyone and everything falls in line either.


My 2 cents from life experience: There will always be good and bad leaders. You can tell them apart easily. If you are like me and don't particularly like being led, if the leader is good, you shut up and support them 100%.

Then you have another small group of people that will do anything they can get away with to denigrate leaders which results in problems within the unit. I believe most of these pukes are known today as assholes. These assholes are actually jealous of a leader and secretly wish they were in charge.

My opinion is largely based on my 4 years in the USMC but I see this also in the corporate world. Bet it's similar in a football locker room.
On a side note...  
Daniel in Kentucky : 2/20/2018 6:01 pm : link
I had row 1 tickets in the visitors bench at the Browns game two years ago.
Odell looked like a man among boys watching it live and being so close. It was a difference expierence; I usually sit in the cheap seats. He didnít stop moving the entire time he was on the field. From pregame to the game to when he ran into the locker room. So I 2nd that! He is a rare talent and if you never saw a football game you would be on the sideline saying, ďThatís the best player in the field!Ē

In spite of all the drama Odell brings he really really cares, doesnít give up and is a winner. If half the players on the Giants cared half as much as he does we wouldnít be picking in the top 20.
It's not on Snacks to lead the team  
RobCrossRiver56 : 2/20/2018 6:09 pm : link
All he has to do is play as per his contract. We all saw his play on the field.

Snacks didn't pick the players around him.

BTW, he never mentioned his top 2 snacks after #5 Rice Krispy treats #4 Pickle chips #3 Hot fries
Is playing per the contract  
Bill L : 2/20/2018 6:12 pm : link
distinct from being there just for the check?
.  
arcarsenal : 2/20/2018 6:13 pm : link
I really don't think the awful job McAdoo did here this past season can be understated.

Just a horrendous coaching job. The guy had no control whatsoever over this football team.

Shurmur is going to have to really re-establish some leadership here.
leadership is overrated...  
Dan in the Springs : 2/20/2018 6:15 pm : link
followership is more often needed and just as important.

Many leaders check out if they sense that their leadership will not be effective. Doesn't mean they can't be a good leader, just means they know enough to tell when they should press forward as a leader or step back into a follower's role.

It's easy to say that a good leader will always lead, but I believe the best leaders preserve their leadership capital for the most critical times and they build that capital by demonstrating followership and effectiveness.

RE: .  
Bill L : 2/20/2018 6:23 pm : link
In comment 13837485 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
I really don't think the awful job McAdoo did here this past season can be understated.

Just a horrendous coaching job. The guy had no control whatsoever over this football team.

Shurmur is going to have to really re-establish some leadership here.
i get it. But still canít understand how things could sink that badly in A seasonand a half. How could just the thought of McAdoo make people come to camp wanting to simply mail it in.
Snacks manhandled centers and guards all season  
RobCrossRiver56 : 2/20/2018 6:24 pm : link
What's he supposed to do, coach up Eli Apple too
RE: RE: .  
arcarsenal : 2/20/2018 6:29 pm : link
In comment 13837492 Bill L said:
Quote:
In comment 13837485 arcarsenal said:


Quote:


I really don't think the awful job McAdoo did here this past season can be understated.

Just a horrendous coaching job. The guy had no control whatsoever over this football team.

Shurmur is going to have to really re-establish some leadership here.

i get it. But still canít understand how things could sink that badly in A seasonand a half. How could just the thought of McAdoo make people come to camp wanting to simply mail it in.


All it takes sometimes is one domino to fall, and the rest follow quickly.

Leadership issues typically don't arise during winning seasons, which is why we didn't hear any of this in 2016.

But it seemed like problems started to spread like wildfire as soon as this past season started going down the tubes (basically right from the start)

Players like Apple deserve their own blame. But I think McAdoo did a truly awful job at leading this football team and seemed to have no idea how to handle things in-house or address issues. I don't think many of these guys truly respected him.
Did the players become an issue because the season was lost  
Bill L : 2/20/2018 6:32 pm : link
Or was the season lost because the players were always the issue?
....  
Toth029 : 2/20/2018 6:34 pm : link
Constant baiting by Cowherd to get Snacks to rip Beckham.

Media always does with Giants' players. But we've heard they love him, and they continue to try.
I love that not a single player yet has had a bad thing to say  
Ten Ton Hammer : 2/20/2018 6:35 pm : link
to feed that bullshit narrative.
.  
arcarsenal : 2/20/2018 6:38 pm : link
Heh, yep. It's funny. All of these people keep digging trying to get a Giants player to bad mouth Beckham or give them something to run with and every guy just keeps talking about what a hard-worker and great teammate he is.
I think what he said was the truth  
George from PA : 2/20/2018 7:15 pm : link
So not sure what was so bad.

If he did not think he could make Eli Apple a man...knowing ones limits is not a fault.

I suspect he saw the same thing on the Jets.

I hope the trouble makers have a short lease
I just wish all these guys would shut the fuck up  
Go Terps : 2/20/2018 7:18 pm : link
Harrison is our best player, but he was still part of a 3-13 team.

Back to back years our two biggest rivals have been the #1 seed in the NFC, and both despite losing their starting quarterback. Meanwhile our team has been rife with bickering, excuse making, rationalization, and idiotic behavior.

Fuck off already.
RE: I just wish all these guys would shut the fuck up  
Sean : 2/20/2018 7:22 pm : link
In comment 13837535 Go Terps said:
Quote:
Harrison is our best player, but he was still part of a 3-13 team.

Back to back years our two biggest rivals have been the #1 seed in the NFC, and both despite losing their starting quarterback. Meanwhile our team has been rife with bickering, excuse making, rationalization, and idiotic behavior.

Fuck off already.


Well, this is why a new regime is in charge. It isnít going to get fixed overnight.
RE: .  
Keith : 2/20/2018 7:25 pm : link
In comment 13837507 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
Heh, yep. It's funny. All of these people keep digging trying to get a Giants player to bad mouth Beckham or give them something to run with and every guy just keeps talking about what a hard-worker and great teammate he is.


Yet fans still run with the bad teammate narrative.

Itís very bizarre how this kid brings out the hate in so many people. I just donít get it...seems like a good person, good teammate(has anyone ever even hinted otherwise?), has fun playing and sometimes letís his emotions get the best of him. Yet a small fraction of giants fans despise him.

The best is this clown thinks weíd be lucky to get a first for the best wr in football who is 25 freakin years old. Weíd have 31 trade offers if thatís all it took.
RE: I just wish all these guys would shut the fuck up  
Kyle in NY : 2/20/2018 7:26 pm : link
In comment 13837535 Go Terps said:
Quote:
Harrison is our best player, but he was still part of a 3-13 team.

Back to back years our two biggest rivals have been the #1 seed in the NFC, and both despite losing their starting quarterback. Meanwhile our team has been rife with bickering, excuse making, rationalization, and idiotic behavior.

Fuck off already.


Such a ridiculous, cantankerous take. These guys are not the emtionlesss robots you want them to be. Theyíre allowed to express themselves and donít have to spend their long offseason keeping quiet and ďshutting the fuck up.Ē

Donít take this all so seriously, itís a harmless interview
He didn't want to be a captain because not everybody was all-in??  
Jimmy Googs : 2/20/2018 7:30 pm : link
There were players on this team last summer that were not optimistic for the 2017 season and what they could achieve?

something sounds odd...
Sounds like snacks is trying  
Keith : 2/20/2018 7:31 pm : link
to distance himself from last years team.
3-13  
Go Terps : 2/20/2018 7:32 pm : link
This is the worst team we've had since we were all learning about Watergate. The fucking Eagles are the champs, and our players are calling each other out in public.

If we shouldn't be cantankerous now, when should we be?
...  
christian : 2/20/2018 7:36 pm : link
The bar where interpersonal behavior impacts performance is pretty high in sports. The results are so quantified, you either perform or not.

It's very different than business or other walks of life, where nuance, relationships and fit dictate advancement and trust.

Plenty of the last generation of champs for this team were/are kind of assholes.

Michael Boley, Amani Toomer, Michael Strahan, Ahmad Bradshaw, Eli Manning -- just to name a few who have had pretty crummy actions off the field reported. If a team can survive dudes with potential real character flaws, the team will survive a player running his mouth a little in an interview.
.  
arcarsenal : 2/20/2018 7:41 pm : link
All of this bullshit is just the product of a losing season.

Barely a word was said about Eli Apple's personality in 2016. No one was talking about Janoris Jenkins "quitting," or whether or not Damon Harrison is capable of being a leader.

It just comes with the territory.

Put a better team on the field with better coaching and most of that vanishes on its own.

No one wins in this league by putting the most likable 22 guys on the field.
Just based on the OP...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 2/20/2018 8:05 pm : link
What's so controversial about what he said?

Apple does need to grow up.
Odell isn't the cancer that people make him out to be.
He could tell that people were checking out. Does anyone dispute that?
Snacks played his ass off in a lost cause of a season  
UberAlias : 2/20/2018 8:17 pm : link
What more do you want? Stop nit picking. We need more players like snacks, not led.
His last comment tells me this...  
EricJ : 2/20/2018 8:40 pm : link
the organization for the most part has stunk from top to bottom. Poor player selections to find guys who do not have the heart to play hard every game and every play. Poor coaching selections... on and on.
RE: robbieballs: Respect you as a poster and don't agree with you.  
djstat : 2/20/2018 11:20 pm : link
In comment 13837453 idinkido said:
Quote:
Snacks wasn't in confession and bearing his heart out, so you may not really know the issues, personnel/coaching, that concerned him. Also being a leader can take a lot out of a player who plays at the level snacks does, because he is already playing at max effort, and it takes a lot out of a player leader when his teammates have just given up. I think you may want to rethink your opinion on this and give him the benefit of the doubt.
. Thatís a crock. Playing at a high level takes a lot out of you? Bull. Ray Lewis, Michael Strahan, Justin Tuck, Jerry Rice, Tom Brady, Richard Sherman, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning all play at a very high level and lead. Snacks doesnít have leadership ability because he has no desire. Potential maybe, but not abilityís. Good Player piss poor leader. Most of todayís NFL player are like Snacks. Selfish
Very good player  
trueblueinpw : 2/20/2018 11:31 pm : link
Snacks is super solid on the field. He seems like he has some trouble saying the right things, the Twitter thing with CB during the season comes to mind. But I donít think heís a bad guy or a problem, maybe not a leader with the rah rah but he balls out every down. On the field, heís a proís pro. Hard not to like him when he keeps his pie hole shut.
RE: RE: People really misunderstand leadership  
Ten Ton Hammer : 2/20/2018 11:46 pm : link
In comment 13837435 robbieballs2003 said:
Quote:

Who misunderstands leadership?


It happens all the tim. Some equate "best player" with "leader" and that's certainly not always true. Other times it's the guy that seems to yell the loudest. Whoever fits the impression of what we think a leader is supposed to be. Fans looking from a distance don't always have their finger on who it is that players have respect for and listen to.
djstat: So now you are calling out Snacks as selfish  
idinkido : 2/21/2018 2:34 am : link
because he would not assume a leadership role? Not all players and not all people are natural born leaders and yet are still great in their jobs and are not selfish. Remember, the Giants drafted all these guys who were suppose to be captains on their college teams to build a team with strong character. We all know something really went off the tracks. We ended up with a team full of quitters. To say Snacks should have led in that mess and since he didn't makes him selfish is not fair to Snacks.
I wonder  
NikkiMac : 2/21/2018 6:30 am : link
Do the patriots players talk all this shit I donít think so

I donít pay attention to their websites but I never see theyíre players on

NFL network or anything talking all this shit I think they would be cut if

They do. B.B.doesnt go for that !
Just because he said he didn't  
bc4life : 2/21/2018 6:33 am : link
want to be Captain, does not mean he did not exert leadership.
Dan in the Springs  
bc4life : 2/21/2018 6:34 am : link
You obviously know something about the subject.
I the Giants have mostly been  
joeinpa : 2/21/2018 7:08 am : link
A losing franchise since their last Super Bowl in 11.

Losing permeates an organization. What Snacks said about that locker room should not surprise anyone.

The writing was there..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 2/21/2018 9:08 am : link
but got glossed over because of an initial playoff season:

Quote:
i get it. But still canít understand how things could sink that badly in A seasonand a half. How could just the thought of McAdoo make people come to camp wanting to simply mail it in.


Basically, we saw the progression:
- Guy who ascended the ranks to OC never had too much of a spotlight on him
- Gets job and doesn't recognize teh magnitude of the spotlight, hence the 80's style haircut, the porn stache and the clown suit.
- Rides his first season on the heels of a dominant D, his offense ranking poorly
- Starts creating the narrative that the system is fine but the QB is mucking things up
- Despite the unimaginative year 1 offense with a pitiful output, he doesn't make many changes to remedy the offense and goes all-in on placing the blame on Eli
- Transforms look to Gordon Gecko/Pat Riley douchiness
- Defense starts to implode. The 0-5 start leading to multiple suspensions and the appearance of players quitting
- Not recognizing the pulse of the team, he keeps bantering on about the Duke, heavy-handedness and throws support to the OL while sniping at the QB
- Not understanding the possible effect, he handles the benching of Eli in possibly the worst way imaginable and cemented his fate

He fucked up on so many levels because he wasn't prepared to be a leader. Wasn't prepared to handle the Media and wasn't prepared on the qualities needed to handle adversity. He blindly stuck to a system that produced two years of solidly poor output and instead of realizing that the system sucked, he threw shade elsewhere.
RE: That last comment bothers me.  
ATL_Giants : 2/21/2018 9:22 am : link
In comment 13837426 robbieballs2003 said:
Quote:
He has never been a leader by his own words but now he is saying he would have been a leader if it was easy? Come on. Fuck. We need some true leaders on this team.

It's alright man. We're lucky to have Snacks.
Robbie  
JOrthman : 2/21/2018 4:16 pm : link
I'm with you...the his words about leadership seem off.
RE: This team is a disaster  
djm : 2/21/2018 7:08 pm : link
In comment 13837431 Go Terps said:
Quote:
.


Was. Let's see what goes down in 2018.
Good write up FMIC  
Bluesbreaker : 2/22/2018 2:22 pm : link
We have to put last season in the rear view mirror it's a
new regime there gonna do there best to get the offense
rolling and weed out the bad Apples who is also getting a
clean slate I am excited about the draft and a new season
Harrison does his talking on the field least of our worries
RE: The writing was there..  
Matt M. : 2/22/2018 2:26 pm : link
In comment 13837793 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
but got glossed over because of an initial playoff season:



Quote:


i get it. But still canít understand how things could sink that badly in A seasonand a half. How could just the thought of McAdoo make people come to camp wanting to simply mail it in.



Basically, we saw the progression:
- Guy who ascended the ranks to OC never had too much of a spotlight on him
- Gets job and doesn't recognize teh magnitude of the spotlight, hence the 80's style haircut, the porn stache and the clown suit.
- Rides his first season on the heels of a dominant D, his offense ranking poorly
- Starts creating the narrative that the system is fine but the QB is mucking things up
- Despite the unimaginative year 1 offense with a pitiful output, he doesn't make many changes to remedy the offense and goes all-in on placing the blame on Eli
- Transforms look to Gordon Gecko/Pat Riley douchiness
- Defense starts to implode. The 0-5 start leading to multiple suspensions and the appearance of players quitting
- Not recognizing the pulse of the team, he keeps bantering on about the Duke, heavy-handedness and throws support to the OL while sniping at the QB
- Not understanding the possible effect, he handles the benching of Eli in possibly the worst way imaginable and cemented his fate

He fucked up on so many levels because he wasn't prepared to be a leader. Wasn't prepared to handle the Media and wasn't prepared on the qualities needed to handle adversity. He blindly stuck to a system that produced two years of solidly poor output and instead of realizing that the system sucked, he threw shade elsewhere.
Excellently put. What really irks me is that he had an offense that produced in 2014 and 2015 and got optimal production from Eli, in particular. He still called it a WCO, but the offense he ran in 2016 and 2017 while HC was much different. It was different in terms of gameplans, personnel, and playcalling. Why?
And his douchiness wasn't limited to the style change  
Matt M. : 2/22/2018 2:26 pm : link
Literally every time he spoke I liked him less and less.
RE: leadership is overrated...  
Matt M. : 2/22/2018 2:28 pm : link
In comment 13837486 Dan in the Springs said:
Quote:
followership is more often needed and just as important.

Many leaders check out if they sense that their leadership will not be effective. Doesn't mean they can't be a good leader, just means they know enough to tell when they should press forward as a leader or step back into a follower's role.

It's easy to say that a good leader will always lead, but I believe the best leaders preserve their leadership capital for the most critical times and they build that capital by demonstrating followership and effectiveness.
I understand your point, but don't wholly agree. I see the "leadership capital" perspective. But, a true leader isn't just checking out.
Matt...  
FatMan in Charlotte : 2/22/2018 2:32 pm : link
it really wasn't his offense in 2014 and 2015:

Quote:
It was different in terms of gameplans, personnel, and playcalling. Why?


It was predominantly Coughlin's as evidenced by the more vertical routes that were used.
The only thing I will say about Harrison  
Matt M. : 2/22/2018 2:33 pm : link
is this: I have no problem with someone not being comfortable leading or recognizing it is not their strength. Not everyone should be a leader and not every leader should necessarily be your best player. But, I don't like the notion of not wanting to be captain because not everyone was on board for a couple of reasons.

First, it is not likely that you have 100% of the players on the same page in any season, win or lose, at least not at the start of the season (or camp). Second, there is no way for us to know this for sure, but I have my doubts that anyone foresaw what went on before the season even started. Are we to believe there was a good number of players mailing it in before we even played a game? I don't buy it.
Back to the Corner