Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Barkley is one committed athlete...

GFAN52 : 3/7/2018 10:39 am
Quote:
Saquon Barkley has no plans to rest now

By nailing his Scouting Combine testing, Saquon Barkely earned more praise than he was already getting.

But with a demanding travel schedule in his future the next two months, the Penn State running back has no plans os taking it easy.

During an interview with Alex Marvez and Gil Brandt on SiriusXM NFL Radio, Barkley said he is putting demands on himself to keep a regular workout regimen, despite a packed schedule of media appearances, visit with teams and awards ceremonies.

“The most important thing is taking care of your body and pushing yourself to the limit so you can continue to grow not only as an athlete but as a player,” Barkley said. “Even though through all these visits I might be here and there, I find time to make sure to work out. . . .

“Not find time. Demand time.”

It’s apparent he’s done his work already, after running his 40-yard dash in 4.40 seconds, posting a 41-inch vertical leap and putting up 29 repetitions of the 225-pound bench press. That kind of explosive ability was evident in his game tape at Penn State, but last week’s performance just underscored the potential that’s there.

He said he’s still considering whether to work out at all at Penn State’s pro day on March 20, but unless he just wants to do a three-cone drill or something, it’s hard to know what he’d gain. But he’s intent on continuing to work.

“A lot of vets and NFL guys and even coaches I’ve talked to say people when they’re done with the Combine think, ‘That’s it,'” he said. “They think they’ve made it and it’s, ‘Oh, now I just have to get to the draft. I did what I had to do.’

“No. You’ve still got work to do. You can’t take time off.”

That attitude toward work has helped put him where he is today, which is in the conversation to be one of the first players taken in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Link - ( New Window )
only pick  
2cents : 3/7/2018 10:54 am : link
this is the only guy I want @ #2. anything else and i will be disappointed.
RE: only pick  
superspynyg : 3/7/2018 10:58 am : link
In comment 13853189 2cents said:
Quote:
this is the only guy I want @ #2. anything else and i will be disappointed.


And if he goes #1 to the Browns? You cant fall in love with one player unless you have the #1 overall pick
RE: RE: only pick  
GFAN52 : 3/7/2018 11:13 am : link
In comment 13853193 superspynyg said:
Quote:
In comment 13853189 2cents said:


Quote:


this is the only guy I want @ #2. anything else and i will be disappointed.



And if he goes #1 to the Browns? You cant fall in love with one player unless you have the #1 overall pick


I agree. I imagine there would be a minor meltdown here if the Browns select Darnold and the Giants pass on Barkley.
You can surely fall in love with one player  
sharpshooter66 : 3/7/2018 11:14 am : link
As long as you have plans in place for all situations. If he goes number one you go with plan B
RE: RE: only pick  
2cents : 3/7/2018 11:15 am : link
In comment 13853193 superspynyg said:
Quote:
In comment 13853189 2cents said:


Quote:


this is the only guy I want @ #2. anything else and i will be disappointed.



And if he goes #1 to the Browns? You cant fall in love with one player unless you have the #1 overall pick



if he goes #1 to the browns i believe it would fall into the "anything else" category so i would be disappointed.. im not running the team, i am devoted fan, we arent rational.
I don't like a RB at number 2 but  
SomeFan : 3/7/2018 11:35 am : link
damn, I love Barkley. You can tell by watching just 2 minutes on youtube at the combine that he will be a gamer in addition to a great athlete.
RE: RE: RE: only pick  
BigBlue4You09 : 3/7/2018 11:41 am : link
In comment 13853219 2cents said:
Quote:
In comment 13853193 superspynyg said:


Quote:


In comment 13853189 2cents said:


Quote:


this is the only guy I want @ #2. anything else and i will be disappointed.



And if he goes #1 to the Browns? You cant fall in love with one player unless you have the #1 overall pick




if he goes #1 to the browns i believe it would fall into the "anything else" category so i would be disappointed.. im not running the team, i am devoted fan, we arent rational.


Speak for yourself. I’m quite rational and understand Barley is probably gone at #1
RE: RE: RE: RE: only pick  
2cents : 3/7/2018 12:15 pm : link
In comment 13853265 BigBlue4You09 said:
Quote:
In comment 13853219 2cents said:


Quote:


In comment 13853193 superspynyg said:


Quote:


In comment 13853189 2cents said:


Quote:


this is the only guy I want @ #2. anything else and i will be disappointed.



And if he goes #1 to the Browns? You cant fall in love with one player unless you have the #1 overall pick




if he goes #1 to the browns i believe it would fall into the "anything else" category so i would be disappointed.. im not running the team, i am devoted fan, we arent rational.



Speak for yourself. I’m quite rational and understand Barley is probably gone at #1


I dont get what you are trying to argue. are you against the pick all together or have you just removed it as a possibility that he would be available?

Statistically speaking There is a 50-50 shot of him being available. Those odds are reasonable enough for me to target him as the pick of choice. If we lose that coin flip, rational or not, it is only natural that there would be some level of disappointment. Personally, i choose to be slightly more emotional about it and that is fine because my opinion has no impact on the organization, you must be fun at parties.

I'm comfortable saying...  
BamaBlue : 3/7/2018 12:29 pm : link
no matter what the Giants do with the #2 pick, many Giants fans heads will explode. Predictions of doom and gloom will abound. There's way too much emotion packed into the draft...
I Heard That Interview on NFL Radio  
MojoEd : 3/7/2018 1:04 pm : link
FWIW it was easily the most impressive athlete interview I have ever heard. Did not expect that. After hearing him, I could not imagine any team passing on him including CLE at #1. I was reminded of one of those recent anonymous scout stories that said he was one of 5 players to have ever gotten a perfect grade on that team's scouting report.
At this point in time... on 3/7/18...  
T-Bone : 3/7/2018 1:06 pm : link
Barkely is my first choice.

But if he's not there, I'm starting to warm up to Rosen.

Either of those two would be cool with me.

But I WANT Barkely.
RE: only pick  
santacruzom : 3/7/2018 1:10 pm : link
In comment 13853189 2cents said:
Quote:
this is the only guy I want @ #2. anything else and i will be disappointed.


I'll be disappointed if we don't get him because at the very least, I just want the entertainment factor that comes with having another offensive player of his caliber on the team. But I doubt I'll be very disappointed by our other choice.
RE: At this point in time... on 3/7/18...  
santacruzom : 3/7/2018 1:12 pm : link
In comment 13853343 T-Bone said:
Quote:
Barkely is my first choice.

But if he's not there, I'm starting to warm up to Rosen.

Either of those two would be cool with me.

But I WANT Barkely.


Yep. Or even Josh Allen. Or Bradley Chubb. Or shit, Nelson.

You can't be *too* disappointed if you wind up with a consensus top prospect, but there would still be a blow involved if we don't wind up with Barkley.
RE: RE: only pick  
T-Bone : 3/7/2018 1:16 pm : link
In comment 13853351 santacruzom said:
Quote:
In comment 13853189 2cents said:


Quote:


this is the only guy I want @ #2. anything else and i will be disappointed.



I'll be disappointed if we don't get him because at the very least, (b)I just want the entertainment factor that comes with having another offensive player of his caliber on the team.(/b) But I doubt I'll be very disappointed by our other choice.


I can't lie... this is a big part of the reason why I want him badly too... just so that I can watch him every Sunday for the rest of his career and see the magic he'll hopefully create in the Big Leagues.
RE: RE: At this point in time... on 3/7/18...  
T-Bone : 3/7/2018 1:21 pm : link
In comment 13853355 santacruzom said:
Quote:
In comment 13853343 T-Bone said:


Quote:


Barkely is my first choice.

But if he's not there, I'm starting to warm up to Rosen.

Either of those two would be cool with me.

But I WANT Barkely.



Yep. Or even Josh Allen. Or Bradley Chubb. Or shit, Nelson.

You can't be *too* disappointed if you wind up with a consensus top prospect, but there would still be a blow involved if we don't wind up with Barkley.


Josh Allen would be a slight disappointment for me... but only slightly because he's the QB I think fits best if the team plans on staying with Eli for more than one more season.

Chubb would be hard for me to get into only because we don't know what kind of defense Bettcher will be running. I don't know a lot about Chubb but if he's the kind of player that can fit into any system, then I'd be ok with it because from what I've been reading he's a playa!

Then there's Nelson. In a trade back to 5 or 6, then I'm all in no questions asked. At #2 though? Eh... I'd have to think about it. I wouldn't be disappointed at all because I think he's going to be that good... but I'd just have a problem with selecting a Guard at #2 is all. That said, I also am not sure if I see much of a difference with picking a Guard at #2 or at #5?
.  
arcarsenal : 3/7/2018 1:23 pm : link
If we are sticking @ 2 or only moving down a few spots - we need to come away with one of these 4 players:

Barkley
Rosen
Nelson
Fitzpatrick
RE: .  
T-Bone : 3/7/2018 1:26 pm : link
In comment 13853367 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
If we are sticking @ 2 or only moving down a few spots - we need to come away with one of these 4 players:

Barkley
Rosen
Nelson
Fitzpatrick


I agree with this. I meant to add Fitzpatrick to my list above but forgot. I see him in the same light as Nelson, would rather trade back to get him.

So in summary:

#2 - Barkley or Rosen

With a slight trade back to #5 or #6 - Nelson, Fitzpatrick, Allen or Darnold for that matter.
RE: RE: RE: At this point in time... on 3/7/18...  
santacruzom : 3/7/2018 1:29 pm : link
In comment 13853366 T-Bone said:
Quote:
In comment 13853355 santacruzom said:


Quote:


In comment 13853343 T-Bone said:


Quote:


Barkely is my first choice.

But if he's not there, I'm starting to warm up to Rosen.

Either of those two would be cool with me.

But I WANT Barkely.



Yep. Or even Josh Allen. Or Bradley Chubb. Or shit, Nelson.

You can't be *too* disappointed if you wind up with a consensus top prospect, but there would still be a blow involved if we don't wind up with Barkley.



Josh Allen would be a slight disappointment for me... but only slightly because he's the QB I think fits best if the team plans on staying with Eli for more than one more season.


I get that, but if we did choose him I'd think, "Well, at least we got a physical monster of a QB who ought to be interesting to watch."
RE: RE: .  
arcarsenal : 3/7/2018 1:29 pm : link
In comment 13853372 T-Bone said:
Quote:
In comment 13853367 arcarsenal said:


Quote:


If we are sticking @ 2 or only moving down a few spots - we need to come away with one of these 4 players:

Barkley
Rosen
Nelson
Fitzpatrick



I agree with this. I meant to add Fitzpatrick to my list above but forgot. I see him in the same light as Nelson, would rather trade back to get him.

So in summary:

#2 - Barkley or Rosen

With a slight trade back to #5 or #6 - Nelson, Fitzpatrick, Allen or Darnold for that matter.


We're in lockstep, my man.
RE: .  
Eman11 : 3/7/2018 1:37 pm : link
In comment 13853367 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
If we are sticking @ 2 or only moving down a few spots - we need to come away with one of these 4 players:

Barkley
Rosen
Nelson
Fitzpatrick


Yup. We're in complete agreement once again today.

I'm in the wanting Barkley first camp but I wouldn't be disappointed with any of these four but would be if one of them wasn't our pick.

As discussed earlier, I'd only be concerned with Rosen's injury history but if he's picked it's clearly because DG and the Giants have done their due diligence on him and aren't concerned with that.

That said though, I'd rather one of the other three first only because they'd be plug and play guys who would signal the Giants feel they can make another run with Eli



RE: RE: RE: RE: At this point in time... on 3/7/18...  
T-Bone : 3/7/2018 1:38 pm : link
In comment 13853375 santacruzom said:
Quote:
In comment 13853366 T-Bone said:


Quote:


In comment 13853355 santacruzom said:


Quote:


In comment 13853343 T-Bone said:


Quote:


Barkely is my first choice.

But if he's not there, I'm starting to warm up to Rosen.

Either of those two would be cool with me.

But I WANT Barkely.



Yep. Or even Josh Allen. Or Bradley Chubb. Or shit, Nelson.

You can't be *too* disappointed if you wind up with a consensus top prospect, but there would still be a blow involved if we don't wind up with Barkley.



Josh Allen would be a slight disappointment for me... but only slightly because he's the QB I think fits best if the team plans on staying with Eli for more than one more season.



I get that, but if we did choose him I'd think, "Well, at least we got a physical monster of a QB who ought to be interesting to watch."


True. And with two years of tutelage under Shurmur and Manning (Eli only has two years left on his contract right?), I'd expect him to come out ready to play.
RE: RE: RE: .  
T-Bone : 3/7/2018 1:38 pm : link
In comment 13853376 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
In comment 13853372 T-Bone said:


Quote:


In comment 13853367 arcarsenal said:


Quote:


If we are sticking @ 2 or only moving down a few spots - we need to come away with one of these 4 players:

Barkley
Rosen
Nelson
Fitzpatrick



I agree with this. I meant to add Fitzpatrick to my list above but forgot. I see him in the same light as Nelson, would rather trade back to get him.

So in summary:

#2 - Barkley or Rosen

With a slight trade back to #5 or #6 - Nelson, Fitzpatrick, Allen or Darnold for that matter.



We're in lockstep, my man.


As is usually the case my friend.
You two need to get a room!  
Keith : 3/7/2018 1:42 pm : link
I really hope Barkley goes 1. For a few reasons.

1. If he doesn't and we take a QB, fans will be really tough on that QB because it's much easier for a RB to have immediate impact.

2. This team has a lot of issues and a RB does not help any of them. We need to rebuild, stop trying to get Eli one more shot.
...  
BleedBlue : 3/7/2018 1:42 pm : link
he was ALWAYS my guy. the guy i wanted at #2....if he goes #1, look for the best offer and move down.

go to 4-6 and take
Darnold
Allen
Rosen
Nelson
Fitz
Mayfield

in that order
My sense about Cleveland  
BlackLight : 3/7/2018 2:05 pm : link
is that they want to role the dice with Kizer, which would lead them to choose Barkley at #1. They can still turn around and draft a QB at #4. That's what I would do, if I were them. But it's the Browns.
RE: My sense about Cleveland  
Eman11 : 3/7/2018 2:31 pm : link
In comment 13853434 BlackLight said:
Quote:
is that they want to role the dice with Kizer, which would lead them to choose Barkley at #1. They can still turn around and draft a QB at #4. That's what I would do, if I were them. But it's the Browns.


Sorry but that makes zero sense to me.

If they want to roll the dice with Kizer, they don't take a QB at 1 or 4. Why would they draft another QB if they're going with Kizer?

If they do take a QB at 4, they're either not rolling the dice on Kizer or rolling them again by risking not getting the highest rated QB on their board.

If there's one QB they love more than any other, they have to take him at 1, and not risk another team wanting him too and getting him before they pick again at 4.
RE: You two need to get a room!  
blueblood : 3/7/2018 2:39 pm : link
In comment 13853393 Keith said:
Quote:


This team has a lot of issues and a RB does not help any of them.


not true at all.

the Giants havent had a 1K yard rusher since Bradshaw.
we have no quality talent or threat at the RB position.
we cant effectively run play action
We cant effectively throw to our RB's
we cant effectively run screens.
a Good RB would cause defenses to have to adjust.
A Good RB would change coverage for WR's and TE's
a good RB can help stress a defense horizontal and vertical
a good RB helps your four minute offense
a Good RB helps you run the ball which wears down defenses
a good RB helps you run ball control
a good RB help in time of possession

so i disagree that a RB wouldnt help this team. now whether you willing to spend the #2 pick on a RB can be debated.. BUT to say that a RB doesnt help ANY of the issues on this team is just flat out wrong..
RE: RE: My sense about Cleveland  
GFAN52 : 3/7/2018 2:39 pm : link
In comment 13853479 Eman11 said:
Quote:
In comment 13853434 BlackLight said:


Quote:


is that they want to role the dice with Kizer, which would lead them to choose Barkley at #1. They can still turn around and draft a QB at #4. That's what I would do, if I were them. But it's the Browns.



Sorry but that makes zero sense to me.

If they want to roll the dice with Kizer, they don't take a QB at 1 or 4. Why would they draft another QB if they're going with Kizer?

If they do take a QB at 4, they're either not rolling the dice on Kizer or rolling them again by risking not getting the highest rated QB on their board.

If there's one QB they love more than any other, they have to take him at 1, and not risk another team wanting him too and getting him before they pick again at 4.


If they were smart, they'd sign AJ McCarron, take Barkley @ 1 and still get one of Nelson, Chubb or Fitzpatrick @ 4.
except that AJ McCarron  
blueblood : 3/7/2018 2:47 pm : link
is a mediocre back up QB. He isnt the future. Cleveland has had what.. 26 starting QB's since 1999. Thats just insane. And they passed on both Wentz and Jackson last year. They need a long term answer at QB. Its their single biggest need.
RE: RE: You two need to get a room!  
Keith : 3/7/2018 2:50 pm : link
In comment 13853495 blueblood said:
Quote:
In comment 13853393 Keith said:


Quote:




This team has a lot of issues and a RB does not help any of them.



not true at all.

the Giants havent had a 1K yard rusher since Bradshaw.
we have no quality talent or threat at the RB position.
we cant effectively run play action
We cant effectively throw to our RB's
we cant effectively run screens.
a Good RB would cause defenses to have to adjust.
A Good RB would change coverage for WR's and TE's
a good RB can help stress a defense horizontal and vertical
a good RB helps your four minute offense
a Good RB helps you run the ball which wears down defenses
a good RB helps you run ball control
a good RB help in time of possession

so i disagree that a RB wouldnt help this team. now whether you willing to spend the #2 pick on a RB can be debated.. BUT to say that a RB doesnt help ANY of the issues on this team is just flat out wrong..


Here's where we disagree. You are referring a running game, not a running back. I fully understand the importance of a running game, but none of this matters without fixing the line and possibly the QB first. You think adding Barkley to last years offense solves our offensive problems??? I don't. Our problems go way further than who was running the ball. It was our system, our playcalling and more importantly our blocking. So while I agree that all of what you posted needs to be fixed, a running back doesn't fix it.
RE: You two need to get a room!  
T-Bone : 3/7/2018 3:00 pm : link
In comment 13853393 Keith said:
Quote:
I really hope Barkley goes 1. For a few reasons.

1. If he doesn't and we take a QB, fans will be really tough on that QB because it's much easier for a RB to have immediate impact.

2. This team has a lot of issues and a RB does not help any of them. We need to rebuild, stop trying to get Eli one more shot.


I swear... you get sooo jealous all the time.

1. That's nothing a few TDs and wins wouldn't cure though. It'd be up to him to produce good feelings in the fans. Just as folks like yourself would be pissed if the team selects Barkley and he turns out to be another Richardson and a QB we could've selected turns out to be the next Elway.

2. You're correct... and one of those issues is a lack of upper-tier talent at the RB position. So why not insert the best one to come along in a decade to fix that one particular problem. Matter of fact, there are some (including our very own GM and HC) who might argue that the position you want to draft (a QB) isn't one of the 'issues' on this team.
RE: RE: RE: You two need to get a room!  
T-Bone : 3/7/2018 3:04 pm : link
In comment 13853513 Keith said:
Quote:
In comment 13853495 blueblood said:


Quote:


In comment 13853393 Keith said:


Quote:




This team has a lot of issues and a RB does not help any of them.



not true at all.

the Giants havent had a 1K yard rusher since Bradshaw.
we have no quality talent or threat at the RB position.
we cant effectively run play action
We cant effectively throw to our RB's
we cant effectively run screens.
a Good RB would cause defenses to have to adjust.
A Good RB would change coverage for WR's and TE's
a good RB can help stress a defense horizontal and vertical
a good RB helps your four minute offense
a Good RB helps you run the ball which wears down defenses
a good RB helps you run ball control
a good RB help in time of possession

so i disagree that a RB wouldnt help this team. now whether you willing to spend the #2 pick on a RB can be debated.. BUT to say that a RB doesnt help ANY of the issues on this team is just flat out wrong..



Here's where we disagree. You are referring a running game, not a running back. I fully understand the importance of a running game, but none of this matters without fixing the line and possibly the QB first. You think adding Barkley to last years offense solves our offensive problems??? I don't. Our problems go way further than who was running the ball. It was our system, our playcalling and more importantly our blocking. So while I agree that all of what you posted needs to be fixed, a running back doesn't fix it.


Using that same logic, adding Darnold, Rosen or Allen DOES fix last year's offensive problems?

And I still don't understand that logic that picking Barkley at #2 means that the team will no longer have an opportunity to upgrade the line?
RE: RE: RE: RE: You two need to get a room!  
OBJRoyal : 3/7/2018 3:28 pm : link
In comment 13853536 T-Bone said:
Quote:
In comment 13853513 Keith said:


Quote:


In comment 13853495 blueblood said:


Quote:


In comment 13853393 Keith said:


Quote:




This team has a lot of issues and a RB does not help any of them.



not true at all.

the Giants havent had a 1K yard rusher since Bradshaw.
we have no quality talent or threat at the RB position.
we cant effectively run play action
We cant effectively throw to our RB's
we cant effectively run screens.
a Good RB would cause defenses to have to adjust.
A Good RB would change coverage for WR's and TE's
a good RB can help stress a defense horizontal and vertical
a good RB helps your four minute offense
a Good RB helps you run the ball which wears down defenses
a good RB helps you run ball control
a good RB help in time of possession

so i disagree that a RB wouldnt help this team. now whether you willing to spend the #2 pick on a RB can be debated.. BUT to say that a RB doesnt help ANY of the issues on this team is just flat out wrong..



Here's where we disagree. You are referring a running game, not a running back. I fully understand the importance of a running game, but none of this matters without fixing the line and possibly the QB first. You think adding Barkley to last years offense solves our offensive problems??? I don't. Our problems go way further than who was running the ball. It was our system, our playcalling and more importantly our blocking. So while I agree that all of what you posted needs to be fixed, a running back doesn't fix it.



Using that same logic, adding Darnold, Rosen or Allen DOES fix last year's offensive problems?

And I still don't understand that logic that picking Barkley at #2 means that the team will no longer have an opportunity to upgrade the line?


I'm with you there, the while " you gotta fix the line before getting a RB" is a load of crap. There are rumblings already that Norwell may very well end up a Giant, and I'm sure he won't be the last addition to the line.

I for one would love Barkley in blue
I want to make this very clear.  
Keith : 3/7/2018 6:40 pm : link
I would not be unhappy with getting Barkley. I think he's a phenomenal talent and seems like a great kid. I would be unhappy that we didn't come out of this draft with a QB. I think it would be a very risky decision that we would have a really hard time overcoming as well.
RE: RE: RE: RE: You two need to get a room!  
Keith : 3/7/2018 6:41 pm : link
In comment 13853536 T-Bone said:
Quote:
In comment 13853513 Keith said:


Quote:


In comment 13853495 blueblood said:


Quote:


In comment 13853393 Keith said:


Quote:




This team has a lot of issues and a RB does not help any of them.



not true at all.

the Giants havent had a 1K yard rusher since Bradshaw.
we have no quality talent or threat at the RB position.
we cant effectively run play action
We cant effectively throw to our RB's
we cant effectively run screens.
a Good RB would cause defenses to have to adjust.
A Good RB would change coverage for WR's and TE's
a good RB can help stress a defense horizontal and vertical
a good RB helps your four minute offense
a Good RB helps you run the ball which wears down defenses
a good RB helps you run ball control
a good RB help in time of possession

so i disagree that a RB wouldnt help this team. now whether you willing to spend the #2 pick on a RB can be debated.. BUT to say that a RB doesnt help ANY of the issues on this team is just flat out wrong..



Here's where we disagree. You are referring a running game, not a running back. I fully understand the importance of a running game, but none of this matters without fixing the line and possibly the QB first. You think adding Barkley to last years offense solves our offensive problems??? I don't. Our problems go way further than who was running the ball. It was our system, our playcalling and more importantly our blocking. So while I agree that all of what you posted needs to be fixed, a running back doesn't fix it.



Using that same logic, adding Darnold, Rosen or Allen DOES fix last year's offensive problems?

And I still don't understand that logic that picking Barkley at #2 means that the team will no longer have an opportunity to upgrade the line?


I am of the belief that we can't patchwork this team. Does a QB make us better in 2018, no, but I don't think that should really be the goal. I think we need to start fresh and draft a QB and build around him. You want to give Eli one more year to see what he does, ok, but I'd rather build around a combination of OBJ and a young QB and build towards sustained success.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: You two need to get a room!  
T-Bone : 3/7/2018 7:25 pm : link
In comment 13854074 Keith said:
Quote:
In comment 13853536 T-Bone said:


Quote:


In comment 13853513 Keith said:


Quote:


In comment 13853495 blueblood said:


Quote:


In comment 13853393 Keith said:


Quote:




This team has a lot of issues and a RB does not help any of them.



not true at all.

the Giants havent had a 1K yard rusher since Bradshaw.
we have no quality talent or threat at the RB position.
we cant effectively run play action
We cant effectively throw to our RB's
we cant effectively run screens.
a Good RB would cause defenses to have to adjust.
A Good RB would change coverage for WR's and TE's
a good RB can help stress a defense horizontal and vertical
a good RB helps your four minute offense
a Good RB helps you run the ball which wears down defenses
a good RB helps you run ball control
a good RB help in time of possession

so i disagree that a RB wouldnt help this team. now whether you willing to spend the #2 pick on a RB can be debated.. BUT to say that a RB doesnt help ANY of the issues on this team is just flat out wrong..



Here's where we disagree. You are referring a running game, not a running back. I fully understand the importance of a running game, but none of this matters without fixing the line and possibly the QB first. You think adding Barkley to last years offense solves our offensive problems??? I don't. Our problems go way further than who was running the ball. It was our system, our playcalling and more importantly our blocking. So while I agree that all of what you posted needs to be fixed, a running back doesn't fix it.



Using that same logic, adding Darnold, Rosen or Allen DOES fix last year's offensive problems?

And I still don't understand that logic that picking Barkley at #2 means that the team will no longer have an opportunity to upgrade the line?



I am of the belief that we can't patchwork this team. Does a QB make us better in 2018, no, but I don't think that should really be the goal. I think we need to start fresh and draft a QB and build around him. You want to give Eli one more year to see what he does, ok, but I'd rather build around a combination of OBJ and a young QB and build towards sustained success.


To be honest, I personally probably feel closer to you than you think in that I personally am ready to move on from Eli.

That said, it appears that the ‘powers that be’ want to stick with him for AT LEAST another year... if not two. I believe they have much more confidence in Webb and his development than most here do. I see nothing wrong in taking into account how Webb fits in to this but it seems ther are some who don’t want to do this. How are you so confident that any QB we draft automatically is going to be better than Webb? Why can’t Webb be that ‘young QB’?
^^^^  
Kev in Cali : 3/7/2018 8:41 pm : link
We don't know jack about Webb's development thus far.....We'll know right away if they trade down or take Barkley @#2
RE: ^^^^  
T-Bone : 3/7/2018 9:34 pm : link
In comment 13854227 Kev in Cali said:
Quote:
We don't know jack about Webb's development thus far.....We'll know right away if they trade down or take Barkley @#2


Yeah... that’s what I said. We don’t.
Back to the Corner