Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Ereck Flowers

Stan in LA : 3/13/2018 6:43 pm
Quote:
It is also questionable whether Solder would provide any significant upgrade (particularly for the money) over Ereck Flowers, who will be just 24 at the start of the season. Solder started the 2017 season poorly and improved toward the end of the season. And while Flowers had a disastrous outing in Week 2 against Ziggy Ansah, he rebounded to allow just 3 sacks in the remaining 14 games and had the longest streak of consecutive pass protection snaps without a sack among offensive tackles.


Sign this guy Flowers!!
Link  
Stan in LA : 3/13/2018 6:48 pm : link
.
Link - ( New Window )
?  
Jerry K : 3/13/2018 6:49 pm : link
Who are you quoting?
I just don't know  
mrvax : 3/13/2018 6:50 pm : link
how to respond to those facts.
If that quote was about some other young LT on some other team, I'd be thinking very positively about the player.
he had a decent year  
OdellBeckhamJr : 3/13/2018 6:50 pm : link
but he still needs to curb all the penalties he commits
At  
Rolyrock : 3/13/2018 6:51 pm : link
Least he showed improvement at the end of the season, hopefully he can still ascend, being young 23.
the mealy mouth owner  
sundayatone : 3/13/2018 6:53 pm : link
will boast how hard he is working and hope giant fans forget 2017.
He went like 6 games without giving up a sack  
sharpshooter66 : 3/13/2018 6:56 pm : link
But still rather have him at RT then LT
Just because he only allowed 3 more sacks doesnt  
Brown Recluse : 3/13/2018 6:57 pm : link
mean the QB wasnt getting smacked around all season. He just got rid of the ball before the defender hit him.

Dont be lulled into comfort by these useless statistics.
Anyone who watched the Giants  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 3/13/2018 6:57 pm : link
last year knows he started off terribly, had a very solid stretch during the middle of the year, and then played like crap again down the stretch.
He had to play with such wide stance.....it hurt his run blocking  
George from PA : 3/13/2018 6:58 pm : link
And made it identifying pass/run plays too easy.....he must be moved to RT or RG imo
RE: Just because he only allowed 3 more sacks doesnt  
BleedBlue : 3/13/2018 6:58 pm : link
In comment 13863053 Brown Recluse said:
Quote:
mean the QB wasnt getting smacked around all season. He just got rid of the ball before the defender hit him.

Dont be lulled into comfort by these useless statistics.


exactly...if he gave up pressures and they just didnt get to him does that make him good? fuck that he shouldnt be our LT anymore.
Flowers is reminding me more and more  
djm : 3/13/2018 6:59 pm : link
Of Scott Gragg. Gragg played RT here during the lean mid 90s. He took an unacceptable number of false starts throughout most of his nyg career and was really the face of the Giants OL issues. His last year in 99 the offense was terrible and he was allowed to leave as a FA but he played better that last season. Really wasnít bad at all in 1999. Went on to play well for the niners.

Why do I get the feeling flowers will leave here and have a better second half to his career...
RE: the mealy mouth owner  
djm : 3/13/2018 6:59 pm : link
In comment 13863044 sundayatone said:
Quote:
will boast how hard he is working and hope giant fans forget 2017.


You should Choke on a crouton.
Flowers Is A Bust  
TheVette : 3/13/2018 7:00 pm : link
Sure - given him a look at G, but the better play would be to move him for a 6th or a 7th, and just move on. Lousy technique, lousy footwork - the poster child for what's wrong with this OL.
Flowers was terrible.  
FStubbs : 3/13/2018 7:01 pm : link
It's just that before that he was horrific. Just because he improved his level of play from horrific to merely terrible doesn't mean he shouldn't be replaced.
He'll be much better  
Rflairr : 3/13/2018 7:04 pm : link
with a better coaching staff.
RE: Flowers is reminding me more and more  
FStubbs : 3/13/2018 7:06 pm : link
In comment 13863061 djm said:
Quote:
Of Scott Gragg. Gragg played RT here during the lean mid 90s. He took an unacceptable number of false starts throughout most of his nyg career and was really the face of the Giants OL issues. His last year in 99 the offense was terrible and he was allowed to leave as a FA but he played better that last season. Really wasnít bad at all in 1999. Went on to play well for the niners.

Why do I get the feeling flowers will leave here and have a better second half to his career...


Gragg would be one of the best OL on this team.
RE: RE: the mealy mouth owner  
sundayatone : 3/13/2018 7:07 pm : link
In comment 13863062 djm said:
Quote:
In comment 13863044 sundayatone said:


Quote:


will boast how hard he is working and hope giant fans forget 2017.



You should Choke on a crouton.


is that possible?
RE: RE: RE: the mealy mouth owner  
djm : 3/13/2018 7:21 pm : link
In comment 13863093 sundayatone said:
Quote:
In comment 13863062 djm said:


Quote:


In comment 13863044 sundayatone said:


Quote:


will boast how hard he is working and hope giant fans forget 2017.



You should Choke on a crouton.



is that possible?


No, but it was mean. I take it back.
RE: RE: RE: RE: the mealy mouth owner  
sundayatone : 3/13/2018 7:31 pm : link
In comment 13863133 djm said:
Quote:
In comment 13863093 sundayatone said:


Quote:


In comment 13863062 djm said:


Quote:


In comment 13863044 sundayatone said:


Quote:


will boast how hard he is working and hope giant fans forget 2017.



You should Choke on a crouton.



is that possible?



No, but it was mean. I take it back.


no prob,i like your takes on all giant things.
RE: Flowers is reminding me more and more  
McNally's_Nuts : 3/13/2018 7:31 pm : link
In comment 13863061 djm said:
Quote:
Of Scott Gragg. Gragg played RT here during the lean mid 90s. He took an unacceptable number of false starts throughout most of his nyg career and was really the face of the Giants OL issues. His last year in 99 the offense was terrible and he was allowed to leave as a FA but he played better that last season. Really wasnít bad at all in 1999. Went on to play well for the niners.

Why do I get the feeling flowers will leave here and have a better second half to his career...



Scott Gragg? You just alerted the Greg from LI bat signal!
But this is something, no?  
Stan in LA : 3/13/2018 7:33 pm : link
"...had the longest streak of consecutive pass protection snaps without a sack among offensive tackles."

That's good, no?
RE: Flowers is reminding me more and more  
old man : 3/13/2018 7:34 pm : link
In comment 13863061 djm said:
Quote:
Of Scott Gragg. Gragg played RT here during the lean mid 90s. He took an unacceptable number of false starts throughout most of his nyg career and was really the face of the Giants OL issues. His last year in 99 the offense was terrible and he was allowed to leave as a FA but he played better that last season. Really wasnít bad at all in 1999. Went on to play well for the niners.

Why do I get the feeling flowers will leave here and have a
better second half to his career...


Could be the scheme, and a mobile QB, as mentioned re: Richburg.
He also quit by asking out of the  
RottenApple : 3/13/2018 7:53 pm : link
last game. He should join Hart at the local car wash.
I've only had 3 beers tonight...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 3/13/2018 7:56 pm : link
But do people forget that the guy quit at the end of the season?
RE: He also quit by asking out of the  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 3/13/2018 7:56 pm : link
In comment 13863231 RottenApple said:
Quote:
last game. He should join Hart at the local car wash.


You remember! Haha.
Our organization has not understood  
mdc1 : 3/13/2018 9:52 pm : link
the concept of fail fast. Flower's case study will be seasons of "he just did not pan out". We should have been rid of him 2 seasons ago.
How much of that sack streak is because  
widmerseyebrow : 3/13/2018 11:34 pm : link
They started getting the ball out in one second BECAUSE of his established limitations? After a while they asked as little as possible of the offensive line because they knew they stunk.
RE: How much of that sack streak is because  
TheVette : 3/13/2018 11:46 pm : link
In comment 13863638 widmerseyebrow said:
Quote:
They started getting the ball out in one second BECAUSE of his established limitations? After a while they asked as little as possible of the offensive line because they knew they stunk.


Yep - anyone who has watched Eli knows that the entire passing game has been hampered by Eli having zero time. You can only run so many short routes that end up 1 yard short of 1st down in a season to know the team and the QB have ZERO faith in the OL.
RE: I've only had 3 beers tonight...  
FranknWeezer : 3/13/2018 11:46 pm : link
In comment 13863240 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
But do people forget that the guy quit at the end of the season?


And he pushed Jordan in the locker room and gets tons of penalties because he plays with no leverage! Get him outta here!!

;-)
RE: Our organization has not understood  
TheVette : 3/13/2018 11:48 pm : link
In comment 13863495 mdc1 said:
Quote:
the concept of fail fast. Flower's case study will be seasons of "he just did not pan out". We should have been rid of him 2 seasons ago.


He was a huge reach by Reese at 9, just like Apple was a huge reach a year later at 10. When your GM is too stupid to breathe air - you have a problem.

Even moron John Mara knew it 2 years ago. Spent the entire Coughlin presser talking about how badly the team drafted over the years, how the team had the worst percentage of drafted players in the last 5 years on their roster - yet STILL gave Reese a vote of confidence and cut ties with Tom.

Wellington was a retard, and sadly - his son John is an imbecile
Flowers sucks every which way from Sunday  
Jimmy Googs : 3/14/2018 12:01 am : link
He was good in the middle of the season when he didnt allow a sack for _X_ games. Are you kidding me? He has no idea what he is doing out there and its been 3 seasons. He continues to fall back into his same crappy habits.

They say NFL player development is not linear....meet the poster child.

Need serious consideration to RT. Or at least major competition at LT. Or he can just sit and let us know when he is serious about getting his feet, hands and body into proper position to play OL.

Until then he is a bust that has started alot of games because we had a loser GM, coach and they brought in nobody to compete with him...

Is pretty good  
giantsFC : 3/14/2018 2:09 am : link
In Madden
RE: RE: Our organization has not understood  
mrvax : 3/14/2018 2:17 am : link
In comment 13863655 TheVette said:
Quote:
In comment 13863495 mdc1 said:


Quote:


the concept of fail fast. Flower's case study will be seasons of "he just did not pan out". We should have been rid of him 2 seasons ago.



He was a huge reach by Reese at 9, just like Apple was a huge reach a year later at 10. When your GM is too stupid to breathe air - you have a problem.

Even moron John Mara knew it 2 years ago. Spent the entire Coughlin presser talking about how badly the team drafted over the years, how the team had the worst percentage of drafted players in the last 5 years on their roster - yet STILL gave Reese a vote of confidence and cut ties with Tom.

Wellington was a retard, and sadly - his son John is an imbecile


Coughlin was fired due to the on-field decisions (especially dumb 2 minutes 4th Q moves.) He directly cost the team 4-5 games.
Eli got rid of the ball in under 2 ticks  
TD : 3/14/2018 5:24 am : link
Flowers benefitted modt from that.. but the offense overall suffered as a result.

Iím not convinced Flowers can hold a block long enough to allow a QB to make all of the basic throws.

We HAVE to try Flowers at RT or RG this year. We have to know whether he can play at a high level somewhere on the OL. He is not an LT. Period.
Flowers  
Dragon : 3/14/2018 7:02 am : link
Needs a change of scenery would be great to see what the Phins would offer for him don't expect much. The deal is all about him not walking away at the end of his contract for nothing. No reason for him to even have a bad dream about remaining on this team.
Flowers?  
Doomster : 3/14/2018 9:41 am : link
Darkwa's 4th down run at the goal line against the Eagles...
I know many here don't agree with me,  
Section331 : 3/14/2018 9:44 am : link
but I think Flowers will be an outstanding RT. His pass pro is improving to the point where it isn't a liability, and would be less so in the right side. If they can sign Solder and move Flowers over, that could be the framework for a good OL.
RE: I know many here don't agree with me,  
PatersonPlank : 3/14/2018 9:46 am : link
In comment 13864088 Section331 said:
Quote:
but I think Flowers will be an outstanding RT. His pass pro is improving to the point where it isn't a liability, and would be less so in the right side. If they can sign Solder and move Flowers over, that could be the framework for a good OL.


See I have concerns about him at RT too. Teams now have speed rushers over there also. I'd rather see Pugh there (assuming we can get Solder). I'd try him a G and see what happens, certainly he would be better than what we have currently.
RE: RE: I know many here don't agree with me,  
Section331 : 3/14/2018 9:56 am : link
In comment 13864093 PatersonPlank said:
Quote:

See I have concerns about him at RT too. Teams now have speed rushers over there also. I'd rather see Pugh there (assuming we can get Solder). I'd try him a G and see what happens, certainly he would be better than what we have currently.


That's fair, but in that case, Schumer can scheme to get EF help when lined up against speed guys. If you buy into the idea that most teams run games are right handed, Flowers makes more sense there than Pugh. You're probably right, Flowers' best spot might be RG, but I don't think we'll have the luxury of trying him there, at least not this year.
RE: Anyone who watched the Giants  
Racer : 3/14/2018 10:11 am : link
In comment 13863054 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
last year knows he started off terribly, had a very solid stretch during the middle of the year, and then played like crap again down the stretch.


Or at the very least read Sy's game reviews, where, during the good stretch, he was shaping himself into a servicable RT, and servicable will do in a couple of spots.

How can people be on this board 20 hours a day and pick up nothing?
RE: RE: RE: I know many here don't agree with me,  
PatersonPlank : 3/14/2018 10:28 am : link
In comment 13864119 Section331 said:
Quote:
In comment 13864093 PatersonPlank said:


Quote:



See I have concerns about him at RT too. Teams now have speed rushers over there also. I'd rather see Pugh there (assuming we can get Solder). I'd try him a G and see what happens, certainly he would be better than what we have currently.



That's fair, but in that case, Schumer can scheme to get EF help when lined up against speed guys. If you buy into the idea that most teams run games are right handed, Flowers makes more sense there than Pugh. You're probably right, Flowers' best spot might be RG, but I don't think we'll have the luxury of trying him there, at least not this year.


Sure, but now you are modifying your offense to accommodate a weakness. In this case EF will not be releasing as early thus limiting the routes he can run (making it easier for the defense). With Pugh out there I don't believe he will need extra help.
Last year's offense was a bit abbreviated in terms  
idiotsavant : 3/14/2018 10:41 am : link
Of time after snap ...and routes variety.... and run game.

So it's hard to read into

statistics.

You cannot, though, simply assume coaching and training fixes it.

If he improves under a new system? Great. But counting on that would not be judicious. If we get a steady RT out of the player that's a big win.
Back to the Corner