Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Cowboys expected to release WR Dez Bryant

Anakim : 4/13/2018 12:10 pm
Adam Schefter
& #8207;Verified account
@AdamSchefter

Cowboys expected to release WR Dev Bryant today, barring an unexpected last-minute change of heart, per @toddarcher and me. But the plan going into meeting that is now underway was to part ways with Bryant.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 <<Prev | Show All |
RE: Not the same without Romo  
GoDeep13 : 4/13/2018 3:34 pm : link
In comment 13913088 ZogZerg said:
Quote:
Scary how quickly receivers can fall off.

See. Hereís my thing. I donít think Dez fell off. I just donít think he and Dak worked well together. Dak is a ďbetween the numbersĒ short and quick completions guy whil Dez is a big boundary WR. Dak doesnít take chances with the football the way Romo did which plays into Dezís strength which has always been making tough jumpball plays on the outsides.
Example #57  
giantsFC : 4/13/2018 3:41 pm : link
that selfish diva WR's who make questionable off-field decisions don't translate to superbowls.
RE: If we could get Dez,  
gtt350 : 4/13/2018 3:49 pm : link
In comment 13913122 Bill in UT said:
Quote:
Odell and Mayfield on the field at the same time, the Meadowlands would rock


ha, one way or the other. Now put the pipe down
and go make Osso Buca
RE: Example #57  
Ten Ton Hammer : 4/13/2018 3:55 pm : link
In comment 13913323 giantsFC said:
Quote:
that selfish diva WR's who make questionable off-field decisions don't translate to superbowls.


By that logic neither does the offensive line and run game that everyone here swears by.
Beckham and Bryant together  
TMS : 4/13/2018 3:55 pm : link
would be the best receivers in the league by far. But are they healthy and mature enough to want to win a championship instead of the BS? Add Barkley and it becomes a no brainer. Provided ELI has not gotten old .
If he doesnít stay in the division my guess is the Pats  
BigBlue4You09 : 4/13/2018 3:57 pm : link
.
RE: RE: i would drop marshall for him...  
mattlawson : 4/13/2018 3:57 pm : link
In comment 13913294 N9NE11 said:
Quote:
In comment 13913273 GMAN4LIFE said:


Quote:


couldnt hurt at number 2

In a Heartbeat



YUPPERS
i mean i seriously felt it move  
mattlawson : 4/13/2018 3:58 pm : link
OBJ, Bryant, Sheppard, Engram.
It's fascinating...  
bw in dc : 4/13/2018 4:00 pm : link
how Dez is the non-Giant Eli.

The amount of excuses that are piling up to explain his descent is just brilliant.
RE: Beckham and Bryant together  
arcarsenal : 4/13/2018 4:06 pm : link
In comment 13913346 TMS said:
Quote:
would be the best receivers in the league by far. But are they healthy and mature enough to want to win a championship instead of the BS? Add Barkley and it becomes a no brainer. Provided ELI has not gotten old .


Everyone said the same thing about Odell and Marshall.

Odell got hurt and Marshall didn't do a damn thing but drop passes before he landed on IR as well.

(And I absolutely LOVED the Brandon Marshall signing)

WR is a need - but if people are going to spend every waking moment crying about Beckham's "antics," adding Bryant to the mix would be a fucking nightmare.
Drop Marshall in a NY minute  
Carl in CT : 4/13/2018 4:13 pm : link
For Dez or not.
Debate over which Old Dead Dog you want?  
Rafflee : 4/13/2018 4:22 pm : link
Prime Dez versus Prime Marshall...I'd take Marshall as the pairing with Odell

Choosing now?... I think Both are cooked---the G's have Brandon here and may know more to indicate that his tank is not empty.

Pass....But NOT to Dez!!!!!!
RE: Goodbye Brandon Marshall  
MetsAreBack : 4/13/2018 5:33 pm : link
In comment 13913298 NikkiMac said:
Quote:
Bring on Dez perfect complement tp OBJ ..... he can still play watch.......


And your view is Dez will play for 2 years, $12 million?

That's naive. Proceed.
Someone is going to take a flier on him  
UConn4523 : 4/13/2018 6:06 pm : link
and give him a lot more than I'd ever be comfortable giving a guy with his wear and tear. And that's not even considering how bad of a fit culturally he would likely be.

Marshall matured as a player and person and turned his life around. Can't say the same about Dez.
If the cowturds get rid of Jason Witten and Cole Beasley the Giants  
SterlingArcher : 4/13/2018 6:46 pm : link
could have a chance of beating them!
RE: RE: Goodbye Brandon Marshall  
NikkiMac : 4/13/2018 7:20 pm : link
In comment 13913462 MetsAreBack said:
Quote:
In comment 13913298 NikkiMac said:


Quote:


Bring on Dez perfect complement tp OBJ ..... he can still play watch.......



And your view is Dez will play for 2 years, $12 million?

That's naive. Proceed.


Giants could probably do it if they wanted to, of course they would have to backload the contract hey I know itís a long shot but never say never pal.......proceed......oh Iím a yankee fan
The Romo connection  
fanatic II : 4/13/2018 11:50 pm : link
Romo was injured in 2010, from 2011 to 2014 Bryant had 50 TDs for second in the NFL behind M. Lynch's 56. He was 5th in receiving yards.

From 2015 to 2017 without Romo, Bryant fell to #43 in the NFL with 17 TDs scored and 45th in receiving yards.

Direct correlation to the "supposed" drop off of Bryant was him losing Romo.

Bryant still has enough left in the tank that a good passing QB can make him a top 10 WR again. If he finds the right spot it will happen.
RE: Dez has Jets written all over him....  
JayBinQueens : 4/14/2018 12:04 am : link
In comment 13913140 kinard said:
Quote:
... They need wide-outs and have an influx of cash to burn.
they also have 15 wrs on the roster (surprisingly I still don't think that stops them lol)
At this point in the offseason  
eli4life : 4/14/2018 12:19 am : link
He will probably get a one year prove it deal around 7-8 mill unless of course several teams get into a bidding war
No Separation...No Hands...  
Rafflee : 4/14/2018 8:29 am : link
No Thanks!

This guy will scream for the Ball.... he's the last to know that his ability is no longer at the level of his "personna".
RE: At this point in the offseason  
MetsAreBack : 4/14/2018 9:29 am : link
In comment 13913753 eli4life said:
Quote:
He will probably get a one year prove it deal around 7-8 mill unless of course several teams get into a bidding war


LOL, so he'll get a one year deal... unless he doesn't. Really went out on a limb there.

I just don't know what to say to the "analysis" above about Dez with and without Romo. Anyone who watched the games or even stared at his numbers, knows the decline is about a hell of a lot more than just losing Romo and replacing him with Dak. How come other Dallas WRs didn't drop off with Dak? Dez got older and he's had significant leg injuries. Just glad you folks aren't GM of my favorite team.
Actually thinking Bellichick might grab him...  
the mike : 4/14/2018 9:55 am : link
Pats need a receiver and the Moss experience is the precedent... Bryant may have a renaissance with Brady and the Patriots...
Dez Bryant  
GoBlue6599 : 4/14/2018 1:17 pm : link
Ond thing that is clear when watching him is he doesn't get alot of separation and he seems to drop alot of passes
He could have a resurgence elsewhere that is not out of the question, I dont think he's played up to standards at all
The other reason Jerry will drop him,  
Doomster : 4/14/2018 1:21 pm : link
is because the baby sitter is asking for a raise....
RE: Actually thinking Bellichick might grab him...  
MetsAreBack : 4/14/2018 1:28 pm : link
In comment 13913895 the mike said:
Quote:
Pats need a receiver and the Moss experience is the precedent... Bryant may have a renaissance with Brady and the Patriots...


I don't see the comparison other than both were 29 and played WR.

Moss still had talent, but was in a bad place work ethic wise in Oakland.

Dez on the other hand, just hasn't shown any talent in two years now. His work ethic has been there, but he turned 132 targets this past year into 860 yards!

Finally, Pats already have Gronk, Mitchell, Edelman, J Matthews and Hogan. They don't have a need at WR.
Giants are reportedly on his short list  
JonC : 4/15/2018 9:49 am : link
.
RE: Giants are reportedly on his short list  
eli4life : 4/15/2018 11:58 am : link
In comment 13914650 JonC said:
Quote:
.



How quickly do you think visits or whatever happens? Iíd think it would be sooner than later with the draft coming up
That's all we need  
Go Terps : 4/15/2018 11:59 am : link
Another clown in the wide receiver room.
RE: That's all we need  
eli4life : 4/15/2018 12:09 pm : link
In comment 13914747 Go Terps said:
Quote:
Another clown in the wide receiver room.


Hearing my cowboy fan relatives whine and cry would be worth it for me plus I get the feeling this year at least he might be a wee bit more motivated. He most likely will be on a one year fairly cheap prove it type deal. Iíd take him over Marshall any day of the week
No word yet if NYG is interested in him  
JonC : 4/16/2018 12:52 pm : link
.
RE: No word yet if NYG is interested in him  
arcarsenal : 4/16/2018 1:00 pm : link
In comment 13915975 JonC said:
Quote:
.


If they are, I officially don't understand what Gettleman's plan is.

Doesn't seem to make much sense to me to sign a guy like Jonathan Stewart mostly for his locker room presence, to deal away JPP, cut ties with DRC, etc.. only to turn around and sign Dez Bryant.

I'd be very, very surprised if that ever materialized.

WSH/PHI/CAR all seem like more likely destinations.
I agree arc, we need to avoid drama  
JonC : 4/16/2018 1:06 pm : link
and I wonder how much he's got left in the tank, to boot, same problem(s) with Marshall already.
Yeah, I donít see Dez here at all.  
Big Blue '56 : 4/16/2018 1:06 pm : link
Rather have an apparent washed up Marshall(though Iím fine with them parting ways with him even though I loved the 2 year signing at the time) than Dez if the choice was between the two.
RE: RE: RE: .  
Keith : 4/16/2018 3:20 pm : link
In comment 13913219 MetsAreBack said:
Quote:
In comment 13913112 HomerJones45 said:


Quote:




Hopkins had 3 qb's last season. Here is what he did with each:

Watson 45 catches, 606 yards 7td
Savage 32 catches 378 yards 2 td's
Yates 19 catches 284 yards 4 td's





Funny math above because Hopkins had 1,378 receiving yards last year. You lowballed Savage by 100 yards on bad math, and in the SF game, Savage i think had ~40 yards throwing to Hopkins before giving way to Yates.

Watson QB'd Hopkins for 6.5 games. Savage for 6.25 games. And Yates for 2.75 games. That needs to be factored into your "analysis." Note that Hopkins missed week 17.

So here are the correct numbers on a per game basis for Deandre Hopkins:
Watson: 6.9 catches, 93 yards, 1.1 TDs per game
Savage: 5.6 catches, 82 yards, 0.3 TDs per game
Yates: 5.8 catches, 90 yards, 1.5 TDs per game

The rest of your post i agree with, but at the same time, I watched too much Dallas football last year and Dez has definitely lost a lot of foot speed and separation ability. Its not all on Dak. He was useful in the red zone and in short routes because he's still a big body... so yes, agree, he's not in Hopkins stratosphere.... he's not in Davonte Adams category either.

I'd put him on par with like a Kelvim Benjamin or Marvin Jones if I'm being honest.



*crickets*

homer, where you at there bud?
RE: RE: RE: RE: .  
arcarsenal : 4/16/2018 4:08 pm : link
In comment 13916211 Keith said:
Quote:
In comment 13913219 MetsAreBack said:


Quote:


In comment 13913112 HomerJones45 said:


Quote:




Hopkins had 3 qb's last season. Here is what he did with each:

Watson 45 catches, 606 yards 7td
Savage 32 catches 378 yards 2 td's
Yates 19 catches 284 yards 4 td's





Funny math above because Hopkins had 1,378 receiving yards last year. You lowballed Savage by 100 yards on bad math, and in the SF game, Savage i think had ~40 yards throwing to Hopkins before giving way to Yates.

Watson QB'd Hopkins for 6.5 games. Savage for 6.25 games. And Yates for 2.75 games. That needs to be factored into your "analysis." Note that Hopkins missed week 17.

So here are the correct numbers on a per game basis for Deandre Hopkins:
Watson: 6.9 catches, 93 yards, 1.1 TDs per game
Savage: 5.6 catches, 82 yards, 0.3 TDs per game
Yates: 5.8 catches, 90 yards, 1.5 TDs per game

The rest of your post i agree with, but at the same time, I watched too much Dallas football last year and Dez has definitely lost a lot of foot speed and separation ability. Its not all on Dak. He was useful in the red zone and in short routes because he's still a big body... so yes, agree, he's not in Hopkins stratosphere.... he's not in Davonte Adams category either.

I'd put him on par with like a Kelvim Benjamin or Marvin Jones if I'm being honest.




*crickets*

homer, where you at there bud?


He left when he realized he was his own "ignorance" and crappy math he was dispelling rather than my own.
He's right in that QBs do matter,,  
MetsAreBack : 4/16/2018 4:31 pm : link
of course they do, we all knew that already. I was just put-off by the needlessly condescending way he went about his argument.

Bottom line is I dont care if Jamarcus Russell is throwing the ball - Dez turned 132 fucking targets last year... into like 880 yards. That's ... mind boggling... inefficiency. Its not all on the QB and it sure as fuck isnt only because Romo retired. The other Dallas WRs were lot more efficient with their targets.
Yep.  
Keith : 4/16/2018 4:32 pm : link
There are a lot of reasons WR's have success and the QB def plays a role, but you couldn't spell it out any better MAB.
RE: He's right in that QBs do matter,,  
giants#1 : 4/16/2018 5:03 pm : link
In comment 13916333 MetsAreBack said:
Quote:
of course they do, we all knew that already. I was just put-off by the needlessly condescending way he went about his argument.

Bottom line is I dont care if Jamarcus Russell is throwing the ball - Dez turned 132 fucking targets last year... into like 880 yards. That's ... mind boggling... inefficiency. Its not all on the QB and it sure as fuck isnt only because Romo retired. The other Dallas WRs were lot more efficient with their targets.


I agree that Dez has lost a step (or three), but that last part isn't true:

Yards/Reception
Code:

_ _ _ __ 2016 _ 2017 __ %Diff
Witten: __ 9.8 __ 8.9 __ -9.18
Beasley:_ 11.1 __ 8.7 _ -21.62
Dez:_ _ _ 15.9 _ 12.1 _ -23.90
Williams: 13.5 _ 10.7 _ -20.74
Elliott:_ 11.3 _ 10.3 __ -8.85


Yards/Target
Code:

_ _ _ __ 2016 _ 2017 __ %Diff
Witten: __ 7.1 __ 6.4 __ -9.86
Beasley: _ 8.5 __ 5.0 _ -41.18 (5.0 is not an error)
Dez:_ _ __ 8.3 __ 6.4 _ -22.89
Williams:_ 9.7 __ 7.3 _ -24.74
Elliott:__ 9.3 __ 7.1 _ -23.66


Sorry for all the underscores, but BBI makes it very difficult to post readable tables.

Dez was far from the only Cowboy to see his numbers take a significant dip this year. Each of their top 5 receiving targets saw a significant drop in both yards/reception and yards/target. Dez and Witten actually caught nearly the same % of targets in both 2016 and 2017. For Witten, it was right around his career average (72.4%) but Dez has seen a significant drop since his injury (and Romo's injury/retirement).

To put Beasley's 5.0 yards/target in perspective, Darkwa averages about 4.8 y/tgt for his career. Anyone want to throw him the ball more?
should emphasize  
giants#1 : 4/16/2018 5:05 pm : link
Dez led the Cowboys in yards/reception and was tied for 3rd in yards/target.
Thanks giants#1  
MetsAreBack : 4/16/2018 6:14 pm : link
for pulling together the stats. But my comment above was clearly talking about Yards per Target. We all know Dez dropped a lot of balls last year and we keep talking about the 133 targets... with a catch rate barely over 50%, yards per reception isnt a particularly relevant metric.

So... He was less efficient than Terrance Williams and Zeke. He was also more inefficient than Brice Butler, who i'm assuming you didnt list above because of sample size, but who was 13.2 yards per target with 317 yards on 24 targets.
Rod Smith was 8.8 yards per target too  
MetsAreBack : 4/16/2018 6:23 pm : link
so not sure where you are getting your little soundbite about "3rd on the team in yards per target"

He was tied for 5th on the team among 7 guys over 20 targets... with 35-yr old plodder Jason Witten... above only Cole Beasley. Is this something you'd like to tout?

I'd like to know where 6.3 yards per target stacks up around the league.

Anyway, he's an emotional guy and if he really wants to cost himself millions to play on a one year prove it deal for us or another NFCE team... i guess i'd entertain that... but as emotions subside, my guess is he'll make a more rational decision and go someplace - Carolina, Seattle, Chicago, Baltimore, maybe Vegas - that is a little more desperate and will be willing to give him more guaranteed $.
It seems like people are so interested in throwing hate at Dez  
Ten Ton Hammer : 4/16/2018 7:12 pm : link
that they're reserving criticism for Dak. Dak is the one getting pushed like a superstar when he's done nothing. Why the hell is that guy getting TV commercials. He's an arrogant douche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo43rQRBtYI
MAB  
giants#1 : 4/17/2018 10:18 am : link
I was just looking at their top 5 WRs (in targets and receptions). Smith/Butler barely averaged 1 target per game.

And the larger point was that all of their receivers (including TE/RB here) saw a major dip in the efficiency numbers last season. The lone exception was Brice Butler who had less than 1 catch/game.

So there is *some* merit to Homer's point that Dak sucked.
yards/target (min 20 receptions)  
giants#1 : 4/17/2018 10:33 am : link
Notables:

- 203 WR/RB/TE qualified (>20 receptions)
- JuJu Smith-Schuster led the league at 11.61 y/t
- Julio - 13th with 9.76 y/t
- Antonio Brown 17th at 9.4 y/t
- Shepard was the top Giants WR in 37th with 8.70 y/t
- New Dallas #1 WR Allen Hurns was 38th with 8.64 y/t
- Dez was 138th in the NFL at 6.35 y/t - well below average
- 'Average' was Randall Cobb (102nd overall) at 7.10 y/t - still .75 yards/tgt better than Dez
- Only other Giants that finished above average are Beckham (87th with 7.37 y/t) and Ellison (90th with 7.34 y/t)
- Engram was a pretty poor 140th with only 6.28 y/t - drops played a big role here as he only caught 55.7% of balls compared to Ellison bringing in 75%

Link - ( New Window )
There is no merit to homers point,  
Keith : 4/17/2018 10:34 am : link
because his point was that Dez is the same guy with a bad QB. The reality is that there were a lot of factors into Dez's production with the QB being one of them. I think most will agree that Dak isn't Romo and Dak is not a great QB for production at the WR position. The whole story though....Dez is not the same guy since the injury.
Dak is def the most overrated player in the NFL, IMO  
Keith : 4/17/2018 10:41 am : link
and we saw that last year when the OL wasn't dominant and they didn't run the ball at 6 yards a clip.
RE: There is no merit to homers point,  
giants#1 : 4/17/2018 10:43 am : link
In comment 13917232 Keith said:
Quote:
because his point was that Dez is the same guy with a bad QB. The reality is that there were a lot of factors into Dez's production with the QB being one of them. I think most will agree that Dak isn't Romo and Dak is not a great QB for production at the WR position. The whole story though....Dez is not the same guy since the injury.


Well, if he thinks Dez is still prime Dez, then he's an idiot. He's definitely lost some explosion since the injury. But his numbers have also suffered because Romo >>> Dak. It's somewhat amazing how little flak Dak's taken for their disappointing 2017.
Agreed  
Keith : 4/17/2018 10:46 am : link
on all accounts. I think most of us are on the same page.
RE: Dak is def the most overrated player in the NFL, IMO  
arcarsenal : 4/17/2018 11:11 am : link
In comment 13917242 Keith said:
Quote:
and we saw that last year when the OL wasn't dominant and they didn't run the ball at 6 yards a clip.


Yup. He got way too much credit for being a game manager in 2016. He's not good.
RE: RE: Dak is def the most overrated player in the NFL, IMO  
giants#1 : 4/17/2018 11:15 am : link
In comment 13917294 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
In comment 13917242 Keith said:


Quote:


and we saw that last year when the OL wasn't dominant and they didn't run the ball at 6 yards a clip.



Yup. He got way too much credit for being a game manager in 2016. He's not good.


Hopefully they give him a big deal for $20M+ per year before realizing it...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner