Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

How the top 4 QBs in draft compare to NFLís Top 15 QBs

gidiefor : Mod : 4/15/2018 8:01 am
Quote:
With the Giants and Jets possibly primed to select quarterbacks next week, The Post examined some of the characteristics of the top 15 current NFL quarterbacks (based on average QBR over past three seasons) displayed coming out of college to see if anything could be gleaned from it and how the top four quarterbacks in this yearís draft compare. Here is what we found:

- more - ( New Window )
it would be interesting if  
George from PA : 4/15/2018 8:10 am : link
the Giants grab Darnold and The Jets grab Rosen.....

this comparison is a bit over the top...I expected more comparison of style vs. hand size.
I have to admit -- after reading this stat comparison  
gidiefor : Mod : 4/15/2018 8:11 am : link
it shook my views up on the QBs in the draft a little -- It convinced me that Darnold is probably a better choice than Rosen --

but there are serious questions with each of these prospects in terms of production and measurables -- each one of them is a crap shoot when viewed against the measurables of good NFL QBs - and especially as compared to some of the great ones who came into the NFL with real issues -- do they have the grit, work ethic, and desire to be great and do what it takes in the NFL -- that really is the question?

The truth is that each of them probably have enough skills to be NFL QBs -- but success in the NFL is hard to attain -- and your attitude, personality and approach to the NFL grind becomes a seriously real factor

Look at Eric Flowers -- he's a kid that has all the tools to be great at Tackle -- but has a piss poor attitude -- and has become a borderline average player -- the same with Ryan Leaf -- it was all between the ears with him -- he certainly have the tools
RE: I have to admit -- after reading this stat comparison  
Brown Recluse : 4/15/2018 8:14 am : link
In comment 13914584 gidiefor said:
Quote:
it shook my views up on the QBs in the draft a little -- It convinced me that Darnold is probably a better choice than Rosen --

but there are serious questions with each of these prospects in terms of production and measurables -- each one of them is a crap shoot when viewed against the measurables of good NFL QBs - and especially as compared to some of the great ones who came into the NFL with real issues -- do they have the grit, work ethic, and desire to be great and do what it takes in the NFL -- that really is the question?

The truth is that each of them probably have enough skills to be NFL QBs -- but success in the NFL is hard to attain -- and your attitude, personality and approach to the NFL grind becomes a seriously real factor

Look at Eric Flowers -- he's a kid that has all the tools to be great at Tackle -- but has a piss poor attitude -- and has become a borderline average player -- the same with Ryan Leaf -- it was all between the ears with him -- he certainly have the tools


This is why Iím glad we have Shurmur. I think heíll identify the right guy, and if he doesnt pck one, Iíll be ok with it because he knows what he wants.
Folks didn't like flowers before he was picked.  
ZogZerg : 4/15/2018 8:31 am : link
He was a total reach and need pick by Reese.
Flowers didnít have all the tools for LT  
TD : 4/15/2018 8:47 am : link
Many, including I, thought he was a RT at best. He disnít have LT feet and all this talk of his technique (which sucked/sucks) gets away from the fact that he doesnít have and never has had LT feet. He was picked about 15 spots too early and we see why.

Anyway.. vent over.. back to the topic at hand.
RE: Flowers didnít have all the tools for LT  
Mike from Ohio : 4/15/2018 9:20 am : link
In comment 13914616 TD said:
Quote:
Many, including I, thought he was a RT at best. He disnít have LT feet and all this talk of his technique (which sucked/sucks) gets away from the fact that he doesnít have and never has had LT feet. He was picked about 15 spots too early and we see why.

Anyway.. vent over.. back to the topic at hand.


This is spot on. Flowers' dedications dn effort are certainly questionable, but he is not a prototypical LT that just isn't panning out. His footwork was never elite enough to warrant where he was picked.
To me it looks like Darnold and Rosen are pretty neck-and-neck  
TD : 4/15/2018 9:21 am : link
Iíd be happy with either and wouldnít be surprised if either was our pick.
If you look at interceptions per start, Darnold and Rosen are about  
Ivan15 : 4/15/2018 10:37 am : link
even. That isnít considering fumbles lost either. Mayfield blows both away.

If you donít consider the height limitation or the quality of play, Mayfield really dominates.

Somebody is going to end up with Napoleon and a very competitive QB.
RE: RE: I have to admit -- after reading this stat comparison  
GMen23 : 4/15/2018 10:51 am : link
In comment 13914587 Brown Recluse said:
Quote:
In comment 13914584 gidiefor said:


Quote:


it shook my views up on the QBs in the draft a little -- It convinced me that Darnold is probably a better choice than Rosen --

but there are serious questions with each of these prospects in terms of production and measurables -- each one of them is a crap shoot when viewed against the measurables of good NFL QBs - and especially as compared to some of the great ones who came into the NFL with real issues -- do they have the grit, work ethic, and desire to be great and do what it takes in the NFL -- that really is the question?

The truth is that each of them probably have enough skills to be NFL QBs -- but success in the NFL is hard to attain -- and your attitude, personality and approach to the NFL grind becomes a seriously real factor


This is why Iím glad we have Shurmur. I think heíll identify the right guy, and if he doesnt pck one, Iíll be ok with it because he knows what he wants.



In 2004, I sunk in my seat when Eli was picked by the Chargers. But when we picked Rivers, I knew a trade was coming. I was convinced for more than a week, the Giants liked Ben, more than Phil.

But this year, I have never been more mystified about what way are we leaning at 2!
The only thing i noticed from this article...  
Jarvis : 4/15/2018 11:19 am : link
They have Tyrod Taylor in the top 15

They do not have Eli in the top 15

Tyrod Taylor is 28

Eli is 37

Yet the Browns need a QB like air and the Giants don't??

Not saying I agree with their opinion. Just point out the hypocrisy in the media.

They also listed Darnold's height wrong...he is shorter than Rosen...no big deal, but please be accurate if you are a professional writer.

And finally...I am not sure how this article convinced anybody of anything in regards to which QB to take. There are really no conclusions that can be drawn from the data here.
Thanks for posting an article that makes the case  
twostepgiants : 4/15/2018 11:26 am : link
For drafting a QB at 2.

The article shows that we have a 37 year old QB who is not considered top 15 in the NFL.

A clearer case for QB cannot be made.
The 2nd Overall Pick Is Still About BPA  
Trainmaster : 4/15/2018 2:25 pm : link
You don't draft a QB at 2nd overall just because your QB is 37 years old.

If you're wrong, you set the franchise back for years.

I'm coming to the conclusion a team with an older QB is better off spending a 3rd round pick every year or a 2nd round pick every other year than taking a 50/50 (at best) chance at a first round QB unless there is a clear, consensus number one pick (which there isn't in 2018).
RE: If you look at interceptions per start, Darnold and Rosen are about  
fanofthejets : 4/16/2018 5:07 pm : link
In comment 13914674 Ivan15 said:
Quote:
even. That isnít considering fumbles lost either. Mayfield blows both away.

If you donít consider the height limitation or the quality of play, Mayfield really dominates.

Somebody is going to end up with Napoleon and a very competitive QB.


Big Mayfield fan but he has his warts and concerns. Height and seeing the middle of the field. The paucity of play under center and how he'll do if kept in the pocket for long stretches. The attitude and such. I like it. Brash and competitive but he can go off the rails.

He has a great arm though and has shown to able to put the ball in tight, rapidly closing windows. Though the sample size isn't huge because of the team he played on.
Back to the Corner