Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Kay Adams: "Giants over-hyping Saquon Barkley"

Eric from BBI : Admin : 5/15/2018 12:19 pm
I'm paraphrasing, but she raised an interesting point that I think some folks on BBI have mentioned. She thinks the Giants are doing a disservice to Barkley and the team by over-hyping Barkley. My guess is she was mostly talking about Gettleman's comments, but it raises an interesting question.

Would a 1,200 yard rookie season be a disappointment for most fans? How about 10 touchdowns?

What is YOUR expectation level with Barkley.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 <<Prev | Show All |  Next>>
I donít think we should be measuring SBís  
DonnieD89 : 5/15/2018 5:32 pm : link
rushing yards and pass catching or total yards for that matter. His sucess should be measured by the Giants total offense. SB should make everyone better. I donít care if SB is rushing for 600 yards or 1800 yards. I expect the Giants to be in the top 5 in the leaugue in total offense. Need to think what the Rams put up when they had ďThe greatest show on turfĒ.
Elliot  
darren in pdx : 5/15/2018 5:37 pm : link
was just shy 2,000 all-purpose yards his rookie year, and that was behind a very good o-line. As someone said before, football is not a stat game, Barkley was chosen because how he could positively affect the entire offense. That said, if he doesn't break 1,000 rushing after 16 games if the o-line is finally at least playing at an average level, that would be disappointing.
lot of talent at skill positions  
bc4life : 5/15/2018 5:43 pm : link
legitimate set of triplets - Beckham, Barkley, & Engram. And they have some decent supporting cast Shepard & Stewart. Keep an eye out for Latimer & Adams.

If they establish the run like they want to - look for everyone's numbers to be very good, but no one will be breaking records because of spreading the pill around.

The issue is not just the # of Yards SB gets but if he is dangerous enough to make teams game plan for him, hence Shurmur's comments about legitimate run game = realistic chance of play action working. He could have around 1000 yards and help the offense tremendously because they have to play the run honestly every play.

And they are working towards building a line that anyone could run behind
You may well see guys  
bc4life : 5/15/2018 5:47 pm : link
like Latimer, Adams, Lewis scoring more TDs than expected because the others will draw so much attention.

But, it all begins with the run game.
I expect stats like this,  
DonnieD89 : 5/15/2018 6:01 pm : link
and by the way, Marshall Faulk lead the team in receiving yards. Very impressive. Could see Saquon doing that at some point.
Link - ( New Window )
I still canít get over the people  
UConn4523 : 5/15/2018 6:12 pm : link
who think you can just pick up a back later in the draft. Weíve been doing that for a decade, we keep cutting guys, they all suck. Iím tired of it, get a Fucking legit player and worry about the rest of the roster.

Good for the teams that got good RBs later, unfortunately it hasnít been us for a while.
RE: The bitterness displayed here in regards to Barkley being selected  
mfsd : 5/15/2018 6:14 pm : link
In comment 13964645 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
over a QB is something to behold.

It's like you guys are just waiting to pounce. It almost seems like you want him to fail because you'd rather be right than have the Giants do well or have Barkley succeed.


Post of the year so far re: Barkley/draft.
Some of you really are miserable  
djm : 5/15/2018 7:18 pm : link
Youíre going to really hold gettleman to those comments he made about Hall of fame and touched by god or whatever... and what, if Barkely tweaks a hammy or turns an ankle or merely plays at a very good slightly under elite Level his first 20 games or so, then what? Pitchforks and constant fucking bitching. And why? Because the GM loved the player and told the fan base he loved the player?

Heís a special fucking talent. The GM, EVERY GM agrees. So he said Barkley is a blessed human being!! Shut the fuck up and hope for the best and enjoy it. Some of you have placed a bullseye on the GM because he told the fans the truth?
And please...  
djm : 5/15/2018 7:22 pm : link
Just because itís possible to find a good rb in round 2-3 doesnít mean itís fucking easy nor is a 2nd or 3rd round pick a cheap throw away pick anyway. Barkley has off the charts potential.

No one gives the LA Rams shit for taking Dickerson at pick 2 when 3-4 good or great QBs were drafted after.



...  
christian : 5/15/2018 7:34 pm : link
I'll go on record to say I wanted Darnold, and believe the Jets will win a playoff game before the Giants.

I believe the Giants were in every way a 3-13 team, and do not have the talent nor time to improve to playoff caliber in the time Manning has left as a competent NFL QB.

I don't believe the improvements to the line are all that transformative and that one of John Jerry or Erick Flowers will be an opening day starter.

I'm curious to see if Manning is asked to change his drop-back and footwork in the new system, and I will not be surprised if the new system and 4-5 new starters on the line create growing pains that last a lot of the season.

I also feel that a new system on defense will have bumps and the beginning of the year will look pretty bad on that side of the ball.

I expect a 9-7 type year with a late rebound. I expect the same type of year in 2019 as the QB declines more.

I don't think Barkley is enough to pull this team from awful to championship contender.

I fully expect Barkley to have fine rush numbers. I don't see how he'll improve the QB's ability to throw accurately short, so I don't expect big number in the pass game.

In a league where average QB play can cost 20M, I would have opted for the chance of above average QB play at 6M.

I'll be absolutely thrilled if I'm wrong. I love when the Giants are good, and I don't care much how and with whom.
Christian  
UConn4523 : 5/15/2018 7:39 pm : link
while you could very well be right, you can easily be wrong. Fortunes change on a dime in the NFL, happens every year. And 3-13 is pretty irrelevant for me. Injuries and a complete and utter disaster of a HC and GM played the biggest role there. Itís amazing what new leadership does, happens often.

Weíve got our first legit LT and RB in ages, that alone would be a great offseason but we also upgraded at LB and likely LG right out of the gates. Add in a healthy Beckham and you have a really good foundation with 2 new coaches who seem to be ahead of the curve with their respective units.

Donít know why anyone wouldnít be optimistic.
RE: Some of you really are miserable  
Ten Ton Hammer : 5/15/2018 7:39 pm : link
In comment 13964865 djm said:
Quote:
Youíre going to really hold gettleman to those comments he made about Hall of fame and touched by god or whatever... and what, if Barkely tweaks a hammy or turns an ankle or merely plays at a very good slightly under elite Level his first 20 games or so, then what? Pitchforks and constant fucking bitching. And why? Because the GM loved the player and told the fan base he loved the player?

Heís a special fucking talent. The GM, EVERY GM agrees. So he said Barkley is a blessed human being!! Shut the fuck up and hope for the best and enjoy it. Some of you have placed a bullseye on the GM because he told the fans the truth?


He's a paid professional speaking as a representative for a his franchise at a press conference. It's an entirely different scenario than some knucklehead on BBI declaring Barkley an instant hall of famer because football fans act like football fans. There's no situation where the people who actually have their finger on the big red button should be acting like the average fan.

Also, take a pill. It's a discussion board. If you're sick of talking about a particular topic go take a walk.
And again  
UConn4523 : 5/15/2018 7:42 pm : link
people care way too much about press conferences. We have a GM whoís a bit of an oddball comedian, yet we want to take everything he says as gospel? Makes no sense. He picked the best player in the draft, I couldnít care less what he said. Move on.
RE: And again  
Ten Ton Hammer : 5/15/2018 7:43 pm : link
In comment 13964890 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
people care way too much about press conferences. We have a GM whoís a bit of an oddball comedian, yet we want to take everything he says as gospel? Makes no sense. He picked the best player in the draft, I couldnít care less what he said. Move on.


I'd be fine with this take if we held players to the same standard, but we don't. When players say something other than nothing at press conferences, people get bent out of shape about that.
Maybe some people  
UConn4523 : 5/15/2018 7:49 pm : link
but I couldnít care less there either. These are all forced interviews. Players want to go home. Coaches and GMs donít want to answer the same questions over and over. If someone had a mic in my face asking me questions on the ride home from work Iíd tell them to fuck off.

Outside of being outlandishly rude or vulgar, these press conferences mean absolutely nothing and shouldnít be used as a barometer for competence.
RE: Maybe some people  
Ten Ton Hammer : 5/15/2018 7:49 pm : link
In comment 13964902 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
but I couldnít care less there either. These are all forced interviews. Players want to go home. Coaches and GMs donít want to answer the same questions over and over. If someone had a mic in my face asking me questions on the ride home from work Iíd tell them to fuck off.

Outside of being outlandishly rude or vulgar, these press conferences mean absolutely nothing and shouldnít be used as a barometer for competence.


I entirely agree with you.
RE: RE: And again  
BigBlueShock : 5/15/2018 8:05 pm : link
In comment 13964893 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
In comment 13964890 UConn4523 said:


Quote:


people care way too much about press conferences. We have a GM whoís a bit of an oddball comedian, yet we want to take everything he says as gospel? Makes no sense. He picked the best player in the draft, I couldnít care less what he said. Move on.



I'd be fine with this take if we held players to the same standard, but we don't. When players say something other than nothing at press conferences, people get bent out of shape about that.

The funny part about your post is that it is mostly (if not completely) the QB crowd that is taking an obvious joking statement and making this some huge deal. If Gettleman said that Darnold was touched by the hand of God, those on that side would be pumping their fists in agreement. But since they didnít get the player they wanted, Gettleman is now a bungling idiot that talks too much.

I wanted a QB too, but there is a segment on this site that have lost their damned minds
RE: RE: RE: And again  
Ten Ton Hammer : 5/15/2018 8:11 pm : link
In comment 13964926 BigBlueShock said:
Quote:
In comment 13964893 Ten Ton Hammer said:


Quote:


In comment 13964890 UConn4523 said:


Quote:


people care way too much about press conferences. We have a GM whoís a bit of an oddball comedian, yet we want to take everything he says as gospel? Makes no sense. He picked the best player in the draft, I couldnít care less what he said. Move on.



I'd be fine with this take if we held players to the same standard, but we don't. When players say something other than nothing at press conferences, people get bent out of shape about that.


The funny part about your post is that it is mostly (if not completely) the QB crowd that is taking an obvious joking statement and making this some huge deal. If Gettleman said that Darnold was touched by the hand of God, those on that side would be pumping their fists in agreement. But since they didnít get the player they wanted, Gettleman is now a bungling idiot that talks too much.

I wanted a QB too, but there is a segment on this site that have lost their damned minds


Even if you pushed the entire topic of the draft aside, I think he does like to work a room a bit too much. And why not, he learned at Ernie Accorsi's feet. Another guy who could have made a career out of public speaking.

It can be just as bad a thing as the GM that says nothing and avoids the media like a plague. Accorsi got bitten by his chatterbox nature.
Think itís more that people donít want to like him  
Bill L : 5/15/2018 8:16 pm : link
Maybe they didnít want him in the first place, maybe he made a decision or a ..ahem..pick...that they didnít like, so the seize upon any trivial piece of nothing and blow it up into an excuse to be pissed off and carp.
Seizing on a trivial piece of nothing  
Jimmy Googs : 5/15/2018 8:21 pm : link
is a specialty for some around here...
Having watched all of his press conferences  
Ten Ton Hammer : 5/15/2018 8:25 pm : link
To this point, I donít think itís impossible to see how he might rub people the wrong way, coupled with the fact that he came with the reputation of doing so in his last job as well.

But to your point, yeah, I think there is some pushback. There is a fraction of the membership here that is set on thinking that just because the last guy was fired that decisions going forward are the right ones and arenít worth discussing. When the team is way under .500 over the past five years, sure, any hire and any draft pick can be questioned. It might be a good hire or it might now. The team hasnít given reason for anyone to trust blindly.
RE: Having watched all of his press conferences  
BigBlueShock : 5/15/2018 8:27 pm : link
In comment 13964980 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
To this point, I donít think itís impossible to see how he might rub people the wrong way, coupled with the fact that he came with the reputation of doing so in his last job as well.

But to your point, yeah, I think there is some pushback. There is a fraction of the membership here that is set on thinking that just because the last guy was fired that decisions going forward are the right ones and arenít worth discussing. When the team is way under .500 over the past five years, sure, any hire and any draft pick can be questioned. It might be a good hire or it might now. The team hasnít given reason for anyone to trust blindly.

If thatís how you choose to go through life, have at it
I donít understand ďtrustĒ either  
UConn4523 : 5/15/2018 8:32 pm : link
I have no control over what happens, none of us do. I hope the Giants are good, thats about it.
Anything less than ROY  
The_Boss : 5/15/2018 9:00 pm : link
And a NYG playoff berth and Iíd consider it a disappointment. Say he accounts for 1700 yards and scores 8-10 tds while we go 6-10 or 7-9. Are we going to be happy?
RE: Anything less than ROY  
UConn4523 : 5/15/2018 9:06 pm : link
In comment 13965037 The_Boss said:
Quote:
And a NYG playoff berth and Iíd consider it a disappointment. Say he accounts for 1700 yards and scores 8-10 tds while we go 6-10 or 7-9. Are we going to be happy?


If he puts up 1,700 yards and 10 TDs and we only win 6 games, itís fair to assume that he isnít the problem.

Was Barkley drafted to save this franchise or to play his part and help his team succeed? Iím starting to think many here expect 16-0 or bust. It makes no damn sense the world some of you live in.
RE: Anything less than ROY  
BigBlueShock : 5/15/2018 9:07 pm : link
In comment 13965037 The_Boss said:
Quote:
And a NYG playoff berth and Iíd consider it a disappointment. Say he accounts for 1700 yards and scores 8-10 tds while we go 6-10 or 7-9. Are we going to be happy?

Did football suddenly become an individual sport? We canít be happy with the player moving forward yet unhappy with the team results? When did this all happen? We have resorted to one single rookie leading a 3-13 team to the playoffs all by himself? Is this serious?
RE: RE: Anything less than ROY  
BigBlueShock : 5/15/2018 9:10 pm : link
In comment 13965051 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
In comment 13965037 The_Boss said:


Quote:


And a NYG playoff berth and Iíd consider it a disappointment. Say he accounts for 1700 yards and scores 8-10 tds while we go 6-10 or 7-9. Are we going to be happy?



If he puts up 1,700 yards and 10 TDs and we only win 6 games, itís fair to assume that he isnít the problem.

Was Barkley drafted to save this franchise or to play his part and help his team succeed? Iím starting to think many here expect 16-0 or bust. It makes no damn sense the world some of you live in.

It is becoming apparent that all these guys fully expect Darnold, Rosen and Allen to lead their teams to undefeated records this season.
RE: Anything less than ROY  
chopperhatch : 5/15/2018 9:13 pm : link
In comment 13965037 The_Boss said:
Quote:
And a NYG playoff berth and Iíd consider it a disappointment. Say he accounts for 1700 yards and scores 8-10 tds while we go 6-10 or 7-9. Are we going to be happy?


Considering youre an Eagles fan, yea. Id be thrilled.

Eat a horse shit flavored dick you schmendrick.
RE: RE: Anything less than ROY  
The_Boss : 5/15/2018 9:17 pm : link
In comment 13965062 chopperhatch said:
Quote:
In comment 13965037 The_Boss said:


Quote:


And a NYG playoff berth and Iíd consider it a disappointment. Say he accounts for 1700 yards and scores 8-10 tds while we go 6-10 or 7-9. Are we going to be happy?



Considering youre an Eagles fan, yea. Id be thrilled.

Eat a horse shit flavored dick you schmendrick.


Iím no Eagle fan. Maybe one day your stupid ass will figure it out. Until then, go fuck your fist and find a cock to tickle your tonsils with.
RE: RE: Anything less than ROY  
BigBlueShock : 5/15/2018 9:35 pm : link
In comment 13965051 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
In comment 13965037 The_Boss said:


Quote:


And a NYG playoff berth and Iíd consider it a disappointment. Say he accounts for 1700 yards and scores 8-10 tds while we go 6-10 or 7-9. Are we going to be happy?



If he puts up 1,700 yards and 10 TDs and we only win 6 games, itís fair to assume that he isnít the problem.

Was Barkley drafted to save this franchise or to play his part and help his team succeed? Iím starting to think many here expect 16-0 or bust. It makes no damn sense the world some of you live in.

It really is amazing. So if Barkley puts up the numbers that The_Boss suggests and the Giants end up 7-9, it is ABSOLUTELY a bad pick! Never mind the 60000 reasons the season could have gone down the tubes. Maybe the defense sucks ass and they lose games by giving up 30 points per game? Maybe the OL still sucks balls? Maybe special teams continue to be an embarrassment?

Nope, doesnít matter. Barkley needs to lead this 3-13 team to the playoffs this season because he only signed a one year deal and his contributions end after this season. Unlike one of the QBs. Those guys would have led us to a Super Bowl this season, AND, the best part about drafting a QB rather than a RB is that QBs will actually be around after this season! No matter how awful they may end up, they get to sign longer rookie deals than RBs so that is awesome. So Barkley has to be the best player ever, but everyone else can suck because I wanted those other guys, damn it!
RE: Christian  
christian : 5/15/2018 9:50 pm : link
In comment 13964887 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
while you could very well be right, you can easily be wrong. Fortunes change on a dime in the NFL, happens every year. And 3-13 is pretty irrelevant for me. Injuries and a complete and utter disaster of a HC and GM played the biggest role there. Itís amazing what new leadership does, happens often.

Weíve got our first legit LT and RB in ages, that alone would be a great offseason but we also upgraded at LB and likely LG right out of the gates. Add in a healthy Beckham and you have a really good foundation with 2 new coaches who seem to be ahead of the curve with their respective units.

Donít know why anyone wouldnít be optimistic.


I won't be shocked if the team is better, but I will be shocked if they are a championship-type team in the next 2 years. Frankly, I don't believe the quarterback play will be good enough to carry the team, and don't believe the talent will be there to carry him.

This has been my take since before the draft.

I'm not staking any claims on my opinion. Just how I feel.

I would have started fresh with a new QB, because I think the team has all the markings of a really bad team.

New coach, new system, and yes some better players. But I don't think it's 8 games better. I think Barkley is a complete stud, and a tremendous kid. And I think when there is a better QB he has a chance to win a ring.
I expect one thing from Barkley  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 5/15/2018 9:57 pm : link
To be the murderous underneath receiver like Steve Smith driving DCs nuts and requiring triple coverage out of frustration. The 2008 Giants offense was the best Giants offense I have seen and we need to get back to it.
RE: RE: Christian  
BigBlueShock : 5/15/2018 10:06 pm : link
In comment 13965105 christian said:
Quote:
In comment 13964887 UConn4523 said:


Quote:


while you could very well be right, you can easily be wrong. Fortunes change on a dime in the NFL, happens every year. And 3-13 is pretty irrelevant for me. Injuries and a complete and utter disaster of a HC and GM played the biggest role there. Itís amazing what new leadership does, happens often.

Weíve got our first legit LT and RB in ages, that alone would be a great offseason but we also upgraded at LB and likely LG right out of the gates. Add in a healthy Beckham and you have a really good foundation with 2 new coaches who seem to be ahead of the curve with their respective units.

Donít know why anyone wouldnít be optimistic.



I won't be shocked if the team is better, but I will be shocked if they are a championship-type team in the next 2 years. Frankly, I don't believe the quarterback play will be good enough to carry the team, and don't believe the talent will be there to carry him.

This has been my take since before the draft.

I'm not staking any claims on my opinion. Just how I feel.

I would have started fresh with a new QB, because I think the team has all the markings of a really bad team.

New coach, new system, and yes some better players. But I don't think it's 8 games better. I think Barkley is a complete stud, and a tremendous kid. And I think when there is a better QB he has a chance to win a ring.

So whoís your QB? You gonna pick one or are you just gonna take the popular choice around here of picking them all, and seeing which one turns out the best so you can say ď I told you! We should have drafted him!Ē?

Maybe the guy the Giants picked (if they went tat route)turns out to be dog shit? Would you be happy just because they folded to the masses and picked a QB that they didnít believe in just because the mass hysteria from the fans said they had to take one?
RE: RE: RE: Christian  
christian : 5/15/2018 10:31 pm : link
BigBlueShock said:
Quote:


So whoís your QB? You gonna pick one or are you just gonna take the popular choice around here of picking them all, and seeing which one turns out the best so you can say ď I told you! We should have drafted him!Ē?

Maybe the guy the Giants picked (if they went tat route)turns out to be dog shit? Would you be happy just because they folded to the masses and picked a QB that they didnít believe in just because the mass hysteria from the fans said they had to take one?


Just scroll up champ:

Quote:


..
christian : 7:34 pm : link : reply
I'll go on record to say I wanted Darnold, and believe the Jets will win a playoff game before the Giants.

...

I'll be absolutely thrilled if I'm wrong. I love when the Giants are good, and I don't care much how and with whom.

RE: Eric are you kidding me?  
Anakim : 5/15/2018 10:55 pm : link
In comment 13964504 The 12th Man said:
Quote:
She knows as much about football as Anakim does. She was the in play baseball announcer for Cardinals baseball games not football games before she landed this gig.

Not worried about hyping him, the kid will have no issue dealing with it. I expect him to fall within the top 5 RB's in the league. I would love 8 to 10 rushing Td's and 4 receiving td's and 1,300 rushing yards for the year. He does that he will meet all the hype and Eli will look like he is 30 again.


I don't know who the hell you are, but fuck you
A few things  
WillVAB : 5/15/2018 11:52 pm : link
DG said more than just one comment about Barkley. The guy was glowing about Barkley well before the draft. I donít have a problem w DGís pressers, but this was a pivotal draft for the franchise. He needs to be right about Barkley.

Barkleyís success or failure isnít really about a bright line stats benchmark. Itís about how successful or impactful he is relative to the backs in the class and the other players the Giants couldíve drafted.
If the o line  
Rolyrock : 5/16/2018 2:11 am : link
Doesn't block we ain't going to be that much better.
RE: Anything less than ROY  
Big_Blue_in_the_Bronx : 5/16/2018 3:08 am : link
In comment 13965037 The_Boss said:
Quote:
And a NYG playoff berth and Iíd consider it a disappointment. Say he accounts for 1700 yards and scores 8-10 tds while we go 6-10 or 7-9. Are we going to be happy?


This team has upgraded almost all the critical components to having a championship contending team. From coaching to system to personnel. I am quite excited for the next couple of years.
I would  
St. Jimmy : 5/16/2018 5:41 am : link
say within three years there has to be no debate over who the best RB in 2018 NFL Draft. Hopefully that is answered this year but the offensive line will play a factor in that. That better be fixed within a season or two.
RE: A few things  
Bill L : 5/16/2018 7:09 am : link
In comment 13965184 WillVAB said:
Quote:
DG said more than just one comment about Barkley. The guy was glowing about Barkley well before the draft. I donít have a problem w DGís pressers, but this was a pivotal draft for the franchise. He needs to be right about Barkley.

Barkleyís success or failure isnít really about a bright line stats benchmark. Itís about how successful or impactful he is relative to the backs in the class and the other players the Giants couldíve drafted.

No. Only one thing matter; just one. Is the team better set for sustained winning.
It's so damn funny.....  
Britt in VA : 5/16/2018 7:26 am : link
If we had taken a QB, do you think the guys that wanted Barkley wouldn't be on board, and hopeful that he turned out great? No, pretty much everybody would have been hopeful that he was the guy to take the reigns from Eli in a year or two, because Eli's career is in fact winding down.

But this.... This ongoing reaction... I said several times that I was going to enjoy the freak out if we passed on a QB, but this was beyond my imagination. I feel like some of you have gone off the deep end with this. You need to get yourselves in check. It's getting a little embarrassing.

RE: It's so damn funny.....  
christian : 5/16/2018 7:50 am : link
In comment 13965240 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
If we had taken a QB, do you think the guys that wanted Barkley wouldn't be on board, and hopeful that he turned out great? No, pretty much everybody would have been hopeful that he was the guy to take the reigns from Eli in a year or two, because Eli's career is in fact winding down.

But this.... This ongoing reaction... I said several times that I was going to enjoy the freak out if we passed on a QB, but this was beyond my imagination. I feel like some of you have gone off the deep end with this. You need to get yourselves in check. It's getting a little embarrassing.



Who on this thread is going off the deep end? Seems like a generally benign conversation and most folks are being consistent with their opinions pre and post draft.
Barkley changes our offense, demands much attention  
SGMen : 5/16/2018 7:55 am : link
First, we've got to stay healthy to have any hope of having a winning record.
Second, if the OL holds up, well, Barkley will have an outstanding season.

My take is he'll run for 4.8+ ypc; 70 catches for 600+ yards; and, he'll protect Eli very well.

I also agree that over-hyping a player is not a good idea.
RE: It's so damn funny.....  
Gatorade Dunk : 5/16/2018 8:12 am : link
In comment 13965240 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
If we had taken a QB, do you think the guys that wanted Barkley wouldn't be on board, and hopeful that he turned out great? No, pretty much everybody would have been hopeful that he was the guy to take the reigns from Eli in a year or two, because Eli's career is in fact winding down.

But this.... This ongoing reaction... I said several times that I was going to enjoy the freak out if we passed on a QB, but this was beyond my imagination. I feel like some of you have gone off the deep end with this. You need to get yourselves in check. It's getting a little embarrassing.


Britt, for every poster that has taken a reasonable approach (particularly post-draft), there are still some who were anti-QB who have asked where all the pro-QB posters are now, asking if they have changed their tune or disappeared, etc.? Several posters (and this has been my feeling) engaged in the pre-draft debates because it was an open question at the time and we were discussing what we thought the Giants should/would/could do. Now that the draft is over, it's not productive to continue to pound the drum of whether you got the players you wanted (or didn't) in the draft, although some posters choose to do exactly that.

There are some fans that wanted a QB, but will root enthusiastically for Barkley to be an absolute superstar. There are some that wanted a QB and will look for excuses to be able to puff out their chest and say they were right all along. There are some fans who will root for every single player on the team with no room for criticism. There are some who will look to criticize every single player on the roster. There are some fans who trust Gettleman's judgment implicitly. There are some who are waiting to pounce on Gettleman as an extension and example of some sort of Mara cronyism.

The only universal truth of BBI, IMO, is that there is no way to bucket any particular category of posters together.
Even funnier, is that it takes like one poster who indicates he will  
Jimmy Googs : 5/16/2018 8:12 am : link
disappointed in the pick unless Barkley sets all-time rookie RB records (which is comical in itself), and it sets off the entire brigade of usual folks to scream...

- all the Eli-haters think Barkley stinks
- can't believe all the guys that still want a QB
- you all think Darnold is going to go undefeated
- this "negative reaction" is beyond my imagination
- Gettleman talks to God about his picks
- its amazing how they all want the Giants to fail

the BBI sewing-circle...
RE: Barkley changes our offense, demands much attention  
christian : 5/16/2018 8:15 am : link
In comment 13965252 SGMen said:
Quote:
First, we've got to stay healthy to have any hope of having a winning record.
Second, if the OL holds up, well, Barkley will have an outstanding season.

My take is he'll run for 4.8+ ypc; 70 catches for 600+ yards; and, he'll protect Eli very well.

I also agree that over-hyping a player is not a good idea.


Underrated quality will be pass protection.

I'm not convinced the offense line has turned the corner. I don't believe Omameh is much of an upgrade over Jerry and I won't be surprised if Flowers starts at RT.

If Jerry, Flowers, and Jones are 3 of the best 5 and out there playing, I am not going to be down on Barkley if his numbers aren't off the charts.
Donít ask me about...  
Chris in Philly : 5/16/2018 8:25 am : link
my business, Kay.

The subtext is there...  
Britt in VA : 5/16/2018 8:29 am : link
clearly.
I really wish people..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 5/16/2018 8:37 am : link
would have a better understanding of Gettleman's time in Carolina:

Quote:
Having watched all of his press conferences
Ten Ton Hammer : 5/15/2018 8:25 pm : link : reply
To this point, I donít think itís impossible to see how he might rub people the wrong way, coupled with the fact that he came with the reputation of doing so in his last job as well.


He really didn't have the reputation of rubbing people the wrong way in Carolina. The guys who didn't like him were the ones he cut or traded. He worked in an organization that had a drunk for a GM before him who put them in a salary cap mess (and has them headed there again), and an owner who has terrible lapses in judgement since his heart transplant years ago.

Gettleman still has one of the best lines I've heard from a GM. When he was fired for looking at what to do with Thomas Davis and Olsen (and that didn't mean he was going to trade or release them - he was just exploring the options), Richardson told him to just do his job. Gettleman told him "You aren't letting me do my job".

That's the kind of attitude I want here.
RE: RE: It's so damn funny.....  
Britt in VA : 5/16/2018 8:43 am : link
In comment 13965262 Gatorade Dunk said:
Quote:
In comment 13965240 Britt in VA said:


Quote:


If we had taken a QB, do you think the guys that wanted Barkley wouldn't be on board, and hopeful that he turned out great? No, pretty much everybody would have been hopeful that he was the guy to take the reigns from Eli in a year or two, because Eli's career is in fact winding down.

But this.... This ongoing reaction... I said several times that I was going to enjoy the freak out if we passed on a QB, but this was beyond my imagination. I feel like some of you have gone off the deep end with this. You need to get yourselves in check. It's getting a little embarrassing.




Britt, for every poster that has taken a reasonable approach (particularly post-draft), there are still some who were anti-QB who have asked where all the pro-QB posters are now, asking if they have changed their tune or disappeared, etc.? Several posters (and this has been my feeling) engaged in the pre-draft debates because it was an open question at the time and we were discussing what we thought the Giants should/would/could do. Now that the draft is over, it's not productive to continue to pound the drum of whether you got the players you wanted (or didn't) in the draft, although some posters choose to do exactly that.

There are some fans that wanted a QB, but will root enthusiastically for Barkley to be an absolute superstar. There are some that wanted a QB and will look for excuses to be able to puff out their chest and say they were right all along. There are some fans who will root for every single player on the team with no room for criticism. There are some who will look to criticize every single player on the roster. There are some fans who trust Gettleman's judgment implicitly. There are some who are waiting to pounce on Gettleman as an extension and example of some sort of Mara cronyism.

The only universal truth of BBI, IMO, is that there is no way to bucket any particular category of posters together.


Agree with that. It just seems that the bolded, while not an incredibly large contingent, are the most vocal and therefore get the most attention... whereas the unbolded in your description are more likely to just do this:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 <<Prev | Show All |  Next>>
Back to the Corner