Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Cristiano Ronaldo sold to Juventus

Big Rick in FL : 7/10/2018 11:38 am
Per a bunch of different sources it's a done deal. Sky Sports says its for £105 million pounds. Biggest transfer ever? Money wise it doesn't top what happened last summer, but the most popular player leaving the most popular club is a huge deal. I'm very sad about this.

Just waiting for the teams to announce it.
Now it's official  
Big Rick in FL : 7/10/2018 11:44 am : link
Damn I'm so sad
Never forget  
JoeyBigBlue : 7/10/2018 11:48 am : link
Go Terps saying that Cristiano would be a bust in La Liga.
450 goals in 438 appearances for Madrid  
Oscar : 7/10/2018 11:58 am : link
In all competitions. Absolutely ludicrous.

Not sure about the move for Juve, I guess they win the league every year regardless. Should be a lucrative asset for them for at least 1-2 more seasons.
Smart move...  
bw in dc : 7/10/2018 12:07 pm : link
by Real. CR7 is great, but he's 33 and sneaking up on the wrong side of the production curve.

So take the $120M and get younger and deeper.
As a Roma fan  
pierce58 : 7/10/2018 12:13 pm : link
I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand it's obviously great for Serie A, but the last thing I want is Juve to get even stronger.

I still think it's a net positive for the league and should make things exciting.

Forza Roma. Juve Merda
Who will Real get to replace  
JoeyBigBlue : 7/10/2018 12:16 pm : link
Ronaldo’s production? I’ve heard Neymar but I don’t see him leaving PSG after 1 season and the massive investment they made in him. I wonder what’s Mbappe’s buyout? What about Harry Kane?
RE: Who will Real get to replace  
Heisenberg : 7/10/2018 12:17 pm : link
In comment 14009849 JoeyBigBlue said:
Quote:
Ronaldo’s production? I’ve heard Neymar but I don’t see him leaving PSG after 1 season and the massive investment they made in him. I wonder what’s Mbappe’s buyout? What about Harry Kane?


As an LFC fan, let me say "Not Mo Salah, please".
replacement:  
pierce58 : 7/10/2018 12:22 pm : link
Mbappe being French and Parisian, I don't think he just leaves PSG that quickly. Sallah had an amazing year but he isn't a replacement for Ronaldo in my opinion.

No real reason for it but Neymar at Madrid could make sense for me.
Madrid will think, justifiably  
Oscar : 7/10/2018 12:22 pm : link
That they can get any player in the world aside from Messi or someone on Barcelona

They basically have unlimited resources, they are the biggest club in the world and they have the sales pitch of “come take Ronaldo’s spot and launch a new era”.

It’s pretty much just down to who they decide they want. And I doubt it’ll only be one player.
I could see Neymar...  
bw in dc : 7/10/2018 12:28 pm : link
or Lewandowski as the striker replacement target.
The plan was always Neymar  
Bobby Humphrey's Earpad : 7/10/2018 12:29 pm : link
Neymar went to PSG to get away from Messi.

I guess I better buy those Juve / Benfica tickets.
RE: Who will Real get to replace  
Big Rick in FL : 7/10/2018 12:30 pm : link
In comment 14009849 JoeyBigBlue said:
Quote:
Ronaldo’s production? I’ve heard Neymar but I don’t see him leaving PSG after 1 season and the massive investment they made in him. I wonder what’s Mbappe’s buyout? What about Harry Kane?


I think it's going to be Mbappe. About a week ago a French reporter said they had a deal agreed. The same reporter that broke Griezmann's extension and Lemar going to Atletico. Real put out a statement denying it. The reporter said 272 million euros paid in 4 payments.
RE: RE: Who will Real get to replace  
Big Rick in FL : 7/10/2018 12:32 pm : link
In comment 14009868 Big Rick in FL said:
Quote:
In comment 14009849 JoeyBigBlue said:


Quote:


Ronaldo’s production? I’ve heard Neymar but I don’t see him leaving PSG after 1 season and the massive investment they made in him. I wonder what’s Mbappe’s buyout? What about Harry Kane?



I think it's going to be Mbappe. About a week ago a French reporter said they had a deal agreed. The same reporter that broke Griezmann's extension and Lemar going to Atletico. Real put out a statement denying it. The reporter said 272 million euros paid in 4 payments.


Oddly enough Barca's mouthpiece newspaper had a story saying PSG would offer 270 for one of Neymar's good friend Coutinho.
Where a good place to sit at Red Bull stadium that isn't 145  
Bobby Humphrey's Earpad : 7/10/2018 12:36 pm : link
how are the seats in the goal areas either downstairs or up? I am not paying $150 unless it's the Giants
RE: RE: RE: Who will Real get to replace  
Big Rick in FL : 7/10/2018 12:38 pm : link
In comment 14009872 Big Rick in FL said:
Quote:
In comment 14009868 Big Rick in FL said:


Quote:


In comment 14009849 JoeyBigBlue said:


Quote:


Ronaldo’s production? I’ve heard Neymar but I don’t see him leaving PSG after 1 season and the massive investment they made in him. I wonder what’s Mbappe’s buyout? What about Harry Kane?



I think it's going to be Mbappe. About a week ago a French reporter said they had a deal agreed. The same reporter that broke Griezmann's extension and Lemar going to Atletico. Real put out a statement denying it. The reporter said 272 million euros paid in 4 payments.



Oddly enough Barca's mouthpiece newspaper had a story saying PSG would offer 270 for one of Neymar's good friend Coutinho.


Also El Chiringuito (They've been ahead on all the CR7 news) said there is no way Florentino would sell Cristiano without having a big name replacement already agree to a deal. So we will see.
Ive also heard rumors of Eden Hazard  
JoeyBigBlue : 7/10/2018 1:03 pm : link
He fits in the outside forward in a 4-3-3. But is he a big enough name to replace Ronaldo?
I'll admit I was wrong on Cristiano in La Liga  
Go Terps : 7/10/2018 1:05 pm : link
He did much better than I imagined. I was especially impressed by how he changed his game to basically be a target striker the last couple years. He was much better in that role than he ever was as a winger.

That said, it's worth mentioning that in his 9 years at Real Madrid they only won La Liga twice. That's 2 less than Real Madrid won in the previous 9 years. And despite the pomp around the Champions' League, it's the domestic competitions that matter most, and that are the best indicators of excellence (even Zinedine Zidane said as much after winning the Champions League again recently). The lack of La Liga excellence for Real Madrid obviously doesn't fall solely on Cristiano, but he was part of it. I don't expect Real Madrid will miss him. They'll score a similar number of goals this season and continue to compete for all titles. His success in Spain was always more about him than it was about the team, and it amuses me that the last 9 years in Spain will be remembered in the long term as Messi's and Barcelona's, and not Cristiano's and Real Madrid's.

He scored lots of goals and that's a credit to him and his work ethic, but he leaves Spain the way he lived there - whining about the personal attention he received.

And it feels like Real Madrid are angling for Neymar. Fitting replacement for Cristiano, and fitting for such a hideous club.
RE: Ive also heard rumors of Eden Hazard  
Big Rick in FL : 7/10/2018 1:36 pm : link
In comment 14009910 JoeyBigBlue said:
Quote:
He fits in the outside forward in a 4-3-3. But is he a big enough name to replace Ronaldo?


He is definitely a possibility. Especially since he's flat out said he's interested in Madrid numerous times this summer. If it's Hazard though I don't think it's just him. I think they'd bring in a pure Striker like Icardi.
Kane will cost an aboslute fortune  
moespree : 7/10/2018 1:41 pm : link
Just signed a new 6 year deal, face of the team and a brand new stadium opening that they have built around him being the marquee attraction. If they really want him they can afford him but it will be an insanely large transfer to get it done.

Hazard, Neymar and Mbappe are much more likely targets and I do suspect they will get at least one of them.
With the stadiums smaller than the NFL....  
njm : 7/10/2018 1:45 pm : link
do these teams get enough revenue from television and merchandise to pay for the acquisition costs and salaries?
RE: With the stadiums smaller than the NFL....  
Go Terps : 7/10/2018 1:53 pm : link
In comment 14009944 njm said:
Quote:
do these teams get enough revenue from television and merchandise to pay for the acquisition costs and salaries?


Many of the big clubs have lucrative deals all over the world, as well as the capacity to take on enormous amounts of debt. The Champions League clubs are practically state entities that are "too big to fail". They don't represent the vast majority of European soccer though. Real Madrid for example has players on its bench that are worth more than entire clubs in top divisions in Europe.
It'll be Hazard  
Nitro : 7/10/2018 2:34 pm : link
.
RE: It'll be Hazard  
Big Rick in FL : 7/10/2018 4:03 pm : link
In comment 14009997 Nitro said:
Quote:
.


They'll need another signing if it is Hazard. He isn't the goalsxoring threat that we need.
RE: RE: It'll be Hazard  
Jon in NYC : 7/10/2018 4:04 pm : link
In comment 14010092 Big Rick in FL said:
Quote:
In comment 14009997 Nitro said:


Quote:


.



They'll need another signing if it is Hazard. He isn't the goalsxoring threat that we need.


lol
RE: RE: RE: It'll be Hazard  
Big Rick in FL : 7/10/2018 4:13 pm : link
In comment 14010096 Jon in NYC said:
Quote:
In comment 14010092 Big Rick in FL said:


Quote:


In comment 14009997 Nitro said:


Quote:


.



They'll need another signing if it is Hazard. He isn't the goalsxoring threat that we need.



lol


What are you laughing at you weirdo?
RE: RE: RE: RE: It'll be Hazard  
Jon in NYC : 7/10/2018 4:46 pm : link
In comment 14010104 Big Rick in FL said:
Quote:
In comment 14010096 Jon in NYC said:


Quote:


In comment 14010092 Big Rick in FL said:


Quote:


In comment 14009997 Nitro said:


Quote:


.



They'll need another signing if it is Hazard. He isn't the goalsxoring threat that we need.



lol



What are you laughing at you weirdo?


Not sure why I'm a weirdo, but it amuses me that you became a Madrid fan like 3 years ago because of Ronaldo, and now are sticking your nose up at Hazard.
Because you try to talk shit  
Big Rick in FL : 7/10/2018 4:54 pm : link
To me every time I post about Madrid. That's fucking weird. I've been a Madrid fan for 9 years. Not 3. Stop pretending like you don't know that.


I'm not sticking my nose up at Hazard. He's a top 5 player to me and has been for some time. It's just a fact. He's been in the PL for 6 seasons. Has only broke 14 goals one time.

That wasn't my opinion either. The Spanish media is saying if they can't let Neymar or Mbappe they are going after Hazard and someone like Icardi.
Real Madrid already has the goals they need  
Go Terps : 7/10/2018 5:03 pm : link
If the deploy Bale the way they did Cristiano and have him take every PK and free kick he'll put up similar totals.

Real Madrid's goals from open play are created by the midfielders and fullbacks...they weren't created by Cristiano creating space on his own. He was a one touch in the box finisher the last 3 years or so, like Hugo Sanchez used to be for them in the '80s.

Real Madrid would be stupid to buy Neymar, Hazard, or Mbappe. They should be looking for a goalkeeper, a central defender, an upgrade over Casemiro, and someone to relieve Kroos-Modric. Instead of 300M euros for Neymar they should offer 100M to Chelsea for Kante.
RE: Real Madrid already has the goals they need  
Big Rick in FL : 7/10/2018 5:21 pm : link
In comment 14010150 Go Terps said:
Quote:
If the deploy Bale the way they did Cristiano and have him take every PK and free kick he'll put up similar totals.

Real Madrid's goals from open play are created by the midfielders and fullbacks...they weren't created by Cristiano creating space on his own. He was a one touch in the box finisher the last 3 years or so, like Hugo Sanchez used to be for them in the '80s.

Real Madrid would be stupid to buy Neymar, Hazard, or Mbappe. They should be looking for a goalkeeper, a central defender, an upgrade over Casemiro, and someone to relieve Kroos-Modric. Instead of 300M euros for Neymar they should offer 100M to Chelsea for Kante.


The problem is Bale doesn't stay healthy. He just hasn't been able to stay healthy since he got to Madrid.

They are going to buy a new GK. Most likely Courtois.


They just signed Odriozola to backup Carvajal. So Nacho should be able to move back to his natural position at CB. They also have Jesus Vallejo as cover for Varane/Ramos. Everything I've read has said Lopetegui loves Vallejo.

They have Kovacic & Ceballos as cover for Kroos/Madric. They are also trying to buy Sergej Milinković-Savić from Lazio.

I don't think they need to replace Casemiro. Not a good passer, but he's a great defender. I think he will improve even more this season. Zidane had him playing in a weird attacking type role the last few years. Which just doesn't suit him well. Also Llorente did a wonderful job at Alaves.

The attack needs help. Benz just doesn't score. Bale is always hurt and up until this point Asensio has always seemed better as a substitute. I don't think they sign Neymar anyway. I think it's going to be Mbappe or Hazard.

They haven't had a big signing since James in 2014. So I think they are going to really splurge this summer. Especially after pulling in like 160 million from Cristiano and James sales.
Madrid doesn't need players  
giantBCP : 7/10/2018 5:23 pm : link
as long as they have the refs on their side.

3 Champions League titles on the trot had little to do with their performance and play on the pitch.
RE: RE: Real Madrid already has the goals they need  
Ash_3 : 7/10/2018 5:24 pm : link
Quote:
I don't think they need to replace Casemiro. Not a good passer, but he's a great defender. I think he will improve even more this season.


It is difficult to be a good defensive midfielder if you are not a good passer.
It's  
Jon in NYC : 7/10/2018 5:29 pm : link
a shame that Asensio is going to be wasted there. If they aren't going to start him regularly, he should move on.
RE: Madrid doesn't need players  
Big Rick in FL : 7/10/2018 5:53 pm : link
In comment 14010162 giantBCP said:
Quote:
as long as they have the refs on their side.

3 Champions League titles on the trot had little to do with their performance and play on the pitch.


If you try to talk shit at least get your shit right. Over the last 3 years in the UCL they've been awarded 6 PKs. They've conceded 9 PKs. They have 63 cards over the last 3 UCL.
For comparison here are some other top teams

Juve - 66
Barca - 65
Bayern - 63
Atletico - 51
PSG - 52
Manchester City - 51
Tottenham - 19 (2 Seasons)
Roma - 27 (2 seasons)

So they seem to be right in the middle of the pack. Don't think the refs have that much to do with it.

Maybe they've won 3 in a row because they've scored 97 goals and allowed only 40 in 39 games the past 3 years in the Champions League. Good try though!
RE: RE: RE: Real Madrid already has the goals they need  
Big Rick in FL : 7/10/2018 5:57 pm : link
In comment 14010163 Ash_3 said:
Quote:


Quote:


I don't think they need to replace Casemiro. Not a good passer, but he's a great defender. I think he will improve even more this season.



It is difficult to be a good defensive midfielder if you are not a good passer.


Not really. We have plenty of good passers. Go watch Madrid play and you can see they are a far better defensive team with Casemiro on the pitch. Zidane had no loyalty to him yet he was one of the sure things on the team sheet. Obviously Kante would be an upgrade. He's the best DM in the World, but Real Madrid has much bigger problems then Casemiro.
RE: It's  
Big Rick in FL : 7/10/2018 6:01 pm : link
In comment 14010168 Jon in NYC said:
Quote:
a shame that Asensio is going to be wasted there. If they aren't going to start him regularly, he should move on.


If he doesn't start regularly it's on him. Especially with his NT coach now coaching Madrid. He's young and very inconsistent. Like I said above he's looked better as a sub then he has as a starter. I'm sure with Lopetegui as the manager he will be given every chance to be a starter. He just turned 22. Plenty of years ahead of him.
If you're interested, check out Guillem Balague's Youtube channel  
Go Terps : 7/10/2018 6:24 pm : link
Today he put out a 20 minute summary of Cristiano's time at Real, and why he's leaving. Balague has written a biography on Cristiano, and the insight here is as good as you're going to get.

Some good nuggets about how Marcelo once said in the media that Messi and Cristiano were the two best players in the world. Cristiano didn't talk to him for a year after that. Also, the time that Cristiano and Mourinho almost came to blows in the changing room.
Link - ( New Window )
RE: I'll admit I was wrong on Cristiano in La Liga  
ThatLimerickGuy : 7/10/2018 6:54 pm : link
In comment 14009914 Go Terps said:
Quote:
He did much better than I imagined. I was especially impressed by how he changed his game to basically be a target striker the last couple years. He was much better in that role than he ever was as a winger.

That said, it's worth mentioning that in his 9 years at Real Madrid they only won La Liga twice. That's 2 less than Real Madrid won in the previous 9 years. And despite the pomp around the Champions' League, it's the domestic competitions that matter most, and that are the best indicators of excellence (even Zinedine Zidane said as much after winning the Champions League again recently). The lack of La Liga excellence for Real Madrid obviously doesn't fall solely on Cristiano, but he was part of it. I don't expect Real Madrid will miss him. They'll score a similar number of goals this season and continue to compete for all titles. His success in Spain was always more about him than it was about the team, and it amuses me that the last 9 years in Spain will be remembered in the long term as Messi's and Barcelona's, and not Cristiano's and Real Madrid's.

He scored lots of goals and that's a credit to him and his work ethic, but he leaves Spain the way he lived there - whining about the personal attention he received.

And it feels like Real Madrid are angling for Neymar. Fitting replacement for Cristiano, and fitting for such a hideous club.


Dude I respect your opinion on soccer but sometimes you just need to take a loss and move on.

You were way off on this one. You can't justify that move as a poor one for Real.
I'm not saying it was a poor move to buy Cristiano  
Go Terps : 7/10/2018 7:04 pm : link
Clearly it wasn't. It made Real Madrid an enormous amount of money.
RE: It's  
bw in dc : 7/10/2018 7:14 pm : link
In comment 14010168 Jon in NYC said:
Quote:
a shame that Asensio is going to be wasted there. If they aren't going to start him regularly, he should move on.


Best point yet. Totally agree. I think he would be a great asset for Liverpool if RM continues to limit his services.

Hell, I think Zidance under-used Isco.
RM is almost certainly going to sign Neymar to replace CR7  
dpinzow : 7/10/2018 7:16 pm : link
that was their plan all along and I can't see them deviating from it
I don't think Hazard is a good fit...  
bw in dc : 7/10/2018 7:17 pm : link
for RM, btw. He needs the ball too much and, frankly, RM have players who are more productive in that role - like Isco.

If I'm RM, I sell Benzema, too. And target Lewandowski. He wants out of Bayern by some accounts. What a great, great striker he is...
I'd rather have Benzema than Lewandowski  
Go Terps : 7/10/2018 7:25 pm : link
Benzema performs in big matches. Lewandowski disappears.

Between Benzema, Isco, Bale, Asensio, and Lucas Vazquez Real Madrid has more than enough to fill the front three in a 4-3-3 in all competitions.
Lewandowski is near 30, if not already there, no?  
wigs in nyc : 7/10/2018 7:29 pm : link
Amazing to see the Chelsea shopping list, for a Chelsea squad that finished out of the top four (though were suffering the champions hangover effect.) Hazard, Kante, Courtois, etc. I’d love to see them move on Icardi, but that’s a pipedream- they don’t even know who their coach will be yet.
I would stay away from Neymar  
Oscar : 7/10/2018 7:32 pm : link
Don’t think he is a player you want as the focal point of a team. Too much baggage. And frankly maybe too old, he’s “only” 26 but that is often absolute peak and beginning of the decline for soccer players, especially someone like Neymar who has been a pro since he was a teenager. Same age for Hazard but I can’t imagine he would command as big a fee, although he might be a more useful player.

The way I look at these things I would always prefer the player to be say 18-24. Not that 26 is ancient but if we are shopping with unlimited funds and can get basically anyone why settle?

Mbappe is the one player who makes a lot of sense if they can get him. Very young, on the rise and looks like he will be involved in the “best player in the world” conversation for years to come. If I had to choose one player to make a splash signing I guess it would be him.

If Real Madrid absolutely must target a striker,  
Go Terps : 7/10/2018 7:38 pm : link
the guy to go after is Harry Kane. Only 24, superb intelligence, and excellent mentality. I'd also add the other best forward in this tournament - Romelu Lukaku. Either of these guys has the intelligence, work ethic, and mentality to succeed at Real Madrid.

If you're willing to spend 300M for Neymar, you should be willing to spend half that for either of these guys instead.
Do not think Spurs would ever sell Kane  
Oscar : 7/10/2018 7:43 pm : link
I honestly think it would take a fee >£200mm, and even then I don’t know. He just signed a new six year contract, he’s never given any indication he wants to leave, English players in general are usually sort of reluctant to go abroad and then you factor in they are about to open a new stadium and Kane is going to be the biggest star in England after this World Cup.

I am not sure even Real Madrid can get that one done.

Lukaku I think could be had. Would cost a lot but at the end of the day he’s a mercenary and I think they could get a deal done if they really wanted to.
Ronaldo to Miami in a few years pretty much going to happen  
Deejboy : 7/10/2018 9:11 pm : link
Now that he left Madrid. Him and Beckham will hook up.
N'golo Kante is the most underrated player in the world  
moespree : 7/10/2018 9:17 pm : link
And is someone all these massive clubs should be targeting.

The man literally wins every he goes. In France he joined a Ligue 2 team and they were immediately promoted his first year there. He won the league title with Leicester in year 1 and the league title with Chelsea in year 1. Now he's in the World Cup final.

He is undoubtedly one of these guys in sports who not only makes the team immediately better but also always seems to find himself in championship situations.
RE: N'golo Kante is the most underrated player in the world  
Go Terps : 7/10/2018 9:22 pm : link
In comment 14010361 moespree said:
Quote:
And is someone all these massive clubs should be targeting.

The man literally wins every he goes. In France he joined a Ligue 2 team and they were immediately promoted his first year there. He won the league title with Leicester in year 1 and the league title with Chelsea in year 1. Now he's in the World Cup final.

He is undoubtedly one of these guys in sports who not only makes the team immediately better but also always seems to find himself in championship situations.


Based on what I've seen in this tournament I'd call him the best player in the world.
RE: If Real Madrid absolutely must target a striker,  
JoeyBigBlue : 7/10/2018 9:33 pm : link
In comment 14010257 Go Terps said:
Quote:
I'd also add the other best forward in this tournament - Romelu Lukaku.


That’s not a bad suggestion. He’d be an upgrade over Benzema for sure. Sell Benzema, sign Lukaku, and a goalie. And this could be your lineup.


——————Goalie————-
Carvajal-Ramos- Varane-Marcelo
Kroos——-Casemiro———Modric
Bale———Lukaku————-Isco

Asencio can be the supersub until he’s ready to take over for Bale in a year or two.
RE: RE: N'golo Kante is the most underrated player in the world  
Kyle in NY : 7/10/2018 10:27 pm : link
In comment 14010366 Go Terps said:
Quote:
In comment 14010361 moespree said:


Quote:


And is someone all these massive clubs should be targeting.

The man literally wins every he goes. In France he joined a Ligue 2 team and they were immediately promoted his first year there. He won the league title with Leicester in year 1 and the league title with Chelsea in year 1. Now he's in the World Cup final.

He is undoubtedly one of these guys in sports who not only makes the team immediately better but also always seems to find himself in championship situations.



Based on what I've seen in this tournament I'd call him the best player in the world.


Completely agree. He’s Makelele 2.0
RE: I'd rather have Benzema than Lewandowski  
bw in dc : 7/10/2018 11:28 pm : link
In comment 14010242 Go Terps said:
Quote:
Benzema performs in big matches. Lewandowski disappears.

Between Benzema, Isco, Bale, Asensio, and Lucas Vazquez Real Madrid has more than enough to fill the front three in a 4-3-3 in all competitions.


Benzema is 30. His last 4 years as a striker: 22,28, 19, and, this year, 12 goals. And we know the talent around him.

Lewandowski is 29. His last four years: 25, 42, 43, and, this year, 41 goals. And he has less talented players around him than Benz.

Sorry, but it isn’t even close. Lewandowski is one of the three best strikers on the planet. Benzema isn’t even the best striker in his home France.
Benzema's job was not to score goals  
Go Terps : 7/11/2018 12:01 am : link
His job was to do all the dirty work so Cristiano could get his goals. Dummy runs, occupying defenders, chasing lost causes... Benzema is as good as there is at the forward position when it comes to making the guys around him look good.
Terps  
cosmicj : 7/11/2018 12:59 pm : link
you're severaly overrating Benzema, who plays like he doesn't care. I've been wanting RM to ditch that guy forever.

I like Lewandowski although think he benefits from some extraordinary players around him, but I don't see the fit with RM at all. The thing that bothers me about Neymar is his field visionm which I think is lacking. It's my impression that he is always missing open teammates who are there for open shits. It's not because he's incredibly selfish. I think he just doesn't see them. I actually don't have a great solution to what RM should do post-Ronaldo. I think this sale is a mistake.
RE: Terps  
Jon in NYC : 7/11/2018 1:02 pm : link
In comment 14010839 cosmicj said:
Quote:
he is always missing open teammates who are there for open shits. It's not because he's incredibly selfish. I think he just doesn't see them.


I agree. In his defense, it's harder to see when they're behind closed doors.
tangential to this thread but Mahrez went to Man City for 60M pounds  
Nitro : 7/11/2018 1:02 pm : link
yesterday. Frankly, heavily biased as a Leicester fan, this is going to be a steal and he's going to excel with Pep - I expect him to be first choice before long over either Sane or Sterling. He's a player who would be linked with even bigger clubs had his pedigree been different.
RE: RE: Terps  
cosmicj : 7/11/2018 1:15 pm : link
In comment 14010844 Jon in NYC said:
Quote:
In comment 14010839 cosmicj said:
Quote:


he is always missing open teammates who are there for open shits. It's not because he's incredibly selfish. I think he just doesn't see them.


Oh, boy. What a typo.
The goals will still be there for Real Madrid  
Go Terps : 7/11/2018 1:38 pm : link
The truth is that many of the goals they (and Barcelona, for that matter) score aren't all that important. If you remove Cristiano's 26 Liga goals last season, they still scored 68 goals in 38 matches - still good for second in the Liga. Their problem was that they conceded 44 goals - only ranking them 6th in the Liga. By comparison Barcelona and Atletico conceded 29 and 22, respectively.

In the Cristiano years Real Madrid doled out a lot of 6-0 type scores - I know because Deportivo was on the receiving end of a few of them. 6-0 or 1-0, it's still worth 3 points in the standings. Real outscored Atletico last year by 36 goals but finished 3 points behind them in the standings. Outscored Valencia by 29 goals, but finished only 3 points ahead of them.

Real could have scored 30 fewer goals - if they'd conceded only 10 fewer they may have challenged Barcelona for the title instead of finishing 17 points back.

Real Madrid needs to tighten up defensively, and be able to do it over the long haul of a season - not just the Champions League tournament.
Conte officially sacked  
GF1080 : 7/12/2018 10:36 am : link
Sarri and Jorginho should be announced soon.
RE: Conte officially sacked  
Bobby Humphrey's Earpad : 7/12/2018 11:13 am : link
In comment 14011594 GF1080 said:
Quote:
Sarri and Jorginho should be announced soon.


the fact that Conte was there at preseason training and Chelsea let him linger since season's end reflects the shitshow that club is.
Back to the Corner