Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Eli Manning: Sterling Shepard "Primed" for a Big Year

gidiefor : Mod : 7/10/2018 2:56 pm
Quote:
Like Beckham and former Giant Brandon Marshall, Sterling Shepard dealt with injuries last year and missed five games on his way to catching 59 passes for 731 yards and two touchdowns. Manning said he feels that Shepard is “primed for a big year” in 2018 after a successful offseason of work.

“I thought Sterling had a great camp during the spring,” Manning said, via Matt Lombardo of NJ.com. “He’s understanding the coverages, understanding the route combinations, he understands zone and man, and how to make little moves to get open against different techniques.”

- more - - ( New Window )
With Shurmur, I just don’t anyone stopping us on O as they  
Big Blue '56 : 7/10/2018 2:59 pm : link
have before..I will wait to see for myself once the first snap in games that matter, if what I believe comes to fruition..Bettcher’s well rested D has to be looking forward to this on paper
it will all come down to the Offensive Line  
PaulBlakeTSU : 7/10/2018 3:04 pm : link
same story and issue every season with this team.
It will not all come down to the OL  
RollBlue : 7/10/2018 3:10 pm : link
If OBJ is healthy for 80% of the season, the O will be just fine with competent play calling - see 2105 - O was very good with a below average O-Line. The team won SB46 with a below average O-Line.

That said, O-Line should be improved this year. But it's a team game - need stops on D, and competent special teams play.
2015  
RollBlue : 7/10/2018 3:11 pm : link
that is.
lets just compete with this new coach  
mdc1 : 7/10/2018 3:34 pm : link
and unplug the SB clock in the team locker room
RE: lets just ...  
Mr. Bungle : 7/10/2018 4:04 pm : link
In comment 14010055 mdc1 said:
Quote:
...unplug the SB clock in the team locker room

4-year-old news.
RE: With Shurmur, I just don’t anyone stopping us on O as they  
santacruzom : 7/10/2018 4:30 pm : link
In comment 14010011 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
have before..I will wait to see for myself once the first snap in games that matter, if what I believe comes to fruition..Bettcher’s well rested D has to be looking forward to this on paper


Bettcher's D won't be very well rested because either Barkley or Beckham will score a TD every 5th play :)
RE: RE: lets just ...  
mdc1 : 7/10/2018 5:54 pm : link
In comment 14010094 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
In comment 14010055 mdc1 said:


Quote:


...unplug the SB clock in the team locker room


4-year-old news.


and we still are claiming greatness without beating anybody yet. Nice try. let's look at the win column here in a month or so and have this convo again. A great deal needs to change to fix a culture of losing. A coach is one part. Talk is bullshit.
RE: RE: RE: lets just ...  
djm : 7/10/2018 6:53 pm : link
In comment 14010189 mdc1 said:
Quote:
In comment 14010094 Mr. Bungle said:


Quote:


In comment 14010055 mdc1 said:


Quote:


...unplug the SB clock in the team locker room


4-year-old news.



and we still are claiming greatness without beating anybody yet. Nice try. let's look at the win column here in a month or so and have this convo again. A great deal needs to change to fix a culture of losing. A coach is one part. Talk is bullshit.


Yes. No one say a word. Nothing until December. Peace and love peace and love!
.  
arcarsenal : 7/10/2018 7:16 pm : link
That's it, fellas! Time to shut down BBI until the season is over. Talking in hypotheticals or projecting simply is not allowed here.
What’s a big year?  
Joey from GlenCove : 7/10/2018 7:30 pm : link
FOr him I’d like it to be based on catches.

So what’s reasonable? 90?

Figure on paper he’s the 4th option

Obj
Barkley
Engram
Shep
I don't think this  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 7/10/2018 7:51 pm : link
is hyperbole on Eli's part. Shep is very talented & will have opportunities to shine.
RE: RE: RE: RE: lets just ...  
ShocknAwe80 : 7/10/2018 8:03 pm : link
In comment 14010230 djm said:
Quote:
In comment 14010189 mdc1 said:


Quote:


In comment 14010094 Mr. Bungle said:


Quote:


In comment 14010055 mdc1 said:


Quote:


...unplug the SB clock in the team locker room


4-year-old news.



and we still are claiming greatness without beating anybody yet. Nice try. let's look at the win column here in a month or so and have this convo again. A great deal needs to change to fix a culture of losing. A coach is one part. Talk is bullshit.



Yes. No one say a word. Nothing until December. Peace and love peace and love!


Peace and love- hit em with the hein
the offense should be improved  
uther99 : 7/10/2018 9:00 pm : link
but talk of being "unstoppable" is just nonsense
The production for all the receiver's should improve ...  
short lease : 7/10/2018 9:32 pm : link
I am not sure what defines a "Big Year" .... but, with the added help on the OL and with Barkley at RB, opposing defenses are going to have to keep an eye on the running game this year (unlike last year).
When was the last time  
David B. : 7/11/2018 8:30 am : link
A Giant who was "primed for a big year" delivered one? Other than Beckham, because he's expected to do it every year? But last year, Brandon Marshall was gonna have "a big year," being opposite OBJ (or allow Beckham to have a bigger one).

Nothing against Sheppard (or Eli for saying it) -- hopefully he WILL have a big year. Hopefully ALL of the weapons will have a big year.

But even assuming OBJ, Barkley, Engram, and Sheppard stay healthy, I'm not sure it's mathematically possible for all them to have "big years" from a stats standpoint. And of them, Sheppard (to me) appears to be the least likely and least important of those 4 guys to have a big year.

Teams are going to double OBJ until other players make them pay for doing so. Sheppard (and Latimer, too) just needs to be a guy who keeps opposing defenses honest so they can't double OBJ. Anything more than that is gravy. If they're doubling OBJ and Sheppard makes them pay for that, he'll have some big games, but if he's making them pay, teams won't let him do that all season.

The guys who have to have big years for the team to be successful are OBJ and Barkley. If that happens, my guess is that Engram has the "big year," attacking the middle of the field. I see that before I see it being Sheppard.

...  
christian : 7/11/2018 8:50 am : link
Every "big" year is predicated on much better QB play. Whatever the cause, if the quarterback is fumbling, gun-shy, and struggling with touch in the neighborhood of what was on the field last year, no one is having a big year offensively.

I think many fans are going to be disappointed in the improvement of o-line play. I predict 3/5 starters from last year win out spots on the line (Jones, Flowers, Jerry). I'm on the record of not being impressed in the least by Omameh, both by his track record and the limited action I've seen him. He reminds me alot of Jerry. I wouldn't bank on transcendent improvement on the line.

Getting a semblance of health at the WR position will of course improve things a great, great deal. The comedy of injuries at the position is unlikely to repeat. But the depth their is frightful.
RE: ...  
dep026 : 7/11/2018 9:01 am : link
In comment 14010549 christian said:
Quote:
Every "big" year is predicated on much better QB play. Whatever the cause, if the quarterback is fumbling, gun-shy, and struggling with touch in the neighborhood of what was on the field last year, no one is having a big year offensively.

I think many fans are going to be disappointed in the improvement of o-line play. I predict 3/5 starters from last year win out spots on the line (Jones, Flowers, Jerry). I'm on the record of not being impressed in the least by Omameh, both by his track record and the limited action I've seen him. He reminds me alot of Jerry. I wouldn't bank on transcendent improvement on the line.

Getting a semblance of health at the WR position will of course improve things a great, great deal. The comedy of injuries at the position is unlikely to repeat. But the depth their is frightful.


I think the big difference in offense will be Barkley. We haven’t had a threat in the run game for years. Everyone will be better because of him.
RE: ...  
gmen9892 : 7/11/2018 9:39 am : link
In comment 14010549 christian said:
Quote:
Every "big" year is predicated on much better QB play. Whatever the cause, if the quarterback is fumbling, gun-shy, and struggling with touch in the neighborhood of what was on the field last year, no one is having a big year offensively.

I think many fans are going to be disappointed in the improvement of o-line play. I predict 3/5 starters from last year win out spots on the line (Jones, Flowers, Jerry). I'm on the record of not being impressed in the least by Omameh, both by his track record and the limited action I've seen him. He reminds me alot of Jerry. I wouldn't bank on transcendent improvement on the line.

Getting a semblance of health at the WR position will of course improve things a great, great deal. The comedy of injuries at the position is unlikely to repeat. But the depth their is frightful.


When you say Omameh reminds you of Jerry, how do you mean? By most reports I read, he is the opposite of Jerry in the sense that he is a good run blocking OL, but may struggle in pass protection.

I think its impossible to know what this OL can be as of now, being that we have not seen this 5 play together yet. Like Eli mentioned in his interview yesterday on Sirius, it's not necessarily about talent level with an OL, but about cohesiveness and togetherness.

I think having a respectable LT alone in Solder will make this OL better than last year's, at the very least. I think having a guard that can play 16 games (hopefully) in Hernandez is an upgrade over Pugh, he may also be more talented. I also think we have no clue how Flowers can do at RT, but being an upgrade over the crap they had out there the last 2-3 years isn't going to be hard. The Center position with Halapio/Jones will be interesting to watch, and I have no clue how that will turn out, and Omamhe can't be that much worse than Jerry (fingers crossed).
RE: RE: ...  
christian : 7/11/2018 12:44 pm : link
Quote:

When you say Omameh reminds you of Jerry, how do you mean? By most reports I read, he is the opposite of Jerry in the sense that he is a good run blocking OL, but may struggle in pass protection.


In the limited amount of reporting on his play I've read, is that he struggles run blocking. The Jags averaged 3.3 YPC on runs behind him. The good things I've read on him, and again the limited play I saw from him (really just the playoffs), is he's a good puller and moves well, but isn't a mauler and isn't getting after much on the second level.

I think because of his size and a few comments made on here, he's being made out to be something he's not.
RE: What’s a big year?  
djm : 7/11/2018 8:36 pm : link
In comment 14010247 Joey from GlenCove said:
Quote:
FOr him I’d like it to be based on catches.

So what’s reasonable? 90?

Figure on paper he’s the 4th option

Obj
Barkley
Engram
Shep


I think shep is more than capable of 85+ and 1000+ yards. Don’t get too caught up in which option he is, he’s going to get a shit load of targets. I still insist that Shepard improved in year 2 even though it’s almost impossible to trust the context of nyg 2017 player evaluations. Shepard just looked better to me, more explosive. Look for a big year out of him this season. Remember Steve smith posted big reception numbers in 09-10 even with nicks and Mario here. Eli loves those slot WRs.
lets not forget  
hightop cleats : 7/11/2018 9:15 pm : link
that after the first or second series, eli will likely target receivers largely based on the coverage. to imply that he will go through all 4 options before throwing (in 3.5 seconds) is stretching credulity. shep will get his catches if he is primary or secondary. depending on the coverages - and the opportunities associated with them - that will reveal itself fairly quickly.
Back to the Corner