Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Star Wars News: Lando Calrissian in Episode IX

Mr. Bungle : 7/10/2018 5:58 pm
Quote:
Chatter about [Billy Dee] Williams joining the production, which is set to begin later this summer, increased in recent days when the actor bowed out of an upcoming sci-fi and pop culture convention citing a conflict with a movie schedule. Sources confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter that Williams will indeed be returning to the Star Wars film franchise for the first time since 1983ís Return of the Jedi. The Lando Calrissian character made his suave debut in 1980's The Empire Strikes Back.

link - ( New Window )
Of course, Lucasfilm MUST complete itís mission  
Ben in Tampa : 7/10/2018 7:52 pm : link
Of killing every beloved character from the original trilogy. Ts and Ps I. Advance for Lando.

Didn't know Billy Dee was 81  
Deejboy : 7/10/2018 9:13 pm : link
Yeah they are probably going to kill Lando off.
Just hope this next one  
djm : 7/10/2018 10:18 pm : link
Has that rewatchable quality that only 4-5-6 and rogue one really have. Force awakens was solid ó enough redeeming qualities I guess.... they (7-8) still lack that magic.
Yes it would be much cooler  
ZGiants98 : 7/10/2018 10:28 pm : link
If we never saw Lando again and he just died off in real life never making another Star Wars film. 🙄
RE: Just hope this next one  
BlueHurricane : 7/10/2018 11:33 pm : link
In comment 14010441 djm said:
Quote:
Has that rewatchable quality that only 4-5-6 and rogue one really have. Force awakens was solid ó enough redeeming qualities I guess.... they (7-8) still lack that magic.


Rouge One has become my favorite of all the movies. Itís perfect.
Rogue One is amazing.  
ZGiants98 : 7/10/2018 11:50 pm : link
Still feel all 4 of the new movies are a massive step up from the prequels and all of them are pretty good. We live in an age where Star Wars fans have become like annoying hipsters ripping apart every angle in complete superiority.

The truth is the original trilogy had poor acting, cheese, and plot holes galore.

We just live in an age where everyone is a critic and has to have their fill now.
They won't kill Lando  
illmatic : 7/11/2018 2:17 am : link
He probably won't even have a major role. He's 81. He'll just be in the background like Leia, bringing in people to help fight against the first order.

Besides, the nerds will have a meltdown if they dare to kill another classic character. Force Awakens was good but Last Jedi was fairly blah. Hopefully they can recover with episode IX and tie up the trilogy in a strong way.
The feal shame of it is Last Jedi probably had a lot to do  
Matt M. : 7/11/2018 6:41 am : link
with Solo not doing great at the box office. I found that movie to be highly enjoyable and couldn't believe we saw it in a near empty theater opening weekend.
I don't really care if Lando lives or dies  
Matt M. : 7/11/2018 6:43 am : link
I ckuld actually do without him in this film. His thing is being so suave. At 81, I don't know well Billy Dee pulls that off.
Ben. LucasFilms' mission should have been to kill off  
Marty in Albany : 7/11/2018 7:42 am : link
the entire cast after the first three movies and then present something original and different. But their mission is really to make lots of money and they have succeeded at that beyond anyone's wildest dreams.

Thus, we get the same shit over and over, like a child's bed-time story. Kinda mirrors the mission of the NFL and the NFL Players' Association.
I don't get it....  
Britt in VA : 7/11/2018 8:14 am : link
how can people say they want something new and different and then get upset about The Last Jedi?
RE: I don't get it....  
commonthe0ry : 7/11/2018 8:38 am : link
In comment 14010532 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
how can people say they want something new and different and then get upset about The Last Jedi?


People just want something to complain about, first 3 Star Wars were horribly cheesy and poorly acted.
I assumed they would bring him back after watching a last Jedi  
Jay on the Island : 7/11/2018 9:00 am : link
I think that Lando will be the one who answers the distress call from Leia and co. He will be the one who provides an army.
He's one of my favorites  
Moondawg : 7/11/2018 9:57 am : link
very glad to hear this.
One of my Biggest gripes  
BIG FRED 1973 : 7/11/2018 10:14 am : link
about TFA and LJ was no Lando or mention of him .I think JJ will tie it in as to why he was not in either film .It will be interesting to see what happens with Leia ,I know most people dont read the comics but they have a story arc in the Poe Dameron comic that is set right after they leave crait on the falcon between Poe,Rey and Finn.They may tie in some Leia stuff in the comics and have it happen in the beginning of episode 9
Does it even matter?  
giantsFC : 7/11/2018 10:32 am : link
After how they mishandled their franchise character Luke skywalker does anything they do w the original storyline and cast matter?
RE: Ben. LucasFilms' mission should have been to kill off  
UConn4523 : 7/11/2018 10:34 am : link
In comment 14010521 Marty in Albany said:
Quote:
the entire cast after the first three movies and then present something original and different. But their mission is really to make lots of money and they have succeeded at that beyond anyone's wildest dreams.

Thus, we get the same shit over and over, like a child's bed-time story. Kinda mirrors the mission of the NFL and the NFL Players' Association.


They are doing exactly that though. Regardless of what you personally want, tons of fans wanted a direct sequel to the originals and others wanted a brand new story. Both are happening - what's the issue?
Better than Sex Panther  
Pete in MD : 7/11/2018 10:35 am : link
I also hope that JJA has Luke as a force ghost with  
Moondawg : 7/11/2018 10:41 am : link
a significant role as a teacher. Maybe that would do justice to Luke as we hoped TLJ would do. All we saw was him brushing Rey aside last time. Not exactly a transmission of teachings or authority.
.  
giantsFC : 7/11/2018 10:45 am : link
The moment when he brushed the dirt off the shoulder, I finally thought the master Jedi of all finally arrived to whoop ass.

Nope.
RE: I also hope that JJA has Luke as a force ghost with  
UConn4523 : 7/11/2018 10:46 am : link
In comment 14010663 Moondawg said:
Quote:
a significant role as a teacher. Maybe that would do justice to Luke as we hoped TLJ would do. All we saw was him brushing Rey aside last time. Not exactly a transmission of teachings or authority.


I think its fair to hold off on critiquing the story until its finished. That what you were forced to do in 1977, so why not now? Not calling anyone out specifically, but everyone knows this is a trilogy and not 3 stand alone movies, so I really don't understand why its being treated as such.

Let it play out.
UCONN  
Moondawg : 7/11/2018 10:52 am : link
it's more my way of hoping they salvage the treatment of Luke in TLJ (which, upon my second viewing, I actually appreciated much more, but still. . . )
RE: Just hope this next one  
Mr. Bungle : 7/11/2018 11:13 am : link
In comment 14010441 djm said:
Quote:
Has that rewatchable quality that only 4-5-6 and rogue one really have. Force awakens was solid ó enough redeeming qualities I guess.... they (7-8) still lack that magic.

Pretty perfectly said. Endless rewatchability is really the true measure of Star Wars greatness. And IV, V, VI, and Rogue One are the only ones that have that quality for me.
RE: RE: I don't get it....  
Mr. Bungle : 7/11/2018 11:14 am : link
In comment 14010545 commonthe0ry said:
Quote:
first 3 Star Wars were horribly cheesy and poorly acted.

Groundbreaking special effects were "horribly cheesy"? Um, no.
RE: RE:  
Mr. Bungle : 7/11/2018 11:20 am : link
In comment 14010672 UConn4523 said:
Quote:

I think its fair to hold off on critiquing the story until its finished. That what you were forced to do in 1977, so why not now?

Star Wars (what we now call "Episode IV") was an outstanding film on its own. It didn't need the rest of the trilogy story to be told before it could became great. It just got greater as the story continued to unfold in sequels.

That's a problem for me in the current approach to film trilogies and franchises (not just Star Wars). This idea of "Just wait. It will all make sense in a later film." Bullshit. Each film should stand on its own as great, and then the entire story should achieve a higher level of greatness when the series is considered as a whole.
I think when  
Pete in MD : 7/11/2018 11:34 am : link
it comes to Star Wars, you can't make everyone happy. I respect that Rian Johnson made a deliberate choice with Luke and stuck with it. I may not love the outcome but I am glad it wasn't half-assed in a way to cater to the masses.
I don't disagree  
UConn4523 : 7/11/2018 11:36 am : link
I'd love each stand alone movie to be great, but that simply isn't the way this was planned. This is a 3 part story and we are trying to critique unfinished work, and getting mad at decision that were made without actually knowing the outcome.

Luke may be in the final episode in a very cool and meaningful way, so we can tear it apart (even though I like how it was handled anyway) or we can see how it ends.

Lastly, trilogies rarely happen unless the first installment is a financial success. That's the way of the industry now. They need to make sure there is a draw because there's too much on the line financially so I don't think its necessarily realistic to expect massive budget movies to built in the way you are describing. I'd love it to, but I understand why it generally doesn't happen.
RE: I don't disagree  
Mr. Bungle : 7/11/2018 1:04 pm : link
In comment 14010756 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
trilogies rarely happen unless the first installment is a financial success. That's the way of the industry now. They need to make sure there is a draw because there's too much on the line financially so I don't think its necessarily realistic to expect massive budget movies to built in the way you are describing. I'd love it to, but I understand why it generally doesn't happen.

I'm not sure I understand your point. In 1977, George Lucas had a much bigger saga in mind than just the Episode IV story, but he was only able to get a commitment for one film, because 20th Century Fox had no idea whether it would flop or hit. It turned out to be a megablockbuster, so Lucas was able to finish the story over two more sequels.

It seems to me now that studios are greenlighting action-movie series/franchises instead of just one original film idea that they hope hits big. In the unexpected event that the initial film flops, you read about studios shelving plans for sequels.
RE: RE: RE:  
giantsFC : 7/11/2018 2:17 pm : link
In comment 14010734 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
In comment 14010672 UConn4523 said:


Quote:



I think its fair to hold off on critiquing the story until its finished. That what you were forced to do in 1977, so why not now?


Star Wars (what we now call "Episode IV") was an outstanding film on its own. It didn't need the rest of the trilogy story to be told before it could became great. It just got greater as the story continued to unfold in sequels.

That's a problem for me in the current approach to film trilogies and franchises (not just Star Wars). This idea of "Just wait. It will all make sense in a later film." Bullshit. Each film should stand on its own as great, and then the entire story should achieve a higher level of greatness when the series is considered as a whole.


Amen to this. The great multiple movie storylines lusually are great stsnd alone movies to begin with.
Maybe I'm not a tough enough critic ...  
Csonka : 7/11/2018 2:55 pm : link
... but I liked all of the recent 4. Obviously better than the prequels, but I'd say they're all better than ROTJ too.

I'll agree V is still great and IV was groundbreaking. They get extra credit for doing it when they did and being first.
RE: RE: Just hope this next one  
djm : 7/11/2018 8:24 pm : link
In comment 14010485 BlueHurricane said:
Quote:
In comment 14010441 djm said:


Quote:


Has that rewatchable quality that only 4-5-6 and rogue one really have. Force awakens was solid ó enough redeeming qualities I guess.... they (7-8) still lack that magic.



Rouge One has become my favorite of all the movies. Itís perfect.


Completely agree.
RE: I assumed they would bring him back after watching a last Jedi  
Matt M. : 7/11/2018 9:33 pm : link
In comment 14010558 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
I think that Lando will be the one who answers the distress call from Leia and co. He will be the one who provides an army.
I thought that as well.
RE: I also hope that JJA has Luke as a force ghost with  
Matt M. : 7/11/2018 9:37 pm : link
In comment 14010663 Moondawg said:
Quote:
a significant role as a teacher. Maybe that would do justice to Luke as we hoped TLJ would do. All we saw was him brushing Rey aside last time. Not exactly a transmission of teachings or authority.
That doesn't excite me much, but it's better than nothing. As funny as I think some of Hamill's lines were, I just didn't like the way they handled Luke's character. Killing him off was just the icing on the cake.
RE: .  
Matt M. : 7/11/2018 9:39 pm : link
In comment 14010669 giantsFC said:
Quote:
The moment when he brushed the dirt off the shoulder, I finally thought the master Jedi of all finally arrived to whoop ass.

Nope.
Again. I thought the same thing. If he had died in the fight, so be it. This is a character being billed for years as the most powerful jedi who could do amazing things. Instead of one real battle, we got a grumpy old man with some cute one liners and a bogus death.
RE: UCONN  
Matt M. : 7/11/2018 9:40 pm : link
In comment 14010684 Moondawg said:
Quote:
it's more my way of hoping they salvage the treatment of Luke in TLJ (which, upon my second viewing, I actually appreciated much more, but still. . . )
I appreciated the movie as a whole more the second time, but not really Luke's character.
RE: I don't disagree  
Matt M. : 7/11/2018 9:44 pm : link
In comment 14010756 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
I'd love each stand alone movie to be great, but that simply isn't the way this was planned. This is a 3 part story and we are trying to critique unfinished work, and getting mad at decision that were made without actually knowing the outcome.

Luke may be in the final episode in a very cool and meaningful way, so we can tear it apart (even though I like how it was handled anyway) or we can see how it ends.

Lastly, trilogies rarely happen unless the first installment is a financial success. That's the way of the industry now. They need to make sure there is a draw because there's too much on the line financially so I don't think its necessarily realistic to expect massive budget movies to built in the way you are describing. I'd love it to, but I understand why it generally doesn't happen.
That's not really true. JJ Abrams and company started a story in The Force Awakens. Johnson essentially told his own story that was related to the first one in Last Jedi. It wasn't truly a continuation of the previous story.

I honestly don't believe Abrams film would have gone the way it did if he knew Johnson's plan for Luke ahead of filming Force Awakens. The way Last Jedi played out,it would have been more effective and possibly better to never have included Luke in this trilogy at all.
RE: Maybe I'm not a tough enough critic ...  
Matt M. : 7/11/2018 9:49 pm : link
In comment 14010999 Csonka said:
Quote:
... but I liked all of the recent 4. Obviously better than the prequels, but I'd say they're all better than ROTJ too.

I'll agree V is still great and IV was groundbreaking. They get extra credit for doing it when they did and being first.
I agree about all 4 of the new films being better than ROTJ. Although, the original plans to Wookies, instead of Ewoks, to be a focal point of ROTJ would have made it significantly better for me.

As for the original trilogy, it was so groundbreaking that, in my opinion, there are very few films now that can match their FX still. That is one thing I have really enjoyed with the new films. They are not overly reliant on CGI, which has made the FX much better than most movies now.
RE: RE: .  
BlueHurricane : 7/11/2018 11:05 pm : link
In comment 14011346 Matt M. said:
Quote:
In comment 14010669 giantsFC said:


Quote:


The moment when he brushed the dirt off the shoulder, I finally thought the master Jedi of all finally arrived to whoop ass.

Nope.

Again. I thought the same thing. If he had died in the fight, so be it. This is a character being billed for years as the most powerful jedi who could do amazing things. Instead of one real battle, we got a grumpy old man with some cute one liners and a bogus death.



That would make a lot more sense if they didnít make a point of saying how huge of a task projecting oneself using the Force is. What he did and his resulting death was supposed to be viewed as an epic feat. The fact some people dismiss it as a lame death is unfortunate and not what the writers were going for.
+1 ^^^^  
Britt in VA : 7/12/2018 6:13 am : link
.
+2 ^^^^^  
Moondawg : 7/12/2018 9:29 am : link
And, becoming a "force ghost" is a rare achievement (see the last 3 episodes of the Clone Wars cartoon to understand this). And Luke did something more, he projected a perfect facsimilie that tricked a very powerful force user. It's pretty badass.

Tie to this that Luke was wary of violence from the time of ROTJ (refusing to kill Vader), and Yoda already noted that "war does not make one great." And you will understand that non-violent victory is very much in the spirit of Luke.

Again, I wish they didn't kill him off (not sure why he had to die), and I wish it didn't look like he was willing to abandon his friends in the first 3/4 of TLJ. But they did do justice to him as a badass force user.
RE: RE: I don't disagree  
Moondawg : 7/12/2018 9:37 am : link
In comment 14011352 Matt M. said:
Quote:
In comment 14010756 UConn4523 said:


Quote:


I'd love each stand alone movie to be great, but that simply isn't the way this was planned. This is a 3 part story and we are trying to critique unfinished work, and getting mad at decision that were made without actually knowing the outcome.

Luke may be in the final episode in a very cool and meaningful way, so we can tear it apart (even though I like how it was handled anyway) or we can see how it ends.

Lastly, trilogies rarely happen unless the first installment is a financial success. That's the way of the industry now. They need to make sure there is a draw because there's too much on the line financially so I don't think its necessarily realistic to expect massive budget movies to built in the way you are describing. I'd love it to, but I understand why it generally doesn't happen.

That's not really true. JJ Abrams and company started a story in The Force Awakens. Johnson essentially told his own story that was related to the first one in Last Jedi. It wasn't truly a continuation of the previous story.

I honestly don't believe Abrams film would have gone the way it did if he knew Johnson's plan for Luke ahead of filming Force Awakens. The way Last Jedi played out,it would have been more effective and possibly better to never have included Luke in this trilogy at all.


In broad outline it makes sense:

1. Rey's journey in TFA is to find Luke.
2. But in TLJ, Luke is deeply hurt (and in depression) because of his sense of failure and what they make him feel about the Jedi Order.
3. But Rey convinces him to overcome this, which he does to save the last vestiges of the resistance.

Great story, and in line with the Fisher King motif of medieval literature.


In execution, it just slows down a lot in the second act. And it isn't entirely clear why Luke's attitude about the Order and saving the teachings radically change (when Yoda apparently destroys them). Even if it is clear that Rey does convince him not to blame himself for his student's evil turn.
I have seen speculation that Yoda knows Rey took the Jedi teachings  
rich in DC : 7/12/2018 10:20 am : link
But he didn't want Luke to know it yet- that's why when Yoda uses the lightening strike, he says "she has all she needs."

IMO, Luke needed to have a sense of desperation- that he knew if he failed, the Resistance would die and so would Rey and the Jedi way. I think Yoda's plan was to force Luke to save Rey and the Resistance by taking away all of his options to delay- therefore, destroying the tree- and in Luke's mind, the Jedi teachings.

I think that too many Star Wars fans bought into the post- movies universe where Luke because this all-powerful Jedi. Remember the point of the movies- Luke is a "New Hope"- not a superhero. His story arc was to give life to the Jedi and the Resistance- not to become all-powerful.

I think what too many Star Wars fans have forgotten was that the lure of power is what brought his father down. That was a path he was unwilling to follow- see his rejection of the Emperor- so why did people expect him to become this all-powerful Jedi?

In the end, I think that the overlooked element of Luke's conversations with Rey was to plant the seed of thought with Rey that perhaps neither the Jedi nor the Sith have the answers- and that a third way is what the Universe is demanding- a "balance in the force" if you will. Remember Luke telling Rey that the "Jedi must end."

I think in the end, Rey will end up taking what she needs from the Jedi, and somehow come to terms with what Kylo Ren is and draw what she needs to bring balance to the force and train the next generations in the new way.
Can anyone explain to me why Snoke and Kylo Ren  
Mr. Bungle : 7/12/2018 10:34 am : link
hold Vader up to be some gold standard of the Dark Side? Did they miss the part about how Vader still had good in him all along (Luke was right), renounced the Dark Side at the end, killed the Emperor, and, thus, helped the Rebellion win and the Jedi to survive?

Shouldn't they have viewed Vader ultimately as a failure?
RE: Can anyone explain to me why Snoke and Kylo Ren  
Moondawg : 7/12/2018 10:35 am : link
In comment 14011590 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
hold Vader up to be some gold standard of the Dark Side? Did they miss the part about how Vader still had good in him all along (Luke was right), renounced the Dark Side at the end, killed the Emperor, and, thus, helped the Rebellion win and the Jedi to survive?

Shouldn't they have viewed Vader ultimately as a failure?


The only person who was there when Vader turned good was Luke (the Emperor died). They surely believe that he was betrayed and killed by Luke, not that he turned good. And if there is a story that he turned good, then they would think that it was a lie by the rebellion.
Thanks for the plausible explanation.  
Mr. Bungle : 7/12/2018 10:48 am : link
But beside that never being explicitly addressed in VII or VIII by Snoke or Ren (especially since Ben Solo was Anakin's grandson and surely once knew and believed the truth), I don't happen to find it to be all that compelling for the saga's story arc.

I think it would have been more compelling if the new villains were so bad and formidable that they accepted the truth and considered Vader a failure who ultimately had weakness that they were consumed with exterminating in themselves and others. It also would have played well against Luke's struggles as a failure. In other words, Luke wasn't a "good enough" good guy, so he saw himself as a failure. Meanwhile, to the new villains, Vader wasn't a "bad enough" bad guy, so they viewed Vader as a failure.

Even if they believed that Luke simply killed Vader, why would Kylo Ren idolize Vader so much? Wouldn't losing his life to Luke be a knock on Vader's badassness?
I'd keep in mind that  
Moondawg : 7/12/2018 10:51 am : link
when we first find Vader in ANH, he's on the tail end of his career. He was the most gifted Jedi in generations, and had many famed exploits both as Anakin and as Vader where his badassitude was firmly settled.

who was snoke anyway?  
ron mexico : 7/12/2018 11:18 am : link
never really picked up on his story
RE: who was snoke anyway?  
Pete in MD : 7/12/2018 11:32 am : link
In comment 14011651 ron mexico said:
Quote:
never really picked up on his story


I agree that there should have been some backstory on Snoke. He was just the next bad guy. It would have been more impactful when they killed him if the audience had more reasons to not like him.
Speaking for myself, I wasn't looking for Luke to be all powerful  
Matt M. : 7/12/2018 5:15 pm : link
I didn't need for him to survive. But, I did want to see some evidence of his abilities. More importantly, as Hamill said, this Luke wasn't his Luke. He just didn't resemble the character we loved.
Back to the Corner