Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NGT: ESPN not to show National Anthem in MNF

superspynyg : 8/17/2018 8:29 pm
Good for ESPN. They finally do something right. Now if the rest of the media can stop making this an issue.

Will delete IF German
Link - ( New Window )
How simple it is  
Big Blue '56 : 8/17/2018 8:30 pm : link
.
Shouldn’t even be news  
bubba0825 : 8/17/2018 8:32 pm : link
What broadcast shows the national anthem? Outside the Super Bowl none.
Welp  
jnoble : 8/17/2018 8:36 pm : link
I see this thread going places
I never remember it being shown  
mattlawson : 8/17/2018 8:42 pm : link
Until big prime time games, playoffs. Super bowl.
RE: How simple it is  
charlito : 8/17/2018 8:55 pm : link
In comment 14042065 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
.



+1
Seems like a simple solution  
TMS : 8/17/2018 9:18 pm : link
to a problem that is being blown way out of proportion. Both sides are dug in and it will go away if we let it. Think most do not want this tainting the whole season.
WTF?  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 8/17/2018 9:20 pm : link
A correct decision out of failing ESPN.
Im way anti player on this issue  
ThatLimerickGuy : 8/17/2018 10:00 pm : link
But thank god someone is using common sense. It is so easy. Know however that this is not going to end it. The players will see this as a continued affront to their liberties.
RE: Shouldn’t even be news  
Vinny from Danbury : 8/17/2018 10:09 pm : link
In comment 14042068 bubba0825 said:
Quote:
What broadcast shows the national anthem? Outside the Super Bowl none.


Nascar broadcasts always shows it Live during the pre-race. Been that way for many years.
the Germans  
madgiantscow009 : 8/17/2018 10:29 pm : link
will not be amused TS.
All They Had to Do  
OntheRoad : 8/17/2018 10:50 pm : link
was think about how you treat naked people who run around on the field or otherwise make an ass out of themselves.
I keep saying the solution is simple.  
Crispino : 8/17/2018 11:13 pm : link
The players who don’t want to stand for the anthem should just be made to stay in the locker during the anthem. And if they all want to stay in there as a show of solidarity, so be it. Those that want to stand can do so if the please.
RE: How simple it is  
Hsilwek92 : 8/17/2018 11:13 pm : link
In comment 14042065 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
.


/end thread
RE: I keep saying the solution is simple.  
madgiantscow009 : 8/17/2018 11:13 pm : link
In comment 14042365 Crispino said:
Quote:
The players who don�t want to stand for the anthem should just be made to stay in the locker during the anthem. And if they all want to stay in there as a show of solidarity, so be it. Those that want to stand can do so if the please.


you can't virtue signal in the locker room.
RE: I keep saying the solution is simple.  
Hsilwek92 : 8/17/2018 11:17 pm : link
In comment 14042365 Crispino said:
Quote:
The players who don’t want to stand for the anthem should just be made to stay in the locker during the anthem. And if they all want to stay in there as a show of solidarity, so be it. Those that want to stand can do so if the please.


No. The simple solution to all of this was to do what was done in the past, not televise the anthem. Plain and simple.
The media is “making it an issue”  
KWALL2 : 8/18/2018 1:02 am : link
Hahahaha

Yeah that’s whats going on here.
I don't think  
Amazinz : 8/18/2018 6:57 am : link
ESPN showed the anthem last year either.

I didn't watch every MNF game, but the article posted says as much:

[ESPN] has not previously shown the national anthem during its Monday Night Football broadcasts and does not have plans to change...
Taking the national stage away  
Beer Man : 8/18/2018 8:43 am : link
can't hurt.
RE: Im way anti player on this issue  
Big Blue Blogger : 8/18/2018 9:13 am : link
ThatLimerickGuy said:
Quote:
But thank god someone is using common sense. It is so easy. Know however that this is not going to end it. The players will see this as a continued affront to their liberties.
And certain public figures will denounce not broadcasting the anthem as a craven affront to the troops, the flag, police, motherhood and apple pie.

As far as I’m concerned, anything that demilitarizes NFL broadcasts is welcome. I love and respect our armed forces, but that’s real-world stuff. For three hours a week during football season, I prefer to think about the game. To me, color guards, flyovers, recruiting ads, etc. are as much of a distraction as pink shoes and erectile dysfunction spots. Let the networks cram in three extra minutes of advertising before kickoff - especially if it means fewer official timeouts later.
Now  
jtfuoco : 8/18/2018 12:06 pm : link
If all the networks would do this the entire problem would go away on its own within a season or two and Goodell and the owners would be saved from themselves.
RE: RE: Im way anti player on this issue  
jcn56 : 8/18/2018 1:46 pm : link
In comment 14042524 Big Blue Blogger said:
Quote:
ThatLimerickGuy said:

Quote:


But thank god someone is using common sense. It is so easy. Know however that this is not going to end it. The players will see this as a continued affront to their liberties.

And certain public figures will denounce not broadcasting the anthem as a craven affront to the troops, the flag, police, motherhood and apple pie.

As far as I’m concerned, anything that demilitarizes NFL broadcasts is welcome. I love and respect our armed forces, but that’s real-world stuff. For three hours a week during football season, I prefer to think about the game. To me, color guards, flyovers, recruiting ads, etc. are as much of a distraction as pink shoes and erectile dysfunction spots. Let the networks cram in three extra minutes of advertising before kickoff - especially if it means fewer official timeouts later.


This was the solution that I mentioned last year...  
EricJ : 8/18/2018 1:55 pm : link
The NFL has contracts with the networks and in that contract it should prohibit showing this side show on TV.

By the way, you almost never saw the anthem on TV for a regular season game until this kneeling nonsense started.

ESPN is smart for not showing it. Why would you want half of your audience tuning out once they see the circus before the game starts?
...  
christian : 8/18/2018 2:04 pm : link
If the league doesn't want a platform for protest, don't force a platform for patriotism. That's the very easy solution.

But the owners *do* want a platform for patriotism because 1) it does speak to the desires and emotion of some and 2) it sells really, really well.

The owners have every right and incentive to do it. It needs to be ironed out in the CBA if the player contracts will require it.

Not showing the anthem on TV isn't going to change this now. Not with the particular powerful individuals who've weighed in. Not with social media and the millions of impressions every kneel will still garner.

No one on either side will be willing to just ignore this now. Maybe 2 years ago, but the genie is completely out of the bottle.
Why not just go with 'O Canada'...  
MOOPS : 8/18/2018 2:34 pm : link


and confuse the bejeezus out of everybody?
singer  
Hilary : 8/18/2018 5:37 pm : link
Show the singer not the players
Back to the Corner