Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

NGT: How do people dislike Gronk?

Beezer : 9/13/2018 8:43 am
Watching and listening to his comments, responding or more accurately not responding to the trash talk coming from Ramsey, it really cements everything Iíve always thought about Rob Gronkowski.

Seems like a great, albeit goofy, guy who is really enjoying himself. Is he a rocket surgeon? Probably not. But over the years Iíve seen so many negative comments and reactions in the guyís direction that itís baffling.

Is he perfect? Probably not. But he seems like a good teammate, clearly a phenomenal player who leaves it all on the field.

Asked about the Jax DBís comments, yesterday Gronk said, among other things, that (paraphrasing) he (Ramsey) must have seen something on the film, so I will need to work hard to get better at football. Such a Belichick response.

Anyhow, I know, random ... just have never understood why more non-New England fans arenít flat-out entertained by the guy.

Would never see myself actually rooting for the Patriots, especially in a game like this one. But I wouldnít mind if Gronkowski had a monster day, win or lose.
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
RE: RE: Best TE ever?  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 9/13/2018 9:04 am : link
In comment 14073455 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 14073453 Britt in VA said:


Quote:


Hmmmm.



st worst in the conversation, right?

I can't think of many better two-way TE's let alone solely offensive TE's in my football watching history.

It's interesting listening to Belichick talk about Bavaro and Gronk.

Bill Walsh said Bavaro was the best TE in the league.
Best tight end ever  
Tuckrule : 9/13/2018 9:06 am : link
Tony G and it isnít really close. Longevity plus production. Dude never missed a game. Had nearly 1k every season and blocked like a tackle.
RE: Wait, you can't consider Gonzalez a candidate for best TE ever?  
pjcas18 : 9/13/2018 9:09 am : link
In comment 14073470 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
Dude was a 6 time all pro, 14 time pro bowler, 14,000 plus yards receiving and 111 TD's.


I'm talking two-way TE's, sorry if that's not clear. While Gronk IMO is in the elite league offensively with any of those guys he will likely come up short with the stat accumulation for those people who use that for their evaluation criteria.

Of course players like Gonzo, Gates, Sharpe, Winslow, etc. were great players. They're hall-of-famers.

but they didn't block, and I consider half the role of the TE to be a blocker, and when you look at the position holistically, not one dimensionally there are few if any peers in Gronk's class.

Ditka, Witten, Bavaro, those are the types of TE's I'm talking about.

RE: Best tight end ever  
Britt in VA : 9/13/2018 9:09 am : link
In comment 14073484 Tuckrule said:
Quote:
Tony G and it isnít really close. Longevity plus production. Dude never missed a game. Had nearly 1k every season and blocked like a tackle.


Right?

Dare I say that Gonzalez also played in a more physical era, as well.
RE: RE: Wait, you can't consider Gonzalez a candidate for best TE ever?  
Britt in VA : 9/13/2018 9:15 am : link
In comment 14073487 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 14073470 Britt in VA said:


Quote:


Dude was a 6 time all pro, 14 time pro bowler, 14,000 plus yards receiving and 111 TD's.



I'm talking two-way TE's, sorry if that's not clear. While Gronk IMO is in the elite league offensively with any of those guys he will likely come up short with the stat accumulation for those people who use that for their evaluation criteria.

Of course players like Gonzo, Gates, Sharpe, Winslow, etc. were great players. They're hall-of-famers.

but they didn't block, and I consider half the role of the TE to be a blocker, and when you look at the position holistically, not one dimensionally there are few if any peers in Gronk's class.

Ditka, Witten, Bavaro, those are the types of TE's I'm talking about.


Okay, well I'm going to disagree that Shannon Sharpe was not a blocking TE. He was a beast.
Gronk is a beast.  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 9/13/2018 9:15 am : link
Definitely in consideration for best TE ever. And I don't mind the guy. He seems like a good hearted goofball.

As for Pats, I don't hate them at all. I like BB & respect Brady.
Gronk  
Csonka : 9/13/2018 9:19 am : link
I'm another one in the camp that Gronk is the best TE ever.
Doesn't mean he'll have the best career. He'll retire too soon. He's played 8 seasons and was hurt in a couple of them.

Gonzalez played 17 seasons.

Pete Rose had the most hits ... doesn't make him the best hitter.
RE: who dislikes him?  
Ceez2.0 : 9/13/2018 9:21 am : link
In comment 14073443 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
he's the best TE ever to play the game.

And he's a weird dude off the field.

I think some people feel he's not as scrutinized as someone like Beckham, because let's be honest Gronk has had some bad moments on and off the field, but those are people who usually try and make everything about race.


Which "off the field moments" are you referring to? Not trying to be a contrarian, just can't think off the top of my head any issues he has had.

The cheap shot against the bills player is the worst thing I can think of, that was on the field.
If he played on the Giants he would be a fan favorite here  
Mike from Ohio : 9/13/2018 9:23 am : link
But he plays for the Patriots so people don't like him. Fandom is emotional so for many the reason they don't like him is simply because of the team he plays on.

I think the NFL could use more guys like Gronk. He acts like a guy playing a game for a living and he does it without being disrespectful to other players. He plays hurt and he works his ass off, and he is a hell of a blocker in addition to being an excellent route runner and receiver. It also doesn't hurt that he went to the same college I did, so maybe I am a little biased.

The league needs talented players, but if you asked me if I wanted a Gronkowski type or a Jalen Ramsey type, I'd take the former everyday of the week.
RE: RE: RE: Wait, you can't consider Gonzalez a candidate for best TE ever?  
pjcas18 : 9/13/2018 9:24 am : link
In comment 14073499 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
In comment 14073487 pjcas18 said:


Quote:


In comment 14073470 Britt in VA said:


Quote:


Dude was a 6 time all pro, 14 time pro bowler, 14,000 plus yards receiving and 111 TD's.



I'm talking two-way TE's, sorry if that's not clear. While Gronk IMO is in the elite league offensively with any of those guys he will likely come up short with the stat accumulation for those people who use that for their evaluation criteria.

Of course players like Gonzo, Gates, Sharpe, Winslow, etc. were great players. They're hall-of-famers.

but they didn't block, and I consider half the role of the TE to be a blocker, and when you look at the position holistically, not one dimensionally there are few if any peers in Gronk's class.

Ditka, Witten, Bavaro, those are the types of TE's I'm talking about.




Okay, well I'm going to disagree that Shannon Sharpe was not a blocking TE. He was a beast.


I've never heard anyone say Shannon Sharpe was a beat blocking. And I certainly don't have that opinion myself.

But whatever, we can agree to disagree, after my initial post and your reply I said Gronk is in the conversation for best TE of all time.

You don't think he is.

We can agree to disagree.

especially about Shannon Sharpe being a beast.
Well....  
Britt in VA : 9/13/2018 9:25 am : link
he won 3 Superbowls in run heavy offenses, I'd say he probably contributed a little in the blocking department. I think he was an underrated blocker.
RE: RE: who dislikes him?  
pjcas18 : 9/13/2018 9:29 am : link
In comment 14073509 Ceez2.0 said:
Quote:
In comment 14073443 pjcas18 said:


Quote:


he's the best TE ever to play the game.

And he's a weird dude off the field.

I think some people feel he's not as scrutinized as someone like Beckham, because let's be honest Gronk has had some bad moments on and off the field, but those are people who usually try and make everything about race.



Which "off the field moments" are you referring to? Not trying to be a contrarian, just can't think off the top of my head any issues he has had.

The cheap shot against the bills player is the worst thing I can think of, that was on the field.


Just questionable stuff like going out to a club after the SB loss (SBXLVI) and dancing (when he had an injured ankle in the game and could barely move), being in Wrestlemania a couple months post surgery, the jumpsuit party at drake's house (with Beckham), the dance off with Shaq. I don't have issues with any of it personally, but it gets publicized and people (on here) would routinely say "if that was Beckham it would be a big deal or a bigger deal"

and stuff like this at one of the SB parades (I live in metro-Boston, everything Gronk does hits the news just like Beckham, but some people claim a double-standard):

gonzalez  
Les in TO : 9/13/2018 9:31 am : link
and sharpe were both decent blockers.
part frat-boy  
JonC : 9/13/2018 9:34 am : link
part pro rassler ... appeals to the LCD.
What's impressive to me about Gronk  
Jay on the Island : 9/13/2018 9:37 am : link
is that he reportedly hasn't spent any money that he has made from his NFL contracts. He lives off the endorsements and gets paid to party.
Itís definitely a double standard  
UConn4523 : 9/13/2018 9:39 am : link
sure the news covers it but for some reason they love it. Maybe itís because he comes off as a frat boy moron. Likely has more to do with being a Pat, but still. When you play dumb long enough I guess it gives you a pass.

Iíd wager that Gronk wouldnít get away with any of it anywhere else.
RE: Just to set the record straight  
gmenatlarge : 9/13/2018 9:44 am : link
In comment 14073465 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
what the hell is a "rocket surgeon"?


I'm guessing combination rocket scientist/brain surgeon!
I think the guy's hilarious, but is Beez really asking how  
jcn56 : 9/13/2018 9:48 am : link
someone could find a meathead jock who gets a lot of camera time off the field annoying?
RE: RE: RE: who dislikes him?  
Ceez2.0 : 9/13/2018 9:51 am : link
In comment 14073529 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 14073509 Ceez2.0 said:


Quote:


In comment 14073443 pjcas18 said:


Quote:


he's the best TE ever to play the game.

And he's a weird dude off the field.

I think some people feel he's not as scrutinized as someone like Beckham, because let's be honest Gronk has had some bad moments on and off the field, but those are people who usually try and make everything about race.



Which "off the field moments" are you referring to? Not trying to be a contrarian, just can't think off the top of my head any issues he has had.

The cheap shot against the bills player is the worst thing I can think of, that was on the field.



Just questionable stuff like going out to a club after the SB loss (SBXLVI) and dancing (when he had an injured ankle in the game and could barely move), being in Wrestlemania a couple months post surgery, the jumpsuit party at drake's house (with Beckham), the dance off with Shaq. I don't have issues with any of it personally, but it gets publicized and people (on here) would routinely say "if that was Beckham it would be a big deal or a bigger deal"

and stuff like this at one of the SB parades (I live in metro-Boston, everything Gronk does hits the news just like Beckham, but some people claim a double-standard):



Gotcha.
RE: part frat-boy  
Mike from Ohio : 9/13/2018 9:52 am : link
In comment 14073541 JonC said:
Quote:
part pro rassler ... appeals to the LCD.


Or people don't get bent out of shape about him because he is a guy who plays a game for a living and has fun doing it. The question in the thread was "how do people dislike him?" not "who thinks Gronk is quality entertainment?"
RE: Just to set the record straight  
Ira : 9/13/2018 9:53 am : link
In comment 14073465 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
what the hell is a "rocket surgeon"?


Someone who performs surgery on rockets???
RE: RE: Just to set the record straight  
Rocky369 : 9/13/2018 9:57 am : link
In comment 14073472 Les in TO said:
Quote:
In comment 14073465 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


what the hell is a "rocket surgeon"?

lol, clearly, Beezer is not a rocket surgeon either :)
paycheques
RE: Gronk is a beast.  
BigBlue4You09 : 9/13/2018 10:01 am : link
In comment 14073500 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
Definitely in consideration for best TE ever. And I don't mind the guy. He seems like a good hearted goofball.

As for Pats, I don't hate them at all. I like BB & respect Brady.


+1
He's probably  
Gman11 : 9/13/2018 10:04 am : link
glad he's not a rocket surgeon. He makes more money and gets to retire while in his 30s.
Speaking of  
pjcas18 : 9/13/2018 10:06 am : link
paycheques, Gronk still says he hasn't touched a cent of his NFL contract money.

He lives off his endorsements.

Not judging it, but saying it explains some of his ubiquitous-ness, since he made that decision, right or wrong, he finds other ways to get paid.

I found this whole line of thinking funny for a guy whose earned probably $50M in NFL money.

Quote:
.....
While Gronkowski isn't known for purchasing extravagant things, he did admit that he finally decided to treat himself this offseason -- especially after earning $10.5 million from New England after hitting all of the incentives in his contract, including an All-Pro selection.

"My friend had a chain, and I was like, 'Dang, man, that's a nice chain.' I never had jewelry in my life," Gronkowski said. "He let me wear it last year at a party. "It made me feel good. So in the back of my head, I said, 'If I hit all my incentives, if I do everything I need to do, get all my bonuses, put all the work in, I've got to finally treat myself.

"It's been eight years. I haven't really bought myself anything in my career. Don't really have anything luxury like that. Last week, I went out and finally got myself a chain."

Gronkowski's track record of fiscal responsibility is apparently well known throughout the league, as Gronk admitted that younger NFL players have gone up to him to get his input on certain expenses.

"I had this one guy this year, he came up to me," Gronkowski said. "He was like, 'Hey, Rob, you've got a Hummer. I see it. I want to get a Hummer. But my agent is telling me that I shouldn't get a Hummer. It costs too much. It's like $22,000. He's like, 'What do you think? You've got a Hummer. How much gas does it take?'

"And I was like, 'Dude, if you want a Hummer, you've played one year, you can get a Hummer. It's $22,000. It's not like you're paying for luxury. You can pay for the gas and everything.' And I was like, 'What are you doing right now? What's your car?' And he was like, 'Oh, I got a rental.' I'm like, 'How much you paying for the rental a week?' He was like, '$400.' I was like, 'Dog, hurry up and buy that damn Hummer.'".....

RE: RE: part frat-boy  
JonC : 9/13/2018 10:06 am : link
In comment 14073570 Mike from Ohio said:
Quote:
In comment 14073541 JonC said:


Quote:


part pro rassler ... appeals to the LCD.



Or people don't get bent out of shape about him because he is a guy who plays a game for a living and has fun doing it. The question in the thread was "how do people dislike him?" not "who thinks Gronk is quality entertainment?"


Uninterested in the distinction.
I like him  
ron mexico : 9/13/2018 10:07 am : link
great player and fun personality.

In a similar vein I appreciated (I wont say liked) DJax.
He was a great heel for the Giants and made the games more entertaining.

and he's no pre madonna either  
gtt350 : 9/13/2018 10:07 am : link
.
Seems like a good enough guy.  
Keith : 9/13/2018 10:10 am : link
Like everyone else, he's not perfect, but he seems to enjoy his life. The realist is that there are a lot of haters out there. Dumb jock gets paid millions and thoroughly enjoys his life....annoying!!

I like him. I enjoy watching him play football. I root for him to succeed.
RE: Seems like a good enough guy.  
Mike from Ohio : 9/13/2018 10:29 am : link
In comment 14073605 Keith said:
Quote:
Like everyone else, he's not perfect, but he seems to enjoy his life. The realist is that there are a lot of haters out there. Dumb jock gets paid millions and thoroughly enjoys his life....annoying!!

I like him. I enjoy watching him play football. I root for him to succeed.


I think some people forget football is entertainment.
Hey, he had a race horse named for him!  
Post Time : 9/13/2018 10:30 am : link
What's not to like?
I don't hate the guy, just not my scene  
JonC : 9/13/2018 10:32 am : link
Quite frankly, I don't pay much attention to non-Giants or off the field stuff.
RE: RE: Just to set the record straight  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 9/13/2018 10:34 am : link
In comment 14073572 Ira said:
Quote:
In comment 14073465 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


what the hell is a "rocket surgeon"?



Someone who performs surgery on rockets???

Raghib Ishmail's surgeon of course.
RE: RE: Just to set the record straight  
Jay on the Island : 9/13/2018 10:37 am : link
In comment 14073572 Ira said:
Quote:
In comment 14073465 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


what the hell is a "rocket surgeon"?



Someone who performs surgery on rockets???

No dummy it's surgery on people who have been hit by rockets. Duh!
RE: Just to set the record straight  
Gatorade Dunk : 9/13/2018 11:09 am : link
In comment 14073465 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
what the hell is a "rocket surgeon"?

Maybe you can due diligence it.
Likable Character  
fanofthejets : 9/13/2018 11:15 am : link
I like Gronk the person. But when that uniform goes on my contempt for him becomes fanatical.

RE: Just to set the record straight  
PaulBlakeTSU : 9/13/2018 11:31 am : link
In comment 14073465 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
what the hell is a "rocket surgeon"?


Beezer was being tongue-in-cheek to jokingly show a lack of self-awareness in criticizing Gronk's intelligence.
I don't love the meathead "bro" culture  
PaulBlakeTSU : 9/13/2018 11:37 am : link
that Gronk seems to perpetuate. But he seems like a good guy that is financially responsible and stays out of trouble. Outside of that one dirty, late hit, I can't recall any other instances that reflected poorly on his character, on or off the field.

As far as his abilities as a TE, I think he is the most dominant I have ever seen given that he is the biggest mismatch I've seen as a TE receiver and perhaps the best blocker of all the great receiving TEs. He won't have the best career, though. I think I view him similarly to Aaron Rodgers at QB.
Gronk is very interesting...  
bw in dc : 9/13/2018 11:46 am : link
It seems like his personality is so anti-Patriots way. But he certainly knows when to walk the corporate line - like he's doing here.

To me, he is the single most difficult match-up in the NFL when he's healthy. There are many times when Brady throws these seemingly ill-advised balls into double coverage and Gronk grabs it like a Nerf ball. It's really incredible. And then once he catches the ball, you've got to deal with the problem of wrestling the giraffe to the ground.

Guy is just a force...
RE: Likable Character  
Gatorade Dunk : 9/13/2018 12:27 pm : link
In comment 14073727 fanofthejets said:
Quote:
I like Gronk the person. But when that uniform goes on my contempt for him becomes fanatical.

No one cares.
He is what Shockey was supposed to  
TMS : 9/13/2018 2:04 pm : link
be. But we got a self centered, foot ball talented, moron with a substance abuse problem.
RE: RE: Likable Character  
RinR : 9/13/2018 2:41 pm : link
In comment 14073807 Gatorade Dunk said:
Quote:
In comment 14073727 fanofthejets said:


Quote:


I like Gronk the person. But when that uniform goes on my contempt for him becomes fanatical.



No one cares.


Lol
Gronk just seems like a regular guy...  
BillKo : 9/13/2018 4:06 pm : link
..remember when his house was robbed, and his 911 phone call??

"Hi, this RG......I was away at the Superbowl and my house was robbed..........."

Great player, one of my fav non-Giants............
RE: who dislikes him?  
Brick72 : 9/15/2018 5:50 am : link
In comment 14073443 pjcas18 said:
Quote:


I think some people feel he's not as scrutinized as someone like Beckham, because let's be honest Gronk has had some bad moments on and off the field, but those are people who usually try and make everything about race.


Says the only person on the entire thread to even mention race. SMH. You can't make this stuff up.
Some might remember  
bc4life : 9/15/2018 9:20 am : link
that scumbag cheap shot he took after a DB intercepted Brady and then went to the ground. Gronk launched into him with clear intention to punish or hurt the player.
...  
christian : 9/15/2018 9:44 am : link
He's a goofball, and his evolved from an immature one to a guy who owns it and knows how market it.

He's gotten plenty of criticism and flack, and has definitely not be spared by the media or fans. Looks like he's come out the other side.

He actually gives me hope for OBJ, who has some of those same tendencies.
Gronk has the brain of a 4 yr old child...  
PEEJ : 9/15/2018 11:59 am : link
...and he was glad to get rid of it !
RE: Wait, you can't consider Gonzalez a candidate for best TE ever?  
EricJ : 9/15/2018 5:50 pm : link
In comment 14073470 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
Dude was a 6 time all pro, 14 time pro bowler, 14,000 plus yards receiving and 111 TD's.


I know, it is amazing how Hate>Objectivity
RE: RE: Wait, you can't consider Gonzalez a candidate for best TE ever?  
Brick72 : 9/15/2018 7:01 pm : link
In comment 14075711 EricJ said:
Quote:
In comment 14073470 Britt in VA said:


Quote:


Dude was a 6 time all pro, 14 time pro bowler, 14,000 plus yards receiving and 111 TD's.



I know, it is amazing how Hate>Objectivity
Anyone who says Tony Gonzalez is not an all time TE candidate simply has a very narrow focus. Put Tony Gonzalez out there today and see how many teams would fall over themselves to get him. I mean, come on. The guy is 6 or 7 in all time receiving yards in the NFL. Duh, a whole lot of teams will find other alternate blocking assignments to get that kind of production out of their TE. As a Giants fan I never really cared for Gonzalez but I respected what he did for the game.
After over 40 years of  
Rick5 : 9/15/2018 9:35 pm : link
being a giants fan, with a few very rare exceptions, I don't care about players on other teams.
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner