Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

NFT: MSU Larry Nasser case even worse then imagined

BigBlueDownTheShore : 9/13/2018 12:14 pm
Quote:
A new lawsuit alleges that Michigan State University officials were made aware of a videotaped rape of an underage girl by Dr. Larry Nassar but covered it up, told a coach who reported it to resign, and stripped the victim of a scholarship.

The federal suit, filed in Michigan Monday on behalf of Erika Davis of California and other plaintiffs whose names were not revealed, says Davis was given a pill by Nassar during an exam in the spring of 1992, when she was 17, and raped as a video camera captured the attack.

Davis, a scholarship field hockey player at MSU who was referred to Nassar by her coach, told her coach what happened, and the coach in turn went to Nassar's office, demanded the video, and received it, according to the suit.

But when she complained about the doctor to then-athletic director George Perles, "she was forced to return the video, resign and sign a non-disclosure agreement," the suit claims..



New lawsuit alleges Larry Nassar drugged, raped and impregnated teen at Michigan State - ( New Window )
The cover-up for  
dune69 : 9/13/2018 12:21 pm : link
one perverted trainer (at the time) is grossly unbelievable. It is amazing to me that one of these girls father did not take this guy out.
RE: The cover-up for  
ron mexico : 9/13/2018 12:24 pm : link
In comment 14073798 dune69 said:
Quote:
one perverted trainer (at the time) is grossly unbelievable. It is amazing to me that one of these girls father did not take this guy out.


Yeah I don't get it.

Why did these people put themselves at risk for this guy?

Its not like the MSU athletic program would crumble if he was not there.

He's going to get what he deserves  
Br00klyn : 9/13/2018 12:24 pm : link
at some point. Chomo's dont last long in prison
RE: He's going to get what he deserves  
Jay on the Island : 9/13/2018 12:25 pm : link
In comment 14073802 Br00klyn said:
Quote:
at some point. Chomo's dont last long in prison

No he deserves far worse than he will receive.
This is the part I don't get  
pjcas18 : 9/13/2018 12:28 pm : link
and I'm not criticizing, just trying to wrap my head around it.

If I'm a coach, and I report this and get this response, I don't see any way I actually comply with this, I think I'd probably call the police. I know it's hard to put ourselves in these situations looking back retrospectively, but it seems pretty clear and not very speculative.

Quote:
But when she complained about the doctor to then-athletic director George Perles, "she was forced to return the video, resign and sign a non-disclosure agreement," the suit claims..


I can't comprehend what is going through the coaches head when she reports a drugging, raping and video taping to the AD and he says give me the tape, you will resign and sign an NDA and pack your shit.

Just saying "ok" and complying with that and just leaving.

RE: The cover-up for  
Boy Cord : 9/13/2018 12:30 pm : link
In comment 14073798 dune69 said:
Quote:
one perverted trainer (at the time) is grossly unbelievable. It is amazing to me that one of these girls father did not take this guy out.


It's also amazing to me that not one campus leader or member of law enforcement put an end to this very early on or at any time over 20+ years. Unbelievable.

The bottom line is MSU did not want to sully their name and reputation with a sexual abuse scandal. Their instinct was the protect the institution. Despicable.

I am as livid I was with the pieces of shit at Penn State and Baylor and more recently, Ohio State and Maryland.

NCAA sports can curl up and die for all I care.
RE: RE: He's going to get what he deserves  
Boy Cord : 9/13/2018 12:33 pm : link
In comment 14073803 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
In comment 14073802 Br00klyn said:


Quote:


at some point. Chomo's dont last long in prison


No he deserves far worse than he will receive.


Nassar is starting to get what he deserves and he will get more. However, there are numerous other individuals that played a role in the cover-up that haven't faced justice. The investigations need to continue and everyone with their hands in this need to be held accountable.
Boy Cord, to that end  
Rocky369 : 9/13/2018 12:36 pm : link
I don't get what they're trying to accomplish with any sort of NDA. By forcing an NDA, your intimidating the witness not to speak, and needs to be prosecuted like any mob boss. But besides that, what does it accomplish? If you rat us out and we all go to the clink, we get to try and sue you?
RE: Boy Cord, to that end  
Boy Cord : 9/13/2018 12:39 pm : link
In comment 14073822 Rocky369 said:
Quote:
I don't get what they're trying to accomplish with any sort of NDA. By forcing an NDA, your intimidating the witness not to speak, and needs to be prosecuted like any mob boss. But besides that, what does it accomplish? If you rat us out and we all go to the clink, we get to try and sue you?


You said it. Intimidation.
as PJ  
ColHowPepper : 9/13/2018 12:39 pm : link
there's something in this story, or the reporting of it, that just does not make sense
Most of the times I disagree with the barbaric punishments  
jcn56 : 9/13/2018 12:44 pm : link
doled out in third world countries.

This is not one of those times. This fucker deserved to be dragged out into the street and stoned to death by an angry mob.
RE: Most of the times I disagree with the barbaric punishments  
Br00klyn : 9/13/2018 12:48 pm : link
In comment 14073830 jcn56 said:
Quote:
doled out in third world countries.

This is not one of those times. This fucker deserved to be dragged out into the street and stoned to death by an angry mob.


Unfortunately they moved him to a high security prison just to keep this POS safe. should have left him in general population to fight for his life on a daily basis
Agree with pj on this  
Mike from Ohio : 9/13/2018 1:42 pm : link
The coach had the decency to go demand the tape and then report it to the AD. What can possibly happen to then make her sign an NDA, resign and remain silent? How does she not walk out of there with the tape and go directly to the police to report it?

There seems to be a giant hole in that story...
Maybe Nasser had some kind of dirt on people high up  
lawguy9801 : 9/13/2018 1:56 pm : link
within MSU and they were protecting themselves by covering for him?

It's the only thing I can think of.

I didn't think it could get worse than Jerry Sandusky, but apparently it can.
This university needs to be sued into oblivion.  
Heisenberg : 9/13/2018 1:59 pm : link
Incredible stuff.
RE: Maybe Nasser had some kind of dirt on people high up  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 9/13/2018 2:08 pm : link
In comment 14073949 lawguy9801 said:
Quote:
within MSU and they were protecting themselves by covering for him?

It's the only thing I can think of.

I didn't think it could get worse than Jerry Sandusky, but apparently it can.


Well this instance was in the early 90's I believe, so it was easier to cover things up.

It's to hard to hide anything in the modern age. Transparency will rule supreme.
RE: This is the part I don't get  
Bchurch : 9/13/2018 2:09 pm : link
In comment 14073810 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
and I'm not criticizing, just trying to wrap my head around it.

If I'm a coach, and I report this and get this response, I don't see any way I actually comply with this, I think I'd probably call the police. I know it's hard to put ourselves in these situations looking back retrospectively, but it seems pretty clear and not very speculative.



Quote:


But when she complained about the doctor to then-athletic director George Perles, "she was forced to return the video, resign and sign a non-disclosure agreement," the suit claims..



I can't comprehend what is going through the coaches head when she reports a drugging, raping and video taping to the AD and he says give me the tape, you will resign and sign an NDA and pack your shit.

Just saying "ok" and complying with that and just leaving.


This makes no sense to me.. At that point you have all of the leverage, unless the AD had leverage over the coach, which isn't out of the realm of possibility. Why else would you hand over the tape, and sign an NDA after being fired?
So, her coach gets the tape  
section125 : 9/13/2018 2:19 pm : link
and gives it to her and then AD George Perles tells her to give it back, fires the coach, makes her sign a NDS and takes away her scholarship???

No doubt Nassar will burn in hell, but this just doesn't make sense.
As this comes to light  
Gman11 : 9/13/2018 2:29 pm : link
and all the other power hungry people in positions of authority that thought they could get away with raping young women, I hope the punishment is severe.

Has Penn State suffered over the Sandusky scandal? Not nearly enough.

I'm not sure what's worse, the actual sexual assault or the slap on wrist for punishment.
I know there's a death penalty for a college sports program  
BlackLight : 9/13/2018 3:09 pm : link
Have we explored the idea of just giving the whole University a death penalty? Like, just shutter the place, chain the doors closed, and let nature reclaim it?

Maybe in 30 years, Buzzfeed could do a picture slideshow of MSU, like they due for abandoned amusement parks, movie theaters, and Chernobyl.
Keep in mind..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 9/13/2018 3:29 pm : link
that this is simply a filing of a lawsuit.

The onus will be to prove that the allegations are true.

Now, I have no idea if they are true or not, but the story details don't seem to add up
RE: I know there's a death penalty for a college sports program  
Les in TO : 9/13/2018 3:42 pm : link
In comment 14074068 BlackLight said:
Quote:
Have we explored the idea of just giving the whole University a death penalty? Like, just shutter the place, chain the doors closed, and let nature reclaim it?

Maybe in 30 years, Buzzfeed could do a picture slideshow of MSU, like they due for abandoned amusement parks, movie theaters, and Chernobyl.
or closer to home, the Pontiac silverdome.
RE: So, her coach gets the tape  
Heisenberg : 9/13/2018 3:50 pm : link
In comment 14073989 section125 said:
Quote:
and gives it to her and then AD George Perles tells her to give it back, fires the coach, makes her sign a NDS and takes away her scholarship???

No doubt Nassar will burn in hell, but this just doesn't make sense.


It doesn't say that the coach gave the tape to the girl. Just that the coach had it. It seems to me that Perles probably pressured the coach, perhaps with a payoff, and then the girl was left without anyone to back her story.
RE: RE: So, her coach gets the tape  
section125 : 9/13/2018 4:03 pm : link
In comment 14074129 Heisenberg said:
Quote:
In comment 14073989 section125 said:


Quote:


and gives it to her and then AD George Perles tells her to give it back, fires the coach, makes her sign a NDS and takes away her scholarship???

No doubt Nassar will burn in hell, but this just doesn't make sense.



It doesn't say that the coach gave the tape to the girl. Just that the coach had it. It seems to me that Perles probably pressured the coach, perhaps with a payoff, and then the girl was left without anyone to back her story.


Yes it does. Read the last sentence in the OP...
I never  
mattyblue : 9/13/2018 7:56 pm : link
followed this too closely as all the initial stuff was disgusting enough for this father of 2 girls. It’s beyond disturbing. How anyone can be so vile is unreal. What I have never really understood or read is why anyone would cover anything up for him? Maybe I could understand an isolated incident they fire the guy and pay people off to avoid the story getting out. Not saying that’s the right thing, but I could at least make sense of it. However it’s the same as Penn State. The people that covered up for him over and over again are equally as absolutely disgusting. Why would they bother? Just get him arrested and move on. Why would anyone cover for the guy? I’d turn in my closest of friends if they were doing this type of shit. People must have known that he was guilty of this shit as he climbed the ranks. I don’t understand how so many people allowed this and Penn St to occur.
I hope Nassar  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 9/13/2018 8:06 pm : link
rots in hell.
At what point do we start holding  
Knineteen : 9/13/2018 9:23 pm : link
Universities to a higher standard? I mean, a fucking doctor of all people.

If my daughter is claiming rape, I'm going straight to the police. Why are we letting Universities be responsible for these investigations?! Investigations that are conducted for the sole purpose of protecting the University's brand. The Catholic church did this for decades and it turned out very poorly for them.
RE: At what point do we start holding  
Gregorio : 9/14/2018 12:51 am : link
In comment 14074408 Knineteen said:
Quote:
Universities to a higher standard? I mean, a fucking doctor of all people.

If my daughter is claiming rape, I'm going straight to the police. Why are we letting Universities be responsible for these investigations?! Investigations that are conducted for the sole purpose of protecting the University's brand. The Catholic church did this for decades and it turned out very poorly for them.


I think this is part of the lesson learned by this disaster of a story... For a serious crime like rape, don't rely on your organization, whether its a Univ or Corporation to handle the investigation. Just go straight to the police.

Hindsight is 20/20, but that probably was a better course of action for the coach to take.

RE: Agree with pj on this  
LakeGeorgeGiant : 9/14/2018 7:24 am : link
In comment 14073926 Mike from Ohio said:
Quote:
The coach had the decency to go demand the tape and then report it to the AD. What can possibly happen to then make her sign an NDA, resign and remain silent? How does she not walk out of there with the tape and go directly to the police to report it?

There seems to be a giant hole in that story...


Men tend to not grasp the power of intimidation and fear in these situations. Whenever these stories break, people (mostly men) respond with "why didn't she say something sooner? Why didn't she do this or that? This doesnt make sense, I would of gone to the police!"

You are a man, it's totally different.

This woman was probably intimidated and frightened into doing what was asked of her. It's likely that she kept silent for a time out of fear and/or embarrassment for complying with their request.

Let's see what else comes out of this.
RE: RE: At what point do we start holding  
ron mexico : 9/14/2018 7:46 am : link
In comment 14074501 Gregorio said:
Quote:
In comment 14074408 Knineteen said:


Quote:


Universities to a higher standard? I mean, a fucking doctor of all people.

If my daughter is claiming rape, I'm going straight to the police. Why are we letting Universities be responsible for these investigations?! Investigations that are conducted for the sole purpose of protecting the University's brand. The Catholic church did this for decades and it turned out very poorly for them.



I think this is part of the lesson learned by this disaster of a story... For a serious crime like rape, don't rely on your organization, whether its a Univ or Corporation to handle the investigation. Just go straight to the police.

Hindsight is 20/20, but that probably was a better course of action for the coach to take.


The suit claims she went to the police and they referred her to the athletic director saying "drop it " and "he's a very powerful man"
RE: RE: Agree with pj on this  
pjcas18 : 9/14/2018 8:50 am : link
In comment 14074532 LakeGeorgeGiant said:
Quote:
In comment 14073926 Mike from Ohio said:


Quote:


The coach had the decency to go demand the tape and then report it to the AD. What can possibly happen to then make her sign an NDA, resign and remain silent? How does she not walk out of there with the tape and go directly to the police to report it?

There seems to be a giant hole in that story...



Men tend to not grasp the power of intimidation and fear in these situations. Whenever these stories break, people (mostly men) respond with "why didn't she say something sooner? Why didn't she do this or that? This doesnt make sense, I would of gone to the police!"

You are a man, it's totally different.

This woman was probably intimidated and frightened into doing what was asked of her. It's likely that she kept silent for a time out of fear and/or embarrassment for complying with their request.

Let's see what else comes out of this.


I believe you are confusing the victim and the coach. Sure, the victim I believe was probably feeling all those things, shame, confusion, anger, fear, and any actions the victim did I would never question.

I'm talking about the coach who the victim came forward to, and who confronted the AD. Yes, she's a woman, but it's IMO misogynistic and stereotypical to claim the coach was intimidated or ashamed or confused (without knowing more facts).

Sure, you can use a buzzword and a typical media response and say it's main-splaining and men can't comprehend this - because I'm male and I have an opinion, but many women I've heard talk about this story feel the exact same way, the coach didn't do enough once the victim came forward.

to FMiC's point this is all a lawsuit so far, so until more facts come out no conclusions should be drawn, but that's the part of the story that seems infuriating (secondarily). Obviously the acts by Nasser are gruesome and the most sickening here, but the inaction, the coverups, and the silencing by others is infuriating too because it allowed the situation to continue and led to many more victims.

RE: RE: RE: Agree with pj on this  
ron mexico : 9/14/2018 9:14 am : link
In comment 14074590 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 14074532 LakeGeorgeGiant said:


Quote:


In comment 14073926 Mike from Ohio said:


Quote:


The coach had the decency to go demand the tape and then report it to the AD. What can possibly happen to then make her sign an NDA, resign and remain silent? How does she not walk out of there with the tape and go directly to the police to report it?

There seems to be a giant hole in that story...



Men tend to not grasp the power of intimidation and fear in these situations. Whenever these stories break, people (mostly men) respond with "why didn't she say something sooner? Why didn't she do this or that? This doesnt make sense, I would of gone to the police!"

You are a man, it's totally different.

This woman was probably intimidated and frightened into doing what was asked of her. It's likely that she kept silent for a time out of fear and/or embarrassment for complying with their request.

Let's see what else comes out of this.



I believe you are confusing the victim and the coach. Sure, the victim I believe was probably feeling all those things, shame, confusion, anger, fear, and any actions the victim did I would never question.

I'm talking about the coach who the victim came forward to, and who confronted the AD. Yes, she's a woman, but it's IMO misogynistic and stereotypical to claim the coach was intimidated or ashamed or confused (without knowing more facts).

Sure, you can use a buzzword and a typical media response and say it's main-splaining and men can't comprehend this - because I'm male and I have an opinion, but many women I've heard talk about this story feel the exact same way, the coach didn't do enough once the victim came forward.

to FMiC's point this is all a lawsuit so far, so until more facts come out no conclusions should be drawn, but that's the part of the story that seems infuriating (secondarily). Obviously the acts by Nasser are gruesome and the most sickening here, but the inaction, the coverups, and the silencing by others is infuriating too because it allowed the situation to continue and led to many more victims.


The AD can still intimidate the coach. I'm sure these ADs all know each other and could get her blackballed.

I'm not sure this is a male / female issue though.
I agree the  
pjcas18 : 9/14/2018 9:19 am : link
AD can intimidate a coach, but also to your point it's not a male/female thing.

Furthermore, from the article, the coach was forced to re-sign, how does the AD have any leverage or power over the coach at that point? "you'll never work in this field again?" the coach allegedly had a video of Nasser drugging and raping a woman. an underage woman in his medical care.

maybe it's because I'm a man (though I find that sexist against women), but I can't fathom without hearing details, how that coach doesn't make more of this than what she did. especially once fired. Best case I can think of is they lied to her and said the victim has signed some type of agreement requesting confidentiality or something like that and the coach felt her hands were tied respecting the victim's wishes, but that's really flimsy IMO.
RE: I agree the  
ron mexico : 9/14/2018 9:27 am : link
In comment 14074629 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
AD can intimidate a coach, but also to your point it's not a male/female thing.

Furthermore, from the article, the coach was forced to re-sign, how does the AD have any leverage or power over the coach at that point? "you'll never work in this field again?" the coach allegedly had a video of Nasser drugging and raping a woman. an underage woman in his medical care.

maybe it's because I'm a man (though I find that sexist against women), but I can't fathom without hearing details, how that coach doesn't make more of this than what she did. especially once fired. Best case I can think of is they lied to her and said the victim has signed some type of agreement requesting confidentiality or something like that and the coach felt her hands were tied respecting the victim's wishes, but that's really flimsy IMO.


If you take the story as truth, the fact that they went to the cops and they told her to drop it because the AD is a very powerful man I could see how someone wouldn't want to push it any further.

If the police are afraid of the AD what is the field hockey coach doing to do to him?
RE: RE: I agree the  
pjcas18 : 9/14/2018 9:31 am : link
In comment 14074638 ron mexico said:
Quote:
In comment 14074629 pjcas18 said:


Quote:


AD can intimidate a coach, but also to your point it's not a male/female thing.

Furthermore, from the article, the coach was forced to re-sign, how does the AD have any leverage or power over the coach at that point? "you'll never work in this field again?" the coach allegedly had a video of Nasser drugging and raping a woman. an underage woman in his medical care.

maybe it's because I'm a man (though I find that sexist against women), but I can't fathom without hearing details, how that coach doesn't make more of this than what she did. especially once fired. Best case I can think of is they lied to her and said the victim has signed some type of agreement requesting confidentiality or something like that and the coach felt her hands were tied respecting the victim's wishes, but that's really flimsy IMO.



If you take the story as truth, the fact that they went to the cops and they told her to drop it because the AD is a very powerful man I could see how someone wouldn't want to push it any further.

If the police are afraid of the AD what is the field hockey coach doing to do to him?


That's why we need to wait for facts, I find that aspect even more infuriating.

How many victims were assaulted after this, those victims are partially the responsibility of anyone who sat on or dismissed this.

I just can't comprehend a world where an Athletic Director or Team Physician have everyone in the community including police, fearing them to the point they have the doctor raping a patient on video tape and people just let it go.

I need to learn more about the facts.
Ok, so per the story above,  
Gregorio : 9/14/2018 11:49 am : link
there are two levels of cover-up that went on:

1. AD Perles forcing the coach to return the tape, resign her job, and sign a non-disclosure agreement
2. The police advising the victim ‘she should just drop it’ because Perles is a ‘powerful man’

Per the story reported, the police were ‘university police’. I don’t know if that means they had the same civil authority as municipal police or were glorified security gurards.

Both cover-ups are deeply alarming.
RE: Ok, so per the story above,  
Mad Mike : 9/14/2018 11:52 am : link
In comment 14074815 Gregorio said:
Quote:
Per the story reported, the police were ‘university police’. I don’t know if that means they had the same civil authority as municipal police or were glorified security gurards.

They're legit police. (At least they are now. I assume that was the case at the time of this incident, but I don't know).
Back to the Corner