Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

NFT: Azierís walk-off

Big Blue in MD : 9/13/2018 10:43 pm
Anyone notice the home plate ump standing on the plate as Frazier scores. Weird interaction with Frazier having to step on the plate between the umpís leg and hindering the typical walk-off HR celebration.

The umps are certainly getting their payback for Frazierís wrong ball non-catch in LA. I thought what Frazier did was funny, but the more I think about it he cheated, bragged about it, and is now paying the price.
re do the  
spike : 9/13/2018 11:22 pm : link
thread title?
I watched it as it happened but  
Beezer : 9/13/2018 11:53 pm : link
hadnít noticed it. watched it again. Weird. And Frazier seemed to kind of bump him out of the way as he tapped home plate and on to celebrate. Ump absolutely blocked easy access to the plate.

Iíve never seen that before.
I watched it.  
allstarjim : 9/14/2018 12:20 am : link
MLB needs to nip that in the bud. Tom Hallion was not on that crew for the Dodgers game where Frazier pulled the fast one. But this must be some solidarity stuff with the umpires, it's the only explanation I can think of. I've never seen an ump stand right on home plate like that on a walk-off. IMO Hallion needs to be disciplined by MLB; I know this can be brushed aside as no big deal but it is revealing that this umpire had some kind of personal grudge against Frazier...that must be dealt with.
IMO Frazier didn't cheat  
allstarjim : 9/14/2018 12:23 am : link
It's gamesmanship. No worse than pretending to have legit caught the ball in the air on a short hop. Arguably close to catcher's framing a ball into a strike. Frazier's got a job to do, that's help his pitcher get outs. He's not there to do the umpire's job for him, too. It was quick thinking and a good play by Frazier. I get it that the umpire might have been embarrassed. He shouldn't have been, he made what he thought was the right call, and the Dodgers could've challenged and didn't.
RE: IMO Frazier didn't cheat  
Matt M. : 9/14/2018 1:47 am : link
In comment 14074498 allstarjim said:
Quote:
It's gamesmanship. No worse than pretending to have legit caught the ball in the air on a short hop. Arguably close to catcher's framing a ball into a strike. Frazier's got a job to do, that's help his pitcher get outs. He's not there to do the umpire's job for him, too. It was quick thinking and a good play by Frazier. I get it that the umpire might have been embarrassed. He shouldn't have been, he made what he thought was the right call, and the Dodgers could've challenged and didn't.
No, that's cheating.
RE: RE: IMO Frazier didn't cheat  
allstarjim : 9/14/2018 2:00 am : link
In comment 14074504 Matt M. said:
Quote:
In comment 14074498 allstarjim said:


Quote:


It's gamesmanship. No worse than pretending to have legit caught the ball in the air on a short hop. Arguably close to catcher's framing a ball into a strike. Frazier's got a job to do, that's help his pitcher get outs. He's not there to do the umpire's job for him, too. It was quick thinking and a good play by Frazier. I get it that the umpire might have been embarrassed. He shouldn't have been, he made what he thought was the right call, and the Dodgers could've challenged and didn't.

No, that's cheating.


Ok Sister Francis.
Jeter faked getting hit with a  
section125 : 9/14/2018 6:37 am : link
pitch. It is cheating. It helped your team. BFD.
RE: IMO Frazier didn't cheat  
Boy Cord : 9/14/2018 7:41 am : link
In comment 14074498 allstarjim said:
Quote:
It's gamesmanship. No worse than pretending to have legit caught the ball in the air on a short hop. Arguably close to catcher's framing a ball into a strike. Frazier's got a job to do, that's help his pitcher get outs. He's not there to do the umpire's job for him, too. It was quick thinking and a good play by Frazier. I get it that the umpire might have been embarrassed. He shouldn't have been, he made what he thought was the right call, and the Dodgers could've challenged and didn't.


Itís absolutely cheating and it was disrespectful to the game. An umpire missing a call that is in plain sight is one thing. Picking up a plastic ball while hidden from sight is another.
I dont think it was the ball in the stands that has the umps unhappy  
debo_GIANTS : 9/14/2018 7:57 am : link
with Frazier.

There have been several occasions this year where he ripped the umpires ball/strikes calls. Here is an article from earlier in the year:

[ur]https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/todd-frazier-umpires-1.18368386[/ur]
These umps  
Pete in MD : 9/14/2018 9:04 am : link
need to get over themselves. Just call the game. They all could be easily replaced by technology.
Frazier  
Csonka : 9/14/2018 10:33 am : link
I'm a Mets fan and I don't love what Frazier did. And if you're going to cheat, keep it to yourself or in the locker room. He showed the ump up by bragging about it.

That said, this ump absolutely needs to be disciplined for yesterday. He clearly lost impartiality. He doesn't get to have a say about Frazier. That's up to MLB.
Gamesmanship?  
Mad Mike : 9/14/2018 11:00 am : link
C'mon. If you get away with it, so be it, but it's very plainly cheating.

Regardless, the ump's behavior at home plate there is completely inappropriate.
That is weird.  
81_Great_Dane : 9/14/2018 11:06 am : link
Even if he was just trying to make sure Frazier touched the plate, it's weird.
He wasn't trying to make sure Frazier touched the plate  
Csonka : 9/14/2018 11:32 am : link
He's umpired a long time and never stood on the plate before. No umpire does. This was aimed at Frazier.
RE: Frazier  
allstarjim : 9/14/2018 11:57 am : link
In comment 14074717 Csonka said:
Quote:
I'm a Mets fan and I don't love what Frazier did. And if you're going to cheat, keep it to yourself or in the locker room. He showed the ump up by bragging about it.

That said, this ump absolutely needs to be disciplined for yesterday. He clearly lost impartiality. He doesn't get to have a say about Frazier. That's up to MLB.


He didn't brag about it. Steve Gelbs of SNY reviewed the tape and he was pressed on it and admitted it. That's it. He wasn't trying to show the ump up. He was trying to get an out.

Let me ask you, is slightly leaning into a pitch to get hit cheating? I thought it was a good move by Frazier, any MLBer would've done the same with the same opportunity and thought of it. Again, he's doing his job, the Dodgers could've challenged the call.
RE: He wasn't trying to make sure Frazier touched the plate  
allstarjim : 9/14/2018 12:00 pm : link
In comment 14074789 Csonka said:
Quote:
He's umpired a long time and never stood on the plate before. No umpire does. This was aimed at Frazier.


Yup. It was a petty act by the umpire, and again, MLB should not let that go unaddressed.
RE: re do the  
Big Blue in MD : 9/14/2018 12:47 pm : link
In comment 14074484 spike said:
Quote:
thread title?


Sorry about the title error. Bluetooth keyboard probs! Trying to change but can't figure out how to edit.
The hall monitors of the  
McNally's_Nuts : 9/14/2018 3:12 pm : link
MLB.

What a joke.
Back to the Corner