Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Post-Game Transcript: WR Odell Beckham Jr.

Eric from BBI : Admin : 9/30/2018 9:21 pm
Wide Receiver Odell Beckham Jr.
Postgame vs New Orleans
September 30, 2018

Q: How frustrating was it, why were they able to hold you in check?

A: A lot of zone coverage. I hate losing, we just have to come back to work and get it together.

Q: What do you think is holding back this offense through the first quarter of the season?

A: Youíre right there. Its just about putting all the pieces together. If you have three out of the four pieces hitting, itís not going to work. We need everybody doing what they are supposed to be doing. We are right there, we just have to keep chipping away.

Q: Are you discouraged at this point, what is your feeling?

A: Itís just a record, it is what it is. Itís not where we are going, itís just where we are at right now. We just have to start putting it together, we have to put all the pieces together.

Q: Why have you guys had so much trouble getting the ball down the field?

A: I donít know until I get in and watch the film. When you are in the middle of a game, itís not as easy to see as it is after the game when you can watch the film. We have to get in there and watch the film and see what is going on.

Q: As a leader of this team, what can you do to help turn it around and get a win next week?

A: Iím doing everything I can. I put my all into this. I have sacrificed everything, especially coming into this year. I have sacrificed and made personal changes, doing all I can to be the best teammate and bring everything that I can every Sunday. Itís disappointing when you have to leave like this. You work way too hard five or six days a week for 60 minutes of football. I hate to get out there and waste those 60 minutes.

Q: Talk about how the defense was able to hold them to field goals?

A: This is a team that scores 40 points a game and we were holding them. They get down to the red zone a couple times and we hold them to three points, thatís incredible for this team. As an offense, we have to capitalize on that. We have to be able to come out and score and put drives together like we did on the first drive. It was like that the first drive and that was it. We canít have that on any day, especially when you are playing a team like the Saints with a high-powered offense.


Q: What did you think after that first drive?

A: I thought it was going to be a good game. The way we were moving, everything was fast, fast, we were hitting it. After that, I donít know what happened. Like I said, I have to get in there and watch the film.

Q: Thatís 20 points or less in three games, what is your frustration level at this point?

A: I donít have a Richter scale of where the frustration level is. Itís definitely frustrating, you put your all into this, like I said. Itís one game we lost, you have to put your hard hat on and go back to work tomorrow.

Q:† In the past, you have been able to turn short gains into long touchdowns. What do you see this year that is preventing that?

A: I donít know, I just have to get in there and watch the film. Itís one play away still, I have been getting double and triple teamed for the past five years, nothing has changed. Safeties over the top, linebackers dropping. Like I said, itís really about all the pieces coming together.

Q: Why do you think things are so hard for this offense?

A: It seems like it shouldnít be this hard, but it is. We have to come out with that energy that we had last week. Like I said, everybody has to be hitting, itís not one person doing this, it has to be everybody. Itís a team sport, so we just have to pull together.

Q: You guys have made so many changes, are you surprised the results have been the same?

A: I donít even know how to answer that. Itís definitely not the results we want, this is not the way we want to play. It is what we put on film today and we have an opportunity to do something about that next week.

Q: You went in for an IV in the first half. Anything specific happen?

A: I was just cramping, I have always had a history of cramping, low body fat and all that. I have been doing more than I ever have trying to stay on top of hydration when itís hot outside like that. I went in and got some fluids.

Q: Did that slow you down in the second half?

A: After you get the IV and fluids in, you are pretty good. Towards the end of the second quarter it starts to get at you. I tried to fight my way through it, but I just needed some fluids.

Q: You have talked a lot about your personal growth and dealing with it, was today the most difficult day?

A: Today was the day. I am happy where I stand. That same person in there that has that passion and intensity, the one that the camera has been on and has made some so-called mistakes by letting out whatís inside, thatís what has propelled me to be where Iím at, thatís what makes me great. To hold that in, to have to watch what you are doing because there is always a camera and you donít want this and that, itís tough to deal with. I am very happy with how far Iíve come with the growth that Iíve had. Itís frustrating to lose, I hate losing. We have an opportunity to do something about it next week.


I played QB for many years in a  
DC Gmen Fan : 9/30/2018 9:29 pm : link
high competition flag football league. Lots of ex-college studs, couple ex pro guys etc. I was essentially an Eli Manning - good QB but not mobile. My last couple years I had 2 stud WRs - big name ex-college guys. But I was playing against some beastly rushers (it was full blocking contact). After awhile I just could not buy myself enough time to get the ball to these guys and I could really start to sense their frustration, which permeated throughout the rest of the team. Zero confidence in me anymore. That's when I knew it was time to hang em up.

I fear OBJ will get to that point soon and, whether intentional or not, it will spill into the team.
"That's what makes me great."  
Go Terps : 9/30/2018 9:31 pm : link
That's funny.
RE:  
PetesHereNow : 9/30/2018 9:34 pm : link
In comment 14100474 Go Terps said:
Quote:
That's funny.


Would you want a WR who didn't think he was great? Holy nitpicking, Batman.
RE:  
BleedBlue : 9/30/2018 9:34 pm : link
In comment 14100474 Go Terps said:
Quote:
That's funny.


OBJ is special, its fine if you dont want to see it, but he is. he is frsutrated and i dont blame him, he knows Eli is in decline and he knows the OL is bad. a QB/OL/playcalling has this guy being target 10+
It's just funny  
Go Terps : 9/30/2018 9:42 pm : link
To hear a player who's done nothing but lose since he got to the NFL refer to himself as great... It's just really funny.
RE: It's just funny  
BleedBlue : 9/30/2018 9:44 pm : link
In comment 14100508 Go Terps said:
Quote:
To hear a player who's done nothing but lose since he got to the NFL refer to himself as great... It's just really funny.


terps, its a team game...losing happens when your team isnt good. imagine how unwatchable the giants would have been since he came into league if we didnt have him?!? he is the only WR threat that scares anybody the last few years. its a team game, many great players have never won anything....do you kill all of them too? OBJ cant make an impact if he cant get the ball, eli is declining and the OL sucks...again, team game...
RE: It's just funny  
PetesHereNow : 9/30/2018 9:44 pm : link
In comment 14100508 Go Terps said:
Quote:
To hear a player who's done nothing but lose since he got to the NFL refer to himself as great... It's just really funny.


And how the heck is this losing scenario his fault? It's not his fault that Reese completely botched the offensive line from about 2009 on.
RE: It's just funny  
McNally's_Nuts : 9/30/2018 9:48 pm : link
In comment 14100508 Go Terps said:
Quote:
To hear a player who's done nothing but lose since he got to the NFL refer to himself as great... It's just really funny.


You could say the same thing about Snacks who actively says he isnít a leader.
Not one question about him showing up his QB  
dep026 : 9/30/2018 9:49 pm : link
our beat reporters sucks ass.
RE: It's just funny  
B in ALB : 9/30/2018 9:50 pm : link
In comment 14100508 Go Terps said:
Quote:
To hear a player who's done nothing but lose since he got to the NFL refer to himself as great... It's just really funny.


Sorry Terps. But he is great. He's an absolute superstar in this league with clear talent over his peers. At that level, it makes him great. But it's a team sport. And when your team can't block, can't run, and can't scheme due to shortcomings, the last person you should be blaming is the #1 or #2 talent on your team.

What I'm questioning is the need for the IV. Unless he was sick this week - which doesn't seem to be the case - it's up to him to be hydrated starting with the completion of the Houston game and continuing. That shit is on him. His body is his moneymaker. Gatorload starting on Sunday afternoon, get sleep, salt a bit, drink, get tested by the training staff and be ready. It wasn't hot, it wasn't humid - it was the perfect condition for optimal performance.
RE: Not one question about him showing up his QB  
B in ALB : 9/30/2018 9:52 pm : link
In comment 14100534 dep026 said:
Quote:
our beat reporters sucks ass.


Showing up? If I were him, I'd be pissed off too. Those throws were terrible. And when he did complete them, Beckham was primed to get murdered by LBs. Again, not completely blaming Eli. But the playcalls were horrendous and predictable.
RE: It's just funny  
BigBlue4You09 : 9/30/2018 9:52 pm : link
In comment 14100508 Go Terps said:
Quote:
To hear a player who's done nothing but lose since he got to the NFL refer to himself as great... It's just really funny.


But he has won...a few games. Some single handidly. So did Dan Marino. But i guess he was a loser too because his team was never better to take him further. Your act is old.
RE: RE: Not one question about him showing up his QB  
dep026 : 9/30/2018 9:57 pm : link
In comment 14100548 B in ALB said:
Quote:
In comment 14100534 dep026 said:


Quote:


our beat reporters sucks ass.



Showing up? If I were him, I'd be pissed off too. Those throws were terrible. And when he did complete them, Beckham was primed to get murdered by LBs. Again, not completely blaming Eli. But the playcalls were horrendous and predictable.


You never ever show up a teammate. You're right..... Eli missed him bad twice. Theres no doubt about it. But it just shows mre team dysfunction.
The "showing up" a teammate bit  
B in ALB : 9/30/2018 10:04 pm : link
is such a cop-out, dep.

There would be fans who would complain if Beckham didn't show any emotion at all.

I'll take an emotional OBJ all day long. Eli is a big boy. He can handle it.
RE: The  
dep026 : 9/30/2018 10:07 pm : link
In comment 14100584 B in ALB said:
Quote:
is such a cop-out, dep.

There would be fans who would complain if Beckham didn't show any emotion at all.

I'll take an emotional OBJ all day long. Eli is a big boy. He can handle it.


Agree to disagree. I wouldnt want Eli calling out players after the game or point at fingers at someone during the game.
RE: RE: The  
B in ALB : 9/30/2018 10:10 pm : link
In comment 14100593 dep026 said:
Quote:
In comment 14100584 B in ALB said:


Quote:


is such a cop-out, dep.

There would be fans who would complain if Beckham didn't show any emotion at all.

I'll take an emotional OBJ all day long. Eli is a big boy. He can handle it.



Agree to disagree. I wouldnt want Eli calling out players after the game or point at fingers at someone during the game.


Eli has never called out players after the game. But he has DEFINITELY made gestures and yelled at receivers for mistakes.

Dep. Stop it. He's not flawless and he has absolutely called out players during games. We've all seen it with guys like Randle, Manningham, Hicks, etc.
Same people complaining that  
section125 : 9/30/2018 10:31 pm : link
Shurmur stays calm and doesn't show emotion, get pissed about the most emotional guy on the team (and the teams BEST player) getting upset.

And too bad about Eli. He has been missing open people for a few years but I have never seen him throw balls 15 feet over wide open receivers.

But yea, the needing an IV to stay hydrated is strange to me. He said his low body fat makes him susceptible to cramping. Just did a quick search and too low body fat can cause cramps. If so, the dietitians need to do a better job for him.
Or maybe  
NikkiMac : 10/1/2018 5:13 am : link
He partied to much after the win ......
He missed him on 2 big plays  
hitdog42 : 10/1/2018 5:45 am : link
That are very relevant to the outcome of the game for an offense stuck in the mud.
Just like against the jags. When you make the right playcall to get your best player open and itís pitch and catch you have to complete it- and somehow we canít do that - itís enough already- these are basic throws.
RE:  
English Alaister : 10/1/2018 5:57 am : link
In comment 14100474 Go Terps said:
Quote:
That's funny.


Oh good...we have a loss and we get the joy of being trolled by Terps and bw. That always makes it better.
His greatest moment  
K-Gun? Pop-Gun : 10/1/2018 6:01 am : link
Came in a loss to the cowboys.
RE: He missed him on 2 big plays  
dep026 : 10/1/2018 6:24 am : link
In comment 14100958 hitdog42 said:
Quote:
That are very relevant to the outcome of the game for an offense stuck in the mud.
Just like against the jags. When you make the right playcall to get your best player open and itís pitch and catch you have to complete it- and somehow we canít do that - itís enough already- these are basic throws.


I doubt two catches for that would have gone for 15 yards would have made a difference in the outcome of the game.

Great overreaction Batman.
RE: RE: He missed him on 2 big plays  
rocco8112 : 10/1/2018 7:06 am : link
In comment 14100968 dep026 said:
Quote:
In comment 14100958 hitdog42 said:


Quote:


That are very relevant to the outcome of the game for an offense stuck in the mud.
Just like against the jags. When you make the right playcall to get your best player open and itís pitch and catch you have to complete it- and somehow we canít do that - itís enough already- these are basic throws.



I doubt two catches for that would have gone for 15 yards would have made a difference in the outcome of the game.

Great overreaction Batman.


I tend to see it this way as well. I recall one horrible overthrow to Beckham along the right sideline on a comeback type route. It is difficult for me to draw the conclusion that missing this one play for about 15 18 yards caused this loss.

Again, he could take anything to the house, but this overthrow is way overblown.

Ask Beckham about the play he ran backwards and lost the team yards. That was one play too, did that cost the Giants the game?

OBJ  
bc4life : 10/1/2018 7:11 am : link
being great is debatable?
RE: OBJ  
Diver_Down : 10/1/2018 7:25 am : link
In comment 14101003 bc4life said:
Quote:
being great is debatable?


The great ones don't have to remind others how great they are. He has matured quite a bit since last year and he will continue to do so. He is a tremendous talent.
RE: RE:  
jcn56 : 10/1/2018 7:33 am : link
In comment 14100961 English Alaister said:
Quote:
In comment 14100474 Go Terps said:


Quote:


That's funny.



Oh good...we have a loss and we get the joy of being trolled by Terps and bw. That always makes it better.


They're at least realistic - being artificially positive and singing the praises of Saint Gettleman and the Touched By The Hand of God Players doesn't make it any better.
RE: RE: He missed him on 2 big plays  
hitdog42 : 10/1/2018 7:35 am : link
In comment 14100968 dep026 said:
Quote:
In comment 14100958 hitdog42 said:


Quote:


That are very relevant to the outcome of the game for an offense stuck in the mud.
Just like against the jags. When you make the right playcall to get your best player open and itís pitch and catch you have to complete it- and somehow we canít do that - itís enough already- these are basic throws.



I doubt two catches for that would have gone for 15 yards would have made a difference in the outcome of the game.

Great overreaction Batman.


sorry the longer one was not to OBJ-- the other one out to the right was to him.

you can't miss chunks of yardage on easy pitches and catches.
RE: Not one question about him showing up his QB  
jcn56 : 10/1/2018 7:36 am : link
In comment 14100534 dep026 said:
Quote:
our beat reporters sucks ass.


Has this been stated anywhere by any sort of reliable source? Or are we expecting these guys to ask questions based on body language on the sidelines?

So far, I've only seen rumors (by posters, not anyone in the media) that they had words, and that OBJ went to the locker room not for an IV but to cool off. If a beat writer asks that question without a real reason to do so, they're just stirring shit.
RE: RE: RE:  
English Alaister : 10/1/2018 9:08 am : link
In comment 14101032 jcn56 said:
Quote:
In comment 14100961 English Alaister said:


Quote:


In comment 14100474 Go Terps said:


Quote:


That's funny.



Oh good...we have a loss and we get the joy of being trolled by Terps and bw. That always makes it better.



They're at least realistic - being artificially positive and singing the praises of Saint Gettleman and the Touched By The Hand of God Players doesn't make it any better.


No they're not. You've been around long enough to know this act.

bw has done this for years. In 99/00 he trolled the heck out of this board (Occorsi, $trahan etc) and the org only for us to actually go to a Superbowl within 2 seasons and for him to disappear.

He then did the same to the Coughlin/Eli regime for years until they actually went to and won two superbowls whereby he disappears again only to show up again with the same jints central shizzle.

Terps is pretty much the same guy. Rags on any player making money, rarely offers a coherent alternative for a coherent roster, for $trahan see the Becky archive etc.

They're not realists...they are guys who enjoy being down on the team and because they are a broken record they will be right every so often and they will absolutely let you know when that is.

The nature of a salary capped league with 12 playoff teams is you'll have 20 teams that look like they're stupid year in year out. Apart from New England pretty much everyone does. These guys, and others, just play the law of averages.
Really donít think Odell was showing up anyone  
BBelle21 : 10/1/2018 10:20 am : link
Fair to think, the perfectionist and competitor he is, the cramping issue irritated him greatly. I think Odell is more angry with himself than anything.

Anyone who plays sports or is a runner knows how leg cramps can affect you. With a QB and receiver their timing had to have been compromised.

After he received the IV he looked noticeably calmer and playing within himself again. Unfortunately it was too late. But they will get it going. Odell is a good team mate
I'm lost..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 10/1/2018 10:26 am : link
trying to follow this bullshit anymore.

Quote:
It's just funny
Go Terps : 9/30/2018 9:42 pm : link : reply
To hear a player who's done nothing but lose since he got to the NFL refer to himself as great... It's just really funny.


Guy has the most receptions of any player in the history of the game his first few years and he's not great??

I half think Terps ideal situation would be to have every player on a rookie contract and by $80M under the cap.

He'd trade any player nearing a payday and even when a guy is generational, he'll claim that the best strategy is addition by subtraction.

If anyone doesn't think Beckham is a great player, they either are biased to the point of being delusional or they are a complete and utter imbecile. There's really no other option.
Fluid replacement  
ctc in ftmyers : 10/1/2018 11:15 am : link
is common in warm temperature high stress environments.

Here in Florida when fighting a structure fire in the summertime, firefighters going in the back of the ambulance to get IV fluids is a common practice.
Seriously, what the fuck.  
KerrysFlask : 10/1/2018 8:16 pm : link
They are incapable of beating cover 2 with both McAdoo last year and now again according to schurmur.

Now we can't beat zone, period?

That it?

Why the hell would anyone play anything else?

These guys are inept.
Odell isn't great?  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 10/1/2018 8:24 pm : link
JFC.

So Barry Sanders wasn't great because he was on a garbage team?

GoTerps is overall a good poster, but his Odell stuff is garbage.
.  
Go Terps : 10/1/2018 8:26 pm : link
Find me a quote where Barry Sanders or Dan Marino called themselves great after a loss, and also said it's a team game and everyone's got to pull together.

If you don't see it coming I don't know what to tell you.
.  
arcarsenal : 10/1/2018 9:01 pm : link
Oy vey.
RE: RE: RE: RE:  
jcn56 : 10/1/2018 9:09 pm : link
In comment 14101210 English Alaister said:
Quote:
In comment 14101032 jcn56 said:


Quote:


In comment 14100961 English Alaister said:


Quote:


In comment 14100474 Go Terps said:


Quote:


That's funny.



Oh good...we have a loss and we get the joy of being trolled by Terps and bw. That always makes it better.



They're at least realistic - being artificially positive and singing the praises of Saint Gettleman and the Touched By The Hand of God Players doesn't make it any better.



No they're not. You've been around long enough to know this act.

bw has done this for years. In 99/00 he trolled the heck out of this board (Occorsi, $trahan etc) and the org only for us to actually go to a Superbowl within 2 seasons and for him to disappear.

He then did the same to the Coughlin/Eli regime for years until they actually went to and won two superbowls whereby he disappears again only to show up again with the same jints central shizzle.

Terps is pretty much the same guy. Rags on any player making money, rarely offers a coherent alternative for a coherent roster, for $trahan see the Becky archive etc.

They're not realists...they are guys who enjoy being down on the team and because they are a broken record they will be right every so often and they will absolutely let you know when that is.

The nature of a salary capped league with 12 playoff teams is you'll have 20 teams that look like they're stupid year in year out. Apart from New England pretty much everyone does. These guys, and others, just play the law of averages.


I don't know enough about bw, a lot of that was before my time. I can say this about Terps - he's no troll. I don't agree with him on his treatment of certain players, but he's been right a lot more than he's been wrong with his assessment of the team.

As for 20 of 32 teams looking stupid year in, year out - that sounds like a good attempt at whitewashing our current position. The Giants have been bad for 6 out of 7 years, and it looks like we're going to make it 7 out of 8. That's bad, and we desperately needed change this past offseason and didn't really get it (aside from churning the bottom of the roster and trading JPP).
...  
christian : 10/1/2018 9:56 pm : link
The notion only the Patriots have figured out how to succeed in the modern in NFL is silly. The Patriots, Steelers, Broncos, Packers, and Ravens have all won championships and posted 2 or fewer losing seasons in the last 10 years. The Seahawks have been won and been to another Super Bowl and have 6 straight winning seasons.
Back to the Corner