Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Schadenfreude Post: If you were the Jets

sb from NYT Forum : 11/12/2018 2:17 pm
...would you fire Bowles now?

It seems to me that he's lost the team. Not surprising when last week against Miami the Jets defense played their hearts out, only giving up 13 points and then after the game Bowles says they were partially responsible for the loss because they didn't get any turnovers (?!?)

Quote:
Question: Your defense held them without a touchdown, played well enough to win. That was a bright spot for you, your defense?

TODD BOWLES: Still got to get turnovers. You don't play well when you lose ball games, so we got to get turnovers and do a little more.


Why would they play hard for this guy when he undeservedly throws them under the bus after the game?
I don't think it matters either way  
arniefez : 11/12/2018 2:18 pm : link
now? at the end of season? after 14 games? All the same.
I would have fired him last year.  
Tom from LI : 11/12/2018 2:19 pm : link
Start fresh with your new QB...
If they were going to fire  
Bubba : 11/12/2018 2:21 pm : link
him now would be the time with their bye week. However there is no one in the building with any HC experience. We at least had Spags last year.
I'd start by firing whoever thought it ws a good idea  
Section331 : 11/12/2018 2:23 pm : link
to hire Jeremy Bates as OC.
It's the jets  
ThatLimerickGuy : 11/12/2018 2:26 pm : link
There are some teams that don't win Super Bowls but go through competitive stretches and then there are teams that just don't get it. The jets are the latter. Even those Rex Ryan Sanchez Jets were never areal threat to win it.

The org needs to fold, move, rebrand or something.
Maccagnan brought Bowles in,  
ColHowPepper : 11/12/2018 2:30 pm : link
his first hire, a big one, so this is an acknowledgment of a failed hire on his part. It's tough, and by all accounts Bowles is a very good guy, which doesn't make it any easier.

In spite of a decent record in his drafts, the Jets haven't sustained any improvement since Maccagnan's came on board. Big moment for the franchise.
he should've been fired this past offseason  
giants#1 : 11/12/2018 2:44 pm : link
Once it became clear they were going to draft a QB, they needed to do everything possible to get a staff in place that could develop the QB. Bowles was never that guy.

As for doing it now...no real point to in-season firings unless there's a hot college coach that you'd be free to interview as soon as their season wraps up. Not going to be able to interview NFL coordinators or HCs at this point.
MCADOO!  
Big Blue '56 : 11/12/2018 2:53 pm : link
.
They should get a new coach in  
Oscar : 11/12/2018 3:02 pm : link
Right hire it could be a short, enduring turnaround. Darnold in place already. Hes taking his lumps this year but I think any coach would jump at the chance to take over a team with a 21 year old QB of the future, high draft pick and major salary cap space.

Fun to laugh at them after yesterday but they are in a much better spot than the Giants IMO.
I think they should fire Bowles now  
micky : 11/12/2018 3:08 pm : link
And name McAdoo as hc
Giants fans  
lawguy9801 : 11/12/2018 3:09 pm : link
have no right to look down their noses at the misfortunes of any other team.
That job is a cluster f-ck...  
bw in dc : 11/12/2018 3:11 pm : link
Bowles has been dealt a rather poor hand. Maccagnan is the person who should be on the hot seat more than Bowles.

RE: They should get a new coach in  
Deejboy : 11/12/2018 3:46 pm : link
In comment 14172974 Oscar said:
Quote:
Right hire it could be a short, enduring turnaround. Darnold in place already. Hes taking his lumps this year but I think any coach would jump at the chance to take over a team with a 21 year old QB of the future, high draft pick and major salary cap space.

Fun to laugh at them after yesterday but they are in a much better spot than the Giants IMO.

Because you believe in Darnold. DG didn't. What if Darnold doesn't develop? Or he even worse he is pretty much the same gunslinger turnover prone guy he was in USC? There is zero guarantee he will be a good player. Then the Jets are in a much worse position than the Giants. Cause at least the Giants aren't tied to a mediocre player at QB for the next 5-10 years. They might end up with the better player at QB. Just because you draft a young QB doesn't mean he is going to turn into a good player. Herbert or Grier might end up a much better QB than anyone in 2018. They might be worse. We don't know. He might be a guy you will have to be sitting like Jameis Winston, Bortles, or David Carr in a few years. DG wanted to get it right and didn't feel any of the QBs in 2018 were right.
RE: Maccagnan brought Bowles in,  
gmenatlarge : 11/12/2018 3:52 pm : link
In comment 14172925 ColHowPepper said:
Quote:
his first hire, a big one, so this is an acknowledgment of a failed hire on his part. It's tough, and by all accounts Bowles is a very good guy, which doesn't make it any easier.

In spite of a decent record in his drafts, the Jets haven't sustained any improvement since Maccagnan's came on board. Big moment for the franchise.
v

I dont believe Maccagnan brought Bowles in, they were hired at the same time. They were talking about whether Mac could finally bring in his own guy on the FAN.
Maybe Charlie Casserly can arrange  
bceagle05 : 11/12/2018 3:57 pm : link
another GM/HC marriage for the Johnson family.
RE: Maccagnan brought Bowles in,  
Joey from GlenCove : 11/12/2018 4:00 pm : link
In comment 14172925 ColHowPepper said:
Quote:
his first hire, a big one, so this is an acknowledgment of a failed hire on his part. It's tough, and by all accounts Bowles is a very good guy, which doesn't make it any easier.

In spite of a decent record in his drafts, the Jets haven't sustained any improvement since Maccagnan's came on board. Big moment for the franchise.


this is wrong. they were hired at the same time.
RE: I would have fired him last year.  
djm : 11/12/2018 5:28 pm : link
In comment 14172906 Tom from LI said:
Quote:
Start fresh with your new QB...


Bingo. And why do I get the feeling were gonna be in the same shitty boat this time next season.
RE: RE: They should get a new coach in  
djm : 11/12/2018 5:30 pm : link
In comment 14173044 Deejboy said:
Quote:
In comment 14172974 Oscar said:


Quote:


Right hire it could be a short, enduring turnaround. Darnold in place already. Hes taking his lumps this year but I think any coach would jump at the chance to take over a team with a 21 year old QB of the future, high draft pick and major salary cap space.

Fun to laugh at them after yesterday but they are in a much better spot than the Giants IMO.


Because you believe in Darnold. DG didn't. What if Darnold doesn't develop? Or he even worse he is pretty much the same gunslinger turnover prone guy he was in USC? There is zero guarantee he will be a good player. Then the Jets are in a much worse position than the Giants. Cause at least the Giants aren't tied to a mediocre player at QB for the next 5-10 years. They might end up with the better player at QB. Just because you draft a young QB doesn't mean he is going to turn into a good player. Herbert or Grier might end up a much better QB than anyone in 2018. They might be worse. We don't know. He might be a guy you will have to be sitting like Jameis Winston, Bortles, or David Carr in a few years. DG wanted to get it right and didn't feel any of the QBs in 2018 were right.



But but but but rbs have a short shelf life and we blew it by not drafting a qb in a qb rich draft! Dont ya know?

The ONE thing the giants did right was draft Barkley.
RE: RE: They should get a new coach in  
Jay on the Island : 11/12/2018 5:55 pm : link
In comment 14173044 Deejboy said:
Quote:
In comment 14172974 Oscar said:


Quote:


Right hire it could be a short, enduring turnaround. Darnold in place already. Hes taking his lumps this year but I think any coach would jump at the chance to take over a team with a 21 year old QB of the future, high draft pick and major salary cap space.

Fun to laugh at them after yesterday but they are in a much better spot than the Giants IMO.


Because you believe in Darnold. DG didn't. What if Darnold doesn't develop? Or he even worse he is pretty much the same gunslinger turnover prone guy he was in USC? There is zero guarantee he will be a good player. Then the Jets are in a much worse position than the Giants. Cause at least the Giants aren't tied to a mediocre player at QB for the next 5-10 years. They might end up with the better player at QB. Just because you draft a young QB doesn't mean he is going to turn into a good player. Herbert or Grier might end up a much better QB than anyone in 2018. They might be worse. We don't know. He might be a guy you will have to be sitting like Jameis Winston, Bortles, or David Carr in a few years. DG wanted to get it right and didn't feel any of the QBs in 2018 were right.

Well said Deej. People forget that Aaron Rodgers was the 24th pick in the draft. Now he is on his way to the HOF and arguably the best QB in football. The 2005 draft was considered a weak QB draft just like the 2019 draft. It also followed the 2004 draft that gave us Eli, Rivers, and Roethlisberger one of the best QB drafts in history. The Goff/Wentz draft and the Trubisky/Mahomes/Watson drafts were considered weak QB drafts as well. The truth is that we have no idea how these QB's will develop. For all we know Justin Herbert could be the next Rodgers or he could be the next Blaine Gabbert.
A rookie franchise QB  
UESBLUE : 11/12/2018 6:17 pm : link
doesnt need that kind of chaos. Wait till seasons over.
A lot of people are saying that DG isn't a good judge of talent.  
Ira : 11/12/2018 6:25 pm : link
He did make mistakes in free agency, but on one of the most important draft decisions any Giants gm had to make - whether to draft Barkley or Darnold (or one of the other qb's) he made the right move.
what would be the point  
Banks : 11/12/2018 6:26 pm : link
to further make the point to him that he sucks? Firing him isn't going to lead to a playoff run. There isn't an up and coming coordinator that the team feels can take the reins. Unless he has completely lost the locker room, it'd be firing him for the sake for firing him imo. They can wait til Black Monday.
RE: Giants fans  
LakeGeorgeGiant : 11/12/2018 6:44 pm : link
In comment 14172990 lawguy9801 said:
Quote:
have no right to look down their noses at the misfortunes of any other team.


There are only 4 clubs with more Lombardis than the Giants.
RE: MCADOO!  
clatterbuck : 11/13/2018 12:03 am : link
In comment 14172964 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
.

Ha!
Back to the Corner