Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Terps hiring Mike Locksley, Bama OC,

tony stg : 12/4/2018 8:02 pm
as head coach, per ESPN.
Link  
tony stg : 12/4/2018 8:05 pm : link
.
Link - ( New Window )
.  
arcarsenal : 12/4/2018 8:14 pm : link
Another year, another OC gone.

I hated Daboll so I didn't care about that. They'll survive Locksley leaving - good for him. His job was pretty easy with a QB that can actually throw and all of DaVante Smith, Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, Jaylen Waddle, the Harris' and Josh Jacobs.

I'm sure whoever takes his spot will be fine.
Locks needs  
Pete in MD : 12/4/2018 8:24 pm : link
good coordinaters to be successful but the local kids love him. He shows up in Patterson Park at an SFA game and everyone looks at him like heís a god. People are drawn to him.
Is Jalen Hurts coming  
Pete in MD : 12/4/2018 8:31 pm : link
with?
RE: .  
bw in dc : 12/4/2018 8:37 pm : link
In comment 14205950 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
Another year, another OC gone.

I hated Daboll so I didn't care about that. They'll survive Locksley leaving - good for him. His job was pretty easy with a QB that can actually throw and all of DaVante Smith, Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, Jaylen Waddle, the Harris' and Josh Jacobs.

I'm sure whoever takes his spot will be fine.


I'm hearing McCarthy to replace him... ;)
Locksley  
Kevin in CT : 12/4/2018 8:39 pm : link
Was a complete and utter failure as a head coach at New Mexico. Itíll be interesting to see how he fares his second time around as the head of a FBS program.
Are they also doing the right thing  
B in ALB : 12/4/2018 8:41 pm : link
And firing the president and ad?

Or are we all supposed to just forget that they let a 19 year old kid die under their watch?
They fired most of the coaching  
Pete in MD : 12/4/2018 8:48 pm : link
and training staff. The Unversity President precides over much more than the football team. I would have personally fired the AD too.
RE: They fired most of the coaching  
B in ALB : 12/4/2018 8:54 pm : link
In comment 14205968 Pete in MD said:
Quote:
and training staff. The Unversity President precides over much more than the football team. I would have personally fired the AD too.


Wait. What? A kid DIED under their watch. In JUNE! And both of those scumbags are still employed, right!?
Didn't Loh hire a commission  
B in ALB : 12/4/2018 9:07 pm : link
comprised mainly of UM grads and supporters to "investigate" the incident? One of them was a personal consultant to Loh and another was a brother of a huge booster for the school.

This isn't the first student who died on his campus, btw.

And didn't he say that this kind of thing "occurs in every football program" and the difference between abusive and overly aggressive training is "impresise?"

How the fuck would he know?

Great program they're running down there in College Park. You guys should be really proud.
RE: Didn't Loh hire a commission  
Pete in MD : 12/4/2018 9:22 pm : link
In comment 14205973 B in ALB said:
Quote:
comprised mainly of UM grads and supporters to "investigate" the incident? One of them was a personal consultant to Loh and another was a brother of a huge booster for the school.

This isn't the first student who died on his campus, btw.

And didn't he say that this kind of thing "occurs in every football program" and the difference between abusive and overly aggressive training is "impresise?"

How the fuck would he know?

Great program they're running down there in College Park. You guys should be really proud.

They can both be gone for all I care but the two independent investigations found the university at fault and Loh did take full credit for what happened. The Board of Regents wanted to keep Durkin and Loh personally fired him. Evans does nothing of note from what I can tell. Itís all a big CF. I give Loh some credit for taking responsibility but donít care about his future either way.
Idk, Pete  
B in ALB : 12/4/2018 9:27 pm : link
seems to me that everyone needed to be removed. Between the horrific way the staff handled McNair's condition from the jump to the absurd and fake "commission" hired to investigate this stuff - it couldn't have been handled any worse.

If my University handled this atrocity like this I would no longer have any ties to it including the thousands I contribute every year during Boost Cuse or another fund raiser to the support of its sports programs via attendance to the goodwill recommendations I pass along to potential students. No fucking way.
RE: Idk, Pete  
Go Terps : 12/4/2018 9:38 pm : link
In comment 14205984 B in ALB said:
Quote:
seems to me that everyone needed to be removed. Between the horrific way the staff handled McNair's condition from the jump to the absurd and fake "commission" hired to investigate this stuff - it couldn't have been handled any worse.

If my University handled this atrocity like this I would no longer have any ties to it including the thousands I contribute every year during Boost Cuse or another fund raiser to the support of its sports programs via attendance to the goodwill recommendations I pass along to potential students. No fucking way.


I agree, though Maryland won't care as I never did or would have given them money anyway. I think the undergrad and graduate tuition was enough. Better shit to spend my money on, like FIFA or Starbucks. I actually get something for that.
Do you not  
Pete in MD : 12/4/2018 9:39 pm : link
give any money to the Syracuse basketball program anymore? Because they had Jerry Sandusky-Light protected up there for a while.
And aside from going  
Pete in MD : 12/4/2018 9:42 pm : link
to a game once or twice a year, I donít give them money. I never have. I donít believe in the need to subsidize pretty lucrative operation.
RE: Do you not  
B in ALB : 12/4/2018 9:44 pm : link
In comment 14206003 Pete in MD said:
Quote:
give any money to the Syracuse basketball program anymore? Because they had Jerry Sandusky-Light protected up there for a while.


Yeah, except that wasn't true at all and the coach's wife had a consensual relationship with the "ball boy" when they were both adults. Bernie Fine was a "cuck" - not a child molester. Get your facts straight before making crazy comparisons to Pedo State.
None of it was true?  
Pete in MD : 12/4/2018 9:50 pm : link
Ok, multiple people all lied about it...or were they paid off?
RE: None of it was true?  
B in ALB : 12/4/2018 9:52 pm : link
In comment 14206028 Pete in MD said:
Quote:
Ok, multiple people all lied about it...or were they paid off?


Multiple people? All of the accusers were found to be not credible and there were audio tapes and witnesses to back it all up. I'm not understanding your question, Pete.
to bad for him  
mdc1 : 12/4/2018 10:02 pm : link
I guess he finds out UMD is not committed to sports. Good luck dude.
RE: RE: None of it was true?  
Pete in MD : 12/4/2018 10:11 pm : link
In comment 14206033 B in ALB said:
Quote:
In comment 14206028 Pete in MD said:


Quote:


Ok, multiple people all lied about it...or were they paid off?



Multiple people? All of the accusers were found to be not credible and there were audio tapes and witnesses to back it all up. I'm not understanding your question, Pete.

I donít honestly remember but he had up to four accusers who all miraculously recanted. Who is Brenie Fine for four kids to accuse him of wrongdoing? Nobody wanted Jordan McNair to die. A lot of people fucked up but I shouldnít care about the University because of a tragedy? Donít be so high and mighty. And once again, itís not like Iím Kevin Plank. I go to one or two games a year and I donít give a fuck if that bothers you or not.
I'm just shocked Evans is still here  
Bobby Humphrey's Earpad : 12/4/2018 10:26 pm : link
and was allowed to "make" this hire. Loh we know what the deal is.

I am divided over this hire because it reeks of short-term desperation. Locksley has shown he is an amazing recruiter and while he did well with Alabama's offense, it was like winning the lottery for Locks.

I guess the floor for this hire is three years of fantastic recruiting classes and mediocre results, followed by another hire getting the benefits ala Friedgen from Vanderlinden.
RE: RE: RE: None of it was true?  
B in ALB : 12/4/2018 10:30 pm : link
In comment 14206067 Pete in MD said:
Quote:
In comment 14206033 B in ALB said:


Quote:


In comment 14206028 Pete in MD said:


Quote:


Ok, multiple people all lied about it...or were they paid off?



Multiple people? All of the accusers were found to be not credible and there were audio tapes and witnesses to back it all up. I'm not understanding your question, Pete.


I donít honestly remember but he had up to four accusers who all miraculously recanted. Who is Brenie Fine for four kids to accuse him of wrongdoing? Nobody wanted Jordan McNair to die. A lot of people fucked up but I shouldnít care about the University because of a tragedy? Donít be so high and mighty. And once again, itís not like Iím Kevin Plank. I go to one or two games a year and I donít give a fuck if that bothers you or not.


Pete. I get having allegiance to your university. No doubt, you love the school and classmates and time together.

But from experience, playing D1 football - I witnessed many teammates from July thru the end of August require medical attention after workouts.

Whether it was the 16 X 110 test by position or any other test to get us ready for that, our training staff and coaches were hyper-vigilant to make sure we were OK.

And if we didn't make the test, we were treated in the room and we tested the next morning at 6am until you made it.

I can tell you that my first test was a failure at Cuse as a freshman and I could not walk or see properly at the time. It was over 90 degrees, humid on the old school turf we ran it on at Manley and I wasn't ready. Admittedly.

I collapsed against a fence at around 13 and could not recover. I asked to run with the skill guys because I wanted to play my freshman year and I was trying to prove myself at 17. I couldn't make the time. The trainers got me up and out of the heat. They immediately iced my entire body, hooked up a drip and I was ready to complete the exercise the next morning so I could practice. (I ran with the DL as I should have)

What I can tell you is that those people might have saved me from serious damage. They did their jobs like pros and the coaching staff allowed them to do so.

So yeah, this tragedy bothers me. It makes me sick for his parents and friends and teammates. And yes, I'm going to have a problem with virtually everything the university has done considering what's happened over the last six months.

That kid should be alive. And no sport is worth his life.
It makes sense  
Pete in MD : 12/4/2018 10:34 pm : link
to be pessimistic but Locksley has a precence with the local kids. Iíve been going to St Frances games in Patterson Park and when Locks shows up there is a different vibe.
RE: Locks needs  
Stu11 : 12/4/2018 11:47 pm : link
In comment 14205955 Pete in MD said:
Quote:
good coordinaters to be successful but the local kids love him. He shows up in Patterson Park at an SFA game and everyone looks at him like heís a god. People are drawn to him.

Yep as you well know we lost Haskins to Ohio State when Locksley left. I'm mixed on the hiring. Nothing in his brief HC history presents any success at all. He is a great recruiter. Frankly I was impressed enough with Canada to give him the job. He wins the Ohio State game I don't think we are having this conversation. Well see. Honestly recruiting hasn't been the problem. Our underclassmen RBs/WR rival anyone in the conference raw talent wise.
RE: Locksley  
Jeffrey : 12/5/2018 7:45 am : link
In comment 14205960 Kevin in CT said:
Quote:
Was a complete and utter failure as a head coach at New Mexico. Itíll be interesting to see how he fares his second time around as the head of a FBS program.


He recruited talent well at New Mexico but many of them were head cases and major problems. Program imploded and only in recent years has it shown signs of life. Locksley never engaged in the community.
Crap  
dep026 : 12/5/2018 7:51 am : link
I wanted them to take Pep Hamilton.
A recruiter with a shady past  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 12/5/2018 8:28 am : link
and a 3-31 record as a head coach.

This really isn't an odd hire for UMD given their past. Just history repeating itself. Followed by them floundering in mediocrity and just hoarding conference monies.
RE: Crap  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 12/5/2018 8:37 am : link
In comment 14206194 dep026 said:
Quote:
I wanted them to take Pep Hamilton.


You think Pep can evolve his offense because it's really old school, and I think it's what is holding Michigan back a bit.

I think Pep would make a good head coach. He would need to get some good coordinators around him.
Actually Maryland's past since Bobby Ross has been  
Bobby Humphrey's Earpad : 12/5/2018 9:12 am : link
to hire a somewhat well-regarded assistant, Duffner being the exception.

There's a lot of baggage with Locksley, but if he can get a good OC (AAR has to be promoted to DC for him to stay), they have a shot just based on talent alone. Provided Locks doesn't punch someone.
Deadspin has an interesting take  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 12/5/2018 9:22 am : link
.
Mike Locksley's Questionable Coaching Past Makes Him An Odd Hire For Maryland - ( New Window )
RE: Actually Maryland's past since Bobby Ross has been  
Pete in MD : 12/5/2018 10:04 am : link
In comment 14206251 Bobby Humphrey's Earpad said:
Quote:
to hire a somewhat well-regarded assistant, Duffner being the exception.

There's a lot of baggage with Locksley, but if he can get a good OC (AAR has to be promoted to DC for him to stay), they have a shot just based on talent alone. Provided Locks doesn't punch someone.

Iím hearing former Maryland player and current Jetsí DB coach Dennard Wilson is the top choice for defensive coordinator. Hopefully, they can find a way to keep AAR and Beatty.

Interesting about Duffner. Obviously, he didnít succeed at Maryland but he must be well-liked in the coaching world. Heís been steadily employed in the NFL for the last 20+ years.
RE: RE: Actually Maryland's past since Bobby Ross has been  
Bobby Humphrey's Earpad : 12/5/2018 12:47 pm : link
In comment 14206359 Pete in MD said:
Quote:
In comment 14206251 Bobby Humphrey's Earpad said:


Quote:


to hire a somewhat well-regarded assistant, Duffner being the exception.

There's a lot of baggage with Locksley, but if he can get a good OC (AAR has to be promoted to DC for him to stay), they have a shot just based on talent alone. Provided Locks doesn't punch someone.


Iím hearing former Maryland player and current Jetsí DB coach Dennard Wilson is the top choice for defensive coordinator. Hopefully, they can find a way to keep AAR and Beatty.

Interesting about Duffner. Obviously, he didnít succeed at Maryland but he must be well-liked in the coaching world. Heís been steadily employed in the NFL for the last 20+ years.


If they don't keep AAR it's a huge loss - I don't care how good Locksley is.
there's a longtime Terp fan poster at the UVA site I post on  
Greg from LI : 12/5/2018 12:58 pm : link
He had this to say as the reasons for the hire:

Quote:
These are not my opinions but some of the reasons many were campaigning for Locksley.
1) The DMV Coaching fraternity campaigned heavily for Locksley. Many pointed out this would heal the "Cold War" Maryland faced on the heels of the Jordan McNair Tragedy. Likewise many former players campaigned that he was the right fit and could help with healing in the Community.
Locksley is friendly with Bub Carrington who trains many of the Div 1 Baltimore HS Prospects and Bub is best friends with Jordan McNairs Father. Again a healing situation in the Baltimore Community.
2) Heavy campaigning by many of the former players that knew Locksley and endorsed him as the right fit
3) Recruiting- He is beloved by all the Football Powerhouse coaches in the DMV. Also has strong recruiting chops in the South East . Shawn Merriman, Stefon Diggs and many others were his recruits at Maryland and yes Dwayne Haskins was his commit at Maryland and bolted when Locksley did not get the job. Maryland would have been dead in the water recruiting for a few years had they hired Matt Canada or Pep Hamilton.
4) His work at Alabama where he quickly moved up to OC and won the Broyles Award today and the strong recommendations from those at Alabama .
5) We all know the negatives about the 3 years ar New Mexico but many now believe and hope he has resurrected his career given his work at Alabama and the endorsement from Saban and the Players and Staff at Alabama.
6) Matt Canada,and Pep Hamilton would not have moved the needle in recruiting and captured the level of support Locksley has the DMV right now.
7) Maryland had splintered it's relationship with most of the Top Boosters including Kevin Plank because of DR Loh and all the other Crap. All weighed in that they were back on board if Locksley was the choice and would throw their full support back into the Program.
So the hope is he has grown since New Mexico and being home with all the support prove he can win as a Head Coach. We know he can recruit and he will.
Now that the HC hire is out of the way  
Stu11 : 12/5/2018 8:25 pm : link
I really think Piggy is the front runner as starter at QB next year. I was really impressed with him down the stretch obviously excluding the Penn State game. He improved a lot as a thrower and was more than just an option running QB. He definitely threw it better than Hill.
Jalen Hurts  
Pete in MD : 12/5/2018 10:29 pm : link
will be starting next year. (I donít really know, but thereís some asshat talk about it.)
RE: Jalen Hurts  
Stu11 : 12/6/2018 8:26 am : link
In comment 14207127 Pete in MD said:
Quote:
will be starting next year. (I donít really know, but thereís some asshat talk about it.)

Yea I've heard that but I'll believe it when I see it. If you get a dynamic QB in there that could be one godamn dynamic offense with the skill they have at WR/RB.
Back to the Corner