Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

NFT: Realmuto to the Mets gaining traction?

ZGiants98 : 12/4/2018 9:36 pm
Joel Sherman
& #10004;
@Joelsherman1
#Mets have indeed talked to #Marlins about Realmuto and are seriously considering Nimmo as a centerpiece. Nothing is considered imminent as Miami has suitors for Realmuto.

I WILL be sick if we trade Nimmo for Realmuto and I LOVE Realmuto.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 <<Prev | Show All |
Yeah  
DanMetroMan : 12/6/2018 10:35 am : link
a lineup with Lagares/Hamilton and Plawecki/Lucroy is likely going to be quite bad.
I would strongly consider moving Rosario to CF  
debo_GIANTS : 12/6/2018 12:13 pm : link
if his defense doesn't improve this year. Assuming Gimenez would be ready for the big leagues by then, he would fill the hole at SS in 2020.

This in addition to his injury history is why I would stay away from signing Pollock to a long term deal.

I like the idea of signing Cutch to a 2 year deal to play one of the corner OF spots. He is a right handed bat that will help balance out the lineup. I can live with Nimmo/Lagares in CF in 2019.
Unusually  
DanMetroMan : 12/6/2018 12:41 pm : link
weak Mets prospect chat from BA, almost nothinng new
Link - ( New Window )
Do  
mitch300 : 12/6/2018 12:51 pm : link
you guys think with BVW as GM he maybe able to convince the Wilpons to deal with the Yankees if it benefits them?
RE: Do  
Metnut : 12/6/2018 12:53 pm : link
In comment 14207548 mitch300 said:
Quote:
you guys think with BVW as GM he maybe able to convince the Wilpons to deal with the Yankees if it benefits them?


Honestly, I feel like the Yankees win 90% of the trades they do so I don't really want any part of dealing with them.
RE: RE: Do  
Metnut : 12/6/2018 12:54 pm : link
In comment 14207557 Metnut said:
Quote:
In comment 14207548 mitch300 said:


Quote:


you guys think with BVW as GM he maybe able to convince the Wilpons to deal with the Yankees if it benefits them?



Honestly, I feel like the Yankees win 90% of the trades they do so I don't really want any part of dealing with them.


But yea, if there's another situation where we're out of the race and we end up taking less for Neil Walker or Lucas Duda or someone like that to avoid dealing with the Yankees, I hope BVW can just take the best deal.
RE: RE: RE: Do  
mitch300 : 12/6/2018 12:56 pm : link
In comment 14207558 Metnut said:
Quote:
In comment 14207557 Metnut said:


Quote:


In comment 14207548 mitch300 said:


Quote:


you guys think with BVW as GM he maybe able to convince the Wilpons to deal with the Yankees if it benefits them?



Honestly, I feel like the Yankees win 90% of the trades they do so I don't really want any part of dealing with them.



But yea, if there's another situation where we're out of the race and we end up taking less for Neil Walker or Lucas Duda or someone like that to avoid dealing with the Yankees, I hope BVW can just take the best deal.


Yeah, that was my point. I believe they could have possibly got more for Duda or maybe it was bruce in 2017.
DMM - would you sign for the following right now  
Eric on Li : 12/6/2018 1:57 pm : link
CF - Hamilton (1 year)
C - Cervelli for Dom (Vargas back the other way to offset some $)
RP - Miller (3 years)
RP - 1 year vet mid reliever like brach
SP - Gio (2 years)

IMO that's the bare minimum and from the way they're talking I'd guess they'll end up doing better than that. Pollock is the obvious upgrade but he probably adds $10m this year + 2-3 extra years (and lose draft pick). Not sure he's worth the risk, especially if they have any confidence that Cespedes could actually come back 2nd half.
RE: DMM - would you sign for the following right now  
DanMetroMan : 12/6/2018 2:06 pm : link
In comment 14207669 Eric on Li said:
Quote:
CF - Hamilton (1 year)
C - Cervelli for Dom (Vargas back the other way to offset some $)
RP - Miller (3 years)
RP - 1 year vet mid reliever like brach
SP - Gio (2 years)

IMO that's the bare minimum and from the way they're talking I'd guess they'll end up doing better than that. Pollock is the obvious upgrade but he probably adds $10m this year + 2-3 extra years (and lose draft pick). Not sure he's worth the risk, especially if they have any confidence that Cespedes could actually come back 2nd half.


Yeah I would but I could see the offense potentially struggling quite a bit. Also it looks like Hamilton may sign quickly (Royals have already spoken to him) so I'm not sure he's even going to be an option. Really like Cervelli.
Michael Mayer posted this  
DanMetroMan : 12/6/2018 2:07 pm : link

Realmuto .279/.327/.442, 99 DRC+, 12 BWARP in 540 games

Grandal .240/.341/.441, 110 DRC+, 28.1/726

Ramos ,273/.317/.437, 102 DRC+, 19.7/760

Cervelli .273/.362/.383, 100 DRC+, 15.9/666
A lineup of:  
Metnut : 12/6/2018 2:55 pm : link
Nimmo (Corner OF)
McNiel (3B)
Conforto (Corner Of)
Cano (2B)
Alonso (1B)
Grandal/Ramos/Cervelli (C)
Rosario (SS)
Lagares/Hamilton (CF)

Seems good enough to me. There's also room to improve it if Cespedes come back or at the trading deadline. Improving the OF defense will save some of the runs that we give back in the 8 hole. I guess Frazier will probably be in there a bit too, especially if Mets play service time with Alonso.
RE: Michael Mayer posted this  
Eric on Li : 12/6/2018 4:32 pm : link
In comment 14207680 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:

Realmuto .279/.327/.442, 99 DRC+, 12 BWARP in 540 games

Grandal .240/.341/.441, 110 DRC+, 28.1/726

Ramos ,273/.317/.437, 102 DRC+, 19.7/760

Cervelli .273/.362/.383, 100 DRC+, 15.9/666


I'm not shocked to see Grandal do better in DRC+, it seems to value HR hitters and lower the value on more contact oriented hitters. Haven't fully absorbed the entire methodology yet but initially it seems to boost the types of hitters I generally don't love. On the leaderboard of players whose rankings dropped the most from their OPS rank to their DRC+ rank were Cain, Cano, Yelich (3x), Jacque Jones. Even Machado one season. Meanwhile on the flip side the guys who got helped by it were Brian McCann, Alfonzo (oddly 2 of his SF seasons), Ricky Henderson in all years he hit .240 or less, Mcgwire + Texeira in years they were around .200.
RE: A lineup of:  
Eric on Li : 12/6/2018 4:35 pm : link
In comment 14207717 Metnut said:
Quote:
Nimmo (Corner OF)
McNiel (3B)
Conforto (Corner Of)
Cano (2B)
Alonso (1B)
Grandal/Ramos/Cervelli (C)
Rosario (SS)
Lagares/Hamilton (CF)

Seems good enough to me. There's also room to improve it if Cespedes come back or at the trading deadline. Improving the OF defense will save some of the runs that we give back in the 8 hole. I guess Frazier will probably be in there a bit too, especially if Mets play service time with Alonso.


I generally agree. Only change I'd make is moving a righty (probably Rosario) up the 2 spot to not start L-L-L-L and move McNeil down to 6th behind Alonso (or Frazier to start the year) and the catcher to 7th to split up L/R more.
A few minor moves  
Jay on the Island : 12/6/2018 5:40 pm : link
Twins sign Jonathan Schoop to a 1 year $7.5 million dollar deal and Ronald Torreyes to a 1 year deal.

Cleveland signed Carlos Carrasco to a 4 year extension. The deal will pay him the same $9.75 million his 2019 option had paid, will increase his now-torn-up 2020 option to $10.25 from $9.5 million and will pay him $12 million in both 2021 and 2022. The option for 2023 is worth $14 million and comes with a $3 million buyout.

So he basically took less than $1m in new $ to guarantee extra 2 yrs  
Eric on Li : 12/6/2018 5:51 pm : link
both of which are also below FMV to bring the total to 4/$47m. Wonder how brodie feels about that comp coming in right before negotiating with JDG. Obviously this season from degrom was HOF worthy, but over the past 5 years Carrasco isn't that far off and they're both at similar ages with 2 years of control. A 5 year / $100m extension seems a lot more generous today than it did yesterday. Cano him!
Fisher  
DanMetroMan : 12/6/2018 6:57 pm : link
would not deal any of Nimmo, Conforto or Rosario let alone including top prospects for Realmuto. I'm liking this guy more and more.
Dan, so now  
CMicks3110 : 12/6/2018 10:52 pm : link
when I cite someone you didn't initially like, will you at least listen before jumping to conclusions because that same person may have said something you didn't previously agree with?
RE: Dan, so now  
DanMetroMan : 12/6/2018 11:01 pm : link
In comment 14208042 CMicks3110 said:
Quote:
when I cite someone you didn't initially like, will you at least listen before jumping to conclusions because that same person may have said something you didn't previously agree with?


I don't like anything from Martino, Cerrone or ex-Mets employees (Phillips, Duquette, Fisher included) defending a team with 2 recent winning seasons). But other than Cerrone not everything someone I disagree with is wrong on everything.
Great  
DanMetroMan : 12/6/2018 11:02 pm : link
deal for the Phillies, Alvarez is very solid. Strange move by the Angels.
Please don't trade any of our top young players for Realmuto  
Ira : 12/7/2018 5:59 am : link
.
I'd  
DanMetroMan : 12/7/2018 9:28 am : link
move Gimenez as a headliner for Realmuto tomorrow but I fail to see how it would be anywhere near enough.
.  
DanMetroMan : 12/7/2018 9:41 am : link
I'd be all about Kluber for prospects. The rotation would be the best in baseball and give you a real chance to do some damage with minimal lineup additions. Might be the cheapest route to being contenders
RE: .  
bigbluehoya : 12/7/2018 9:43 am : link
In comment 14208221 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
I'd be all about Kluber for prospects. The rotation would be the best in baseball and give you a real chance to do some damage with minimal lineup additions. Might be the cheapest route to being contenders


what kind of prospects do you think it takes? The price should be pretty nuts...do the Mets even have it without Kelenic?
RE: RE: .  
DanMetroMan : 12/7/2018 9:58 am : link
In comment 14208224 bigbluehoya said:
Quote:
In comment 14208221 DanMetroMan said:


Quote:


I'd be all about Kluber for prospects. The rotation would be the best in baseball and give you a real chance to do some damage with minimal lineup additions. Might be the cheapest route to being contenders



what kind of prospects do you think it takes? The price should be pretty nuts...do the Mets even have it without Kelenic?


Oh probably not. My point is Kluber would be the target for me if we were giving up prospects. Much, much prefer say Grandal or Ramos or Cervelli + Kluber vs. Realmuto and a guy like Brantley.
RE: RE: RE: .  
JayBinQueens : 12/7/2018 10:04 am : link
In comment 14208235 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
In comment 14208224 bigbluehoya said:


Quote:


In comment 14208221 DanMetroMan said:


Quote:


I'd be all about Kluber for prospects. The rotation would be the best in baseball and give you a real chance to do some damage with minimal lineup additions. Might be the cheapest route to being contenders



what kind of prospects do you think it takes? The price should be pretty nuts...do the Mets even have it without Kelenic?



Oh probably not. My point is Kluber would be the target for me if we were giving up prospects. Much, much prefer say Grandal or Ramos or Cervelli + Kluber vs. Realmuto and a guy like Brantley.


Spitballing here.

With Nimmo's name being thrown out for Realmuto, would you do:

One of the catchers, + Kluber + Pollack if it means trading Nimmo, Giminez + ?
I  
DanMetroMan : 12/7/2018 10:20 am : link
would take one of the catchers, Kluber and Pollock for Nimmo/Gimenez+ if that's the question. Yes.
More Red Sox defections  
pjcas18 : 12/7/2018 11:50 am : link
joining the Mets FO:


Ken Rosenthal
‏Verified account @Ken_Rosenthal

Jared Banner will be the #Mets new farm director, sources tell The Athletic. Previously was #RedSox VP of player personnel. Dombrowski revealed yesterday that Banner was leaving Boston organization.
11:40 AM - 7 Dec 2018
RE: More Red Sox defections  
DanMetroMan : 12/7/2018 11:54 am : link
In comment 14208405 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
joining the Mets FO:


Ken Rosenthal
‏Verified account @Ken_Rosenthal

Jared Banner will be the #Mets new farm director, sources tell The Athletic. Previously was #RedSox VP of player personnel. Dombrowski revealed yesterday that Banner was leaving Boston organization.
11:40 AM - 7 Dec 2018


Great hire. Future GM type. Grew up a Mets fan.
RE: RE: More Red Sox defections  
Ira : 12/7/2018 12:06 pm : link
In comment 14208409 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
In comment 14208405 pjcas18 said:


Quote:


joining the Mets FO:


Ken Rosenthal
‏Verified account @Ken_Rosenthal

Jared Banner will be the #Mets new farm director, sources tell The Athletic. Previously was #RedSox VP of player personnel. Dombrowski revealed yesterday that Banner was leaving Boston organization.
11:40 AM - 7 Dec 2018



Great hire. Future GM type. Grew up a Mets fan.


Brodie is putting together a good organization.
RE: RE: RE: More Red Sox defections  
SJGiant : 12/7/2018 1:10 pm : link
In comment 14208426 Ira said:
Quote:
In comment 14208409 DanMetroMan said:


Quote:


In comment 14208405 pjcas18 said:


Quote:


joining the Mets FO:


Ken Rosenthal
‏Verified account @Ken_Rosenthal

Jared Banner will be the #Mets new farm director, sources tell The Athletic. Previously was #RedSox VP of player personnel. Dombrowski revealed yesterday that Banner was leaving Boston organization.
11:40 AM - 7 Dec 2018



Great hire. Future GM type. Grew up a Mets fan.



Brodie is putting together a good organization.


Great article about Jared Banner and a little about Baird. Both great recent hires by the Mets. Best thing about Banner is he is a Mets fan and a Red Sox fan. Why a Red Sox fan? Like a true Mets fan, he hates the Yankees. Sorry about that Yankee fans.
Jared Banner - ( New Window )
Love what Brodie is doing in building the org  
Eric on Li : 12/7/2018 1:12 pm : link
I agree on Kluber, he's a guy I'd probably deal Nimmo for knowing you can add a Brantley/Mccutchen type for a COF spot on an affordable 1 or 2 year deal. But still really don't want to give up any of the remaining top prospects at all. Even for Kluber, I would much prefer doing a deal around Matz + Nimmo + a lesser prospect vs. including 1 of the top 5 in the system.

Still don't want to trade for Realmuto under just about any circumstance. He turned down a 4/64m offer from the Marlins and countered with a 5 year deal over $100m, so I fail to see how it's worth trading for him and spending that much more in $ than Grandal.
Supposedly the Mets have Rosario  
ZGiants98 : 12/7/2018 1:19 pm : link
On the table for Realmuto.

Love Rosario and hate selling low but Id probably do it. Id give Cecchini a shot until Gimenez is ready.
RE: Supposedly the Mets have Rosario  
SJGiant : 12/7/2018 1:23 pm : link
In comment 14208534 ZGiants98 said:
Quote:
On the table for Realmuto.

Love Rosario and hate selling low but Id probably do it. Id give Cecchini a shot until Gimenez is ready.


This is not good news. I dont like Cecchini to play SS. The Mets would have to get a low hit great fielding shortstop in the interim until Gimenez is ready. Does this mean both Rosario and Nimmo?
RE: RE: Supposedly the Mets have Rosario  
ZGiants98 : 12/7/2018 1:36 pm : link
In comment 14208537 SJGiant said:
Quote:
In comment 14208534 ZGiants98 said:


Quote:


On the table for Realmuto.

Love Rosario and hate selling low but Id probably do it. Id give Cecchini a shot until Gimenez is ready.



This is not good news. I dont like Cecchini to play SS. The Mets would have to get a low hit great fielding shortstop in the interim until Gimenez is ready. Does this mean both Rosario and Nimmo?


No it does not mean Rosario and Nimmo. Rosario is the headline in the deal per recent Twitter whispers. I mean, if you had Cecchini in the 8th hole is it really going to kill you? We also have Guillorme if you wanted more D and maybe Gimenez is up towards the end. You could sign Iglesias for cheap too.
Keith  
DanMetroMan : 12/7/2018 1:42 pm : link
Law flat out said Cecchini can't play MLB SS.
I don't like Rosario for Realmuto, but of the offers i'd prefer it  
Eric on Li : 12/7/2018 1:42 pm : link
for 1 reason - Andrelton Simmons. Haven't heard any rumors that he's available but gotta think they'd be willing to listen if we offered a package involving a young controllable major leaguer like Nimmo since he only has 2 years left on his deal.

I would still just skip Realmuto though and see if I could get Simmons for Rosario, then add a catcher like Cervelli and keep Nimmo. If you add Simmons you can probably afford to go with an all D no bat CF like Hamilton as opposed to Pollock.

Nimmo
Simmons
Conforto
Cano
Frazier / Alonso
McNeil
Cervelli
Hamilton / Lagares

Not too shabby. Just about everyone in that lineup other than Alonso is a plus defender and you've got gold gloves at the 2 most premium positions.
Law  
DanMetroMan : 12/7/2018 1:44 pm : link
Do you see him ending up an everyday player?
Klaw: No, he got much worse, and I think hes a 2b only.
Would rather sign a  
Metnut : 12/7/2018 1:46 pm : link
catcher than trade Rosario for Realmuto, but if they do go that route, I'd strongly consider making a play for Nick Ahmed. He's a glove first SS whose bat hasn't developed like ARZ hoped. He'd be available relatively affordably (ARZ is a bit down on him) and still has some pop upside in that bat if we get lucky.
Cecchini  
DanMetroMan : 12/7/2018 1:48 pm : link
wouldn't even be in the discussion for starting SS so I'm not going to even bother with a diatribe but they would almost certainly sign someone vs. any internal option.
Horrendous  
DanMetroMan : 12/7/2018 1:50 pm : link
Owings somehow got 3.3 million.
Puig is on the trade block again (per usual)  
ZGiants98 : 12/7/2018 3:20 pm : link
I'd consider him after the Harper/Machado big guns.

Realmuto, Puig, and Miller would be a sweet offseason finish IMO.

I like Puig a lot more than Pollock.
RE: Puig is on the trade block again (per usual)  
Metnut : 12/7/2018 4:36 pm : link
In comment 14208674 ZGiants98 said:
Quote:
I'd consider him after the Harper/Machado big guns.

Realmuto, Puig, and Miller would be a sweet offseason finish IMO.

I like Puig a lot more than Pollock.


Puig is really underrated. Would love to add him.
14  
DanMetroMan : 12/7/2018 4:39 pm : link
teams in on Realmuto lol
Considering Miami's demands and the level of competition,  
Ira : 12/7/2018 4:44 pm : link
I hope we're not the winner out of those 14 teams.
RE: Considering Miami's demands and the level of competition,  
Eric on Li : 12/7/2018 4:51 pm : link
In comment 14208733 Ira said:
Quote:
I hope we're not the winner out of those 14 teams.


same
RE: Considering Miami's demands and the level of competition,  
Jay on the Island : 12/7/2018 5:00 pm : link
In comment 14208733 Ira said:
Quote:
I hope we're not the winner out of those 14 teams.

I am hoping that the Braves move on as well. I hate the idea of giving up two top 3 prospects for 2 years of a catcher who isn't a good pitch framer.
I see no reason  
pjcas18 : 12/7/2018 5:09 pm : link
as a team to be out on Machado but to pursue Puig.

Puig will require prospects and even though he is still under team control for two more seasons he's already making north of $10M in 2019.

I get OF vs IF, but Machado costs only money and the Mets could still use a 3B. If Puig were a legit CFer I could maybe buy it, but he's not.

One thing I'll say about BVW that I really like compared to Sandy  
Eric on Li : 12/7/2018 5:27 pm : link
he seems to be taking the approach of prioritizing the best players possible. Sandy always seemed to prioritize value. He was never really aggressive about getting a top player whether it was via trade or FA - he had his price and he patiently waited to get it. The only time he was kind of aggressive it was for Cuddyer, and I don't think it was because he was the best OF'er it was bc he was affordable.

Obviously it's more competitive to get the better players bc they are in higher demand so there's more risk. We had to give up a lot for Diaz so it was a risk compared to getting any FA closer. But I respect how BVW is exploring and prioritizing acquiring top players. Just disagree with any assessment that Realmuto is worth significantly more than someone like Grandal. That difference is far less in $ cost and far more in trade cost as compared to Diaz vs. FA closers. Hopefully someone else swoops in and he can just move on to his next target.
Sign me up for John Harper's Prediction for the Mets  
SJGiant : 12/7/2018 10:17 pm : link

4. Mets Sign A.J. Pollock, Andrew Miller, Martin Maldonado

The romance is on between Brodie Van Wagenen and the Wilpons, meaning he'll have freedom to raise the payroll, perhaps to the $170-$180 million level. And these three free agents would fill holes nicely.

Two of them come with injury concerns, but as a right-handed-hitting CF, Pollock is a perfect fit, and the addition of Edwin Diaz gives the Mets room to gamble on Miller's dominance when healthy. Finally, Maldonado makes sense as a defense-first catcher for a team whose success will depend mostly on its starting pitching.
John Harper Bold Predictions - ( New Window )
Interesting article  
SJGiant : 12/8/2018 12:30 pm : link
About what the Mariners thought about Kelenic and the other prospects they got. We felt he was the best player in the draft .
Seattle Mariners thoughts - ( New Window )
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner