Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Can someone recommend a good shooter game for the PC?

Jints in Carolina : 12/5/2018 1:46 pm
My brother in law is into first person shooter games on his PC. Can someone recommend which one I should get him for Christmas?


If he's a gamer..  
Chris in Philly : 12/5/2018 1:48 pm : link
he might already have the ones most people will recommend. Can you find out what he has already?
RE: If he's a gamer..  
Jints in Carolina : 12/5/2018 1:52 pm : link
In comment 14206672 Chris in Philly said:
Quote:
he might already have the ones most people will recommend. Can you find out what he has already?


Trust me he doesn't LOL

He plays the same old shooter he has had for years when he wants to escape.

But he likes it and I figured I'd get him something new.
.  
Banks : 12/5/2018 1:56 pm : link
does he care for story or not. I think the steam sale starts soon. you can probably pick up a bunch for like $3/game. Personally I don't play conventional shooters, but I can recco one if you have any more details. Like does he want a story, want it realistic, or batshit crazy (like the new doom)?
the new wolfenstien games are great  
Gordo : 12/5/2018 1:58 pm : link
The Old Blood, New Order, and New Colossus, Great story line and the action is intense. Played on both PC and PS4, preferred the PC version.

RE: .  
Jints in Carolina : 12/5/2018 2:01 pm : link
In comment 14206679 Banks said:
Quote:
does he care for story or not. I think the steam sale starts soon. you can probably pick up a bunch for like $3/game. Personally I don't play conventional shooters, but I can recco one if you have any more details. Like does he want a story, want it realistic, or batshit crazy (like the new doom)?


Nothing too batshit crazy...he does enjoy a story.
RE: the new wolfenstien games are great  
Jints in Carolina : 12/5/2018 2:01 pm : link
In comment 14206682 Gordo said:
Quote:
The Old Blood, New Order, and New Colossus, Great story line and the action is intense. Played on both PC and PS4, preferred the PC version.


noted...thank you
RE: RE: .  
Banks : 12/5/2018 2:08 pm : link
In comment 14206684 Jints in Carolina said:
Quote:
In comment 14206679 Banks said:


Quote:


does he care for story or not. I think the steam sale starts soon. you can probably pick up a bunch for like $3/game. Personally I don't play conventional shooters, but I can recco one if you have any more details. Like does he want a story, want it realistic, or batshit crazy (like the new doom)?



Nothing too batshit crazy...he does enjoy a story.

cool, how old is the game he is playing? Reason being there are a slew of great games from the past 5-10 years, but if it's something brand new, i can recco that too. wolfenstein is a great recco
Wolfenstein is in the lead  
Jints in Carolina : 12/5/2018 2:12 pm : link
He plays Borderlands and Fallout
I'm old school  
JohnF : 12/5/2018 2:16 pm : link
so Doom (any of them), Duke Nukem 3D (a guilty pleasure), Heretic, Half Life (Steam) are great fun. Here's a comprehensive list. Enjoy!

The 50 best FPS's for PC
There are some good...  
Chris in Philly : 12/5/2018 2:17 pm : link
Battlefield and Call of Duty options as well, especially if he is into any kind of history...
Oh...  
Chris in Philly : 12/5/2018 2:19 pm : link
and Star Wars Battlefront if he is into SW...
ah  
Banks : 12/5/2018 2:27 pm : link
so that tells me he likes shooters, but not terribly realistic ones. If he has never played Bioshock Infinite, i'd buy him that. It's 5 years old, but one of my all time favorites. The new Doom is fun. Fallout 4, any of the recent (4 or 5) Far Cry games, the Metro 2033 series, or Black Mesa (remake of half life 1 with new engine). Battlefield 1 or V or CoD games for military shooters
Do you people still play counter strike?  
Leg of Theismann : 12/5/2018 2:43 pm : link
Man I used to be addicted to that game. I kind of want to play it again haha. Anyone know how I can do that? I have both an iMac and PC, but PC is a work computer so I'd rather use my iMac if that's even possible. Thanks.
RE: Wolfenstein is in the lead  
montanagiant : 12/5/2018 3:15 pm : link
In comment 14206697 Jints in Carolina said:
Quote:
He plays Borderlands and Fallout

Just finished Wolfenstein, Colossus for the 2nd time, great game.

Have him sign up on Steam where he can get some real good ones cheap such as Crysis, Metro, F.E.A.R. 2 & 3
RE: There are some good...  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 12/5/2018 3:57 pm : link
In comment 14206704 Chris in Philly said:
Quote:
Battlefield and Call of Duty options as well, especially if he is into any kind of history...

No BF5, the sjws are trying to ruin gaming like they tried to ruin the nfl.
RE: RE: There are some good...  
Chris in Philly : 12/5/2018 4:11 pm : link
In comment 14206813 Coach Red Beaulieu said:
Quote:
In comment 14206704 Chris in Philly said:


Quote:


Battlefield and Call of Duty options as well, especially if he is into any kind of history...


No BF5, the sjws are trying to ruin gaming like they tried to ruin the nfl.


I don't know what you're talking about, nor do I particularly care...
Thanks guys  
Jints in Carolina : 12/5/2018 4:33 pm : link
For the recommendations.
Destiny 2  
Flanker7 : 12/5/2018 4:39 pm : link
Destiny 2 is more of a looter shooter than pure FPS, but the gunplay and the way the game "feels" is without a doubt the best I've ever played.

They're also by Bungie, the creaters of Halo. Literally the only game I've played in a year +
RE: Destiny 2  
Flanker7 : 12/5/2018 4:40 pm : link
In comment 14206870 Flanker7 said:
Quote:
Destiny 2 is more of a looter shooter than pure FPS, but the gunplay and the way the game "feels" is without a doubt the best I've ever played.

They're also by Bungie, the creaters of Halo. Literally the only game I've played in a year +


Oh, and if he likes borderlands and fallout he would definitely be into the loot/progression type stuff that Destiny has over a "regular" FPS.
.  
Banks : 12/5/2018 4:41 pm : link
the steam recommendation is good. in about 2 weeks one of their big sales hits. Games even from 2 years ago sell for nothing. Someone mentioned counterstrike. i bought it for like 50 cents, Half life 2 for $1, Left4Dead for $2. Even my recco of Bioshock Infinite will likely be under $5.
You can pick up  
Don in DC : 12/5/2018 5:37 pm : link
any of the Deus Ex titles for cheap at this point, and they are excellent games that hold up well. Same goes for the Mass Effect series. Great games, and old enough now that they will be super cheap.
Back to the Corner