Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

NFT: 77 Years Ago Today....

Britt in VA : 12/7/2018 10:46 am
A day that will live in infamy.

R.I.P.


Link - ( New Window )
Yamamoto's Comment  
prh : 12/7/2018 11:00 am : link

Quote:
I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.
.
Proved to be accurate.This event galvanized most all Americans to give it their all.

With the passing of President Bush this week....  
Britt in VA : 12/7/2018 11:05 am : link
and all the stories associated with that, it's really no wonder why that generation is labeled the greatest.
They truly were the greatest generation of our era  
Snifflenick : 12/7/2018 11:23 am : link
They believed in America, freedom, discipline. hard work and gratitude..
They had a true enemy to fight  
gmenatlarge : 12/7/2018 11:32 am : link
vs the made up crap in the police actions that followed to this day. Kudos to that generation!
Their values and ideals just seem so foreign to where we are as  
Britt in VA : 12/7/2018 11:34 am : link
a country now.

While they believed in personal responsibility, we assign blame.

Where they were humble, we post every achievement possible online.

Family values and all associated with that... Eating dinner every night and expecting everybody to sit there and be part of the family conversation... Now you go into restaurants, and everybody is buried in their phone with headphones in.
RE: Their values and ideals just seem so foreign to where we are as  
Jay on the Island : 12/7/2018 12:29 pm : link
In comment 14208383 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
a country now.

While they believed in personal responsibility, we assign blame.

Where they were humble, we post every achievement possible online.

Family values and all associated with that... Eating dinner every night and expecting everybody to sit there and be part of the family conversation... Now you go into restaurants, and everybody is buried in their phone with headphones in.

Well said.
And maybe even most relevant these days...  
Britt in VA : 12/7/2018 12:47 pm : link
people kept their personal politics to themselves. It was taboo to talk about who you voted for and why.
I don't think that generation...  
BamaBlue : 12/7/2018 1:10 pm : link
was any more or less courageous than this generation. I've been very proud of this generation of military and at work in a multi-generational organization. The biggest difference is the loss of innocence.

The 'greatest' generation didn't feel everyone was entitled to their immediate thoughts on every subject. There was a time of reflection and consideration of avoiding a rush to judge. People respected this reflection of thought and were able to discuss differences of opinion with critical thinking.

Today (thanks in large part to social media), people feel they have an obligation to provide every knee-jerk, opinionated position on every subject at the moment the thought is conceived. Counter opinions are viewed as a personal attack. People are not willing to give critical thoughts to opinions that differ. Labels are affixed to avoid discussion and people are driven to choose a ideological side and stick with it.
RE: And maybe even most relevant these days...  
GeneInCal : 12/7/2018 2:08 pm : link
In comment 14208486 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
people kept their personal politics to themselves. It was taboo to talk about who you voted for and why.

Mainstream left and right weren't as far apart then and radicalized as much either.
Besides the obvious allure of travelling to paradise  
Stu11 : 12/7/2018 2:12 pm : link
I definitely highly recommend a visit to the Pearl Harbor museum and USS Arizona Memorial. Definitely one of the most humbling sites I've ever visited. Seeing the ship there and knowing the men are still down there and that survivors of the ship have requested that their remains be returned there really hit me emotionally. Seeing the small amounts of oil that still leak out to this day was incredible too.
RE: I don't think that generation...  
JOrthman : 12/7/2018 2:16 pm : link
In comment 14208520 BamaBlue said:
Quote:
was any more or less courageous than this generation. I've been very proud of this generation of military and at work in a multi-generational organization. The biggest difference is the loss of innocence.

The 'greatest' generation didn't feel everyone was entitled to their immediate thoughts on every subject. There was a time of reflection and consideration of avoiding a rush to judge. People respected this reflection of thought and were able to discuss differences of opinion with critical thinking.

Today (thanks in large part to social media), people feel they have an obligation to provide every knee-jerk, opinionated position on every subject at the moment the thought is conceived. Counter opinions are viewed as a personal attack. People are not willing to give critical thoughts to opinions that differ. Labels are affixed to avoid discussion and people are driven to choose a ideological side and stick with it.


I really don't want to bring this up in this thread, but since others have I'll just say this, agreeing with the post above...It's not like the U.S. jumped into those wars with both feet. We really tend to look at the past with rose colored glasses.
My statement was not to criticize the courage of anybody  
Britt in VA : 12/7/2018 2:32 pm : link
of any generation, that serves the armed forces. That was not my intent whatsoever.

I just got briefly sidetracked when I started thinking about President Bush's funeral and some of the stories that coincided with his service during WWII.

That put me off on a tangent of just that time period in general.

The courage of of anybody that serves the military will never be criticized by me.
And it also the first poster on the thread's statement....  
Britt in VA : 12/7/2018 2:36 pm : link
of how the attack galvanized all Americans to give it their all...

And that made me think about the women and children going into factories and doing anything and everything they could as a country to help.

Now, I only know what I learned in history, as I wasn't born until '76. But that was how we were taught history when I was growing up. No idea how far that was from reality or not.
We  
AcidTest : 12/7/2018 3:10 pm : link
will never forget. RIP. God bless.
I don't know why....  
Britt in VA : 12/7/2018 3:18 pm : link
But I hold a particular fascination with daily life in America during that time.

On one hand, it seemed like it was a great time to be in the United States, the depression was over, there was a sense of wonder and new technology on the horizon with movies and television and space exploration on the horizon and just what must have felt like a limitless future.

On the other hand, you had the fear that somebody could drop a nuke on you and you'd be wiped out in an instant, and for others you had a madman wanting to kill you for your religous beliefs.
This is the only recording (I think) of a radio broadcast from Hawaii  
Greg from LI : 12/7/2018 4:14 pm : link
on the morning of December 7.
Link - ( New Window )
I think we can honor the past  
Ken in DC : 12/7/2018 4:20 pm : link
without glossing over how bad it was back then as well. For whites, it was nice and all, but for anyone of color, it pretty much sucked. Rampant racism, lynching, internment camps, etc.

So some of you pining for back then, feel glad that you were born white like many of us.
This is an interesting video  
Greg from LI : 12/7/2018 4:25 pm : link
A well made, detailed animation of the details of the attack. I didn't realize that it actually could have been much worse - many torpedoes missed and many of the bombs dropped were duds.
Link - ( New Window )
RE: This is an interesting video  
Motley Two : 12/7/2018 6:12 pm : link
In comment 14208716 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
A well made, detailed animation of the details of the attack. I didn't realize that it actually could have been much worse - many torpedoes missed and many of the bombs dropped were duds. Link - ( New Window )


I posted this video on here a few months back. Very well made and very well detailed. I hadn't realized how much worse it could have been either until this same video.
I just read that for the first time  
Bill in UT : 12/7/2018 6:32 pm : link
no survivors of Pearl Harbor were present for the ceremonies there. None of the 5 remaining survivors was healthy enough to make the trip. Sad, indeed.
RE: I think we can honor the past  
christian : 12/7/2018 7:38 pm : link
In comment 14208711 Ken in DC said:
Quote:
without glossing over how bad it was back then as well. For whites, it was nice and all, but for anyone of color, it pretty much sucked. Rampant racism, lynching, internment camps, etc.

So some of you pining for back then, feel glad that you were born white like many of us.


Yeah it's hard for us non-white Americans to get so stoked about a time when rounding up, beating up, stringing up folks was pretty common.

That said -- many, many brave black, Asian and Hispanic Americans, etc. served along the unquestionably brave white Americans in a war above all wars.

I find it much more easy to feel humble reverence for those who risked and sacrificed so much, then mourn the passing of the era.
RE: I just read that for the first time  
Greg from LI : 12/7/2018 7:43 pm : link
In comment 14208795 Bill in UT said:
Quote:
no survivors of Pearl Harbor were present for the ceremonies there. None of the 5 remaining survivors was healthy enough to make the trip. Sad, indeed.


There were Pearl Harbors survivors there. The story was that it was the first time there were none of the surviving crewmen from the Arizona.
RE: RE: I just read that for the first time  
Bill in UT : 12/7/2018 7:55 pm : link
In comment 14208839 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
In comment 14208795 Bill in UT said:


Quote:


no survivors of Pearl Harbor were present for the ceremonies there. None of the 5 remaining survivors was healthy enough to make the trip. Sad, indeed.



There were Pearl Harbors survivors there. The story was that it was the first time there were none of the surviving crewmen from the Arizona.


Yes, you are correct. It also seems that of the 40 survivors present, 3 were VT grads :)
Want-deprivation-struggle,  
GiantsUA : 12/8/2018 1:30 pm : link
formed many of these men and women who came of age during the depression.

Most were very appreciative of the opportunity to succeed that this country offered them when the war was over - GI Bill, et.
Back to the Corner