Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

If we go qb, be prepared....

5BowlsSoon : 1/2/2019 12:05 pm
To get the second qb of our choice, not the first.

I believe someone, most likely Denver, will trade up with TBay at the last minute to pick number five and select the top qb of their liking, which may be the Giants top choice. Thus, if we insist on selecting a qb, it may be our second choice. Denver is in a good place to do that too, I believe at number 9, to move up a few slots.

Just throwing that out there.
A QB going in the top 5  
figgy2989 : 1/2/2019 12:06 pm : link
Pushes another prospect down. Not necessarily a bad thing when you are sitting at 6.
RE: A QB going in the top 5  
5BowlsSoon : 1/2/2019 12:08 pm : link
In comment 14244202 figgy2989 said:
Quote:
Pushes another prospect down. Not necessarily a bad thing when you are sitting at 6.


Except if you are really wanting a particular qb, the one who happens to go at 5
A lot of time between now and April  
figgy2989 : 1/2/2019 12:11 pm : link
Draft stock will move up and down after the combine, pro days, interview, etc...

If the Giants are locked into a guy they want and he happens to be a QB, there is nothing from preventing them to try and move up. Just look at what the Jets did last year to jump to the 3rd pick.
Exactly...we too can try to move up for a QB if we want to.  
yatqb : 1/2/2019 12:14 pm : link
.
RE: A lot of time between now and April  
5BowlsSoon : 1/2/2019 12:15 pm : link
In comment 14244225 figgy2989 said:
Quote:
Draft stock will move up and down after the combine, pro days, interview, etc...

If the Giants are locked into a guy they want and he happens to be a QB, there is nothing from preventing them to try and move up. Just look at what the Jets did last year to jump to the 3rd pick.


I wonder if Moving up 2 spots probably costs us our second. We donít have a third. If it costs us a 4th and we absolutely love that guy we may do it.
The Giants aren't going to take a QB  
Jay on the Island : 1/2/2019 12:16 pm : link
just for the sake of it. It wouldn't shock me at all if Haskins isn't even in their top 10.
If it happens, it happens  
jeff57 : 1/2/2019 12:17 pm : link
I don't see a can't miss QB. And not a lot of difference between Haskins and Lock, who I think are the top two.
Nope ...  
Beer Man : 1/2/2019 12:17 pm : link
Denver does that, then the team should go to plan B/C/D and wait until the 2020 draft for Eli's replacement. This is an ugly QB class, and unless DG/PS believe there is a Franchise guy worthy of the #6 pick, you don't force it. At #6 they have to find an impact player. There are too many significant holes to fix, and they won't all be addressed this off-season.
The winner in this draft may be the team who finds a starting QB in  
Ivan15 : 1/2/2019 12:28 pm : link
the bottom half of the first round.
I'm pretty sure..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 1/2/2019 12:30 pm : link
if we are prepared to take the 2nd QB on the board that if we really want the first guy, we will trade up, or end up picking a different player.

You don't realize how ridiculous this thread sounds??
This really doesn't feel like a good year for Quarterbacks.  
Ten Ton Hammer : 1/2/2019 12:34 pm : link
.
Oh well...Thanks for the heads up  
GiantsRage2007 : 1/2/2019 12:35 pm : link
You don't use the 6th pick in the draft on your 2nd favorite QB.
Giants taking a QB?  
Archer : 1/2/2019 12:41 pm : link
Last year Gettleman could not justify taking any of the (5) first round QBs with the second pick. He selected the best player in the draft.

It could be argued that Lamar Jackson who was the 5th QB taken last year, and the 32nd player overall, would be the best QB in this draft.

It would be very hard for Gettleman to justify using the 6th pick for anyone other than the best player. Or in his vernacular a "yellow jacket" player.

The only way I can see the Giants selecting a QB is if they trade down.
Really think the NYG have to monitor DEN closely.  
Pete in CO : 1/2/2019 12:52 pm : link
All the chit chat Iíve heard is that this is NOT the year for a QB, while next year is. I donít think DEN will take a QB this draft unless they absolutely love Haskins.
...sound familiar?
Seemingly DEN will not go to FA to get a QB, since last few seasons have yielded nothing, and they are squarely in QB hell. This could be Elwayís last draft, and is really his last opportunity to steer the franchise into a winning trajectory. Elway couldíve been axed this year if not for the lack of a clearly defined / strong ownership entity.
I honestly see them going for:
1.) Bridgewater or nobody
2.) heavy OL /DL
3.) Keep Keenum one more year and draft a future backup QB in later rounds
4.) Build assets this year to go all in for Tua in 2020
...sound familiar?
I believe the thing the Giants and fans need to be prepared for, is  
baadbill : 1/2/2019 12:58 pm : link
that the 2019 draft is likely to be the last draft in a very long time where the Giants have a top 10 pick. I'm not saying they are winning the SB or even making the playoffs - but they are almost certainly going to hit the intermediate territory around 19-20... where draft success becomes more difficult.
not sure there is more than 1 QB  
cjac : 1/2/2019 1:00 pm : link
in this draft that is a top 10 pick

if someone leap frogs us we just take the BPA

to be honest, and i'm talking about Haskins here, i'm not sure he's worth the 6th pick.

i dont think Gettleman is going to reach for need
We need OL, DL and DB depth in that order  
MotownGIANTS : 1/2/2019 1:18 pm : link
QB is a pressing need but the O now goes thru Barkley then OBJ and then whoever is open ... the key to making the team better offensively is the OL short and long term.

Hand wringing over a QB makes no sense and Gettleman knows that. we are in a prime position to address needs without reaching. We go OL rd1 DL rd2 (OL in FA) and FS in rd 3 (we'll deal to get back into the 3rd) and BPA 5th and beyond.

In 2020 all bets are off and you see QB frenzy draft wise ...
Smart thing to do  
UberAlias : 1/2/2019 1:50 pm : link
If you donít love any QBs is to stock pile picks in efforts to make your move next year.
RE: The Giants aren't going to take a QB  
Matt M. : 1/2/2019 1:51 pm : link
In comment 14244237 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
just for the sake of it. It wouldn't shock me at all if Haskins isn't even in their top 10.
I keep thinking they will take Jones just to say they took a QB, regardless of whether Haskins is there. Neither guy really impresses me, but I am not sure who impresses me less.
Haskins is pretty productive  
Ten Ton Hammer : 1/2/2019 1:56 pm : link
But this seems like a weak class.

I'm having a hard  
darren in pdx : 1/2/2019 1:56 pm : link
time believing that they're going to go QB for the sake of it, especially after last year's draft when those prospects were considered much better. I think they're just going to go with whoever the top rated player on their board is, and I'm fine with a pass rusher, OL or QB if they deem them to be the best available.
if we don't go QB, be prepared  
YAJ2112 : 1/2/2019 1:57 pm : link
for 10,000 more posts about how we are in QB hell and are the new Browns, etc.
RE: if we don't go QB, be prepared  
baadbill : 1/2/2019 2:30 pm : link
In comment 14244462 YAJ2112 said:
Quote:
for 10,000 more posts about how we are in QB hell and are the new Browns, etc.


If Giants do go QB and he looks like a flop, be prepared for 10,000 more posts about how the Giants are in QB hell and are the new Browns, etc.
RE: I'm having a hard  
Matt M. : 1/2/2019 2:56 pm : link
In comment 14244458 darren in pdx said:
Quote:
time believing that they're going to go QB for the sake of it, especially after last year's draft when those prospects were considered much better. I think they're just going to go with whoever the top rated player on their board is, and I'm fine with a pass rusher, OL or QB if they deem them to be the best available.
I'd rather trade down than take a QB given the two most likely choices at that position. As for OL and pass rusher, I don't know enough about this class yet, but from what I've read, the strength this year is not at either of those positions, but rather DT and 3/4 DEs.
It's almost like the Giants are in a can't win proposition now  
Matt M. : 1/2/2019 3:00 pm : link
Enough people don't want Eli back. If they cut him, they have to sign a guy like Foles or spend the #6 pick on a guy who is not worthy of a top 10 pick. If they let him play out his last year, they can roll the dice on finishing poorly enough next year to get a top QB, but you would think they will make enough improvements that an Eli led team can be relevant next year. If they negotiate a pay cut for cap savings, it really results in extending Eli, which is probably not the real goal of those calling for a pay cut.
RE: It's almost like the Giants are in a can't win proposition now  
MotownGIANTS : 1/2/2019 3:08 pm : link
In comment 14244640 Matt M. said:
Quote:
Enough people don't want Eli back. If they cut him, they have to sign a guy like Foles or spend the #6 pick on a guy who is not worthy of a top 10 pick. If they let him play out his last year, they can roll the dice on finishing poorly enough next year to get a top QB, but you would think they will make enough improvements that an Eli led team can be relevant next year. If they negotiate a pay cut for cap savings, it really results in extending Eli, which is probably not the real goal of those calling for a pay cut.


I am ok with Eli retiring or being cut if he balks at a paycut (I am not really for a restructure but I can see it happening on the teams terms). We fix the OL more and the DL some and maybe grab a FS and more DB depth. Address QA in 2020 yup we may have to use draft picks in the future...but the will have filled a few holes in multiple areas and those picks are not as high as the buyer was hoping for .... If Beal works out we have basically gotten 2 1st rders this year ...
RE: RE: if we don't go QB, be prepared  
YAJ2112 : 1/2/2019 3:13 pm : link
In comment 14244554 baadbill said:
Quote:
In comment 14244462 YAJ2112 said:


Quote:


for 10,000 more posts about how we are in QB hell and are the new Browns, etc.



If Giants do go QB and he looks like a flop, be prepared for 10,000 more posts about how the Giants are in QB hell and are the new Browns, etc.


ha, yep.
Why does everyone ignore what Shurmur said about Lauletta's  
Blue21 : 1/2/2019 3:18 pm : link
future? Not saying he will or will not be the next QB to start. But we better be sure whoever we're drafting if we draft a QB at 1 or 2 is better than him. Or we waste a pick. I'm just not sure that these QB's coming out are. All I hear is this is a weak QB class but it does seem like many on BBI would be willing to reach to grab one. I'll leave the decision up to the Giants and hope for the best. But I'm still hoping that Lauletta has it in him. Despite the arrest and despite the poor showing in the one qtr he played throwing 5 passes. Here's hoping the Giants know and draft accordingly. But until I hear it from the Giants FO or see a lot more from him and the Giants I haven't given up yet on him. And I'm still guessing we see Eli one more year with a pay cut.
Many here donít think much of Haskins  
5BowlsSoon : 1/2/2019 3:20 pm : link
Iím curious, What did you think of ROSEN? Rosen was projected top 5 just about all offseason. Do you believe Rosen is that much better than Haskins?
RE: Really think the NYG have to monitor DEN closely.  
5BowlsSoon : 1/2/2019 3:23 pm : link
In comment 14244331 Pete in CO said:
Quote:
All the chit chat Iíve heard is that this is NOT the year for a QB, while next year is. I donít think DEN will take a QB this draft unless they absolutely love Haskins.
...sound familiar?
Seemingly DEN will not go to FA to get a QB, since last few seasons have yielded nothing, and they are squarely in QB hell. This could be Elwayís last draft, and is really his last opportunity to steer the franchise into a winning trajectory. Elway couldíve been axed this year if not for the lack of a clearly defined / strong ownership entity.
I honestly see them going for:
1.) Bridgewater or nobody
2.) heavy OL /DL
3.) Keep Keenum one more year and draft a future backup QB in later rounds
4.) Build assets this year to go all in for Tua in 2020
...sound familiar?


I agree with you somewhat. I do believe Elway realizes he made a mistake with Keemun and he needs to rectify it. Iím not sure Bridewater is the answer, but I think Elway will not want to start next season with Keemun. Maybe Iím wrong and maybe he has other bigger problems to deal with.
RE: Oh well...Thanks for the heads up  
5BowlsSoon : 1/2/2019 3:26 pm : link
In comment 14244294 GiantsRage2007 said:
Quote:
You don't use the 6th pick in the draft on your 2nd favorite QB.


Are you sure about this? What if you have both QBs about equally rated? Like that year, the Giants probably had several qbs about equal and perhaps could have taken either one if Barkley were taken first in the draft. In other words, I donít necessarily think you canít like more than one.
Keep in mind Elway hasnít done that spectacular  
Simms11 : 1/2/2019 3:37 pm : link
Picking QBs after Peyton. Iím not so sure heíd press the issue this year. Next year is another story however.
This past Sunday  
Jay on the Island : 1/2/2019 3:45 pm : link
Teddy Bridgewater showed that he is not a starting QB in the NFL. The good news is that it silenced many who were under the assumption that Bridgewater was the answer for the Giants.
Woof. Some brutal stuff.  
Dave in Hoboken : 1/2/2019 3:47 pm : link
.
RE: This past Sunday  
Bruner4329 : 1/2/2019 4:06 pm : link
In comment 14244731 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
Teddy Bridgewater showed that he is not a starting QB in the NFL. The good news is that it silenced many who were under the assumption that Bridgewater was the answer for the Giants.


Yes there are a lot of QBs that are starters than are a lot worse than people realize. Bridgewater was never a game changer mostly a game manager and now he is one hit away from maybe retirement. That leg injury was brutal. You want Cousins, not me. Andy Dalton, can't win a playoff game no thanks. Alex Smith? again game manger but can't win the big one and his arm is weak. Even Foles. yes he won a super bowl but it seems odd that he wasn't able to do anything in his time as a Ram and Chief. Just think everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side and its often isn't.
RE: RE: Oh well...Thanks for the heads up  
GiantsRage2007 : 1/2/2019 4:11 pm : link
In comment 14244696 5BowlsSoon said:
Quote:
In comment 14244294 GiantsRage2007 said:


Quote:


You don't use the 6th pick in the draft on your 2nd favorite QB.



Are you sure about this? What if you have both QBs about equally rated? Like that year, the Giants probably had several qbs about equal and perhaps could have taken either one if Barkley were taken first in the draft. In other words, I donít necessarily think you canít like more than one.



True. I suppose if the gap is small then maybe, but clearly I donít think they are taking a qb at #6 regardless of who is taken before him. If 3 other qb go in the top 5 then ... you know what I mean.

On the other hand, if you absolutely LOVE a qb (like Eli) then you trade up and get him. Donít mess around.
ďWeak QB ClassĒ  
Mike in NJ : 1/2/2019 4:16 pm : link
At this point in each of the last 2 seasons people barely had first round grades on Mahomes and Mayfield. Hell, 2 weeks before the draft most viewed both of those guys as being valued outside of the top 10. There is a lot that can happen between now and April, itís possible that the way these QBs are graded changes drastically between now and the draft.
...be prepared  
Adam G in Big D : 1/2/2019 7:11 pm : link
for the NY Giants to select whichever QB won the MVP at the Senior Bowl.
Haskins  
Jim in Fairfax : 1/3/2019 1:18 am : link
Is the only QB you can make an argument for as high as #6. So it comes down to whether the Giants like him and if heís still available.
RE: Haskins  
5BowlsSoon : 1/3/2019 10:00 am : link
In comment 14245429 Jim in Fairfax said:
Quote:
Is the only QB you can make an argument for as high as #6. So it comes down to whether the Giants like him and if heís still available.


You know from now till April things can change. Workouts, combine, etc.....guys who were not talked about much could all,of a sudden be made out to be upcoming darlings. The hype for qbs can be insane.
The point of the thread  
5BowlsSoon : 1/3/2019 10:03 am : link
I believe is a good one. I believe there is a 50% chance a qb is taken before it is our turn to draft at 6. So, is the number two guy on our qb board, assuming our number one qb guy was taken, is the number two guy valued almost as high (pretty much an equal) to the number one guy? If not, do we then pass and move on to another guy (BPA)?
There are other ways to get a QB other than the draft  
AnnapolisMike : 1/3/2019 10:10 am : link
yes you pay. But with the talent already here, that might be the way to go or you stick with an aging Eli hoping you can protect him.
Back to the Corner