Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Pat Shurmur: "I'm fond of a QB that can move around...

nyjuggernaut2 : 1/2/2019 5:11 pm
one who can extend a play and a drive are important, and that's what you get these days getting a new one."

This was his response to a question Mike Francesca asked him in regards to Eli and how important having a mobile QB is to running his offense. Shurmur also mentioned the zone read and how having an elusive QB brings that dimension to an offense.

It's going to be interesting to see what the Giants do this offseason at the QB position.

Tom Brady -  
Stan in LA : 1/2/2019 5:12 pm : link
"Really?"
Interesting  
Marty866b : 1/2/2019 5:15 pm : link
Is the handwriting on the wall?
I listened to the same interview  
Diver_Down : 1/2/2019 5:15 pm : link
and your premise of the thread is selective quoting to perhaps suit your preferences. He also said that it was important to be a pocket passer.
RE: I listened to the same interview  
Diver_Down : 1/2/2019 5:16 pm : link
In comment 14244849 Diver_Down said:
Quote:
and your premise of the thread is selective quoting to perhaps suit your preferences. He also said that it was important to be a pocket passer.


Someone can link the the segment in this thread for others to listen. I'm busy listening to Eli on currently.
One more interesting comment he made  
nyjuggernaut2 : 1/2/2019 5:17 pm : link
was when he started talking about Saquon he said that not only is he a great player, but a great leader who moving forward can be a great example to the young players who are 15 years removed from Eli. He can show those players what it's like being a pro and how you handle yourself day in and day out.
RE: I listened to the same interview  
CalZone : 1/2/2019 5:18 pm : link
In comment 14244849 Diver_Down said:
Quote:
and your premise of the thread is selective quoting to perhaps suit your preferences. He also said that it was important to be a pocket passer.


Yep. Way too selective:

"I'm fond of QBs that can move around, but you have to be able to throw the ball from the pocket to have success in the league."
Here you  
Peter from NH (formerly CT) : 1/2/2019 5:18 pm : link
go
Shurmer - ( New Window )
Hopefully, someone will link the segment.  
Diver_Down : 1/2/2019 5:19 pm : link
It was a good listen. Eli is on now.
RE: I listened to the same interview  
BlueHurricane : 1/2/2019 5:19 pm : link
In comment 14244849 Diver_Down said:
Quote:
and your premise of the thread is selective quoting to perhaps suit your preferences. He also said that it was important to be a pocket passer.


This.

He also said you win from the pocket and that Eli can still get it done but you have to play his brand and protect him.
Here's a link to the interview...  
nyjuggernaut2 : 1/2/2019 5:20 pm : link
The discussion of Eli and the QB position starts around the 10:20 mark.
Shurmur Interview on the FAN - ( New Window )
The mobile QB discussion starts around the 12:10 mark  
nyjuggernaut2 : 1/2/2019 5:22 pm : link
.
Makes sense  
jeff57 : 1/2/2019 5:23 pm : link
Any time you can add a new dimension to the offense it helps.
RE: I listened to the same interview  
MBavaro : 1/2/2019 5:24 pm : link
In comment 14244849 Diver_Down said:
Quote:
and your premise of the thread is selective quoting to perhaps suit your preferences. He also said that it was important to be a pocket passer.


Not really. Even by adding "you win from the pocket", he's still describing all the top QBs in the league not named Tom and Eli.

Hell, even The Rapist has more elusiveness than Eli, if not just because of his size.
RE: RE: I listened to the same interview  
Diver_Down : 1/2/2019 5:27 pm : link
In comment 14244867 MBavaro said:
Quote:
In comment 14244849 Diver_Down said:


Quote:


and your premise of the thread is selective quoting to perhaps suit your preferences. He also said that it was important to be a pocket passer.



Not really. Even by adding "you win from the pocket", he's still describing all the top QBs in the league not named Tom and Eli.

Hell, even The Rapist has more elusiveness than Eli, if not just because of his size.


Then how come Shurmur said (not in this interview but the end of season presser) that they had more naked boots and designed rollouts for Eli than he has done his entire professional career? Seems odd to design/call plays leveraging a skillset that BBI says Manning doesn't have. Hmmmm...
RE: Tom Brady -  
geepeegee : 1/2/2019 5:34 pm : link
In comment 14244843 Stan in LA said:
Quote:
"Really?"


It's hard to compare Brady and Eli because of the olines, but Brady moves around pretty well in the pocket. He does avoid defenders, but no one would call him a mobile QB.
The league is changing  
UberAlias : 1/2/2019 5:59 pm : link
Having guys who can move around extend plays and turn up big plays down field is a big reason thereís more scoring now. Mobile QBs can help offset pass rush and compensate for OLine deficiencies which are nearly impossible to eliminate without massive investment.

In terms of Brady, they do it differently in NE. They spread you out with quick receivers with sure hands who run precise routes and can take the tough hit without dropping the ball. The ball comes out quick and timing is tough to stop. They take shots down field, but scheme their opportunities.
A coach is fond of a QB  
B in ALB : 1/2/2019 6:05 pm : link
who can move around?

OH MY GOD!!! THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL!!! ELI IS GOING TO RETIRE!!! WHAT WILL WE DOOOOOOOOOO!

FOLES! BRISSETTE! BRIDGEWATER! LOL!ETTA!

ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!

Great job by the OP to take the quote out of context. Well done.

Good lord.
Yes and you can be all those things. There's a difference between  
Blue21 : 1/2/2019 6:24 pm : link
being able to run and a QB that runs too much.
RE: A coach is fond of a QB  
nyjuggernaut2 : 1/2/2019 6:26 pm : link
In comment 14244907 B in ALB said:
Quote:
who can move around?

OH MY GOD!!! THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL!!! ELI IS GOING TO RETIRE!!! WHAT WILL WE DOOOOOOOOOO!

FOLES! BRISSETTE! BRIDGEWATER! LOL!ETTA!

ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!

Great job by the OP to take the quote out of context. Well done.

Good lord.


Whether it's out of context or not, the writing is in fact on the wall, just open your damn eyes...Alex Tanney will lead this franchise to greener pastures!
Alex Tanney  
B in ALB : 1/2/2019 6:56 pm : link
Is the guy. I knew it!
Something  
TommyWiseau : 1/2/2019 7:10 pm : link
tells me he is really going to like Daniel Jones. Reports had him liking Josh Allen out of all of the QBs who came out this year due to his arm strength and mobility.
RE: Alex Tanney  
Diver_Down : 1/2/2019 7:12 pm : link
In comment 14244976 B in ALB said:
Quote:
Is the guy. I knew it!


Yep. I look forward to Trick-Shot Tanney bouncing the Duke off the parabolic microphone on the sideline into the hands of OBJ.
Shurmur recently  
bc4life : 1/2/2019 7:14 pm : link
talked about how Eli hasn't rolled out as much since he played in college.

Big thing with Shurmur is establishing a dominant run game to make play action effective - he is constantly repeating that theme
Every coach is fond of a QB that can extend a play and move around  
Peter from NH (formerly CT) : 1/2/2019 7:21 pm : link
the pocket. That would be pretty obvious. But the first priority is throwing an accurate pass to the right receiver at the right time. A third priority is to stay on the field. The number of QBs that can do all those things (or any of those things) is somewhat limited.
If we want a dominant run game  
Ike#88 : 1/2/2019 7:23 pm : link
we need a better blocking TE. If we want to win in the future Eli will not be the QB.
RE: Shurmur recently  
Diver_Down : 1/2/2019 7:34 pm : link
In comment 14244993 bc4life said:
Quote:
talked about how Eli hasn't rolled out as much since he played in college.

Big thing with Shurmur is establishing a dominant run game to make play action effective - he is constantly repeating that theme


To clarify (I know what you meant, but it reads odd) - the designed naked boots and rollouts were executed with greater frequency "to change the launch point" than any point in his professional career. The last time he has done it as frequently was at Ole Miss.
thanks  
bc4life : 1/2/2019 7:37 pm : link
you're right
Gil Brandt, the vice president of player personnel for the Cowboys  
Reese's Pieces : 1/2/2019 8:28 pm : link
1960 to 1989, writes an annual "worst to first" article in which he takes the eight last place finishers and ranks their ability to finish first next season.

Gil, who writes for NFL.com, has always been considered to be one of the premier talent evaluators in the league, but he is getting older.

He picked the Giants to be the 2nd most likely to win its division next year.

Surprising to me, he thinks that Manning has two good years left in him and the Giants should assemble some more good players around him.

Manning didn't play especially poorly in 2018. - ( New Window )
Some of you talk like this was rocket surgery  
Bill in UT : 1/2/2019 8:57 pm : link
yes, you want a guy who is a strong pocket passer, but, if the pocket collapses, you also want that guy to be able to escape and make a play out of the pocket.
How many Super Bowl winning QBs ...  
Manny in CA : 1/2/2019 11:19 pm : link

Have been "mobile QBs" ?

I can only think of two Steve Young & Russell Wilson.

RE: Some of you talk like this was rocket surgery  
GeofromNJ : 1/3/2019 1:06 am : link
In comment 14245196 Bill in UT said:
Quote:
yes, you want a guy who is a strong pocket passer, but, if the pocket collapses, you also want that guy to be able to escape and make a play out of the pocket.

"rocket surgery" - I think you started a trend. I like it. Well done.
RE: RE: Some of you talk like this was rocket surgery  
Beer Man : 1/3/2019 6:33 am : link
In comment 14245425 GeofromNJ said:
Quote:
In comment 14245196 Bill in UT said:


Quote:


yes, you want a guy who is a strong pocket passer, but, if the pocket collapses, you also want that guy to be able to escape and make a play out of the pocket.


"rocket surgery" - I think you started a trend. I like it. Well done.
I would have said "Brain Science"
It isnít that Eli canít move around, but he canít escape a collapsing  
Ivan15 : 1/3/2019 10:16 am : link
pocket.

He does okay on planned rollouts.
What the heck is rocket surgery? Does it cure a brain fart?  
Ivan15 : 1/3/2019 10:20 am : link
.
I'm sure he also likes  
PaulBlakeTSU : 1/3/2019 11:00 am : link
wide receivers who are fast, too. Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.63 40. All-time great receiver. Wouldn't it be even better if he ran a 4.2 40?
Heís made  
Les in TO : 1/3/2019 11:30 am : link
The QBs who can make plays off schedule remark earlier this year
Utt oh ....  
short lease : 1/4/2019 3:18 am : link
kid of a telling statement?
RE: Interesting  
short lease : 1/12/2019 3:32 am : link
In comment 14244848 Marty866b said:
Quote:
Is the handwriting on the wall?


Yep, they are going to trade him to Kansas City ... wait a minute that was the 49ers and Joe Montana.

Aha - I have it - he's going to Jacksonville.
RE: RE: RE: I listened to the same interview  
EricJ : 1/12/2019 7:33 am : link
In comment 14244871 Diver_Down said:
Quote:


Then how come Shurmur said (not in this interview but the end of season presser) that they had more naked boots and designed rollouts for Eli than he has done his entire professional career? Seems odd to design/call plays leveraging a skillset that BBI says Manning doesn't have. Hmmmm...


No, it is not odd. You still need to call those plays so the defenses have something else to prepare for. Does not matter whether Eli can be highly successful at naked boots. One of the many mistakes that prior OCs have done was to make it easier for defenses by the limitations of the play calling.

It is no different than an occasional fake punt. If you do it 2 times per season, then the opposing special teams will absolutely change the way they come after your punter. Side note - we had Brad Maynard who apparently ran a 4.5 or something close to that and we never attempted it a single time with him back there.
RE: RE: RE: RE: I listened to the same interview  
Diver_Down : 1/12/2019 8:20 am : link
In comment 14259206 EricJ said:
Quote:
In comment 14244871 Diver_Down said:


Quote:




Then how come Shurmur said (not in this interview but the end of season presser) that they had more naked boots and designed rollouts for Eli than he has done his entire professional career? Seems odd to design/call plays leveraging a skillset that BBI says Manning doesn't have. Hmmmm...



No, it is not odd. You still need to call those plays so the defenses have something else to prepare for. Does not matter whether Eli can be highly successful at naked boots. One of the many mistakes that prior OCs have done was to make it easier for defenses by the limitations of the play calling.

It is no different than an occasional fake punt. If you do it 2 times per season, then the opposing special teams will absolutely change the way they come after your punter. Side note - we had Brad Maynard who apparently ran a 4.5 or something close to that and we never attempted it a single time with him back there.


Your sarcasm detector must be off.
RE: Gil Brandt, the vice president of player personnel for the Cowboys  
Jimmy Googs : 1/12/2019 8:27 am : link
In comment 14245125 Reese's Pieces said:
Quote:
Manning didn't play especially poorly in 2018. - ( New Window )


now there's a sentence that will prop you up...
Back to the Corner