Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Giants GM doesn’t see a future for Eli Manning: ex-teammate

GFAN52 : 1/3/2019 1:15 pm
Quote:
“He’s saying he doesn’t see a future for Eli,” Herzlich told CBS Sports Radio’s “Taz & The Moose” show Thursday morning. “He wanted to stay as noncommittal as he possibly could, but you could tell he let his emotions kind of get in the way a little bit.”

Link - ( New Window )
Pages: 1 2 | Show All |  Next>>
Of all people to get into the business of giving his opinion  
Ten Ton Hammer : 1/3/2019 1:17 pm : link
I wouldn't think it would be Honorary Mara Mark Herzlich.
Herzlich doesn’t know  
Ben in Tampa : 1/3/2019 1:17 pm : link
shit
Herzlich knows more than  
Ryan in Albany : 1/3/2019 1:19 pm : link
any of you, that's for sure.
Lol  
UberAlias : 1/3/2019 1:23 pm : link
Herzlich was the best they could find to offer insight into the statement? How random. I love how they justify it —he should know because he was let go by the GM too, lol.
Speculation by MH  
Pep22 : 1/3/2019 1:23 pm : link
but let's hope he's right
Guess he couldn’t resist  
K-Gun? Pop-Gun : 1/3/2019 1:24 pm : link
the lucre pulling him away from the high road.
Gettlemen is a little more subtle than that  
Vanzetti : 1/3/2019 1:25 pm : link
Giants fans are split on Eli for next season, so whatever DG decides, it will creat an uproar among one side or another.

I think he already knows what he is going to do, and all that stuff about having to watch tape, is just due diligence
He's just giving an opinion  
Gman11 : 1/3/2019 1:25 pm : link
from the presser just like a lot of people here. Just because he's a former teammate doesn't give his opinion any more validity.

However, when asked about Beckham, Gettleman said, "We didn't sign him to trade him." When asked about Eli he said, "We're going to do what is best for the Giants."

So, I can see where Herzlich's opinion has some merit. He was definite that they were keeping Beckham, but gave a "we'll see" when asked about Eli. If you're a parent you know that 9 times out of 10 we'll see means no.
Taz & The Moose?  
Pete in MD : 1/3/2019 1:26 pm : link
That almost sounds made up.
hmmmm  
Greg from LI : 1/3/2019 1:26 pm : link
What does Chase Blackburn think about it?
I think Herzlich  
Andy in Boston : 1/3/2019 1:28 pm : link
is dead wrong.
Doesn't matter so much If he's right or wrong  
BillT : 1/3/2019 1:33 pm : link
It only matters what Gettleman's plan is. Let go of Eli. Fine. Who do you have to replace him with. Keep Eli. Fine. Who are you getting to support him. And even if he does keep Eli he's 38 so "seeing a future for him" is a relative term in any case.
RE: Herzlich knows more than  
Jim in Tampa : 1/3/2019 1:36 pm : link
In comment 14246053 Ryan in Albany said:
Quote:
any of you, that's for sure.

Exactly.

That's the way it works on BBI.

When a current or ex, player or coach, or even a beat writer shares their INFORMED opinion, and posters don't like what they hear, they immediately try to discredit the source.
Yeah, I think  
Pete in MD : 1/3/2019 1:36 pm : link
some people are reading too much into it. Beckham is in his prime and just signed a 5 year extension. Eli is at the end of his career and has one year left on his contract. DG's answers made complete sense. The Beckham decision was made when they re-signed him. The Eli decision is TBD.
What kind of insight is that? No future for Eli?  
BlueLou'sBack : 1/3/2019 1:37 pm : link
Well if by future he means 2-3 or more years, we all knew that already, no?
Herzlich  
McNally's_Nuts : 1/3/2019 1:38 pm : link
knows.

He was on the team for way longer that he should have been as well.
RE: RE: Herzlich knows more than  
arcarsenal : 1/3/2019 1:40 pm : link
In comment 14246090 Jim in Tampa said:
Quote:
In comment 14246053 Ryan in Albany said:


Quote:


any of you, that's for sure.


Exactly.

That's the way it works on BBI.

When a current or ex, player or coach, or even a beat writer shares their INFORMED opinion, and posters don't like what they hear, they immediately try to discredit the source.


Why does Herzlich know more than we do? He's never played for a team that Dave Gettleman was GM of and I can't imagine he has any relationship with him. Why would he have any idea how he's going to handle the Eli situation?
So Mark Herzlich  
Mike from Ohio : 1/3/2019 1:40 pm : link
is guessing at what Gettleman meant at his press conference?

Can someone remind me why that is in the least bit newsworthy? Herzlich was cut by Gettleman. It's not like he's his close friend or right hand man. He's just a guy that used to play for the Giants.
Does anybody see a future in a 38 YO skittish pocket QB....  
MOOPS : 1/3/2019 1:40 pm : link
who has one year left on his contract and plays behind a porous OL?
Maybe he finishes out his contract if no FA look like an improvement (better than even odds), but no more after 19. We've got to move on.
Remember about a year ago  
mrvax : 1/3/2019 1:41 pm : link
when an ex-NFL player swore up and down that Belichick was headed to the Giants?
Herzlich  
AcidTest : 1/3/2019 1:42 pm : link
has no special insight. He's on a radio show to give his opinion. Fine, but that's all it is.
the  
Steve in Greenwich : 1/3/2019 1:42 pm : link
lack of "committing" one way or another to me meant 100% that the decision is in Eli's hands. To me its evident that were either seeing a "We'll take you back at a reduced rate" and waiting on whether Eli will accept that pay decrease or we're waiting on the fact that Gettleman told Eli there's a good chance we still are not very good next year and Eli is deciding on whether or not he wants to play another year on a potentially losing team. One thing you can say about Gettleman is that he doesn't lack decisiveness. If everything was in his hands right now we would already know the outcome. If he made up his mind that he doesn't see Eli as the Giants QB anymore I think we would have already heard it.
RE: RE: Herzlich knows more than  
Bill L : 1/3/2019 1:53 pm : link
In comment 14246090 Jim in Tampa said:
Quote:
In comment 14246053 Ryan in Albany said:


Quote:


any of you, that's for sure.


Exactly.

That's the way it works on BBI.

When a current or ex, player or coach, or even a beat writer shares their INFORMED opinion, and posters don't like what they hear, they immediately try to discredit the source.


A jeezus...as if people don't equally know that, likewise, *any* statement which validates your pre-existing viewpoint is from an authoritative source.
RE: RE: RE: Herzlich knows more than  
ThatLimerickGuy : 1/3/2019 1:55 pm : link
In comment 14246095 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
In comment 14246090 Jim in Tampa said:


Quote:


In comment 14246053 Ryan in Albany said:


Quote:


any of you, that's for sure.


Exactly.

That's the way it works on BBI.

When a current or ex, player or coach, or even a beat writer shares their INFORMED opinion, and posters don't like what they hear, they immediately try to discredit the source.



Why does Herzlich know more than we do? He's never played for a team that Dave Gettleman was GM of and I can't imagine he has any relationship with him. Why would he have any idea how he's going to handle the Eli situation?


Actually not true. Herzlich was signed by Gettleman in March and was part of the September final cuts this year.

RE: RE: RE: RE: Herzlich knows more than  
arcarsenal : 1/3/2019 2:00 pm : link
In comment 14246124 ThatLimerickGuy said:
Quote:
In comment 14246095 arcarsenal said:


Quote:


In comment 14246090 Jim in Tampa said:


Quote:


In comment 14246053 Ryan in Albany said:


Quote:


any of you, that's for sure.


Exactly.

That's the way it works on BBI.

When a current or ex, player or coach, or even a beat writer shares their INFORMED opinion, and posters don't like what they hear, they immediately try to discredit the source.



Why does Herzlich know more than we do? He's never played for a team that Dave Gettleman was GM of and I can't imagine he has any relationship with him. Why would he have any idea how he's going to handle the Eli situation?



Actually not true. Herzlich was signed by Gettleman in March and was part of the September final cuts this year.


Not true?

Which football team was Dave Gettleman GM of that Mark Herzlich actually played for? All Gettleman did was cut him here. Herzlich played zero downs and there's no reason why he would be privy to any information that others wouldn't.
I would find it more odd  
mattyblue : 1/3/2019 2:01 pm : link
if that wasn’t true. Why would Herzlich bother saying something like that unless that is what he heard? It may not be known now but it seems like everyone will know if that’s the case in time.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Herzlich knows more than  
ThatLimerickGuy : 1/3/2019 2:03 pm : link
In comment 14246131 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
In comment 14246124 ThatLimerickGuy said:


Quote:


In comment 14246095 arcarsenal said:


Quote:


In comment 14246090 Jim in Tampa said:


Quote:


In comment 14246053 Ryan in Albany said:


Quote:


any of you, that's for sure.


Exactly.

That's the way it works on BBI.

When a current or ex, player or coach, or even a beat writer shares their INFORMED opinion, and posters don't like what they hear, they immediately try to discredit the source.



Why does Herzlich know more than we do? He's never played for a team that Dave Gettleman was GM of and I can't imagine he has any relationship with him. Why would he have any idea how he's going to handle the Eli situation?



Actually not true. Herzlich was signed by Gettleman in March and was part of the September final cuts this year.




Not true?

Which football team was Dave Gettleman GM of that Mark Herzlich actually played for? All Gettleman did was cut him here. Herzlich played zero downs and there's no reason why he would be privy to any information that others wouldn't.


Well he signed him and cut him and there was a 6 month window in between those two.

I dont know what their relationship was in those 6 months, do you?

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Herzlich knows more than  
arcarsenal : 1/3/2019 2:06 pm : link
In comment 14246138 ThatLimerickGuy said:
Quote:
In comment 14246131 arcarsenal said:


Quote:


In comment 14246124 ThatLimerickGuy said:


Quote:


In comment 14246095 arcarsenal said:


Quote:


In comment 14246090 Jim in Tampa said:


Quote:


In comment 14246053 Ryan in Albany said:


Quote:


any of you, that's for sure.


Exactly.

That's the way it works on BBI.

When a current or ex, player or coach, or even a beat writer shares their INFORMED opinion, and posters don't like what they hear, they immediately try to discredit the source.



Why does Herzlich know more than we do? He's never played for a team that Dave Gettleman was GM of and I can't imagine he has any relationship with him. Why would he have any idea how he's going to handle the Eli situation?



Actually not true. Herzlich was signed by Gettleman in March and was part of the September final cuts this year.




Not true?

Which football team was Dave Gettleman GM of that Mark Herzlich actually played for? All Gettleman did was cut him here. Herzlich played zero downs and there's no reason why he would be privy to any information that others wouldn't.



Well he signed him and cut him and there was a 6 month window in between those two.

I dont know what their relationship was in those 6 months, do you?


Seeing as Gettleman was busy dealing with cancer treatment at the time and we're discussing a crappy back end roster piece who didn't even make the team and wasn't picked up anywhere else... I'm going to go ahead and assume that the two of them didn't spend any time discussing Eli Manning's future or really anything regarding Gettleman's plans as GM.
Even if Gettleman knew the decision  
Giants38 : 1/3/2019 2:06 pm : link
That doesn’t mean he’d announce it. He could have informed Eli they will not be bringing him back but give him the option of retiring first, if he chooses to go that route. It’s not so simple.

I don’t think he’s made a decision. He may be evaluating the QB prospects now. He may have preliminary grades on them, but watching more tape may cause him to fall in love with one.

We aren’t picking at 1 or 2 this year, because if we were it would be a slam dunk we’d be taking Bosa or Quinnen Williams.
Agree that the decision at this point may be Eli's.  
CT Charlie : 1/3/2019 2:10 pm : link
I think he'd like to pass Johnny Unitas on the all-time wins list, which requires only two more wins, and perhaps reach 125. But a terrible season could give him a losing career record (he's 116-106) which would hurt his chances for the HOF. Right now, I think he's trying to figure out how much passion he still has. I think he stays, and we find his replacement this off-season.
Not for nothing but  
gidiefor : Mod : 1/3/2019 2:15 pm : link
I seriously doubt that Gettlemen would share something like this with Hertzlich or anyone other than Management right now; and it is disingenuous of Hertzlich to imply that he knows this

I could be wrong  
Sammo85 : 1/3/2019 2:17 pm : link
But I could swear Herzlich was on good terms and friends with Eli. I had thought he was involved in some of Eli’s charitable efforts locally.
Herzlich clearly has compromising info on the Maras.  
since1925 : 1/3/2019 2:17 pm : link
How else can one explain his lengthy tenure with the Giants, it certainly wasn't based on ability.

I take anything he says as coming directly from the owners box.
Lets say  
Pete in MD : 1/3/2019 2:18 pm : link
Herzlich is Eli's best friend and Eli told him what was said in the private meeting with Gettleman, do you think Eli would be cool with Herzlich gabbing about it a few days later with Taz and Moose?
RE: RE: Herzlich knows more than  
BillKo : 1/3/2019 2:19 pm : link
In comment 14246090 Jim in Tampa said:
Quote:
In comment 14246053 Ryan in Albany said:


Quote:


any of you, that's for sure.


Exactly.

That's the way it works on BBI.

When a current or ex, player or coach, or even a beat writer shares their INFORMED opinion, and posters don't like what they hear, they immediately try to discredit the source.


hehe...was thinking the same thing!
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Herzlich knows more than  
ThatLimerickGuy : 1/3/2019 2:23 pm : link
In comment 14246140 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
In comment 14246138 ThatLimerickGuy said:


Quote:


In comment 14246131 arcarsenal said:


Quote:


In comment 14246124 ThatLimerickGuy said:


Quote:


In comment 14246095 arcarsenal said:


Quote:


In comment 14246090 Jim in Tampa said:


Quote:


In comment 14246053 Ryan in Albany said:


Quote:


any of you, that's for sure.


Exactly.

That's the way it works on BBI.

When a current or ex, player or coach, or even a beat writer shares their INFORMED opinion, and posters don't like what they hear, they immediately try to discredit the source.



Why does Herzlich know more than we do? He's never played for a team that Dave Gettleman was GM of and I can't imagine he has any relationship with him. Why would he have any idea how he's going to handle the Eli situation?



Actually not true. Herzlich was signed by Gettleman in March and was part of the September final cuts this year.




Not true?

Which football team was Dave Gettleman GM of that Mark Herzlich actually played for? All Gettleman did was cut him here. Herzlich played zero downs and there's no reason why he would be privy to any information that others wouldn't.



Well he signed him and cut him and there was a 6 month window in between those two.

I dont know what their relationship was in those 6 months, do you?




Seeing as Gettleman was busy dealing with cancer treatment at the time and we're discussing a crappy back end roster piece who didn't even make the team and wasn't picked up anywhere else... I'm going to go ahead and assume that the two of them didn't spend any time discussing Eli Manning's future or really anything regarding Gettleman's plans as GM.


Didn't you spend literally all day yesterday trying to chastise me for putting forth opinion as fact (when I wasn't even doing that)? It's just funny that you know what information Herzlich has now for a fact and that it is nothing more than you or I have.

Interesting twist of fate when the shoe is on the other foot.

Carry on and have a blessed day.
I will wait  
Joey in VA : 1/3/2019 2:25 pm : link
Until Moses Regular or Jonas Seawright weigh in thank you very much.
RE: I will wait  
McNally's_Nuts : 1/3/2019 2:28 pm : link
In comment 14246175 Joey in VA said:
Quote:
Until Moses Regular or Jonas Seawright weigh in thank you very much.


It's not true unless Anthony Mix gives his opinion to Chris Canty about this.
RE: Taz & The Moose?  
jnoble : 1/3/2019 2:29 pm : link
In comment 14246065 Pete in MD said:
Quote:
That almost sounds made up.


That's such a hacky name for a radio show
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Herzlich knows more than  
arcarsenal : 1/3/2019 2:30 pm : link
In comment 14246172 ThatLimerickGuy said:
Quote:
In comment 14246140 arcarsenal said:


Quote:


In comment 14246138 ThatLimerickGuy said:


Quote:


In comment 14246131 arcarsenal said:


Quote:


In comment 14246124 ThatLimerickGuy said:


Quote:


In comment 14246095 arcarsenal said:


Quote:


In comment 14246090 Jim in Tampa said:


Quote:


In comment 14246053 Ryan in Albany said:


Quote:


any of you, that's for sure.


Exactly.

That's the way it works on BBI.

When a current or ex, player or coach, or even a beat writer shares their INFORMED opinion, and posters don't like what they hear, they immediately try to discredit the source.



Why does Herzlich know more than we do? He's never played for a team that Dave Gettleman was GM of and I can't imagine he has any relationship with him. Why would he have any idea how he's going to handle the Eli situation?



Actually not true. Herzlich was signed by Gettleman in March and was part of the September final cuts this year.




Not true?

Which football team was Dave Gettleman GM of that Mark Herzlich actually played for? All Gettleman did was cut him here. Herzlich played zero downs and there's no reason why he would be privy to any information that others wouldn't.



Well he signed him and cut him and there was a 6 month window in between those two.

I dont know what their relationship was in those 6 months, do you?




Seeing as Gettleman was busy dealing with cancer treatment at the time and we're discussing a crappy back end roster piece who didn't even make the team and wasn't picked up anywhere else... I'm going to go ahead and assume that the two of them didn't spend any time discussing Eli Manning's future or really anything regarding Gettleman's plans as GM.



Didn't you spend literally all day yesterday trying to chastise me for putting forth opinion as fact (when I wasn't even doing that)? It's just funny that you know what information Herzlich has now for a fact and that it is nothing more than you or I have.

Interesting twist of fate when the shoe is on the other foot.

Carry on and have a blessed day.


And with that - it remains clear that you still haven't figured out the difference between opinion and fact.

I said I am going to assume that Dave Gettleman was not spending time discussing the future of his franchise QB with a camp body who was never going to even make the team. I think it's a more logical assumption to make than the contrary. I didn't say anything was factual. I'm telling you what I think. Incredible that you're still struggling with such a basic concept.

I tried to not be a dick to you yesterday, but you make it really really hard. You're an extremely irritating person to try discussing virtually anything with.

Have a blessed day, dipshit.
He knows what the difference is  
Ten Ton Hammer : 1/3/2019 2:32 pm : link
He's just a troll.
.  
arcarsenal : 1/3/2019 2:32 pm : link
If I wanted to frame my opinion as a fact, I'd say...

"Dave Gettleman did not discuss anything regarding Eli Manning with Mark Herzlich"

or, like you did yesterday, say...

"Odell Beckham doesn't care about the Giants"

Those are opinions stated as facts. Saying I am assuming something is me telling you that it's my opinion.

Let me know when this makes sense to you. I feel like I'm trying to speak to a child.
RE: He knows what the difference is  
arcarsenal : 1/3/2019 2:34 pm : link
In comment 14246184 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
He's just a troll.


I can't decide which is more pathetic. Actually not understanding the difference, or being so bored to troll a message board over a premise like this. Either way, it's no surprise that everyone who interacts with this guy has the same general reaction.
Taz as in the ECW wrestler?  
moespree : 1/3/2019 2:37 pm : link
He does a sports talk radio show? What the hell?
Anthony Mix, wow.  
bceagle05 : 1/3/2019 2:39 pm : link
That's one hell of a reference, McNally.
I don't know why  
rocco8112 : 1/3/2019 2:40 pm : link
this guy would have any real insight. But, that doesn't mean he is wrong. This is the end of the road for Eli in blue.

If they wanted him to QB next year why the delay? What is there to analyze and decide?
RE: Anthony Mix, wow.  
McNally's_Nuts : 1/3/2019 2:42 pm : link
In comment 14246194 bceagle05 said:
Quote:
That's one hell of a reference, McNally.


I lurked for years before joining this site!

I know my pre-season picks for MVP.

I also remember when Herzlich, Jaquian Williams and Spencer Paysinger were THE FUTURE at linebacker.
RE: RE: He knows what the difference is  
ThatLimerickGuy : 1/3/2019 2:43 pm : link
In comment 14246187 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
In comment 14246184 Ten Ton Hammer said:


Quote:


He's just a troll.



I can't decide which is more pathetic. Actually not understanding the difference, or being so bored to troll a message board over a premise like this. Either way, it's no surprise that everyone who interacts with this guy has the same general reaction.


It is just ironic that is all. Before I called it to your attention your comment was:

"Herzlich played zero downs and there's no reason why he would be privy to any information that others wouldn't."

I don't see where you say that you "assume" that he has no reason.....or "I believe that there is no reason"

What is good for the goose is apparently not good for the gander that's all.

I actually don't think there is anything wrong with what you wrote. It is a message board it is obviously your opinion. Unless you are secretly Mark Herzlich or Dave Gettleman you can't know any of this as fact. Hence the point I was making yesterday- we all have our opinions. Yours is fine just like mine and I respect it.

Carry on.

This quote is sort  
ryanmkeane : 1/3/2019 2:45 pm : link
of dumb on its surface. Eli is 38...of course there is no "future" for him. 1 year? Perhaps. Future? No...and everyone knows that.
RE: Taz as in the ECW wrestler?  
Ten Ton Hammer : 1/3/2019 2:46 pm : link
In comment 14246192 moespree said:
Quote:
He does a sports talk radio show? What the hell?


He does, he's been in radio for quite some time, working his way up at a glacial pace.

Apparently the guy is a real douchebag in person.
Pages: 1 2 | Show All |  Next>>
Back to the Corner