Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Pretty incredible: Hopkins had no drops in 2018

Now Mike in MD : 1/4/2019 9:25 am
In 2018, Hopkins despite playing over 99 percent of snaps did not have a single dropped pass this year
Link - ( New Window )
People may not want to hear this...  
dep026 : 1/4/2019 9:26 am : link
but he has taken the reign as best WR in football. He's a bad bad man. He can route all the routes. He blocks. He never misses a play. And has made some crazy catches this year too.

Absolute stud WR.
he's a monster  
UConn4523 : 1/4/2019 9:26 am : link
this past offseason I had AB and Bekcham then Hopkins over Julio in the top 3 but I'm confident now that Hopkins has moved to the #1 WR in the league.
It is 24/7 sports..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 1/4/2019 9:34 am : link
which is not surprising to get the stat wrong.

Hopkins did have one drop if one were to look at other stat sites.

still really fucking impressive, though.
One of the more impressive things  
pjcas18 : 1/4/2019 9:37 am : link
about Hopkins is that the Texans run game has been mediocre, his opposite WR's (including Fuller, then Demaryius Thomas and others) have been injured or non-existent.

Will Fuller was 2nd in catches and yards with 32 for 503.

So basically it's like you have one job. stop Hopkins.

and it's still not easy, if even possible, to do.

that article is from Nov  
giants#1 : 1/4/2019 9:39 am : link
He may have still ended the year without a drop, but that didn't include the final month.

Not sure how he finished the year, but Michael Thomas was putting up some incredible numbers too. He finished the year catching an absurd 85% of his targets, but he was actually >90% through the first 10 games.

For reference, Hopkins shattered his career catch % this year bringing in 70.6% of his targets (never finished >60% before). Julio's career best is 69.5%. Tyreek Hill's career best 73.5%. Thielen's 75%. Brown's 84.2% as a rookie on 19 targets, 71.3% when he's actually seen volume. Barkley 75.2%. Beckham's best is 70.0%. Jerry Rice 74.2% (they don't have numbers pre-1992).

Only guy I found close to Thomas is Christian McCaffrey at a slightly higher 86.3% but he's a RB catching passes much closer to the LOS and often with looser coverage.
RE: One of the more impressive things  
giants#1 : 1/4/2019 9:42 am : link
In comment 14247012 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
about Hopkins is that the Texans run game has been mediocre, his opposite WR's (including Fuller, then Demaryius Thomas and others) have been injured or non-existent.

Will Fuller was 2nd in catches and yards with 32 for 503.

So basically it's like you have one job. stop Hopkins.

and it's still not easy, if even possible, to do.


Fuller was explosive in the games he played, granted it was only 7. But he had 4 TDs and 3 100+ yard games in those games.

And Watson's running ability draws some attention too.
Hopkins has to be considered the best in the league right now  
Dave in PA : 1/4/2019 10:01 am : link
Maybe the best since Calvin Johnsonís incredible prime. No disrespect to the play of Brown, Beckham or anyone else, but Hopkins is the best.
RE: RE: One of the more impressive things  
pjcas18 : 1/4/2019 10:19 am : link
In comment 14247019 giants#1 said:
Quote:
In comment 14247012 pjcas18 said:


Quote:


about Hopkins is that the Texans run game has been mediocre, his opposite WR's (including Fuller, then Demaryius Thomas and others) have been injured or non-existent.

Will Fuller was 2nd in catches and yards with 32 for 503.

So basically it's like you have one job. stop Hopkins.

and it's still not easy, if even possible, to do.




Fuller was explosive in the games he played, granted it was only 7. But he had 4 TDs and 3 100+ yard games in those games.

And Watson's running ability draws some attention too.


Not sure your point.

so the Texans played less than half a season with Fuller and he was held to just 2 catches in two of those 7 games and under 70 yards in 4 of the 7.

and sure, Watson's running draws some attention, but like I said the Texans running game (with Watson) is mediocre.

RE: It is 24/7 sports..  
Capt. Don : 1/4/2019 10:25 am : link
In comment 14247006 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
which is not surprising to get the stat wrong.

Hopkins did have one drop if one were to look at other stat sites.

still really fucking impressive, though.


Dropped passes is a subjective stat so I'm not sure we can definitively say they got it wrong.

But I agree with you and the OP. It is very impressive and I'm not going to argue with anyone who says he is the best. It is even more impressive bc he does it without elite physical traits.
point is  
giants#1 : 1/4/2019 10:30 am : link
that for almost half the season, stopping the Texans was more than just stopping Hopkins.

Just look at the Giants game. They did a reasonable job containing Hopkins (6 catches on 10 targets for 86 yards), but Fuller shredded them (5 catches 100 yds and a TD).

And their running game is better than you give them credit for. The finished 8th in rushing yds/game with 126.3 ypg. Their average was middle of the pack (17th), but they committed to the run even when it struggled, something many on BBI wanted more of since it causes the safeties/LBs to hesitate just a tad.

Hopkins was still their primary threat and the guy teams worried about (as he's been the last 3+ seasons), but it wasn't a one man show like Beckham and the 2016 Giants.
RE: point is  
pjcas18 : 1/4/2019 10:34 am : link
In comment 14247077 giants#1 said:
Quote:
that for almost half the season, stopping the Texans was more than just stopping Hopkins.

Just look at the Giants game. They did a reasonable job containing Hopkins (6 catches on 10 targets for 86 yards), but Fuller shredded them (5 catches 100 yds and a TD).

And their running game is better than you give them credit for. The finished 8th in rushing yds/game with 126.3 ypg. Their average was middle of the pack (17th), but they committed to the run even when it struggled, something many on BBI wanted more of since it causes the safeties/LBs to hesitate just a tad.

Hopkins was still their primary threat and the guy teams worried about (as he's been the last 3+ seasons), but it wasn't a one man show like Beckham and the 2016 Giants.


The Giants beat the Texans.

Dude is a beast...  
ryanmkeane : 1/4/2019 10:37 am : link
put a better OL on that team and Hopkins is borderline unstoppable.
RE: Dude is a beast...  
bw in dc : 1/4/2019 10:40 am : link
In comment 14247086 ryanmkeane said:
Quote:
put a better OL on that team and Hopkins is borderline unstoppable.


And good for him that he finally has a competent+ QB.

He doesn't have the explosiveness of an OBJ, but checks every other box.
RE: RE: Dude is a beast...  
dep026 : 1/4/2019 10:43 am : link
In comment 14247091 bw in dc said:
Quote:
In comment 14247086 ryanmkeane said:


Quote:


put a better OL on that team and Hopkins is borderline unstoppable.



And good for him that he finally has a competent+ QB.

He doesn't have the explosiveness of an OBJ, but checks every other box.


I am amazed how he gets behind defenders.... but surely enough - jsut about every game he is open deep.
RE: RE: point is  
giants#1 : 1/4/2019 10:47 am : link
In comment 14247081 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 14247077 giants#1 said:


Quote:


that for almost half the season, stopping the Texans was more than just stopping Hopkins.

Just look at the Giants game. They did a reasonable job containing Hopkins (6 catches on 10 targets for 86 yards), but Fuller shredded them (5 catches 100 yds and a TD).

And their running game is better than you give them credit for. The finished 8th in rushing yds/game with 126.3 ypg. Their average was middle of the pack (17th), but they committed to the run even when it struggled, something many on BBI wanted more of since it causes the safeties/LBs to hesitate just a tad.

Hopkins was still their primary threat and the guy teams worried about (as he's been the last 3+ seasons), but it wasn't a one man show like Beckham and the 2016 Giants.



The Giants beat the Texans.


Their offense still moved the ball and put up points.
Incredible talent  
Jay on the Island : 1/4/2019 10:59 am : link
How did he fall to the 27th pick? That was a terrible year for 1st round picks too.
Hopkins  
fanofthejets : 1/4/2019 11:03 am : link
Is it impressive? Yes of course, but the NFL (strategically of course to make sure these plays go viral) has really cheapened things with these sticky gloves they allow receivers to wear.

Great 1 handed catches used to be quite rare. Nowadays it happens almost multiple times a day a guy reaches out with one hand and the ball just sticks there.

To me this has cheapened incredible catches
Back to the Corner