Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Josh Allen from Kentucky is my wish for RD 1

DavidinBMNY : 1/6/2019 11:45 am
Has anyone else watched him play in games or his highlights? He seems like a 1 man wrecking crew. He creates all kinds of problems for the offense, and it doesn't seem like he has a lot of help. And he plays against a high level of competition. I am not an experienced talent evaluator, but I do not see how this guy can't immediately start for the Giants and make a huge impact.

Who do you want (outside of Haskins)?
Agreed  
Jay on the Island : 1/6/2019 11:46 am : link
Assuming Quinnen Williams is definitely gone Allen is at the top of my list. Josh Allen in round 1 with Tyree Jackson in round 2.
Mine too  
rasbutant : 1/6/2019 11:54 am : link
He will climb the boards.
I like the Clemson kid better  
GoBlue6599 : 1/6/2019 11:56 am : link
.
Heís likely off the board by the 6th pick  
BigBlueShock : 1/6/2019 11:56 am : link
I think he goes somewhere in the 2-4 range.
Williams will defnitely  
bc4life : 1/6/2019 11:58 am : link
be gone by 6, maybe Oliver too, and maybe Allen
If the Giants do not decide to go QB (i hope they dont as of now)  
superspynyg : 1/6/2019 11:59 am : link
my current top 3 are
DE Allen
OT William
ILB White
Derrick Brown DT from Auburn  
Earl the goat : 1/6/2019 12:00 pm : link
Maybe just as good if not better than Quinnen Williams
He will move up the board at the combine
Love Allen  
Rjanyg : 1/6/2019 12:01 pm : link
May favorite player in the draft followed by Ferrell. I am hoping one of them is available at pick 6. We need a pass rusher who can also set the edge. I like Zo Carter from the 2018 draft and pairing one of Allen or Ferrell with him is a nice pair of OLBís.
I am hoping that some team takes Haskins  
Jay on the Island : 1/6/2019 12:23 pm : link
before 6. I am 99.9% convinced that the Giants won't take him so that would allow one of the other top players to fall to them. I think that one of Josh Allen, Ed Oliver, Clelin Ferrell, will be there at 6 for the Giants. I would be very happy with any of them but in that order. I think the locks to go top 5 are Quinnen Williams, Bosa, and Greedy Williams.
Just based off of current roster construction, I think the following  
Saos1n : 1/6/2019 12:26 pm : link
Is likely.

1. Josh Allen
2. Clelin Ferrell
3. Greedy Williams
4. Dwayne Haskins
Championship Game  
Professor Falken : 1/6/2019 12:31 pm : link
tomorrow night. Will be great to see Clelin Ferrell vs. Jonah Williams.
RE: I am hoping that some team takes Haskins  
Jerry from Maine : 1/6/2019 12:32 pm : link
In comment 14249685 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
before 6. I am 99.9% convinced that the Giants won't take him so that would allow one of the other top players to fall to them. I think that one of Josh Allen, Ed Oliver, Clelin Ferrell, will be there at 6 for the Giants. I would be very happy with any of them but in that order. I think the locks to go top 5 are Quinnen Williams, Bosa, and Greedy Williams.
I couldn't agree more :)
i haven't seen a lot of Allen  
markky : 1/6/2019 12:34 pm : link
I've seen a lot of Ferrell. If Allen > Ferrell then sign me up.
I think  
GoDeep13 : 1/6/2019 12:34 pm : link
Josh Allen is exactly the player the Giants need now more than anything and is the best pick they could make in the 1st followed by Clelin Ferrell.

Another guy to look into is Carl Granderson from Wyoming. As it stands right now I think heíd go in the 3-4th round but the guy is legit.
Allen will not be there when Giants  
joeinpa : 1/6/2019 12:55 pm : link
Pick
My top 3 choices are  
DonnieD89 : 1/6/2019 1:40 pm : link
1. Josh Allen
2. Clelin Ferrell
3. Jonas Williams

I would be extremely surprised if all 3 were taken before the Giantsí pick. There is a part of me that wants Haskins, but I just donít think he is worth the pick. We are in excellent position without sacrificing draft picks. There is no need for trade up. I would not even consider trading down, given the talent available.
It depends on what we want  
GeorgeAdams33 : 1/6/2019 1:42 pm : link
There will be some great defensive players available. Allen would be my choice IF we want a true OLB. He is a lot like Lorenzo Carter, but on another level as far as his speed, agility, and coordination. Ferrell is a true 4-3 DE. He is not going to be able to handle plays in space as a LB. If we are replacing Vernon then Ferrell might be the guy for Bettcher's defense. If this were a true 4-3 I think we'd look to pair Allen & Carter, but if you look at what JB has been doing I might select a lineman who is playing upright and at other times puts his hand in the dirt. Allen is not an NFL DL.

The guy who has a very high ceiling is going to be DE-Rashan Gary out of Michigan. I like Allen & Ferrell, but if it came down to us wanting a true lineman who is an athletic freak of nature Gary is my guy. At 6-4 280 and running a 4.65 forty this guy could wreak havoc in Bettcher's D. At the six pick I am hoping that we get a game changer for the defense. If we stand pat we should have our choice, Allen, Gary, CB-Greedy Williams, or Haskins if we want to reach for a QB.

Watching Wilson & Prescott in the playoffs last night just made me think about the fact that they were selected in the 3rd and 4th round respectively. Shurmur is a QB friendly coach. I don't understand why everyone believes that we must draft a "franchise QB" or suffer in "QB hell" until we find one. All this "tank for Tua" talk is nauseating. I can't believe how people overvalue the QB position. Anyone that questions the Barkley pick must have a screw loose.
No brainer  
ryanmkeane : 1/6/2019 1:42 pm : link
if there at 6 and they don't view Haskins as the QB they want
Unlikely to be there  
jeff57 : 1/6/2019 1:44 pm : link
Most likely will be wearing a Jets or Raiders uniform.
I'm on board with any olineman or defensive layer they pick,  
SterlingArcher : 1/6/2019 1:47 pm : link
hopefully they pick at least 4 of them!
Derrick Brown going back to school  
jayg5 : 1/6/2019 1:51 pm : link
Iím a huge fan of Jeffrey Simmons
RE: Mine too  
Ssanders9816 : 1/6/2019 1:53 pm : link
In comment 14249646 rasbutant said:
Quote:
He will climb the boards.



He already has, may be a top 3 pick
I like Derrick Brown  
GeorgeAdams33 : 1/6/2019 1:55 pm : link
Unfortunately his name reminds me of the mistake we made drafting Notre Dame TE Derek Brown in 92'
Give up our 1st this year?  
Tim in JTown : 1/6/2019 2:03 pm : link
Josh Allen or Clelin Ferrell for me. Not sure Allen will last to 6. But if we pick there, it's gotta be one of those two.

I wonder, if there is in fact a willing trading partner, if we might end up trading our 1st rounder for a 1st and 3rd next year. QB class next year might be worth waiting for. We could then give up 3 firsts (2018, 2019, 2020) to get into a good draft position.
Allen  
cjac : 1/6/2019 2:09 pm : link
Is not making it past the Jets
Ferrell is also  
jeff57 : 1/6/2019 2:33 pm : link
One of my top 6 players. Heís be a real good pick if they donít Go QB.
The good thing about Bettcherís defensive scheme  
DonnieD89 : 1/6/2019 2:50 pm : link
is that a lot of these high first round candidates can fit well. As a previous poster had pointed out, Rashaan Gary would also be a good candidate. He has JJ Watt size and talent. Send
Wouldnt be upset at all..  
Dillon in Va : 1/6/2019 7:53 pm : link
with that said, one thing I noticed in the few games I watched of Allen, was that he tends to stop or move at half speed when the play is away from him. It will frustrate the fans at times.
Allen is my favorite  
Bluesbreaker : 1/6/2019 7:58 pm : link
Both Williams DT, LT from Bama Ferrell Edge
Not in the Haskins camp ..
DG has a history of drafting very good defensive players.  
TMS : 1/6/2019 8:02 pm : link
Not worried about his picks in that area. Think we will be thinking playoffs next year not in two three years. Eli will be back and we load up on the both lines in the draft and FA. MO
Hey Dillon  
Bill2 : 1/6/2019 8:10 pm : link
Happy New Year. Havent seen you around. Hope you are well
RE: It depends on what we want  
giantstock : 1/6/2019 9:19 pm : link
In comment 14249805 GeorgeAdams33 said:
Quote:
There will be some great defensive players available. Allen would be my choice IF we want a true OLB. He is a lot like Lorenzo Carter, but on another level as far as his speed, agility, and coordination. Ferrell is a true 4-3 DE. He is not going to be able to handle plays in space as a LB. If we are replacing Vernon then Ferrell might be the guy for Bettcher's defense. If this were a true 4-3 I think we'd look to pair Allen & Carter, but if you look at what JB has been doing I might select a lineman who is playing upright and at other times puts his hand in the dirt. Allen is not an NFL DL.

The guy who has a very high ceiling is going to be DE-Rashan Gary out of Michigan. I like Allen & Ferrell, but if it came down to us wanting a true lineman who is an athletic freak of nature Gary is my guy. At 6-4 280 and running a 4.65 forty this guy could wreak havoc in Bettcher's D. At the six pick I am hoping that we get a game changer for the defense. If we stand pat we should have our choice, Allen, Gary, CB-Greedy Williams, or Haskins if we want to reach for a QB.

Watching Wilson & Prescott in the playoffs last night just made me think about the fact that they were selected in the 3rd and 4th round respectively. Shurmur is a QB friendly coach. I don't understand why everyone believes that we must draft a "franchise QB" or suffer in "QB hell" until we find one. All this "tank for Tua" talk is nauseating. I can't believe how people overvalue the QB position. Anyone that questions the Barkley pick must have a screw loose.


I can't believe how much you undervalue it. Nor can i believe you seem to expect you'll get Wilson type in other rounds. It's so easy to get wilson types. And to put Wilson and dak in same sentence is bit outrageous. Wilsons 1st year he was a stud.

It has taken Dak 3 years for a playoff game victory in which his defense won it for him. The Gmen can;t wait on a Dak. Well they could but losing years of Barkley waiting for your QB ot mature sucks.
RE: DG has a history of drafting very good defensive players.  
giantstock : 1/6/2019 9:31 pm : link
In comment 14251281 TMS said:
Quote:
Not worried about his picks in that area. Think we will be thinking playoffs next year not in two three years. Eli will be back and we load up on the both lines in the draft and FA. MO


Playoffs next year? The Eagles won SB last year and won their playoff game despite the league MVP having a fractured back. You hear all the praise for Dallas and you saw how well Redskins were doing before injuries killed them - next year we'll be projected for last place more than likely yet you are saying playoffs?

So our Qb is subpar. Sixty% of our OL is subpar and our entire defense overall sucks and you're suggesting we're going to make the playoffs? You mean every free agent, every draft pick, and every player ereturning at key positions will all "hit?" Can I hav what yo'ure smoking? Please? Please? Please?

I'm on board with that ...  
Manny in CA : 1/6/2019 9:45 pm : link

CBS Sports has three DEs in their top ten draft prospects; #1 Nick Bosa, #5 Josh Allen and #9 Clelin Ferrell.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/

This year is the "Year of the DE" just like 2018 was the "Year of the QB"

As far as Vernon. I DO NOT want to lose him. His play suffered from effects of injury and the double-teaming he got when JPP left town.

I've been screaming for three years about the O-line but after what I saw this year - Pass Rush is #1
Not sure if #6 is to high or not  
beatrixkiddo : 1/6/2019 10:36 pm : link
But if Allen and Williams are gone I really like Jachia Polite and think he would be a perfect fit for this defense. Has a lot of potential and I think he has a lot of ability to be more than just strictly A pass rusher.

If they could trade down a few spots and somehow still grab him that would be amazing.
RE: Mine too  
B in ALB : 1/6/2019 10:51 pm : link
In comment 14249646 rasbutant said:
Quote:
He will climb the boards.


Climb the boards? Have you been paying attention at all?
I don't think Josh Allen is gonna be there...  
M.S. : 1/7/2019 12:04 pm : link

...at 6!

I think he goes Top 3.

But if he's there at 6, I'd grab him real fast. A great player for a desperate need!
RE: I'm on board with that ...  
DavidinBMNY : 1/7/2019 12:11 pm : link
In comment 14251510 Manny in CA said:
Quote:

CBS Sports has three DEs in their top ten draft prospects; #1 Nick Bosa, #5 Josh Allen and #9 Clelin Ferrell.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/

This year is the "Year of the DE" just like 2018 was the "Year of the QB"

As far as Vernon. I DO NOT want to lose him. His play suffered from effects of injury and the double-teaming he got when JPP left town.

I've been screaming for three years about the O-line but after what I saw this year - Pass Rush is #1

How can they afford to keep Vernon? He has been below average and hurt 2 years in a row.
Canít get the Kentucky busts out of my mind:  
Carl in CT : 1/7/2019 12:29 pm : link
George Adams and that Fat loaf of a QB.
Jared Lorenzen was a bust?  
Greg from LI : 1/7/2019 12:32 pm : link
In what way? He was undrafted!
oh, and BTW Carl  
Greg from LI : 1/7/2019 12:34 pm : link
You know that George Adams shattered his hip during his rookie season, which pretty much destroyed his career, right?
allen probably won't be there  
Platos : 1/7/2019 1:35 pm : link
i hope we some how land Devin White from LSU. Not at 6... but somewhere.

maybe his shady background scares teams away and we snatch him up late 1st/early 2nd
Hey Bill2  
Dillon in Va : 1/7/2019 4:01 pm : link
Happy New Year! I've been lurking mostly and just started posting here and there. Life has been keeping me busy enough the last few years. I hope everything is swell for you.
George  
Carl in CT : 1/7/2019 4:23 pm : link
Yup lived through the 70ís on...
Allen sounds like a perfect piece for  
TMS : 1/10/2019 1:51 pm : link
this defense. But he appears to be the best at his position in the draft, so he will probably be gone. Unless DG trades up to get him. could happen we have extra picks.
what about  
bc4life : 1/11/2019 4:25 pm : link
Jachai Polite?
RE: what about  
Jim in Forest Hills : 1/11/2019 4:29 pm : link
In comment 14258833 bc4life said:
Quote:
Jachai Polite?


He'd be a terrific consolation prize if they don't land Allen.
Josh Allen would be a no-brainer if he's there.  
Brown Recluse : 1/11/2019 4:30 pm : link
.
Back to the Corner