Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

NFT: Nostalgia overload--collection of 80's cartoon intros

Moondawg : 1/7/2019 8:54 am
Much nostalgia. Some cringe too.
Link - ( New Window )
I don't know half those shows  
robbieballs2003 : 1/7/2019 9:45 am : link
Apparently cartoons were obsessed with space.
Still..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 1/7/2019 9:49 am : link
love Fraggle Rock!!
Missing were some of my favorites  
Moondawg : 1/7/2019 9:58 am : link
Robotech
Thundarr the Barbarian
It's PIZZA TIME!  
Anakim : 1/7/2019 10:01 am : link
.
What drugs  
Pete in MD : 1/7/2019 10:07 am : link
were the inventors of He-Man taking? First off, such a lazy hero name. Then, why create the most powerful man in the universe and give him that strange Dutch boy haircut? And what the eff is Orko? Skeletor makes no sense either. At least his sister and Teela were hot.
RE: What drugs  
Moondawg : 1/7/2019 10:13 am : link
In comment 14251855 Pete in MD said:
Quote:
were the inventors of He-Man taking? First off, such a lazy hero name. Then, why create the most powerful man in the universe and give him that strange Dutch boy haircut? And what the eff is Orko? Skeletor makes no sense either. At least his sister and Teela were hot.


Pete, learn all about it and more in the link below.
Link - ( New Window )
What?  
Photoguy : 1/7/2019 10:30 am : link
No GI Joe? My son LOVED that........and He-Man.
RE: What drugs  
jnoble : 1/7/2019 10:59 am : link
In comment 14251855 Pete in MD said:
Quote:
were the inventors of He-Man taking? First off, such a lazy hero name. Then, why create the most powerful man in the universe and give him that strange Dutch boy haircut? And what the eff is Orko? Skeletor makes no sense either. At least his sister and Teela were hot.


I always wondered how Skeletor ate without the food falling right out of his jaw. Or if his brain matter was visible through his empty eye sockets in bright light. Or how he saw in the first place without any eyes. Or...or...or...
I was 20 in 1980 living in Manhattan,  
NDMedics : 1/7/2019 11:08 am : link
didn't recognize a single one of those, must have been preoccupied with coke and women.
RE: What?  
Mike in NJ : 1/7/2019 11:33 am : link
In comment 14251896 Photoguy said:
Quote:
No GI Joe? My son LOVED that........and He-Man.


Yeah I thought that was odd too. How do you not include GI Joe?
RE: RE: What drugs  
Pete in MD : 1/7/2019 1:56 pm : link
In comment 14251867 Moondawg said:
Quote:
In comment 14251855 Pete in MD said:


Quote:


were the inventors of He-Man taking? First off, such a lazy hero name. Then, why create the most powerful man in the universe and give him that strange Dutch boy haircut? And what the eff is Orko? Skeletor makes no sense either. At least his sister and Teela were hot.



Pete, learn all about it and more in the link below. Link - ( New Window )

I only watched a few minutes of that documentary but basically, Mattel stupidly passed on the multi-million dollar license to make Star Wars toys and then had their creative team scrambling around to make something that would compete. I think these guys were under so much pressure, they just went with whatever idea popped into their mind. Like the Gremlins 2 Key and Peele skit.
RE: I was 20 in 1980 living in Manhattan,  
Greg from LI : 1/7/2019 2:32 pm : link
In comment 14251987 NDMedics said:
Quote:
didn't recognize a single one of those, must have been preoccupied with coke and women.



Ummm, why would you recognize any of them if you were in your 20s at the time?
Cartoon Heyday was the 60s  
Number17 : 1/7/2019 3:13 pm : link
In my opinion. Cartoon based shows like Wonderama, Officer Joe Bolton. Mid to late 60s, we plopped ourselves down on Saturday morning and watched cartoons. Speed Racer, Gigantor, Bugs Bunny and friends, Jonny Quest. Cant see some of them anymore because they were deemed politically incorrect (Go Go Gophers portrayal of American Indians). Same with Little Rascals and some other shows.

Those shows would roll into Abbot and Costello, Bowery Boys and a boy preteen favorite - Roller Derby.
here's a question  
Greg from LI : 1/7/2019 4:44 pm : link
When the hell did Inspector Gadget have a mustache?
RE: here's a question  
Matt in SGS : 1/7/2019 4:47 pm : link
In comment 14252666 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
When the hell did Inspector Gadget have a mustache?


His first episode he did. But then Snidely Whiplash sued him so he got rid of it.
Where's the Ambiguously Gay Duo?  
Anakim : 1/7/2019 7:35 pm : link
.
1974, arnes with a bowl of Cocoa Puffs, I faced the TV...  
x meadowlander : 1/8/2019 6:13 am : link
...house quiet on Saturday morning, the TV was MINE.

Remember? Need a refresher? TV lineups and descriptions for every Saturday Morning cartoon here:


TV Party - ( New Window )
RE: Cartoon Heyday was the 60s  
mitch300 : 1/8/2019 1:59 pm : link
In comment 14252450 Number17 said:
Quote:
In my opinion. Cartoon based shows like Wonderama, Officer Joe Bolton. Mid to late 60s, we plopped ourselves down on Saturday morning and watched cartoons. Speed Racer, Gigantor, Bugs Bunny and friends, Jonny Quest. Cant see some of them anymore because they were deemed politically incorrect (Go Go Gophers portrayal of American Indians). Same with Little Rascals and some other shows.

Those shows would roll into Abbot and Costello, Bowery Boys and a boy preteen favorite - Roller Derby.


Ah the memories.
RE: RE: I was 20 in 1980 living in Manhattan,  
Drewcon40 : 1/8/2019 2:10 pm : link
In comment 14252341 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
In comment 14251987 NDMedics said:


Quote:


didn't recognize a single one of those, must have been preoccupied with coke and women.




Ummm, why would you recognize any of them if you were in your 20s at the time?


Maybe he was still amped up after a Friday night into Saturday morning watching Saturday morning cartoons?
RE: Missing were some of my favorites  
santacruzom : 1/9/2019 4:10 pm : link
In comment 14251842 Moondawg said:
Quote:
Robotech
Thundarr the Barbarian


Two sound mentions. I also immediately thought of Star Blazers.

In retrospect, Star Blazers and Thundarr the Barbarian had some pretty heavy concepts for kids with the Earth being entirely ravaged and all.
I'm surprised Silverhawks wasn't included  
santacruzom : 1/9/2019 4:14 pm : link
But it was ultimately just Thundercats re-imagined as space androids, so perhaps he didn't want to be redundant.

One thing that bothered me about Thundercats even as a kid: apparently there was a planet populated by anthropomorphic cats based on various cat species, but the ones we came to know all had names that reflected their species (Liono, Panthro, Cheetara, etc). Based on that naming convention, the population of the planet must have been, like, 100.
I was very happy that Count Duckula was included  
Greg from LI : 1/9/2019 4:18 pm : link
Almost no one remembers that one today.
Count Duckula was a bit after my childhood  
santacruzom : 1/9/2019 4:22 pm : link
But I do remember liking a Saturday morning cartoon featuring heroic monsters: a vampire, a Frankenstein, and a werewolf.
it was at the tail end of mine  
Greg from LI : 1/9/2019 4:24 pm : link
I think was 11 when I first saw it? I had a younger sister who loved it, though, so it was on in our house all the time.
Back to the Corner