Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Is it Will Grier Right in Front of our Face?

mittenedman : 1/8/2019 5:07 pm
I don't think we pick him at #6. But in this age of misinformation, gamesmanship and double secret probation, Dick Gettleman seems to fake everyone out by telling the truth. The straight shooter of straight shooters. Last year he told everyone he was taking Barkley....and he took Barkley.

This year Gettleman went to personally scout 2 QBs - Herbert and Will Grier. (Herbert, of course, is returning to school.) He was in attendance Friday night, November 23rd when Oklahoma played @ West Virginia. I don't think he went down to Morgantown for the bar scene. In that game Grier went 32/49 for 539 yards and 5 TDs but lost a heartbreaker 59-56. When the smoke clears - would it be any surprise if the Giants traded up from their 2nd round pick for Grier?

Here's the write-up on Grier:

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 223 lbs.
Age: 24 in April

Strengths

*Smart QB, great anticipation.
*Good zip.
*Keeps eyes downfield when avoiding pressure.
*Premier ball placement, even when he can't set his feet
*Skipped the Bowl game vs. Syracuse to prepare for NFL Draft.

Negatives

*Decision-making.
*Loses zip when under duress.
*Sometimes holds the ball too long.
*Grier and his family are known to be high maintenance personalities which may or may not scare some teams off.

2018 Stats

266/397 (67%), 3,864 yards (9.7 YPA), 37 TDs, 8 INTs. He also scored 3 rushing TDs.

Notes

Grier was the Florida Gators starting QB as a Redshirt Freshman going 6-0 before getting suspended for PED's. He claims he bought an OTC nutritional supplement from a health store and checked all the ingredients to make sure none were banned, but never checked with the UF trainers. He got popped. He decided to transfer when the Florida coaches suggested a fresh start. Urban Meyer recruited him the hardest but he chose WVU because they guaranteed him playing time.

Skill-set wise, Grier has a good enough arm and good enough athleticism to make most plays on the field. He is mobile but not a running QB - he is always looking to throw and can pass from the pocket but can and will run for a 1st down when needed. (Sounds like the kind of QB Shurmur said he likes.) He showed good overall development from last year to this year as a game manager, protecting the football and situational awareness. He brings good emotion to the field as the QB.

Early prediction?

Giants go pass rusher in round 1 and then trade up for Grier. Anyone throwing the remote?
trade up  
Hilary : 1/8/2019 5:11 pm : link
The giants will not trade up to get a QB.They have so many holes to fill and no third round pick.They may take a QB at 6 if some one they like is there.
to me, he's not nearly  
Pep22 : 1/8/2019 5:13 pm : link
as physically gifted as Haskins and Lock; I wouldn't say he's noodle armed but nothing about him physically wows you

also has a reputation of being high maintenance with a family that is even more high maintenance
.  
ghost718 : 1/8/2019 5:14 pm : link
love him  
GiantGrit : 1/8/2019 5:28 pm : link
He's my guy but the combine will be HUGE for him. Needs to throw well.

Interestingly, his completion % drops against the blitz but he had 22 touchdowns, no ints against it.

I will say his arm in the meadowlands concerns me a little.
not the guy at 6  
GiantGrit : 1/8/2019 5:29 pm : link
If they get a premier guy at 6 and get him afterwards i'll be ecstatic.
He is a good  
TommyWiseau : 1/8/2019 5:32 pm : link
Fit in Jacksonville IMO
I'm not excited about him. Not the strongest arm, not  
yatqb : 1/8/2019 5:34 pm : link
physically impressive.
RE: love him  
bw in dc : 1/8/2019 5:35 pm : link
In comment 14254556 GiantGrit said:
Quote:
He's my guy but the combine will be HUGE for him. Needs to throw well.

Interestingly, his completion % drops against the blitz but he had 22 touchdowns, no ints against it.

I will say his arm in the meadowlands concerns me a little.


Agree with nearly all of this. The Combine is huge. Heís matured a ton since the break at Florida. Become father was a big deal.

Iím less concerned about an issues with throwing at MetLife. I donít think the wind is any big factor and, with climate change, the cold is less prevalent in Jersey...so it seems.
RE: RE: love him  
GiantGrit : 1/8/2019 5:45 pm : link
In comment 14254563 bw in dc said:
Quote:
In comment 14254556 GiantGrit said:


Quote:


He's my guy but the combine will be HUGE for him. Needs to throw well.

Interestingly, his completion % drops against the blitz but he had 22 touchdowns, no ints against it.

I will say his arm in the meadowlands concerns me a little.



Agree with nearly all of this. The Combine is huge. Heís matured a ton since the break at Florida. Become father was a big deal.

Iím less concerned about an issues with throwing at MetLife. I donít think the wind is any big factor and, with climate change, the cold is less prevalent in Jersey...so it seems.


He's one of the guys you size up and look for reasons to dismiss him but i don't see it. The more i watched him the more enamored i became. The arm gets knocked but he has proven he can make every throw (i love his ball placement)

He has the same issue as Darnold. Loves keeping his eyes up field but that can get him in trouble. I love his grasp of anticipation already.

The big personality line surprised me, i know his brothers are famous on social media but he does not strike me as that guy. I also agree that him having a family really seems to have settled him down.

He was a top 5 pro style QB coming out, committed to a SEC school. North Carolina gatorade player of the year. He's big enough, moves well enough, has enough arm strength...but when you watch the dude play, you quickly realize he is just a really good football player.

I've only read of one scout who actually saw him throw live - he said his arm is fine. For now, i take his word over internet scouts. We'll see.
there's an athletic fluidity there  
mittenedman : 1/8/2019 5:46 pm : link
I haven't seen much of him but that's one thing I notice right away. He's got enough arm/accuracy/movement/speed/weird arm angles etc. to make any play.

Reminds me a bit of Tony Romo - but I admit I haven't seen him much.
also  
mittenedman : 1/8/2019 5:47 pm : link
think he projects well to a modern WCO
No thanks on Grier  
B in ALB : 1/8/2019 5:50 pm : link
I've heard some character issues will be a concern and something about his family being a real pain in the ass. He played in an unbelievably QB-friendly system in a conference that plays absolutely no defense. At #6 I'm not even close to considering him.
Grier = Quitter  
Ivan15 : 1/8/2019 5:51 pm : link
.
He sounds like a second rd pick.  
Dave on the UWS : 1/8/2019 6:05 pm : link
Would you pick him or a potential starting RT at that spot? Thatís the question
He's also 24  
CromartiesKid21 : 1/8/2019 6:12 pm : link
years old
Heíd  
cokeduplt : 1/8/2019 6:14 pm : link
Be a good pick in the second round
The thing I like most about Grier is his accuracy. He's made some  
Ira : 1/8/2019 6:16 pm : link
incredible throws. I think he goes mid to late first round and would need a year of being coached up before starting. He doesn't have a great arm. I'd like to see numbers on that.
Boylehart's take  
Peter from NH (formerly CT) : 1/8/2019 6:18 pm : link
FWIW

" For me personally Iím not convinced selecting a player who is inconsistent at the quarterback position (just because he can play far beyond his talents in one game) is smart drafting because I know the next game he could play like he doesnít deserve to be on the practice squad. That being said he could be a steal if selected late in this draft and is given the time to developÖin the right system and with the right coach."
Will Greer - ( New Window )
No  
Ssanders9816 : 1/8/2019 6:21 pm : link
No more 2nd or 3rd round picks for a maybe QB. The Giants are going all in on their next QB. Probably in 2020 and probably by trading up. Unless Haskins is their guy this year (which I doubt). And hopefully itís not Jones either.
RE: .  
Gman11 : 1/8/2019 6:27 pm : link
In comment 14254550 ghost718 said:
Quote:


LMAO at that gif
I don't understand:  
Jay in Toronto : 1/8/2019 6:32 pm : link
Strengths

*Smart QB


Negatives

*Decision-making.
RE: I don't understand:  
B in ALB : 1/8/2019 6:36 pm : link
In comment 14254611 Jay in Toronto said:
Quote:
Strengths

*Smart QB


Negatives

*Decision-making.


Haha. I like this one.

Strengths:

- Can make all the throws

Weaknesses:

- Arm strength
When you have the 2nd pick in the draft,  
Brown Recluse : 1/8/2019 6:42 pm : link
its a lot easier to be straight forward about who youre picking. I wouldnt expect Gettleman to be so obvious this April.
Sunshine or bust  
gtt350 : 1/8/2019 6:47 pm : link
.
I watched Grier numerous times this past season  
PatersonPlank : 1/8/2019 6:48 pm : link
He looks good to me, I don't get why some bash him. He has a good arm, seems pretty accurate (the tying TD pass against Texas with 16 second to go was beautiful) and is pretty mobile.
RE: Boylehart's take  
Ira : 1/8/2019 6:52 pm : link
In comment 14254601 Peter from NH (formerly CT) said:
Quote:
FWIW

" For me personally Iím not convinced selecting a player who is inconsistent at the quarterback position (just because he can play far beyond his talents in one game) is smart drafting because I know the next game he could play like he doesnít deserve to be on the practice squad. That being said he could be a steal if selected late in this draft and is given the time to developÖin the right system and with the right coach." Will Greer - ( New Window )


I read this and I was very surprised, since West Virginia lost only 3 games and scored under 40 only once. As pointed out above, Grier had great stats over the season.
RE: Sunshine or bust  
Leg of Theismann : 1/8/2019 7:00 pm : link
In comment 14254625 gtt350 said:
Quote:
.


Which one is sunshine? I've heard so many QBs referred to as Sunshine the past year. Goff, Herbert, Grier, Trevor Lawrence. Is every single QB with either long hair or blond hair (or both) Sunshine??
RE: No thanks on Grier  
bw in dc : 1/8/2019 7:02 pm : link
In comment 14254575 B in ALB said:
Quote:
I've heard some character issues will be a concern and something about his family being a real pain in the ass. He played in an unbelievably QB-friendly system in a conference that plays absolutely no defense. At #6 I'm not even close to considering him.


I donít think heís #6 material either. Iím thinking more of a second rounder.

What character issues specifically?

High Maintenance  
Samiam : 1/8/2019 7:07 pm : link
And his family too? Coming after Eli?
RE: RE: RE: love him  
bw in dc : 1/8/2019 7:13 pm : link
In comment 14254567 GiantGrit said:
Quote:


He's one of the guys you size up and look for reasons to dismiss him but i don't see it. The more i watched him the more enamored i became. The arm gets knocked but he has proven he can make every throw (i love his ball placement)

He has the same issue as Darnold. Loves keeping his eyes up field but that can get him in trouble. I love his grasp of anticipation already.

The big personality line surprised me, i know his brothers are famous on social media but he does not strike me as that guy. I also agree that him having a family really seems to have settled him down.

He was a top 5 pro style QB coming out, committed to a SEC school. North Carolina gatorade player of the year. He's big enough, moves well enough, has enough arm strength...but when you watch the dude play, you quickly realize he is just a really good football player.

I've only read of one scout who actually saw him throw live - he said his arm is fine. For now, i take his word over internet scouts. We'll see.


I hear you. Many donít recall what a prized recruit he was. One of Floridaís top prizes in 2014. Had offers from Auburn, Ark, UNC, Tennessee, etc. The real deal.

I think some of the bad rap was driven by McElwain. He couldnít wait for Grier to leave.

As for his QB play, there is a gambling aspect to Grier that is high reward/high risk. Heís not afraid. That shows up in his pocket presence in his willingness to stand tall in the pocket and deliver. I really like that. Thst needs refinement but I see a ton of upside...
Having discarded Daniel Jones as someone I don't  
BlueLou'sBack : 1/8/2019 7:20 pm : link
want the giants to draft, Grier is next on my study list. Nervous about the arm strength caveats, especially in Giants stadium or other likely playoff venues when the Giants start making it back.

Eli's 2 SB runs included very serious performances in negative weather conditions in Green Bay and in SF in the rain. Noodle arms like Rivers and Alex Smith just can't be counted on to produce in those conditions. Gotta have at least a B to B+ arm like Eli.
RE: trade up  
Beer Man : 1/8/2019 7:56 pm : link
In comment 14254545 Hilary said:
Quote:
The giants will not trade up to get a QB.They have so many holes to fill and no third round pick.They may take a QB at 6 if some one they like is there.
+1. There is no QB in this draft worthy of the 6th pick, much less than giving up valuable picks to move up and grab one.
LOL at high maintenance family  
bluepepper : 1/8/2019 8:17 pm : link
Loved to see the scouting reports on this. Like do they interview his mother's old boyfriends? His father's co-workers? The neighbors?
as someone said above - 24 in April.  
Del Shofner : 1/8/2019 8:36 pm : link
Just that is a concern for me.
RE: as someone said above - 24 in April.  
BlueLou'sBack : 1/8/2019 8:49 pm : link
In comment 14254777 Del Shofner said:
Quote:
Just that is a concern for me.


Disagree. With Go Terps hammering on about the value of players on their rookie contracts I've come around to thinking you want to draft more mature guys who are ready to start, or at least very close to it.

This Reese stupidity of always going for the 21 year olds 'with upside" belongs in the pre-FA world, not now.
Very good  
XBRONX : 1/8/2019 8:50 pm : link
deep passer. Weak arm? Buy some glasses.
RE: RE: RE: RE: love him  
GiantGrit : 1/8/2019 8:53 pm : link
In comment 14254652 bw in dc said:
Quote:
In comment 14254567 GiantGrit said:


Quote:




He's one of the guys you size up and look for reasons to dismiss him but i don't see it. The more i watched him the more enamored i became. The arm gets knocked but he has proven he can make every throw (i love his ball placement)

He has the same issue as Darnold. Loves keeping his eyes up field but that can get him in trouble. I love his grasp of anticipation already.

The big personality line surprised me, i know his brothers are famous on social media but he does not strike me as that guy. I also agree that him having a family really seems to have settled him down.

He was a top 5 pro style QB coming out, committed to a SEC school. North Carolina gatorade player of the year. He's big enough, moves well enough, has enough arm strength...but when you watch the dude play, you quickly realize he is just a really good football player.

I've only read of one scout who actually saw him throw live - he said his arm is fine. For now, i take his word over internet scouts. We'll see.



I hear you. Many donít recall what a prized recruit he was. One of Floridaís top prizes in 2014. Had offers from Auburn, Ark, UNC, Tennessee, etc. The real deal.

I think some of the bad rap was driven by McElwain. He couldnít wait for Grier to leave.

As for his QB play, there is a gambling aspect to Grier that is high reward/high risk. Heís not afraid. That shows up in his pocket presence in his willingness to stand tall in the pocket and deliver. I really like that. Thst needs refinement but I see a ton of upside...


That is why he reminds me of Darnold! Who i actually did not like at first. They are always looking to make a big play and they are fearless. Both had problems with ball control at times because they leave one hand off the ball. Yes, that is a skill that has to be honed in but i think that is a plus.
RE: Very good  
GiantGrit : 1/8/2019 8:55 pm : link
In comment 14254795 XBRONX said:
Quote:
deep passer. Weak arm? Buy some glasses.


PFF gets some slack on here and i think a lot of times, rightfully so. But they have some nice stats on quarterbacks. They actually said he was the best deep ball thrower in the class.

RE: RE: Very good  
bw in dc : 1/8/2019 9:04 pm : link
In comment 14254801 GiantGrit said:
Quote:
In comment 14254795 XBRONX said:


Quote:


deep passer. Weak arm? Buy some glasses.



PFF gets some slack on here and i think a lot of times, rightfully so. But they have some nice stats on quarterbacks. They actually said he was the best deep ball thrower in the class.


The throw Grier made in Texas to win that game was as good as it gets...

One of the throws of the year.
RE: RE: RE: Very good  
GiantGrit : 1/8/2019 9:15 pm : link
In comment 14254812 bw in dc said:
Quote:
In comment 14254801 GiantGrit said:


Quote:


In comment 14254795 XBRONX said:


Quote:


deep passer. Weak arm? Buy some glasses.



PFF gets some slack on here and i think a lot of times, rightfully so. But they have some nice stats on quarterbacks. They actually said he was the best deep ball thrower in the class.




The throw Grier made in Texas to win that game was as good as it gets...

One of the throws of the year.


That throw is what really sold me on him. The two best teams he played - Oklahoma & Texas - he balled out. Texas demolishing Georgia makes his performance in Austin even more impressive.
Regardless of what you think of Grier personally  
mittenedman : 1/8/2019 9:35 pm : link
It's a pretty safe bet the Giants had a really high grade on him, so they then decided to send Gettleman down to get a closer look.
He bailed on his team for their bowl game ...  
Spider56 : 1/8/2019 9:49 pm : link
You donít do this as a QB ... no way, no way I want him in blue next year.

RE: He bailed on his team for their bowl game ...  
bw in dc : 1/8/2019 9:53 pm : link
In comment 14254880 Spider56 said:
Quote:
You donít do this as a QB ... no way, no way I want him in blue next year.


I think you meant meaningless exhibition game.
Just watched almost an hour of his tape - first highlights  
BlueLou'sBack : 1/9/2019 12:14 am : link
in which of course he looked good but almost all his completions were well within 20 yards from the LOS, and then full game tape edited to his throws and runs and sacks. He's got his issues to my eye - his "great long throws" traveled 45 yards in the air, and I didn't see any throw traveling 50 or more yards. So hi arm isn't as strong as Lock's certainly, and not as strong as Haskins' either. His ball doesn't come out of his hand with the same velocity, which isn't necessarily bad because he shows nice touch. But defenders have a bit more time to recover on many of his throws than the do from Lock or Haskins.

He sometimes seems oblivious to pressure and the times he was picked they were clean picks - not balls that bounced off his receiver' hands into a defender's. His footwork is much more polished than Lock's, for sure. I imagine it has to be or he wouldn't get the ball where it needs to go. His accuracy is good, but I think I was a bit misled by the editing if the first few 4-5 min clips I watch that didn't show his incompletions. He made a few bad judgement throw right into double coverage, and he doesn't have the zip or accuracy to get away with that, IMO, especially not if the ball travels more than 25 yards from him.

He can throw from a roll out intended or improvised, so long as he's not going too deep or across the field.

You guys who loved that last second throw vs Texas, yeah that was money, but it was 45 yards in the air, not more. Lock throws dimes at that distance off his back foot all day long...

Check out the YOUTUBE poster Caddy to the Lama for full game tape (edited but all the throws and runs of a player} for both Grier and Lock and see what y'all think for yourselves.

I'd like him in the third round (yeah we don't have) or 4th to compete with Lauletta. Sometimes he looks like Joe Montana with his quick decisions to get the ball to the right guy in a hurry, IMO that's the best part of his game, quick and accurate decision making.
RE: RE: Sunshine or bust  
GeorgeAdams33 : 1/9/2019 1:41 am : link
In comment 14254639 Leg of Theismann said:
Quote:
In comment 14254625 gtt350 said:


Quote:


.



Which one is sunshine? I've heard so many QBs referred to as Sunshine the past year. Goff, Herbert, Grier, Trevor Lawrence. Is every single QB with either long hair or blond hair (or both) Sunshine??


How many guesses do you want? Never heard any of your first three called Sunshine. You are so full of shit. Quit stirring the pot.
AND WHO tf  
GeorgeAdams33 : 1/9/2019 1:42 am : link
is Dick Gettleman?
BlueLouísBack...  
bw in dc : 1/9/2019 1:48 am : link
I think most of that is fair.

But your assessment of his deep ball is way off. I believe heís lead the nation in deep ball attempts and completions the last few years. Check out the TCU game this year where he throws a 55 yard - distance ball traveled in the air - strike on a sideline go route. Ball is just absurdly perfect.

He doesnít have a howitzer of an arm but I think itís good enough. So how he throws at the Combine is going to be huge to assuage any concern about that.
RE: RE: RE: Very good  
OBJRoyal : 1/9/2019 3:10 am : link
In comment 14254812 bw in dc said:
Quote:
In comment 14254801 GiantGrit said:


Quote:


In comment 14254795 XBRONX said:


Quote:


deep passer. Weak arm? Buy some glasses.



PFF gets some slack on here and i think a lot of times, rightfully so. But they have some nice stats on quarterbacks. They actually said he was the best deep ball thrower in the class.




The throw Grier made in Texas to win that game was as good as it gets...

One of the throws of the year.


An amazing throw!! Dead on the $$
Sonewhat similar to Mayfield on the field  
jeff57 : 1/9/2019 8:00 am : link
Concerned about some of the intangibles.
RE: Sonewhat similar to Mayfield on the field  
GiantGrit : 1/9/2019 1:10 pm : link
In comment 14255072 jeff57 said:
Quote:
Concerned about some of the intangibles.


What worries you about his intangibles? Asking out of curiosity, i haven't seen anything on that aside from the scouting report above.
Back to the Corner