Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

McAdoo will interview for a spot on Kingsburyís staff in AZ

OdellBeckhamJr : 1/10/2019 1:37 pm
per Ranaan. He also wrote this:

Quote:
Just remembered this: Ben McAdoo went to 1 Pro Day when he was the Giants coach. It just so happened to be at Texas Tech (where Kingsbury coached) to see Patrick Mahomes. McAdoo loved Mahomes in that draft.



link - ( New Window )
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
I wish him luck  
Beer Man : 1/10/2019 3:06 pm : link
He was rushed into the Giants HC role way too early when he wasn't ready for it, and he failed. Give him a few years and experience in the coordinator role, and maybe he will one day return get another shot the HC role somewhere and do well.

Hopefully, by then he stops calling the football "The Duke"!
How the hell could anyone  
mittenedman : 1/10/2019 3:09 pm : link
watch McAdoo's offense and say he was a solid OC?

He almost ruined Giants football for me. I couldn't stand watching that offense play. As boring as it gets.

How many shotgun inside handoffs and 2 yard square outs can you watch?
RE: I wish him luck  
Greg from LI : 1/10/2019 3:09 pm : link
In comment 14257135 Beer Man said:
Quote:
Hopefully, by then he stops calling the football "The Duke"!


And maybe then Gettleman will stop babbling about "hog mollies"
He's a heavy handed  
adamg : 1/10/2019 3:15 pm : link
Man of integrity with an eye for the Duke who keeps it between the ditches. Godspeed Mac.
McAdoo was awful in 2017..  
Sean : 1/10/2019 3:40 pm : link
But he went 3-1 against DAL/PHI in 2016 which is absolutely unheard of over the last half decade.
...  
christian : 1/10/2019 3:47 pm : link
Sad to say, some of the high points over the last several years were at McAdoo's hands; 2016, OBJ's breakout in 2014, the total offense in 2015.

He might be a doofus -- but he had some good seasons.
Happy He Was Fired,  
clatterbuck : 1/10/2019 3:56 pm : link
hope he gets another opportunity. He isn't is "he who shall not be named" category.
McAdoo was a douchebag  
Chris684 : 1/10/2019 4:19 pm : link
who proved he couldn't handle even moderate success.
My concern with him as a OC  
GiantGrit : 1/10/2019 4:49 pm : link
Correct me if i'm wrong, Tommy C had control over the offense as well right in 2015?

When he was given more control over the offense, it progressively got worse.

Hope he lands on his feet.
I wish that mustachioed idiot  
Nitro : 1/10/2019 4:52 pm : link
nothing but the worse.
worst  
Nitro : 1/10/2019 4:52 pm : link
.
to be  
spike : 1/10/2019 5:06 pm : link
TE coach?
Best  
AcidTest : 1/10/2019 7:59 pm : link
wishes to him.
RE: RE: He deserves another shot..  
djm : 1/10/2019 11:10 pm : link
In comment 14256976 Go Terps said:
Quote:
In comment 14256963 Sean said:


Quote:


Helped guide us to 11-5 in 2016.



People conveniently forget that. And that team easily could have gone 5-11 if McAdoo hadn't done such a great job with game management.


Lol
Ok maybe I was harsh with the lol  
djm : 1/10/2019 11:17 pm : link
But excellent? The offense didnít do much of anything except hit the much needed HR to Beckham. He kept the team together at 2-3 Iíll give him that.

You think shurmur would have fucked that season up based solely on this seasonís clock mgmt decisions? Kind of apples and oranges. We were in catch up mode pretty much all season long. Even the shurmur games youíre nit picking from this season, the giants were losing in those moments, nearly every time. Not the same thing.
If the Shurmur we saw this year was the coach in 2016  
Go Terps : 1/10/2019 11:37 pm : link
That team goes 7-9, maybe worse. Shumur's performance this year was a joke. The only two arguments anyone has been able to make it favor of keeping him are very nebulous:

1. They played hard for him. (Really?)
2. You don't fire a coach after 1 year.

That's it. If he repeats his 2018 performance in 2019 the calls to fire him will be ubiquitous.
Rooting for McAdoo..  
bw in dc : 1/10/2019 11:46 pm : link
after the way he was set-up by Mara to be the fall guy for the Manning benching.

And this coming from a guy who didnít think he was the right hire in the first place.

McAdoo got dealt a very bad hand here - poor drafting, a final year riddled with an ungodly number of injuries to key people, Manning on the decline, the way Mara treated him, etc.

If we donít solve this QB problem to replace Manning, McAdoo will have the last laugh with his foresight to see the greatness in Mahomes. Only to have the idea thwarted by the other clowns to whom he reported to...

RE: Giants had some pretty good  
LauderdaleMatty : 1/11/2019 7:15 am : link
In comment 14256959 Metnut said:
Quote:
offenses when he was OC here, and he was highly thought of in GB.

He was a failed HC but not a guy who should be out of the league.


Define good? His two as HC were not good at all.
The offense fell  
crick n NC : 1/11/2019 7:28 am : link
Off a steep cliff when Coughlin left. I'd say Mac had very little to do with the success of the offense in 14 and 15.
Good luck to him  
Jimmy Googs : 1/11/2019 7:34 am : link
as the NYG move on...
RE: Rooting for McAdoo..  
McNally's_Nuts : 1/11/2019 10:47 am : link
In comment 14257887 bw in dc said:
Quote:
after the way he was set-up by Mara to be the fall guy for the Manning benching.

And this coming from a guy who didnít think he was the right hire in the first place.

McAdoo got dealt a very bad hand here - poor drafting, a final year riddled with an ungodly number of injuries to key people, Manning on the decline, the way Mara treated him, etc.

If we donít solve this QB problem to replace Manning, McAdoo will have the last laugh with his foresight to see the greatness in Mahomes. Only to have the idea thwarted by the other clowns to whom he reported to...


Do you honestly think that Ben McAdoo would have successful in developing Patrick Mahomes the way Andy Reid has?

Just because Mac saw the decline in Eli Manning doesn't mean he was the right guy to fix the issue.

Did any offensive player besides Eli Manning and Odell GET better here during his two years as OC and 1 3/4s seasons as head coach?
I feel like it's well documented that the roster was crap  
Ten Ton Hammer : 1/11/2019 11:05 am : link
when McAdoo was here. What was he supposed to do, turn garbage juice into wine? The next coach and GM didn't even bother trying, they just cut everyone.
RE: I feel like it's well documented that the roster was crap  
McNally's_Nuts : 1/11/2019 11:07 am : link
In comment 14258203 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
when McAdoo was here. What was he supposed to do, turn garbage juice into wine? The next coach and GM didn't even bother trying, they just cut everyone.


I respect you as a poster, but why did you ignore my first two sentences?

Do you believe that McAdoo would have developed Patrick Mahomes the way Andy Reid as done so far?
Relax, he was only calling it "The Duke"  
CT Charlie : 1/11/2019 11:13 am : link
out of respect for Wellington Mara.
RE: If the Shurmur we saw this year was the coach in 2016  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 1/11/2019 11:17 am : link
In comment 14257885 Go Terps said:
Quote:
That team goes 7-9, maybe worse. Shumur's performance this year was a joke. The only two arguments anyone has been able to make it favor of keeping him are very nebulous:

1. They played hard for him. (Really?)
2. You don't fire a coach after 1 year.

That's it. If he repeats his 2018 performance in 2019 the calls to fire him will be ubiquitous.


Our offense was pretty productive this year with the crap we had at offensive line, and most of that is because of Saquon. However, our passing game and play calling was certainly 100% better.

We still need players on Offense to get it fixed, but don't sell him short of at least putting the offensive players in a place to be successful.
RE: RE: Rooting for McAdoo..  
bw in dc : 1/11/2019 11:33 am : link
In comment 14258172 McNally's_Nuts said:
Quote:


Do you honestly think that Ben McAdoo would have successful in developing Patrick Mahomes the way Andy Reid has?

Just because Mac saw the decline in Eli Manning doesn't mean he was the right guy to fix the issue.

Did any offensive player besides Eli Manning and Odell GET better here during his two years as OC and 1 3/4s seasons as head coach?


I think Mahomes is such a talent that he could have been successful anywhere.

I agree Reid is a spectacular coach. But it's unfair to assume Mahomes is where he is largely because of Reid.

I think if the Jets drafted Dan Marino he would have been successful under Joe Walton. A lot of the success just comes down to the talent level.

I'm not sure we had enough talent on the roster to reasonably say McAdoo did or didn't get the most out of their ability.
Well, someone has to get the coffee and doughnuts  
HomerJones45 : 1/11/2019 11:41 am : link
No ill-will for McAdoo who was totally over his head in the deep end of the pool. The blame goes to the collection of dunces that put him in that position in the first place. Ok with me if some buddy of his wants to throw him a bone.
I can't do..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 1/11/2019 11:51 am : link
anything but shake my head in bewilderment when people will even use McAdoo as a way to throw back-handed comments towards Gettleman or Shurmur.

Christ, you'd think each of those guys has been here for the entire time since 2011.

McAdoo had the biggest implosion I have ever seen from a Giants coach, and for that, we're told he's much better than Shurmur and he was the fall guy for the Manning benching? I feel like BBI is just one long troll job anymore.
FMiC-  
Sean : 1/11/2019 11:54 am : link
Why canít McAdoo be complimented for 2016? Did he not do a good job coaching that season?
Of course..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 1/11/2019 12:05 pm : link
McAdoo can be complimented.

Not sure how that pertains to Shurmur going 7-9 with that team or the idea he's a much better coach than Shurmur, or even how it opens up the door to slam Gettleman for saying "hog mollies".

The only year in the past decade where we had a top 5 healthy team and a top 5 D we made the playoffs. And even then, we won something like 6 games by 5 points or less.

It is quite extraordinary to make the playoffs as a Giants coach and get fired the next year. You really have to royally fuck things up.
RE: Of course..  
Jimmy Googs : 1/11/2019 12:11 pm : link
In comment 14258273 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:


It is quite extraordinary to make the playoffs as a Giants coach and get fired the next year. You really have to royally fuck things up.


yep
RE: Get out the hair gel like a boss  
Gatorade Dunk : 1/11/2019 12:17 pm : link
In comment 14257069 Coach Red Beaulieu said:
Quote:
And show em your not there to mess with their nut.

Ugh, you're back?

This place gets worse by the day.
Here's what interesting to me...  
bw in dc : 1/11/2019 12:18 pm : link
We all agree that McAdoo wasn't the ideal hire.

But Shurmur is largely given a pass for another bad season because of these excuses in his defense:

Poor past drafts, poor roster management, roster turnover with new GM, etc. And he had a head coaching gig a few years back in Cleveland.

Yet, compared to McAdoo's last year, Shurmur had a dynamic RB, money invested in a new OL, a mostly healthy OBJ and Engram, and a veteran QB was back with these new toys.

But we vilify McAdoo. Who was right in the middle of the poor drafting and personnel management, had to deal with some major injuries, a diva WR who would rather work on his tan than get ready for a playoff game, and an owner who caved to mob rule.

McAdoo lost the team because the team was in a failure vortex, mostly beyond his control.

It's really too bad he gets painted as one of the root cause of this continuing disaster. He was really just another passenger in this mess.


RE: FMiC-  
LauderdaleMatty : 1/11/2019 12:23 pm : link
In comment 14258259 Sean said:
Quote:
Why canít McAdoo be complimented for 2016? Did he not do a good job coaching that season?


As an OC. No. HC. Sure. But his offenses were never all that. To be fair the OL has been a shit show and limited talent after OBJ. Funny how the same people who hate on Shurmur Seem to want to give him a total pass. So yeah he can't be totally blamed but anyone who thinks he's some great OC or his offenses were great needs to go to rehab and dry out
RE: RE: RE: Rooting for McAdoo..  
McNally's_Nuts : 1/11/2019 12:26 pm : link
In comment 14258236 bw in dc said:
Quote:
In comment 14258172 McNally's_Nuts said:


Quote:




Do you honestly think that Ben McAdoo would have successful in developing Patrick Mahomes the way Andy Reid has?

Just because Mac saw the decline in Eli Manning doesn't mean he was the right guy to fix the issue.

Did any offensive player besides Eli Manning and Odell GET better here during his two years as OC and 1 3/4s seasons as head coach?



I think Mahomes is such a talent that he could have been successful anywhere.

I agree Reid is a spectacular coach. But it's unfair to assume Mahomes is where he is largely because of Reid.

I think if the Jets drafted Dan Marino he would have been successful under Joe Walton. A lot of the success just comes down to the talent level.

I'm not sure we had enough talent on the roster to reasonably say McAdoo did or didn't get the most out of their ability.


I think it's very fair to assume that Reid is hell of a QB whisperer. He's developed McNabb and then was able to win with stiffs like AJ Feely and Kolb and then flip them for draft capital.

Reid also had Alex Smith and Smith had his best seasons with Reid.

I just find it hard to believe McAdoo would have had the same success that Reid is having with Mahomes currently.

I think Reid is underrated in the regular season and I'd like to see him finally win the big one.
Shurmur..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 1/11/2019 12:31 pm : link
isn't given a pass, he's given an incomplete. Hopefully, unlike McAdoo, his second season shows improvement instead of him walking in the first day of camp looking like Gordon Gecko, happy for a playoff berth.

If we are just judging on offensive output, Shurmur has already shown he has the chops over McAdoo in that capacity, but I'd even guess the hate for the guy is so illogical that people would even debate that.

But I think it is really cool that bw continues to trot the conspiracy theory that mob rule is the only reason Eli is still a Giant. Crazy as a fucking loon, but cool nonetheless.
RE: The offense fell  
steve in ky : 1/11/2019 12:33 pm : link
In comment 14257925 crick n NC said:
Quote:
Off a steep cliff when Coughlin left. I'd say Mac had very little to do with the success of the offense in 14 and 15.


+1
RE: RE: RE: RE: Rooting for McAdoo..  
bw in dc : 1/11/2019 12:38 pm : link
In comment 14258299 McNally's_Nuts said:
Quote:

I think it's very fair to assume that Reid is hell of a QB whisperer. He's developed McNabb and then was able to win with stiffs like AJ Feely and Kolb and then flip them for draft capital.

Reid also had Alex Smith and Smith had his best seasons with Reid.

I just find it hard to believe McAdoo would have had the same success that Reid is having with Mahomes currently.

I think Reid is underrated in the regular season and I'd like to see him finally win the big one.


I am a Reid fan. So I hear you. But Mahomes, McNabb, and Smith were top of the draft talents. So Reid was making chicken salad out of some fine poultry.

Reid's genius is play design and strategy. And he fits plan design to the skill set of his talent.

However, I just think it's important to underscore the talent part. A reason why Reid's offenses look so good is because the talent can execute what his mind sees.

So while McAdoo isn't in Reid's class, it's unfair to suggest Mahomes would not be successful if he was here. That guy is gifted and has incredible ability to improvise when the called play breaks down...
RE: Shurmur..  
bw in dc : 1/11/2019 12:42 pm : link
In comment 14258305 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
isn't given a pass, he's given an incomplete. Hopefully, unlike McAdoo, his second season shows improvement instead of him walking in the first day of camp looking like Gordon Gecko, happy for a playoff berth.

If we are just judging on offensive output, Shurmur has already shown he has the chops over McAdoo in that capacity, but I'd even guess the hate for the guy is so illogical that people would even debate that.

But I think it is really cool that bw continues to trot the conspiracy theory that mob rule is the only reason Eli is still a Giant. Crazy as a fucking loon, but cool nonetheless.


Of course Shurmur got better output - he had better personnel to work with. You're a smart guy, so you know that.

I don't have any hate for Shurmur. I just have reservations. The same reservations I had for McAdoo.

Mob rule certainly drove McAdoo to the exits. You have to be honest about that. The eruption of outrage to Eli's benching in the media, and the fans, was a very big deal.

McAdoo..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 1/11/2019 12:47 pm : link
drove himself to the exits.

All the Eli Manning benching did was get him there before the end of the season, but that car was leaving no matter what.

It wasn't just the eli thing. He lost the trust of several defensive players. He literally had two of them walk off a field and another one quit on the team (Apple). He came in 2017 a completely different person. Slick hair, sunglasses, and a swagger that wasn't warranted and teh team saw right through it.

The guys was a terrible communicator and was completely out of his league leading the team.

He was getting fired along with Reese, but if it hadn't been for the Eli benching, it likely would've been after the season.
I really can't emphasis enough  
Nitro : 1/11/2019 1:34 pm : link
how much I want this schlub to fail at any NFL venture and I'm pretty confident it'll happen, as I've seen deeper thoughts from cows chewing cud.
RE: If the Shurmur we saw this year was the coach in 2016  
djm : 1/11/2019 1:37 pm : link
In comment 14257885 Go Terps said:
Quote:
That team goes 7-9, maybe worse. Shumur's performance this year was a joke. The only two arguments anyone has been able to make it favor of keeping him are very nebulous:

1. They played hard for him. (Really?)
2. You don't fire a coach after 1 year.

That's it. If he repeats his 2018 performance in 2019 the calls to fire him will be ubiquitous.


Youíre seriously telling me that the 2016 giants would have been significantly worse with shurmur at HC instead of mcadoo.

Dude...
RE: Here's what interesting to me...  
djm : 1/11/2019 1:42 pm : link
In comment 14258289 bw in dc said:
Quote:
We all agree that McAdoo wasn't the ideal hire.

But Shurmur is largely given a pass for another bad season because of these excuses in his defense:

Poor past drafts, poor roster management, roster turnover with new GM, etc. And he had a head coaching gig a few years back in Cleveland.

Yet, compared to McAdoo's last year, Shurmur had a dynamic RB, money invested in a new OL, a mostly healthy OBJ and Engram, and a veteran QB was back with these new toys.

But we vilify McAdoo. Who was right in the middle of the poor drafting and personnel management, had to deal with some major injuries, a diva WR who would rather work on his tan than get ready for a playoff game, and an owner who caved to mob rule.

McAdoo lost the team because the team was in a failure vortex, mostly beyond his control.

It's really too bad he gets painted as one of the root cause of this continuing disaster. He was really just another passenger in this mess.



Oh for fucks sake you left out the whole LOADED defense aspect of this thing. 2016 defense? Loaded on paper. Offense had continuity and was coming off a 420 point output the year prior! 2017 team? Same defense and the same offense with added TE talent. That team fucking quit.

The 2018 giants had more offensive talent and they played much much better, especially second half. The defense didnít consist of 1/3 of the talent from 2016.

Give me a fucking break!!!
RE: I really can't emphasis enough  
Go Terps : 1/11/2019 2:42 pm : link
In comment 14258483 Nitro said:
Quote:
how much I want this schlub to fail at any NFL venture and I'm pretty confident it'll happen, as I've seen deeper thoughts from cows chewing cud.


Yes I am. Shurmur has only been awful as a head coach. Double his best win total and it doesn't get to what McAdoo got on his first year.

Any argument that Shurmur is something other than awful as a head coach has to be based on faith, because there is no actual evidence to support it.

If you want to have faith that Shurmur will improve as a head coach that's fine. That's your prerogative.

But know that it's faith, and not fact. If Shurmur continues to be in 2019 what he has been up to this point, we're going to have a new head coach in 2020.

Something has to change.
RE: RE: I really can't emphasis enough  
Brown Recluse : 1/11/2019 3:02 pm : link
In comment 14258607 Go Terps said:
Quote:
In comment 14258483 Nitro said:


Quote:


how much I want this schlub to fail at any NFL venture and I'm pretty confident it'll happen, as I've seen deeper thoughts from cows chewing cud.



Yes I am. Shurmur has only been awful as a head coach. Double his best win total and it doesn't get to what McAdoo got on his first year.

Any argument that Shurmur is something other than awful as a head coach has to be based on faith, because there is no actual evidence to support it.

If you want to have faith that Shurmur will improve as a head coach that's fine. That's your prerogative.

But know that it's faith, and not fact. If Shurmur continues to be in 2019 what he has been up to this point, we're going to have a new head coach in 2020.

Something has to change.


There's really not much in the way of facts when it comes to Shurmur has a head coach either. He's been here one year. His last stint was SEVEN years ago inside the armpit of the NFL where much more highly thought of NFL minds have gone and faultered. Thats a very small, muddled sample size.

If they legitimately plug holes in this defense over the next few months and his team still sucks next season then yeah, he's an awful head coach and he'll probably be gone.
BR  
Go Terps : 1/11/2019 3:35 pm : link
McAdoo's sample size is even smaller, includes an 11 win season, and we don't seem to have a problem concluding that he sucks. We don't give him the benefit of the doubt for dealing with a locker room full of losers who spent the 2016-2017 offseason smelling their own farts.

Taken on its own, Shurmur's 2018 performance was atrocious. He's got to do a lot better, and we don't know that he can.
RE: BR  
bw in dc : 1/11/2019 4:27 pm : link
In comment 14258741 Go Terps said:
Quote:
McAdoo's sample size is even smaller, includes an 11 win season, and we don't seem to have a problem concluding that he sucks. We don't give him the benefit of the doubt for dealing with a locker room full of losers who spent the 2016-2017 offseason smelling their own farts.

Taken on its own, Shurmur's 2018 performance was atrocious. He's got to do a lot better, and we don't know that he can.


Come on Terps. Fat-Mara in Charlotte was lecturing me above that it was McAdoo's fault because he got a haircut and wore sun glasses. And that tore the team apart.

Forget the injuries, resting on laurels of previous season, aging Eli etc...
The "success"of the offense with him as OC is overrated IMO  
Blue Dream : 1/11/2019 4:45 pm : link
The horrible defense kept putting us in huge holes for eli to climb out of. This helped the passing numbers. Our run game was non existent those years
Wow..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 1/11/2019 7:01 pm : link
if that's what you call a lecture, I should become a professor:

Quote:
Come on Terps. Fat-Mara in Charlotte was lecturing me above that it was McAdoo's fault because he got a haircut and wore sun glasses. And that tore the team apart.


The hair and glasses didn't tear the team apart. The fact he thought he achieved greatness by reaching the playoffs and getting bounced in the first round - and then shows up to camp like he's a different man likely soured the team on him.

Are you really going to take him seriously? Because I'm pretty sure the team didn't
McAdoo didn't deserve to be taken seriously in 2017,  
Go Terps : 1/11/2019 7:42 pm : link
but neither did the players. That team was a joke, and yeah they got rid of many of them but many of the higher profile guys remain. It shouldn't have surprised us that they continued to suck.
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner