Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Hakeem Nicks Against the Packers in the 2011 NFC Divisional

Anakim : 1/11/2019 10:34 am
I was watching the game last night on YouTube and I forgot how absolutely incredible Nicks was during that game. He followed up his amazing game against the Falcons a week before with an incredible performance in Green Bay. Obviously a lot is made about Plaxico against Al Harris in the 2007 Conference game against the Packers and rightfully so, but Nicks was absolutely stupendous against that same Packers four years later. Two TDs, including a Hail Mary PRAYER, with the other TD being a pinball-esque sprint to the end zone. Truly amazing to witness again.

Eli was also amazing. He was amazing that year and during that playoff run.


On another note, holy fucking shit. The refs were ATROCIOUS that day. Truly atrocious. How many fucking blown/egregious missed calls can one crew make/not make? I watched the Giants/Eagles 2002 Week 17 game (I was there) the other day and it was another truly horrendous performance by the refs. Even Collinsworth called them out on their ineptitude.
Pages: 1 2 | Show All |  Next>>
That roughing the passer on Rodgers still pisses me off to this day  
Geomon : 1/11/2019 10:43 am : link
That hit was hit was cleaner than fresh linen.
Both Eli and Nicks  
NYG07 : 1/11/2019 10:45 am : link
were brilliant during that playoff run. IIRC Nicks broke the record for yards in a single postseason. One of my favorite games ever. I went nuts after the hail mary play.

You are right about the refs. The blown call on the Jennings fumble and the roughing the passer on Osi were atrocious calls. It was great to dominate them in spite of that though.
Giants 37  
Harvest Blend : 1/11/2019 10:46 am : link
Green Bay 6
NFL/Referees 14
the rouging the passer  
cjac : 1/11/2019 10:46 am : link
and the botched fumble in first Q

the refs were terrible that day
The only NYG playoff game I ever attempted to watch at a bar  
Chris684 : 1/11/2019 10:48 am : link
but I was too distracted and left at halftime to watch at a buddy's place.

I was furious after the Jennings replay. A friend of mine actually bought me shot and told me to calm down. I think my level of anger surprised him.
10000 percent  
McNally's_Nuts : 1/11/2019 10:50 am : link
Eli Manning outplayed Aaron Rodgers that game and in the regular season game too.
I think I blacked out after the Hicks TD at the end of the half.  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 1/11/2019 10:51 am : link
Not due to alcohol, but because a friend hit me in the head because he was so excited.
I had to work that Sunday  
McNally's_Nuts : 1/11/2019 10:54 am : link
and I nearly quit when I couldn't get the day off.

Luckily game started at 4:15 and we closed at 5 that day. Still put the game on at 4.

I watched the hail mary pass from outside the bar window of Bounce Sporting Club when it was still there on the upper east side.
RE: Giants 37  
Jimmy Googs : 1/11/2019 10:55 am : link
In comment 14258169 Harvest Blend said:
Quote:
Green Bay 6
NFL/Referees 14


exactly
great game that was.  
Giants86 : 1/11/2019 10:57 am : link
I was so confident after that game. Knew we were SB caliber.
Nicks was a monster during those playoffs  
Jimmy Googs : 1/11/2019 10:58 am : link
I think Larry Fitzgerald had an unbelievable post-season the year that Arizona made it to SuperBowl...the best I recall for a WR. But Nicks only a few notches below.
RE: I had to work that Sunday  
Anakim : 1/11/2019 10:59 am : link
In comment 14258181 McNally's_Nuts said:
Quote:
and I nearly quit when I couldn't get the day off.

Luckily game started at 4:15 and we closed at 5 that day. Still put the game on at 4.

I watched the hail mary pass from outside the bar window of Bounce Sporting Club when it was still there on the upper east side.


Where was Bounce?
RE: RE: I had to work that Sunday  
McNally's_Nuts : 1/11/2019 11:02 am : link
In comment 14258191 Anakim said:
Quote:
In comment 14258181 McNally's_Nuts said:


Quote:


and I nearly quit when I couldn't get the day off.

Luckily game started at 4:15 and we closed at 5 that day. Still put the game on at 4.

I watched the hail mary pass from outside the bar window of Bounce Sporting Club when it was still there on the upper east side.



Where was Bounce?


Somewhere in the 70s on either 2nd or 3rd avenue.
That Packers team scored...  
Ryan : 1/11/2019 11:06 am : link
...the 3rd most points in a single season in NFL history behind only the '07 Patriots and '13 Broncos. For all the talk discrediting the SB runs it's another point of evidence that those teams faced about the tallest mountain to climb that you could have put in front of them.
RE: the rouging the passer  
bradshaw44 : 1/11/2019 11:10 am : link
In comment 14258170 cjac said:
Quote:
and the botched fumble in first Q

the refs were terrible that day


They actually called the right call on the field as a fumble and then reviewed it and overturned it!!! That will forever be why I believe the refs are instructed to try and help the team with the most popularity at the time. Someone should post the gif. of that fumble. I'm getting mad just thinking about it.
Nicks was the best player on that 2011 team  
GoBlue6599 : 1/11/2019 11:12 am : link
Better then Eli Cruz Rolle Osi Tuck you name it guy was a animal and just dominated.... A few years later when he wasn’t the same player the fans crapped all over him and accused him of being a “dog”
He’s a classic example of how the fans only love you when you’re scoring TDs.. Hakeem never got his big payday
RE: Nicks was the best player on that 2011 team  
dep026 : 1/11/2019 11:18 am : link
In comment 14258212 GoBlue6599 said:
Quote:
Better then Eli Cruz Rolle Osi Tuck you name it guy was a animal and just dominated.... A few years later when he wasn’t the same player the fans crapped all over him and accused him of being a “dog”
He’s a classic example of how the fans only love you when you’re scoring TDs.. Hakeem never got his big payday


No he wasnt. Not even close. He wasnt even better than Cruz that year. The top 3 is simple...

Eli
JPP
Cruz
Agree with Dep regarding those 3 during Regular Season  
Jimmy Googs : 1/11/2019 11:24 am : link
but post-season Nicks jumps up into the group...
RE: Agree with Dep regarding those 3 during Regular Season  
McNally's_Nuts : 1/11/2019 11:32 am : link
In comment 14258225 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
but post-season Nicks jumps up into the group...


And still Eli was the best player on the Giants.
RE: Agree with Dep regarding those 3 during Regular Season  
dep026 : 1/11/2019 11:32 am : link
In comment 14258225 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
but post-season Nicks jumps up into the group...


Oh I agree there. Postseason Nicks was a beast. I apologize if he meant postseason... he would probably be behind Eli then.
Could be wrong  
ryanmkeane : 1/11/2019 11:40 am : link
but I believe Nicks owns the NFL record for most receiving yards in a single postseason.
It’s also a common misconception that the Giants  
mfsd : 1/11/2019 11:47 am : link
running game wasn’t good that season. They finished last in the NFL in rushing yards in 2011, but that was in no small way bc they were very banged up during the season - Bradshaw was in and out of the lineup during the season, Jacobs missed a couple games, and Baas and Beatty both battled injuries and missed time.

All of them got healthy and/or sucked it up and played through pain in the playoffs, and their running game was a big weapon down the stretch and during our Super Bowl run.

One of my enduring memories of that win in a Green Bay is Jacobs and Bradshaw putting the game away in the 4th quarter.
RE: RE: Nicks was the best player on that 2011 team  
GoBlue6599 : 1/11/2019 11:48 am : link
In comment 14258221 dep026 said:
Quote:
In comment 14258212 GoBlue6599 said:


Quote:


Better then Eli Cruz Rolle Osi Tuck you name it guy was a animal and just dominated.... A few years later when he wasn’t the same player the fans crapped all over him and accused him of being a “dog”
He’s a classic example of how the fans only love you when you’re scoring TDs.. Hakeem never got his big payday



No he wasnt. Not even close. He wasnt even better than Cruz that year. The top 3 is simple...

Eli
JPP
Cruz

Let me clarify my comments in those playoffs Hakeem Nicks dominated from his 10 catch game in the Super Bowl to him taking 10 yard passes and turning them into 50 yard tds vs Atlanta/ Green Bay to his brilliant Hail Mary catch in Green Bay.. IMO Hakeem Nicks was the best player on that 2011 team and in the playoffs it wasn’t close
Eli was the best player  
Osi Osi Osi OyOyOy : 1/11/2019 11:56 am : link
but Nicks was incredible and it's a shame how this performance gets overlooked some. It wasn't the clinical whooping that Plaxico put on Al Harris, but the amount of game-changing plays Nicks made in this game was just special.

Cruz vs. Nicks was always a toss-up that year. Cruz was a gamebreaker with the big plays all year but Nicks was the #1 on the outside drawing the most attention.

I think JPP was clearly our 2nd best player that year though. He was looking like the next Bruce Smith that year, just an animal.
RE: RE: Agree with Dep regarding those 3 during Regular Season  
Jimmy Googs : 1/11/2019 12:01 pm : link
In comment 14258232 McNally's_Nuts said:
Quote:
In comment 14258225 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


but post-season Nicks jumps up into the group...



And still Eli was the best player on the Giants.


without a doubt...
RE: It’s also a common misconception that the Giants  
Jimmy Googs : 1/11/2019 12:04 pm : link
In comment 14258251 mfsd said:
Quote:
running game wasn’t good that season. They finished last in the NFL in rushing yards in 2011, but that was in no small way bc they were very banged up during the season - Bradshaw was in and out of the lineup during the season, Jacobs missed a couple games, and Baas and Beatty both battled injuries and missed time.

All of them got healthy and/or sucked it up and played through pain in the playoffs, and their running game was a big weapon down the stretch and during our Super Bowl run.

One of my enduring memories of that win in a Green Bay is Jacobs and Bradshaw putting the game away in the 4th quarter.


I recall a ridiculous amount of times during the regular season the Eli had to convert 3rd & long. Mostly because the Oline got no push in running game way too often on first and/or second down.

things improved as playoffs came into sight...
Except for the 49'er game where Cruz went off  
Stu11 : 1/11/2019 12:05 pm : link
Nicks was an absolute beast that playoff run. Un-coverable. Down to the last TD drive vs the Pats where he had some huge catches. And yea the scary thing is besides maybe the Steelers-Seahawks SB that Green Bay game may have been one of the worst officiated playoff games I have ever seen against us and we still destroyed them.
Damn it pisses me off with all the injuries during Eli's prime  
Jim in Forest Hills : 1/11/2019 12:11 pm : link
Giants would have probably had another ring if Nicks and Cruz hadn't gotten hurt. Add in guys like Phillips and Terrell Thomas, they lost so much talent, not just for a year but career wise!

This is what was..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 1/11/2019 12:12 pm : link
unbelievable:

Quote:
They actually called the right call on the field as a fumble and then reviewed it and overturned it!!


There was absolutely no evidence to suggest it wasn't a fumble, and if you remember correctly, we never heard the evidence. They went to commercial and when they came back, Leavy awarded the Packers the ball.
I remember being confident going into that game  
BrettNYG10 : 1/11/2019 12:17 pm : link
But that was such a dominant performance.
Nicks, Cruz, Manningham, Boss, the best receiving corps the Giants  
SterlingArcher : 1/11/2019 12:23 pm : link
ever had, and I have been following this team since 1955.
RE: Nicks, Cruz, Manningham, Boss, the best receiving corps the Giants  
Anakim : 1/11/2019 12:24 pm : link
In comment 14258292 SterlingArcher said:
Quote:
ever had, and I have been following this team since 1955.


Boss wasn't on that team
RE: Nicks, Cruz, Manningham, Boss, the best receiving corps the Giants  
dep026 : 1/11/2019 12:25 pm : link
In comment 14258292 SterlingArcher said:
Quote:
ever had, and I have been following this team since 1955.


Too bad they never played together all at once :)
Great game  
NYG007 : 1/11/2019 12:39 pm : link
and worst officiated game I have seen since our rip off playoff loss in SF.

That catch and run where Nicks ran right thru the middle  
Ten Ton Hammer : 1/11/2019 12:41 pm : link
of the Atlanta defense has to be one of the best plays in Giants postseason history.
RE: That catch and run where Nicks ran right thru the middle  
dep026 : 1/11/2019 12:55 pm : link
In comment 14258328 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
of the Atlanta defense has to be one of the best plays in Giants postseason history.


One that seems surreal. As if the falcon defenders were stuck in mud and Nicks turned into Usain Bolt.
RE: the rouging the passer  
mrvax : 1/11/2019 12:57 pm : link
In comment 14258208 bradshaw44 said:
Quote:
In comment 14258170 cjac said:


Quote:


and the botched fumble in first Q

the refs were terrible that day



They actually called the right call on the field as a fumble and then reviewed it and overturned it!!! That will forever be why I believe the refs are instructed to try and help the team with the most popularity at the time. Someone should post the gif. of that fumble. I'm getting mad just thinking about it.


Many here seem to forget the worst ref performance in 2011. It was the regular season game Giants vs. Packers. I knew then and still believe now that refs do have an agenda in some games.

This NFC Divisional game was also unfairly called. So yes, the Giants beat a great team and lousy refs!
Wow, blast from the past  
MetsAreBack : 1/11/2019 1:04 pm : link
i'd completely forgotten Collinsworth shared the both with Buck and Aikman in the early 2000s...
RE: 10000 percent  
cjac : 1/11/2019 1:37 pm : link
In comment 14258177 McNally's_Nuts said:
Quote:
Eli Manning outplayed Aaron Rodgers that game and in the regular season game too.


Ballard scored that TD
RE: Nicks, Cruz, Manningham, Boss, the best receiving corps the Giants  
cjac : 1/11/2019 1:39 pm : link
In comment 14258292 SterlingArcher said:
Quote:
ever had, and I have been following this team since 1955.


TE's were Ballard and Bear Pascoe I think
Ballard made some  
Dnew15 : 1/11/2019 2:16 pm : link
real tough catches over the middle and down the seam on that playoff run too - much like Boss did on the previous run. Eli made some great throws high to those guys and those guys went up and got it and got drilled.
I remember thinking that Jake Ballard and Kevin Boss' moms must hate Eli!
Actually..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 1/11/2019 2:19 pm : link
Ballard and Boss were injured while running the ball.

Boss sustained two concussions trying to gain extra yardage and Ballard took a hit to his knee.

Shockey received a concussion on a personal foul on an overthrown ball.
Nicks  
Les in TO : 1/11/2019 2:26 pm : link
was a beast that game. Damn shame how his injury derailed his career
After that post-season  
RinR : 1/11/2019 2:31 pm : link
I was convinced that Nicks would be a fixture at #1WR for the Giants for awhile. So of course, after I get his jersey his career starts to go downhill.


I'm always amazed  
an_idol_mind : 1/11/2019 2:34 pm : link
at how confident I was throughout the playoffs in 2011. Throughout the season they always felt like a team that was about to implode. Then they beat Dallas to clinch the division and I immediately thought, "Here we go again." It wasn't until Bradshaw accidentally scored in the Super Bowl that I thought the team might lose a game.
RE: This is what was..  
an_idol_mind : 1/11/2019 2:40 pm : link
In comment 14258281 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
unbelievable:



Quote:


They actually called the right call on the field as a fumble and then reviewed it and overturned it!!



There was absolutely no evidence to suggest it wasn't a fumble, and if you remember correctly, we never heard the evidence. They went to commercial and when they came back, Leavy awarded the Packers the ball.


It was actually worse than that. The Packers threw the challenge flag, but never got charged a challenge because the refs changed the ruling before the review. The Giants wound up throwing the flag to trigger a review. Then, despite clear evidence that it was a fumble, the refs still sided with the Packers.
Slow ass Ballard led all TEs in yards per reception that year.  
shockeyisthebest8056 : 1/11/2019 2:41 pm : link
The 2 guys directly in front of him in that statistic were Antonio Brown and AJ Green.
I'm not saying that they were  
Dnew15 : 1/11/2019 2:45 pm : link
injured on any of those throws/hits...what I am saying is that they went up and got a couple of throws that afterwards I remember watching and thinking - "man, that was a hell of a throw and catch, how did he get up?"
RE: Slow ass Ballard led all TEs in yards per reception that year.  
Jimmy Googs : 1/11/2019 2:46 pm : link
In comment 14258605 shockeyisthebest8056 said:
Quote:
The 2 guys directly in front of him in that statistic were Antonio Brown and AJ Green.
\

remember Ballard's game versus Pats during Regular Season?

huge...
One of my favorite players of that era  
madgiantscow009 : 1/11/2019 2:47 pm : link
3 touchdowns in the opening game of Metlife.

He was on pace for 90 catches and 18 touchdowns a year he got injured.
Pages: 1 2 | Show All |  Next>>
Back to the Corner