Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Hakeem Nicks Against the Packers in the 2011 NFC Divisional

Anakim : 1/11/2019 10:34 am
I was watching the game last night on YouTube and I forgot how absolutely incredible Nicks was during that game. He followed up his amazing game against the Falcons a week before with an incredible performance in Green Bay. Obviously a lot is made about Plaxico against Al Harris in the 2007 Conference game against the Packers and rightfully so, but Nicks was absolutely stupendous against that same Packers four years later. Two TDs, including a Hail Mary PRAYER, with the other TD being a pinball-esque sprint to the end zone. Truly amazing to witness again.

Eli was also amazing. He was amazing that year and during that playoff run.


On another note, holy fucking shit. The refs were ATROCIOUS that day. Truly atrocious. How many fucking blown/egregious missed calls can one crew make/not make? I watched the Giants/Eagles 2002 Week 17 game (I was there) the other day and it was another truly horrendous performance by the refs. Even Collinsworth called them out on their ineptitude.
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
That year, i swear Ballard was our TE for the future.  
GMAN4LIFE : 1/11/2019 3:01 pm : link
The guy was an awesome receiving TE. Literally everything thrown at him, he would catch. that year when i went to the stadium, i kept saying in the stands. "Throw it to Ballard, the guy catches everything".

When he got injured in the SuperBowl was tragic. He tried to get back in and he did a cut and just fell to the floor in pain. It was sooooo sad.

Sucks that he wasnt but damn he made some incredible catches.
RE: RE: the rouging the passer  
santacruzom : 1/11/2019 3:50 pm : link
In comment 14258208 bradshaw44 said:
Quote:
In comment 14258170 cjac said:


Quote:


and the botched fumble in first Q

the refs were terrible that day



They actually called the right call on the field as a fumble and then reviewed it and overturned it!!! That will forever be why I believe the refs are instructed to try and help the team with the most popularity at the time. Someone should post the gif. of that fumble. I'm getting mad just thinking about it.


I just read that they called him down, Coughlin challenged, and the ruling was upheld.

Here's the GIF

I wonder what Eli's carrer stats in Lambau are?  
ron mexico : 1/11/2019 3:54 pm : link
he always seems to play lights out there
RE: RE: RE: the rouging the passer  
Blue Dream : 1/11/2019 4:31 pm : link
In comment 14258777 santacruzom said:
Quote:
In comment 14258208 bradshaw44 said:


Quote:


In comment 14258170 cjac said:


Quote:


and the botched fumble in first Q

the refs were terrible that day



They actually called the right call on the field as a fumble and then reviewed it and overturned it!!! That will forever be why I believe the refs are instructed to try and help the team with the most popularity at the time. Someone should post the gif. of that fumble. I'm getting mad just thinking about it.



I just read that they called him down, Coughlin challenged, and the ruling was upheld.

Here's the GIF



They actually initially called it a fumble on the field and then reversed themselves on the field without actually reviewing it. This forced Coughlin to challenge and the call was inexplicably upheld
RE: I wonder what Eli's carrer stats in Lambau are?  
rsjem1979 : 1/11/2019 4:43 pm : link
In comment 14258782 ron mexico said:
Quote:
he always seems to play lights out there


I think you're only remembering the playoff wins. He was great in 2011, and solid in miserable cold in 2007, but other than that it's really not good.

He threw four INTs the week after the Eagles debacle in 2010 and the Giants lost 45-17.

The other two games were just meh.
That Playoff Run  
lax counsel : 1/11/2019 4:49 pm : link
Featured so many great individual performances. Eli in SF was one of the best QB performances I've ever seen. Hope for more days like that very soon.
RE: RE: I wonder what Eli's carrer stats in Lambau are?  
ron mexico : 1/11/2019 4:50 pm : link
In comment 14258859 rsjem1979 said:
Quote:
In comment 14258782 ron mexico said:


Quote:


he always seems to play lights out there



I think you're only remembering the playoff wins. He was great in 2011, and solid in miserable cold in 2007, but other than that it's really not good.

He threw four INTs the week after the Eagles debacle in 2010 and the Giants lost 45-17.

The other two games were just meh.


I remember him having a good game against Green Bay earlier in 2011, but maybe that was at home?

And playoffs in 2016 he was good.
RE: RE: RE: I wonder what Eli's carrer stats in Lambau are?  
rsjem1979 : 1/11/2019 5:02 pm : link
In comment 14258869 ron mexico said:
Quote:



I remember him having a good game against Green Bay earlier in 2011, but maybe that was at home?

And playoffs in 2016 he was good.


He was okay in 2016, though his receivers didn't do him any favors in that game.
For me the highlight of that game was the last two plays in the first  
Ira : 1/11/2019 5:11 pm : link
half. Time was running out, but Bradshaw ran for 23 and got out of bounds. Then Eli heaves it to Nicks for a 37 yard touchdown which ended the half.
....  
Jay on the Island : 1/11/2019 8:35 pm : link
That was the game where Nicks established himself as a top 5 WR in the NFL. It's a shame that injuries derailed what would have been a great career.
The amazing thing about Nicks.  
PetesHereNow : 1/11/2019 8:45 pm : link
He was in his 3rd season during that game in January 2012. Looked like an absolute star that whole playoffs. A mere 2 years later in March 2014, he left the Giants after some injuries to sign a 1 yr 5 million dollar deal with the Colts.

He'll turn 31 next week. Such a shame the injuries ruined his career.
RE: For me the highlight of that game was the last two plays in the first  
gmenatlarge : 1/11/2019 8:46 pm : link
In comment 14258898 Ira said:
Quote:
half. Time was running out, but Bradshaw ran for 23 and got out of bounds. Then Eli heaves it to Nicks for a 37 yard touchdown which ended the half.


Actually the Hail Mary didn’t end the half because they ran it on third down before the Packers D was ready and probably the reason it worked! Excellent work by Coughlin and the giants, they were expecting the short throw t9 set up the FG.
RE: RE: For me the highlight of that game was the last two plays in the first  
rsjem1979 : 1/12/2019 8:14 am : link
In comment 14259068 gmenatlarge said:
Quote:
In comment 14258898 Ira said:


Quote:


half. Time was running out, but Bradshaw ran for 23 and got out of bounds. Then Eli heaves it to Nicks for a 37 yard touchdown which ended the half.



Actually the Hail Mary didn’t end the half because they ran it on third down before the Packers D was ready and probably the reason it worked! Excellent work by Coughlin and the giants, they were expecting the short throw t9 set up the FG.


The Hail Mary most definitely did end the half - I just watched the entire game last night. Bradshaw got out of bounds with 6 seconds, and while Joe Buck and Troy Aikman were pontificating about the Giants throwing a quick sideline pass and kicking a FG, Nicks was posting up with literally nobody in front of him.

Side note: that was just one of many horrendous plays by the Packers in that game. Rodgers missed two wide open receivers for potential big plays, and they dropped a bunch of passes that would have kept drives going. They played an absolutely atrocious game.

Also, the two blown calls were as bad as we all remember.
RE: RE: RE: For me the highlight of that game was the last two plays in the first  
gmenatlarge : 1/12/2019 4:26 pm : link
In comment 14259219 rsjem1979 said:
Quote:
In comment 14259068 gmenatlarge said:


Quote:


In comment 14258898 Ira said:


Quote:


half. Time was running out, but Bradshaw ran for 23 and got out of bounds. Then Eli heaves it to Nicks for a 37 yard touchdown which ended the half.



Actually the Hail Mary didn’t end the half because they ran it on third down before the Packers D was ready and probably the reason it worked! Excellent work by Coughlin and the giants, they were expecting the short throw t9 set up the FG.



The Hail Mary most definitely did end the half - I just watched the entire game last night. Bradshaw got out of bounds with 6 seconds, and while Joe Buck and Troy Aikman were pontificating about the Giants throwing a quick sideline pass and kicking a FG, Nicks was posting up with literally nobody in front of him.

Side note: that was just one of many horrendous plays by the Packers in that game. Rodgers missed two wide open receivers for potential big plays, and they dropped a bunch of passes that would have kept drives going. They played an absolutely atrocious game.

Also, the two blown calls were as bad as we all remember.


Ok, just going from memory, but since it was 3rd down the Packers were expecting the short throw for the FG and were caught off guard by the Hail Mary.
Nicks had the best playoff run of any Giant WR ever that year  
TD : 1/12/2019 6:49 pm : link
.
RE: RE: Nicks was the best player on that 2011 team  
djm : 1/12/2019 8:59 pm : link
In comment 14258221 dep026 said:
Quote:
In comment 14258212 GoBlue6599 said:


Quote:


Better then Eli Cruz Rolle Osi Tuck you name it guy was a animal and just dominated.... A few years later when he wasn’t the same player the fans crapped all over him and accused him of being a “dog”
He’s a classic example of how the fans only love you when you’re scoring TDs.. Hakeem never got his big payday



No he wasnt. Not even close. He wasnt even better than Cruz that year. The top 3 is simple...

Eli
JPP
Cruz


How can you say not even close? Nicks was absolutely one of the most integral players on that team. We’re splittin hairs at who was the best...
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner