Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

NFT: NHL Rangers

baadbill : 2/3/2019 9:01 am
Quinn has benched DeAngelo for ongoing “maturity issues” ... despite his good play... see link below.

According to a different report by the NY Post, the incident that led to his benching occurred during a game 3 games ago and he was immediately benched during the game. He has not played since (ie he has sat the last two games).

I wonder what behavior this could possibly be

(that’s sarcasm)
Link - ( New Window )
I dont see the point of speculating  
MetsAreBack : 2/3/2019 10:28 am : link

Good for coach though - we used to see JT Miller, Brandon Dubisky and others benched for games at a time under prior regimes for maturity issues as well.
I'll miss Zucc so much  
Anakim : 2/3/2019 10:45 am : link
One of the most beloved players in New York sports


Having said that, I think we get more for him than we did for Grabner
I think it was for barking at  
Jay in Toronto : 2/3/2019 11:12 am : link
A linesman, at least the latest one.

I hope Quinn is like Parcells and knows that different players respond to different handling. Hope he is not a one size fits all coach.

He dies seem to spend lots of time 1:1 discussion, so I assume players understand what he wants and he's not being arbitary.
RE: I'll miss Zucc so much  
MetsAreBack : 2/3/2019 11:30 am : link
In comment 14285065 Anakim said:
Quote:
One of the most beloved players in New York sports


Having said that, I think we get more for him than we did for Grabner


I should hope so... but yeah, rental wings don't seem to get much return last few years at the deadline.
RE: I'll miss Zucc so much  
baadbill : 2/3/2019 12:01 pm : link
In comment 14285065 Anakim said:
Quote:
One of the most beloved players in New York sports


Having said that, I think we get more for him than we did for Grabner


The assists he had the other night had me thinking that he is one of the best passers I have ever seen in my 50+ years watching hockey.
RE: RE: I'll miss Zucc so much  
pjcas18 : 2/3/2019 12:47 pm : link
In comment 14285144 baadbill said:
Quote:
In comment 14285065 Anakim said:


Quote:


One of the most beloved players in New York sports


Having said that, I think we get more for him than we did for Grabner



The assists he had the other night had me thinking that he is one of the best passers I have ever seen in my 50+ years watching hockey.


Seriously? Do you just watch the Rangers? and 50+ years? I like when people are homers it means they love their team and the sport so of this is harsh it's not my intent, but this calls into question do you really know what you're watching and I know I'll seem like a dick for saying that, but I mean it with respect.

Zucc is a good player, very good, defied the odds with his size, but that's very extreme IMO, beyond extreme actually. You of course are entitled to your opinion.

I'm not even sure I'd have him in the top 5 Rangers passers I've seen in the past 25 years and I'm not a Rangers fan, let alone "one of the best passers" in all of hockey over 50+ years - that's crazy.

Seriously, not being a dick, but you should look up some youtubes of players like Pavel Datsyuk, Johnny Gaudreau, Anze Kopitar, Joe Thornton, Nicklas Backstrom, Adam Oates, Erik Karlsson, Evgeni Malkin and that doesn't even consider players I put in the you should know them category of Crosby, Kane, or of course Gretzky, Lemieux, Stastny, Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Orr, Coffey, etc.

Gretzky is probably the best passer I've seen in the "modern era", Datsyuk in this version of the modern era and Crosby not far behind. Orr is up there too. Joe Thornton, such an underrated passer, and I was not a fan of his soft style of play, but the guy is a shoe-in for the HOF and a lot of it is because of his passing. Kane, Gaudreau, Bergeron, all make passes that wow me nearly every game.

Rangers or people have played for the Rangers who come to mind are Leetch, Messier, Gretzky, Jagr, Lindros - all light years beyond Zuccarello - and more too, probably MSL too, though by the time he hit the Rangers he was not his peak self obviously.

In the game today there are probably 100 better passers than Zuccarello, in the past 50 years probably 1000.

just my opinion.

And way to jump to conclusions on DeAngelo.
RE: RE: RE: I'll miss Zucc so much  
baadbill : 2/3/2019 2:09 pm : link
In comment 14285181 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 14285144 baadbill said:


Quote:


In comment 14285065 Anakim said:


Quote:


One of the most beloved players in New York sports


Having said that, I think we get more for him than we did for Grabner



The assists he had the other night had me thinking that he is one of the best passers I have ever seen in my 50+ years watching hockey.



Seriously? Do you just watch the Rangers?

.


Yes. I have said many times here that I have never watched a NHL hockey game that the Rangers weren’t playing. But I’ve seen the majority of Ranger games over the past 50 years. And Zucc is one of the best passers I’ve ever seen.
Missing a player  
Jay in Toronto : 2/3/2019 3:11 pm : link
Don't want to copy previous text, but missing a player is not only about his skills.

I miss Nash -- is he in my top ten Rangers ever? Probably not. But i miss his character and the way he could dominate at times.

I miss Orland Kurtenbach -- was he a Ranger great? No. But I have found memories of his going into the corner with two guys draped over him and he would still get a pass of to the net.

So I will miss Zuck in his munchkin-like presence giving 110% and making amazing passes.
Let's not make yet another thread about Bill  
MetsAreBack : 2/3/2019 3:25 pm : link
.
Sorry  
Jay in Toronto : 2/3/2019 4:23 pm : link
should be 'fond' memories.

RE: I'll miss Zucc so much  
The 12th Man : 2/3/2019 7:47 pm : link
In comment 14285065 Anakim said:
Quote:
One of the most beloved players in New York sports


Having said that, I think we get more for him than we did for Grabner


He is not even in the top 10. He may not be a top 10 in Rangers history.
RE: RE: I'll miss Zucc so much  
Anakim : 2/3/2019 9:57 pm : link
In comment 14285616 The 12th Man said:
Quote:
In comment 14285065 Anakim said:


Quote:


One of the most beloved players in New York sports


Having said that, I think we get more for him than we did for Grabner



He is not even in the top 10. He may not be a top 10 in Rangers history.



Haha, Zucc is more popular today in his final days than any Islanders player...maybe ever.
RE: RE: RE: I'll miss Zucc so much  
feelflows : 2/3/2019 10:22 pm : link
In comment 14285957 Anakim said:
Quote:
In comment 14285616 The 12th Man said:


Quote:


In comment 14285065 Anakim said:


Quote:


One of the most beloved players in New York sports


Having said that, I think we get more for him than we did for Grabner



He is not even in the top 10. He may not be a top 10 in Rangers history.




Haha, Zucc is more popular today in his final days than any Islanders player...maybe ever.


You're right!! And I bet your daddy is stronger than my daddy!!!

It's 10:21 pm.. better go ni-ni... mommy drops you off at daycare at 7am!!!

Seriously.. you should save your posts, wait an hour, read them again before posting.
RE: RE: RE: RE: I'll miss Zucc so much  
Anakim : 2/3/2019 10:42 pm : link
In comment 14286080 feelflows said:
Quote:
In comment 14285957 Anakim said:


Quote:


In comment 14285616 The 12th Man said:


Quote:


In comment 14285065 Anakim said:


Quote:


One of the most beloved players in New York sports


Having said that, I think we get more for him than we did for Grabner



He is not even in the top 10. He may not be a top 10 in Rangers history.




Haha, Zucc is more popular today in his final days than any Islanders player...maybe ever.



You're right!! And I bet your daddy is stronger than my daddy!!!

It's 10:21 pm.. better go ni-ni... mommy drops you off at daycare at 7am!!!

Seriously.. you should save your posts, wait an hour, read them again before posting.


You Fishstick fans are delusional. No one gives a shit about hockey, let alone the Islanders. You think NYC cares about Anders Lee? 99% of New Yorkers wouldn't know who Mat Barzal was if he shit on their face.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I'll miss Zucc so much  
Rover : 2/3/2019 10:45 pm : link
In comment 14286152 Anakim said:
Quote:
In comment 14286080 feelflows said:


Quote:


In comment 14285957 Anakim said:


Quote:


In comment 14285616 The 12th Man said:


Quote:


In comment 14285065 Anakim said:


Quote:


One of the most beloved players in New York sports


Having said that, I think we get more for him than we did for Grabner



He is not even in the top 10. He may not be a top 10 in Rangers history.




Haha, Zucc is more popular today in his final days than any Islanders player...maybe ever.



You're right!! And I bet your daddy is stronger than my daddy!!!

It's 10:21 pm.. better go ni-ni... mommy drops you off at daycare at 7am!!!

Seriously.. you should save your posts, wait an hour, read them again before posting.



You Fishstick fans are delusional. No one gives a shit about hockey, let alone the Islanders. You think NYC cares about Anders Lee? 99% of New Yorkers wouldn't know who Mat Barzal was if he shit on their face.
I live inNew York and can verify this is accurate.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I'll miss Zucc so much  
Anakim : 2/3/2019 10:47 pm : link
In comment 14286162 Rover said:
Quote:
In comment 14286152 Anakim said:


Quote:


In comment 14286080 feelflows said:


Quote:


In comment 14285957 Anakim said:


Quote:


In comment 14285616 The 12th Man said:


Quote:


In comment 14285065 Anakim said:


Quote:


One of the most beloved players in New York sports


Having said that, I think we get more for him than we did for Grabner



He is not even in the top 10. He may not be a top 10 in Rangers history.




Haha, Zucc is more popular today in his final days than any Islanders player...maybe ever.



You're right!! And I bet your daddy is stronger than my daddy!!!

It's 10:21 pm.. better go ni-ni... mommy drops you off at daycare at 7am!!!

Seriously.. you should save your posts, wait an hour, read them again before posting.



You Fishstick fans are delusional. No one gives a shit about hockey, let alone the Islanders. You think NYC cares about Anders Lee? 99% of New Yorkers wouldn't know who Mat Barzal was if he shit on their face.

I live inNew York and can verify this is accurate.



Hudson, you're not helping
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I'll miss Zucc so much  
Mad Mike : 2/3/2019 11:09 pm : link
In comment 14286162 Rover said:
Quote:
I live inNew York and can verify this is accurate.

Survey data or gtfo.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I'll miss Zucc so much  
Jim in Scranton : 2/3/2019 11:52 pm : link
In comment 14286215 Mad Mike said:
Quote:
In comment 14286162 Rover said:


Quote:


I live inNew York and can verify this is accurate.


Survey data or gtfo.


LOLOLOLOL
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I'll miss Zucc so much  
Rover : 2/4/2019 9:57 am : link
In comment 14286215 Mad Mike said:
Quote:
In comment 14286162 Rover said:


Quote:


I live inNew York and can verify this is accurate.


Survey data or gtfo.

Actually I do collect survey data about NYC for my job, but it's just not sports.
LOLRangers  
NYerInMA : 2/4/2019 9:34 pm : link
They give the Kings their first win of the season when trailing after 2 periods, blew 3 separate 1-goal leads including an equalizer with under a minute to go in the 3rd, and Zibanejad hits a post which turns into a 2 on 1 which of course LA buries. Softy goals given up by Henrik on goals 3 and 4 imo.
Oh and LA's Kempe scored twice  
NYerInMA : 2/4/2019 9:36 pm : link
after not scoring at all this season prior to tonight.
Tough  
Carl in CT : 2/4/2019 9:39 pm : link
Loss
They worked hard and didn’t deserve the result.  
yatqb : 2/4/2019 10:00 pm : link
Hockey can be like that.
Don't fret. The tank rolls on.  
Anakim : 2/4/2019 10:18 pm : link
.
This team  
Kyle in NY : 2/5/2019 9:38 am : link
might actually be in a playoff spot if they could just hold a third period lead. Unbelievable. We're going on multiple years now of the same issues.

Picking up these loser points is useless both ways. I can appreciate that the team plays hard for Quinn and he seems to hold guys accountable, for the most part. But the team defense remains a collective shit show when holding onto a lead. Not seeing many improvements in that regard. Maybe the answer is just get better players, I don't know.

Mika now at a point per game and Kreider on pace for 38 goals. So that's cool
The defensemen collectively are the worst I've ever seen in the NHL  
Greg from LI : 2/5/2019 9:46 am : link
What the hell happened to Skjei? He wasn't a star or anything, but he showed some promise as a steady defenseman a few years ago. He is unbelievably awful now.
Yep, major disappointment  
Kyle in NY : 2/5/2019 10:01 am : link
Skjei was playing 2nd pair playoff minutes straight out of the minors in 2016, put up a 40 point season in his official rookie year, and has just gotten worse since then. Gave him a long term deal hoping to buy low after last season but I think his value has actually decreased.
The defense seems like a disaster  
Anakim : 2/5/2019 10:05 am : link
Pionk had a hot start, but has taken a major step back. I think he gets benched for Tony D next game.
Carp on the Athletic  
Jay in Toronto : 2/5/2019 10:11 am : link
wonders about 7 defensemen and that keeping switching the pairings might not be helping.

Skej seemed to improve when he was consistently paired with McQuaid.
Pionk  
pjcas18 : 2/5/2019 12:41 pm : link
needs to play with a solid stay-at-home defenseman.,

His game is offense, and I think his defense will improve, but defensive pairings have importance IMO.

McQuaid would be a good choice if he could play LD.

I think Victor Mete is as good comp for Pionk, Mete was sent down to the minors last year, this year he's playing top pair, but that's mainly because he's partnered with Shea Weber. Torey Krug is another decent comp for Pionk, but Krug unfortunately is far better offensively (so far).

The Rangers don't have a Shea Weber, but you do what you can with what you have.
RE: The defensemen collectively are the worst I've ever seen in the NHL  
Essex : 2/5/2019 12:46 pm : link
In comment 14287742 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
What the hell happened to Skjei? He wasn't a star or anything, but he showed some promise as a steady defenseman a few years ago. He is unbelievably awful now.


I agree with this about our defense, and I have often wondered instead of trading everybody like Kreider, Zucc, and maybe even Hayes, why not just try to work on our blueline and keep the core of our offense, which maybe I am wrong, but I just do not think is bad or guys we can't compete with in the near future.
RE: Pionk  
Jay in Toronto : 2/5/2019 12:57 pm : link
In comment 14287978 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
needs to play with a solid stay-at-home defenseman.,

His game is offense, and I think his defense will improve, but defensive pairings have importance IMO.

McQuaid would be a good choice if he could play LD.

I think Victor Mete is as good comp for Pionk, Mete was sent down to the minors last year, this year he's playing top pair, but that's mainly because he's partnered with Shea Weber. Torey Krug is another decent comp for Pionk, but Krug unfortunately is far better offensively (so far).

The Rangers don't have a Shea Weber, but you do what you can with what you have.


Good points. He is also undersized and may be wearing down.
RE: RE: The defensemen collectively are the worst I've ever seen in the NHL  
Jay in Toronto : 2/5/2019 12:59 pm : link
In comment 14287984 Essex said:
Quote:
In comment 14287742 Greg from LI said:


Quote:


What the hell happened to Skjei? He wasn't a star or anything, but he showed some promise as a steady defenseman a few years ago. He is unbelievably awful now.



I agree with this about our defense, and I have often wondered instead of trading everybody like Kreider, Zucc, and maybe even Hayes, why not just try to work on our blueline and keep the core of our offense, which maybe I am wrong, but I just do not think is bad or guys we can't compete with in the near future.


I'm hoping one of the trades gets us a young ready D man. Longer term I'm hoping re Miller. Maybe the guy FROM TB will catch on. He apparently was the 'prize' in the trade.
We are in year 1 of a multi-year rebuild  
MetsAreBack : 2/5/2019 5:39 pm : link
(last year doesnt really count since they signed Shattenkirk and thought they could compete until the letter was sent end of January)

I'm fine with the losses and continued house cleaning. Wake me up in 2-3 years when if done properly the team is ready to compete for a postseason again.

The kids do play hard, I'll give them that. Oh.. and D'Angelo played a lot of minutes... I guess Bill's accusation that he raped 3 woman, used bigoted remarks against teammates and assaulted referees... might have been a little exaggerated?
Yup, at least 2 more years for the rebuild.  
yatqb : 2/5/2019 5:54 pm : link
And it would be great if we somehow got a top pick, bur we're playing too well for that. Right now we're about 10th, right?
Looks like McLeod has been traded to Nashville  
Mad Mike : 2/6/2019 1:05 pm : link
for a 7th round pick. Getting even that much seems like a good deal.
lonk - ( New Window )
RE: Looks like McLeod has been traded to Nashville  
Anakim : 2/6/2019 1:08 pm : link
In comment 14289009 Mad Mike said:
Quote:
for a 7th round pick. Getting even that much seems like a good deal. lonk - ( New Window )


Our nightmare is over
Oh? You think the nightmare is over?  
Greg from LI : 2/6/2019 1:26 pm : link
This means there's an hole in the roster that can only be filled by a gritty meathead. They replaced Glass with McLeod - think about how bad the guy who replaces him is.
Pick is  
Jay in Toronto : 2/6/2019 4:12 pm : link
2020 draft.
Bad period  
Jim in Scranton : 2/6/2019 9:45 pm : link
.
Ton of  
JayBinQueens : 2/6/2019 10:11 pm : link
Boston fans in the building
Such a shame that Zibanejad's breakout season  
Greg from LI : 2/6/2019 10:48 pm : link
Is being wasted on this wretched season.
Incredible OT 3 on 3 action.  
yatqb : 2/6/2019 10:55 pm : link
Going to the shootout now.
pjcas18  
Jay in Toronto : 2/6/2019 11:35 pm : link
You're welcome :)

(Sorry for the 1 point, but better than two, esp down 2 goals in the third).
Brutal  
MetsAreBack : 2/6/2019 11:41 pm : link
What a waste of a year. Two years now actually.

Detroit did this a few years back - my guess is a 3 year rebuild has become 4-5. We are playing too well
RE: Brutal  
Davisian : 2/7/2019 12:58 am : link
In comment 14289479 MetsAreBack said:
Quote:
What a waste of a year. Two years now actually.

Detroit did this a few years back - my guess is a 3 year rebuild has become 4-5. We are playing too well


Fuckin Quinn
That was a fun game to watch  
pjcas18 : 2/7/2019 8:24 am : link
even though I hate the Bruins and they took a point.

NHL should make OT sudden death untimed. it's 3v3, someone is going to score.

I loved watching that OT, 3v3 OT is something I was strongly against, but happily admit I love it.

Maye after 5 min if no one scores in OT get rid of offsides, make it like pond hockey.
That was one of the best  
Kyle in NY : 2/7/2019 10:17 am : link
OT periods I've seen since they stared 3v3. Enjoyed watching that game and Deangelo giving it back to Marchand after the shootout winner was funny. 10 goals for Chytil now, not bad at 19 years old.

As far as the team playing too well, it is what it is. While I know they'd probably be better off with a top 3 pick, it's not easy to tank in hockey. The league is so compact in the standings and it just takes a few bounces to find yourself in the middle. Even without a very good team. It is good to see Kreider and Zib taking that next step. They're still pretty young and should be part of the next contending team. Chytil, Buch, Deangelo all contributing. These are young pieces to build with. Those guys taking a step forward wouldn't make this a wasted season.

3 year rebuild, 4-5 years, who knows. Plenty of examples of teams with top 5 picks for years that are still stuck in the middle or worse. We've done a decent job stockpiling assets thus far and a few guys in the system do have upper echelon potential.
Very different personalities and styles  
Jay in Toronto : 2/7/2019 1:24 pm : link
but I hope Buch is taking to Quinn like D'Angelo is.

Coach will have earned his pay is he can help max out the two of them.
I'm still rooting for a Tank...  
MetsAreBack : 2/8/2019 10:07 am : link
but there is something fulfilling about the home domination of Carolina.

Going for ... 17... in a row at home tonight against Jint's Hurricanes.
Does the Daily News  
Jay in Toronto : 2/12/2019 11:49 am : link
cover the Rangers?
Second earthshaking move  
Jay in Toronto : 2/12/2019 3:08 pm : link
Mazanec for Canucks' seventh round pick

Blueshirt Banter - ( New Window )
Let's hope he helps  
Jay in Toronto : 2/12/2019 3:10 pm : link
Vancouver win!!!
Good game  
Jay in Toronto : 2/12/2019 10:32 pm : link
Rangers have nothing to be ashamed of.
Played very well  
MetsAreBack : 2/12/2019 10:55 pm : link
Happy with that result

Hopefully some studs gone for first round picks by our next game Friday - Hayes, Zucc and even maybe shatty!
Great result  
Jay in Toronto : 2/12/2019 11:20 pm : link
Played well, continued development yet didn't get points.
Back to the Corner