Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Who would you have picked as the MVP

jeffusedtobeonwebtv : 2/4/2019 6:24 am
First I realize the P stands for player, but I think if I could have I would pick the entire Pats' coaching staff, at least on the defensive side.

But if I had to pick a player, I think I would have gone with Sony Michel. He had 94 yards including a whole lot in that last drive starting from the 4 yard line that iced the game. He also scored the only touchdown of the game.

Edelman had 10 catches, but only 3 in the second half when the game was still on the line.
no  
mdthedream : 2/4/2019 6:25 am : link
Edleman was the right call. Yes the defense won the game.
Edelman is a perfect choice  
George from PA : 2/4/2019 6:42 am : link
As he is a grinder, typical NE player.

Probably doesn't start on any other team, but their, he is a Super Bowl MVP.
RE: Edelman is a perfect choice  
FStubbs : 2/4/2019 7:31 am : link
In comment 14286330 George from PA said:
Quote:
As he is a grinder, typical NE player.

Probably doesn't start on any other team, but their, he is a Super Bowl MVP.


He'd start for the Giants easily and I'm sure the Giants aren't the only team he'd start for.
Hightower  
Tuckrule : 2/4/2019 7:32 am : link
Or Julian
Michel picked up the TD  
UConn4523 : 2/4/2019 7:33 am : link
but Edelman converted 3rd down on more than half his catches (I believe). It was the correct choice.
RE: Hightower  
Tuckrule : 2/4/2019 7:35 am : link
In comment 14286343 Tuckrule said:
Quote:
Or Julian


To add. Hightower had 2 sacks 3 qb hits 2 tackle for loss and one PD
The punter for the Rams  
Jimmy Googs : 2/4/2019 7:37 am : link
...
Jared Goff  
dep026 : 2/4/2019 7:38 am : link
What a woofer of a game.
Edelman. He got all of those first downs and forced the Rams to  
Ira : 2/4/2019 7:42 am : link
double team him opening up things for other receivers.
Goff did not look, especially on 3rd downs but yet  
Jimmy Googs : 2/4/2019 7:49 am : link
if Cooks holds onto a perfect pass late in 4qtr the score is 10-10 with 4 minutes to go in the game.

Nice double blitz call by Pats on the next play to end it...
not look good  
Jimmy Googs : 2/4/2019 7:49 am : link
.
Goff had constant pressure.  
johnnyb : 2/4/2019 8:07 am : link
The right side of the Ram’s OL we’re losing the one on one battle. The RG especially. Made our line look adequate. And the Ram coaching staff were very slow to give him help.
Edelman or the Pats' punter  
GiantNatty : 2/4/2019 8:17 am : link
Edelman was a good choice. They couldn't stop him all night. 10 for 141 is an excellent night for a guy who was being doubled as often as he was.
I was hoping..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 2/4/2019 8:27 am : link
it would be Allen, but I knew that was an impossibility.

That game deserved a P as the MVP
How times have changed  
Archer : 2/4/2019 8:37 am : link
I was watching Edelman's collegiate highlights and he was a very good QB. He was Murray before Murray. He could run, pass, make all the plays. He was never given a chance at QB in the NFL because of his size.

I wonder if he came out of college now if he would have been given the opportunity to play QB?
In the postgame show..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 2/4/2019 8:38 am : link
Nate Burleson was calling Edelman a shoo-in for the HoF.

That immensely strengthens Eli's case
RE: In the postgame show..  
UConn4523 : 2/4/2019 8:48 am : link
In comment 14286411 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
Nate Burleson was calling Edelman a shoo-in for the HoF.

That immensely strengthens Eli's case


I really do think he gets in. There are exceptions to every rule and gathering tons of stats shouldn’t be the only metric. Winning has to matter at some point, and when you win at such a high rate a case can be made, IMO.
RE: Hightower  
Section331 : 2/4/2019 8:59 am : link
In comment 14286343 Tuckrule said:
Quote:
Or Julian


I thought it should have been Hightower. Edleman played well, but I don't see how you give an offensive player the MVP when they scored 13 pts.
RE: Edelman is a perfect choice  
cokeduplt : 2/4/2019 9:08 am : link
In comment 14286330 George from PA said:
Quote:
As he is a grinder, typical NE player.

Probably doesn't start on any other team, but their, he is a Super Bowl MVP.


He’s a starting slot receiver just about anywhere.
If Hightower had held onto that INT ball....  
Racer : 2/4/2019 9:12 am : link
....he would have had a strong case.

Can anybody think of another LB that plays the run like a d-lineman and is that instinctive when he's playing zone coverage?

Edelman deserved it.
It had to be Edelman  
Mike from Ohio : 2/4/2019 9:22 am : link
Who else jumped off the screen at all, on either side? Michel had a nice game, but Edelman was much more of a factor.

That was a really crappy game.
Another thing about Edelman. You sort of knew he'd have a big game  
Ira : 2/4/2019 9:36 am : link
before it even started.
Their  
Jay in Toronto : 2/4/2019 10:02 am : link
OL
Gilmore  
SHO'NUFF : 2/4/2019 10:11 am : link
on the Pat's D
RE: RE: In the postgame show..  
BillKo : 2/4/2019 10:47 am : link
In comment 14286421 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
In comment 14286411 FatMan in Charlotte said:


Quote:


Nate Burleson was calling Edelman a shoo-in for the HoF.

That immensely strengthens Eli's case



I really do think he gets in. There are exceptions to every rule and gathering tons of stats shouldn’t be the only metric. Winning has to matter at some point, and when you win at such a high rate a case can be made, IMO.


Boomer Esisason was back on his kick this morning with this.

I don't see it. We are talking HOF.....it's just not what you do in the playoffs. He's been a terrific playoff performer.

You need sustained achievement over your entire career.

The only case you could make is, Edelman is not done playing yet so in theory he could get there.

He also was deserving of the MVP IMO.
Boomer..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 2/4/2019 10:49 am : link
was also saying that last night after Burleson brought it up.

Said, "definite HoF'er".
for context...  
BillKo : 2/4/2019 10:52 am : link
....Edelman has scored exactly 30 TDs in his career.

HOF? Please............
RE: RE: Hightower  
ShockNRoll : 2/4/2019 10:56 am : link
In comment 14286435 Section331 said:
Quote:
In comment 14286343 Tuckrule said:


Quote:


Or Julian



I thought it should have been Hightower. Edleman played well, but I don't see how you give an offensive player the MVP when they scored 13 pts.


I think Edelman was the right call. No, their offense didn't light it up, but the sustained drives and third down conversions were just as big a part of their victory as anything the defense did. He was a massive role in field position, as the Rams were generally starting inside their own 10 yard line for most of the night. Allen really should have gotten some votes too, and Hightower with 2 sacks, but Edelman was the best player on the field last night.
Edelman  
PaulBlakeTSU : 2/4/2019 11:02 am : link
dominated the game. He not only got open, but he got wide open all game. Brady never had it so easy.

It's funny, though. He was suspended 4 games for PEDs to start the season. Imagine a baseball player suspended 40 games to start the season for PEDs, and then everyone talking about him being a HOFer in this era.

It blows me away how much less people associated with the sport that breaks people's brains care about PEDs.
Yeah, I saw a bunch of Pats' fans calling Edelman a HoFer  
Bramton1 : 2/4/2019 11:16 am : link
He's 148th in receptions, 248th in receiving yards, and doesn't come close to making the top 250 in receiving touchdowns. I was mocking them for saying Edelman is a HoFer and Eli is not.
RE: Edelman  
BillKo : 2/4/2019 11:20 am : link
In comment 14286671 PaulBlakeTSU said:
Quote:
dominated the game. He not only got open, but he got wide open all game. Brady never had it so easy.

It's funny, though. He was suspended 4 games for PEDs to start the season. Imagine a baseball player suspended 40 games to start the season for PEDs, and then everyone talking about him being a HOFer in this era.

It blows me away how much less people associated with the sport that breaks people's brains care about PEDs.


Guy tears his ACL.

Then comes back, but is suspended for games for PEDs.

Think that helped his recovery? He's comes back better t than ever. What else is he taking which isn't being detected.......
Edelman is NOT a Hall of Famer  
ShockNRoll : 2/4/2019 11:28 am : link
He's extremely well used in what the Patriots do, with the best quarterback of all time throwing to him. He is a very good receiver, and in the postseason has been lights out, but a guy who has eclipsed 1,000 yards receiving only twice in his career should not even be considered. Funny thing, there is only one game in Edelman's playoff career where he did not have at least one catch, and that was Super Bowl XLVI against the Giants, as a side note.
Edelman played well...  
bw in dc : 2/4/2019 11:28 am : link
but didn’t score a TD and didn’t have a signature play.

The score was 13-3. A defensive struggle. That’s what the game will be remembered for...

Thus, this was the ideal situation to give an MVP to a defensive player. And therefore it should’ve been either Hightower or Gilmore.
Edelman's signature play  
PaulBlakeTSU : 2/4/2019 11:36 am : link
was him waiting for the ball to get to him with no one within 3-5 yards of him.

The broadcast showed that play over and over again, except instead of it being a replay of one play, it was him doing it over and over again.
Brady was 11/23 for 121 yards and an INT  
PaulBlakeTSU : 2/4/2019 11:41 am : link
when throwing to anyone other than Edelman last night.
RE: Edelman is NOT a Hall of Famer  
Big Blue '56 : 2/4/2019 11:41 am : link
In comment 14286723 ShockNRoll said:
Quote:
He's extremely well used in what the Patriots do, with the best quarterback of all time throwing to him. He is a very good receiver, and in the postseason has been lights out, but a guy who has eclipsed 1,000 yards receiving only twice in his career should not even be considered. Funny thing, there is only one game in Edelman's playoff career where he did not have at least one catch, and that was Super Bowl XLVI against the Giants, as a side note.


Vereen redux
In terms of the perfect Patriots’ fit,  
Big Blue '56 : 2/4/2019 11:42 am : link
that is
Did you see this guy run routes in the instant replays?  
Jimmy Googs : 2/4/2019 11:46 am : link
he's like on an overdose of amphetamines out there...
I'd have given it to the punter, myself  
Bill L : 2/4/2019 11:49 am : link
Field position played a huge role. The Rams had so many drives beginning near their end zone.
The comparison isn't Eli re the HoF with Edelman.  
BlueLou'sBack : 2/4/2019 12:04 pm : link
It's Toomer, Barber, and Bavaro.

Maybe especially Bavaro, who in fewer years and with far fewer receptions (350 vs. 500) gained 80% of Erelman's yards and scored 39 TDs to Edelman's 30. Bavaro averaged well more YPC and is still widely regarded as one of the best blocking TEs in the history of the NFL.

Edelman is a great first down maker, playing with the greatest QB in the history of the game in a short passing game designed offense.

HoF at this point my Ass.
Hightower or Gilmore.  
BlueLou'sBack : 2/4/2019 12:05 pm : link
Let em split it.
RE: Gilmore  
Tuckrule : 2/4/2019 12:08 pm : link
In comment 14286563 SHO'NUFF said:
Quote:
on the Pat's D


Great call. Didn’t think of that
RE: RE: Edelman  
Zeke's Alibi : 2/4/2019 12:14 pm : link
In comment 14286704 BillKo said:
Quote:
In comment 14286671 PaulBlakeTSU said:


Quote:


dominated the game. He not only got open, but he got wide open all game. Brady never had it so easy.

It's funny, though. He was suspended 4 games for PEDs to start the season. Imagine a baseball player suspended 40 games to start the season for PEDs, and then everyone talking about him being a HOFer in this era.

It blows me away how much less people associated with the sport that breaks people's brains care about PEDs.



Guy tears his ACL.

Then comes back, but is suspended for games for PEDs.

Think that helped his recovery? He's comes back better t than ever. What else is he taking which isn't being detected.......


These guys all take PEDs. To believe they don't is just naive.
he is def juicin  
Dave : 2/4/2019 12:38 pm : link
beards don't grow like that on their own

MVP for Edelman for sure  
ChaChing : 2/4/2019 1:09 pm : link
His game reminded me of Cruz in the NFCC. HUGE in the first half, quiet in the 2nd. But got open & made every big play and we needed every one...basically dominated for a half

HOF? It's tough to be 2nd to Rice in postseason receptions and not ask the question. But he's had a weaker regular season career in HOF terms. We could compare with Welker who had much better regular season productivity, but likely not HOF. If he had JE's postseason stats? Maybe...

So JE for HOF? At best he has a long way to go, but atm no
CMB on WFAN  
Bubba : 2/4/2019 2:00 pm : link
trashing Edelman getting MVP because of PEDs suspension, saying he should not have been eligible. My mind keeps going to Ray Lewis winning MVP against us.
RE: CMB on WFAN  
BillKo : 2/4/2019 2:02 pm : link
In comment 14287025 Bubba said:
Quote:
trashing Edelman getting MVP because of PEDs suspension, saying he should not have been eligible. My mind keeps going to Ray Lewis winning MVP against us.


That's kinda sour grapes. If he's eligible to play, he's eligible to win the award.

RE: Edelman is a perfect choice  
JoeyBigBlue : 2/4/2019 2:12 pm : link
In comment 14286330 George from PA said:
Quote:
As he is a grinder, typical NE player.

Probably doesn't start on any other team, but their, he is a Super Bowl MVP.


I’d take Edelman over the wildly overrated Sterling Shepard every day of the week.
Edelman was the correct pick.  
redwhiteandbigblue : 2/4/2019 7:28 pm : link
Edelman is the epitome of the slot possession receiver. Great hands, fearless running across the Middle and one of the best route runners I have ever seen. The closest we ever had to him was Ike Hilliard and Edelman is better. People tend to think of Edelman just in the post season but they forget in 8 seasons he has 2 seasons with 1000 yards+ and 3 seasons with 92 or more receptions. He is not a #3 receiver. He would be a #1 on more than half the teams in the NFL.
Edelman  
idiotsavant : 2/4/2019 7:34 pm : link
7th rounder. Shorty. Kent state not a big football school.

Handful of rings.

Only regular standout O player in that game
Consistent  
idiotsavant : 2/4/2019 7:43 pm : link
Is the word I was looking for.

Which, in a defensive struggle, can be dominant.
Back to the Corner