Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

NFT: Yankees have offered Manny

Beer Man : 2/9/2019 10:56 am
a seven to eight year deal at $220M, according to a few sources
SI - ( New Window )
I have no idea I feel this is true  
BigBlueShock : 2/9/2019 11:00 am : link
But admittedly have a hard time believing it. Unless this is an offer that they’ve made in the past few hours I’d have to believe that Machado would have taken that and signed in a millisecond considering the other offers we’ve seen reported. Guess we will see.
Saw a seperate article during the  
Beer Man : 2/9/2019 11:02 am : link
week that stated both Manny and Harp are looking for $300M deals. So I guess this only gain traction if the season draws near and there are no takers near their asking price
.  
arcarsenal : 2/9/2019 11:03 am : link
I think both guys still really want 300M and closer to 10 years and are still holding out for that.

Problem is - I don't think anyone's going to offer it.

I think that report about the Nationals offering 350M or something like that was complete BS. Harper would have been inked already if that were the case. He'll never get an offer better than that - I don't think it was ever offered at all.
RE: .  
BleedBlue : 2/9/2019 11:07 am : link
In comment 14291559 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
I think both guys still really want 300M and closer to 10 years and are still holding out for that.

Problem is - I don't think anyone's going to offer it.

I think that report about the Nationals offering 350M or something like that was complete BS. Harper would have been inked already if that were the case. He'll never get an offer better than that - I don't think it was ever offered at all.



i agree, it def wasnt. i think teams in general want to avoid these contracts. they see how the yanks have built a great young core lol

that being said, MM would be a good signing for the yanks as it gives them some options in infield as well as trade potential(andujar) to upgrade starting rotation
It seems (at the moment anyway)  
Beer Man : 2/9/2019 11:09 am : link
teams are trying to be a little more fiscally responsible. I can see the Yanks not wanting to go too far into luxury tax territory, particularly when they have a newer stadium to pay off.
...  
christian : 2/9/2019 11:13 am : link
I could see this going the JD Martinez route. He essentially signed a 2/50 or 3/72 -- his choice.

My guess Manny signs something like 5/175 -- with 60 across the first 2 years and an opt out after 2 as well.
Jim Duquette  
Beer Man : 2/9/2019 11:19 am : link
is now clarifying that his statement was only speculation and not based on anything he had heard. I hate this time of year when sports writers are starving for material.
If true, I would think there's a decent shot  
Strahan91 : 2/9/2019 11:21 am : link
Manny winds up a Yankee. Based on everything else we've heard, it seems that his offers aren't much higher than this and he wants to be a Yankee. My guess is that Machado's camp possibly leaked this to get the WS and/or Phillies to up their offer.

That or the only reason he hasn't signed yet is because they're trying to get the Yankees to increase this offer before accepting.
I heard  
mdthedream : 2/9/2019 12:17 pm : link
this today on New England sports radio station.
So the Phillies are ready to outbid any offers but there are  
wgenesis123 : 2/9/2019 12:28 pm : link
no serious offers to outbid. So how long do the Phillies sit on their hands?
RE: So the Phillies are ready to outbid any offers but there are  
Deejboy : 2/9/2019 12:31 pm : link
In comment 14291623 wgenesis123 said:
Quote:
no serious offers to outbid. So how long do the Phillies sit on their hands?

I think they want Harper and are not that in on Machado cause they know he wants to go to the Yankees. If he doesn't take this offer, if it is true, then he really just wants money and doesn't care about the Yankees. Again, I think the Phillies want Harper and of course they aren't getting both.
It SOUNDS like a real offer  
rich in DC : 2/9/2019 12:31 pm : link
$30M per sounds about right. I also wonder whether that is a "top line" number, but really has options, like Britton's deal?

As many here know, I have been in the "get Manny" camp since last spring training and have been lukewarm at best on Harper.

It does seem a little odd that they would offer this after making the move for DJ- unless DJ is going into a Randy Velarde everyday guy who plays somewhere else every game role?

One would also have to think that Andujar is left as the odd man out in this situation. The only likely remaining option to him would be DH- and that would require bumping Stanton out to LF, which isn't ideal from a defensive standpoint. LF in Yankee Stadium is huge- and it is only because Gardner is really a CF playing LF that people haven't noticed how difficult LF actually is in the Stadium.

Other option- try to revive those trade talks with the Padres or try to work a 3-way deal to get a high end SP. The problem is that this late in the off-season, teams might be more reluctant to give up an ace or #2 level SP because it will be harder to replace them.
One of the infielders not named Manny could end up playing  
wgenesis123 : 2/9/2019 12:36 pm : link
in the outfield.
RE: One of the infielders not named Manny could end up playing  
rich in DC : 2/9/2019 1:03 pm : link
In comment 14291634 wgenesis123 said:
Quote:
in the outfield.


I think DJ is the only one capable of that. Torres has never played there. Neither has Didi. Andujar strugles at 3B- OF might be a disaster.
Tulo could be odd man out if Manny comes  
Stan in LA : 2/9/2019 1:25 pm : link
Manny at short & Miggy at 3rd 'till Didi get healthy.
RE: Tulo could be odd man out if Manny comes  
Strahan91 : 2/9/2019 1:29 pm : link
In comment 14291667 Stan in LA said:
Quote:
Manny at short & Miggy at 3rd 'till Didi get healthy.

Good point. This seems like the most likely scenario. They'd first probably see if Tulo can cut it at short and Andujar can cut it at LF or 1st just in case but Tulo can easily be cut.
That’s over 31 per.  
Giant John : 2/9/2019 1:49 pm : link
To play with the Yankees? He should be all over that.
First of all...  
Milton : 2/9/2019 1:59 pm : link
It's not according to a "few sources" it's according to one source who admits it is just pure speculation!

But confirmation bias has some of you off to the races despite the fact that you've been fed bullshit time and time again this hot stove season.

Remember when Manny had three offers on the table and was going to make up his mind after New Year's?

p.s.--the fact that it was a "seven or eight" year deal for $220M should've been the give away. It has to be one or the other, there's no such thing as a seven or eight year deal for a fixed amount of dollars!
RE: Jim Duquette  
djm : 2/9/2019 3:04 pm : link
In comment 14291575 Beer Man said:
Quote:
is now clarifying that his statement was only speculation and not based on anything he had heard. I hate this time of year when sports writers are starving for material.


That really is ridiculous. The fact that Duquette might even deserve praise for coming clean is even more alarming when you think about it. Rarely do you see that but to be fair the other journalists and writers will usually disguise or veil their comments (speculation) in better fashion than Duquette did. He’ll learn.
I read that Jim Duquette didn't speculate.  
robbieballs2003 : 2/9/2019 3:12 pm : link
He just passed along a rumor he heard but there was nothing factual about it. But he didn't just make it up to my understanding.

Quote:
Jim Duquette

✔@Jim_Duquette

To clarify a report out there attributed to me, I was only speculating about a recent rumor that I had heard, not “reporting it as fact” .

Yankees have moved on...  
GFAN52 : 2/9/2019 3:13 pm : link
The Machado ship sailed with the DJ LeMahieu.
Bullshit  
PaulN : 2/9/2019 4:09 pm : link
All the non ns, the spoiled brat new fan, move on and think of something else.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Yanks made this offer months ago  
GiantJake : 2/9/2019 4:22 pm : link
I also wouldn't be surprised if the Yanks made the same offer to Harper. Rather than get into the bidding wasr, they put an offer out there that they were comfortable with and hoped one of them would take it. Neither did, so the Yanks moved on.
The aftermath of Prince Fielder Pujois David Price and like deals  
xman : 2/9/2019 4:47 pm : link
have caused owners to open their eyes. Shorter deals allows more FA's to become available and give owners more choices at better prices. Thats the way its trending

Next union contract should attempt to correct the inequities in players salaries. Substantially raise the entry level contract. Cap arbitration increases and reign in top end salaries.
RE: The aftermath of Prince Fielder Pujois David Price and like deals  
Matt in SGS : 2/9/2019 6:01 pm : link
In comment 14291775 xman said:
Quote:
have caused owners to open their eyes. Shorter deals allows more FA's to become available and give owners more choices at better prices. Thats the way its trending

Next union contract should attempt to correct the inequities in players salaries. Substantially raise the entry level contract. Cap arbitration increases and reign in top end salaries.


There is something to that. But I think you can thank analytics which has essentially placed a value on players and the mega deals just don't fix the data metrics that teams are seeing. Essentially you went from the Bill James' sabermetrics view of player evaluation that has been mainstream for years now, but now teams are hiring data scientists to further evaluate and place a price tag on players and contracts.

And there is probably a strike coming too...which has a lot to do with this.
RE: Bullshit  
arcarsenal : 2/9/2019 6:52 pm : link
In comment 14291756 PaulN said:
Quote:
All the non ns, the spoiled brat new fan, move on and think of something else.


Angriest guy ever. LOL.

They literally made the old man yells at cloud meme for Paul.
Probably Yanks started the rumor...  
M.S. : 2/10/2019 6:50 am : link

...to placate their fans by pretending they are at least "trying" to sign Machado, but with no real intention.

Smart move.
RE: Probably Yanks started the rumor...  
rich in DC : 2/10/2019 9:09 am : link
In comment 14292144 M.S. said:
Quote:

...to placate their fans by pretending they are at least "trying" to sign Machado, but with no real intention.

Smart move.


I was actually thinking something altogether different.

Going into the winter, I think the belief was universal that Machado and Harper would go well past Stanton's $325M deal in total dollars.

If the bidding universe is now at $270-280, in Yankee dollars, that's a big discount.

I wonder if Cashman is trying to sell Hal on the idea that the Yanks are getting a steal at that price and he should move. I doubt Cashman would float that number without at least some approval.

There is also the possibility that Machado's camp is putting this out there to get the Phillies and White Sox to bump their offers upward.
rich, one of the major  
section125 : 2/10/2019 9:21 am : link
teams should go 5 or 6 years at $30-$32 mill per with a 3rd or 4th year opt out. Gets one of the big boys signed, entices them to sign at fair number with the chance to see what the market bares down the road and go for more gold....
Harper will not accept a short term deal per Heyman  
Ssanders9816 : 2/12/2019 11:27 am : link
“Despite rumored offers/wishes of teams, word is Bryce Harper is not signing — or even considering — short-term deals.“
and Heyman can tell us that  
CardinalX : 2/12/2019 4:49 pm : link
and have an equal chance of being right or wrong. He doesn't know. he's speculating. i'm certain Boras nor Harper has definitively told him that or anything else.

i'd bet if the Tokyo Yakult Swallows offered him $150mill on a 1yr deal Bryce or anyone would likely take it.
Heyman is pretty well understood  
bigbluehoya : 2/12/2019 4:54 pm : link
to be a shill for Boras. He's just paying the piper here.
RE: Harper will not accept a short term deal per Heyman  
section125 : 2/12/2019 5:33 pm : link
In comment 14294429 Ssanders9816 said:
Quote:
“Despite rumored offers/wishes of teams, word is Bryce Harper is not signing — or even considering — short-term deals.“


So, he will sit home and wait by the phone? Ok, offer him 10 years, $20 mill per year.

He will sign a deal that gets him the best money, short term(5-6 years) or whatever the length...
RE: RE: The aftermath of Prince Fielder Pujois David Price and like deals  
HomerJones45 : 2/12/2019 5:42 pm : link
In comment 14291811 Matt in SGS said:
Quote:
In comment 14291775 xman said:


Quote:


have caused owners to open their eyes. Shorter deals allows more FA's to become available and give owners more choices at better prices. Thats the way its trending

Next union contract should attempt to correct the inequities in players salaries. Substantially raise the entry level contract. Cap arbitration increases and reign in top end salaries.



There is something to that. But I think you can thank analytics which has essentially placed a value on players and the mega deals just don't fix the data metrics that teams are seeing. Essentially you went from the Bill James' sabermetrics view of player evaluation that has been mainstream for years now, but now teams are hiring data scientists to further evaluate and place a price tag on players and contracts.

And there is probably a strike coming too...which has a lot to do with this.
Good points.
Back to the Corner